Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Yerlat the Level 5 Fighter/Level 5 Mage Half-Elf (Solo) continues his adventure...short update

Yerlat decided he would brave the Ankhegs with his -17 missile adjustment and a protection from acid scroll and 10 heal potions. While he didn't die and he did beat all the ankhegs, he severely underestimated how many heal potions he would need. Even though the Ankhegs spit would usually only hit on a critical, so they got so many attacks, they would regulary get criticals (good thing Yerlat has a helmet..) A few times was necessary to do scorcher to speed up the kills. Melee was no better. Shortly after Yerlat got his level 5 mage, he ran out of heal potions. He's had enough of ankhegs, and will do something else.

More cash would be helpful, so he decided he would take on Kirian's party in Basilisk Country. After clearing the riff-raff in the way, Yerlat cast monster summoning 1 (two wardogs, whoopie-do), crept forward invisible so he could see Kirian's party, backed up out of sight, but still within range of his fireball wand and opened fire. Two shots got off, and he was able to kill two enemies before the two survivors moved up to attack. Yerlat backed up a bit, and his wardogs engaged the enemy. Yerlat fired one more fireball and that finished the enemies and his wardogs. Yerlat was quite full, couldn't even loot everything he wanted, but of course he got the important stuff, including the AC 7 bracers and slashing belt. Forgot to mention, he did have a potion of magic protection active, but he never got targeted.

Yerlat will sell, "bank" then return with a protection from petrification scroll to take care of Mutamin and all the baslisks still left in the area.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Geffal : lawful good human male undead hunter (out of control, berserk)

Level 5 (53hp, continued)

Rescued Samuel.Bjornin’s half ogres.
Landrin’s spiders.Mulahey (potion of hill giant strength).
Ghoul, 2 Gray Oozes.

Level 0...
Nimbul gets his mirror images in place and 4-5 sets of magic missiles prove deadlier than the sword. End.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Sorry to hear that Gateu70. A potion of magic blocking from Thalantyr (which blocks all magic - which would include horror and magic missiles) would have probably been a big help with your berserking sword. The 5 rounds of protection and your paladin HP would have likely have carried the day. Since Nimbul talks to you first you would have time to gulp it.

Edited by corey_russell, 02 April 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck Gate. I guess in single player the amulet of shielding from the Carnival would be a good investment for the berserk approach.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Hard luck Gate. I guess in single player the amulet of shielding from the Carnival would be a good investment for the berserk approach.

Keep in mind Grond0 that only works if he has the fixpack. Vanilla BG this is of no help in this situation. Though I guess you would know his installs, with all the MP stuff you guys do...

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Gate, sorry to hear about your reckless one biting the magic missile. Corey, nice work with Yerlat, keep it up.

So I took dream-state Alain out for a visit with Shoal. I saw some weird behavior that I suspect is due to a mod or mods:
  • After Alain blinded her, Shoal summoned a water demon of some kind, which was nasty. I had to run (smack into some wildlife, unfortunately, had to leave the map).
  • Alain came back and got some quality time with blind Shoal. But she had a displacement ability that is always on, making her very hard to hit with a piddly sling.
  • Just as she hit near-death, a lightning bolt fell from the sky, destroying her. Alain got no experience for the fight. (This also happened to me once earlier with a dire wolf).
Have you all ever seen anything like that?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The first 2 are mod improvements. While Shoal is easy unimproved I probably wouldn't bother trying her at low level with those changes. The lightning is a possibility during stormy weather - it does 50% of HP damage, so if something is below that it will kill. Note this can also happen to you - a good reason to sleep during storms, or at least make sure you keep HPs up.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Interesting, Grond0, thanks for the insight. I don't remember the lightning at all from my experience with vanilla years ago. Apparently I haven't discovered all the ways to kill off my characters yet! Something to look forward to, or look out for, I guess. Cheers.

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 02 April 2013 - 07:47 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...

