Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
RIP Plud. Alas, that 19 point constitution wasn't enough to stop the Sirine's magic.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
[ALAIN WAKES FROM HIS COMA. PREVIOUS POST HERE.]

Alain opened his eyes. He lay on his back, staring up at a dimly lit ceiling. He could vaguely hear chanting in the distance.

He moved his fingers and toes, then shifted his arms and shrugged his shoulders. With great effort, he heaved his legs off of the bed and struggled to sit up. He felt sore, tired and weak.

Imoen slept in a nearby chair, head resting on folded arms. Her ears twitched, hearing Alain shuffle across the room toward the door. She shifted her arms and raised her head.

“Woah,” she exclaimed, "you’re alive!"

“You’re surprised?” Alain asked.

“I wasn’t sure you’d ever move again,” Imoen said. “Don’t you remember what happened?”

“Nope,” Alain said. “I had some dreams…"

"Bandits shot you up good," Imoen said. "So much blood. I'd rather forget that whole night, but it is burrned into my mind. It’s been a month – maybe more – that you've been here, recuperating."

"Come to think of it," Alain said, "some of my dreams did involve bandit ambushes … bad ones.  Where are we, anyway?”

“The Temple of Lathander,” Imoen answered. “The clerics here took us in once they realized how charming I could be. Unfortunately, though, they’ve had me scrubbing the floors and sleeping on the floor. We’re still broke. And you know, you owe me for this.”

"Right," Alain said. "I'm grateful."

“And Fisk is gone,” Imoen said. “I looked in your pack after the bandit ambush, and he was nowhere to be seen. He hasn't come back. I don't expect we'll see him again.”

“Unfortunate,” said Alain. “I have a feeling we’ll miss him.”

“I’m just glad you’re alive,” Imoen said.

“Likewise,” Alain grinned. “I can’t imagine how much trouble you’d get into without me around to keep you on the straight and narrow.”

Imoen chuckled. “Speaking of trouble, mister, let’s get out of here and go looking for some. After all these days playing nursemaid, I’m out of practice.”

“There’s nothing I’d like more,” Alain said.

He took one step toward the door and fell on his face. “As soon as I get my strength back, that is.”

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 06 April 2013 - 02:39 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
[ALAIN AND IMOEN GO BASILISK HUNTING.]

Imoen pulled a scroll out of her pack. “I did a little bit more than scrub floors in the temple, you know.”

“What’s that?” Alain asked.

“Our ticket to glory and riches,” Imoen answered. “I was talking to the Morninglord a few weeks back. He was complaining about a basilisk infestation in the valley to the east of the temple.”

“Basilisks?” Alain said, hesitantly. “Monsters that can turn you to stone?”

“That’s what this scroll is for,” Imoen said. “With it active, the basilisk’s gaze will have no effect. I bet they have treasure hordes like dragons do. Let’s go take a peek.”

“I don’t know,” Alain said. “This sounds unsafe.”

“Since when were you such a scaredy-cat?” Imoen asked.

“Since those bandits roughed me up,” Alain said. “But invisible, looking shouldn't be too hazardous. Promise me you won’t do anything rash without asking me first, though?”

“OK, that sounds more like it,” Imoen said with a grin. “Let’s go.”

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 06 April 2013 - 02:29 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
[IMOEN DUELS A BASILISK.]

Imoen touched her face and her arms. “Do I look any different?” she asked.

“No, you look normal,” Alain said. “But I can feel the magic.”

“There’s only one way to find out if it works…” Imoen said, trailing off.

“I’ll follow close behind you, invisible, and I’ll shout if the magic starts to fade,” Alain said. “Make sure to run if I tell you to.”

Imoen ducked between the ribs of a giant skeleton embedded in the ground. A giant leathery creature lunged after her, arrows sticking from its hide.

Imoen turned and  plunged her dagger into the creature’s neck. It fell heavily into the dust, twitched once, and lay still.

“Got one!” she crowed.

Three more creatures rounded the skeleton at a run, screeching in rage.

“Uh oh,” Imoen said.

She pulled out her bow and aimed for the largest of the beasts. Her first arrow plunked into the creature’s armor and fell to the ground. The second missed. The third hit the creature between the eyes, which just appeared to make it mad.

“Imoen,” Alain shouted. “The magic is fading! Time to get out of here!”

“Just one more shot,” she said with gritted teeth, drawing another arrow to her cheek. The arrow bounced off of the creature’s thick hide without effect.

As she moved to draw another arrow from her quiver, a fourth basilisk ran out of the giant skull behind her and clamped its jaws down around her thigh. She cried out in pain, nearly falling.

