Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck Epsil0. That trap is pretty lethal if you're not expecting it - a good illustration of the dangers of doing unknown areas in a no-reload!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 33 - (update 2)
Reb, half-elf F / M / T (Grond0) & Jinga, half-elf F / M / C (Gate70)

This duo has made reasonable progress and just emerged safely from the Nashkel mines.

After doing the main spine of the map from FAI down to Nashkel, the duo took a trip through the Cloudpeaks.  A couple of winter wolves there gave free XP (thanks to the 100% cold resistance from Gorion's belt).

Hulrik was helped and Meilum robbed on the way to the basilisk area.  Again we relied on mage spells there to protect against petrification.  For greater insurance though this time Jinga cast spells on both characters, spaced out a few rounds in order to give warning to Reb that her protection was about to lapse.  In the event the basilisks were all killed easily enough anyway and this time Mutamin failed to survive after being silenced.  Korax was recruited for Kirian's party and with stinking cloud, silence and hold person all used as well that was an easy victory.

A number of reputation quests were done to get that up to 20 before heading north to Ulgoth's Beard to pick up the green amulet and cloak of displacement.  Then back south to the mine.  Mulahey seemed much more inclined to be peaceful than in BGT, but he got attacked anyway.  That was the least well-handled fight of the run so far.  Mulahey was briefly put out of action by a stinking cloud, but an intended silence spell was fluffed and Mulahey summoned his troops almost at once.  Reb had to use the green amulet to defend against Mulahey's spells while finishing him off and also used his first healing potions to keep HPs up under assault by kobolds and skeletons.

Stats:
Reb, F4 / M3 / T4, 32 HPs, 102 kills
Jinga, F4 / M3 / C4, 34 HPs, 62 kills, 0 deaths
For much of the game so far Jinga was ahead in kills.  However, Reb has taken Meilum's amulet and that and the greater speed of her bow allowed her to forge ahead in the mine.

Edited by Grond0, 01 December 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
Hm. Is there any particular reason that you two went through the Cloudpeak mountains rather than just Beregost-Temple-Basilisks? I would think that you two are so sick of the early game by this point, this being your 33rd attempt!

After starting and discarding ~6 or so characters before deciding on one that I liked… Paran the CG Human Fighter (To be dualed to Cleric at level 9 in BG2. BG2EE, actually, now that it's out in the App-store.) Scores of 18/15, 18, 18, 10, 17, 12 to begin with. 2 points in Flails and Slings each, with everything after (I'm actually at the level-cap right now…) in Flails/Morningstars.
Shoal is knocked off, Melicamp luckily restored, though at the expense of quite a bit of Paran's health - he seems unable to roll higher than a 9 while his opponents keep rolling 19s and 20s. There was a little rough spot where I wasn't sure if I could get enough money fast enough to keep Paran healed because of this, the early Diamond being used to buy a potion of freedom and potion case. Short-sighted much? (At least between the thug in Feldepost's inn and Firebeard, Paran gained his 4th level.)

The fifth level came not too long after that as all the Basilisks are slain without my usual mishaps with Korax - the Basilisks tend to get smart and melee him after awhile, and that ghoul's defenses are abysmal. Back to Beregost, Paran attempts to help a wild-mage only for her to get cut down by a Flame Arrow - the gem bag, at least, was put to good use. I follow my usual path of Spiders - Ogre - FAI to finish all the quests there while activating Dorn's cutscene for later - the gold from the magic items was too much to pass up at the time. Nashkel is finally arrived at, and the Ankheg armor immediately retrieved for an unmodified -5 AC.

Neira was my one iffy moments this run. I do my usual hit-and-run thing, meaning that I run through the inn door as soon as she starts casting a Hold spell. This works for the first 2/3… But then, to my horror, a Peasant blocked the doorway on her last spell and I couldn't do anything about it. Too befuddled to even think about his previously purchased Potion of Freedom, Paran is held, and I watch helplessly as Neira casts Spiritual Hammer and starts rolling…
3, 3, 3, 6, 3, 1, 2. That's what she rolled for damage, and I started at little over half-health. I ended with something like 5 when Paran broke free. Ran to the store, drank my two remaining potions, and had a good old-fashioned melee showdown with her. Unbuffed Cleric vs Solo Fighter? No contest.

