Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
He plays at 60fps but it is also practice and planning.
I trawled back a bit to recall where Sarevok had an 87 minute delusion of grandeur until Grond0'd.
social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/181/index/8358354/3#10448780

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Epsil0 wrote...
Good luck in Amn, Grond0, and avoid those Mazes!

Thanks Epsil0 - I'll do my best, though I can't promise successPosted Image

How does a regular Druid get through the game solo, anyways? Any moderately difficult fight that I wasn't using a spirit companion, I was flat-out losing due to that lowly 1 APR and pretty bad THAC0.

As Corey suggests any character can do well in the game by running and shooting.  Druids generally become much more effective once they get to 7th level and have summons available.  That only requires 35,000 XP and you can pretty much get that by killing Shoal and all the basilisks (both simple to do using ranged attacks even at low level).  Any character (other than a wizard slayer) can also buy the necklace of missiles which can help with various other fights.

Edited by Grond0, 19 November 2013 - 06:42 PM.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Ah. I just kept abusing the heck out of my Spirit companions, but it worked…
Second and final update. Raced around Baldur's gate to hit the EXP cap, took out maybe half the Iron Throne Headquarters before I decided to invis via Pixie dust and go to Candlekeep. Before leaving, finished the assassin quest by killing all of the temple of Umberlee, keeping the tome of wisdom for myself.

I was sadly unable to force the locks to obtain the two tomes in the Candlekeep dungeons; Strength of One + DuHM isn't enough, it seems, and I couldn't think of another way to boost strength since Druids can't drink the potions. The Doppleganger battle was iffy - one Duke fell, Lacon's Spirit companion was utterly slaughtered by 4 of the Dopplegangers… Ended up having to constantly run while the guards took potshots at them. Thieve's maze was Stealth'd through, and the Sarevok battle was essentially over as soon as I killed off the mage with summons. Here's the final screenshots, including character record. Funny to see how few kills Lacon himself got: the spirit companion did more significant damage by far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Epsil0, 19 November 2013 - 07:01 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Congrats Epsil0 - good luck in Amn.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Epsil0 wrote...
I was sadly unable to force the locks to obtain the two tomes in the Candlekeep dungeons; Strength of One + DuHM isn't enough, it seems, and I couldn't think of another way to boost strength since Druids can't drink the potions. 

You could use a potion from Carnival merchant (red or violet one, i can't remember) to set your Str to 25. That should be enough, afaik.

Anyway, congratulations on graduation! Keep it safe in Amn!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Indeed - the violet potion is the only way to get the strength tome for a number of classes (the lock requires a minimum strength of 24 to bash it). Well done anyway Epsil0 - keep it going in Amn!

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Heh, well, my time in Amn was short and swift as I didn't realize that Greater Command had a target of "Creature" rather than "Enemy" like most divine spells have. Live and learn, I guess.

Continuing to try never-before-tested classes, up next is Quinn the Paladin, along with all the requirements that go with it. Stats are 18/53, 12, 18, 10, 13, 17, with 2 points in Longbow and 2HS each. Already nearly got myself killed by a Magic Missile while deviating from my normal course; now I remember why I never travel to the Friendly Arm Inn first.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Quinn, second and final update.
I seem to keep making silly mistakes after finally getting somewhere half-decent with my characters. This time, it was making a wrong move in the Cloakwood Mines: I got hit by a lightning bolt 3 times as I stupidly backed into a corner, and that was that.

Back to an Elven Archer, I think...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Sorry to hear that Epsil0. It's a good idea to have 100% lightning resistance the 2nd level of the Cloakwood mine, both because of the lightning bolt trap in the hallway and also Heirashan likes to throw around lightning bolts.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Evoq - elf wild mage (update 1)

I thought I might as well test my luck out again with another wild mage.  The last one was limited to only casting spells through NRD - that was possible, but pretty tiresome in practice.  This time Evoq is acting much more like a normal mage.

