Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I play fullscreen although use windowed a bit during Enhanced Edition gameplay (better to Window than minimise when switching to something else as EE hangs if minimised too long and takes minutes to cancel). This is typically limited to when I want to make notes on the other screen - like now.

answer to your question; it scrolls around edge of window. I try to use the keyboard arrow keys instead - that means you can mouse the party with one hand and keyboard the view with the other.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Thanks, Gate! Yes, I can use the keyboard to pan the window but I also used to hit Tab every now and then (namely all the time) to see containers, doors and all that... Looks like I need to google for the solution.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I'm a constant tabber too - worse because I use 1-6 to select party members instead of lassoing them up with the mouse.

I checked the ini file and "Display Info" can't be unbound from the Tab key. My mouse scroll button does nothing in the game, are you able to re-assign that to Tab? Might take a bit of getting used to but could be a decent solution. edit: Just giving it a go with "X-Mouse button as Vista doesn't appear to allow remapping of default mouse buttons".

Edited by Gate70, 10 November 2013 - 11:36 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Greg - halfling wizard slayer (update 4)

Greg's gang went straight into the main tent (3 invisible and Imoen stealthed).  Inside Edwin put down webs and the party proceeded to kill the helpless enemies.  Outside, just killed a few bandits and Taugosz - Jaheira taking his armour.

In the Cloakwood I made a late decision to help Aldeth Sashenstar.  The supporting druids were all caught in a web, but, despite being damaged 10 times while casting, Seniyad survived just long enough to get a call lightning off - unfortunately for Jaheira.

In the second area there was another difficult fight inside the spider nest, though no-one died this time.

In the third area there were more druids to fight. 
- Amarande was not as good as concentrating as Seniyad: his first 2 spells were interrupted and he didn't get a chance for a third.
- Takiyah also resisted interruption, but only just got a hold spell off before collapsing.
- Izefiah was interrupted immediately and died before the end of the first round (Jaheira sat that one out so I didn't waste some wolves summoned to help with Takiyah).

Peter of the North died quickly, but his wyverns got some posthumous revenge on Jaheira.  She tried to cure poison using her slow poison.  In theory I think that should have been possible as she was casting immediately after one lot of poison (using pause button), but even the casting time 1 spell failed and she died before she could take a potion.

After returning from a temple trip the gang moved on to the 4th Cloakwood area.  The hamadryad proved immune to call lightning and managed to charm Greg, but that didn't help her much.  Jaheira had more joy tanking in the wyvern cave, avoiding any damage at all.

At the mine both mages survived a double web, double skull-trap and both broke free and attempted to cast a spell, but both failed.  Genthore and Drasus never made a move.  The party were overburdened with loot at this point so have just gone to sell stuff before returning to take on the mine.

Stats:
Jaheira, Fighter 5 / Druid 6, 53 HPs, 105 kills, 2 deaths
Imoen, Thief 7, 43 HPs, 81 kills, 0 deaths
Edwin, Mage 6, 32 HPs, 39 kills, 0 deaths
Greg, Wizard Slayer 6, 56 HPs, 216 kills

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Greg - halfling wizard slayer (update 5)

The gang have just arrived in Baldurs Gate.

In the Cloakwood Mine the first hurdle was Hareishan.  Jaheira tried to take care of him by dragging the lightning trap into the room, but the bolt narrowly missed the mage - a firebreath potion did the job instead.  Down to Daveorn where Imoen disarmed the battle horror traps.  A potion of magic blocking allowed Jaheira to soak up a fireball and lightning bolt.  She was eventually held after the potion ran out, but Daveorn was unable to take advantage.

After resting to allow Greg to get a second Bhaal horror, the gang drowned the mine and set about raising their reputation.  Melicamp failed to survive, but Ardrouine was grateful and Charleston Nib respected their ability to doom the Doomsayer - Edwin finishing things with a fitting vampiric touch.  Brage was willing to forget being auto-attacked after Laryssa's death and the Nashkel mayor pleased that the heroes of Nashkel mine had finally come forward; despite their new-found fame Oublek initially failed to recognise the gang wasn't Greywolf, while Prism showed his thanks for holding off the real Greywolf by committing suicide.  Samuel was lugged back to the FAI despite the best efforts of bandit ambushers and was revived to see Joia get her ring back.  Bjornin's dreams of revenge were finally fulfilled, while Officer Vai was grateful for the gang's efforts to eradicate bandits.

With reputation now at 20, the gang headed north.  An ankheg nest was emptied and Tenya given a bowl back on the way to Ulgoth's Beard.  After buying the good stuff from the shop there, Imoen managed to pickpocket Dushai at the second attempt, but he was already turning hostile, so was killed anyway. 

