16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Multi-Player No-Reload Update
Coretrue, Level 5 Paladin, 52 HP, controlled by Corey_Russell
Wewa, level 6 thief, 33 HP, controlled by Dogdancing

The duo continues to make progress. They successfully solved the Nashkel Mine problem, primarily with the help of the greenstone amulet. Nimbul put a beating on Coretrue, but Wewa assisted with her MM wand, Coretrue healed up and pressed the attack, and together the duo finished NImbul. Boots of avoidance to Coretrue, cloak of displacement to Wewa.

Next up was Tranzig. Coretrue underestimated Tranzig and nearly paid with his life.
Posted Image
Wewa, however, got Tranzig's attention, and after Coretrue healed up out of sight, he came back to assist Wewa, and about then Tranzig's morale broke and Coretrue slinged Tranzig dead.

The duo could finally afford the shadow armor for Wewa, so they went ahead and did that. Zombie infestation on a farm was dealt with as well. A number of ambushes dealt with, including a large one with many archers - the duo won, though they took a lot of damage. When we turned in for our reward from the farmer with the zombie problem, it was getting late so the duo ended the session here.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Ok. I decided I didn't like either of the characters I rolled up before. I've built a new one and this one intrigues me. She's a Barbarian named Azriel again, but everything else is different.
Posted Image

Azriel will wield quarterstaves as in the portrait (although on second glance, that thing is curved enough that it could actually be a bow). She'll also have a personal item (hide armor). I'll do a full intro post once I work out the details. 

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 12 April 2013 - 08:30 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Been on holiday, so no updates on Grimwald the Good for over a week.

he died in the mage tower in BG. he killd all but one of the ghasts, but the other tanks died. Instead of getting them raised and returning, he foolishly tried to finish it off himself. It finished him off!

:(

However, the SoA installation is now working, so I'll finish off my Titch game. :)

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 12 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck Wise - those ghasts can be nasty if you let them get into touching range.

Nice to see you've got a character you're happy with Alesia. For what it's worth I think barbarian is a good choice - I suspect a fighter/mage would have been a bit easy for you.

The Potty 1

The Potty 1
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Ok. I decided I didn't like either of the characters I rolled up before. I've built a new one and this one intrigues me. She's a Barbarian named Azriel again, but everything else is different.

Azriel will wield quarterstaves as in the portrait (although on second glance, that thing is curved enough that it could actually be a bow). She'll also have a personal item (hide armor). I'll do a full intro post once I work out the details. 

Best,

A.

Nice, I'm glad RL didn't get it's hooks into you completely :happy:

One word - Halberd. Yes I realise you can beat the game with any character using only unenchanted darts and one potion of infravision, but it will be a bit easier with a bloody great blade on a stick. OK and a staff for things that need blunt damage. And a bow (or crossbow). Barbies only get ** in weapons anyway, so you can spread your focus. Dragon's breath +4, drow bolts of stunning, paralytic bolts, Kuo-Toa bolts, the underdark will see you right.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grimwald the Wise wrote...
However, the SoA installation is now working, so I'll finish off my Titch game. :)

Glad to hear it. Best of luck with Titch!

Grond0 wrote...
Nice to see you've got a character you're happy with Alesia.  

Thanks. Although, to be honest, I'm rethinking Half-Orc Azriel now.

Here's the basic problem. Character concept wise, I wanted Azriel to wield an array of two-handed weapons, complemented by bows. That seemed feasbile in rough outline despite her half-orc saves due to Barbarian Rage, but having experimented with Rage now -noting the duration and the fact that it has a non zero casting time and is therefore interuptable- I'm no longer inclined to view it as a dependable front line disabler defense: there is too little margin for error in its use. 

Unfortunately, the key immunity granting item combos (such as Dragonslayer + Harmony) don't really fit the image of her I have in mind. I basically end up with a style versus survivability tradeoff, and since I've already sacrificed a significant amount of  survivability in the interest of style by going half-orc rather than halfling or dwarf, I'm feeling boxed into taking the safe route with her weaponry. I'm not super-pleased with that.
The upshoot of all this is that half-orc Azriel may not end up being the one after all. :(

I suspect a fighter/mage would have been a bit easy for you.

Yeah. Having arcane defenses and the full range of item based immunities available does leave you spoilt for options defensively. It would have been potentially fun, but certainly not high on the difficulty scale. 

The Potty 1 wrote...
One word - Halberd. Yes I realise you can beat the game with any character using only unenchanted darts and one potion of infravision, but it will be a bit easier with a bloody great blade on a stick. OK and a staff for things that need blunt damage. And a bow (or crossbow). Barbies only get ** in weapons anyway, so you can spread your focus. Dragon's breath +4, drow bolts of stunning, paralytic bolts, Kuo-Toa bolts, the underdark will see you right.