So far he has used lots of spells, though only of very limited varieties.  Most enemies have been blinded and then finished off with his darts.  Some have been slept and there have been just a couple of uses of magic missile.  He got help from Korax against Mutamin and then Kirian - an easy victory after her 3 helpers were all pre-blinded

After making his way through the Nashkel mines he used spells of more than 1st level for the first time against the amazons.  Three of them were blinded before a stinking cloud allowed the same treatment for Lamalha and a couple of skull traps allowed a quick finish.

Evoq's not used spells at all while being engaged directly in combat, but has sometimes done so while things have been chasing his fairy dragon familiar.  He's also tested the gods' patience a couple of times by casting spells in the vicinity of innocent bystanders.  He's had his fair share of wild surges, but none of them so far have caused any damage - in fact Evoq has taken no damage at all in the run to date.

Posted Image

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Well, I managed to start and finish with said Elven Archer. Didn't have internet connection when I started, so this is the best I can do. :P
Shilo the CG Elf Archer, starting stats: 18/44, 19, 17, 11, 14, 10. End stats: 19, 20, 18, 11, 14, 10. Proficiencies: 4 in Longbow, 1 in Short and longswords each. 72 hit points.
Started as normal, finishing off the Basilisks and Shoal to reach level 5. Did a couple odds and ends before Nashkel to reach level 6 just before entering - I had really, really bad HP rolls about this time. (46 HP at level 6… Meaning I rolled a total of 18 on 5d10. Great.)
I didn't even have to quaff my potion of freedom in the mines: he was constantly interrupted by my arrows. Ended up using it to fight the Amazons anyways, but whatever. Tranzig was actually an irritatingly tough fight, with his quick casts not giving me enough time to interrupt him, but he fell after a rest downstairs. Went to get the Greenstone amulet, finished off the Sirines and leveling (except one… It went invisible and never showed back up,) and using a potion of Absorption, retrieved the CON tome for the much-needed 7 hit points.

Tazok's tent was fairly simple, drinking a potion of magic blocking before entering, and sniping down the mage before the potion ran out. The rest was kiting and abusing the boots that granted Missile bonus to AC… What were they? Cat's grace or something like that? The cloakwood mines, on the other hand, gave me the scare of my life. First 3 floors were cleared uneventfully, since this time I used a potion of absorption to ignore the Lightning bolts. In fact, the mage on the second floor ended up killing herself when it ricocheted past me and into herself. Trouble came on the last floor, again to those wretched Battle Horrors. I managed to get myself pinned down in a corner, no way past, and as usual, I was losing 1-1 against a Battle Horror. Several times got to the point where Shilo was 1 hit away from death, but I chose for him to drink some sort of buffing potion. 3 20s and 2 19s later, the first Battle horror was dead, and I never got into melee with the second, shooting it with a few arrows of ice I had. Davaernon, by comparison, was a cakewalk.

Into Baldur's gate. After the obligatory Dex tome, Shilo decides to fulfill the "Good" requirement of his alignment if not his Chaotic, helping the Flaming Fist out with both problems before investigating the Iron Throne. Gained enough gold to purchase all the potions I could possibly need and the all-important Dispelling arrows. Nearly messed up again in the Iron Throne, but running up and down stairs prevented me from the worst of their spells. Finished, got sent to Candlekeep where I was imprisoned and escaped via Invisibility potion, but not before I obtained the STR tome. I actually rested down here at least 5 times, waiting for the game to finally give in and give me my DuHM… I had to do this several times for most of my abilities.

Anyways, I made one last side trip to Ulgoth's beard to purchase the Sand-thief's ring - no getting caught out without invisibility this time! Slythe was killed, both dukes were saved, and I had to rest for another 24 hours before I obtained my second DuHM. I… nearly messed up in the maze again, nearly dying to 3 consecutive Magic Missile traps. Fortunately, I got the Shield amulet activated by the third one, leaving me with ~9 or so health.

Invis'd my way past everything until reaching the Temple. Making note of the advise given by others, I set out to separate them. Sarevok was the first in my sight, and without buffing sent an Arrow of dispelling at him. Miss, but activated his conversation, and immediately went back Invisible. I accidentally set off a Web trap, but I used this to my advantage, moving over to where the Mage would teleport. The web went off, his mage (Angelo, is it?) eventually became trapped, but to my chagrin I didn't kill him before he freed himself. Drank my last potion of Magic blocking and laughed as I shot him full of magic arrows while he couldn't touch me. He eventually Dimension Door'd back before I could kill him, though.