A quick side trip to the Xvart village gave me a +1 Flail, and then off to the Mines. Greywolf and Mulahey were cakewalks compared to Neira; the former couldn't hurt me on rolls of 19, and the latter's hold spells bounced off the Potion of Freedom. Had to drink a potion due to a few criticals skeletons and kobolds gave Paran, but I had bought Nashkel's temple out of potions after selling a few magical items, so again, no problem. The Amazons went down surprisingly quickly as well. Paran managed to interrupt their only dangerous spell, Rigid Thinking - anything else was a minor annoyance, nothing more, since his Potion of Freedom was still active.

Nimbul is easily handled with the Shield Amulet as usual, and Tranzig is just killed, since the evoker couldn't do enough damage to seriously endanger the now fairly healthy fighter. Bandit camp is cleared, diplomacy given the finger for the Full Plate Mail and the bonuses to AC it grants. No contest here as well. All the fighters were pulled before the mage, and down they all toppled.

Ankhegs see Paran gain his 7th level, and a trip north sees him acquire his third necklace for the game. Sirines are dealt with, Golems are dealt with (and I have yet to break my unfortunate record of always - ALWAYS - being hit with a critical by one of the three flesh golems. They even only got 9 attacks in this time!) Con 19, health of 76 at this point.

Anyways, Cloakwood. Spiders are dealt with, mainly for the perma-Free Action that Spider Bane's grants. The Cloakwood mines go smoothly, with the potion of Absorption nullifying the first mage and Magic Blocking nullifying the second. Level 8 on Davaeorn. I… made an error here that forced a cheat code - turns out that chapter 5 won't start unless I read the letters while still in that zone, and I didn't. I flooded the place. So with Baldur's gate closed to Paran due to what is essentially a scripting bug (since I killed Davaeorn, which is SUPPOSED to be the trigger…) I had to re-spawn Davaeorn for his letters, then AR'd to the flooded mines so I could activate the chapter trigger. Since this 6k experience makes no difference in the long or short run - Paran's level-capped and was going to be forced to hit the XP cap anyways just from quests/6 Greater Dopplegangers, I think I'll rule this as legitimate and continue into Baldur's gate. Eventually.

Edited by Epsil0, 02 December 2013 - 06:18 AM.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts
And Paran has victory. Free Dex tome is free. The assassin's quest is handled for the Tome of Wisdom; I simply ended up killing the priestess of Umberlee as usual. Bit of a mistake as the last assassin managed to cast Confusion on me while I had no immunity, fortunately rolled an 18 to save. Seven suns and Ogre mage are blown past with ease. Iron throne investigated invisibly, Candlekeep tombs raided under a potion of Storm Giant Strength, Absorption, and Fire resistance, and Freedom. Obtained both tomes, and the rest of Candlekeep is snuck past invisibly - painfully slowly, due to the Freedom negating haste.

I head to Beregost to rest for half a day, where I obtain my last 3 Bhaal powers - finally discovered the trick of sleeping in the streets to not burn time, since it's only the act of falling asleep that activates the chance for the dreams, not the resting 8 hours part. Tomes are read, and then off to BG again. Slythe is killed in a laughable duel. Thief vs Fighter? No bet. Dopplegangers are handled in the easiest battle of my life: potion of heroism, one of my ~6 Strength potions, and Oil of Speed absolutely murdered them before they could do anything, really.

Thieve's maze is cleared under the same trio of potions - Fire resistance, Invisibility, and Absorption, with the Shield Amulet activated to avoid the triple Magic Missile blast. Bypassed everything invisibly. Onto Sarevok. Turns out his script activates when I see him, not when he sees me, so the mage teleports away while I'm still invisible and undetected. After unsuccessfully waiting ~2 minutes real-time for his Mirror Images to fade, I pretty much go "whatever," and just drink a potion of Magic Blocking and start going to town. He dies, I'm pretty sure, to his own Cloudkill. Paran is undamaged.

