Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Incantatar: I don't know whether he was last one but Vaclavc­ played vanilla and that was about year ago.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Incantatar wrote...

Does anyone know when the last vanilla game was played in this thread?

corey_russell played vanilla regularly up to about 3 months ago.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Incantatar wrote...

Does anyone know when the last vanilla game was played in this thread?

corey_russell played vanilla regularly up to about 3 months ago.

Actually, I play both Tutu and Vanilla, depending on what I am wanting. If I am a class that doesn't have an equivalent in vanilla BG 1 (such as Monk), I play Tutu. But for a class that can kit on import (such as fighter > berserker) I sometimes play vanilla. For solo play, I prefer vanilla, though I have done it with both on occassion.

There's quite a few differences between vanilla and Tutu, so sometimes I take those in account. For example, there are only one stealth boots goblin in Tutu, but two in vanilla, so if all ranger party, then the vanilla I prefer. For some imbalanced parties (e.g. not the standard tank > rogue > mage > cleric/druid) Tutu has a huge advantage for arcane player, such as invis 10' with the familiar. Also, Undead Hunter should play Tutu, many more powerful undead spawns, which means faster leveling for him.

Anyways, as to your question, I still play vanilla, as Grond0 mentioned.

For those of you who were wondering where I was, I had big computer trouble - I still have my ongoing SCS run in BG 2 which I managed to salvage, will get to that pretty soon. I also had "burned out" on BG, so had to take a break - I think I am back now.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Corey: good to know and welcome back! :happy: Our threads are a bit hollow nowadays...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 05 December 2012 - 06:17 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Flaia, wild mage

I saw yesterday that BGEE had been patched so that it is now possible to play it at 60 fps.  I wasn't working, so took the opportunity to start a game to see how it played (unmodded).  I've been using a full party and vacuuming all areas to check on any new content.

