Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Congratulations - although weren't you worried about Semaj being that close?

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Just after that screen was taken Immy dropped 4 Gnolls on top of bro head whilst the rest of us killed Semaj, arrows of dispell knocked his shield down while the adds had no issues hitting a stationary target... they both died within two rounds. I feel I should point out that bro would normally have made his save but I’m happy to capitalise on his misfortune.

edit p.s. I forgot to say thanks guys! :wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 14 July 2012 - 10:40 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Cautious Pendal and curvy Thimble, gnome fighter illusionist multiplayers.

Thimble needs a replacement helmet so we take one from blinded Neira. Same for Pendal and a war hammer, donated by a blinded Bassilus. Melicamp the chicken fails his transformation but contingency:crash means he has a second chance and survives.

Mulahey gets blocked in, and we disrupt his spells to kill him. Then his skeletons are dismantled and his kobolds experience fatal nightmares. Lamahla and her gang fall to blindness and sleep, but invoke powerword:crash to force a re-match (another battle you don't really want to fight twice in a no reload). Even when an ankheg joins in we manage to kill them again.

Nimbul and Tranzig fall for blindness but Meilum resists three times and instead collects a few arrows and heavier throwing axes.

As Pendal and Thimble rest they read a bit more about the Icewind Dale Ten Towns adventures of Tropp and Grouch. Tropp may have been having fun fighting the hordes of undead, but Grouch was suffering from extreme lag (both on wireless connections, with xbox and video streaming active my side so must have been awful). Despite this, Grouch manages to stay alive and just shades the session. With an ice maiden called Lysan dead the pair sell a few items before collecting a reward from Kresselack (spelt right this time). More item bartering follows and a conversation with the friendly arch-druid. Pendal and Thimble close the tome once more, looking forward to the next chapter.

Tropp has 233 (+33) kills, Imbued wight. Grouch has 247 (+39) kills, mummy.

Game has been crashing on the rest screen a lot, had about 10 restarts this session.

Pendal has 114 (+53) kills, Greywolf. Thimble has 62 (+33) kills, winter wolf.

Edited by Gate70, 14 July 2012 - 02:26 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Nice work USSNorway. I'm glad to see more company for Trendan in Amn!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Brang the dwarven barbarian, Dead (or Alive)

Dead: Dabron Sashenstar, Jalantha Mistmyr, Meilum.

Potion prep then Potioned up with a greenstone amulet charge. Video of Zhalimar Cloudewulfe and his Iron Throne mercenaries lasting about a minute in combat (had already landed one hit on Aasim before activating the amulet). Sorry about blurriness but haven't worked out how to make a clip look acceptable on Photobucket.

A quick dash to Sorcerous Sundries to identify & sell everything looted except the ring of freedom, then straight to Duke Eltan and on to Candlekeep with buffs active. I take a ring from Koveras and realise I am being framed for murder so hand myself into the authorities. Tethtoril releases me into the library catacombs and I quickly loot a trio of tombs before busting up a series of doppelgangers.

Most of the potion buffs from the Iron Throne HQ are still active. I've glugged a potion of regeneration, two healing potions, equipped the ring of freedom and enraged to deal with Prat, Sakul, Tam and Bor.

A potion of mirror eyes helps against two greater doppelgangers, and I rest in the wilderness to obtain two Draw Upon Holy Might abilities.

168k xp now, but not levelling up further.

Edited by Gate70, 14 July 2012 - 05:21 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Brang the dwarven barbarian, Dead (or Alive)

Time to try my DUHM/enrage combo in a slugfest. The test subject (Larze) chunks with 29/129hp remaining, so good but not likely to be effective against Sarevok without further buffs.

Slythe uses powerword:crash but an auto-save keeps him dead. Krystin cloudkills me, her and Quenash too. DUHM and enrage are in place as I slice through her protections.

With invites in hand I am able to interrupt the coronation assassination. I've had a wee tipple beforehand (cloud giant strength, invulnerability, heroism, oil of speed, DUHM) so I'm a bit giddy on my feet. I hit the nearest doppelganger but they swarm the dukes so I use the wand of sleep. Two doze off so I start on the other three. Success, both dukes survive and I get to fight Sarevok. I step back after he hits me three times, and he teleports away.

