Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Jonathan's second and final update: things went more or less smoothly before I tried my hand at blasting my way through the Bandit camp with a wand of fireball… Lack of AC got him nailed by several poisoned arrows inside the tent, and that was that. Going to take a break from playing a bard - back to some sort of Warrior-type, I think.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Feel sad of your loss, Epsil0. Better luck next time.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
 Been lurking here for a while, but now it's time to commit to something :)
I've tried several "no reload" challenges before, but I fail every single time. Usually just because I do something I know is very risky, but I want to try anyway. Still, once again I'm aiming to complete this challenge.
Will start with a half-elf fighter-druid and solo until I'm around level 5 (or maybe even 6) of each class. From then on the game should be pretty smooth, since NPCs will start at a higher level as well. 
My char as for now:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6487838/wulfe-prologue.png

webkit-fake-url://035F85CB-4506-4437-8A22-96FE764D67AC/image.tiff

Edit: seems I can post image directly, due to being new account :( Anyway, fighter / druids with slings are very deadly in the original BG. The bonus damage from strength is added to sling shots. So with my +5 bonus damage from strength, will hit like a truck :)

Edited by Wulfe81, 27 November 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Welcome and good luck, Wulfe!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Wulfe81: About not seeing your images - I think it's because you don't have any registered Bioware games (like Dragon Age). If you had at least one registered game, I think you images would show. Presumably this prevents spammers/bots from making an account then posting images of their ads/products. Whether this will change over time I couldn't tell you...

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

corey_russell wrote...

@Wulfe81: About not seeing your images - I think it's because you don't have any registered Bioware games (like Dragon Age). If you had at least one registered game, I think you images would show. Presumably this prevents spammers/bots from making an account then posting images of their ads/products. Whether this will change over time I couldn't tell you...

I don't think this is the case, Corey. See, many other no-reload participants (Grond0, Gate, Potty, WaterMane, Polytope, DeeKayNL, Charlestonian Knight Templar, Epsil0 and others) have not any registered Bioware games but their images are shown just fine. I think, he just need to make a little bit more posts or some time should pass until his images will show.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 27 November 2013 - 05:40 PM.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Ah lol, I died by Silke when I was level 4 fighter / level 5 druid. Good thing I exported my character, so I can try again tomorrow :P

So annoying when my first 2 attacks miss her, even with my strength. She does too much lightning damage.

Edited by Wulfe81, 27 November 2013 - 06:02 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Hard luck, Wulfe... Silke is famous with her lightning bolt attacks... Better luck/concentration next time!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 27 November 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

Hard luck, Wulfe... Silke is famous with her lightning bolt attacks... Better luck/concentration next time!

Either that or I just have to buy some lightning resist potion. I guess for "no reload" challenge it makes more sense to remove as much luck factors as possible in difficult fights.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Wulfe81 wrote...
I guess for "no reload" challenge it makes more sense to remove as much luck factors as possible in difficult fights.

You are right, of course.  Even single %s of probability to fail a save or something like that is too much, especially when solo. But... it wouldn't hurt if your character will be Tymora's favorite, no? :)

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 27 November 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Ooh, Silke. I almost always take her on, impatient player than I am, trying to get that early 300 gold. Strength doesn't give a bonus to-hit, though, does it? To my knowledge, it's just base THAC0 + proficiencies + enchantment bonus. At level 5 Druid, though, you should've had access to the first of the Insect spells, right? It should have a faster casting time than II, so the chances of landing it and stopping her spell-casts for good are quite high. Edit: I lie. II has a casting time of 4, and a Druid doesn't get any spells that can stop it in time. Perhaps an immediate Invisibility Purge, but that doesn't stop the Lightning Bolt from screaming towards your head.

After two or three failed attempts at soloing a vanilla Fighter, I'm kind of worn out from playing no-reload solo. I make too many mistakes and take too many risks, so here we go again with a no-reload party… I'll be taking out my pacifist Skald again, probably a party or 4 or 5; myself, Immy, Kivan, and Branwen are looking like my early-game choices.

Edited by Epsil0, 28 November 2013 - 03:40 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Epsil0 wrote...
Strength doesn't give a bonus to-hit, though, does it? To my knowledge, it's just base THAC0 + proficiencies + enchantment bonus.

Strength gives a bonus to-hit in melee combat; for missiles the bonus comes from dexterity.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

Wulfe81 wrote...
I guess for "no reload" challenge it makes more sense to remove as much luck factors as possible in difficult fights.

