Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Sorry, no idea. I use photobucket which is very easy.

Playing Aethelflaed again from the start but with a new name Ælfthryth.

Posted Image

Upon being ambushed, I headed for the Friendly Arms Inn where I was again ambushed. The plan was to cast "Sanctuary" when Tarnesh cast "Horror". However "Blindness" worked.

Posted Image

and so Tarnesh died. Posted Image

Posted Image

I love it when I beat him at level 1.

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 14 February 2014 - 09:39 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Cuttysark: I believe it's been established that new users have a probationary period or some such, and when it's over then your images will show up to other users. I don't know how long it is precisely.

Matuse

Matuse
  • Members
  • 250 posts
The thing that ends my no reloads in BG1 more than any other are disabling traps and spells. Horror, Web are doom to Bhaalspawn.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
If you can remember where the traps are, you can very often avoid them. I memorize paths around traps, as it better not to trip them at all if you are a solo character and not a thief. If you can't avoid it, them memorize the trap type, as usually there's ways to defend against them. Doing these strategies, traps never give me trouble in BG 1.

BG 2 on the other hand, is a different matter - there's quite a few deadly traps to the solo player (disintegrate, petrification, maze). Memorize the way around it, if possible or if not the type and ways to defend against them.

If you just can't remember the trap type, then boost your saves! potions, spells items etc, this way you are more likely to survive. For example the improved invisibility from ring of air control boosts saves by 4, which can make the difference between living and dying.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
@corey_russell Thanks!

@Matuse Yeah, even when I didn't lose a game to one of those, they still brought me closest to death. Now that I know about the ring of free action in Ulgoth's Beard, I think that as a rule my character will take the rep hit to get it and have it on whenever I'm travelling, just in case. My sorceror will soon need resist fear as well.

Matuse

Matuse
  • Members
  • 250 posts
Knowing where the traps are is only part of the battle...I had an ambush segment once with a bunch of ettercaps, I moved some of the party off to the side to keep them out of the way, and they triggered a web trap. TPK.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Vail - dwarf swashbuckler (update 2)

Vail's attempt to avoid damage didn't last long!  He used stealth to get another potion of invisibility from the valley of the tombs.  Then went to the ghast tomb and tried to drag the enemies out for an easy kill.  However, on coming out the game didn't pause when I pressed the space bar and Vail was hit by an emerging ghast (though he saved against paralysis). 

Travelling to the basilisk area he was in a kobold ambush.  As he had already taken damage I didn't use a potion of invisibility, though the kobolds nearly made Vail pay for that decision.  After shooting the basilisks, Korax once again was successful in paralysing all Kirian's party.

After a trip to the FAI to take Landrin's goods back, Vail moved on to the Nashkel mine.  He sneaked through there and stealth-shot Mulahey.  Outside, a couple of fireballs and a few stealth-shots disposed of the amazons.  Back in Nashkel there were more stealth-shots for Nimbul before Neira moved up to the door inn and made herself a target for stealth-stabs.  It was back to stealth-shots for Tranzig, though he was finished off with a Bhaal LMD.  Vail has now arrived at the bandit camp.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Matuse wrote...

Knowing where the traps are is only part of the battle...I had an ambush segment once with a bunch of ettercaps, I moved some of the party off to the side to keep them out of the way, and they triggered a web trap. TPK.

In that situation (cloakwood ambushes), if I intend to fight I don't move! (really!). And if I do move, I only move near another party member, I don't move where a party isn't, this way avoiding traps. And if I do escape always go up and right and that always avoid tripping traps for me.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Vail - dwarf swashbuckler (update 3)

At the bandit camp Vail spent a while running and shooting Taugosz, before stealth-shooting a number of bandits to provide a clear route in and out of the main tent.  Britik, then Venkt chased him out to their doom before Raemon waited inside for his turn.  Hakt also chose outside, but with the tent now empty for a retreat if necessary Vail was able to go for the more satisfying melee option on him.

He sneaked through the Cloakwood, using a potion of freedom for the web traps, before a couple more fireballs and stealth-shots accounted for Drasus & co.  After going back to the FAI to sell surplus equipment Vail returned to the mine and sneaked down to Daveorn.  He had the luxury of being able to disarm the traps and then stealth-shot the mage.

