16394 replies to this topic

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
Occule Half-Orc Fighter/Thief update 4 (Final update):
Traveling with: Imoen, Kagain, Edwin, Jaheira and Viconia
DIfficulty: Core

The group completes the Isle of Balduran quests without too much trouble aside from forgetting I had weapons to kill the greater wolfwere for a few minutes before cancelling a retreat from a monster I thought unkillable. 

We enter Durlag's Tower and make our way up the spiral staircase, clearing each level we arrive at with little difficulty. The basement is much the same but we have a feeling that what we've encountered so far is child's play compared to what is to come. Before descending further below the tower we decide to try and rest to refresh our spells. This was not the best idea as we were soon faced with a number of ghasts which instantly stun Edwin. Viconia's Turn Undead ability has never seen better use as it allowed for Edwin to live somehow. We plunge into the first labyrinth level of the tower through the secret door in the basement.

The first and second level are easily navigated and cleared but disaster strikes soon after entering the third. Each of the statues are poked to summon in a failed adventurer then summons of our own are cast. Everyone is buffed with haste, chant, remove fear etc. The group (more like a horde at this point) destroys the wyverns and one by one each of the statues' charm wears off. No problem or so I thought as we overwhelm each one that turns hostile. The Siren statue summon managed to land a successful confuse spell on Occule so I ran all the squishies out of sight of him. Just Hack (the Ogre) remained of the statue summons but so did the buffs we cast on him previously. I kite Hack with Kagain too closely to Occule and he peels off and begins dealing heavy damage to him. Being hasted Hack proved too much and made his saves vs. various disabling spells. Occule fell to his blows quickly and so ends his journey.

Posted Image

Edited by WaterMane, 07 December 2013 - 01:56 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck WaterMane. Sounds like you were going well up to then.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
No-Reload challenge attempt number 8 (6 starting in Amn, 2 starting in Candlekeep):

For this entry Eidolon a Half-Orc Berserker will be making an attempt at attaining godhood on Core difficulty. His weapon of choice will be the two handed sword in true berserking fashion. He'll lead a similar group to that of Occule but will be switching out Jahiera for Xan to serve as a secondary mage. I'll be using scsii v21 (thanks Serg) for this run to improve the AI of enemies a bit. When creating Eidolon I didn't have to reroll his stats at all and got a stat score of 95 so that was a nice surprise. Usually I'm not lucky nor patient enough to score stats that high! 

Posted Image

Edited by WaterMane, 08 December 2013 - 07:55 PM.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
Eidolon Half-Orc Berserker update 1:[/u]
Traveling with:[/u] Imoen, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Xan
Difficulty:[/u] Core
Mods:[/u] BG2 Tweaks, SCSII v21

Eidolon begins by picking up Imoen then heading south to recruit Kagain and Edwin. The group grabs the Ankheg plate from the field and heads north to get Viconia. Next up is to get Kagain his dex gloves but we run into a group of ogres on the way. While Kagain is kiting the ogres he agros some hobgoblin archers which quickly gun him down. 

http://s1293.photobu...b23ff.png.html]Posted Image[/URL]

After returning to Nashkel and getting Kagain revived we continue to the gnoll stronghold to off Dynaheir for Edwin. While at the stronghold we pick up the charisma tome then head north to obtain the constitution tome. The group didn't bother with trying to kill the sirines but instead Eidolon drank an oil of speed and sprinted past them as they were casting invisibility spells. On his trip returning to the group he used the group's only invisibility potion to avoid getting charmed. We headed north once more to help Shoal and retrieve a ring from a small shipwreck for Mad Arcand. To get Xan in the group we head to the Nashkel Mines which goes well. Now to the task of clearing out the woodland areas of quests and monsters.

Edited by WaterMane, 09 December 2013 - 07:50 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Good luck Watermane! Hopefully this time your aspirant won't be cut down by your own party...

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
An update of Impish Face & Co #2.