Rebuff with all my offensive potions, and I pull Sarevok with the intent of melee. Kind of worked - I ended up having to run to heal 2 or 3 times, the last time invisibly. But in the end, attrition won, and Sarevok falls and Gorion is (again) avenged.

Final stats: 19/19/19/10/19/12. Human fighter. 161000 EXP. And I lied, I'm LG, not CG. 4 Proficiency points in Flails/Morningstars, 2 Proficiency points in Slings. 90 HP; rolled… 40 on 7d10, with an average of 38.5. First character that ends above average hit points - I'm not complaining.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Inspired by my recent success with the Avatars I'm eager (as usual) to immediately start a new run. (I know, I'm Baldur's Gate addict but I'm not going to be *cured*, thank you very much...). To spice the things up and to taste some more thrilling experience I've made anew (modified) my current setup by changing 1pp to most recent version (for new visual spell's effects mostly), updating TobEx (for *Attacks Are All Genuine* feature), adding all of SCS tactical challenges and dropping an Item Randomiser on top of that (the new WeiDU log is in the link below).

So meet my new aspirant, this time as Chaotic Good Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist with bright and unclouded view for a life:

Posted Image

I already have made some progress with him. Joined with Imoen and inspected the first map (aha, tree trunk is empty), then a second one (the rock hole is empty as well) and headed right to the FAI (no ring of wizardry there) to help Joia with her ring. Back to the Coast Way and dealt with Ogre there (just plain Unshey's belt on him, the girdle of piercing is randomised somewere else...). Cleared the whole map but noticed (scouted) a pack of new dark-side kobolds with three kobold commandos, kobold guard and some *plain* kobolds (saved them for later).
Down to Beregost - no Wand of Lightning in local Manor (at least the Potion of Invisibility and Bracers of Defense A.C. 8 are there, so not that bad in the end), and no any *shiny ones* in the stores, great... Well, at least we are not in dire need of money as there is almost nothing to purchase...
Completed usual tasks here (Marl, Firebead's book, Landrin's Spiders - put on sleep and smashed, Mirianne's letter - Sleep>Smack as well). 
Down to South Beregost Road, cleared the whole map, Zhurlong boots went to Imoen for easier sneaking. Then North Nashkel Road was emptied as well and the duo finally arrived to Nashkel. Found our first randomised item in the farm field - Meduim Shield +1, talked with Oublek reassuring him that we a not Greywolf & Co and endured Noober.
Brief visit to Nashkel Mines exterior (Small Shield +1 in the tree) and after quick side-trip to Valley of the Tombs (for free Dagger +2) onto Gibberling Mountans to make some slumber genocide for local residents and check local *hiding-place*. Shadow Armor?! :o  Right...Missile Attraction! :crying:  (I have *Randomise the appearance of cursed items* installed) As we were full-packed already Samuel should wait a bit and we had to run from a pair of (fastened) angry Cave Bears.

Checked Carnival stores - the same *plain* stock everywere but at least we bought Pro vs Petrification scroll (not randomised) and two colorful potions.

Time to add more friends to the crew so back to FAI.  Tarnesh put Imoen on Sleep and me on the run but she has plenty of hp to endure his MAA and MM long enough for me to  recover and finish him. We brought good news to Landrin and Unshey, got some pantaloons to wash and joined with Jaheira & Khalid at last. Quick trip to Peldvale to save/join Viconia and down to Nashkel again through dark-side kobold pack on the Coast Way (what to say... they are fun at the very least) and Karlat in Beregost (he saved vs Command but can't stand vs massive missiles assault).

Neira on the other hand failed vs Command so were easy prey (and a source of the next randomised item - another Medium Shield +1).