Belt sends me after Sarevok, but I detour to pick up a few items. Into the thieves maze (another crash here while attempting to rest, will try disabling movies), and ready to enter the abandoned temple.

Sarevok is slowed before he can open his mouth. It's not long before Angelo and Semaj have de-buffed me so I start glugging potions while dispelling their buffs. First to fall is Angelo followed by Semaj because my repeated de-buffs leave him vulnerable to self-immolation.

Sarevok walks into a web trap so I get some free shots until Tazok arrives. He gets stuck too so I quickly move and target him. He takes several shots before collapsing, leaving Sarevok and myself to play inside the web.

I glug a potion of power as he gets stuck for a second time, taking him to badly injured before he struggles free. I try for another trap, shoving him into a skulltrap for 10 damage then finishing my 40 acid arrows. On to arrows of piercing.

Two more skulltraps and he is nearly dead so I switch to Varscona, change cloak and ring (hasted while he's being skulled), run the length of the temple and just cast DUHM as he arrives.

Another web has sprung, but Sarevok evades it. Time to die Sarevok (note text on right is continuation of that on left).

I'm badly wounded, but heal twice and glug potions of regeneration then speed and attack Rahvin. He and Carston are hurting me with arrows and although they are all also wounded my earlier injuries mean I have to retreat first. I pick them off one at a time and eventually track down the stricken Shaldrissa. Belt will be pleased with this.

The magic protection scroll means I can run through the thieves maze. My barbarian speed, boots of speed and oil of speed help me traverse it in moments and seconds later I am back with Belt, then sleeping in a forest. Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Khalid and Dynaheir turn up and their noise brings trouble down on us.

Inventory
Record
Information

Edited by Gate70, 14 July 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congratulation, Gate! Safe travels in Amn.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
A little light on the AC for my taste but a solid ran Gate70... have fun in Amn.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Serg Blackstrider
Congratulation, Gate! Safe travels in Amn.

Thanks, but I'm tempted to retire him and focus on BG2 for a while with Ascension to see if it plays differently in BG2 to BGT. Also a bit of SCS II (Abazigal component but perhaps some other bits). Fluffed my install - had an invisible Brang and Imoen when I tested it so need to start again I expect.

ussnorway
A little light on the AC for my taste but a solid ran Gate70... have fun in Amn.

He'd dropped it for most of the run. 1 for cloak of Balduran, 1 for ring +2 and 2 I think for the shield. The only better armour than a ring +2 for a barbarian belongs to Drizzt (+4) and Baresh (+3)  if I'm not mistaken.

Pendal/Gate70 and Thimble/Grond0, gnome fighter illusionists
Multiplayer tip of the day. Disable Movies=1 should not be enabled by non-protaganists as nobody can move until they leave the session. Works well for protaganists with cutscene issues (me) though.

We start our day late (see tip above on how to waste an hour or so) by helping Bjornin and Brage. A brief encounter with Zordral turns ugly when he mirror images and saves against three blindness spells. We escape outside then Thimble returns inside and out a few more times. Why fight one mirrored Zordral when you can have three? Needless to say a few potions were glugged to counter Melf's acid arrows and Larloch's minor drain. After that we end the day early for Ardenor Crush and Taugosz Khosann.

Venkt proves to be troublesome, resisting repeated blinds. There is comedy as his casting of horror closes in and the door is too thin for us both to use at the same time. Ladies first, but hurry please!

We have to repeat our exit a second time. Thimble opts to stay inside at the third attempt and kills Raemon, returning outside to help with Venkt. Britik follows us out next, leaving Hakt to wait alone for his doom.

Thimble takes a lightning trap full-on, failing her saving throw. She dodges the rebounds and leaves with 3hp. We'd forgotten to loot Mulahey so his boots of grounding are not available for such shocking endeavours.

