Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Carthusian XI.
Thalantyr pockets the gold as Carthusian buys everything of interest (3 healers, 3 regeneration, 1 freedom) and heads into Cloakwood. Drasus has collected some friends at the entrance to a hidden mine so Carthusian hands them an oil of fiery burning followed by 2 charges of the missile necklace. Both mages are dead so Carthusian treats Drasus to venom and does the same to Genthore before returning for a store visit.

Carthusian heads straight to the bottom of the mine after freeing the slaves and Yeslick. The two battle horrors are dragged upstairs and killed before a greenstone amulet charge sees Davaeorn waste several debilitating spells. An ogre summon provides him with a brief respite but Carthusian doesn't take too long to poison it into submission and set to work on various mirror images.

Davaeorn is left floating with the fishes as Carthusian heads into the city of Baldur's Gate.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Carthusian has grabbed all the tomes and gear he requires. Slythe proved risky, the doppelgangers at the coronation had to be dragged upstairs too. He's just entered the thieves maze having equipped himself and glugged various potions.
Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sal - elf wild mage (3rd and final update)

In the City Sal picked up the tomes as normal - Ramazith scorched, Jalantha paralysed and Marek ogred.  In addition she acquired the gauntlets of ogre power (with the aim of avoiding having to use a knock spell on Ramazith's tower) - that also got her to level 9.  However, I had forgotten that mages can't use the gauntlets so the spell got cast anyway.

After investigating the Iron Throne invisibly Sal was sent back to Candlekeep.  With more HPs I would have used the violet potion to break open the tombs there, but the spike traps mean the loss of constitution would probably be fatal to Sal.  Instead, she used a green scroll of protection from magic and knocked them with spell scrolls - I'm not sure whether the green scroll would protect her against spell surges directed at her, but none occurred anyway.  Another green scroll allowed her to teach the basilisks a lesson on the way out.

On the way back to the City she stopped at High Hedge and bought the Robe of the Good Archmagi since she had plenty of money.  She also tried to learn a monster summoning II scroll from the tombs, but failed (for the third time with that spell).  That's annoying since monster summoning spells might be expected to feature prominently in Irenicus' dungeon.

Some summons wore Slythe down for a scorching finish and Sal moved on to the palace.  She thought she glimpsed a racing monk out of the corner of her eye, but if it was Carthusian he had already gone before she turned round.  At the palace she put the familiar in her backpack before engaging.  She managed to stop 2 of the dopplegangers with her wand of paralysation in the first 2 rounds, but despite being potioned up her shooting was terrible and she didn't get any with darts of stunning before Liia died.  At that point I thought it was too dangerous to stay downstairs and dragged 5 surviving dopplegangers upstairs to finish things off without further trouble.

She went through the maze invisible, using a green scroll to trigger all the traps.  The scroll also protected her as she used the fire wand and darts on the Undercity party before moving into the temple.  There was nothing fancy there - the wand of magic missiles was used to persuade Sarevok to come out on his own before that alternated with wand of monster summoning and darts.  However, Sarevok did pretty well and survived all those, along with a succession of wand scorchers while Sal ran rings round him.  He couldn't though survive a series of blasts from the wand of frost.

Sal reported in to Duke Belt and has now arrived in prison.  She completed BG1 without triggering any wild surges.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Nicely done.

Carthusian cleared the thieves maze without issue, using his fire and electricity resistances to help deal witha pair of skeleton warriors. Rahvin and co stood clueless as Carthusian piled into the temple.

Another messy start with everybody appearing to activate. Carthusian retreated and used a PfM scroll so lost a heap of buffs. He then dragged Angelo and Sarevok out, hid and returned to talk to bats. This lured Semaj and Tazok out of hiding and once done Carthusian hid again to buff.

Semaj and Tazok first, only Angelo decides to join in. Tazok chunks first, quickly followed by Angelo then Semaj. A potion of power is added for more clout and then Sarevok is treated to a game of statue fisticuffs with the odd swirly leg added for kicks. & Sarevok is down.