Joined with Minsc then through  Xvart Village (got Bastard Sword +1 in the cave) and Bear River onto rescue mission. Neville's items are not randomised so Khalid got a magical Long Sword +1 and I changed my already worn old boots on some new (and warm) ones

Assaulted Gnoll Stronghold. Hairtooth had Leather Armor +1 on him and Xvart's Cave was looted for Quarter Staff +1.

Saved Dynaheir, sent Minsc to entertain Jovial Juggler's regulars and finally at full strength team we are ready for some real adventure.

Current state:

Impish Face: Fighter (3) / Illusionist (3), 167 kills (Dread Wolf);
Jaheira: Fighter (3) / Druid (3), 56 kills (Karlat);
Khalid: Fighter (4), 73 kills (Mountain Bear);
Viconia: Cleric (4), 14 kills (Carrion Crawler);
Dynaheir: Invoker (3), just joined;
Imoen: Thief (5), 79 kills (Dread Wolf), 1 revival

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 02 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well done, Epsil0! Safe travels in Amn!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Wulfe81 wrote...
Reminder for other people that try the "no reload" challenge: ALWAYS turn off the AI button

For beginners, this is good advice. Personally, I've found AI button is quite helpful in full parties as in many combats I can let the AI handle the work (my party of paladins is a good example of this). I then turn it off for stealing, hiding, other wise not wishing to start a fight.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Best of luck Serg! And grats Epsil0 - hope you do as well in Amn.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Epsil0 wrote...

Hm. Is there any particular reason that you two went through the Cloudpeak mountains rather than just Beregost-Temple-Basilisks? I would think that you two are so sick of the early game by this point, this being your 33rd attempt!

Not especially - we do vary routes a bit to keep it interesting.  We also tend to want to tackle Kirian's party at the same time as the basilisks and an extra level or two and/or better equipment helps with that.

Well done with finishing off Sarevok - keep it up in BG2.

@Serg.  Good to see you under way already.  Shall I put a date in my diary to watch your Christmas 2014 dinner with Melissan?Posted Image

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Grond0 wrote...
@Serg.  Good to see you under way already.  Shall I put a date in my diary to watch your Christmas 2014 dinner with Melissan?Posted Image

Thanks! :) And I hope it will be a bit sooner this time...:blush:

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 02 December 2013 - 04:48 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Wulfe81 wrote...
Reminder for other people that try the "no reload" challenge: ALWAYS turn off the AI button

For beginners, this is good advice. Personally, I've found AI button is quite helpful in full parties as in many combats I can let the AI handle the work (my party of paladins is a good example of this). I then turn it off for stealing, hiding, other wise not wishing to start a fight.

I always play AI off; although the current multiplayer game is an exception. AI off until some lumbering laggy creature hoves into view - I've got an AI script of ranged and toggling AI is better than aiming for the lag-happy enemy. Should make shooting Sarevok down a lot easier too.

@Epsil0. 33 games and while the history thread indicates 1 year of multiplayer I can see our "sighting run" was running during November 2011 and think we started a few months earlier (August ish). We had an early trilogy success with lucky number 8 but seem to have regressed - my support players seeming to die quite often. Hoping to get a better computer next year so the extra lag mine causes may finally be a thing of the past and mean we'll need better excuses to explain our repeated failure.

@Serg. Nice portrait for Blackstrider. I'm sure the hours of dedication you put in are not merely an addiction but a worthwhile attempt to keep you off the streets.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Serg I just realized that if your entrant succeeds, we'll have have two characters named Blackstrider in the Hall of Heroes, thought it will be a different class - maybe he should be Blackstrider II?

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Serg I just realized that if your entrant succeeds, we'll have have two characters named Blackstrider in the Hall of Heroes, thought it will be a different class - maybe he should be Blackstrider II?