Jaheira, Fighter 5 / Druid 6, 53 HPs, 136 kills, 2 deaths
Imoen, Thief 7, 43 HPs, 90 kills, 0 deaths
Edwin, Mage 6, 32 HPs, 48 kills, 0 deaths
Greg, Wizard Slayer 6, 56 HPs, 248 kills

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 30 - (2nd and final update)
Treacle, elf dragon disciple (Grond0) & Dunovr, elf dragon disciple (Gate70)

The sorcerors' fire resistance proved to be their Achilles heel as this run came to a premature conclusion.  They had continued to take on challenging encounters and suffered a couple more deaths as a result.  The first was when taking on the initial group of sirines.  Both breathed on them, but the sirines 50% fire resistance meant none died.  Tackling the remaining ones with magic missiles, Dunovr got into melee with one of them and was confused - and was then unable to do anything about the arrow of biting poison that affected him.  Interestingly, Treacle had killed 2 of the 3 and was just thinking that tackling the 3rd would be too dangerous when the forces of nature helped him out.

The second death came against the red wizards.  They were spaced out enough that it was hard to breathe on all of them; the others were all killed before reacting, but Denak was only hit once.  That gave him enough time to kill Dunovr with acid arrows before he fell.

Back at the lighthouse area the second group of sirines died quite quickly in a web, although they did manage to use a couple of charms - the elvish resistance to those kicking in.  Inside, the duo had no magic ammunition, but decided to see if fire breath would work on the golems.  It did and a couple of breaths had one of them at near death and Dunovr tried to set himself up to finish it off.  Unfortunately, a lack of communication meant that Treacle was trying to act as an invisible blocker in the path of the golems and got breathed on.  The final screenshot shows a slightly smaller area than before death - that's a shame as on my screen Dunovr was actually facing the wall; given that, I'm suspicious about what part of her body she used to create the fire 'breath'.
Posted Image

Incidentally, I think Treacle had 26 HPs when he died.  That should have been enough to survive a breath doing 3d8 damage, even before taking account of his 25% natural resistance and 40% from his ring.  It's a shame then that he was wearing Gorion's Belt that subtracts 100% fire resistance!  Even with that he should have had a pretty good chance of survival, but the gods do like their little laughPosted Image.

Edited by Grond0, 11 November 2013 - 06:32 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 31 - (update 1)
Ivy, human blackguard (Grond0) & Derva, human inquisitor (Gate70)

With the dragon disciples coming to a premature end we had time to roll up a new set of BGEE characters last night.  Gate70 has tried out a blackguard himself before, so this time we've gone for a 'good cop, bad cop' pairing, rather than identical characters.

The only real action so far was getting a level each courtesy of Shoal.  She was able to lag-jump Dunovr in our previous run, but this time she didn't get much of a chance to do that after being filled with poisoned darts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 11 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Pingwin1

Pingwin1
  • Members
  • 25 posts
My paladin's no reload run has come to an end. He had cleared all of the wildnerness areas south of Baldur's Gate except the FIrewine area and had cleared the Cloakwood mines. The entire party was level 7 except for Imoen who had reached level 8.

Before heading to Baldur's gate the party went to Gullykin and, whilst exploring the FIrewine dungeon, Imoen stepped on a lightning trap which killed her. WIth no other good aligned thieves readily available to the group, that pretty much spelt the end of the game.

Ona side note, does it help to have find traps skills over 100%? I thought that Imoen would have spotted the traps easily enough with a find traps skill at 100% but apparently not.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Pingwin1: Sorry to hear that. But Safana is chaotic/neutral. She would work with any party. Also Coran is neutral good, he too would also work with your group. Did you kill them earlier or something so can't use them? Remember find traps is one try per round (every 6 sec game time), so even if a great thief there can and will be delays finding traps, so have to move slow if you don't remember where the trap is.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Well done CKT - keep it going. Make sure your party is spread apart when running into things using AoE spells (like ogre magi), so that they are only potentially affecting one at a time. Sleep is then not much of a danger (you can also wake your own people up with the odd arrow / bullet).

Thanks Grond0. Had no clue I could wake my folks up with a bullet/arrow. Might even carry a few darts for that. Thanks for the game tip.  CKT

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Pingwin1 wrote...
Ona side note, does it help to have find traps skills over 100%? I thought that Imoen would have spotted the traps easily enough with a find traps skill at 100% but apparently not.

There's no benefit to find traps skill above 100%.  The skills where higher values are useful are stealth (where considerably more is needed if you want to hide easily in lighted areas) and pickpocketing (where you have to overcome pickpocket defence from whoever is targeted).

Pingwin1

Pingwin1
  • Members
  • 25 posts

corey_russell wrote...