Having picked up a couple of Bhaal horror abilities, Vail now quickly ran through reputation tasks to get that up to 20.  Also shot Meilum (should really have done that earlier to get the big boost from his bracers).  After bypassing some sirines on the way to the pirate cave, Vail started off trying stealth stabs on the golems, but I got a bit careless there when assuming he would hit and picked up a nasty critical retaliation - Vail switched to shooting after that!

He has just arrived in Baldur's Gate.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Vail - dwarf swashbuckler (4th and final update)

In the City Vail quickly tracked down the 3 tomes (arrows of explosion for Jalantha and some stair dodging for Marek).  After investigating the Iron Throne stealthily he was sent to Candlekeep where he burgled the tombs.

Back in the City Slythe proved unable to deal with stealth (particularly after his haste was dispelled).  At the palace I took a risk by staying in the same room as the dopplegangers.  Vail's first horror affected one of them and he also dispelled haste on all those attacking the dukes before his second horror made two more dopplegangers run.  However, Liia still died and Belt had taken a number of hits - resulting in Vail trying to squeeze in an extra shot and getting a critical on him here.  Within a few moments more though all the dopplegangers were dead or running and they were rapidly finished off - getting Vail his final BG1 level.

He stealthed through the maze, leaving the enemies, but disarming the traps using the persistence of stealth.  Sarevok was pulled out alone and, at the 7th stealth shot attempt, his haste was dispelled.  After that there were a few shots when attempts to hide again failed, but most of the damage was done by stealth-stabs.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Nicely done Grond0 - hope your swashbuckler can live a long time in Amn to keep Zemtan company! : )

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Well Dostoevsky the elven sorceror is still going strong. He's now L7 and 41 HPs with his familiar. I had chosen Chaotic Good to get the invisibility 10' from the fairy dragon, but discover that in BG1 the dragon only gets mirror image, which makes it completely useless.

Until he bought the robe of the good archmagi, he stuck almost exclusively to melee encounters where he could blind the warriors and stuff them with slings. After the robe put him at 0AC, he could start to challenge parties with archers. The biggest hurt so far has been a single kobold getting in a critical hit for 12HP.

Each time he levels up, his power has increased dramatically with the inclusion of new spells. He decided to go for spook and chromatic orb and skip protection from evil. If he runs into any demons in BG2, if he makes it that far, he'll just keep some scrolls handy. Spook is fantastic. I'd say 75% of enemies have failed their save the first time, which gives Dostoevsky 3 rounds to smite them or prep the field. Enemies are starting to save vs. blindness pretty frequently. Battles have seen him kiting around the map tossing 7 blinds before one finally works.

Skull trap was a big upgrade, his first crowd control spell, which has allowed him to comfortably take on enemy archers. Since they don't move, it's much easier to target them. But even more powerful is that after buying pretty much every item south of Baldur's Gate that a wizard could use, he killed Dushai, and took the ring of free action. Soon after that he added web to his L2 spells. Now he can toss 3 or 4 webs on a battlefield and move freely about, which is how he just took care of Bassilus.

NB

Having no idea whether or not Dushai was a powerful mage, and also not knowing whether she might be scripted to automatically walk off the map before Dostoevsky could kill her, I had him take precautions: he used a charge from the wand of monster summoning and physically surrounded her so she couldn't move.

Posted Image

After she saved vs spell against several blinds, and finally failed to save but gave 'magic resistance', and still hadn't gone red, Dostoevsky hit her with a magic missile, one of which hit, she turned red, and the wolves devoured her in less than a second.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
One neat discovery I've made is that while wielding a quarterstaff, I can hit archers from such a range that they still fire arrows instead of switching to a melee weapon, thus granting me the big to-hit bonus.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Inti - elf wild mage (update 1)

I didn't really feel engaged with my swashbuckler anyway, so have gone back to another old favourite class - a wild mage.  Inti passed through Candlekeep with the help of his fairy dragon familiar, Kon - he's crucial to Inti's safety by allowing invisibility without the need for Inti to cast a spell. 