Alain ran into the fray, invisible, and threw her arm over his shoulder. Together, they started running.

“I only got one before the magic expired,” Imoen panted. “And I didn’t get any treasure. Bugger all.”

“At least we’re still alive,” Alain said between breaths.

After a few minutes of running, Alain turned to look for pursuit, finding none. “Let me turn you invisible. I don’t want those things sneaking up on us while I bandage your leg.”

“I suppose this means another night in the stables,” Imoen sighed.

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 06 April 2013 - 02:32 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corerage solo dwarven berserker entering trilogy challenge...

I've seen all the fun Gate70 has with his cursed sword, and thought I would give it a shot. It seems for his runs that have gotten the farthest, they end to Cloakwood ambushes (poison). Therefore, I thought I would make my character a dwarven berserker - the race will help resist poison, more HP too, and the berserk ability will help with the casters, as with my auto-pause with enemy sighted I get to do one action before the sword takes over.

Posted Image

Before I started using the cursed sword (Brage's), I wanted some HP and the best armor I can get. So the following tasks were done to get me to level 5 using a un-enchanted two-handed sword:
* take down ogre with the belt fetish, will help with archer ambushes
* defeated Tarnesh due to rage, guards helped
* defeated assassins Karlat and Neira with rage
* sold wizard ring to get full plate, putting AC at -4
* got the dexterity gauntlets at the gnoll fortress
* found a dog for a "boy"
all of this plus 2 ambushes with 3 ghasts each put him to level 5 with 54 HP. He felt safe enough to use the sword now, so went and got it from Brage after returning Brage to the Temple.

Time to use this cursed sword to deal with Nashkel Mines problem. He took his first beating at the 3rd level, the traps and the fighting he was forced to do and a critical from a kobold (Corerage is -10 to arrows) put Corerage at 11 HP. Just like Gate70, Corerage is usually chunking the kobolds.
Posted Image

He carefully beat up some more kobolds, spiders and another large group of kobolds and kobold commandos - the kobolds' however couldn't get past Corerage's defenses and failed to land a single hit on him. Corerage only had two heal potions by this point, so he went back to the Nashkel Temple, bought 3 more  an returned.

On the 4th level, the kobold commandos across the bridge were no problem. Corerage went inside the cave and beat up 4 kobolds. He activated his rage, moved in and attacked Mulahey while Mulahey was blue circle. This was apparently a mistake, as when the summons appeared, Mulahey was NOT in melee range, and Corerage was completely surrounded by summons and couldn't get close toe Mulahey, and Corerage did NOT switch targets! Uh oh...fortunately his rage saved him from the many spells Mulahey cast at Corerage...Mulahey then made the mistake of coming in melee range and was killed.
Posted Image
Corerage then had no problem chunking the remaining enemies. Corerage backed his way out of the mine.

Corerage's next stop was High Hedge to sell his loot, get some heal potions and his anti-Nimbul defense - a magic blocking potion. Corerage then went to Nashkel after resting in Beregost, moved up so Nimbul saw Corerage and Nimbul moved toward Corerage. Corerage backed up to the zone out line, activated magic blocking potion and watched the action - well, it was a bit anti-climatic - Nimbul did mirror image, but Corerage was not fooled and hit the right image, killing Nimbul in one round. A kind of waste of his potion, and it was never used, thought it would have been important had Corerage not found the right image.
Posted Image

Corerage will consider his next options...

Edited by corey_russell, 06 April 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
@Gate70. Hard luck with Plud; sounds like that would have been one occasion where using the cursed sword could have been a good idea!

@corey_russell. Hope to see your berserk berserker go far.

@blind_visionary. Nice to Alain up and about again. I assume from your story you were using a mage scroll of protection from petrification. I tend to use the green scroll at the Carnival even with arcane types so that there's no danger of forgetting to renew the spell.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Grim, dwarf wizard slayer

I don't think I've given up on Tiamat, though I don't feel good about using the console on him (which is partly why he's still standing at the entrance to the Underdark).  In the meantime a flirt with a wizard slayer should offer a nice change of pace.
Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Candlekeep, Xzar & Montaron, Shoal (switching from dual-wielded long swords to non-proficient throwing axes), Marl, Firebead, belt ogre (though can't use it), Joia, ogrillons & Mirianne, Karlat (first time Grim took significant damage and switched from melee to running Karlat round and shooting him), Perdue, Noober, Oopah, bought protection from petrification and acid, Hulrik's cow, bought stone to flesh scroll + full plate + composite long bow +1 (the faster weapon speed to throwing axes make this useful in some situations), basilisks, Temah, Mutamin (using Korax).