Don't tempt me. :P 

Halbreds and crossbows are appealling stylistically for Azriel, but I suspect that that would lead, in a round-about way, to a dead half-orc.

Best,

A.

Btw. Apologies for the character creation angst everyone. I'll won't again untill I'm settled and ready to submit a proper entry.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 13 April 2013 - 02:22 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Setben the halfling fighter/thief - Micro-update

All areas pre-chapter 5 cleared except TotSC areas. The Cloakwood Mine has been shut down. Shar-Teel dealt with the mages well here. We gave Drassus a fair battle, but silence and emotion tipped the scales into our favor. Davaoern was soloed by Shar-Teel, with a few buffs, most important probably being potion of magic shielding (automatic saves)

While Xzar died in one ambush, the Cloakwood caused no other problems for this team. Multis are level 6, single class party members are level 7.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gruff - dwarf wizard slayer {berserker} v5 - update 1

With 2 more wild mages rapidly catching up on Tiamat (still waiting at the entrance to the Underdark) I started my game today with the intention of continuing her.  However, that still didn't feel right so I decided to have another go to see if I could get Gruff past the Cloakwood mine and try out my strategies for the later combats. 

In essence his progress so far has been similar to that of v3 (v4 was tried a few minutes earlier and forgot to use the green scroll in the basilisk areaPosted Image).  Some minor differences included not attempting to help Hulrik and Rufie being a berserk victim.  This version of Gruff also started off with very poor HP die rolls, though an 8, a 10 and another 8 at the last 3 levels up have brought him back to 1 HP above average.

He didn't bother with acid protection against the ankhegs this time, but none of the ones in the nest did too much damage anyway.

He's just reached level 7 and immediately used a precious scroll of magic protection to get past the sirenes and get the constitution tome.  Ardrouine also got his reputation up to 20 in that area and he purchased the Horn and Claw of Kazgoroth.

There haven't been any particularly dangerous moments to date. He's been lucky not to have been in a ghoul or ghast ambush since equipping the cursed sword, so hasn't had to brave paralysing touches.

He's now ready to take on the main quest line.

Gruff, wizard slayer 7, 79 HPs, 118 kills

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
OK. I'm ready to enter my new character now. 

I had written this long post about how I had finally, after all these years, decided to try a conventional dual wielding warrior. I had my proper rager all ready to go, but at the last minute, I decided I couldn't resist the temptation to subvert the logic of Barbarian play. And so here she is: Meet Barbie, Halfling Barbarian.
Posted Image

Barbie will start will proficiencies in Slings, Darts, and Short Swords. Her secondary color is emerald green to match her eyes.
Posted Image

I haven't decided what Barbie's personal item is going to be yet, but I'm thinking a nice flowing robe like Aerie's would suit her. If anyone has a BAM for a sun-dress with a floral print, I'd appreciate it.

Anyhoo. Barbie will leave Candlekeep and hit the long road to The Throne soon (She just has to do her nails first...)

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 13 April 2013 - 04:51 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Coretrue (controlled by Corey_Russell) and Wewa (controlled by Dogdancing) micro-update

The duo has finally crashed the Bandit Camp. We took on all comers, Khosann was defeated with potion of absorption on Coretrue. The Tazok Tent battle was a mess. The plan was for Wewa to stealth behind Venkt, backstab, Coretrue show himself and then she was to use firebreath to potion to finish Venkt. However, the plan went all to heck when Wewa's stealth failed and she was seen before getting into position.

She did do the firebreath potion on Venkt, but Venkt survived. Wewa got poisoned by the hobgoblin archer, so she used an antidote while Coretrue attempted to move in to LoH and heal Wewa. Well, right about now, Venkt cast a successful horror and the duo both failed their save! Uh oh, so the duo are running in fear, getting hit with potshots. Coretrue shook off his fear first and used a magic blocking potion. Wewa was getting low health and poisoned. Coretrue told Wewa to antidote and run for the exit. She tried this, but Venkt did LMD and finished Wewa off.

It's up to Coretrue now, he charges the mage, Venkt. Taking a while to go through his images, uh oh, Coretrue got poisoned and can't use antidotes because of his magic blocking potion! Coretrue's health dropping fast, so Coretrue leaves the tent, can finally antidote and lives. Coretrue heals up to full, then charges the tent once more with Protection from Evil on him, and finally kills the pesky mage. The pesky archer is next to die, and then Coretrue finishes the melees, though it did take a while.

Coretrue then puts all the loot into a barrel but manages to loot all of Wewa's equipment and ammo. He then goes to the FAI to resurrect Wewa, heal her and we return. On the return, everything in the camp was easily defeated and looted, and thus, We are now into Chapter 4.