So far I've done all external areas prior to the bandit camp (other than TotSC).  Here's an outline of progress:
- recruited Imoen.  Noted Gorion had a magic belt - handy against winter wolves!  I wondered if that meant that major changes had been made in equipment.  I have noted a number of other ones so far, but nothing as significant - one positive change is that there's slightly greater availability of spells than in vanilla.
- did a few tasks in Beregost, including Karlat.
- down to Nashkel and recruited Rasaad (new monk in BGEE).
- back to High Hedge to pick up Kivan.
- got Ajantis as a tank.  Rasaad had a first attempt at stunning blow against Tarnesh.  He saved, though it didn't do him much good.
- Rasaad tried again on Zordral, but with similar results.
- tried pickpocketing Zeke to get his scroll, but failed and the party reputation took a bit of a hit as a result.  Branwen filled out the party.
- Neira became a first victim of Branwen's command.
- worked along the southern areas to the Gnoll Stronghold and sent Dynaheir on her way.  North of there it was nice to see the merchant can still be pickpocketed for his boots after he tried to fob us off with a bit of gold.
- Ajantis used the charisma tome to get up to 18 and get the antidote potions from Landrin.
- successfully revived Melicamp (had to click on him before he made his speech and gave a reward).  Thalantyr had a potion case for sale (not seen any scroll cases or gem bags yet).
- in exploring the rest of Beregost ran across Neera the wild mage. I couldn't resist showing her how wild mage spells should work by webbing her opponents.  Even managed to kill the bodyguard not held by the web before he could finish Neera off, but still sent her on her way anyway.  
- in the valley of the tombs Narcillicus died, but I only had 3 non-piercing magic weapons so his mustard jellies took a bit more work to finish off and both Ajantis and Kivan had to use potions to cure poison during the combat.  Against the amazons Flaia set out a web to start with and the party attacked when all except Lamalha were held.  Lamalha herself was commanded and badly wounded while down, but somehow still managed to complete a glyph of warding started before she went to sleep (major bug there).  However, when she was commanded for the second time the battle was won.
- found that you can no longer get the bounty from Oublek for just one of Prism's emeralds.
- found Dorn at the Friendly Arm, but he wasn't interested in joining at the time.
- Bassilus' undead army did not crumble when using my normal conversational options, although only one zombie actually turned hostile.
- the most difficult battle so far was probably with the Doomsayer.  He's a pretty formidable opponent in melee and I was trying to avoid having Flaia use magic missiles on him.  As a result he made a bit of a mess of my party of level 4 & 5 characters as most could only hit with criticals.  Eventually I resorted to having Kivan use potions of frost giant strength and heroism and he got in the final blow.
- no real problems with the sirenes on the coast.  I intended Kivan to solo the golems in the pirate cave, but nearly got caught out when finding some traps in place.
- got a nice helmet from Ogre Droth.  Shoal was a bit slow moving away after getting her freedom and also became a victim.
- Kahrk could have been another tricky fight, but Slaia got rid of his mirror images with a dispel magic and Kivan finished him off pretty quickly with impact and acid arrows (no-one else managed a hit at all).  Kahrk did get off a lightning bolt and an acid arrow, but Ajantis survived.
- Imoen found third time lucky in picking a scroll of magic protection from Bentan's pockets before running out of the area (didn't want to take the reputation hit for killing him).
- I forgot where Molkar's group of assassins was and blundered into them.  However, Flaia's web still proved just as useful as against the amazons.
- at the Firewine ruins Kivan showed his versatility.  Not only is he lethal from range, but he's also pretty good with his halberd as the ogre mage found out.  He also used stealth to approach Lendarn and effectively took him out of the combat.
- Kivan soloed the basilisks.  Lindin's party were webbed and Mutamin shot down without managing to complete a spell.  Ajantis beat up Shar-teel, but let her go afterwards.  There was a careless moment with Korax when he turned on Slaia and attacked her unexpectedly.  Branwen used remove paralysis, but Korax hit again immediately, but keeled over himself a second later.
- there was a slight problem in the Red Wizards area when I walked into a web.  However, 3 of the party made their initial saving throw, which made it pretty easy to finish off the giant spider before it could do any damage.  The Red Wizards found it less easy to escape (one of whom also had a nice remove magic scroll).
- saved Viconia and let her go.  In this encounter I initially thought the Blacktalon's arrows were doing area cold damage, but it was actually another one to the north spawning in the area I'd just walked through and just in the fog of war.
- arriving in the ankheg area I used animate dead (to protect while sleeping in the ankheg area) and was surprised to get a ghast.  Spell now gives 1 or 2 undead rather than just skeletons.
- triggered a scripted ambush where Dorn (new BGEE blackguard kit) appears.  I allowed him to join out of curiousity, but sent him straight to the Friendly Arm.  However, my reputation took a hit of 2 for his brief presence in the group.  I've had a few conversations with Rasaad, but there haven't been any encounters triggered by him yet.

Flaia has used her spells quite sparingly so far - the screenshots showing all her webs are not representative as she has cast very few other spells.  However, I've not been trying to avoid using spells entirely and accepted the risk of surges. This was the only surge I've noted so far - the description on it says Slaia should have been polymorphed, but that didn't happen (can't remember whether there was a saving throw noted after this screenshot).  Here's her current character record.
Posted Image

So far by far the best performer of the group has been Kivan, although Ajantis has also put in a solid performance as a tank.  BGEE allows strength damage to be applied to sling shots, which has helped Flaia perform much better than the other sling users and she also has quite a few important assists through her webs.
Ajantis - 188 kills.
Kivan - 384.
Imoen - 110.
Slaia - 106.
Rasaad - 58.
Branwen - 39.

Edited by Grond0, 07 December 2012 - 02:04 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Looking good Grond0. Kivan is always a solid performer in my parties as well. He usually has the most kills of the party, unless my PC is a fighter in an archer role and using a script. He doesn't melee well for me, but almost the only time I have him do that is in ambushes, which he does fine in that context.

Your baldur's gate is clearly quite different than vanilla, can you explain the key differences between BGEE and vanilla, just so I can understand it better? Thanks.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
It's not actually that different from vanilla and a lot of the differences there are are due to using BG2 behaviour (like chasing between areas).  I have though noted down a number of differences as I've been playing and will post on those once I've finished BG1.

