Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grats on your run! Looks like a lot of BG 2 runs going now...
@Welcome back Wise!
@Good luck with your run CKT! Practice does make perfect...

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts
Looks like I'm gonna reload my mods & start again. I got started but had added 'Full Plate & Packing Steel' mod which I'd never used before. I've made it to the Coast Way & added Montaron, Xar & Eldoth. I'd killed Fuller & the other watcher in the barracks for their Plate Mail only to find out that Plate Mail w/18/97 strength & 18 Dexterity is AC 5 (base AC7?) . Really? & it drops my 18 dexterity to Dexterity 14. Don't like it. Planning to reload tomorrow & start over, same character & storyline. Like I said, I've not died so this is just a, 'I DON"T LIKE THIS MOD RELOAD.'

If anyone has used it before & finds it a plus to the game, please let me know something positive about it. CT

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@CKT - as far as I understand, some people use it because this mimics some version of tabletop D&D. So if you were a diehard tabletop D&D fan, then this mod might do something for you. If that's irrelevant for you, than don't really see a benefit of it for ya.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts
The vanilla BG armor system is pretty faithful to 2nd edition rules, The FP&PS mod is... quite different.

Basically, all the armors have worse AC and an added dexterity penalty on top of that in exchange for damage resistance.

Trouble is trading AC for damage resistance doesn't work well at low levels, because when enemies are doing less than double digit damage a 25% resistance (after rounding) isn't very noticeable, whereas getting hit on non criticals by mobs of bandit/kobold archers IS noticeable and is very bad for a low level, low hp character. I can't imagine it works too well at high levels either, with hardiness stacking on top of armor DR for imbalanced, indestructible fighters...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 36 - (update 1)
Omen, half-elf mage/thief (Grond0) & Cnerd, human shapeshifter (Gate70)

This run got off to a bad start when I tried opening a chest in the Candlekeep Inn, only to discover I had somehow put all Omen's starting thief points into pickpocket (the only thief skill I would never intend to put points towards)!  Things didn't improve for a while as Shoal took advantage of lag to talk to Cnerd and a dire wolf lunched on him on the way to the FAI.

Thereafter things ran much more smoothly as the duo progressed via Beregost and Nashkel to the basilisk area.  Korax and a horror scroll accounted for 3 of the 4 party there.  Peter took a long while to track down and then managed to hold Cnerd, but couldn't finish him off before Omen helped out.  Omen has tried blinding a few people, but without success until Greywolf - he proved unable to spot where arrows were coming from even from practically under his nose.

The Cloudpeaks were cleared and various reputation quests done on the way to Ulgoth's Beard.  That included recovering a body from an ankheg nest, although Cnerd did have another close encounter with death there before pulling a critical out of the bag to finish off an ankheg.  They've just finished shopping at the Beard and will be getting on with the main quest next time.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Stats:
Omen, mage 4 / thief 5, 29 HPs, 57 kills
Cnerd, shapeshifter 6, 45 HPs, 90 kills, 2 deaths

Edited by Grond0, 09 February 2014 - 10:41 AM.

• Members
  • 981 posts

polytope wrote...

The vanilla BG armor system is pretty faithful to 2nd edition rules, The FP&PS mod is... quite different.

Basically, all the armors have worse AC and an added dexterity penalty on top of that in exchange for damage resistance.

Trouble is trading AC for damage resistance doesn't work well at low levels, because when enemies are doing less than double digit damage a 25% resistance (after rounding) isn't very noticeable, whereas getting hit on non criticals by mobs of bandit/kobold archers IS noticeable and is very bad for a low level, low hp character. I can't imagine it works too well at high levels either, with hardiness stacking on top of armor DR for imbalanced, indestructible fighters...

Thanks Polytope & C_R:  Good info.  I am a HUGE fan of the old AD&D 'paper characters' and 'modules.'  Used to Be a Dungeon Master in The World of Greyhawk back in the '80s & was a player character in a friends world, "'The City State of the World Emperor.'  I loved those rule sets & try to mimic them in BG by using 'P&P' options as often as possible. However, I skip the option to allow spellcasting in armor & thieving skills in armor as it just doesn't seem realistic. 