On the way back to Belt Carthusuan introduces himself to Wudei and hides as an exploding arrow detonates. Haseo has followed so is kicked to the ground while in-fighting has seen two of the gang killed. Carthusian tidies up the loose ends, taking a minute or so to track down the huge ogre.

64hp, level 8.

& has just stunned Illyich then the cambion so hoping to break out of prison soon.

Arbitorius

Arbitorius
  • Members
  • 40 posts
I decided to recreate my very first character and replay the game

Name: Snow
Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Dagger: ++

I start off in Candlekeep by looting everything of value in the Inn, including the star sapphire using my 65 lock pick, and selling it to Puffguts. Within the first 2 minutes of the game, I have over 1000 gold coins.

I quickly buy myself a suit of studded leather armor, a dagger, and 20 throwing daggers and start completing all the side quests in Candlekeep for that awesome starting XP.

I managed to pick the lock in the apothacary's room and steal that second healing potion, as well as return Firebead's scroll, so now within 10 minutes, I have over 1000 gold and 3 healing potions. Also, one of the Watcher's asked me to fetch some bolts for his crossbow and he gave me a magical dagger

--------

After Gorion was killed, Imoen came after me, but I politely told her to go home, fearing for her safety (but not before I took the healing potions, oil of speed, and wand of missiles off of her).

I then proceeded to explore the woods a bit, killing a wolf and 3 diseased gibberlings along the way

I ran into Xzar and Montaron, and sneakily took their potions, scrolls and oil of speed, and proceeded down the road

In the next area, I ran into Elminster, who asked me about my disposition and mentality. I told him I was a fair bit desperate, and he told me to head to the friendly arm in.

However, not ready to head there yet, I went south, to Baregost, where I proceeded to break into every house and steal everything of value, and got into an argument with a man at the tavern, who I was able to talk down instead of kill.

I next wandered over to the north east side of town and rescued a pretty young wild mage named Neera, and agreed to let her follow me around. After spending some gold on getting my magical dagger identified at the smithy, and buying a +1 sling and a bunch of sling bullets, we headed north to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Along the way, we encountered an Ogre. Neera managed to put it to sleep, as well as the nearby xart, and I quickly finished both off with my new knife while they slept.

Once we reached the Friendly Arm Inn, I ran into a woman asking me to retrieve her ring, a family heirloom. I agreed, even though there would be no reward...I guess fighting Hobgoblins was enough reward for me.

Me and Neera circled around the inn's walls, slaying 7 hobgoblins without Neera even casting a single spell, and retrieved the ring

After retrieving the ring, I figured it was time for some rest, so we headed toward the inn, only to be stopped by a hostile mage, who we quickly killed before he could get off a single spell.

Once inside the inn, I stole some more ****, returned a magical belt to a gnome upstairs, nicked the golden pantaloons off of a noble upstairs...but decided to give them back for some XP (I don't care much for the metal suit thing).

Last thing we did was bump into a particularly nasty half orc, who rudely told me off after I wouldn't bring him anymore Ale.

And away we went! headed south towards Nashkel to figure out the iron crisis. Along the way, we were assailed by bandits, only to be assisted by the very same rude half orc back at the Friendly Arm. He seemed a capable fighter, so I allowed him to join with me.

Once in Nashkel, we managed to dig up the ankheg plate armor for Dorn, solve the Iron Crisis, return a ring to a grieving wife (for xp!!), and find the missing emeralds (which I sold to the shop keeper instead of returning).

And again, we moved on, this time to visit Thalantyr

The journey shall continue soon

Arbitorius

Arbitorius
  • Members
  • 40 posts
Aaaand we all just died from zombies. lol

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Gate70: a belated grats on that successful run you had last page.
@Arbitorius - sorry to hear that. Really though, anything can get ya if you make a mistake. An easy to make mistake in Tutu - having range weapon equipped when someone attacking you in melee - +4 to hit and damage! Can easily turn what would have been a survivable hit into dead.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts
Sometimes these worthless servants of mine just irritate me. Would it be that I could do w/o them but, alas, they’re useful at times. I led them south west to a Xvart Village where we massacred some 60 odd Xvarts in two days w/ease. I’m beginning to stand back & let my servants do the light work, stepping in when I’m needed to get them out of a pinch, or when I get tired of waiting on them to defeat my enemies.