Edited by Grond0, 07 December 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Deucetipher

Deucetipher
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
 So, I've decided to to join y'all's awesome thread in my current no reload run of BGEE.  I will be maximizing HP rolls, but spell scribing will happen as it will.  I will metagame my little heart out.  For those of you who are familiar with EE, I've tweaked a few files.  Shar-Teel will now be dual classed if picked up at four or six, and her dagger prof has been moved to longsword.  Dorotea has had the undroppable flag removed from her elven chain.  I've also removed the blur visual effect from both the cloak of displacement and the Claw of Kaz.

Meet Karmane B), Half elven blade.

Posted Image

I did all the basic Candlekeep stuff, grabbed a diamond, killed an ogre while shouting "Dance, Immy, Dance!."  Almost killed by a wolf.  I also robbed Xzar and Montaron.  Anyone else find it hilarious that wolves are more dangerous than ogres?  

Anyway, the first real test:

Posted Image

Metagamed it.  I started singing bard song and offensive spun before speaking to Tarnesh, then tried to smack him during mirror image.  He got the spell off, so I started singing again, waited till he cast horror then successfully smacked him.

Unfortunately, I failed to memorize both MM and Armor (but learned burning hands, yay! <_<), so it's off to high hedge!  I'm going to try to get to beregost without any other NPCs, but we'll see.

=======================================================

So I made it to Beregost and promptly kicked Imoen out of my party.  I then defused the situation with Marle for 900 xp and my first level.  I went to High Hedge and bought Friends, Sleep, Magic Missile, and Armor.  Went back to FAI, cast Friends, talked to Landrin and got my six antidotes and quest.

Back to Beregost and went south to kill a pair of ogrillions.  Took forever with me kiting them back and forth and shooting them with arrows.  Ding, second level gained.  Got the ring as reward and prepared to fight spiders.

Posted Image

Used one antidote.  Went with armor and sword because I didn't trust a sleep spell w/out any back up plan.  Turned in the quest and now I'm pretty close to my next level.  Up next: Silke.

Edited by Deucetipher, 08 December 2012 - 01:09 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Best of luck Deucetipher.