Interesting, Grond0, thanks for the insight. I don't remember the lightning at all from my experience with vanilla years ago. Apparently I haven't discovered all the ways to kill off my characters yet! Something to look forward to, or look out for, I guess. Cheers.

Much earlier in this thread, there was an extensive discussion on this topic (because a player character died to lightning), and I believe the conclusion was that if you play vanilla BG 1 the strikes deal no damage (I personally have taken 100 strikes or so over the years, and never any damage), but if you play BG 1 with the BG 2 engine, then damage is possible, though not always.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Plut the dwarven Wizard Slayer rolled into town (natural roll of 98 on left, modified on right).
Posted Image

Too late to do the chores tonight so will start another day.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Wow, Gate, nice roll.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Yerlat the solo level 7 fighter/level 7 mage half-elf continues his adventure...

A lot of progress since the last post. Yerlat had just taken down Kirian's party. He came to the carnival to get the protection from petrification scroll and returning to basilisk country. But before doing that he decided to enter a tent that he hadn't been in yet - ah a powerful sage named Zordral was claiming a single word would kill this lady mage - Yerlat thought this guy was a bozo and told Zordral so - Zordral proved his point though and lady mage died. Well Yerlat wasn't going to let the lady die in vain. Yerlat had resist fear up, so unloaded 4 sets of level 5 magic missiles (3 orbs each) into Zordral - well that was NOT enough, and Yerlat ran for life and ran outside - Yerlat gulped a heal potion and continued running, Zordral hit Yerlat with yet another spell, probably melf's arrow, Yerlat has only a sliver of life left - heal or press the attack? Zordral's mirror images were gone by this point, so Yerlat tries scorcher from his fire wand - that did it! Whew. This convinces Yerlat that MM will not be enough for Mutamin and should try a different tack.
Posted Image

So when Yerlat returns to basilisk country, he activated his scroll protection from petrification, recruited a ghast, went invisible and headed directly to Mutamin. Yerlat told Korax to force-attack Mutamin, once Mutamin was held, that was Yerlat's cue to drop invisibility and press his attack - yes, success. Yerlat and Korax then cleared out the basilisks without much incident, and when the last basilisk fell, Yerlat told Korax to attack 3 bears - oh look at the Korax didn't make it. Just as well, Yerlat didnt fancy being held by a hungry ghoul.

Yerlat wanted some more experience, so investigated Ulcaster School. He took out this powerful skeletal warrior and summoned some help to be safe and defeated it. Ton of enemies around the entrance to the school, so needed to use another monster summoning wand charge to hold off the ghasts while the ghasts were slinged to death.

Yerlat carefully cleared out the enemies in the school, using mostly his sword, shield and full plate. He was inventive though. For one, he used a fireball trap by 4 dread wolves to weaken them significantly. Yerlat took no chances with the vampiric wolf and used a scorcher on it to kill it fast as Yerlat could. To be safe, Yerlat used a greenstone amulet charge at the beginning of the battle - good thing, as the hold icon happened fist hit, so it would have been over if Yerlat didnt do it. Yerlat used the final trap against two dread wolves to speed up their kills as well as you can see below.
Posted Image

Yerlat also took out some sirines on the coast using greenstone amulet and arrows of biting on the flesh golems when he could though at one point he had to tank two at once, that was scary but before doing all this Yerlat was -16 to blunt attacks so that apparently kept him safe.

Somewhat suprisingly, Yerlat made level 7 fighter/level 7 mage in High Hedge. He made a stop by Ulgoth's Beard to get all the level 4 spells there except remove curse. Next up, he decided he would use Improved Invisibility vs. Silke - she could do nothing, Yerlat even did detect invisibility so he would have II but she wouldn't. A few MM finished her and that was that. Finally, Yerlat is starting to feel powerful, he felt so weak and under-powered at the lower levels.