Posted Image
Tough Mage was not tough enough!

Key EventThere was a challenging fight against a Mage who tried to sell me some cheap potions & scrolls west of the Xvart Village. I took offense @ his obvious ill-intent toward me & threatened him. He took offense, & we fought. He actually killed Xan & scarred up the others but my followers finally backed him into a cliff where he had nowhere to go but down. I joined in to help them keep him pinned in & his spells protections wore off. Suddenly, the hits started landing & then he was short work. He came w/a few good potions & scrolls & some that weren’t so much.

After a break to sell out booty & rest, I took the servants to an Archaeological Site also south & west of Beregost. There I found a former Captain of the Guard of Nashkel that had flipped his lid. I carried out justice for the town & carried his body back to Nalin @ the Temple of Helm (that place doesn’t give me hives like the Temple of the Morning w/that phony Keldath Ormlyr does). Nalin made good on the bounty the town was offering for this guy Brage. That’s what I’d been hoping. 

I led the underlings back & we found the actual archaeological dig. After speaking w/the head of the expedition, a Charleston Nib, we were approached by a second man who offered us 900gp to get rid of Nib & the other workers he’d hired. It worked out well enough early on, b/c when we went into the excavations we found what Nib thought to be a shaman’s room. As soon as we got in there, the workers went mad anyway & attacked. While offing them, I had Viconia cast Animate Dead amidst the confusion & target he Skeleton’s on Nib. Once again though, my reputation has taken a hit, a massive one although it can’t get much worse. I guess the guy we made the deal w/crossed us when he got back to civilization &, as a result, I raised Xan only to have him leave the party when he found out what happened. Talk about a waste of 800gps. Now I’m screwed. Why didn’t I keep the Necromancer…oh yeah, he was Chaotic Evil & couldn’t be trusted. I knew it couldn’t be my fault. 

Treasure of Note: Cursed Sword of Berserking (sold); Short Sword +1 (Montaron); Many scrolls including Magic Missile (Garrick);

Current Disposition: Resting @ the ref Sheaf

Next Steps:
Fisherman's Lake; then Lonely Peaks East of Beregost

Level Up: Xan to Magician (Mage-Enchanter/6) & has two 3rd Level Spells he can memorize. Unfortunately, the slug doesn’t have any in his spellbook. Montaron to Killer (Assassin/6);

Current Party: (Reputation: 3 - Despised)
Gerald Front-de-Boeuf: Ftr (Blk Gd)/5, Plate Mail w/LShield**, Flail**. BSwd*
Viconia: Cleric/5, SpMail w/SShld, Mace*, Sling*, WHmr*
Kagain: Ftr (Bkr)/5 Splint Mail, BAxe***, ThAxe***, (2WS**)
Montaron: Asn/6 Studded Leather, ShSwd*, Dgr*, T/Knives*, (SWS*)
Garrick: Bard/6 w/ Hvy C/Bow* & ShSwd* (SWS*)
Xan: Mage (Ench/5),L/Swd

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 28 January 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Matuse

Matuse
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Aaaand we all just died from zombies. lol

Those were probably ghouls or ghasts, and not zombies. Zombies are...not very threatening. Ghouls and ghasts on the other hand are lethal if they paralyze you.

My default position in BG is that my guys will always fail every save, and monsters will make every save. This influences every fight in which a save is an issue. In this case, I never...EVER...get into melee with ghouls and ghasts.

• Members
  • 981 posts
Front-de-Boeuf led his servants to Fisherman’s Lake for what promised to be an easy stroll. Instead, they were ambushed by two Ogre berserkers @ night while trying to rest & while the battle was raging some Gnolls stumbled on the party & started helping the Ogre Berserkers. Front-de-Boeuf couldn't land a blow to save him.  Kagain & Viconia & finally, Montaron fell & finally Front-de-Boeuf knew chances of killing the last Ogre Berserker were slim so he headed begrudgingly back to Beregost.