Flaia, wild mage

Flaia made more progress yesterday and has just arrived back at Candlekeep.
- I allowed Mulahey to summon his supporters.  Ajantis dealt with them while Kivan handled Mulahey
- Nimbul fell to Imoen's first backstab
- it was Rasaad's turn to stealth attack against Tranzig; he saved against stun, but didn't last much longer
- dealt quickly with Silke and talked to an old man before getting a lift with Teven to the bandit camp.  I was hoping to be able to kill Tazok, but he ran away too quickly.  The external bandits didn't last long and neither did those in the tent after Venkt was commanded to die.
- no problems going through the Cloakwood.  None of the druids got a spell off - Rasaad finally getting a successful stun on one of them.
- Flaia webbed the mine party; 3 of them died in that leaving Kysus alone against a missile barrage.
- in the mine Kivan soloed Hareishan and Natasha using elemental arrows to interrupt their spells.  The ogre mage got a confusion off so Ajantis came to help, but Kivan still got the fatal shot in.
- against Daveorn Flaia exposed him by dispelling his mirror images.  Imoen missed her backstab, but Rasaad succeeded with his stunning blow.  That should have ended the contest, but Daveorn's dimension door seemed to cancel the stunning effect and he got a lightning bolt off - I've seen too many weird lightning bolt bounces in corridors so Flaia took an absorption potion just in case.  Daveorn tried to teleport away again, but this time Rasaad made sure of the kill.
- eventually made it through the ambushes and got back to Beregost groaning under the weight of wyvern heads to pass on to Officer Vai.  While there Imoen used a thieving potion and got Algernon's cloak on his first try, so he didn't even turn hostile.  That won't be used actively, but it does give Ajantis 20 charisma to go with the 20 reputation for flooding the mine.  Bought various items of equipment, including robe of the neutral archmagi for Slaia.
- arrived in the city at last and bought a few more spells for Flaia - using potions of genius to be sure she learnt them.
After starting the poison quest went to get Ramazith (in case he had spells to learn while genius potions were still active - he didn't).  The wizard fell quickly, but I got a bit impatient with the ghasts and Ajantis paid the price - Branwen's remove paralysis coming too late to save him.
- saw a scripted ambush by some monks after Rasaad - they caused no problems and I let Rasaad get the killing hit on each of them.
- went through the city systematically; not talking to everyone, but checking for any potential new additions.  Took revenge for a multi-player defeat on Desreta and Vay-ya.
- the ogre magi in the house were fireballed.  One of them had invisibility 10' which was nice as that was one of Flaia's 3 missing spells at levels 1-3.
- Degrodel's minions caused the first problems for a while.  That was particularly the case when Flaia used a wand of fire on fireball setting instead of scorcher to kill Kivan.  Flaia used several scorchers properly after that to deal with a few attackers before coming to help Ajantis who had been keeping the majority of them busy.
- checking all the areas finally paid off when I found a Dark Moon contact hiding in the Blade & Stars and went to their local HQ.  Branwen paid for moving slightly before casting her fireball (she was also wearing the belt that doubles fire damage!), but the bad guy leaders died as well.  Obtained directions to a Dark Moon temple in the Cloud Peaks.
- Branwens ghast got a rare outing against the green slimes at Ye Olde Inn.
- at the thieves guild the Halruuan mage was already dead before Narlen arrived to try and protect us.  He had fireshield (blue), which was another missing spell.
- Marek died quickly, though it appears that his bow no longer gives a strength bonus to damage.
- Degrodel thought he was going to run away with the Helm of Balduran, but Kivan had other ideas.  I thought the battle after that would be quite easy, but the horrors got lucky with several hits in a row and Ajantis keeled over.  However, Branwen stepped into the breach and no-one took any more damage in finishing off the enemies - Flaia making I think her first use of her poison dagger.
- at the Iron Throne 5 fireballs (4 necklaces and a wand) thinned things out a bit and Rasaad was the only member of the party to take any damage before finishing off.  The loot included vocalise, which means Flaia has a full set of 1st and 2nd level spells (only missing wraith form for 3rd and a few for 4th).

The party performance is generally in line with previously.  The exception is Rasaad who has been notably more successful.  That partly reflects he's got the ogre gauntlets, but also that his unarmed attacks are getting better (now 2 per round); he's also better at stealth and has had a reasonable number of successes now with stunning attacks.
Ajantis - 335 kills.
Kivan - 612.
Imoen - 166.
Slaia - 163.
Rasaad - 128.
Branwen - 57.

Edited by Grond0, 08 December 2012 - 04:24 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 11: Sati (Grond0, protaganist) and Vurro (Gate70).  Initial update.

After failing to make progress with the glass cannon pairing of barbarian and monk we've gone for the more solid combination of cavalier and archer this time.  The archer is the protagonist and surprise, surprise should be staying back shooting arrows most of the time while Vurro occupies the enemy attention in melee.

So far so good in the opening session with no deaths.  Initially they headed down to Nashkel to get some ankheg armour.  Suitably equipped, Vurro took advantage of his poison immunity to deal with Landrin's spiders.  Then up to the Friendly Arm, picking up the ogre belt on the way. 

Back in Beregost again Karlat was removed in order to return Perdue's sword.  The final action of the session was to go to bring Brage back to the Nashkel temple.  That got Vurro and Sati to level 3.

Here are their current character records - both with indifferent HPs so far:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sati's additional attack and ability to kill weaker enemies quickly before Vurro gets into action has given her an early lead in the kills race.
Vurro, cavalier 3. 14 kills.
Sati, archer 3. 37 kills.