Yerlat would like to be able to use the fire resistance ring, but there's basically no slot for it, as the ring slots are +1 protection and ring of wizardy. What to do, what to do...on a whim, he goes to high hedge and tries to talk to a ranger, but the ranger ignores him...hmmm..change spells, to 3 friends, rest, cast friends x3 and talk - oh the ranger will join up. Yerlat was thinking of going to the coast, perhaps this ranger would like to see the sights.

Well, Yerlat gets to the coast and there's this nymph. She might be willing to help, but not with Yerlat's 4 CHA. So Yerlat has the ranger talk to her. She kissed him, and Kivan...died! Whoa! Yerlat gets a good hit to avenge him, but the nymph stopped her attack and agreed to resurrect the ranger - ok that's good. Ah there's an ogre mage involved with this. Yerlat decides to stop this ogre once and for all. Kivan attaks the ogre with his fists, and Yerlat goes improved inviisible. The ogre goes invisible,so Yerlat does detect invisibility then unloads all his MM into the ogre and then his sling. The ogre slew the ranger, but by then he was blinded. Yerlat's sling then finished the ogre. This netted Yerlat a helm of fire resistance among other things. Hmm, well Yerlat is trying to save his money, perhaps the ranger will be at peace out here at the coast with nature, so Yerlat removed Kivan from the group.

Yerlat finally feels strong, he will try harder to find this bandit camp.

Edited by corey_russell, 03 April 2013 - 10:44 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Grimwald the Good joined up with Imoen for her thief abilities and after clearing the road to Nashkel, followed the advice of Horace Greeley and headed west. Going into the caves they found really tough goblins abetted by shamans. After picking up the loot they returned to the carnival, wary of what else might lie in the Gnoll Fortress.

Addendum

After picking up Kivan, trying to help Melicamp, picking up Branwen, the party went into the mines.

It was remarkably like my Tutu setup with kobold guards and shamans etc. Unfortunaately no Gavin to use Holy Smite. Buffs worked however.
Picked up Xan.

Upon exiting the mines necklace of missiles decimated the amazons. (If you can decimate a part of four that is! :lol:)
The last remaining member was easy to deal with.

I'd forgotten what a pain it is not being able to see how many charges are left with wands, necklaces etc. :(

Now back at the carnival and will recharge the necklace if I have enough gold after selling the loot.

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 04 April 2013 - 03:22 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Multi-Player No-Reload
Coretrue (controlled by Corey_Russell) and Wewa (controlled by Dogdancing) entering Trilogy no-reload challenge...

Dogdancing believes she has enough BG experience to make another attempt at a MP no-reload, so Corey_Russell and Dogdancing rolled new characters and have entered the challenge.

Protagonist
Posted Image

Wifey
Posted Image

Adventure to date:
In Candlekeep, the duo only had 140 gold to start, so Coretrue had to make do without armor for a while. Despite 19 DEX and 55% lock skill, Wewa was unable to pick the lock of the saphhire chest. Fortunately, there was JUST enough gold from the quests/battles in Candlekeep for Coretrue to afford splint mail. The duo were broke but were ready to travel with Gorion.

Gorion was ambushed and killed, the duo were not allowed to return to Candlekeep so were on their own. Imoen appeared, but with a thief like Wewa, we dont need her, so took the important stuff and sent her on her way. Coretrue saw two travelers on the road, and noticed they were evil! They must be stopped, so the duo took out Montaron and Xzar easily.

The duo headed to the Lion's Way and Coretrue was exhausted at this point. The duo tried to rest 3 times but were ambushed by gibberlings every time. This was a little ridiculous, so instead the duo picked up the ring in a rock, went back to Gorion's death area, and rested there successfully. The duo then traveled to Beregost via High Hedge without further incident.