He's now at level 6 without any trouble. Only problem is that his HPs are horrible at 50 (averaging 2 per roll on a d10), but that probably won't be what eventually kills him anyway.

Edited by Grond0, 06 April 2013 - 06:10 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corerage the level 7 berserker - major hurdle passed

Corerage is still using that cursed sword of Brage's -- and is still alive too. A lot of progress this session:

Tranzig was defeated by a magic blocking potion from Thalantyr.

Corerage went straight to Larswood, and talked to the bandit there to join the camp. He had to battle Tazok, but beat Tazok easily - Corerage managed to enrage before the fight, so that probably helped.

Next up, Tazok's Tent - Corerage's only buff is potion of magic blocking and charges Venkt - Corerage manages to slay Venkt with some of Venkt's mirror images up (Corerage has done a lot this run). Then Corerange engaged the others - he won, took 50% damage overall. With the boots of grounding the trapped chest was no problem.

Corerage decided to keep the pressure on the bandits, and entered the Cloakwood. For the spider area (Cloakwood area #2), Corerage used protection from poison scroll, potion of mind focusing, and freedom of action to get past this area successfully. Corerage was going the most direct route to the Cloakwood Mines - he got the dreaded two wyvern ambush, but won cleanly with enrage!. This was encouraging, he just might make it with this crazy sword...

Corerage decided he would use primarily protection from magic scroll, but with a lot of other potion buffs too: cold resistance, fire resistance, regeneration, stone giant strength, potion of mind focusing (for AC), potion of absorption - he didn't have haste potions available to use - Attack Drassus! Drassus and cronies were utterly destroyed, Corerage took almost no damage.

Next, Corerage decided to descend into the mine, not looting and trying to race to Davaeorn in time. On the first level, Corerage fought the guard on the way to the plug, and Corerage attacked a miner, but was able to pull him away before Corerage slew the miner. Corerage talked to the slave by the plug ran past the hostile miner and even managed to run to the exit without attacking him - I noticed that sometimes I can avoid an attack this way - I even avoided a gibberling ambush by running to the zone out before the sword could make Corerage berserk, earlier in the run.

2nd level, Corerage beats a few guards, then battles Heirashan and her buddies - wow, was extremely impressed, with Brage's sword, Corerage looked like a steamroller, often killing enemies with a single blow, and he got hurt only a little. Forgot mention, Corerage's THAC0 (with his buffs) against Drassus was 3! That's really good for BG 1 character...

Without looting, Corerage raced to level 3 - fairly quickly mowing down enemies here too, but just so many. He breezes through the hobgoblins and makes it to the 4th level, killing Davaoern's guard. And just as Corerage was going to battle the 1st battle horror, his protection from magic scroll expired! Uh, Oh - but worse, Corerage triggered the battle horror before Corerage could go berserk - the battle raged, and Corerage got a critical miss (great) - Corerage was near DEATH but his sword came through for him.

Corerage healed up after the fight, he has very few left (he started with 15 before he dealt with the mine). THIS time he did his enrage, and the 2nd battle horror went much smoother. While the enrage was still active, Corerage activated his greenstone amulet as well, and charged Davaeorn - crazy battle Corerage taking a lot of damage, but eventually Davaoern out of tricks and entered melee, and of course Corerage carried the day, badly wounded though.

Corerage looted up, healed what he could, and was left with a single elixir of health and NO blue potions - but he still needs to get out of the Cloakwood alive! Corerage goes back up to the ground level, loots a few valuable items of Drassus' cronies, picks up the potion of magic shielding nearby, and leaves for FAI - only a spider ambush and Corerage made it!

Corerage can now enter Baldur's Gate - what a ride this run is.

Edited by corey_russell, 06 April 2013 - 06:24 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Looking like good fun Corey, I like your thought of purchasing full plate early on - something I considered in the last couple of runs but never bothered with.

I'm sure there are sufficient potions to get you through most combats, I'm always too keen not to use them. Are you planning on dropping the sword at some point, if you do I think you'll be surprised just how much longer combats will last.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Greywolf (+2 sword), Sendai (+1 sword), Delgod (realised at that point he'd never bought a helmet!), Albert, Zal & Vax, Caldo & Krumm, Brage (reputation now at 20, though there's not much left worth buying), Ardrouine, Zargal & co, Melicamp (failed), ankhegs & Farmer Brun (used green scroll here), bought Horn & Claw of Kazgoroth, Tenya, Nashkel mines (Mulahey failed to complete a spell), Joseph's wife, mayor (initially forgot letters and had to go back), Nimbul (ran him round using a bow so he never got a chance to talk), Tranzig.