Links to the ends of our previous multiplayer attempts:
1 Nawgrim and Peer. Charname stupidly killed by trapped container in Brynnlaw
2 Nadir and Kaxir. Companion laughably chunked by Spellhold greater mummy while in inventory!
3 Berserker and Cavalier. No link, berserker caught by 15hp rage expiry after Mirianne's ogres defeated.
4 Boor and Perry. Thaxxy chunks companion then charname
5 Scion and Cyill. Charname needlessly steps into beholder/gauth range
6 Mayse and Khazad. Charname needlessly tries to melee mind flayers
7 Bubble and Fomin. Companion imprisoned by Kangaxx while sanctuaried
8 Pendal and Thimble. Melissan is defeated, but Pendal chooses to remain with his companion
9 Bronzer and Reyna. Charname failed to account for the saving throw penalty on Finger of Death
10 Taffy and Tibbs.  Charname mysteriously collapses after area transition

Edited by Grond0, 08 December 2012 - 04:58 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Flaia, wild mageFinal update

Flaia's journey ended at the palace.  
- Candlekeep wasn't as smooth as it should have been.  Flaia could easily have died when killing the dopplegangers and I didn't initially notice that the skeletons behind had respawned and were shooting her.  Then I was surprised that Prat managed to shrug off damage and get a lightning bolt off.  Kivan's aura was clouded and wasunable to take a potion in time to save himself.  Finally Branwen's pathfinding movement was poor and she walked into a web trap to be at the mercy of a sword spider.  No more problems and the reduced party made their way back to Baldur's Gate to regroup.
- back in the city went to the Flaming Fist to rescue Duke Eltan.  I was surprised that killing the guard downstairs cost reputation given that he was hostile before I attacked him.
- at the Iron Throne Cythandria lasted only seconds
- Slythe didn't seem to have any invisibility potions and failed to do any damage.  Krystin showed herself just in time to walk into a first use of arrows of dispelling and died seconds later. 
- at the palace the dopplegangers initially concentrated more on the dukes than I expected.  Liia died quite quickly and Belt took damage as well.  Flaia responded by putting improved invisibility on him - he took no more damage after that as the dopplegangers were rapidly finished off.  However, I was then caught out when Sarevok ignored my party and went straight to attack Belt.  He'd already hit him twice before landing the killing blow.
Posted Image

I don't think there was anything I could have done about that without knowing how Sarevok was going to behave.  I'll have to change tactics for my next visit to the palace though (though I've just had a quick look at the BGEE forums and can't see any mention of this, so it may be I was just unlucky)!

Ajantis - 356 kills.
Kivan - 641.
Imoen - 179.
Slaia - 172.
Rasaad - 139.
Branwen - 62.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Ouch... it was quite wicked move from Sarevok side... :(

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Hmm, you know Grond0, I can't ever recall Sarevok killing Belt in my games -- but I have seen Sarevok attack Belt, just that Sarevok retreated before he could do any appreciable damage to Belt.. Maybe Belt only had a sliver of life in your game? Guess he could have used some heals from your cleric...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Possibly, but he hits pretty hard - he had done about 60 HPs damage in less time than it would have taken me to cast a single CLW spell ... I was thinking more of ensuring I had one character next to him when he goes hostile in order to try and get him focused on them.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 11: Sati (Grond0, protaganist) and Vurro (Gate70).

After a confident opening session this one had a couple of glitches, although the good guys are still marching on.

The first port of call was to get Vurro a better sword - Greywolf was persuaded to make his available.

After saving Hulrik's cow the duo went in search of Meilum's bracers.  However, the journey there proved problematic when a basilisk ambushed them and Vurro was slightly too slow to run away.  Sati did manage to get to the edge of the area and hide - here he has just made sure the statue is indeed there.  As ambush areas are permanent (though different areas may trigger from the same trip) Sati knew he just needed to repeat the journey a few times once he had acquired the appropriate scroll.  In fact he found the same area on his first trip and duly revived Vurro.  Vurro took his anger out on Meilum - not allowing his opponent a single successful hit.

With Vurro equipped with Meilum's bracers, it seemed only fair to get Zal's for Sati.  However, this was the next glitch in the session - probably not the greatest decision to let Vax take the bracers away while loaded down with our hard-won goldPosted Image.