- Back to Bear River to kill some Ogre Berserkers and endure a really huge Gibberling's horde.
- Next to Dryad Falls where we dealt with Caldo & Krumm (no Girdle of Bluntness), hunted down some Winter Wolfs, helped Drienne (got scroll of Pro vs Undead from her) and found another Chainmail +1 instead of Halberd +1 in treasure cave.
- Fire Leaf Forest. Dealt with Vax & Zal (nothing special found on them and of course no Bracers of Archery), found scroll of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere instead of Cloudkill scroll, hunted (or rather haunted) a pair of angry Cave Bears (even with Faster Bears installed they are quite easy pickings as they mindlessly chase the first person they spotted ignoring the rest of the party shoot them in point blank range...) and fought Sendai & Co (Web+Stinking Cloud combo). No Studded Leather Armor +2 on Sendai but at least Long Sword +1.

Brief visit on Nashkel to sell some loot and onto Fisherman's Lake. Dealt with Bjornin's Half Ogres and *helped* Drizzt (or rather watched as he shamelessly stole our valuable exp chunking poor Gnolls quicker than we could ready our weapons). To somehow splash out our annoyance with that we engaged Teyngan & Co  feeding them with Spider's Silk (Web) mixed with some alchemist's brewery (Stinking Cloud). The loot from them was a major upgrade for Impish Face (Battle Axe +1Robe of Fire Resistance and Mirror Image scroll

Next on High Hedge to check Thalantyr's stock (no robes but at least bought Wand of Sleep, some potions and scrolls) and down to Red Canyons. Saved Melicamp from the wolf and cleared nearly the whole map (sans Bassilus for now). From Zargal looted Warhammer +1 for Viconia - now every (except Imoen) party member have some kind of magical weapon.

Current state:

Impish Face: Fighter (4) / Illusionist (3), 219 kills (Dread Wolf);
Jaheira: Fighter (4) / Druid (4), 104 kills (Ogre Berserker);
Khalid: Fighter (5), 152 kills (Mountain Bear);
Viconia: Cleric (5), 30 kills (Winter Wolf);
Dynaheir: Invoker (4), 13 kills (Dread Wolf);
Imoen: Thief (5), 115 kills (Winter Wolf), 1 revival

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 10 December 2013 - 11:56 AM.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
Edit: Post messed up, sorry for mutiple useless posts.

Edited by WaterMane, 11 December 2013 - 04:52 AM.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
Again sorry for the multiple wasted posts. I had been having trouble with my browser crashing while I was typing up an update so I was going to try and write it in word then paste it over but it did not work very well. 

Eidolon Half-Orc Berserker Update 1:
Traveling with: Imoen, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Xan
Difficulty: Core
Mods: BG2 Tweaks, SCSII v21

Eidolon begins by pick up Imoen then heads south to recruit Kagain and Edwin. The group grabs the Ankheg plate from the field and travels north to get Viconia. Next up is to get Kagain his dex gloves but we run into a group of ogres on the way. While Kagain is kiting the ogres he agros some hobgoblin archers which quickly gun him down

After returning to Nashkel and getting Kagain revived we continue to the gnoll stronghold to off Dynaheir for Edwin. While at the stronghold we pick up the charisma tome then head north to obtain the constitution tome. The group didn't bother with trying to kill the sirines but instead Eidolon drank an oil of speed and sprinted past them as they were casting invisibility spells. On his returning trip to the group he used our only potion of invisibility to avoid getting charmed. We headed north once more to gelp Shoal and retrieve a ring from a small shipwreck for Mad Arcand. To get Xan in the group we head to the Nashkel Mines which goes well. Now to the task of clearing out the woodland areas of quests and monsters. 