You are right, of course.  Even single %s of probability to fail a save or something like that is too much, especially when solo. But... it wouldn't hurt if your character will be Tymora's favorite, no? :)

Sadly, somehow Tymora never seems to favor me... Perhaps if someday I can steal the rabbit foot of Alora my tides will change :)

Anyway, will try again today, but with a new character instead. Using ranged weapons and kiting most of the early game can be solo'd pretty effectively, so my new druid will have the following stats:

STR: 16 (+1 bonus damage on sling attacks)
DEX: 18 (to use sling effectively)
CON: 14 (will be able to get it up to 16 in the expansions, which is the maximum useful for druids anyways)
INT: 11 (with book will be able to get to 12, which I need to use Cernds cloak + staff in Baldur's Gate 2)
WIS: 17 (sadly not able to get to 18, due to the other stat requirements)
CHA: 15 (minimum that druids are allowed to have)

My character is a human, again a requirement for Cernds staff + cloak. In Baldur's Gate I might be able to kit to shapeshifter and with Cernd's items I should be plenty powerful in melee, early on. The staff gives bonus regen and the cloak gives +1 armor / saves and stacks with rings.

Will do some Beregost quests + clear some areas nearby in order to reach level 6. Afterwards will continue with main questline. NPCs will join at level 6 as well, so game should be smooth from then on.

This is a bit of meta gaming, but if I succeed it should be fun :P

Edited by Wulfe81, 28 November 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Epsil0 wrote...

Ooh, Silke. I almost always take her on, impatient player than I am, trying to get that early 300 gold. Strength doesn't give a bonus to-hit, though, does it?

Just a damage bonus for slings only, in the original BG engine. 

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Yay, dead again while en route to Melincamp the chicken. A wolf hit me for 9 damage when I was level 2. On my first levelling up only got 1 hit point (very unlucky roll), so couldn't handle the damage. Also my 2 root spell got resisted.

Feels as though my half-elf druid that I played earlier:
- had less spells resisted
- hit more often with sling, especially when dealing with the belt ogre. Took me ages this time ...

Gonna try again

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 32 - (1st and final update)
Torn, gnome bounty hunter (Grond0) & Jinga, half-elf F / M / C (Gate70)

The bad day for multi-player continued with this pair failing to make it past the first session.

They had made the usual start with Shoal and then done most of the encounters from the FAI down to Nashkel before going to tackle the basilisks.  During that process Jinga had already died twice, when Torn absent-mindedly walked past where Neera was waiting in Beregost and got the duo embroiled in a fight with the Thayan wizards. 

For the basilisks, rather than use the green scroll, Torn was relying on Jinga's mage spell and one of those allowed the southern basilisks to be killed.  A couple more dealt with the northern lot apart from Mutamin's specific pet.  He was then silenced, but problems in getting Torn positioned for a backstab meant that Mutamin started casting again before taking any damage.  Jinga successfully silenced him again and he was then hit a number of times to take him to near death.  Unfortunately, his shout for help had alerted the pet basilisk and Torn's protection from petrification chose that moment to expire - as did he!

Edited by Grond0, 28 November 2013 - 04:12 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 33 - (update 1)
Reb, half-elf F / M / T (Grond0) & Jinga, half-elf F / M / C (Gate70)

Our third pairing of the session just had time to get underway.  Gate70 kept the same character class and name, but re-rolled the character.  In particular the new one has 18 strength and constitution, so is considerably better equipped for fighting.  She has been matched up with another triple-class character, so that levels keep broadly in alignment this time.

They have just escaped from Candlekeep and shot down Shoal (for once neither character getting a level up as a result).

Posted Image
Posted Image

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Well, I'm still currently a pacifist: Eldrin the Half-elf Skald with 0 kills, making my way through the Cloakwood mines. Running with a party of 4: Kivan, Immy, and Branwen, as I had planned. Stats are the somewhat awkward 10/16/15/18/10/18; no tomes yet, as I didn't want to risk Kivan's timer running low. Level 6 all around.

There were a few iffy moments so far - the first being against the Amazons. I didn't spread my team far enough apart from each other, and consequently took some pretty heavy damage due to Glyphs of Warding. Imoen and Branwen both fell, but a rest and a subsequent Web from Eldrin mixed with Composite longbow shots from Kivan spelled the last of the Amazons' doom.

The bandit camp went surprisingly easily, abusing Branwen's -6 AC when boosted by the Skald's song; nothing could hit her save Criticals. Tazok's tent was finished in my usual manner - pulling them one at a time outside to murder them. There was a bug here when the letter that activates chapter 4 randomly disappeared, so I had to console it back in to continue.