I buffed up here with Oil of Speed, Potion of Heroism, DuHM, and Potion of Invulnerability before going invisible one last time. With a THAC0 of -4, I one-shot Angelo's remaining health before turning my attention to Sarevok. Two arrows were enough to hit the Dispel, and from there it was just running back and forth in front of the entrance shooting arrows at him until… Posted Image
Fin. Time to take a break before heading into Amn with all of my 72 hitpoints. (rolling 26 on 7d10… Definitely below the average of 38-39.)

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Good luck with yet another Wild Mage, Grond0! Have fun!

And congratulations, Epsil0! Take care of your Archer in Amn!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Best of luck with your Wild Mage Grond0 - sounds like you are using a wild mage as it is supposed to (cast spells).

Nice work with your archer, Epsil0! I noticed you used the potion of magic blocking a few times, when solo it's definitely my favorite potion in BG 1 and if solo, I like to use it against Tranzig if I intend to fight him.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done Epsil0.

Evoq - elf wild mage (update 2)

Thanks Serg, Corey.  Evoq has continued to make pretty serene progress and, despite taking his first damage, safely arrived in Baldur's Gate.

After taking the trouble to use a strength spell to get in to see Joseph's widow, I then mis-clicked on the conversation option and failed to return the ring anywayPosted Image.

There were no further errors for a while as Tranzig was blinded at the 5th attempt.  At the bandit camp the familiar guided in sleeps and stinking clouds to clear out the bandits, while Taugosz was blinded.  Inside the tent 9 blinds were sufficient for Hakt, Venkt & Britik leaving one left to successfully deal with Raemon after a stinking cloud.

Went north to ransack the ankheg nest.  Then on to Ulgoth's Beard - en-route Evoq using his staff for the first time to persuade Tenya to accept his help. 

Went through the Cloakwood invisibly to get to the mine.  Drasus & Genthore were blinded before web and stinking cloud set up a double skull-trap to finish the mages.  After sneaking down to Daveorn, 3 skull traps in webs were insufficient for the battle horrors, but a first use of a wand finished both of them off.  A potion of magic blocking got Evoq through the last traps without any damage and foiled some initial spells from Daveorn (the familiar being put into storage for safety here).  Evoq then retreated and went invisible before a web / stinking cloud / skull trap finished off the mage.

After a break in play I then carelessly got Evoq injured for the first time - I thought he was invisible and approached the mustard jelly quickly, only to run into a poison shot!  After successfully using Bhaal slow poison he decoyed the mustard jelly away in order to get at the treasure before leaving invisibly.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
OK, I've got to ask: how did you manage to take no damage from the traps in Nashkel mine, Grond0? To my understanding, CG mages get Dragonlings which can't disarm traps. Mirror image while walking across them, or something like that? Using the familiar itself to absorb trap damage before healing it?

Congrats to making it to BG - I'm sure you'll be done with Sarevok soon. *knocks on wood, hopes for no wild surge petrification*

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Epsil0 wrote...

OK, I've got to ask: how did you manage to take no damage from the traps in Nashkel mine, Grond0? To my understanding, CG mages get Dragonlings which can't disarm traps. Mirror image while walking across them, or something like that? Using the familiar itself to absorb trap damage before healing it?

You've outlined the options nicely Epsil0.  Originally I intended to try going through with mirror image from Evoq, but he failed to learn all 3 of the scrolls on offer at High Hedge - therefore he cowered behind his familiar.  Fairy dragons have mirror image available, but it did actually take damage - healed with Bhaal power.  The battle horror traps on the way to Daveorn were done the same way.

Edited by Grond0, 22 November 2013 - 04:43 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Evoq - elf wild mage (3rd and final update)

A marathon battle (over 2 hours real-time) against Sarevok ended in failure for Evoq.