These areas are taken care of and the group next travels to the bandit camp. The bandit camp is cleared without any trouble and we proceed to do the same with the cloakwood areas. We enter Chapter 5 and the city of Baldur's Gate next. Here a number of quests are completed including:
  • Thieve's Guild (Niklos & Alatos, Narlen)
  • Ramazith and Ragefast
  • Brevlik's Telescope
  • Marek and Lothander's poisoning of the group
  • Trappings of Balduran
  • Scar: Seven Suns and the Ogre Mage
  • Varci Roaringhorn
  • The Bogeyman
Not many screenshots as I rushed through this section. The remaining content will be better documented. Having obtained several key magical items,
  • Ogre Strength gauntlets for Viconia
  • Balduran Helm & Cloak, and Ring of Protection +2 for Eidolon
  • Battle Axe +2 for Kagain
  • Robe of Evil Archmagi for Edwin
  • Robe of Neutral Archmagi and Ring of Wizardry for Xan
  • Eagle Bow and Shadow Armor for Imoen
the group heads to Ulgoth's Beard to clean up a few remaining quests and make final preparations for Durlag's Tower. Firstly we take up Shandalar's quest of recovering his cloak from the mage ice prison. We are teleported to the island and take out the polar bear then head inside. The first mage battle is the most difficult of the encounters in this dungeon, if you can even call them difficult but we prepared as much as we could nonetheless. Edwin still managed to get hit with a confuse spell as one of the mages teleported to him, out of range of the rest of the group and summons. The remainder of the dungeon is dealt with by sending in the skeleton summons to bash up the squishy mages while the group remained out of sight and range of several lightning bolt casts.

We return to Ulgoth's Beard and agree to obtain Balduran's log book for Mendas. Back to NE BG to snag some sea charts then we set sail for the southern Balduran Isle. After becoming shipwrecked on the island we speak to Kaishas and agree to travel to the northern Isle of Balduran to eradicate the wolfweres. On the northern island we slay our way to the old shipwreck, stopping by Dradeel's house to get his input on the situation. Next is the shipwreck itself where we encounter a good number of wolves but more importantly this zone plays my favorite battle music in BG. We make our way up the floors clearing each with little difficulty. Just before we reach the top level we pause to make battle preparations consisting of a wall of summons and appropriate spell buffs. Eidolon and Kagain peek upstairs to get the attention of the wolfweres before darting back down where we are able to surround them and begin the slaughter. Imoen dashes upstairs mid fight to grab the Sword of Balduran so that we can actually kill the greater wolfwere. I forgot about the trap here but it didn't do much damage so all was well. We proceed with the questline and arrive back at Ulgoth's Beard's port. Mendas (Selaad Gan) and Baresh are led outside, surrounded by minion fodder and slashed down.

Durlag's Tower needs conquering and a +3 two handed sword needs a new owner so thats where we head next. The upper levels were easily cleared and Riggilo tricked into trading places with Kirinhale. Plenty of traps to cautiously approach on the first labyrinth level but all that we came across were disarmed successfully. The final battle of the level began with the usual skeletal summons and spell buffs. Eidolon triggered the event and raced back to meet the group which was out of range of the initial cloud kill Avarice casts. Fear and Avarice fall in the first few seconds to consecutive blows from Eidolon, Kagain and the skeletons. In all, the fight lasted not a full minute and our mages barely had the time to cast a couple of spells.

On the second level in the Torture Chamber room I forgot where exactly the enemies spawn so I scattered skeletons and fighters about the room. They ended up spawning at the back of the room away from the more vulnerable mages. While going down ghast alley the group very nearly had to leave Durlag's tower altogether. Imoen had gotten held by a ghast hit and was moments away from death but was able to drink an invisibiltiy potion after being freed by Viconia. It's a good thing I keep a casting of Remove Paralysis handy for instances such as these. By the end of this level everyone except Imoen had reached their maximum level with Eidolon, Kagain and Viconia at lvl 8 while Xan, Edwin and Imoen were at lvl 9.

Alas we have returned to where Occule had failed, the third level of Durlag's Tower. The group makes it across the fireball room by tossing the boots of speed to the next member to carefully time their sprint. Before proceeding in the level, Eidolon requests for a moment alone with Meiala the Sirine and that the rest of the party leave the room. Eidolon's primary reason for visiting the famed tower was to avenge his dear friend Occule who fell as a result of Meiala's casting. The battle was over before Meiala could recover from Eidolon's initial blow. Meiala wasn't the only culprit in the demise of Occule as it was Hack who delivered the forever silencing blow. Eidolon set his sights on ensuring Hack met the same end. A tense stare down commenced as Hack emerged from the shadows and approached the group with menacing intent hidden behind his dire charmed demeanor. Still enraged from his battle Meiala just seconds before, it didn't take Eidolon long to begin his assault. By the time Eidolon was done all that remained of Hack was a gelatinous mess. With justice rightfully served the group heads to the garden maze next to pick up Bala's Axe for Kagain then onto the elemental challenge rooms. Once these are completed we are teleported to the chess board where we summoned minions in front of the group to attract the enemy. Greater malison + Emotion put most of them to sleep allowing for an easy victory. Eidolon picks up his Two-Handed Sword +3 and the group moves on to level 4 of the tower which will be explored at a later time. 