At the bandit camp had to use several healing potions to see off Taugosz. Dodged in and out of the main tent a couple of times to avoid Venkt's spells, although Grim's wizard slayer abilites then showed themselves for the first time.

In the Cloakwood there were no SCS spiders, so didn't bother with Spiders' Bane and just made sure there was nothing left alive nearby when walking through web traps. Drasus, then Genthore, were pulled back and meleed. Grim just ran past Kysus and Rezdan while they were casting protective spells. Kysus followed him inside the mine and managed to continue the confusion spell he started outside the mine - not that it helped him much as he was cut down by a confused Grim. With him dead Grim went back to Rezdan - he managed to horrify Grim, but on his own didn't have the firepower to finish him off.

Bypassed Hareishan and went down to Daveorn. Killed over 50 guards there until finally having rested with Bhaal abilities intact. Pulled back the first battle horror and killed it for the cost of 3 healing potions, before another 40 or so guards saw him ready for the second horror - this one, however, was rather lucky and Grim used his 9 remaining healing potions up before giving up on it and stranding it on the level above. However, trying to rest again he beat up another dozen or so guards before a couple more criticals on him ended his challenge.

Edited by Grond0, 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0 - sorry to hear the end of your Wizard Slayer
@Gate70 - not planning on dropping the sword yet - Sarevok or bust!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I can see you handling Bor and his stunning darts but what about the duchal palace.

(& I sense a convert to the berserking sword)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 17 - (update 1)
Choler, elf wild mage (Grond0), & Maris, elf wild mage (Gate70)

As we both feel that wild mages are not quite as dangerous to play as they're painted, we thought we would try and demonstrate that in the even more challenging environment of MP.  Now it's not just good practice to cast spells away from enemies or innocents, but your own partner as well!

So far so good as the girls have safely negotiated Candlekeep, Beregost, FAI and are on the way to Nashkel.  Encounters included blinding Shoal, Silke & Tarnesh and sleeping Mirianne's ogrillons & the belt ogre.

There was a bit of an oddity when Choler's quasit got lost in the rush to run away from Candlekeep.  As it's not dead another one can't be summoned, so reducing options a bit.  However, it would be likely to stay in the backpack most of the time anyway so it's not a great problem.

Both mages are now at L3 and were successful at learning invisibility at the first attempt - so the danger of ambushes can now be avoided with a bit of care.  HP rolls have been good for both characters so things looking good at this stage.

Thus far little activity on the surge front - this was the only one and was quite a pleasant surprise.

Choler, wild mage L3, 29 HPs (12 from familiar), 21 kills, 1 surge
Maris, wild mage L3, 17 HPs, 13 kills, 0 surge
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 06 April 2013 - 01:30 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Gate70 wrote...

I can see you handling Bor and his stunning darts but what about the duchal palace.

(& I sense a convert to the berserking sword)

After thinking about it, it is necessary to unequip the cursed sword for Chapter 7, too many innocents, plus can end my game if Corerage takes a swipe at Belt for example. He'll re-equip it for the Final Battle. Intend to go invisible through maze past Undercity party.

Actually though, I needed to remove it for chapter 6 too, as going invisible past most of the enemies there (at level cap)

I don't know if I would say I'm a convert to the berserking sword, but clearly it's quite powerful, and can actually work if used properly.

@Grond0, Gate70: Good luck in your MP run.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corerage the level 8 berserker - events once reaching Baldur's Gate

Corerage didn't do a lot here, in fact the only upgrades were the INT and DEX tomes, Helm of Balduran and the +2 ring. Now that he no longer needs the gauntlets of dexterity, he went to firewine ruins (surface), and engaged and chunked Melium for his bracers. Only prep was fire giant strength and enrage of course.

Corerage realized at least a few points in his adventure he will need a two-hand weapon that well, isn't cursed, so obtained the magic 2-hand sword from Argain, just needing berserk.

If he intends to tank in the final fight (which he does), then Corerage realized he will also need the golden girdle (slashing belt). Simply potion of magic protection and berserk was plenty to devastate Kirian's party. Kirian was targeted first.

One last upgrade on the sword coast, the CON tome. Corerage used potion of clarity (from Candlekeep) to beat the sirines here, then potion of absorption and hill giant strength to chunk the flesh golems. He got his last level here too, putting his HP at 88.