I don't think this mod does the PC justice, as you say P-t, it will be very difficult to go much further as a low level PC in BG.  Gonna stop, reload & skip this mod.  hopefully can get a reloaded in a couple of hours & get a two or three hours of play in before the work week starts.  CKT 

• Members
  • 981 posts
Posted Image
OUT OF THE GATE!

I finally got free of the gosh-forsaken Candlekeep w/all of the crusty old monks & wimpy Watchers. & what a stroke of luck! Some fiend ambushed Gorion & I just hours after we left & the old fool was cut down. Now I don’t have to worry about getting away from him. 

Everything worked like clockwork. Suddenly Gorion wanted us to leave together urgently. I didn’t even have to figure out how to escape w/o being noticed. I grabbed some gear from Puffguts, including three of my favorite weapon, the Flails, & got ready to leave.

Key Event: In a perfect world, I’d have caught Hull & Fuller alone but Hull was on the gate. I put some Studded Leather, my girdle, bracers & helm & headed out like I was going to meet Gorion. Everyone was so freaked that I was leaving so I slipped into the barracks like I was going into say goodbye. I caught Fuller & another Watcher alone. I cast Doom on Fuller, separated myself a bit, poisoned my Flail & proceeded to kill them with little difficulty. I one stroked Fuller when I finally hit him. The other Watcher fought valiantly but, alas, that pansy is dead too. Heck, there was a watcher outside the door & he didn’t even budge when I walked out & headed straight for Gorion.  Heck I was so smooth I could be an assassin. Ha! 

Posted Image

Gorion & I were outta there in a flash & in no time, thank Asmodeus, Gorion was a concern no more. Pesky Imoen ran me down but said nothing of the slaughter I inflicted on Fuller & the watcher. I ditched her but convinced her I needed the three Potions of Healing she was carrying & the Potion of Speed tooEven got her to identify the enchanted dagger I got off Fuller’s body. I sent her to the FAI where I have no intention of going since that’s exactly where Gorion said to go to meet, ‘friends.’ Still, by now I know the evidence @ Candlekeep points to me so there’ll be no heading back to Candlekeep anytime soon either. 

Treasure of Note: 2 suits of Plate Mail (from Fuller & the Watcher)(those are for yours truly); a Dagger +1 (I’ll likely sell that unless I find an underling that has use for it)

Posted Image

Current Disposition: Camping @ Lion’s Way

Next Steps:
Follow the road eastward from Lion’s Way

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 4 - Despised)
Front-de-Boeuf,
Ftr (A-Pdn)/1: Pl/Mail w/Flail** (SWS**)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

http://www.bobsenk.c...ntipaladin.html (this link goes to an old Dungeon Mag article on the Anti-Paladin – from the p&p days). 

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 11 February 2014 - 01:45 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Posted Image

As I ran from the scene of the ambush and Gorion’s death, I heard Imoen’s voice calling to me, but the nature of the ambush caused me to suspect that Imoen had been charmed and was calling for me at the behest of the ambushers. I therefore ran back to Candlekeep in the hope of getting aid. Sadly none was forthcoming so I returned to the scene of the ambush where I managed to find some items worth having. There was a note that suggested that I go to The Friendly Arms Inn on Gorion’s body, but since it was likely that the ambushers had also read it, I did not stop there even to return Joia’s ring that I found on a hobgoblin. On the way I had found a ring in a tree stump, and some belts on an ogre who was killed using my ability with a sling.

Posted Image

I continued northward where some fishermen asked for aid against an evil priestess. She turned out to be quite young and when she pleaded for help I agreed to give it and killed the fishermen.

Posted Image

Continuing northwards a green monster suddenly appeared in front of me but using the spell blindness I was able to kill it with no difficulty.
Posted Image

I crossed the river where it is narrow to a farm that had been overrun by zombies. Remembering Gorion’s advice that because undead are slow, they are best dealt with using ranged weapons, I killed them with my sling.

I made my way along the river bank to Baldur’s Gate where I found a tome that increases dexterity and paid to identify it. I tried to help as many as possible whilst I was there. There was a flaming fist who wanted an angel skin ring for his fiancée, a dying sirene who just wanted leaving in peace, a man with a curse who wanted it removed, a woman who was being blackmailed who wanted the blackmailer removed, a mage called Arkion who needed a corpse whom I deemed too dangerous to leave alive. He was quite difficult to kill but I survived. By that time I felt that the ambushers would have lost my scent and so I returned south.