Edited by WaterMane, 11 December 2013 - 05:52 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
You should be able to paste from Word, but the forum tends to do nasty things to the formatting. You may find it easier to start from a more basic programme like Notepad.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
Eidolon Half-Orc berserker Update 2:
Traveling with:
Imoen, Kagain, Viconia, Edwin, Xan
Difficulty: Core
Mods: BG2 Tweaks, SCSII v21

The group resumes their travels in the fourth level of Durlag's Tower. We cruise around the pool area emptying the region of monsters and loot. Next we head up to the throne room and speak with the golems we are teleported to. After escaping the chamber we go to the forge room to grab the bone wardstone and enter the rune protected room to speak with some more statues. Now for the spider room and its statue. After all of this is taken care of we prepare to face the Demonknight. We start the fight by having both Edwin and Xan use their monster summoning wands. Just after the Demonknight finishes his dialogue (we opted for no mirror) he casts a remove magic on Kagain so I have him run out of range of the rest of the party so they're not affected. Meanwhile I have Edwin haste the newly summoned minions, Xan cast greater malison and Viconia cast Doom on the DK. The DK casts a fireball which kills all of the minion fodder nearest him but it does not matter. Eidolon alone hacks him down nearly single handedly in the end as we can see Kagain was struggling with pathing his way down to the fight. We rescue Dalton and have Islanne port us to the surface.

Upon returning to Ulgoth's Beard we are ambushed by cult members and steal the Soultaker dagger from us. Viconia was only able to cast Death Ward 4 times so we elected that it be cast on Eidolon, Kagain, Viconia and Edwin. These protected 4 descended to the basement level to face the cult and demon. Initially Viconia doomed the demon and Edwin summoned in some minion distractions while Eidolon and Kagain got to work on the surrounding cult members. Edwin managed to land a successful stun using a wand of paralyzation to make the fight quite a bit easier. The remainder of the fight was straight forward as we finished off the cult members and finally the demon. 

Now the group will return to Baldur's Gate to see what Scar had wanted to ask of us, he is waiting outside of the Flaming Fist Headquarters. Scar has introduced us to Duke Eltan who has instructed us to investigate the Iron Throne building in the docks district. We stormed up the 5 floors and quickly put an end the group waiting for us. Back to Eltan and off to Candlekeep we go. After killing a few doppelgangers we are arrested on the sixth floor of the library. From the jail we are teleported by Tethtoril to the secret library (Catacombs). On the first level of the Catacombs we loot the tome of understanding (+1 wis) and gainful exercise (+1 str). An Elminster doppelganger tried to ambush us on the second floor but he failed miserably. In the caves area Prats group put up little resistance as they fell in mere seconds. From here we emerge back at Candlekeep  and make our way to East Bg where we are arrested again. Neb helps us escape our jail cells and we discover sick Eltan upstairs in the Flaming Fist headquarters. We rush him to the harbor master in the docks. While in the docks we head up the floors of the Iron Throne to acquire Sarevok's diary. From here we travel to to the sewers then to the undercellars where we are met by Slythe and company who try to kill us. They fail and we are able to obtain an invitation to the Duchal Palace. 

Before storming into the meeting room in the Duchal Palace we make some battle preparations to ensure that the two Dukes survive the upcoming fight. I position the casters/ranged weapon users in the back of the room so they're ready to fire off some spells. The summons are scattered in the crowd to draw some initial agro. After the dialogue is finished Xan and Edwin cast greater malison and emotion which does the trick for the most part leaving just a couple of doppelgangers still functioning. Viconia rushed in pretty close to cast chant but the battle was just about over by the time she finished her spell. Next stop is the Thieves Maze. After safely navigating the maze we arrive at the Undercity. First off I have Edwin go invis so he can scope out the hostile party waiting for us. After all of our buffs are cast I position our casters (all invisible) so they're ready to let loose at the start of battle. The skeletons rush in first followed by Eidolon and Kagain. Edwin, Xan and Viconia begin casting greater malison, emotion and silence respectively. Edwin is hit with an arrow and interrupted but Xan and Viconia get their spells off. At this point all the enemies are either dead or completely disabled and the battle is decided. We take out Tamoko as it is clear which side she is on. Here we pause a moment to think about how we will approach the showdown with Sarevok. 