Yes, I've thought about that and agree so that could be confusing... I already have a few failed characters with different names and Winthrop usually calls me as *Impish Face* so, I think, I'll better change my current aspirant that way (as it fits nice for little gnomish prankster). Will edit my starting post now.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
 This will be my first attempt at the no reload challenge starting from BG1, my other 6 attempts started in Amn. I'll be playing with BG1tutu as Occule, a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief. I've been using Ascension, G3 tweaks, and SCSII on my BG2 attempts but I'm not sure how much those mods will affect BG1 gameplay.

Posted Image 

Edited by WaterMane, 02 December 2013 - 08:26 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Best of luck Watermane!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

WaterMane wrote...

This will be my first attempt at the no reload challenge starting from BG1, my other 6 attempts started in Amn. I'll be playing with BG1tutu as Occule, a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief. I've been using Ascension, G3 tweaks, and SCSII on my BG2 attempts but I'm not sure how much those mods will affect BG1 gameplay.

You could just install SCS v21 (last separate version) for BG1(Tutu) part of the Trilogy if you like the *similar* AI experience. Or latest combined v28 but personally I see it as *in progress* so I'm not sure I want it for no-reload run.

In any case, safe travels and good hunting for Occule!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 02 December 2013 - 08:41 PM.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
You could just install SCS v21 (last separate version) for BG1(Tutu) part of the Trilogy if you like the *similar* AI experience. Or latest combined v28 but personally I see it as *in progress* so I'm not sure I want it for no-reload run.

Yea I'll definitely consider that in future runs if the version I'm playing now turns out to be too easy.

Occule Half-Orc Fighter/Thief update 1:

Traveling with: Imoen, Kagain, Edwin, Jaheira and Viconia
DIfficulty: Core

After fleeing from the Armored Figure Occule runs into Imoen and she joins the party. We explore the area we are in clearing out any wolves, bears and gibberlings we come across. Xzar and Mataron are walked past as they look to be too peculiar of a pair to travel with. From here we head south to recruit Kagain in Beregost, all the while running from swarms of Xvarts and the arrows of bandits, then further south to scoop up Edwin before heading back towards the Friendly Arm Inn for Jaheira. Now that I remember Jaheira wants to go to Nashkel I probably should have grabbed her before heading in that direction, oh well. While at the FAI we stumble upon a Ring of Wizardry for Edwin. Khalid is a bit lacking so while Jaheira isn't looking we put him down and disband him from the group. The final party slot goes to Viconia in Peldvale where she successfully lands a command on the Flaming Fist Mercenary, eliminating the need for any kiting. 

With the party complete it is time to make sure they stick around. We choose to appease Edwin first by killing off Dynaheir at the Gnoll Stronghold. After a quick stop at Nashkel to restock ammunition we're off to the Nashkel mines. Mulahey went down quite easily with the help of Viconia's casting of Command. We emerged from the mines to find a hostile party just north of our location; the assassin group Lamalha, Maneira, Telka and Zeela. Edwin locked them down with a Web scroll  and Viconia attempted to Silence 15' Radius. The web was quite effective but silence didn't stick on the casters. One of the enemies was able to get a Rigid Thinking cast off aimed at Occule but luckily he made his save and was unaffected. South east we found Narcillicus. When we asked him for a copy of the spell he was developing he turned on us. He was killed quickly but the two mustard jellies he summoned were a bit too strong. Occule, the only member of the group able to damage the jellies drank an oil of speed and attempted to take on both gelatinous enemies alone.

Posted Image

Occule took substantial damage and was greatly slowed by the jellies' attacks. He came very near death as the moment captured above is actually just after drinking a healing potion. Thankfully the poison ticked for only 1 damage at a time and the ranged jelly attacks sent during his retreat missed. We'll have to return when we're a bit stronger and actually have remove poison ready to go. Before leaving the area completely we raid the various tombs in the zone. The eastern tomb with multiple ghasts proves rather troublesome. I must have not been paying attention for a second and Jaheira is held and hit for half her hp. The next hit immediately following the first finishes her off. 