I was attacked by several bandits who I managed to kill without too much difficulty,

Posted Image

and upon arriving at the Friendly Arms Inn found that my thoughts concerning my enemies were way of beam for I was attacked by a mage. I used sanctuary to protect myself, intending to kill him after the guards had weakened him. However a guard hit him with a particularly powerful blow and killed him.

Posted Image

At the inn I discovered that there were problems in Nashkel and I therefore headed south. In Beregost upon entering an apparently unoccupied house, I was attacked by spiders. The blindness spell together with the excellent flail I had found on the body of Sonner were found to be sufficient to deal with them.

Posted Image

I continued to Nashkel Carnival where upon entering a tent was shocked to find a mage intent on murdering another mage. I tried to stop him but was unsuccessful. However he will not be committing any more murders!

Posted Image

Continuing southwards to the mines I came across Greywolf who was intent upon killing Prism. The blindness spell proved to be his downfall too, for though the first one didn’t work, the second one did! After that his extremely good sword was of no use to him.

Posted Image

A visit to the inn in Nashkel led to the death of Neira. Blindness was again invaluable. Again the first spell was not effective, but the second one was.

Posted Image

Upon discovering that the mines were infested with demons, I decided to get some more experience before going to the lower levels.

In Beregost I killed the evil Silke before going in search of the equally evil Bassilus. Low charisma meant that I had to kill many of his undead allies also.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then headed westward to the coast where I killed several sirene as well as some flesh golems. This increased my experience considerably.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My experience was further increased when I went Ankheg hunting.

Posted Image

I then headed to the extreme south-west. On the way I killed a winter wolf and after selling its pelt I entered an area where there was a Gnoll stronghold.

Posted Image

In the south-west I was attacked by xvarts but the use of summoned skeletons negated their shaman.

Posted Image

I believe that I am now ready to face the demons in the mine as I am a level 5 fighter, level 5 mage and level 6 cleric.

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 10 February 2014 - 06:20 PM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
The mines were no problem. Summoned skeletons plus my sling were enough to make them a walkover. I discovered that far from being demons, the problem was just a few kobolds plus Mulahey. So much for taking note of what the miners told me!

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
I enlisted Xan's help as a porter, though of course I was diplomatic enough to refrain from telling him that was why I asked him to join. He enjoyed his stay with me nevertheless. He even got some experience for being in my party for a short while and learnt a few spells as well.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grimwald the Wise wrote...

In Beregost I killed the evil Silke before going in search of the equally evil Bassilus. Low charisma meant that I had to kill many of his undead allies also.

Just FYI Wise, we had a discussion about this issue a long time ago, and the undead around Bassilus not dying when doing the right options has nothing to do with CHA. It does, though have everything to do being in the "fog" (blackness). Thus, if you sanctuary first, finding all the undead, THEN talk to Bassilus, all of them would have died. Alternatively, you could show yourself from behind a pillar, so the moment Bassilus sees you you see all the undead as well.

Edited by corey_russell, 11 February 2014 - 04:12 PM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Thanks for the information. For this game it was no problem, just a bit more experience plus sleeping one extra time.

update:

Upon arriving at Beregost I went to High Hedge, sold my wands and bought them back again. I now only have 2000 gold pieces, but should have enough charges in the wands to last me the game.

Edit:

Carried on to the bandit camp where I killed Tazok Posted Image and everyone else in the camp except for a good guy whom I rescued Posted Image. He warned me about a trap, but having a lot of health left, it was no problem though it hurt rather a lot. Posted Image

(Made a mistake. I collected the contents of the chest before killing the bandits north of Beregost and Tranzig) Posted Image

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 11 February 2014 - 07:30 PM.