Inside the Temple of Bhaal I was trying to pull one of Sarevok's lackeys but Sarevok himself came charging forward and initiated dialogue. I had Imoen retreat to the buffed party but she was followed by a remove magic. I quickly swapped out her boots with Eidolon's boots of speed so she could lead the spell away. Sarevok may have rushed the group seemingly alone but the mages soon followed so we focused on killing Sarevok where he stood and ignored the other enemies. It wasn't a pretty victory but we won! Xan ended up dying half a second after this shot. Rested to get rid of buffs for Record screenshot.

Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Good stuff WaterMane. Best of luck in Amn.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 33 - (4th and final update)
Reb, half-elf F / M / T (Grond0) & Jinga, half-elf F / M / C (Gate70)

This duo managed to make their way through the Sword Coast, though they had a bit of a scare at the palace.

After flooding the mine last time they made their way to the City and collected a few tomes. They also struggled a bit to deal with Drelik on the way to getting the Helm of Glory - Jinga was scared by an opening spell and Reb had to run out of the house due to taking lots of magic missiles before eventually returning when Jinga had come to his senses.  The other item acquired was the Cloak of Balduran; there was a slight glitch on the way to that when Gate70's ranged script kicked in at the start of a session and Jinga tried to attack Degrodel - but Gate70 managed to react in time to stop her.  Reb got in a rare backstab against Ramazith.

After sneaking into the Iron Throne the duo were sent to Candlekeep.  Reb's thief skills made robbing the tombs easy before going past the dopplegangers invisibly.  Stinking cloud and skeletons helped deal with Prat's party on the way out, though Reb did have to dig out a potion to throw to Jinga to deal with poison from an intruding phase spider.  Before going back to the City Durlag's Tower was briefly visited to pick up the last tome.

Slythe caused no problems, although the game did crash as a result of the dialogue when resting to get a second DUHM Bhaal power.  Even with both characters controlled by me in a reload it crashed again, so we had to get past that bit with Gate70 offline.

On to the palace where again I felt a bit caught out.  Previous experience would suggest that our 2 characters should find that fight reasonably easy, but most of that experience was in BGT and I suspect that Duke Belt is considerably tougher in that.  Things looked very dodgy when Belt died with 3 dopplegangers still alive, although one of them went down at almost the same time.  Jinga tried putting invisibility on Liia, but by the time that was cast the remaining dopplegangers were dead anyway.

Some skeletons helped out a bit in the maze and combined again with stinking cloud for the Undercity party. Unfortunately lag there meant that Gate70 was unable to make them do anything there and the duo had to work hard to deal with the remaining enemies after the cloud expired.

Inside the palace Sarevok was brought out with a dispelling arrow.  Semaj teleported out in support, but was dispelled himself and didn't last long.  Rather oddly Reb triggered both stinking cloud and web traps - these were scripted rather than laid traps, apparently triggered by proximity between Sarevok and Reb even though nowhere near his starting position.  However, the traps didn't do Sarevok any favours as he got stuck for a round or so in the web.  With the low HPs he has in BGEE that meant he died almost immediately after struggling out of the web.

Stats:
Reb, F6 / M6 / T7, 68 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar, 5 from Helm), 187 kills
Jinga, F6 / M6 / C6, 53 HPs, 129 kills, 0 deaths

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well done, guys! Safe travels in Amn!

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts
My new PC, Ivanhoe of Candlekeep, for the No Reload Challenge. My last PC got thru the assassins Tarnish, Karlat & Neira, killed Silke, rescued Dynahier & made it thru the Nashkel Mines before falling in battle against the half-orc, Mulahay. 

For me, that was great but I hope to do better this time. 