At the Crossroads Kon attacked Xzar - soaking up his LMD spells, allowing Inti to run and shoot to finish off Xzar and Montaron with his darts.  Over to the coast where Kon taunted Shoal, while Inti filled her full of darts - an excellent start there with 12 HPs for the 2 levels gained.

A few gnolls were run round on the way back to Beregost to talk to Firebead and Marl.  Kon blocked a doorway to allow Inti free use of darts on Karlat; with him out of the way Perdue got his sword back.  More darts got a scroll from some ogrillons to return to Mirianne, while Inti's charisma proved just enough to persuade Zhurlong to accept his boots back.

Arriving invisibly in Nashkel Inti spoke to Noober, getting a further 6 HPs for another level as a result.  At the carnival Oopah was darted, Kon nibbled Vitiare to death while Inti looked on invisibly.  The same was done for Zordral except that Inti showed himself when the mage had a couple of HPs left (to persuade him to kill his captive).  Kon used his invisibility before playing target for Zordral - allowing Inti to finish him off.

At the Nashkel mine Inti picked up the wand of frost and used a couple of charges from that to soften Greywolf up before switching to darts.  Inti swapped Greywolf's sword at High Hedge for the wand of sleep and soon put that to good use to save Arabelle from some hungry xvarts.

On to Firewine Bridge where Meilum received a single blast from the wand of frost before Inti switched to darts.  I was briefly distracted there though and Meilum was able to get past the invisible Kon and hit Inti for his first damage, thoughhe paid for that indignity shortly thereafter.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Aelfthryth killed Sonner and his cohorts, thus getting the favour of the child priestess.

Going northward he killed an Ankheg (using command spells plus shillelagh) that had swallowed a dagger, and continued northwards killing zombies with his sling.

This involved a lot of running away but was successful. Did a few fetching and carrying jobs and finally headed south feeling that he had been away long enough for the ambushers to have lost his trail.

Killed some gnolls at High Hedge, and got Mellicamp back into shape. Entered Beregost as level 3 in all three disciplines. When he has talked to Marl he will also be a level 4 cleric.

Giving the book to Firebead made me an official hero.

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 16 February 2014 - 08:03 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 37 - (update 2)
Slough, halfling swashbuckler (Grond0) & Varrel, human paladin (Gate70)

This pair managed some reasonable progress yesterday.  After getting a free chicken dinner from Melicamp they went to the lighthouse area where Varrel put the potion of clarity from Candlekeep to good effect on some sirines.  Inside the cave Slough could have shot the golems with arrows of biting, but found it hard to keep up with Varrel's progress.

Working on reputation, Charleston Nib, Brage and Prism were helped before Samuel was given a lift to the FAI.  With reputation now up to 20 the duo moved on to Ulgoth's Beard to buy a couple of things before heading for the basilisk area.  After Varrel dealt with the basilisks, Mutamin caught an arrow of biting before Korax was recruited to help with Kirian's party.

The Nashkel mine was pretty straight-forward until Mulahey was accidentally given the chance to surrender.  Attacking him again meant he summoned more enemies than the first time - and this time there was no trap waiting for them.  However, they were eventually all felled and the duo moved outside again to make a first use of the Greenstone Amulet on the amazon party.

Slough decided to backstab Nimbul, thinking she could run into the inn after doing that.  She could, but found Neira still there waiting for her and quickly came out again where Varrel was finishing off Nimbul.  Tranzig fell in seconds, but left behind records showing the location of the bandit camp.  That will be the starting point next time.

Stats:
Slough, swashbuckler 7, 43 HPs, 84 kills
Varrel, paladin 6, 66 HPs, 128 kills, 0 deaths

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Inti - elf wild mage (update 2)

The basilisk area was next to provide a rich vein of XP.  Inti used his darts on the basilisks under green scroll protection.  The southern greater basilisk got Inti to level 5 - dropping his first HP there with just the 5 extra.  After darting the remaining separated basilisks Inti released Tamah from her stony prison and recruited Korax to deal with Mutamin (level 6, but just the 4 HPs that time). 