Matuse

Matuse
  • Members
  • 250 posts
When you are by yourself, missing out on a few hundred XP from Tranzig and the north area bandits is not really all that much. I did a run once where I cleaned out the entire map with the XP cap removed and a full party of 6 the whole time. As a multiclass I was still able to get 300k XP. That's without any XP farming at all, just completing each area and all quests.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
You're right, but the ring and wand plus the gold for the scalps would have come in handy.
Once I join up with Jet after the Cloakwood mines I have to equip a party. At least from a role playing perspective that seems the right thing to do. I only have a few thousand gp now.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Zemtan the solo fighter/illusionist - Update 1
(Zemtan is entering Trilogy no-reload - plans to be solo most of the time)

Zemtan has always been a loner growing up - this in turn means he prefers to solve/achieve his goals on his own, and only get help if there is just no way for him to do it himself. He did a few chores around Candlekeep then Gorion said it was time to go - Zemtan easily dealt with a few assassins in Candlekeep before he left. But when they left Candlekeep, Gorion was killed by an unkonwn armored figure.

Imoen asked to join the group - Zemtan let her join for a sec, took a few things he needed from her, then sent Imoen on her way - she didn't like this much, but Zemtan didn't feel like babysitting her. He collected the loot near Gorion's body and then found some suspicious characters - Zemtan blinded the mage, but it was unnecessary as Zemtan defeated both the mage and his halfling buddy very fast with Zemtan's two battle axes.

Zemtan picked up a ring in a rock crevice but found a huge number of gibberlings and some dire wolves, he ran for his life but escaped. He made it to Beregost and did a few things. He killed Silke using blindness as well as another assassin named Karlat. He calmed Marl, got a book for Firebeard and lured some spiders from a house and ran all around the block, throwing throwing axes until the spiders all died. 

For lack of anything better to do, Zemtan headed to Nashkel - he blinded two ogrillions and also a flaming fist mercernary for the fist's plate mail. A letter was found on the ogrillion's body and was returned to Meriaane for a protection ring. Zemtan sold this ring to Thalantry and made his first major purchase, a sleep wand - which immediately found use on some nearby gnolls who had Perdue's sword.

Zemtan then worked his way south - using throwing axes when he can, but always charging enemy archers. Sleep wand had to be used on a large number of gibberlings on the road. Just before reaching Nashkel, Zemtan went left to a new area with a lake. Here Zemtan defeated 4 ogrillions and reported this result to the Paladin in the Jovial Jester's Inn - the paladin was so pleased he gave Zemtan a +1 shield - this should help.

In Nashkel, Zemtan put up with Noober, told Oublek that Zemtan wasn't Greywolf and defeated yet another assassin, Neira the cleric, with blindness. Zemtan also obtained the shield amulet from the Carnival. Near the Nashkel Mines', Zemtan found an artist carving the rock, who was threatened by Mr. Greywolf - Greywold was blinded and pumped full of throwing axes and died. In another nearby area, Zemtan found Samuel and agreed to take Samuel to the Friendly Arm Inn. I forgot to mention before all of this, Zemtan had purchased invisibility and resist fear spells.

Zemtan used invisibility to bypass the gibberlings north of Beregost - but before he went to FAI, he used blindness on a nearby ogre to obtain a piercing belt. Then Zemtan made it o FAI - oh in a small hole in the ground, Zemtan found a wizard's ring! What luck! He equipped it, got his spells ready, rested and proceeded to the Inn. First, he returned Samel. Then he met another assassin, a mage this time. However with shield amulet and resist fear buffs, this mage could do nothing but die. Zemtan then went upstairs, did friends x3 and talked to Landarin- she was so pleased she gave him 6 antidotes and some cash for the things he brought for her from Beregost.

Zemtan thought about his equipment - his ring slots are going to be in high demand, he really needs a cloak of protection to free up a ring slot. So he uses invisibillity to travel to a zombie infested farm. Here he uses the knock spell which he obtained from some random gibberling in ambush, to obtain the cloak he needed. Fire resistance ring takes up the now open ring slot, at least for now.

Zemtan character sheet:
Posted Image

Zemtan's equipment:
Posted Image

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Hello,

Years after playing through Baldur's Gate several times, beating #1 a few times and finishing #2 once, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that BG was finally available for Mac, so I started a party through Athkatla. I made it through the Asylum and started to get bored, as I'd done before. Adventuring just wasn't much of a challenge with 2 beefy front liners supported by a bunch of spell casters. I bought BG1 EE, and mucked around with it some, but encountered the boredom setting in too quickly again. I tried installing SCS, but getting mods to work on my Mac has proved impossible so far. So I've settled on no reload. There's an almost linear correspondence between the number of times my character dies and is reloaded, and the lack of interest I have in him. I don't get my thrills without taking a risk.