We kill some spiders for Landrin, then Thimble tries to get a second pair of golden pantaloons to no avail. After the earlier extended rests we realise time is getting on so quickly fly through Cloakwood, being careful to kill the spiders and ettercaps near Chelak (or Tiber, whichever).

A guard, spiders and bear fall for sleep/blindness, then two guards on a bridge are dealt with. We're sure of a welcome just ahead so call it a day and settle down to read another Ten Towns episode by the campfire.

Tropp (gnome F/T, Gate70) and Grouch (dwarf fighter, Grond0) force their way through the ransacked Temple of the Forgotten God and find evidence of mass poisoning inside. Arundel suggests this points to Dragons Eye and after briefly helping a maddened ogre this is where the adventurers head. The first level of Dragons Eye sees lizard men shamans successfully hold both Tropp and Grouch while the lizard man king deals out massive hits (1st reload).

Tropp uses his trusted (+3ac) helm, heavy reinforced shield and flail plus a free action charge (from his cloak, 2 left), adding potions of stone form and regeneration to bottleneck the hard-hitting lizard man king behind other lizard men. Grouch kills both shamans and the king with arrows leaving the rest of the area much safer to clear. They retreat three times while resting, then guard the 2nd floor entrance of Dragons Eye.

Tropp has 274 (+41) kills, Imbued wight.
Grouch is making his fighter levels count, 317 (+70) kills, mummy.

Pendal F5/I4 with 44hp. 147 (+33) kills, Taugosz Khosann.
Thimble F5/I4 with 33hp . 96 (+32) kills, Raemon.
(Is Grond0 using a 1d4 dice to keep Thimble curvy?)

Edited by Gate70, 15 July 2012 - 06:29 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grats on taking down Sarevok, Gate70. Glad to have more company for Trendan in the BG 2 no-reload thread.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
 OK, here's another bit of news of BlackStrider (Priest of Helm) & Co (Werewolf Isle):

Jaheira really shone here as pretty much soloed the whole Isle with minimal support of the party. With all those magic resistance beasts 'twas almost pure melee with Wands of Heavens / Paralyzation / Cold support:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

After coming back to mainland we restocked and recharged our wands and even tho at the moment only Imoen doesn't hit level cap we can't resist of the Durlag's Tower calling so that is our next destination.

Current state:

BlackStrider - Priest of Helm (8), 299 kills (Seniyad);
Imoen - Thief (6) / Mage (8) , 225 kills (Invisible Stalker); 1 death (Shoal's kiss);
Jaheira - Fighter (7) / Druid (8), 778 kills (Greater Wolfwere);
Khalid - Fighter (8), 675 kills (Greater Basilisk);
Dynaheir - Invoker (9), 135 kills (Vampiric Wolf); 1 death (Delgod);
Viconia - Cleric (8), 67 kills (Doomsayer)

to be continued...

BelgarathMTH

BelgarathMTH
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts
Gratz, Blackstrider. Nice screenshots.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Interesting way to do the isle of dogs. btw what mod is responsible for the extended roll information?

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@ BelgarathMTH & Gate: Thanks :)

Gate70 wrote...

Interesting way to do the isle of dogs. btw what mod is responsible for the extended roll information?

It's not a mod. You can set it in baldur.ini:

Extra Combat info:
Found in [Game Options]:
Extra Combat Info=1
When activated, displays all hit roll and damage roll calculations in detail.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Interesting Serg, I never knew about the extra combat information either.  Should be a method to solve the occasional puzzle.

I don't think I've ever had a serious attempt at a triple class character, so thought I'd have a try with a fighter / mage / thief.  She has explored most of the map areas available and is about to try and reduce the basilisk population before getting on with the main quest.

Most of the time she's just acted as a fighter, though she's using darts as her main weapon, which is not my normal choice.  No backstabbing thus far, though she's made a small amount of use of stealth.  She's also tried pickpocketing three times - Algernon (successful on the 4th or 5th attempt), the merchant with boots and the guy selling a stone to flesh scroll (failed every time until he went hostile). 