Posted Image

Back to Nashkel to get her raised which was only 200gp, quite a bit less than in Amn. While in Nashkel we grabbed the Ankheg plate in the field for Kagain and took care of another assassin. I probably should have gotten the stealth boots from the hobgoblin earlier but its been awhile so we head there next.

Edited by WaterMane, 03 December 2013 - 06:49 AM.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts
Party is over for Balian here in the NRC. Furthest I've gotten & I might'a gone a little further w/a couple of different decisions but I'm pleased. I'll move him over to the MRC although I've got it in my mind to play a Knights of the Round Table/Robin Hood & His Merry Men Party so my interest level is waning. Below is the play by play. When my PCs fall, they fall hard & fast. LOL

CKT

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 04 December 2013 - 03:16 AM.

• Members
  • 981 posts
Key EventGarrick, loyal follower of Balian of Candlekeep in Beregost.

Much has happened since had a chance to sit w/quill in hand. Balian led us back into the mines where we overcame scores of Kobolds thru 2 more levels of dungeon before we found the evil behind the iron crisis emanating from the mines. It was a Half-Orc named Mulahay. In a pitched battle we killed him while Balian fought of scores of Kobolds and a half-dozen skeletons, but shortly after killing Mulahay, Balian & the rest of us fell. The gods must have been smiling on us b/c Amnish soldiers ventured deeper into the mines when the kobold activity decreased & they found us. The people of Amn were so thankful to Balian that, in concert w/Nalin they had him – all of us – raised. Afterward, Balian led us back to mop up the mines (i.e. fight the battle we lost again. Dy had fallen earlier & in our need for extra ‘manpower’ I added a new Mage, the enchanter, Xan).  

Posted Image
SO CLOSE...YET SO FAR...DARN IT!

Balian, a magnet for assassin’s it seems, met yet another as our group approached the Nashkel Inn after finishing up @ the mines. The assassin was more than we could manage in our weakened state after battle in the mines & we were barely able to lay a ‘glove’ on this one in support of Balian.  The assassin started hurling Melf’s Minute Meteors @ us & we fell one after another. Balian charged & tried to land a blow but he fell. Once again, Amn raised its favorite hero Balian, feeling embarrassed that an assassin attacked him on the open on the streets of Nashkel. (In the reload battle, Balian & Jaheira were the only survivors & while waiting for Jaheira to ‘get over ‘blindness, the Amnish Guard killed Nimbul. Balian raised Xan hoping that he could ‘write’ an Identify we’d found but he failed).

With just Jaheira & Xan, Balian headed to Beregost, to try & find a way to get the enchanted items he garnered from the Nashkel Mines identified so he could use the gold to raise the rest of us. In the end, he wound up having to sell Gauntlets of Ogre Power to do so, having to remain satisfied w/his 18/20 strength. But before he did that he led Jaheira & Xan to corner Tranzig. Jaheira cast Bless on all of us, Armor of Faith on herself & Chromatic Orb @ Tranzig while Xan cast Protection from Evil on himself, 2 Chromatic Orbs & Melf’s Acid Arrow @ Tranzig but he was tough enough to last thru them, especially since Balian had fallen to a Sleep spell. (In the reload, Balian sold the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, used the gold to raise all of the party. The hero was Xan w/Moonblade landing several vicious blows that allowed Khalid to finish Tranzig off). 

Treasure of note: Bracers of Archery (Khalid); Short Bow +1 & Short Sword +1 (Imoen); Bracers of Defense AC6 (Xan); Wand & Potion not identified yet

Current Disposition: Resting @ the Red Sheaf

Next Steps:
Balian has not indicated his next moves

Level Up: Xan to Theurgist (Mage-Enchanter/4)