Posted Image

Key EventAfter the battle @ Fisherman’s Lake, Gerald Front-de-Boeuf hobbled back to Beregost w/only his newest mage, Quayle, in tow. However, after a rest, Front-de-Boeuf was suddenly challenged & surrounded by Flaming Fists. Quayle quickly fell leaving Front-de-Boeuf alone versus three FFs. After taking some hard hits, Front-de-Boeuf tried to retrograde up the stairs but an FF chased his up there and killed him in the Common Room of the Red Sheaf. 

Posted Image

Treasure of Note: None, some gems had been recovered but after Kagain & Viconia & finally, Montaron fell, just getting their armor & weapons back became the priority.

Current Disposition: Deceased

Next Steps:
Could go on to Minimal Reload Challenge but it’s not likely anyone would raise this guy

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 1 - Despised)
Gerald Front-de-Boeuf: Ftr (Blk Gd)/5, Plate Mail w/LShield**, Flail**. BSwd*
Viconia: Cleric/5, SpMail w/SShld, Mace*, Sling*, WHmr*
Kagain: Ftr (Bkr)/5 Splint Mail, BAxe***, ThAxe***, (2WS**)
Montaron: Asn/6 Studded Leather, ShSwd*, Dgr*, T/Knives*, (SWS*)
Garrick: Bard/6 w/ Hvy C/Bow* & ShSwd* (SWS*)
Xan: Mage (Ench/5),L/Swd

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 28 January 2014 - 03:04 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sorry to hear that CKT. It sounded as though you did pretty well to last that long though - completing the game the evil way is pretty much impossible unless you're prepared to make lots of donations at temples.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Sorry to hear that CKT - to echo Grond0's sentiment, bounty hunters/flaming fist enforcers start hunting you down in city areas once your reputation gets to 3 - so if that ever happens it's prudent to donate at a temple ASAP to get it a bit higher so you won't become "most wanted" so to speak.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 35 - (update 1)
Leila, half-elf avenger (Grond0) & Daphne, human ranger (Gate70)

After an early finish to our MP run in Spellhold we generated new characters.  Initially I had a dark moon monk and Gate70 a conjuror.  However, progress was laggy and after Gate's character had been killed while in a conversation we agreed to keep that duo for later and started another set - with a few more HPs for Gate70.

The ranger's bow has been particularly effective so far.  Leila has helped out in some encounters by laying down webs to trap the opposition.

Progress has included Shoal, Beregost, Nashkel, Meilum, Cloudpeaks & Greywolf.  The duo have just finished clearing out the basilisk area.  Kirian's party were stuck in several webs - Baerin was the only one to break free momentarily and he just got a single shot off.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Stats:
Leila, avenger 6, 44 HPs, 31 kills
Daphne, ranger 5, 52 HPs, 76 kills, 0 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Best of luck guys (Gate70 & Grond0) - er, or should I say girls?

• Members
  • 981 posts
Thanks guys. I had fun playing this PC & I think I’ll make another run @ it. 
I learned a lot that I didn’t know, since I’ve never played an evil PC.
I knew vaguely about the ‘reputation traps’ but remembered quickly the other night after it was too late. 
One thing that I did poorly was that I didn’t play Lawful Evil well. Had I done so, I likely would not have had to worry about the ‘reputation traps.’ 
Lawful Evil believes in definitive order & that a strict hierarchical chain of command helps to maintain that order. The rules, or laws, that govern that order are to be followed to the letter…but where they can the Lawful Evil character uses the letter of the law to their advantage. Lawful Evil characters are diabolical in their evil. They are cruel to the core and inflicting misery or torture are sources of entertainment & pleasure for the lawful Evil character. But they are cool & calculating & will bide their time if 'revenge' is necessary for a perceived slight. However, their pride can sometimes lead to their fall.  Still, unlike Chaotic Evil, their evil is not of the Bull in the China Shop variety. 