No real problems after that:
- Caldo & Krumm donated a belt, Vurro retrieved a drowned cat for a girl and went on to improve his charisma even more with a tome from the gnoll stronghold.  He also persuaded a merchant to hand over some fur-lined boots. 
- at the Nashkel mine the kobolds were no real obstacle and Mulahey failed to get a spell away through Sati's hail of arrows. 
- Nimbul did manage to cast a couple of magic missiles; Sati came to offer to take the next lot, but Vurro found a killing blow anyway. 
- Vurro showed one of the strengths of a cavalier by leading a charge through some sirenes (immune to their charm attack) to the pirate cave where he picked up another tome (although Sati is the protagonist Vurro is likely to take more damage by being in melee a lot so used the tome). 
- Bassilus also went down easily and the session had a successful end as Melicamp survived the shock of being transformed back from his spell as a chicken.

With his improved sword and bracers Vurro was definitely the more potent attacker of the two against more powerful opponents.  However, Sati's ability to kill weaker opponents like kobolds and xvarts with a single shot allowed her to narrowly extend her lead in the kills race.
Vurro, cavalier 5, 55 HPs. 93 kills (79 this session).
Sati, archer 5, 45 HPs. 125 kills (88 this session).

Edited by Grond0, 11 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Good luck Grond0 and Gate70. No sputtering at the finish line, you hear? An archer/Cav duo will be quite interesting in BG 2.

Deucetipher

Deucetipher
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
Ok, time for an update. --Session 2

So, I ran errands around beregost and found myself at level 4. I also had my first close call: I accidentally ran into Neera's first enounter and took a ton of damage, knocking me down to 3 hp. I was level 4. No screenies because I didn't want to spoil anyone. I decided it was time to gather my party. I have decided to run a good party this time around, built around by NG Blade. After various efforts, this is my group:

Karmane: Elven Chain, wands, Wakizashi+1, Longbow, Elves' Bane
Ajantis: Dex Gloves, Large shield+1, Bastard Sword+1, Ankheg Armor, Ring of Protection+1
Branwen: Plate, Small Shield +1, Hammer, Sling
Kivan: Studded Leather, Composite Longbow, Halberd+1
Imoen: Shortbow, Shortsword, Studded Leather

Gathering the group took some risk. I grouped up with Ajantis and thought I'd go to Ulgoth's Beard to pick up Kondar.
Posted Image
Bad Idea. I ran away.

I grabbed reinforcements in khalid and jaheira, and was able to kill an ankheg on my way to Ulgoth's Beard. Unfortunately:
Posted Image

Made my way to Nashkel with Khalid and Jaheira, though a FF that I tried to surrender to tried to murder me. Who knew?  :devil:
Posted Image

The battle against the assassin in the Nashkel inn didn't go particularly well. Once ajantis started pounding on Jaheira, I thought I was SoL. Fortunately, the assassin cast hold on Ajantis immediately afterward.
Posted Image

I ditched Khalid and Jaheira, picked up Branwen and backtracked to grab kivan. I went to the gnoll stronghold, where I am now, to pick up the dex gloves and have a pretty well-rounded party. On the way, I traveled to the mine's to get Dorn's first encounter, which yielded my Elven Chain and magical weapon.

I'm keeping it at 5 for now, so that when I dual Imoen at 6, I can pick up Safana to cover.

So, the group:
Posted Image

Also, I decided I didn't like the bard avatar, so I changed it to elven fighter.

Edited by Deucetipher, 13 December 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
Whoa, those multicoloured character circles would be really confusing for me...

Deucetipher

Deucetipher
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
It kinda threw me for a loop at first, but I like it. You can disable it, if you want. It's a bit hard to tell, but the distinguishing feature is that player controlled characters now have a double circle

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Good luck Grond0 and Gate70. No sputtering at the finish line, you hear? An archer/Cav duo will be quite interesting in BG 2.

Thanks  - we'll do our best!

Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 11: Sati (Grond0, protaganist) and Vurro (Gate70).

A nice smooth session this time, with no real alarms.

Continuing on with their pattern from last time of upgrading equipment the first destination was Ulgoth's Beard.  On the way Vurro swiftly dispatched any ankhegs that got in the way, even when they attacked 4 at a time.  Tenya stayed hostile longer than expected, but eventually gave in and was bought off by a sacred bowl.  Vurro bought the cloak of displacement and green amulet from Ulgoth's Beard.