We did one last thing of note before end of the session. We recharged our greenstone amuelt and necklace of missiles - next session we will be able to brave the sirines. We also defeated Vax and Zal for their bracers for Wewa, and ended the session here.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Alesia: Looks like your cutie barbarian is fashion-lassie, eh? ;)   I hope that the rough sword' hilt will not hurt her manicure and I think she needs a suitcase (or wolf bag) full of clothes in the wilderness...
Safe travels and best wishes to her! :happy:

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 13 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gruff - dwarf wizard slayer {berserker} v5 - final update

Once again Gruff failed to get past Daveorn - in fact this version failed to get past the Cloakwood.  In the web trap area the previous versions had used a protection from poison scroll, but then not needed it.  Typically, this time I decided to keep the scroll in case of a wyvern ambush and its lack proved costly.

Approaching the ettercaps the plan was to retreat as soon as he saw one in order to fight it alone.  Unfortunately this time he lost his head the instant the first enemy was sighted and rushed into the trap (and all 5 ettercaps).  He killed the first 2 quickly, but was then held in the web and almost immediately poisoned - he didn't recover.

@ Alesia.  Best of luck to Barbie.  Will this be the beginning of a new 'B' range of characters?

Edited by Grond0, 13 April 2013 - 05:44 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Barbie, Halfling Barbarian: Early Adventures

After full buffing her cuticles and packing tweezers, Barbie embarked on her grand adventure.

Her first moment of triumph came in Candlekeep when she unexpectedly forced open a lock with her strength of 9. 

Barbie would totally not hire that locksmith...
Posted Image

Then it was out into the wilds where dangers abound and beauty salons are way-hard to find.

Due to her movement rate bonus, I let Barbie blithley saunter over to the belt fetish ogre, pulling every foe in the area. Her sling and movement won the day. And by the time night fell, her emerald greens had spied a pair of rings.
Posted Image

After a trip to High Hedge to pick up some strength potions and the Wand of Sleep, Barbie got her first level up by proving that you can in fact dual-wield effectively with a Strength of 9, one pip in Short Swords, and zero pips in Two Weapon Style: you just have to make sure your enemies are unconscious before you start swinging.
Posted Image

"Wow! Check out the THAC0 on that girl!"
Posted Image

Barbie did a little more Wand of Sleep dual-wielding enroute to Nashkel.

"Take that snoozy Gibberlings!"
Posted Image

Then it was time for Greywolf. Barbie had a bit of a scare when she carelessly skipped the standard nap at the Carnival figuring she could handle a Kobold or two over by Prism.

"Huh? That's not a Kobold. Run away!"
Posted Image

And run away she did -having activated the Shield Amulet first of course.

Following a proper Carnival nap, Barbie headed back to Prism and took down Greywolf. He got the Sling, naturally: Barbie won't be able to dual-wield against foes like Greywolf untill she makes it to Ulgoth's Beard.
Posted Image

Then it was off to the Basilisks area where Barbie did some more dual wielding.

"Um, Korax can you, like, hold that Basilisk for me so I can stab it with my Short Swords?"

"And that magey-guy too?"
Posted Image

"Hugs!" 
Posted Image

So yeah: Barbie is on her way now. She's at level 6 and she's got her offhand THAC0 down to 22.
Posted Image

Even better, she has AC bracers which means she can take off that just-a-touch-too-heavy Studded Leather.

Character info sheet before heading to Ulgoth's Beard in search of Darts of Stunning. 
Posted Image

I'll post again after Mulahey.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 13 April 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
@Alesia: Looks like your cutie barbarian is fashion-lassie, eh? ;)...I think she needs a suitcase (or wolf bag) full of clothes in the wilderness...

Indeed. I'm still holding out for that floral print sun-dress BAM...

It would be even better if I could get a whole bunch of them so I could give her a different dress with each post. :P

Safe travels and best wishes to her! :happy:

Thanks. :)

Grond0 wrote...
@ Alesia.  Best of luck to Barbie.

Thanks.

Will this be the beginning of a new 'B' range of characters?

Noppers. There have been two prior exceptions to the A name rule: Wren, a Fighter (with a custom familiar named Alice), and Drella, a Priest of Talos->Mage. Barbie is the third exception.

I just couldn't resist naming her Barbie for obvious reasons...

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 14 April 2013 - 01:05 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Setben the halfling fighter/thief update:

Setben and gang (Shar-Teel, Viconia, Montaron, Xzar) have won all battles/quests in the City of Baldur's Gate. They are now at the entrance to the HQ of the Iron Throne, perhaps Setben will get some answers here. Everyone has been pulling their weight, and Xzar is managing to not die as often. Most of the party is level 7.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Barbie, welcome to the challenge. If you see Alain laid up in the infirmary at the temple of lathander in Beregost, don't be surprised.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Speaking of the infirmary, I'm taking a short break due to a broken toe. I'm likely to lead my team to their demise while under the influence of pain meds... Hoping to recover soon.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Barbie, Halfling Barbarian: Early Adventures Continued

Seeking to raise more coin before heading to Ulgoth's Beard, Barbie paid a visit to the Gnoll Stronghold.