Coretrue calmed Marl, a man at Feldeposte's Inn, gave a book to Firebeard, and rested. Wewa then managed to loot a magical sword for Coretrue from the smithy - not very paladin like that's true, but Wewa is CE so very consistent action on her part. The party then encountered a dwarven assassin at a nearby inn! The battle lasted a while, Coretrue had to potion once, but Wewa showed her bow skills with two criticals, and the assassin's morale broke and he tried to run, but no avail as right then Coretrue chunked Karlat. Duo rested, sold the Smithy's stuff back to him, and pressed southward.

The duo met an ogrillion, Coretrue ran in circles while Wewa peppered it with arrows - slow going and some bad lag too, but eventually the duo succeeded in downing this enemy. The duo found a letter, returned it to Merrianne, giving a ring for Wewa now. The duo presses southward once more...

Ah another ogrillion. Coretrue leads on a merry chase, but takes a bad path in hindsight, right by Wewa. The ogrillion apparently thought a female elf is more appetizing, and took a big whack on Wewa, who lived though. A solid sling hit by Coretrue ended the threat, and resulted in the first level of the game, for Wewa.

The duo presses southward, and leaves a Flaming Fist mercenary alone. They press farther south and have a nice battle with some hobgoblins. The duo were supposed to use only ranged weapons, but somehow Dogdancing mis-clicked and got the attention of the hobgoblin archers because she ran past Coretrue's position - she retreated and Coretrue entered melee to get their attention - battle little flawed but success nevertheless. Strangely, there were no more fights on the road, and the duo made it to Nashkel.

Dogdancing was really hurting and very tired too, so Coretrue picked up his Ankheg Armor, and the duo ended the session here.

Edited by corey_russell, 04 April 2013 - 05:21 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nice to see another MP attempt - hope it goes well for you Corey.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Corey, good luck with your MP run! How well do Coretrue and Wewa get along, given that they are polar opposites on the alignment scale?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...

Corey, good luck with your MP run! How well do Coretrue and Wewa get along, given that they are polar opposites on the alignment scale?

Real well, actually. There's that old saying "opposites attract", think that applies here. Also, Coretrue is Wewa's husband, so Wewa is willing to tone down her CE if Coretrue needs her to, for the sake of love. She's mainly CE so that she can steal/kill without repercussions, e.g., Coretrue can't because he would be a fallen paladin, but alignment-wise, Wewa can do whatever she wants. Wewa has stated she will try to be careful so Coretrue doesn't become fallen - she's gonig to steal if she's pretty sure she can get away with it (she loves looting).

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Ha ha! That sounds like quite a match. I sense the potential for some fireworks.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Yerlat the level 7 Fighter/Level 7 Mage FINAL Update

Yerlat was traveling through the Cloakwood to deal with Drassus on the way met two Wyverns - he had 68 HP, 5 elixars of health and -6 AC, he thought he could take them - well he was wrong, he was poisoned once, and he got to 40% health before he could gulp his elixar of health. He potioned to heal, then thought about leaving, but then he got poisoned once more, his aura wasn't clear, and the poison burned through his HP super fast - RIP Yerlat.
Posted Image

Was thinking about giving that berserking sword a try, that Gate70 has had so much fun with. I have an idea to improve on his experience with it.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Happy berserking!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Multi-player No-Reload:
Coretrue (paladin controlled by corey_russell) and Wewa (thief controlled by Dogdancing) continue their adventure...