She's also made occasional use of mage buffing with shield and, even more rarely, mirror image as well as putting the odd blind in.  Only potion use was the potion of clarity from Candlekeep + a giant strength potion to breeze through the sirenes on the way to the pirate cave.

Just the one close call fairly early on in a bandit ambush.  She did have potions of healing available, but was keeping a careful eye on the bandit to hit rolls at this point and didn't have to use one before running off the edge of the map. 

Here's her current character record (note that she hasn't used the constitution tome yet as my experience suggests that you get better bonuses for a multi-class character when using it after achieving levels rather than before - due to the way fractions are dealt with).
Posted Image

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Interesting Serg, I never knew about the extra combat information either.  Should be a method to solve the occasional puzzle.

Glad to provide useful information:)  I found it quite helpful.
And good luck with Sile!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

Grond0 wrote...

And good luck with Sile!

Just been looking. Pity they don't set it to 0 as default instead of omitting it and referencing in the power user readme. Some of the items are in there, others are not.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

Grond0 wrote...

And good luck with Sile!

Just been looking. Pity they don't set it to 0 as default instead of omitting it and referencing in the power user readme. Some of the items are in there, others are not.

Yes. But at the same time most other options aren't that useful.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Pendal and Thimble, gnome fighter illusionist multiplayers.

Drasus and his pals are next on the list. Thimble is a triple sticky webber, Pendal a stinky cloud. Drasus and Genthore are blinded while the mages collect arrows.

Thimble switches to a pair of axes and full plate armour to melee the mine, almost coming unstuck when a second ghast holds her. Pendal shoots it down and heals her while she waits for the paralysation to wear off.

Hareishan fires a lightning bolt into the alcove that Thimble is hiding in, frying her. The bolt moves at a strange angle to another alcove (this is not just a lightning bolt, it's an intelligent lightning bolt) where Pendal has retreated to. He glugs a potion of absorbtion but his aura is clouded and it only takes effect after the damage is done. Wasted potion and a dead companion, with more work to do.

He uses mirror images, reflected image and shield before shooting down a partially invisible Hareishan. Then a series of arrows capped with blindness to take the final guards before storing items and paying 800gp at a distant temple to raise Thimble from the dead.

Back at Cloakwood mine various stored items are retrieved from a small crate, Pendal doesn't know how he fitted it all in as the container is smaller than his backpack. With two casters it makes sense to look for mage items, so Natasha is killed - another close call seeing Thimble poisoned several times. Once the sole green potion has been glugged Pendal uses a special ability on Thimble to stop a second poison, but then she is forced to glug blue potions to counter the next poison, and has enough life left to do the same with a fourth (think, unless the 3rd just lasted a long time).

The gnomes are exhausted, as are their spells. Pendal has two left, a reflected image and haste. He casts both before resting, in case guards arrive mid-nap.

Two battle horrors are meleed one at a time, the first one blinded and the other not. Thimble has used mirror images, shield and full plate armour while Pendal has used haste. He buffs as Thimble has her images removed one by one and is ready to swap over but she manages to outlast the battle horror. Pendal uses his buffs to set off the remaining traps and although Davaeorn teleports away he is casting a spell from great distance.

A lightning bolt hits Pendal, triggering a rush for safety. Instead the bolt follows both gnomes into a corner and fries Thimble with a number of hits. Pendal avoids a similar fate by glugging a potion of magic resistance combined with his many images, something suggested by Thimble but she didn't bother with her potion. Pendal has taken some damage though and decides discretion is called for, leaving Davaeorn for another day.

800gp more sees Thimble up again. On her return to the mine a pile of equipment is retrieved from another container. Davaeorn doesn't put up much of a fight this time, deciding to melee us. His mistake, as fireball, hold person and summoning ettercaps, ogres or ghasts would be annoying. Thimble is meleeing back but Pendal uses two unidentified blue (ice) arrows to kill Davaeorn.

Thimble decides to stay in the flooded mine to fight the guard worried about side-effects of his job (dropping Grond0 from the game at the same time). As soon as the troublesome guard is dead Thimble gemjumps back to Pendal. It seems a good place to stop and read a bit more about the Ten Towns.