@Pingwin1: Sorry to hear that. But Safana is chaotic/neutral. She would work with any party. Also Coran is neutral good, he too would also work with your group. Did you kill them earlier or something so can't use them?

I thought they both disappeared if you turn down their offers to join. Too late now for the no reload - I didn't save the game after Imoen's untimely demise.

Might have another go soon though as I need to try BGEE. Perhaps a half-orc fighter-cleric will have better luck...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Greg - halfling wizard slayer (update 6)

In the City Jaheira's need for improved AC seemed more compelling than Imoen's desire to improve thieving skills - so she took the dexterity tome.  Looking for some quick XP from Arkion & Nemphre the gang took on the ogre mage in the sewers.  He quickly fell, but Greg had to rescue Jaheira and Edwin from being snacked on.

With XP still quite low the gang did a number of other encounters that I wouldn't normally bother with solo, e.g. getting the ogre gauntlets, Yago, Noralee, greater basilisk, Drelik and Jardak.  There was a death going up Ramazith's Tower where I lost track of Jaheira for a moment and she was held by some ghasts.  However, the really stupid mistake was against Marek when casting doom at him before talking - he went hostile, so I think that means there's no antidote to the poison.  I'm sure I've tested it before, but I can't remember if Greg will die of poison once he gets to Irenicus's dungeon.  He'll continue to find out ...

Did the Maulers and Degrodel's guards and on to the Merchant League then the Seven Suns.  Jaheira attracted nearly all the attacks in these battles and I paid a temple for the relatively small amount of healing needed in order not to need a rest.  For the Iron Throne Jaheira used a protection from magic scroll and fire resistance potions and acted as a target, while the others came up subsequently and poured in fire damage to the area - Jaheira was uninjured.

After reporting to Duke Eltan the gang were sent to Candlekeep.  As they were going to be blamed anyway they killed the Iron Throne party before being sent to the catacombs.  The gang has just rested (to get DUHM for Greg), ready for Imoen to rob the tombs.

Jaheira, Fighter 6 / Druid 7, 61 HPs, 162 kills, 3 deaths
Imoen, Thief 8, 51 HPs, 98 kills, 0 deaths
Edwin, Mage 8, 43 HPs, 59 kills, 0 deaths
Greg, Wizard Slayer 7, 66 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 293 kills

Edited by Grond0, 12 November 2013 - 07:49 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grond0 - in EasyTutu you just use Marek's antidote (on his body) on each party member to cure the poison - does BGT not work that way?

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
Thanks, Gate! Yes, I can use the keyboard to pan the window but I also used to hit Tab every now and then (namely all the time) to see containers, doors and all that... Looks like I need to google for the solution.

2 other options.
1 Click the "1" key to centre on charname. No good in a party, and can lead to unintended dialogue 1: OK mugger, here's all my money.

2 Double click anywhere on the screen and the game will re-centre on it. Just noticed this in BG:EE, and confirmed it works in BGT so should work in BG2? Can't remember if I used to do this when the game was originally launched but certainly haven't done it for many years.

Hope that helps. 2nd option is the neatest party window solution I've found and leaves the other hand ready to tab.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Plixcan the Halfling Fighter (solo) entering Trilogy No-Reload Challenge...

Plixcan, NE Halfling Fighter, level 5, 46 HP
STR 17 DEX 19 CON 18 INT 11 WIS 3 CHA 16

Since Theen bit it, Plixcan trying his hand at solo play. Kensai is a bit subtle for me, prefer the more straightforward fighter kit. He hasn't done anything particularly noteworthy other than take out Bassilus with the help of the greenstone amulet. He's fairly well equipped and is just about to try solve the Nashkel Mines problem.

Edited by corey_russell, 13 November 2013 - 04:39 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
@Serg. I do quite a bit of my navigation through the map screen, Pressing M opens that and then double-clicking anywhere re-centers to the normal screen at that point. If you've already explored an area that allows you to move from a long way away a lot more quickly than repeated clicking on the normal screen.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sorry to see Theen ran out of potions Corey. I hope Plixcan's plate turns a few more blades!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Grond0 - in EasyTutu you just use Marek's antidote (on his body) on each party member to cure the poison - does BGT not work that way?

No - the poison cure is by script.  However, the party are now in Irenicus' dungeon and seem to be OK.

Greg - halfling wizard slayer (update 7)

Imoen disarmed the traps and looted the Candlekeep tombs before the gang hacked their way out through some dopplegangers.  Edwin used invis 10' to allow them to get the drop on Prat - 2 of his party being killed immediately in a fiery assault before Greg switched to darts of stunning.  Jaheira took a potion to beat up the basilisks on the way out.