In the City he had picked up the tomes - blindness being used to protect against Jalantha, Ramazith and Marek.  He used invisibility to go up Ramazith's tower and investigate the Iron Throne.

A quick tour picked up the tomes from the pirate cave (invisibility) and Durlag's Tower (invisibility + potion of magic blocking for the trap). Then back to Athkatla to talk to Duke Eltan and be sent back to Candlekeep.

At Candlekeep used MGoI, mirror image and knock to empty the tombs, although not without incident.  I was a bit careless there and Evoq got poisoned by a phase spider - he didn't have any healing potions or antidotes so had a few nervous moments before successfully using his Bhaal slow poison.  He left invisibly and travelled back to Athkatla.

A couple of monster summoning spells occupied Slythe long enough for wand scorchers to finish him off.  There was then another worrying fight at the palace.  Evoq opened up by summoning some monsters and putting improved invisibility on Belt.  The aim was to use darts of stunning and wand of paralysation to disable the dopplegangers: the darts proved hopeless with not a single doppleganger affected, but fortunately the wand was far more effective, with 4 dopplegangers being held by the end.

After going invisibly through the maze (using scroll of magic protection against the traps) and into the temple, Evoq used a sling for the first time to draw Sarevok out.  That was done successfully only for a mis-click to send Evoq galloping into sight of the others!  That prompted a couple of spells targeted on him, but running round for a while back at the entrance to the temple disclosed no follow up action.  With his buffs to missile attack gone and no remaining potions Evoq was struggling to hit Sarevok, but the only wand he had was monster summoning so couldn't damage Sarevok using items either.  Sarevok was going through the monsters much too quickly to be killed by that wand so Evoq tried to stretch their capabilities by running Sarevok round while hobgoblin archers shot Sarevok.  That did work, but very slowly given that the archers needed a 20 to hit and then only did 1-3 damage.

When the scroll of magic protection ran out Sarevok was still only injured.  Evoq tried a malison in combination with web and stinking cloud, but Sarevok made all his saving throws, so no free attacks.  He carried on doing his best though and finally got Sarevok to near death with the last charge of his monster summoning wand.  He used the last of his 3 magic missile spells and his final potion of speed and hit Sarevok a number more times.  At this stage the battle was still very much a toss-up with Sarevok probably down to between 20 and 30 HPs and Evoq down to about 80 assorted magic darts - he would expect a dozen hits with those with average damage of a bit over 2 HPs per hit.  If that failed to kill Sarevok Evoq still had a green scroll of magic protection available and would have tried to draw Sarevok into one of the skull trap traps.

However, a close finish was avoided when Sarevok apparently went out of line of sight unexpectedly as Evok was running round one of the pillars.  My autopause on enemy sight meant that an intended pause was turned into an unpause and Sarevok's big sword licked out to chop Evoq's head off.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Sorry to hear of Evoq Grond0 - good to know his own spells didn't kill him though.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Oof, hard luck there Grond0. I'm also somewhat surprised that he didn't cause anything TOO bad to happen with his spell slinging. And a two-hour battle, at that… I'm fairly sure I would've run out of patience far before then.

Since I failed pretty badly in Amn to a save-or-die spell, time to roll up a new character. Or rather, the 3rd iteration of the same class: the first messed up pretty badly against the Basilisks and Silke in a vain attempt to get some cash/scrolls, and the second I walked straight into Neera before leveling a single time, dying immediately to an MAA. Anyways.
I'll be playing with Jonathan, Neutral Good Human Skald, solo unless I really, really need help. (Case in point: recruiting Xzar and Monty as fodder against a Wolf that happened to spot me, first map.) Rolled a 91, but even that had to be split up into 16/17/15/18/10/15… So basically an 86 point-buy for a wizard + 5 Charisma. I intend to end up going the offensive physical route with fun stuff like Tenser's Transformation in BG2, but that's looking a bit far ahead.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Good luck with Jonathan, Epsil0.

Schade - fighter / mage / cleric (update 1)

I thought I would have a go with this jack of most trades - though he'll primarily act as a fighter.  Thus far he's just seen off Shoal and arrived in Beregost.

Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Schade - fighter / mage / cleric (update 2)

Schade's done the bandit camp, though he's just had an escape against Bassilus.  Most encounters with dangerous enemies he's disabled them in advance, but didn't do bother doing so with Bassilus.  He was held twice in this encounter - the first was effectively neutralised by sanctuary, while the second Bassilus was already dead by the time the hold activated (he's behind a tree in the screenshot).

Currently at level 4 / 4 / 5.

Edited by Grond0, 23 November 2013 - 06:36 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Schade - fighter / mage / cleric (3rd and final update)

Schade has successfully made it through BG1. 

He didn't have any more particular difficulties in battles, although I did made several other mistakes:
- mis-clicked on conversation with Thalantyr, so failed to find out if Melicamp would survive.
- mis-clicked again talking to Lothander, but he provided a second chance to get the correct option.  Also didn't talk to Lothander after coming out of the Fortune Teller's tent, so had to go back after searching the inn. 
- clicked on a doppleganger while invisible in the tombs, but managed to move again before Schade's attack started.

Schade used almost no potions in most of his run, but took an overdose for Sarevok (power, speed, 2 x mind focusing and invulnerability) and added spell buffs to those as well.  That was done with a view to killing him in melee and, in the event that was done pretty easily, although Schade did renew his mirror images during the fight.  Just looking at the screenshot of the fight, Sarevok attacked 16 times, which included a very high proportion of 50% criticals (5 hits and 3 misses)
Posted Image

Here's Schade's record on entrance to the dungeon.
Posted Image

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grats Grond0! Hope you character does well in Amn...

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts
Key EventGarrick, loyal follower of Balian of Candlekeep in Beregost.

Leaving from Nashkel Balian led us south to the Nashkel Mines. Balian saved a heartbroken artist from the wrath of a bounty hunter who was pursuing him for some gems he stole to complete his work. While his theft was ill-advised his passion for his work was admirable. As an artist myself, I was moved @ Balian’s compassion.

Posted Image
Returning a dagger to a brave minor, Kylee.

So far, Balian has moved thru two layers of the Nashkel Mines. We are finding wildly fantastic stories about the cause of the missing minors ranging from dragons to demons & ghosts but what we are finding is Kobolds. To this point we’ve killed maybe 20 of the things & claimed gold, gems, short swords & short bows. 

Treasure of note: Scroll of Color Spray (Dy)

Current Disposition: Unloading treasure and resting in Nashkel.

Next Steps:
Return to mines & enter the shaft to the next level down. 

Level Up: Jaheira to Warrior/Ovate (Ftr/Drd-Avr 2/2); Imoen to Robber (Thf/4) improved to 50% F/Traps & 45% O/Locks, H/Shadows, M/Silently; Balian, my liege, was promoted to Hero (Ftr/4)

Current Party: (Reputation: 12 - Average)
Balian: Ftr/4 w/S/Mail, L/Shield, B/Sword**, B/Axe/T/Axe* (Flail*, 2H/Sword*, SSS*)
Khalid: Rgr-Arch/3, S/Leather, L/Bow***, B/Sword* (2WS**, SWS*)
Jaheira: Ftr/Drd-Agr/2/2, C/Mail wMShld, Slg*, Q/Staff*, Scm* (Club*)
Imoen: Thf-Sbk/4, S/Leather, S/Bow*, S/Swd*, Dgr*
Garrick: Bard/3, C/Mail, Hvy C/bow of Acc*, S/Swd*
Dynahier: Mage/3 w/Br of Def AC8, Slg*

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 23 November 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
So, I never posted about Jonathan's 3rd demise before restarting outside of Candlekeep again. Foolishness/not paying attention killed him in Nashkel mines as I accidentally broke invisibility to pick up Joseph's ring instead of picking it up from the Inventory. From there, I simply ran out of potions/heals and couldn't manage to rest without being ambushed. Killed by Kobolds… How humiliating.