This PC is based upon Wilfred of Ivanhoe, from the novel, Ivanhoe. I love that novel b/c it incorporates the historical figures King Richard the Lion heart w/ the legendary Robin Hood & his Merry Men & a great protagonist. It is historical in that it teaches the reader a little something about English medieval history also, especially about the dislike between Saxons and Normans. 

I’ve tried to make this PC similar to the character Ivanhoe. I went thru the whole book last night using Alt/F to find the kinds of weapons, i.e., Sword (I chose Bastard based on a pic I have), Axe, and Spear, that Ivanhoe uses during the story. I used medium & small pictures from a 1982 TV miniseries & chose colors from those same TV stills. 

So here he is. I rolled six or seven times to get the stats I have for him & set the minimum stats cheat @ 13. I used that # b/c I was reading thru the old TSR Deities & Demigods Manual in the section about Arthurian Heroes. There it said, an Arthurian Knight of Quality would never have ability scores less than 13 & would average 15-16. I think of Ivanhoe as that type hero. As a twist to the biography, I’ll draw loosely from the novel and it will read…

Ivanhoe was raised in the hallowed halls of knowledge called Candlekeep on the Sword Coast overlooking the Sea of Swords. He spent most of his 20 years of life within this keep's austere walls, under the tutelage of the sage Gorion, a minor nobleman w/o ties to either Amn or Baldur’s Gate.  Being secluded as he was, he knew little of the prejudice that persist between the peoples of The Kingdom of Amn and those of Baldur’s Gate. Ivanhoe trained as a knight by the Watchers of Candlekeep & studied prophesy under its learned monks. Gorion raised Balian on tales of heroes & monsters, lovers & infidels, battles & tragedies. However, one story was always left untold: that of his true heritage.

Posted Image

Key EventGorion urges Ivanhoe to hurriedly prepare for a journey, but will not say to where

Treasure of Note: 199 GPs (120 GPs from Gorion and 79 GPs earned)

Posted Image

Current Disposition: Preparing to purchase supplies and say good-byes to those in Candlekeep

Next Steps:
Go to Gorion

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 11 - Average)
Ivanhoe: Ftr/1

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 14 December 2013 - 11:16 PM.

• Members
  • 981 posts
Posted Image

TARNESH WINS!!!

Oh well, that was quick. 

Darn sleep spell gets us nearly every time. As a fighter and a Thief, Imoen and I are lucky to avoid the spell.  If we can, we can win but 9 times in 10. 

I had high hopes for Ivanhoe. 

Darn, darn, darn, darn!!! 

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts
 @CKT

Yikes did Tarnesh open up with the sleep spell? 

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck CKT. Are you going to restart him? If you don't want to use fore-knowledge to protect your PC, then what about playing routinely with an advanced scout / bannerman? Tarnesh is considerably less dangerous if you have a chance to separate your party to minimise the effect of his AoE spells.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sext - half-orc barbarian (update 1)

After having disposed of my Wrecking Crew party I thought it was perhaps time to have another solo go using my basic BGT installation.

I started with a picture of a barbarian that couldn't easily be rationalized as a dwarf or halfling so this one will have to be a bit more careful about avoiding spells than my typical effort.

Posted Image

• Members
  • 981 posts

WaterMane wrote...

@CKT

Yikes did Tarnesh open up with the sleep spell? 

Yup.

Didn't even cast the Mirror Image.  Tarnesh immediately cast a Sleep spell @ the bottom of the stairs & took out all four members of the party & it was party over.  Then he just cast what seemed like at least 3 MMs he had memorized & beat us w/his Q/staff. 

Ever since I installed SCS w/Smarter Mages & Clerics option, I've been having an even tougher time....& that's saying something.  That's one of the reasons I've been letting Montaron  & Xzar join for a few days early on.  can't stand evil in my party but the enemy of my enemy can be my friend temporarily. 

CKT

• Members
  • 981 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Hard luck CKT. Are you going to restart him? If you don't want to use fore-knowledge to protect your PC, then what about playing routinely with an advanced scout / bannerman? Tarnesh is considerably less dangerous if you have a chance to separate your party to minimise the effect of his AoE spells.

Thanks.  Yes, it's all about not using foreknowledge for me. 