En route, Caldo and Krumm became yet more victims of Barbie's deadly dual Short Swords.
Posted Image

At the Stronghold, a nap-time ambush led to the most extraordinary encounter of Barbie's run. Can you spot the oddity here?

Pic 1
Posted Image 
Pic 2
Posted Image

Yeah: Barbarian Rage expired before she managed to drop that Xvart. That means it took my Level 6 Barbarian over 5 round to melee a blue munchkin into submission...

After picking up the Gauntlets and the Tome, Barbie headed north to The Beard where she purchased the Cloak of Displacement, the Greenstone Amulet, and a fistful of Stunning Darts. The Ankhegs were taken down with Wand of Sleep->Short Swords while running Pro Acid and Shield.
Posted Image

Next it was the showdown at Firewine Bridge. 

Melium boldly declared that he was the best swordsman in the west. Barbie -still a bit confused about how this whole melee fighting thing works replied: "YOU are the best swordsman in the west? CHA! My THAC0 is WAY higher than yours! It's in the TWENTIES!"

Melium smirked and then charged boldly certain of victory. But in the end, he was forced to confront one of those simple truths that lurks deep in the mind of every proud-hearted warrior: a movement rate bonus and Stunning Darts beats strength and a shiny THAC0 everytime. He fell to the Short Swords.
Posted Image

Barbie's next stop was the Flesh Golem cave. I let her drink a Potion of Strength before engaging the Sirines: That's all it takes to turn her into a proper warrior of course.
Posted Image

The chunks started flying...
Posted Image 

and before long, it was time to take down Mulahey.

The Kolbold army got the Wand of Sleep.
Posted Image

The Shaman made a nuisance of himself with Blindness...
Posted Image

but Barbie is quite used to operating with a miserable THAC0 by now...
Posted Image

Mulahey was taken down under Shield, Potion of Freedom, Potion of Strength, Greenstone Amulet, and Barbarian Rage. The Potion of Freedom could have been skipped, but since Barbie planned to visit Revenant and the Ghasts right after leaving the mines, quaffing before Mulahey made sense. The Greenstone Amulet was used because Barabrian Rage doesn't cover Feeblemindedness.
Posted Image

Barbie will head to Bandit Camp soon.

Best,

A.

Btw. In recognition of the fact that the Barbie joke will get old fast -and that some may be confused and frightnened by my decision to play a character without an A name- I've decided to change my Barbarian's name to Azriel. You'll note the change in her next update.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 14 April 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Sorry to hear about your toe Blind Visionary.

Enjoy your pain meds!

(Opps! I meant get well soon!)

Edited by Alesia_BH, 14 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Edit: welcome to the challenge, Azriel the Barbie. That's a lot of red circles you've surrounded yourself with. Good luck!

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
A bit of toe damage makes me wonder how any of our characters can function with a sword through the gut. What's a toe worth? One hit point?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...
What's a toe worth? One hit point?

It depends on the toe...

(Those big ones are pretty important.)

But yeah: I see your point. If someone smacked ME over the head with a two-handed sword, I don't think I'd get much done that day... 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 14 April 2013 - 01:21 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
It's the big toe. But yeah, it's not a horrid wilting or a meteor storm, or being Kronked.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...
But yeah, it's not a horrid wilting or a meteor storm, or being Kronked.

More like an Azriel short sword swipe then?

(That's good.)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel (The Halfling Barbarian formerly known as Barbie): Bandit Camp

Thanks to her high hitpoint total, Azriel had no need to worry about evading the alarm at Bandit Camp: She simply strolled up, said hi, and then killed everyone.  

"Hi!"
Posted Image

(Next the killing...)
Posted Image

Azriel pre-buffed with a Protection from Fire scroll, a Potion of Fire Resistance, a Potion of Strength, a Potion of Regeneration, and an Oil of Speed- along with charges from the Shield Amulet and the Greenstone Amulet. Necklace of MIssle blasts cleared the fodder, as seen above.

Whistling Sword swipes under Barbarian Rage and sling bullets finished off the rest.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The post battle Amazonian ambush was handled with the Greenstone Amulet, a Potion of Freedom and a Potion of Explosions.
Posted Image

Finished with the Whistling Sword.
Posted Image

Azriel will head into the Cloakwood tomorrow morning.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 14 April 2013 - 03:50 AM.