Tropp (gnome F/T, Gate70) and Grouch (dwarf fighter, Grond0)
This page of the tome describes the need to be properly prepared. Specifically, take a lot of potions with you and try to use weapons you are proficient with. Tropp and Grouch haven't bothered too much with that sort of thing.

Dragons Eye level 2 sees a second reload (held by beetles), not helped by numerous trolls which threaten to require more than the few arrows (fire, acid) and jars of flaming oil to hand. Then a third reload (held by 4 priests while attacked by trolls). & a fourth (same fight). Charge 2/3 of the free action cloak sees the battle won at the third attempt.

Level 3 of Dragons Eye has blast skeletons, undead lieutentants and Cold wights. A caster called Presio is killed before Tropp springs two traps (trying to disarm from the wrong side).

By this time Tropp has picked up a magic flail (+2, 20% chance of stun) so is finally proficient in melee, and an unidentified dagger (Presio's, poison chance?) to backstab with if he chooses to be non-proficient in the shadows.

Level 4 is an underground priest retreat. Tropp opens the "wrong door" and a mass of enemies poison both adventurers repeatedly. It takes a while to break out of the area and use bows to better effect. There is more to do but the duo are left alone briefly so retreat to rest as they are both severely injured.

Pendal and Thimble suspect they have skipped over a hidden item (I think. Need to check a read-me).

Tropp fighter 7/thief 9 has 338 (+64) kills, Presio.
Grouch fighter 8, 426 (+109) kills, mummy.

Pendal F5/I5 with 48hp. 182 (+35) kills, Davaeorn.
Thimble F5/I5 with 36hp . 130 (+34) kills, Battle Horror.

Edited by Gate70, 17 July 2012 - 10:45 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Update for Sile F6/M6/T7.

She duly finished off the basilisks using her own protection from petrification and made use of a pet ghoul to deal with Mutamin and the party in the area.  One oddity there was when she switched to her flail to deal with an intruding gnoll and the mere action of switching weapons caused it to break even before combat started.

Moving on to the Nashkel mine she breezed down to Mulahey and used a skull trap to deprive him of most of his supporters.  She was still depending on flails, so backstabs don't work, but there was no need for them to finish off Mulahey anyway.

A single hit also dealt with Nimbul, while Tranzig wasn't much more of a problem as she moved on to the bandit camp.  Stealth was used to clean up most of the bandits, but Taugosz succumbed to blindness.  Inside the tent a potion of firebreath failed to incinerate Venkt (who was protected by mirror images), but did deal with the other 3.

Before going to the Cloakwood Sile took a trip to UIgoth's Beard and acquired the green amulet and ring of free action.  With the latter in hand she quickly moved to the mine, where a couple of webs held the casters long enough for her to finish them off before they could get a spell off.  Stealthing down to Daveorn she pulled the battle horrors away and put on plate armour long enough to finish them off.

Daveorn himself should have been no problem, but while trying to get him to waste spells Sile's stealth failed and Daveorn changed direction at the wrong moment exposing her to a spell.  She had no potions guaranteed to protect her; a flask of invulnerability got her saving throw down to 4, although she would have saved anyway as it happened.

She is now at her level cap and has just arrived in Baldur's Gate.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Final update for Sile F6/M6/T7.

After picking up the dexterity tome and Helm of Balduran, Sile went after Ramazith for his ring, amulet and intelligence tome.  She stealthed up the stairs and a quick whack / magic missile combo did the trick.

A couple of thieving potions allowed her to pickpocket Quenash for her cloak and a cleric for his wisdom tome.  Then she stealthed through Iron Throne and was sent to Candlekeep.  It was nice to be able to disarm the traps there for once and identify the tomes immediately -  she used those and stealthed out.

After stopping off at Durlag's Tower to pick up the last tome (with the help of a first use of the green amulet), she returned to the city via Beregost.  While there she used the red potion to learn a few 1st level spells she'd cached during her travels.  However, she hadn't memorised strength beforehand so tried resting in the open - eventually the interfering guards allowed this!