Here's my question to Gate70, Cory_Russell & Grond0 et al.  Would you mind, if I play the new PC in this forum first?  He will be an all new character but I'll use the same pic & same name.  I'll roll new stats & make up a slightly different back story but it won't be a reload since I will start over from C/keep.  I'd like to play over here but if ya'll think that's inappropriate, I'll start him again in the MRC. 

I just really like the character idea & want to try again w/a little more experience playing LE. 

CKT

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 35 - (update 2)

This pairing has continued to make good progress and has arrived in the City without any deaths so far.

Things started with an assault on Bassilus.  Daphne played target and was held at the second attempt, but Bassilus was put to near death by a call lightning and died before he could inflict much damage.

The next significant target was the sirines in the lighthouse area.  Daphne used the potion of clarity from Candlekeep to protect against their charm and confusion attacks and killed them without much fuss.  The golems in the cave were shot with arrows of biting thoughtfully provided by the sirines.

Various reputation quests were then done on the way north, so that reputation reached 20 by the time the duo reached Ulgoth's Beard.  Then they retraced their steps south to the Nashkel mine.  Mulahey was badly outclassed there, but no chances were taken and he died in a web.  The same fate befell the Amazons outside the back door to the mine.

Leila forgot that Nimbul was waiting, but that just provided her with a good opportunity to show off her new improved invisibility spell before a nymph confused Nimbul.  Daphne led the way via Tranzig to the bandit camp and meleed most of the bandits there, though Leila helped out with a couple of call lightnings on Taugosz.  Daphne attempted to sneak to the back of the main tent, but was spotted - helpfully, only Raemon and Venkt chased her back outside, allowing the duo to divide and conquer.

There was a slight hiccup going through the Cloakwood when Daphne got stuck in a web trap in sight of the final ettercap.  Fortunately she saved against poison and was able to break free while only lightly injured.  At the mine more webs made disposal of Drasus and his gang easy before the duo sneaked past Hareishan down to Daveorn.  The battle horrors were killed with the help of the wand of heavens before Daphne rushed Daveorn under the influence of potions of frost giant strength, speed and invulnerability - finishing him off with a vicious off-hand slice.

In Baldur's Gate they have picked up the tome of dexterity and relieved Jalantha of the tome of wisdom.  They've also acquired the gauntlets of ogre power for Leila and sneaked in to investigate the Iron Throne.

Stats:
Leila, avenger 8, 61 HPs, 93 kills
Daphne, ranger 6, 70 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 212 kills, 0 deaths

Edited by Grond0, 01 February 2014 - 07:12 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Charlestonian Knight Templar wrote...
Here's my question to Gate70, Cory_Russell & Grond0 et al.  Would you mind, if I play the new PC in this forum first?

That's absolutely fine.  I've often restarted characters from Candlekeep when they've failed to meet a particular target I had in mind.  I hope you'll be able to make it all the way through this time.

Matuse

Matuse
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Here's my question to Gate70, Cory_Russell & Grond0 et al. Would you mind, if I play the new PC in this forum first? He will be an all new character but I'll use the same pic & same name. I'll roll new stats & make up a slightly different back story but it won't be a reload since I will start over from C/keep.

There's no rule that says you can't play the same character. Personally, when I start a new No Reload attempt, I'll put an archive save at the first area past Gorion's death right after you bump into Elminster. Everything prior to that is just annoying tedium with no chance at all of dying, so I'll "start over" from there when things go pear-shaped.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Well done to get that far. You really should continue in the minimal reloads (but I know you won't)

Why continue when it's so much easier to restart!?  That will also make the point from previous posts about having another go with the same character.

Sal {2} - elf wild mage (update 1)

With this version of Sal I'm  looking to make considerably faster progress - that will partly be by missing out more encounters (particularly in BG2) and partly by not bothering to pick up most items or pack inventory (I carried loads of scrolls around last time, but don't remember using a single one).