I always think about the fact that we'd kinda be 'lettin' our hair down' a bit arriving at the inn so I hit the stairs sorta happy go lucky, knowing in reality that Tarnesh is waiting. 

Might have to start using the 'advance thief, in scout mode all the time to avoid that kinda stuff.  I did that for a while in the wilderness and dungeons but not in urban areas. 

Also, thinking about a Cavalier again.  That'll take care of that too.

CKT

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sext - half-orc barbarian (update 2)

Sext has made decent early progress via Shoal, Beregost, FAI, Nashkel and the Cloudpeaks.  He's defeated Mulahey and just one-shotted Nimbul through his mirrors (that seems to happen an awful lot for some reason).

He's done pretty much all the encounters in those areas and is just shy of level 6.  The only dodgy fight so far was against Silke, who managed to get a lightning bolt away just as she died - the return bounce coming too close to Sext for comfort.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sext - half-orc barbarian (update 3)

Tranzig spilled his guts and Sext read the location of the bandit camp in the entrails.  Wearing Nimbul's boots and the ogre belt he shot up the bandits there, though switched belts to pummel Taugosz into submission.  In the main tent Venkt failed to cast a spell under a dual-weapon assault, but Hakt and Raemon got several lucky shots so that Sext took a bit more damage than I expected and reverted to his bow to finish Britik off.

I was trying to avoid using any protection in the Cloakwood, but the trap near the ettercaps there has a nasty habit of only triggering after the 4th ettercap spawns (even if you don't move at all).  As a result Sext used his first potion (invisibility).  At the mine Sext tried his new Bhaal horror ability, but without success and resorted to running away off the map.  On his return, horror successfully separated Drasus and he was dealt with before Sext made a frontal assault on the others.

In the mine I wanted to try and bypass Hareishan, but she came to investigate the death of a guard.  Fortunately Sext was able to interrupt her first spell and she didn't get another chance. After fighting through various guards Sext made it down to Daveorn's level.  He struggled to kill the first battle horror, but the second was far easier and got him to L7. A potion of magic blocking and a follow-up rage accounted for Daveorn.

With another Bhaal horror in the bag Sext rapidly did a number of reputation quests to get that up to 17.  A few other encounters were done on the way, such as Bassilus and getting the tomes from the pirate cave and Durlag's Tower.  I wasn't planning to buy anything, which was fortunate after this mis-click!

Edited by Grond0, 16 December 2013 - 04:41 AM.

WaterMane

WaterMane
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Grond0 wrote...

I wasn't planning to buy anything, which was fortunate after this mis-click!

One might say that mistake was rather...costly.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sext - half-orc barbarian (4th and final update)

Meilum donated his bracers.  At the basilisk area Sext attacked the party, though left the basilisks for once (doesn't need the XP).

Moving on to the City Sext picked up the tomes, Eagle Bow and Helm of Balduran.  He ran in and out of the Iron Throne while raged before reporting to Duke Eltan.  Back at Candlekeep Sext looted the tombs (not requiring a strength potion thanks to rage / DUHM) before taking a potion of invisibility to leave.

Back in Baldur's Gate Sext stocked up on ammunition before heading for Slythe.  After beating him down Sext persuaded Krystin to cloudkill Quenash for him to take the Cloak of Balduran.  Moving on to the palace Sext used a potion of speed along with DUHM and rage - the latter lasted long enough to see off the active opposition.

He slaughtered his way through the maze, using a potion of absorption to defend against the lightning trap.  Then took the long way round to avoid the party on the way to the temple.  Inside, he pulled out Sarevok with an arrow of dispelling.  After running round for a bit to check that no-one was coming to support him, Sext went invisible and buffed up for a melee exchange - that proved just sufficient to see off the big man.
Posted Image

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Congratulations, Grond0! Well (and quick as usual) done. Good hunting in Amn!