I've also decided to run solo. I feel I've never been able to explore the qualities of any individual class properly, because multiple characters all act as a crutch for one another's weaknesses. This means that no character ever needs to reach his full potential for the group to succeed.

My character is Mildew, a gnomish thief/illusionist. I thought long and hard about dual-classing a thief to a mage because I can reach higher spell levels and don't miss out on any of the spells, but then I compared that to the dangers of dual classing, the bonus specialist spells, the awesome shorty saving bonuses which would seem so important in a no reload, and lastly all the fun I will have making a battle thief.

Namely: I'm going to entirely ignore lock picking as a skill. I figure going solo I won't be able to use most of what I find in locked chests other than a few extra potions, or else I just use knock for the important ones. Instead, I'm going to pump my points first into Move Silently, and plan on traveling mostly at night and making some awesome back stabs. Then some points into find traps, and then start throwing points into Detect Illusion and Set Traps, which I've never made use of before. My alignment is Lawful Neutral, and my familiar ferret will take care of the pickpocketing.

I put a point into short bows, and a point into long swords. Planning on making Varscona my backstabbing weapon of choice, maybe switching to the Dagger of Venom later. (Edit--should have remembered the existence of the +3 staff.)

Opening is uneventful. Mildew looted the chest next to the nobleman upstairs in the opening inn and then hid in shadows to avoid the guard. With his familiar boosting his HP to 13, Mildew felt comfortable taking on the first assassins. Soon he arrived in Candlekeep, and with the shield spell protecting him from magic missiles, assaulted Tarnesh…and ended up scoring a one-hit kill 18HP backstab. The first of many, I might add.

BG EE is weird in parts. Mildew found a belt on Gorion's body that gives him 100% protection from cold damage. All this does is make the fearsome Winter Wolf into an XP and cash cow. So Mildew didn't wear it, though he didn't mind selling it. Also the joinable NPCs are packed to the gills with potions, and Mildew with less reservation allowed them to join his party just long enough for him to nab their stuff.

Another horrible quirk of EE: Mildew had entered Beregost and ran into his fourth assassin, Ksomething. The first blind didn't work, so Mildew ran into the street, being chased, to try to get off his second. He did so, and the axe-dwarf failed his save, but just then a strange wild mage called out to Mildew for help. The Cowled Wizards had come to take her away. Mildew knew that he was too weak for them, so he chose dialogue options which washed his hands of the responsibility. But the magically appearing new enemies didn't seem to care, and suddenly, at 13 HP, Mildew was targeted by two swordsmen and a level 3 or 4 mage. Meanwhile, the wild mage didn't join battle at all but just stood there, initiating dialogue from a distance every half second, which meant that Mildew, trying to run away, would constantly stop and turn to 'respond'. He almost died. He ran to the other map, slept, recovered his shield spell, returned to backstab one swordsman, ran, returned, repeat. Each time he reentered the Beregost map, the wild mage would start initiating dialogue again. When it was the only the wizard left, things looked pretty grim. Melf's Acid arrow took him to 1 HP. At last he succeeded in blinding the wizard, killed him, and the dialogue-initiation stopped after the mage made a 'thanks for saving me' speech.

Mildew worked wonders up and down the Sword Coast with the marvelous spell 'Blind', slaughtering assassins and bounty hunters and ogres. He walked in the shadows. He snuck by night through the forest to assault a special hobgoblin for his boots, making sure the Elite hobgoblins were nowhere to be seen. Another one-shot backstab felled the beast, and Mildew scuttled away with his loot, now more silent than ever.

Eventually his thoughts turned to his lack of spells. He was surviving on only blind and shield. He couldn't face more numerous enemies until he acquired the blessed Sleep. So he now stands in the mage tower, having saved Melicamp, ready to do some shopping. Apart from the red wizard, by the far the most terrifying enemy has been the humble skeleton warrior, with his magic resistance and his ranged dart attack. 