Coretrue and Wewa continue to make some progress, Coretrue is level 3 paladin with 32 HP, Dogdancing is level 4 thief with 27 HP. Incidents of note:
* Area directly south of Beregost cleared of hostiles without any trouble. Naturally Dogdancing is using the stealth boots found here.
* Bjorin was happy to hear of our defeat of 4 ogrillions, shield of course went to Coretrue
* An ogre with a belt fetish was defeated. The ogre couldn't do anything to Coretrue with Coretrue's effective AC of -7 for that fight. Belt went to Dogdancing, since soon with large shield and full plate, Coretrue will be very hard to hit with arrows.
* For safe experience, a lot of fighting in High Hedge done, no battle of note, other than the duo got of their goal of getting Coretrue level 3, Coretrue can now risk facing Tarnesh.
* Spiders in Beregost house defeated - duo had the foresight to each have an antidote, good thing, as they did each in fact get poisoned.
* Tarnesh was defeated - Coretrue used the potion of clarity found in Candlekeep - Wewa failed her save vs. horror and ran around, but Coretrue had heal potions at the ready (2 were used), 2 guards were also nice enough to assist, and Coretrue got the finishing blow on Tarnesh.
* Reported to Landarin, she was happy to get all her stuff
* found a wizard ring. Most proceeds of this will be used to purchase full plate for Coretrue.

Edited by corey_russell, 05 April 2013 - 07:02 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Was thinking about giving that berserking sword a try, that Gate70 has had so much fun with. I have an idea to improve on his experience with it.

Oh boy this will be fun to watch. Was thinking a wizard slayer might be a good choice.

Note of caution, not suitable for party play unless everyone else is out of sight as the sword seems to prioritise friend over foe regardless of proximity.

Likewise, try to play with Tarnesh behind the bike cow shed and Nimbul behind the store otherwise you'll end up upsetting townspeople and potentially killing anyone in sight.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Gate70 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

Oh boy this will be fun to watch. Was thinking a wizard slayer might be a good choice.

Note of caution, not suitable for party play unless everyone else is out of sight as the sword seems to prioritise friend over foe regardless of proximity.

Likewise, try to play with Tarnesh behind the bike cow shed and Nimbul behind the store otherwise you'll end up upsetting townspeople and potentially killing anyone in sight.

Yes, was definitely not considering a party but solo. Solo means less encounters which is probably safer for a sword such as this. Thanks for the tips but I think there's a simpler solution for Nimbul. If I enter Nashkel from the north, Nimbul will be at the inn and walk toward you to the bridge, but I could keep walking to the zone line, bringing Nimbul with me, the patrols don't go that far, and should be able to kill him without getting anyone else.

I doubt I will have the sword equipped for Tarnesh, just too many civilians around. I made a go at creating my character (named Corerage), he's level 3 but doesn't have the sword yet. His HP rolls have been really mediocre, so may wait to use that sword once I have a safety margin, if there is such a thing with that sword.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Plud (got the wrong name last time) has finally dragged himself out of a tavern.

The usual type of start. Candlekeep > Marl > Firebead > Brage > Joia > Mirianne > Caldo > tome of leadership > Unshey's ogre > Bjornin. Then off to Neville and Greywolf for weapon upgrades.

A few ankhegs later Plud has reached Mulahey and is using the tried and tested hokey-cokey in-out routine with a non-proficient bow. His first exit is a bit too slow and he arrives in a state of rigid thinking. Mulahey declines to follow so Plud recovers and switches back to dual-wielding. Mulahey joins in the hokey-kokey for a few brief moves before learning what it's all about.

Back to Nashkel where Plud saves against Horror but Nimbul doesn't. Bad news is Plud has run back to the mayor so Nimbul just has time to recover before un-recovering.
Posted Image 

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Ardrouine thanks Plud for saving her son.

He runs past one lot of sirines, drags Sil round a clump of trees and hides inside a cave. After helping himself to the treasure trove of Black Alaric he tries to exit the cave but a carrion crawler has got stuck in the entrance and Plud takes a couple of whacks from a golem.

Varscona clears the crawler before the golem can kill him, and he escapes outside. The golem follows and a second crawler is also waiting just outside the cave. Plud laughs as he runs around two friendly sirines and into Sil. The sirines turn nasty but Plud is already over the horizon.

The original group of 3 sirines have been waiting patiently and a dominate is cast as Plud has no choice but to run past them. His 5% magic resistance is not going to help him, nor does the horn of Kazgaroth (had nothing else to try). At least he died happy.