In the city again she headed for Slythe.  Buffed up and pulled him back to be beaten up - Sile had blur active for an AC of -12 and Slythe failed to even disturb one of her mirror images.

At the palace 4 dopplegangers were pulled down to the basement and dealt with, before coming up for the last 2.  The final one killed Liia, but Belt survived to send Sile after Sarevok. 

I considered trying something adventurous, but decided to stay safe, so:
- used scroll of magic protection and stealthed through maze.
- detrapped area around columns, just in case Sile needed to stealth there.
- used arrows of dispelling on Sarevok (third one took effect).  Angelo was shooting arrows of detonation so Sile ran towards enemies and then used a potion of invisibility.  The others were hit by Angelo's arrows and quickly made him pay the price.
- a series of stealth shots dealt with Tazok and Semaj (with a couple of invisibility potions needed as well as Sile's stealth is not great).
- buffed for Sarevok before opening combat with a skull trap.  Despite Sile's -15 AC and mirror images she only just got Sarevok to near death before having to retreat.  After healing a bit she got Sarevok to where I thought he was about ready to give up and then brought the quasit out of her pack for the first time in the game.  He had about half a dozen attacks, but missed them all and Sile could no longer afford to just stand there, so brought out a screen of summons.  I couldn't be bothered to keep clicking on them to prevent them attacking and it was actually a hobgoblin that landed the final blow rather than the quasit.

After picking up pantaloons and Koveras' ring, Sile returned to the palace to be sent on to Amn.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congratulations, Grond0!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thanks, but she didn't do too well there due to poor concentration. I was busy killing the sea troll in the sewers when some of the kobolds near the rakshasa joined the party. I noticed a kobold witch doctor and quickly dispatched him, but there was also a kobold shaman who sneaked in a hold person (Sile even had Arbane in one of her equipment slots at the time, but didn't make use of it).

Blackmalkin

Blackmalkin
  • Members
  • 164 posts
Having finished with my other gaming obligations I finally decided to resume my druid party playthrough:

BALANCE AND BLOODSHED: A DRUID'S TALE

Chapter IV
in which lightning strikes more then twice

After the unfortunate event concerning the Amnish soldiers in Nashkel, party returned to Beregost. They heard a story about an evil cleric, who dabbled in necromancy instead of trade and finance, as any god-loving priest should. Cuta convinced her party to show him the error of his ways. But Bassilus (as that was the cleric’s name) refused to listen to reason. Balance and regional economic stability obviously meant nothing to him and discussion turned into a bloody battle in which party nearly perished to skeleton’s bolts, despite the help from a nearby hobgoblin (he was balanced before the first round was done).

Posted Image

Druma used Sheilagh during the fight and found out that it’s actually a +3 weapon, not just +1 as her friends have read in Candlekeep’s library. The realization angered blunt weapons proficient Cuta and made her distrust the written word in general. She now decided to cast Good Berries in hopes of using them as sling missiles with devastating effect.

After receiving a reward for Bassilus at the Morning’s Song Temple, party went east to balance the local wolf population. Good Berries proved ineffective against them, but provided for a delicious snack afterwards. It gave Cuta another idea – to make a fortune by selling them to the citizens of Beregost. Unfortunately they didn’t share the druid’s taste and no buyer was found.

Then party went south again to adjust the population growth of winter wolves. Once finished, they turned northwest to the area reputedly infested by basilisks. Ashoka was protected from petrification with a scroll and shielded the party from basilisks’ attacks. One of the beasts was charmed and wandered with a party for a bit. Druma grew really fond of him.
“He’s so cute!” She insisted. “Can we take him home?”
“They don’t want us at home.” Ashoka was happy to remind her. “Even without a basilisk”.
The basilisk was very helpful during a fight with a group of adventurers. He petrified both spellcasters (but not before the cleric held Atavrksha and Raudra), while Vrk charmed the swordsman and ordered him to attack the archer.