4th attempt: Shoal is killed again for 3 levels, the extra weapon proficiency going into Longbows. Two attacks + Skald's song is probably the best way to go, I think. I sell a diamond, two pearls at High Hedge and buy up a good number of scrolls, failing to learn approximately half of them. Jonathan shrugs, fails to save a chicken, and heads to the Basilisk area. This didn't go as smoothly as I planned - while all the Basilisks at the top were duly killed, Korax took a few hits from the Greater Basilisk and ultimately fell fighting the Greater Basilisk in the south. I, of course, high-tailed it out of there.

Back to High Hedge to try to learn Protection from Petrification, fail both scrolls. (This happened to me on my first run too… 85% learn rate my left foot.) At least I learned Horror from the Basilisk mage, which is put to good use against the Giant Spiders. Head north, kill the Ogre, sell the belt, (since if I'm being attacked, I'm probably doing something wrong. :P ) completing all the quests in the Inn besides the belt one.

Bassilus is sniped down from afar - he never managed to land a spell on Jonathan. The 5k gold is much appreciated and promptly blown on potions and scrolls. And still Thalyntyr doesn't recognize me, after spending who-knows-how-much gold at his store.

Onto Nashkel. Neira is kited through doorways, leading to an easy kill and 400 more gold. Greywolf is killed for his +2 Longsword. Making a decision I haven't in awhile, I head off to the Gnoll fortress to retrieve the +1 Cha book, stopping to get the Bracers of Archery first. That done, it's back to Nashkel mines where I very nearly got Jonathan killed again…

The mines themselves went smoothly. 10 damage from traps, but quickly fixed by a potion, and I was at Mulahey very quickly.

That's where things went wrong. My spell book was LMD, Armor, Shield, Horror, and a used Invisibility. Nothing to deal with Skeletons, really, and I had only 8 potions on me at this point. Imprudently, I go for Mulahey immediately after casting said Armor and drinking my potion of Freedom. And… I instantly get mobbed by all the skeletons and kobolds. Quickly abandoning his tactic of killing Mulahey, Jonathan runs into a corner with his sword so he has to deal with only one at a time - this works for a time, but he's down to two potions and maybe 3 skeletons and 2 kobolds left alive. And Mulahey, but he's wasting time casting Hold Person until he finally casts his Entangle, giving Jonathan some room to work with. From there, I could finally get out and kite everyone to death. I failed to learn Web from the chest, though, much to my chagrin.

All my remaining potions were used to heal up before I tried leaving. Mistake - I should've just rested immediately to recharge my Invisibility to make good my escape. Instead, I ran out the door, and into the Kobold Commandos outside Mulahey's door. After dropping again to near-death status, I ran back, they followed, but they didn't follow the second time when I left again. Jonathan managed to rest once in that cave, and I didn't learn from my last mistake and cast Invisibility before resting again. Cue Kobold ambush, and another near-death survival, where I finally cast Invisibility and rested for an entire day to fully heal up. What a comedy of errors that somehow Jonathan survived.

The Amazons… Well, they went about as well as can be expected by a potion-less caster under my control (that's not very well, as some of you might be able to tell.) I got them hostile without getting any spell casters on me, which was a good (and my only good) play. Horror separated their warrior from the group and I easily took her down. The dart thrower was pulled, and I beat her… But not before getting poisoned and accidentally running into the Slime Mage. Great.

I manage to escape to a vacant part of the map where I rested one last time, casting both CLWs I had and then Invisibility to collect the magical gear/darts before finally deciding to cede the fight and just run to Nashkel. Nimbul, by comparison, was easy to this: Jonathan just cast Shield and laughed as it absorbed 5 separate flurries of Magic Missile. Gained that very nice Find Familiar scroll, used for the extra 6 HP and importantly the ability to finish clearing out the Basilisks, which was promptly done for level 7 and my first level 3 spell.

Back to High Hedge again to purchase every single scroll he had available I hadn't learned, most of them level 3s. Got Skull Trap, casting it essentially on top of Tranzig, who apparently won't start spell casting until he's talked to you… Jonathan didn't complain as he danced around the stairwell shooting arrows as the mage kept yelling at him to stand down and speak to him. As if. And that's where Jonathan is now… 41 HP, level 7, have yet to clear the Sirines which will be his next task.