Update:

Mildew has continued to scour the Sword Coast. Acquired Varscona (using a potion of speed to make sure Greywolf didn't get any critical hits in while Mildew passed him by before blinding him). Gave the gems to whatsit, planned to steal them back with the ferret and sell on. Failed the first attempt, but second attempt before he went red said 'no items can be stolen by a cutpurse of your rank' which is a silly novelty from EE I guess. A bunch of Amnian guards went red on him so Nashkel remains dangerous.

Got the bracers of archery which dramatically sped up the kiting. Drew off Vax who approaches you, blinded and killed him, then snuck back to Zal for a backstab, and now at melee range was not dangerous.

Killing the basilisks was fun. Scouted the area in advance to kill all low level enemies to make sure Korax's assault was uninterrupted and to make sure he didn't run into the adventuring party. Had two shields and two protection from petrifications memorized. Activated the shield first. Since they both last an hour, Mildew used the shield as a timer so he would know when the protection was about to wear off, when he fired the second one. Polished off Mutamin and his Greater B with liberal use of the wand of frost, since Korax had just died after getting hit with two acid arrows.

Purchased the cloak of displacement and the ESP amulet. On the way back south was finally ambushed by the dread circe of bandits. Fired off shield immediately and wore the cloak, such that they could only hit on a 20, so walked away with only one scratch.

The vanilla mines are just not so scary as they were when I was growing up. Gave Mulahey a nice juicy backstab, and planned on happily dueling him (33 HP) and throwing a couple of spells at him while Mildew put his kobolds to sleep…until Mulahey fired a hold person and I realized Mildew had forgotten to activate the amulet. Saved the throw. Next round, Mulahey fired another hold spell, and Mildew saved again, rolling a 7 both times. That's why I chose gnome--my saving throw vs spell is 5.

Returning from Nashkel Mildew sold his loot, walked out of the store, and then encountered Nimbul, whom I had entirely forgotten about. Couldn't remember what spells he had, so he cowardly ran south a bit, hid in shadows, then watched from a distance as a couple of guards filled him with arrows while Nimbul stood there. Walked back with full protections to backstab him for the coup-de-grace and the XP.

Level is now mage 5 / thief 6. Mildew is still saving up for the Robe of the Neutral Archmagi, the Dagger of Venom, and the Sandthief ring. Really wish he had a fireball spell, but I don't think he'll risk the Ogre Mage party under Gullykin to get it. As a Level 5 mage he has only 3 L2 spell slots, which feels very limiting (he has blur, MI, and resist fear memorized. Would love to have another MI, plus web.)

Do I need to set up a photo sharing account somewhere and link to them in order to post screenshots here?

Cheers!

Edited by cuttysark, 12 February 2014 - 10:19 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Cuttysark: Yes, you get a free account from a picture sharing site like photobucket and then use {img}{/img} or {url=}{/url} except use the open/close brackets not the curly qs.

Keep in mind wands. You can buy a fire wand from Durlag's Tower merchant as well as sleep wand from Thalantyr to free up some spell slots. If you have two invisibilities you could also get the fire wand in the ankheg nest (don't fight, just pause, loot and then go invisible)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Welcome and good luck Cuttysark: may all your saving throws be successful!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Just a quick note - Zemtan the solo fighter/illusionist is at the level cap (level 7 fighter/level 7 illusionist). He has just defeated the enemies in Tazok's Tent. He buffed with improved invisibility and then then did magic missiles on Venkt (to make the enemies hostile) then did emotion - this disabled the melees. Then Zemtan unloaded his spell book on Venkt before the II wore off. Next, Zemtan blinded Brikt. After that, Zemtan used melee on the melees. Lastly, Brikt was taken down by Zemtan's short bow +1.

I very often have to change equipment around, depending on whether I am meleeing, ranging or casting, or a combo of the 3. However, I notice Zemtan doesn't use very many heal potions - he's stayed out of trouble so far this run, no close calls. Hopefully I can make some good progress on the main story line tomorrow....

Proficiencies:
** axes
** two weapon style
** short-bow

I discovered something this run - the battle horrors are vulnerable to blind! I should be doing this with my parties! I'll remember this...