On the way to Tranzig Silke was dispatched without getting a spell off.  Tranzig did slightly better, managing to get an acid arrow away, but was still no problem.  With the cloak and Nimbul's boots the bandits shooting were no real threat to Vurro, though he did run Taugosz around while Sati finished him off.  Inside the tent Sati sneaked past Raemon to use arrows of biting on Venkt before turning to melee Hakt.  Meanwhile Vurro tanked Raemon and Britik.

In the Cloakwood we helped Aldeth against the druids, Vurro using Mulahey's boots to help shrug off the call lightning that resulted.  In the next area Vurro again tanked the spiders while Sati sneaked into Centeol's hideout to use his bow.  Vurro took a few early hits from the sword spiders and used one healing potion before finishing things off, though that proved unnecessary in the end.  No other encounters were sought in the Cloakwood, although Vurro did swap a few blows with some ambushing wyverns before making a run for it.

At the mine Vurro drew Drasus away to his doom and then repeated the trick on Genthore.  Once Sati had sneaked into shooting position Vurro disdained making any use of the green amulet (protection is for sissies apparently) and rushed the mages.  His confidence was rewarded as he saved against one confusion spell in the short period the mages lasted.  Hareishan has been quite a problem for our characters' recent multiplayer runs, largely as a result of not having characters that can tank more than a couple of guards at once.  Vurro didn't have that problem and dealt harshly with those attacking him after Sati shot up Hareishan.

Vurro is now dual-wielding most of the time, so matches Sati's attack rate of 5/2 APR.  With the boots of speed helping him to get into action quickly he looks set to keep overhauling Sati's current lead in kills.
Vurro, cavalier 6, 65 HPs. 150 kills (57 this session).
Sati, archer 6, 54 HPs. 170 kills (45 this session).

Edited by Grond0, 16 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Lo Rohama the
Earth Genasi Conjurer Str 19, Dex 18, Con 19, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 2.

After getting excellent stats that meant that I had max stats in everything plus charisma apart from being 1 short of maximum in wisdom, I had to decide which if any of the sub-races to use. Is it better to be a tiefling with better resistances, or an earth Genasi with better strength and con, or a human with better experience?

In the end I opted for the earth Genasi as it meant that I could break into more chests thus getting the armour scroll and potion of clarity and after gaining the tome for higher constitution I would have regeneration as well. The extra strength will only be of real value with the sling of seeking, as I do not intend doing much hand to hand fighting with a mage until he has far better protections than he has at present.

Diary

I have been attacked by three assassins in Candlekeep, one of whom, Mendas brought me within an inch of death. Fortunately I had a potion of healing which saved me. I am sure that it was only the fact that I had used oil of speed in the training room that enabled me to survive. It also enabled me to “acquire” an extra potion of healing and an armour scroll, both of which will be useful in the future. The two other assassins fell easily once I had blinded them.

Near
Candlekeep Gorion and I were ambushed and he was willing to give his life up so that I might survive. I will do my utmost to make his sacrifice worthwhile. In the short term, all I can do is try and survive, but in the long term I will
attempt to make the sword coast a better place to live.

I proceeded towards the Friendly Arms Inn, finding some bags, a blur scroll, a diamond, and a couple of rings on the way. At the inn I was attacked by Tarnesh, but it was a caravan guard who I managed to charm who was hurt the most by him. Using a blindness spell first, I was able to kill Tarnesh with throwing daggers.
However the injured guard then turned on me, probably blaming me for his injuries. Feeling a bit guilty about what I had done, I ran away hoping that his ire might cool off in time. If he is still aggressive however, my response
might have to change.

I arrived at a house where a widow was being pestered by a zombie. Much to her delight, I killed it. I then agreed to help Sonner against a priestess of Umberlee, only to discover that it was Sonner who was in the wrong. To her delight, I killed the fishermen.

I then headed south to Beregost where I helped Marl come to terms with the death of his son and delivered a book to Firebead. I am now a level 3 mage so am now able to cast blur, but could now do with some other level 2 spells.