Went back to the City via Durlag's Tower to pick up the last wisdom tome for Jaheira.  On arrival, Slythe was pulled away from Krystin and stunnedShe cast a cloudkill on a nymph that also killed Quenash.  Krystin managed to stand in the cloudkill without killing herself and even managed to survive a backstab and some magic missiles - only to cloudkill herself again!

Rested again to get a final Bhaal power and went to the palace.  Malison and 2 horrors (Greg's Bhaal power and Jaheira's wand) sent 3 dopplegangers running and the rest stood no chance.  The gang slaughtered their way through the maze and into the Undercity.  A couple of webs prefaced an assault on Rahvin's party, though he did manage to break free briefly and damage Greg with an exploding arrow of his own.

I let all of Sarevok's companions join in for a change and to make it interesting didn't use spell protections.  Angelo fell quite early on after being hit with a dispelling arrow, but Semaj made things awkward by confusing Edwin and Imoen just before he died.  As a result Edwin had a fatal encounter with some battle horrors.  Imoen also flushed one out, but Jaheira successfully collected that one, along with Edwin's and another and took them to a corner where she used a potion of invisibility to dump them.  With no support Tazok was an easy target, leaving Sarevok on his own.  The slightly constrained area to run around in, thanks to the lurking battle horrors, meant he got a few licks in, but he was eventually persuaded to call it a day.

Jaheira, Fighter 7 / Druid 8, 68 HPs, 194 kills, 3 deaths
Imoen, Thief 9, 58 HPs, 107 kills, 0 deaths
Edwin, Mage 8, 43 HPs, 72 kills, 1 death
Greg, Wizard Slayer 8, 73 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 318 kills

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Gate wrote...
Double click anywhere on the screen and the game will re-centre on it. Just noticed this in BG:EE

Thanks for your investigations, Gate! Yes, that second option is by far the best solution at the moment for BG:EE window' scrolling. Now with that and with Stratagems v25 being released it's good time to give it a go, I think =)

Grond0 wrote...
I do quite a bit of my navigation through the map screen, Pressing M opens that and then double-clicking anywhere re-centers to the normal screen at that point. If you've already explored an area that allows you to move from a long way away a lot more quickly than repeated clicking on the normal screen.

Yup, I know that trick and use it quite often =)
And congratulations with Greg' success! Safe travels in Amn for him!

@Corey: all the best for Plixcan the Halfling! Will he be kitted in Amn or stay pure?

@Pingwin: feel sad of your misfortune... Hope your next aspirant will be more lucky.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 13 November 2013 - 06:43 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0 - grats to your WS making it through! Hope he can last a while in Amn...
@Serg - Thanks! I'm playing EasyTutu so no kits in Amn either. I've done a trilogy with a berserker, so I would rather try to finish a trilogy with not the exactly same kit that I've already done.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Killian {2} - gnome barbarian (update 1)

As previously suggested I decided to give Killian another go.  I still feel I've never really exploited the strengths of the barbarian class, so will be trying to go a long way with this one.

He's had a pretty quick trip so far.  The only normal screenshots taken were of Mulahey (necklace of missiles clearing the summons and rage protecting him) and the bandit tent (rage and potion of firebreath). 

The one moment of danger in the run was when he got stuck when a web trap triggered at the exact moment that the last ettercap appeared on the screen.  Fortunately he struggled free just as he was poisoned and was able to escape out of the web before finishing the ettercap off.

He used necklace of missiles and Bhaal horror to make Drasus & co easy and has made his way down through the mine to Daveorn's level.

After an indifferent start the last 2 level-ups have had die rolls of 11 and 12 and his HPs are now looking very healthy.

Posted Image

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Hi all… Hope you all don't mind a relative newbie jumping in here.

Anyways, entering Esymi the Half-elf Cleric/Ranger into a trilogy no-reload. Going to be played solo (for the first time ever), and currently sitting at 5/5 after completing the Nashkel mines.
STR 15 DEX 17 CON 17 INT 14 WIS 18 CHA 12
So… not a very min-maxed character. Or even that good of a roll at 93, but with 2 easily accessible WIS tomes and access to DUHM for the entire game now, didn't seem like it'd be too much of a problem.

Anyways, nothing really to report, besides being slightly worried about traps since apparently summoned creatures don't set them off… One of my level 2 slots might be set to Find Traps just to avoid getting accidentally killed off by a save-or-die trap.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
@Grond0: best of luck with Killian! btw, how is that chaotic good gnome has disliked reputation? Ate some children maybe while enraged?

@Epsil0: well met and welcome! Looking forward to see how divine warrior will fare solo. What is your setup? Vanilla or some extra mods maybe?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
You are most welcome Epsil0! Best of luck with Esymi!

(While there is a core of regular participants here, I don't think there is an elitist or exclusionary bone in any of us. Newcomers are always warmly welcomed. Once again, best of luck!)

A.