Posted Image

Then things got a little out of hand and the battle ended with basilisk and archer dead and rest of the enemy party petrified. After buying some Stone to Flesh scrolls the druids returned to extract the enemy equipment. Whole adventure proved very fruitful – pure druids reached level 5 and learned 3rd level spells while Druma started using her warrior abilities again. New spells were tested when party was attacked by a party of assassins, when traveling south of Gullykin. The spellcasters were treated with Miscast Magic. The cleric saved so he became the first victim of Call Lightning spell.

Posted Image

Ashoka and Druma finished the helpless mage with their flaming swords and then party just waited until the lightnings return and bring balance to the entangled warriors. Morvin’s last words were: “I told you we need some ranged weapons”. Molkar’s last words are not fit for print. Later party reached Durlag’s Tower to check if Entangle and Call Lightning wouldn’t work for battle horrors as well. They did.

Then party returned to Beregost, where Vrk and Atavrksha exchanged darts for slings, being tired of constantly having to reload. At the Feldepost’s Inn Ashoka drunk so much that the inkeeper refused to serve him. Before that happened, however, he told the party that a very suspicious man called Tranzig is staying at the inn. Atavrksha recalled that Tranzig was the name they found in Mulahey’s letters so they went upstairs to interrogate him. Charm Person or Mammal spell worked perfectly (as he obviously was a mammal) and Tranzig told them were to find Tazok, who seems be in charge of the whole operation. But for some reason their map was not updated until they hacked Tranzig to pieces. He mentioned a bandit camp somewhere in the Wood of Sharp Teeth so party headed there, after buying a Claw of Kazgaroth at Thalantyr’s (equipped by Raudra) and putting some skeletons to rest on their way.

Posted Image

They got lost, however, and ended up in Ulgoth’s Beard instead. There they bought a staff +3 (Cuta) and Cloak of Displacement (Atavrksha). Then they went back south and finally found the bandit camp. The bandits were easily balanced with slings, but their leader, Taugosz Khossan, looked rather formidable, so a few lightnings were summoned for him. Druids were rather surprised by the range of their spells – soon they started hearing lightning striking in distant regions of the camp.

The enemies that awaited at the main tent were more dangerous but the fight went well. Venkt, the mage, was hit with Miscast Magic and the gnoll, Britik, was charmed. Hakt, the hobgoblin archer, was enaged by Druma and panicked, faced with her flaming sword (he might have mistaken her for battle horror). Raemon, a human warrior, was entangled, so he produced a bow and started shooting at Britik, who was attacking Venkt. Ashoka and Cuta took pity on the poor gnoll and attacked Raemon, easily felling him. Venkt failed to cast Horror but succeeded at two Melf’s Arrows, killing Britik with one and seriously hurting Ashoka with the other. It was the only hit taken by the party during this fight.

A prisoner held at the tent, man named Ender Sai pointed at the Iron Throne as the group responsible for both the bandit attacks and the iron shortage. He also said that they are running some sort of operation in the Cloakwood. Raudra decided that they are surely breeding mutant squirrels there. Others were not as convinced, but agreed that whatever this Iron Throne is up, it cannot be good for balance.

Party status:
Atavrksha – druid 5, 38 HP, fav. spell: Entangle, 46 kills (battle horror)
Ashoka – fighter 4/druid 4, 42 HP, fav. spell: Entangle, 163 kills (greater basilisk)
Druma – fighter 3/druid 5, 44 HP, fav. spell: Flame Blade, 106 kills (vampiric wolf)
Cuta – druid 5, 47 HP, fav. spell: Entangle, 47 kills (greater basilisk)
Vrk – druid 5, 29 HP, fav. spell: Entangle, 37 kills (Molkar)
Raudra – druid 5, 36 HP, fav. spell: Entangle, 82 kills (battle squirrel)

Edited by Blackmalkin, 26 July 2012 - 09:05 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Welcome back Blackmalkin.

Pendal (Gate70) and Thimble (Grond0), gnome fighter illusionist multiplayers.