Edited by corey_russell, 13 February 2014 - 06:04 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Yes, well met and welcome, Cuttysark. Looks like it's gnomish time now with three of them running around. Safe travels, friends!

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Welcome Cuttysark. A point to remember is that once you have the knock spell available you don't need the chest opening ability of a thief as the spell does it for you,

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 36 - (2nd and final update)
Omen, half-elf mage/thief (Grond0) & Cnerd, human shapeshifter (Gate70)

This was a short and not so sweet session.  After clearing the Nashkel mines the duo moved up to the bandit camp and soon dealt with the bandits outside before going invisible.  In the tent Omen put down a couple of webs and then the duo attacked Venkt.  He took several rounds of damage, including a wand scorcher and fireball, but refused to die and retaliated with a horror that incapacitated Omen.  Cnerd got trapped in a corner by Britik and was unable to prevent Venkt running through the remainder of his spellbook to finish off Omen.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 37 - (update 1)
Slough, halfling swashbuckler (Grond0) & Varrel, human paladin (Gate70)

With the previous run ending near the start of a session we rolled up some new characters.  As usual the classes were randomly chosen from classes we haven't yet played.  This time these are types that should play to our strengths, so let's hope for a good run.

Progress has followed fairly well-worn paths so far via Shoal, Beregost and Nashkel and into the Cloudpeaks.  There was a close shave there for Varrel when he meleed an ogre berserker and got taken down to 2 HPs.  However, wearing the ankheg armour he has generally been pretty successful at melee - including taking down Meilum without trouble for instance.

Up until almost the end of the session HP rolls had been very good.  Varrel's last level produced a die roll of 1 to drag him back to only marginally above average, but Slough is only 1 HP off the possible maximum so far.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stats:
Slough, swashbuckler 4, 31 HPs, 18 kills
Varrel, paladin 4, 43 HPs, 42 kills, 0 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Zemtan the solo fighter/illusionist update 3:
Zemtan has made it out of chapter 4. He skipped most of the content - he did fight Heirashan, but only for her haste scroll. He went invisible through much. He intended to do blindness on the battle horrors in Davaeorn's level but it got resisted once - 2nd try finally took. But this meant no more blindness for the 2nd one - so instead 2 shots of necklace of missiles were used - however this wasn't enough then Davaeorn appeared and started to cast spells! Zemtan went upstairs, the battle horror followed and a necklace of missiles finished it off. Zemtan then went downstairs, did improved invisibility and chased down Davaeorn - Davaeorn fell before the II wore off. Zemtan was protected by invunlnerability, so he was still pretty safe even if it took a while.

There are very few upgrades in the City, so Zemtan's stay in Baldur's Gate will be short.

@Grond0, Gate70 - sorry to hear the end of your guys' MP run.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Well, a fun run ended embarrassingly. Mildew conquered several parties in his search for XP and loot, including the one in southern Gullykin. He discovered for the first time the quality of the grease spell when it is paired with web. He decided to buy the robe of the neutral archmagi first, so that he wouldn't be so dependent on the shield spell. With his Detect Illusion up to 50%, it was great fun whacking away while simultaneously having it turned on when a mage had mirrored imaged, doing two jobs at once. He couldn't be sure whether the wand of sleep worked like the regular spell in that L4 and higher enemies were immune to it. Some baddies got hit and made a saving throw, but no-one definitely at the higher levels went unconscious because of it.

In the end he lost to that great foe of humanity, or gnomedom for that matter: ignorance. He was on the northwest coast. Killed shoal, killed all the ogres, and then swallowed the potion of clarity intending to take out the nereid colony...and then realized he was on the wrong map. In frustration having wasted a valuable potion, he wandered the map slaughtering as he went, backstabbing a couple ogrillon, until he found the party of 3 nereids on the southwest. Confident and vengeful, he strode into battle and had taken 2 out and the 3rd was injured. Then his potion ran out, and he became...feebleminded! I had no idea the nereids had a melee magical attack. Has never happened to any party members of mine before. But there he was, with 3 intelligence, staring stupidly as the nereid took him from 33 HP to 0 over the course of 10 minutes, hitting him for 1 or 2 HPs at a time.