I continued south to Nashkel where I found some nifty bracers in a ploughed field. I then met Noober who just wanted someone to listen to him. It was a bit boring, but he went away happy. I also did a bit of baby-sitting for Mrs Black. Now that WAS hard work.

Headed back to Beregost and discovered a house full of spiders. They followed me to an inn where I charmed Algernon to help me. Unfortunately he died, so picking up his cloak; I charmed a Morninglord Guard who helped me to kill the largest one. Running outside, I charmed the rest and used them in a fight against Silke. I thought that I was about to win the battle as I thought she had run out of spells. Then she cast a second mirror image spell and somehow managed to win the ba…

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 22 December 2012 - 10:26 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard lu...

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
 Greetings and salutations one and all!

With the release of BGEE, I have decided to yet again venture on a journey within the Forgotten Realms.

I will be using no mods what so ever, play on AD&D rules - and my party will consist of no more than maximum 4 members. Shadowkeeper and other cheats are not to be used, and no bags of holding nor other items will be added to my characters. They must survive on their own, or die on their own - though I will do my best to keep them alive.

Chapter 1: "Of swords and sorrows."
Arys had ran most of the night. He could not believe how such a powerful man as Gorion, his foster father, could have been slain. Murdered. What would he do now? As he pondered, the young Cleric could not hear the silent steps of a young thief closing in on him.

"Arys, I.." a voice whispered from the shadows.
Startled, Arys stepped a few feet back - and before long his brow sunk and reflected his poor mood. "Imoen! What on earth are you doing here?! You must head back to Candlekeep at once! I will not have your death on my shoulders, as our foster father's does. I must venture onwards, perhaps Gorion's friends will aid me, for I do not know where as to turn."
"I did not wish to alarm you Arys, but I understand that you do not want to take this journey with me. I will make it on my own then, and I wish you the best of luck. I am sorry that I cannot do more for you, brother."

Though heavy in heart and soul, Arys began his journey - before long he encountered a group of adventurers, and hoped that perhaps they could lend him a hand or perhaps venture with him for a while. Before he could alert them of his presence, he could see the a rather tall and burly hooded man drive his dagger through one of the other adventurers. Before he could decide whom to lend his hand, another had fallen and the battle was over. 

"You there, Cleric! Get over here will ya, and check if these here Zhents are dead or not. I was sure I'd gotten that rotten Necromancer Xzar, but seeing as how his body is no longer here - I'm guessing he had a scroll of Project Image with him. Bastard." The burly man was about to clean his dagger, but sighed as he noticed no blood was on his blade. 
"Don't mind Rylak here, lad. He's doesn't like them Zhentarim fiends too much. Gutted his father they did, nasty lot. Anyhow, allow me to introduce meself! Lord Thain Ironsong, at yer service! I see you're a man of the Clergy yerself - we could use one like ye for our travels. We've been hired by Barun Ghastkill to investigate the Nashkel mines, and yer welcome to tag along if ye'd like."
"Unless you'd rather stay here with this dead halfling that is. Come on Thain, I aint got all day."

Arys gave it naught but the slightest of thought, before he ventured after the dwarf and his burly companion. These two had seen battle before, he was certain - and perhaps through them would he finally find the adventures he had dreamed of throughout his life. Could he trust these two though, and what ever could the reason be for a dwarven lord to travel alongside an ill-tempered bounty hunter? Time would tell...

Arys Rhyne - Priest of Helm:
Posted Image

Thain Ironsong - Fighter/Cleric
Posted Image

Rylak - Bounty Hunter
Posted Image

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
 Alas, though the party had traveled together for quite some time - Arys met is end at the hands of Senyiad.

Posted Image

The Cleric was quite fun to play, and the party was very strong. They had no trouble clearing the entire map (except the ToTSC areas) - and I was quite confident that they would brave the Cloakwoods easily.

Alas, this is the charm of no reload, as they tell the story of your characters with all the tasty grit that belongs to a true adventure.

I'll be sure to return soon enough!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck Easymask - another victim for call lightning?