With Davaeorn dead the city of Baldur's Gate is open for business but a wrong turn sees us end up in Ulgoths Beard. The greenstone amulet is used twice against sirines as is haste. More haste plus arrows of biting help against three flesh golems and Thimble reads the tome avidly.

A brief trip to Durlags Tower sees a tome of wisdom obtained. A difference of religious opinions sees us with a second from a temple, albeit with our reputation halved (from 20 to 10). Thimble uses both tomes to bump her lore up.

Thimble has the helm of Balduran but the Brawlers of Undermountain catch her unawares, leaving Pendal under the protection of Gorpal Hind. He almost kills Wilf but sees a spell cast so runs and is held out of sight. Gorpal Hind and Gretek don't seem keen to fight so once Pendal has recovered he blinds Gretek and shoots him with arrows. 800gp is spent raising Thimble at a temple.

Our plan is to sneak up on Ramazith but Thimble attacks kobold commando's because Pendal is faffing around on the staircase and she thought he was about to attack. Only later does she realise he was stuck behind her and had no intention of breaking cover. Regardless, the kobolds and mage are now dead and Thimble has bumped her intelligence/lore further still.

The Iron Throne HQ plan is to use one staircase each to launch a series of short attacks. We open with fireballs and retreat. A second appearance sees Thimble cast another fireball while Pendal is about to blind Zhalimar Cloudewulfe before retreating again.

Gardush chases Pendal this time, while Diyab and Aasim chase Thimble. She kills Diyab first as Pendal shoots at them with arrows of biting (2 hits, 2 saves). Pendal retreats another level as Thimble heads upstairs.

Gardush follows Pendal again until he is blinded. Meanwhile Thimble has returned to kill Aasim and her boots of speed have her onto Gardush just as his vision goes. We loot our way to the fifth floor where Thimble steps over the crispy doppelganger corpse (top right of next screenshot) to melee Naaman (he casts horror - we are protected from fear so continue). Pendal shoots him, then we both switch to Alai to interrupt him. He still manages to cast confusion and Pendal fails to get to the stairs but saves against confusion. Alai doesn't get another chance to cast, nor does Naaman and we are free to terminate the services of Zhalimar Cloudewulfe.

A good session (bearing in mind the low levels), but worth checking for hints in the Ten Towns tome.

Tropp (gnome fighter / thief, Gate70) and Grouch (dwarf fighter, Grond0)

Tropp sneaks around until the yuan-ti High summoner receives a backstab from Presio's dagger. Grouch has arrived to deal with the elite yuan-ti's but switches to the yuan-ti priests that have held Tropp. They don't seem very organised and allow Tropp to recover without taking much injury.

With the High Summoner dead the High Ritualist is next then any remaining enemies. The final area is a winding path. A High archer is found and killed, providing a better bow for Grouch, then the High Torturer. Grouch discovers the hard way that his ring is cursed and increases damage received so a trip to Kuldahar beckons; results Tropp & Grouch.

Pendal and Thimble decide to have a lazy day, and re-open the Ten Towns book for another 3 hours reading.

After looting a magic shield and armour Yxunomei is found. A six armed snake (reminiscent of a marilith, forgot a screenshot) dangerous in melee but killed by Grouch (arrows +2) while Tropp fends off the many other enemies and greedily glugs healing potions.

Back at Kuldahar orogs have over-run the area and Arundel the arch-druid is dying, while an imposter has taunted us before departing. Arundel only just has time to suggest we head to the Severed Hand in search of Larrel before he finally dies.

This haunted elven settlement sees various shadows and fiends killed, until Tropp is dominated by shadow elf clerics. Grouch retreats (party transitions allowed with dominated characters), keeping his distance until Tropp recovers.

Then Grouch is dominated. Tropp retreats, but is confused (presumably Grouch hit him with a sword that confuses). He recovers quickly and hides in shadows until Grouch recovers. The shadow clerics are bested at the third attempt.

Pendal F6/I6 with 48hp. 1196 (+14) kills, Davaeorn.
Thimble F6/I5 with 49hp, 54 with helm. 155 (+25) kills, Battle Horror.