Time to deal with the Iron Throne. Corerage planned to use these items to defeat the Iron Throne:
* berserking sword
* protection from magic scroll
* regeneration potion
* mind focusing potion
* STR 23 potion
* heroism potion
* haste potion

Pretty nice Thac0 once buffed, -5!
Posted Image

The plan was a complete success - Iron Throne was defeated, taking only minimal damage himself. For Chapters 6 and 7 it will be necessary to un-equip the berserking sword, though Corerage intends to use it in the final battle.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Quick Corerage Update:
Corerage has obtained his tomes in Candlekeep and escaped, and also defeated Cythandria, Slythe and saved Belt all the with same buffs! Corerage buffed at Cythandria and used them for all 3 fights. Sarevok is next, wish Corerage luck!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Corerage FINAL BG 1 Update:

Corerage uses the pro-magic scroll and invis potion to get past thieve's maze and the Undercity. He buffs to the max with potion buffs, his scroll of magic protection still active. It should be noted he used a regen potion and his fire resistance was > 100%, meaning Angelo's arrows will heal him. Also, he used boots of avoidance, since he had haste via potion, again to negate Aneglo.

The plan: After buffing, Corerage moved to the left and fired arrows of dispelling at Sarevok - he missed and all 3 of Sarevok's allies are assisting him. Corerage kept shooting, backing up, shooting until finally when Sarevok was in melee range the arrow connected and dispelled Sarevok's buffs. I equipped the cursed berserking Sword and let it get to work - Corerage took a lot of damage but his sword won the fight!

Posted Image

Corerage will move onto BG 2 and will attempt solo there as well.

Edited by corey_russell, 06 April 2013 - 03:57 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I think you may find Sarevok is too deadly in 2 handed melee, but good luck and I assume you'd equip it once you've drawn Sarevok out on his own.

Also, I would avoid Rahvin and his gang. They can do a lot of damage too.

Edit, congratulations. You've obviously got the knack with this approach!

Edited by Gate70, 06 April 2013 - 04:00 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Gate70 wrote...

I think you may find Sarevok is too deadly in 2 handed melee, but good luck and I assume you'd equip it once you've drawn Sarevok out on his own.

Also, I would avoid Rahvin and his gang. They can do a lot of damage too.

Edit, congratulations. You've obviously got the knack with this approach!

Thanks! But I couldn't have done successfully though without your trial runs - your runs showed poison was a big problem, so chose dwarf, resistant to poison, and of course even if berserked, still need to survive vs. casters so chose berserker. I realized that negating magic damage would help, so used magic blocking potion heavily this run - 5 rounds of free attacks, should have edge vs. the mages (which I did with that).

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Corey, nice run! Congratulations on a fine performance! I'll have to admit, I wasn't expecting to see anyone win with the berserking sword. It's like giving up your queen in chess... (your character's brain) and then barrelling through the opposition with some reckless strikes by your rooks.

Are you going to import the cursed sword into BG2 and continue the gambit?

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 06 April 2013 - 06:33 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Grond0 wrote...
@blind_visionary. Nice to Alain up and about again.

Alas, after an ill-advised attempt to kill some Ankhegs (who managed double criticals while his aura was clearing), Alain has returned to coma state. I'm going to try again. Hopefully without getting impatient this time.

Ironically, Imoen herself has survived all encounters. SCS has a thing for spellcasters, apparently.

Grond0 wrote...
I assume from your story you were using a mage scroll of protection from petrification. I tend to use the green scroll at the Carnival even with arcane types so that there's no danger of forgetting to renew the spell.

I was using the green scroll. I think I've nerfed the scroll with a mod. I don't know which one. The scroll now is called something like "Protection from Alteration" and it doesn't last all that long. I still think I can use it, but not with the "Let's just hope Imoen can shoot all these beasties dead and not get stoned" strategy. Way too slow.

Anyway, we don't call this the "No Reload Easy," right?

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 06 April 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Grond0 wrote...
As we both feel that wild mages are not quite as dangerous to play as they're painted, we thought we would try and demonstrate that in the even more challenging environment of MP.

Brilliant. I'm not sure you could make the odds against success any worse than by running a pair of wild mages. I can just imagine the level of "chaos that shall be sown in their passage." I love it! Good luck!

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 06 April 2013 - 06:40 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...

Corey, nice run! Congratulations on a fine performance! I'll have to admit, I wasn't expecting to see anyone win with the berserking sword. It's like giving up your queen in chess... (your character's brain) and then barrelling through the opposition with some reckless strikes by your rooks.

Are you going to import the cursed sword into BG2 and continue the gambit?

That's what my wife asked! I told her no, basically because there were more dangerous threats in BG 2 - also Lilacor is the same enchantment 2h-hand  as the cursed sword but provides charm protection and confusion protection too.

The cursed sword is strong for the BG 1 environment, where there were very few +3 weapons, not BG 2 where there are many good +3 weapons.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Good stuff Corey - hope you can rage on through BG2 as well.