Current Party: (Reputation: 12 - Average)
Balian: Ftr/4 w/S/Mail, L/Shield, B/Sword**, B/Axe/T/Axe* (Flail*, 2H/Sword*, SSS*)
Khalid: Rgr-Arch/3, S/Leather, L/Bow*** wBr of Arch, B/Sword* (2WS**, SWS*)
Jaheira: Ftr/Drd-Agr/2/2, C/Mail wMShld, Slg*, Q/Staff*, Scm* (Club*)
Imoen: Thf-Sbk/4, S/Leather, S/Bow+1*, S/Swd+1*, Dgr*
Garrick: Bard/3, C/Mail, Hvy C/bow of Acc*, S/Swd*
Xan: Mage/4 w/Br of Def AC6, Moonblade*, (Slg*)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 3 (Kobolds/Skeletons after killing Mulahay); Nimbul; Tranzig

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck CKT. You might want to consider using some area effect support for that battle in future - a fireball works wonders there and even sleep can be pretty useful.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Feed sad of Balian's fate, CKT...

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
Occule Half-Orc Fighter/Thief update 2:
Traveling with: Imoen, Kagain, Edwin, Jaheira and Viconia
DIfficulty: Core

The group begins by grabbing some stealth boots from a hobgoblin then proceeds to the FAI to pick up some missed quests. We obtain the Golden Pantaloons, return Joia's ring, retrieve Landrin's possessions and escort Samuel back to the Temple cleric. From here we head to the lighthouse to get the constitution tome. On our way to Beregost to get the tome idetified we are ambushed by a group of ghasts and Kagain ends up getting Held and killed. I didn't find anyone in Beregost who was able to identify the tome so we head to Nashkel to get that taken care of and to get Kagain up and breathing again. Before heading south however, we purchase a suit of Shadow Armor for Occule as I notice we have just enough coin to do so.

Raising Kagain costs the group 600gp, using nearly all of the coin received from selling Occule's old armor. Maybe the first time you raise someone it costs less (it was 200gp the first time)? We head to the archaeological site to help Charleston, kill the Doomsayer and Brage. Our reputation at this point is 17 which is on the edge of losing Kagain and probably Edwin as well. To remedy this we head back to the lighthouse and kill off Ardrouine for a -8 rep hit putting us at a more comfortable 9 reputation. We continue to go throughout the surrounding woodland and forest areas completing various quests and helping those in need. We come across Melicamp and bring him back to High Hedge where we hope to cure him of his poultry ailment. Thalantyr's casting didn't go as we had hoped however.

Posted Image

After purchasing a protection from petrification spell scroll for Edwin from Thalantyr we contemplate eliminating the mage and his golem guards. Since we don't see the group using any of the items Thalantyr offers, but would not mind the xp his death would bring, we decide to take him out. As soon as Thal is downed from a strike from Occule and Kagain the two flesh golems stormed into the room. Viconia summons a couple of skeletons to help in the fight. Occule slips out of view long enough to hide in shadows before entering combat again and finishing off the last golem with a crit backstab.

Posted Image

The next notable dungeon we enter is the Ulcaster ruins. This area is cleared without incident and the History of the Darkness is returned to the Ghost of Ulcaster. Next up is Gullykin where we make quick work of Molkar, Morvin, Drakar and Halacan before heading up to raid the houses. From here we enter the Firewine Ruins. It is a bit tedious moving about the narrow hallways but no real trouble here either. We pause our travels after slaying Kahrk and Meilum in the Firewine Bridge area.

Edited by WaterMane, 04 December 2013 - 07:05 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

WaterMane wrote...
Raising Kagain costs the group 600gp, using nearly all of the coin received from selling Occule's old armor. Maybe the first time you raise someone it costs less (it was 200gp the first time)?

The cost is level dependent (starting at 100 gp for level 1).

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 33 - (update 3)
Reb, half-elf F / M / T (Grond0) & Jinga, half-elf F / M / C (Gate70)

This duo progressed pretty smoothly today and have just flooded the Cloakwood mine.

They started off at the back exit to the Nashkel mine and quickly stunk out the Amazons - receiving just a couple of shots in reply.  Reb tried to fob Oublek off with a single emerald, only to find that he wouldn't play ball.  Nimbul was silenced and quickly killed, although Reb had to resort to fists when his sword broke (his find familiar scroll was used to provide a fairy dragon for Reb).  Tranzig tried to run in vain as a result of a backstab.