Before fighting a single battle Sal had picked up the ring of wizardry, ankheg armour, wand of frost, wand of monster summoning and necklace of missiles.  Using frost and fire she killed Meilum for his bracers.  Then moved on to the basilisk area and cleared that - up to level 5.

A few encounters while collecting fire resistance potion, robe and ring and she sneaked into Ulcaster ruins to loot that.  Equipped with the wand of fire from there she went to the Lighthouse area.  A single set of ogres helped with both lots of sirines while darts +1 saw off the flesh golems (though she did get hit once when a bat got in her way, which could have been fatal if it was a critical) - level 7. 

Did a few reputation quests and then sneaked down to kill Mulahey with a first use of wand of paralysation.  The Amazons had no answer to long-distance fireballs.  Nimbul was nibbled by the familiar and Tranzig fireballed on the way to the bandit camp.  A fireball cast in synchrony with invisibility 10' set up a wand scorcher that killed everyone except Hakt and he soon fell to darts.

Sal recharged her wand of fire at this point and put the new charges to use in scorching a couple of battle horrors at Durlag's Tower to get her to level 8 (unlike her first incarnation, this one has good HPs - 53 is 3.5 above average). She picked up the tome there using a potion of magic blocking against the trap.

Posted Image

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Best of luck to ya Grond0. It almost seems wild mage class is to you what Paladins are to me...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Sal {2} - elf wild mage (update 2)

I was aiming to finish the run this morning, but didn't quite have time before work to do the final fight.  Progress up to that point was as follows:

Cloakwood - invisible.
Drasus & co - wand of fire.
Cloakwood mine - invisible.
Daveorn - potion magic blocking / wand of fire.  There was a dangerous moment there after Daveorn was dead; the familiar was sent for and triggered the last corridor trap (that Sal had obviously managed to avoid somehow).  Fortunately magic resistance kicked in.
Jalantha - paralysed.
Marek - summoned gnolls.
Iron Throne - invisible.
Candlekeep tombs - scroll of magic protection, violet potion, potion of fortitude (without the latter she would only have 11 HPs).
Pantaloons picked up.
Ramazith - potion of strength + DUHM to get in then invisibility to recover tome (couldn't avoid using a spell there for the second time in the game; the first DUHM surged, but the fireball didn't hit any innocents)
Slythe - summoned wolves / paralysation.
Palace - summoned wolves / darts of stunning / paralysation was successful without the need for dodging upstairs.
Maze - magic protection + invisibility.

At the Temple I had forgotten a wand of magic missiles, which is the most efficient ranged weapon against Sarevok.  However, Sal had plenty of darts and kept a hail of those going on Sarevok while regularly summoning monsters.  Sarevok failed to quite last out a full wand's worth of monsters, with an ogre's punch proving the last straw.

The only significant problem with the run was Sal's failure to learn cloudkill - that would have been a handy spell to have in the dungeon.

Edited by Grond0, 04 February 2014 - 08:30 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Congrats Grond0! Hope it goes well in Amn...

Russell V and his band of paladins and cleric/thief are still going, they just destroyed the bandit camp. No deaths so far this run. We're only level 5, so still working no our experience...we'll likely check out the eastern areas of the map next.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Russell V the Inquisitor and his band of paladins and his cleric/thief:
Traveling with: Hanna (Undead Hunter), Misty (Cavalier), Joshua (Undead Hunter), Forrest (Paladin), Paja (cleric/thief)

Russell V and his band of paladins has cleared the eastern part of the Sword Coast without much ado. We necessarily had to use the protection from petrification scroll for the basilisk area - Misty soloed that portion by herself. She also used a heroism and potion of magic protection when she battled Mutamutin and his baslisk pets. The party battled Kirian - was a route, we used things like arrows of biting and Paja's silence worked on both the cleric and Kirian, so that spelled certain doom for Kiran's gang.

Molkar's group was beat pretty much the same way - basic buffs plus silence once again more than sufficient to defeat his band of assassins. No problem clearing Firewine Ruins (entered via halfling traitor's house). The Ogre Mage died instantly (he didn't even get a chance to talk) and Hanna took down Landarn and his ogrilliion friends - the party assisted once the dangerous mage killed himself with his own lightning bolt. Hanna was safe thanks to a potion of aborption she consumed before entering the ruins.