Korax was lucky again against Kirian - paralysing all 4 of them very quickly and all duly died without the need for Inti to use any items.  Korax was thanked for his help with a lifetime's supply of darts before Inti went to sell equipment at Nashkel.  While there Oublek was told Inti bore no resemblance to an ex-bounty hunter called Greywolf and while distracted was fobbed off with a single emerald from Prism.  Neira was the latest to be nibbled to death by Kon (his saliva, like some reptiles, obviously contains an anaesthetizing substance meaning victims don't realise they're being bitten).

Moving into the Cloudpeaks, Sendai could have been another nibble victim, but that was taking a long time and Inti helped out with the wand of frost - that killed her, but fortunately didn't chunk her equipment.  Both her archer friends were chunked by another blast, but they had nothing worthwhile anyway.  Kon stayed on the encounter point to stop any new enemies spawning while Inti went to reunite Rufie with his owner.  After Vax was lured away from his partner Inti used a couple of necklace fireballs on Zal from out of sight.

Caldo & Krumm were darted, while Drienne was happy to pay the last of her allowance to Inti for retrieving her cat's body.  Kon successfully ran invisible interference allowing Inti to dart Gnarl & Hairtooth on the way to find the xvarts treasure.  The wand of sleep only affected 1 of the 4 in the cave, but the others went down quickly anyway at the cost of a scratch for Kon.  A mountain bear then proved vulnerable to the wand of frost, although the bulk of damage on it was done by darts.  A merchant promised much, but his 50 gp reward didn't even cover Inti's expenses.

On the way to sell things at High Hedge Kon had another filling meal by nibbling on Borda.  Inti collected a skull to try and revive Melicamp, but I mis-clicked on the conversation option and the chance was lost.  Some half-ogres to the south were harvested for Bjornin, while Inti got to level 7 with the help of a necklace blast on Teyngan's party - regrettably the downward trend in HP results continued with just 3 this time.

Helping Brage back to Nashkel got Inti's reputation to 19 and he headed north for the first time.  An ogre was darted for its belts on the way to the FAI where Joia got her ring back and Tarnesh became the latest to be nibbled by Kon.

North again and some ill-mannered fishermen were darted on general principles.  Inside the ankheg nest Kon started casting invisibility well before Inti grabbed some treasure, in order to disappear before a nearby ankheg could start attacking.  A bit further north and Tenya had a couple of spells fail before deciding perhaps she should just accept the bowl she said she wanted all along.  Inti had just enough money to buy everything potentially useful at Ulgoth's Beard.  With no reason to come back (and therefore no worries about hostile residents) he relieved Dushai of his ring as well.

At the lighthouse area some worgs were put to sleep for Ardrouine.  Then Inti emptied his necklace of missiles on the sirines and started on the fire wand from the ankheg nest (used a couple of greenstone amulet charges as well).  I didn't fancy Inti's chances against the golems so he just pinched their treasure.

At the archaeological site the familiar blocked the doomsayer - allowing Inti to use the greater reach of his staff to attack without retaliation.

Picked Samuel up and delivered him back to the FAI with only 1 ambush (which meant Kon could renew invisibility on the way as he had rested before starting the journey - Samuel can survive 1 rest).

Over to Durlag's Tower to get the tome there (with the Greenstone Amulet protecting against the charm trap).  Blasting a couple of battle horrors with the wand of frost got Inti to level 8 and a decent 5 more HPs.

The last side area to be explored before going to the Nashkel mines was the Valley of the Tombs.  Inti dodged the revenant to get the potions from that tomb and then pulled the ghasts out for easy darting.  The wand of monster summoning they were guarding was put to immediate use against Narcillicus.