Impish Face & Co are not that swift as you may presume but we made some progress as well:

- Melicamp was revived a second time in my no-reload career and we fought a trio of improved  Giant Spiders which  nearly cost Jaheira of her life. Fortunately Viconia was quick enough with her Slow Poison and the rest of us with our attacks so we dealt with them before something dire could happened.
- Our next desination was Archaeological Site where we fought  Ba'ruk and his Kobold Commandos, found a Composite Long Bow +1 in the ancient tomb and as a result had to fought a Doomsayer. Khalid's +1 arrows are useless vs him so we hit with all possible Magic Missiles spells from Impish Face an Dynaheir (seven in total), 6 or 7 Wand of MM wand (burned it entirely) and finished him with the  last and only scroll of LMD. Brage was our free ticket back to Nashkel and from there we headed to the Lonely Peaks.
- Saved Hulrik's cow there, fought Arghain,  Ioin and his group (got Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy from them), looted Wand of Lightning from the pack of Kobolds and killed some Ogres. Imoen hit level 6 here (100 in traps/locks) and was dualed to Mage.
- Defeated Greywolf pretty easily (Blindness>Hold Person) and looted a *simple* Long Sword +1 from him.
- Running Pro vs Undeads looted Wand of Fire (used it immediately on trio of Ghasts) and Short Bow +1 in the Valley of the Tombs. 
- Samuel is still alive so delivered him to FAI.
- Back to the Coast. Cheerful Imoen fell vs Shoal's charms, Droth was intoxicated and blinded but instead of Helm of Defence we got a scroll of Cloudkill from him. Fought a pack of Ogres and some Sirines.
- Down to Lighthouse area. Yet more Sirines here and pretty nice loot in Black Alaric's Cave (Amulet of Metaspell Influence, Warhammer +2 Ashideena and Morning Star +1). Didn't got a single Tome as of yet though...:crying:
- Time to deal with Bassilus to see what he got instead of Ashideena. Surrounded him with Skellies as he is quite fond of their company then Stinking Cloud > Silence > Blindness and Hold Person on top of that. He had used a Wand of Heavens on my skelly once but that was the only his offencive move before he fell. Looted Wand of Heavens (39 charges) and Sling +1 from him.
- Made a Beregost Temple area a bit safer hunting down some wolfs.
- Made a tour to the infamous Mutamin's Garden. Invisible Imoen scouted the area with Khalid shooting basilisks. Then joined with Korax and made a rendezvous with Mutamin himself (got Ring of Fire Resistance and Amulet of Protection +1). Engaged Kirian party (silenced her) and then fried'em down. The loot is pretty insignificant for the moment.
- And finally the most interesting area in my new setup at the moment - improved Ulcaster. That was a ... fun to say the least. Icharyd wasn't seemed like a threat at first. Just until he called his God - the time itself has shifted strangely, all our buffs were stripped and he began to spam a Call Lightning every now and then hitting like a truck in-between. Fortunately we had a couple of Potions of Absorption and buffed with it and Potion of Giant Strenght Impish Face dealt with Icharyd just by himself.
Then was the Wolf of Ulcaster. We had anticipated his horrific howl (so were protected with Resist Fear) but we were not aware of his other abilities so were forced to retreat to the surface fighting a hordes of Dire/Dread Wolfs and Ghasts en-route. Rested and refreshed our spells we made ​​a second attempt. All the area was re-populated again so it took some time to clean it and then Khalid lured the Wolf of Ulcaster to the room where a pack of out skellies awaited him. They were useless in terms of damaging the Wolf but at least they served as a shield between him and us. Dynaheir blinded him and hit with some MM, Khalid shoot with Arrows +1 and Jaheira spammed Wand of Heavens. Right in the middle of the fight our Resist Fear expired and the following houl disabled just ... both Khalid and Jaheira - the only Crew members who could hurt him at all. Fourtunately our skelies held the Wolf long enough for them to recover and finally finish him! The Cloak of Protection +2 in his hoard was our well earned reward.

The Crew just arrived to the Gullykin village.

Current state (inventory and record):

Impish Face: Fighter (5) / Illusionist (5), 353 kills (Revenant);
Jaheira: Fighter (5) / Druid (6), 198 kills (Wolf of Ulcaster);
Khalid: Fighter (6), 371 kills (Greater Basilisk);
Viconia: Cleric (6), 73 kills (Mustard Jelly);
Dynaheir: Invoker (6), 29 kills (Doomsayer);
Imoen: Thief (6) / Mage (5), 123 kills (Winter Wolf), 2 revival

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 16 December 2013 - 11:29 AM.