Next problem moment was forgetting that I had a thief, and getting Branwen webbed by the first spider-area trap. We killed the spiders, but she didn't manage to save in time to drink an Antidote. No more trouble there after we raised her; Kivan now has the Spider's bane and 2 points in 2H sword.
And another mistake gets Imoen killed in front of the Cloakwood mines; MAA and Fear = death. Cue another raise. Finally, last mistake where I am now: I was clearing out all of the Cloakwood mines and came across a mage in the barracks. Well… Branwen and Kivan both got caught in a triple-bouncing lightning bolt that killed everyone in the room, the mage that cast it including. Imoen and Eldrin survived, though, and got back safely to the FAA to raise them. Again. So far, Kivan's died once, Imoen twice, and Branwen thrice. We'll see how the actual boss goes. :P

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Wulfe has reached level 6 by solo-ing several areas around Beregost and joined up with Jaheira, Khalid and Imoen.

Together they've cleared some remaining quests around Beregost and killed an Ankheg for a shell which will be turned into an armor for Wulfe.

Eventually Wulfe decided to explore the coastal area. Sadly, golems shattered Imoen in little pieces when exploring a cave and trying to steal treasure.

---

Reminder for other people that try the "no reload" challenge: ALWAYS turn off the AI button. I used an invis potion on Imoen to save her, but she decided to attack a golem while being invisible. At least Safana is a pretty decent replacement for Imoen, having skilled up both Lockpicking as well as Trap Detection at level 6, 2 of the most important thieving skills. I hope I can manage to keep her alive, at the very least.

I think I'm going to change the party setup eventually, might go for an evil party eventually, since I think Xzar, Montaron, Edwin and Viconia are more fun characters compared to the good / neutral guys.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Wulfe just cleared Ulcaster with his party (Safana, Khalid & Jaheira). Some minions were tricky, especially the mustard jelly and vampiric wolf. The mustard jelly seemed only be susceptible to the warhammer Khalid had in his inventory and the vampiric wolf only died when using some unidentified arrows (normal arrows and any other weapons didn't seem to have too much of an effect). Gotta love the entangling roots spell though, makes so many fights a lot easier / safer.

Wulfe & Jaheira realised that the Flame Sword spell does have it's uses every now and then and therefore will memorise this spell from now on in their spell books. Either Jaheira or Wulfe will also learn Shillelagh (depends a bit who gets to use the 2h magic staff).

Wulfe's current stats (after using the CON tome): https://dl.dropboxus...87838/wulfe.png

Posted Image

Edited by Wulfe81, 29 November 2013 - 09:12 PM.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
With regards to my pure druid, decided to put him on hold. I'm kinda annoyed that Imoen died on me, also I created the druid with Baldur's Gate 2 in mind (shapeshifter build), but I figured I might not like staying in werewolf form all the time, therefore a fighter > druid build would be better if I want a melee capable cleric.
For now I saved a back-up of my "old" druid, just in case ...

Posted Image

I created a fighter now with the following stats:
Fighter
Human
True neutral
  • STR: 18/96
  • DEX: 16
  • CON: 15
  • INT: 10
  • WIS: 17
  • CHA: 16
spear **
missile weapons **

Once I get the CHA tome, I'm able to dual class to druid, if I want. Will probably dual-class at level 7. I really wanted at least 15 CON for a slight hp bonus, which helps a lot early game. DEX needed to be at least 16 for bonus armor and being reasonably competent in ranged combat, which I will rely on at the very start of the game. Later on, when I have a full party, some other character will be the main tank and my fighter will be dealing out damage using a halberd +1 and avoid getting hit too much; for this reason I don't think I need max DEX. 

Edited by Wulfe81, 30 November 2013 - 08:08 AM.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Wulfe managed to reach level 6 as a fighter. At the moment cleared Beregost and a few nearby areas and also the Basilisk area, except for the adventuring party. In order to kill all Basilisks Wulfe had to use a scroll of Protection from Petrification bought on the carnival. He also killed Tarnesh, had to use the Potion of Clarity (I think) to prevent any fear effect.

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Wulfe decided to go to Naskel. He prepared himself with several potions of freedom and went on his way. In Nashkel a cleric attacked him, so Wulfe quickly gulped a potion of freedom to prevent Hold spells. Sadly this didn't seem to work, since Wulfe was held anyway. Neira could freely hit Wulfe until only 2 hit points were left. The Hold spell dissipated and Wulfe quickly ran into a side room to chug healing potions. Afterward Neira was quickly dealt with.

---

Now I wonder: I read that potions of freedom should prevent Hold & Paralysis effects, but it didn't seem to work for me. Am I missing something?

Wulfe81

Wulfe81
  • Members
  • 12 posts
My adventures came to an end. Trying to solo the Lighthouse map got my warrior confused by a sirine. He started doing random things, getting poisoned and eventually dying.

*sigh*

Time to restart.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Haha, well, my party-run came to an end while hunting experience in unfamiliar places - discovered the Red Wizard area, and promptly got webbed and mobbed by ~7 spiders, including a Phase spider… Yeah, my mistake in not drinking a potion of Freedom before I got mobbed. Time to restart as well…