Edited by Grond0, 16 February 2014 - 11:06 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Ælfthryth killed the ogre north of Beregost and it was then that I thought of a new tactic. I put on the gender-bending belt and went to Nemphre. Because of the belt she gave me the quest to get the amulet from Arkion. I blinded Arkion, killed him, got the reward from Nemphre and killed her. They were too dangerous to be left alive! Ælfthryth then went to the Friendly Arms Inn where he was given some anti-poison vials to help in killing some spiders. (Used "Friends" three times)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Looking good, Grond0, keep it up. Nice idea for Nemphre there wise - but since you could always recruit a male NPC for just a moment, was hardly necessary...I'm usually at the level cap when I hit the big City, so I usually just go for rep quests and upgrades only, so don't do Nemphre when solo.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Dostoevsky has wiped the bandit camp. Taugosz was eliminated with a web and 2 skull traps. I know that skull trap is more powerful than fireball, but it's important that you can get fire in a wand. It has a much larger area of effect and it doesn't have to be triggered, so you can, for instance, walk into the bandit leader's tent and fire it behind them, and still hit all of them, avoid being hit yourself, and get Venkt before he casts his first spell. Dostoevsky rested between cleaning the outside and then attacking the tent. It seemed a little cheap but he was down to just 6 casts. The 4 bandit leaders were taken out with more webs. Can't wait til L9 and he adds phase spiders and haste to the arsenal.

Dostoevsky repurchased the wand of monster summoning (now it has 100 uses!) for 28k. It had gotten him out of a tight spot when he took on the flesh golems. After the first flesh golem started chasing Dostoevsky across the map and he found his magic completely useless, only several uses of the wand of monster summoning distracted the monstrosity long enough for Dostoevsky to get in a few swipes with his only enchanted weapon, the staff of Aule. He entered the cave, did a mirror image, and hastily grabbed the loot before the other monster reacted. Soon after that he made sure to buy some +1 bullets.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 37 - (update 3)
Slough, halfling swashbuckler (Grond0) & Varrel, human paladin (Gate70)

The bandit camp ended our last run, but this time it wasn't too bad.  After Varrel hacked his way through the external bandits he used a charge of the Greenstone Amulet and briefly went inside the main tent before withdrawing again.  The enemies followed and took a bit of trap damage before Slough used missile fire to help Varrel finish things off.

In the Cloakwood Slough's ability to disarm traps meant free action wasn't necessary for the web traps.  However, Varrel still wanted Spiders' Bane as his main weapon so the duo went into Centeol's lair.  That proved troublesome when a sword spider and 2 giant spiders fastened onto Slough and he had to run round for quite a while before Varrel finished his enemies and was able to come to the rescue.  There was no more action until the mine where Varrel again used the amulet and charged the mages while Slough provided ranged support.  Their spells kept them going for a while, but both died before the amulet charge expired and Drasus and Genthore didn't last long after that.

The mine was pretty straight-forward with the duo sneaking past Hareishan and down to Daveorn.  Disarming the traps meant no battle horrors, so Varrel just charged Daveorn after using a potion of magic blocking.  That protected against the direct damage spells, but had run out by the time Daveorn got around to using dire charm.  That was a potential problem as Daveorn then moved round and, discovering Slough, started casting what was probably hold person.  Fortunately Slough had an invisibility potion on him and pulled a disappearing act until Varrel came to his senses and returned to finish Daveorn off.  Getting out of the mine proved a slight problem as Varrel exited during the cut-scene, but Slough did not.  Varrel had to bravely teleport himself back into the flooded area in order to make up the full party and allow an exit.

In the City the duo picked up the tomes, along with the ogre gauntlets and Balduran's Helm & Cloak.  The only fight where Varrel took major damage was against Larze.  He would also have been confused by the spell Marek cast just before he died if he hadn't used an amulet charge.  Slough sneaked into the Iron Throne to find what has been going on and the duo have just been sent on an errand to Candlekeep.

Stats:
Slough, swashbuckler 8, 49 HPs, 117 kills
Varrel, paladin 7, 86 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 206 kills, 0 deaths

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Inti - elf wild mage (update 3)

The Nashkel mines were traversed invisibly, with Kon taking the damage from the traps (healed without risk of a surge due to auto-casting of Bhaal healing while invisibly resting).  Mulahey was softened up with the wand of frost before being darted without giving him the chance to talk.

The amazons were killed using wand fireballs, although Zeela did start casting at one point after Maneira ran away scared and then recovered in sight of Inti. I didn't bother going invisible again after that combat and Inti paid the price by being hit for the second time in the run by an ambushing dog.