At the bandit camp most of the bandits outside were just shot, though Taugosz was doomed and held.  Inside, a pair of stinking clouds and a web meant only Britik was able to take any active part in the fight.

Melicamp was successfully restored before the duo moved on to Bassilus.  There was a nasty moment here when Jinga's sanctuary did not stop Bassilus from targeting him with a spell, but he saved and Bassilus didn't get another chance.  After returning his holy symbol to a grateful temple Zargal and Ardrouine provided enough XP to get Jinga to cleric level 5 - allowing skeletons to take the front row against the sirenes.  The first group was a bit troublesome as a result of the extra lag that stinking cloud induces on Gate70's machine, but were eventually killed safely.  The skeletons were left to their own devices against Sil and her companions and triumphed easily.  The golems were mainly shot with magic arrows - Reb taking the tome.

The Cloakwood encounters were effectively ignored on the way to the mine.  There, stinking cloud allowed Reb to kill the 2 mages and Genthore, but Jinga was again severely hampered by lag.  I estimate it took her 5 or 6 rounds to complete a doom spell on Drasus - eventually managing to get it off just before he became Reb's last victim.  In the mine some skeletons coaxed a lightning bolt out of Hareishan, which killed a few guards.  She did damage Jinga with a scorcher, but went down immediately afterwards and the rest of the guards were finished off easily enough.  The duo then went invisibly down to Daveorn where Reb removed the traps and Jinga sent some more skeletons after the mage.  MP issues presumably accounted for his lightning bolt killing the first skeleton and a fireball fried the second.  However, the third drew out his remaining spells allowing Reb and Jinga to quickly finish him off with magic missiles.

Stats:
Reb, F5 / M5 / T6, 55 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 163 kills
Jinga, F5 / M5 / C5, 45 HPs, 106 kills, 0 deaths

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
 Occule Half-Orc Fighter/Thief update 3:
Traveling with: Imoen, Kagain, Edwin, Jaheira and Viconia
DIfficulty: Core

Today the group begins by clearing out Mutamin's Garden then heads north to the Spider Wood where we take out Denak and his fellow mages. Next up is Larswood where we kill off Osmadi and Corsone before approaching Teven. Teven was being rather rude so we killed him along with his bandit buddies. We'll find our own way to the bandit camp thanks to Tranzig spoken to earlier in Beregost. The group stops by the Fishing Village to kill a few ankhegs and grab some quests. Once these quests are taken care of we continue in pursuit of Tazok and enter the Bandit Camp.

We raided the camp but Tazok was no where to be found. He evades us and from some notes in his tent we suspect that he is in the Cloakwood. This is where we head next. We tear through the cloakwood zones and the mines as well without much trouble. Afterwards the party searches the woodland areas for any missed bandits as we need a scalp before selling our wyvern heads in Beregost. Occule is buzzing way ahead of the party with his newly acquired boots of speed and like an idiot gets stunned by a ghoul and is in range of a couple of hobgoblin archers. The rest of the group barely makes it in time to save him. Edwin gets off a successful sleep to disable the archers and Jaheira calls down some lightning to end one of the ghouls. 

Posted Image

Such a careless death would have been quite embarrassing. Luckily Occule survived his encounter though just barely. We scoured the land for any remaining bandits but could not find even one. In the Feldpost Inn we were able to sell the wyvern heads however so all was well. With our bags lightened of excess items and gold purse buldging from the exchange we head for the city of Baldur's Gate. We acquire a number of quests in East BG and decide to pursue completing Arkion's corpse retrieval errand. At some point along the way we are poisoned by Lothander and Marek which had to be taken care of first. These tasks are completed and so are many others throughout BG. With many of the available quests done the group stops by Ulgoth's Beard before heading down to Durlag's Tower. Presently Occule is F6/T7 at about 95k xp.

Edited by WaterMane, 06 December 2013 - 01:44 AM.