One last task - get the gauntlets from Melium. The intent was to hold him, but turns out that idea was overkill, as Melium fell in a single round. Paja was real close to leveling, but still a bit shy -so we dealt with that nearby menace, Kahrk the Ogre Mage. We used our best ammo, of course, with only Hanna in melee range. Hanna used a potion of magic blocking to be immune to Kahrk's spells for 5 rounds - thus no one died and the evil ogre was slain. This was in fact enough to get Paja her level. The paladins are level 6 at this point, with Paja being level 5 cleric/level 6 thief.

Still one more task before the end of the session, which is to pick up Dushai's free action ring. In my install, my potions of the same name do not stack, so to get around that (Paja's native pick pocket is 25%) we used a potion of perception, thieving, and genius which got Paja up to 100 and yes, success, free action went to Misty, so she wouldn't have to worry about ghouls/ghasts anymore. Earlier, we bought the Claw of Kazagarath for Misty, since the save vs. death penalty not a big deal for her since she is immune to poison. In addition, she has gotten some of the better HP rolls of the party, so the CON penalty wasn't much of a problem for her either.

We rested near FAI, the Cloakwood our next target.

Edited by corey_russell, 06 February 2014 - 04:07 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Keep it going with the party Corey.

I've got a dwarven kensai somewhere (going to try and do a single character repeatedly rather than further anagrams of Karix), but also rolled up Carthusian XII this morning. Playing at 30fps in BGT.

So far he's got 17hp for Shoal (so 10+7 or a 9+8), 9, 9, 4 for 49hp at level 6 which seems pretty good.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 35 - (3rd and final update)

A dodgy session today saw a qualified success following quickly by an abject failure.

The duo finished their initial work in Baldur's Gate by dealing with Ramazith & Marek and departed for Candlekeep.  On arrival I realised that the cloud giant strength potion we had brought was not good enough to get the strength tome - Leila couldn't use it and Daphne couldn't top it up with DUHM.  There was also a dodgy battle against Prat when both characters were confused after killing everyone except Sakul.  Fortunately they ran into relatively safe positions and were able to come back unscathed to finish Sakul off.

Back in the City Slythe was having a bad day - a single nymph successively confused, dominated and held him!  On to the palace where Daphne potioned up while Leila used II both on themselves and on Belt as well as producing some supporting summons.  Several dopplegangers were disabled by the nymphs or darts of stunning, meaning Belt survived much more comfortably than in our last couple of games.

The same buffs saw the duo through the maze, but the attack on the Undercity party didn't go according to plan.  They were all webbed, but that meant the others didn't go hostile when Gorf was attacked and an insect plague was largely wasted.  A bit of retreating and firing appeared to have killed all the enemies, but when Daphne advanced she found Wudei was still there and was held - Leila turned up quickly enough to save her.

The final battle was also a bit of a mess, thanks mainly to laggy action.  Sarevok was pulled out with a sling bullet and, as expected, Semaj teleported after him.  Daphne targeted him with dispelling arrows and had almost killed him when she strayed too far up the temple and Angelo and Tazok joined the fun.  Angelo started firing arrows of detonation at Daphne - who responded with a potion of invisibility.  Unfortunately, with real positions uncertain, she didn't know where to go and died in further arrow blasts as Angelo and Tazok fought each other.  Leila waited for Angelo to die and then finished Tazok off before running Sarevok round and slinging him to death.

The BGEE final save is created as soon as Sarevok died, which meant there was no opportunity to raise Daphne.  The intention was for Gate70 to run Minsc as his character through the dungeon, but we didn't make it that far!  Leila had already demonstrated the potential lethal effect of her chromatic orbs by petrifying the cambion when she absent-mindedly targeted the clone.  Spell turning sent the orb back; I don't know what Leila's spell saving throw was, but it was clearly more than 7 as the hand of death made an early appearance.