Nimbul nearly caused the end of the run - again as a result of morale failure.  An opening wand scorcher made him run, but he ran under the doorway of the inn where Inti couldn't get at him.  Kon did manage a couple of hits on him, but then he recovered and cast a horror spell - which somehow managed to affect not just Kon, but also Inti who was out of sight behind the inn.  Nimbul cast 2 lots of magic missiles at Kon, almost killing him, but fortunately the fairy dragon kept running one way and left Nimbul behind; meanwhile Inti ran the other.  Once both had recovered they went invisible and returned to finish off Nimbul before the soldiers could do it - Kon talked to the nearby soldiers to make sure none of them wandered into the active scorcher.

Tranzig also tried running from the effects of a scorcher, but he failed to recover before being darted to death.  Moving on to the bandit camp Inti sanitised the area outside the main tent with fire and frost (being hit a couple more times by bandit arrows in the process).  Inside he used the Greenstone Amulet and then, surprisingly, managed to hit all 4 enemies with a frost blast before running out.  With invisibility renewed a second blast killed Venkt and Raemon - persuading Inti to remain inside and dart the others to death while Kon acted as invisible blocker.  A potion of absorption let him open the chest safely.

After learning some scrolls (using potions of genius), Inti continued on the main quest by passing invisibly through the Cloakwood.  The guards at the bridge were darted, while the party soaked up a couple of fireballs before Drasus chased after Inti.  A couple of scorchers while he was running finished Drasus and Inti then moved invisibly through the mine down to Daveorn.  He was injured by the traps, but pulled the battle horrors back to be finished by blasts from the wand of frost.  Then a potion of magic blocking and a Green Amulet charge provided protection and set things up for a dart finish (level 9 - +3 HPs).  He beat up the mustard jelly with his staff, though he was criticalled once.  At about the 12th attempt he managed to rest again and shortly afterwards the mine was flooded.

More invisible travel saw Inti arrive safely in Baldur's Gate.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Dostoevsky, elven sorceror, has flooded the Cloakwood Mines. The woods themselves were easy with the ring of free action worn at all times. He got a double wvyern ambush but walked to the edge without incident. I started to take things more slowly at the Mines. There's a definite step up in difficulty with could screw me over especially with my dim meta-game memory. Drasus and co. turned out to be a pushover with several webs deployed.

Dostoevsky tried to sneak through the 2nd level, freeing Rill and meeting Yeslick, but there's a single guard in the last room before the stairs down, and a magic missile attack actually caused a successful cry for help! Another guard walked in, and since Dostoevsky was unprepared, he retreated to the cell-block and executed one of the most powerful spells in the Baldur's Gate D&D engine: he shut the door.

With protections up, he opened the door, and there was Hareishan standing waiting for him...although only with two backup guards. Amazingly another black talon elite walked all the way round the back way through the secret tunnel entrance, but none of these hacks lasted long. With almost the whole level cleared, Dostoevsky gave thought to maybe clearing it all out. He was 20k XP away from his last level up, and he missed the experience of going through a dungeon and leveling up towards the end, and getting the kick of accomplishment and power.

So he cleaned out the L3 as well, excepting the ogre mage. He would have taken on the ogre, probably, except he almost lost his life fighting Natasha. I'd forgotten how high a level she was. My plan was to walk into the room and wand a fireball at her before she could finish casting her first spell. But I guess the combat round where Dostoevsky had cast his own mirror image hadn't quite ended when he made his entrance, because the fireball was delayed and Natasha got off her mirror image.

Then I saw how many images she created (7 or 8 I think), and I was a little spooked, because I didn't know what she might have up her sleeve at such a high level and Dostoevsky couldn't interrupt her spell-casting until he'd destroyed several images, which would take at least two rounds worth of magic missiles. So instead of incanting a spell his next round, he fired a bullet to kill the attendant hobgoblin elite, and stepped slowly back, waiting to see what would come and to give him the freedom to defend against it.

Immediately Natasha started casting what turned out to be confusion. Hastily Dostoevsky pulled the ESP amulet out of the gem bag and activated it, but it took too long, and he got confused. He still had 4 stoneskins and 4 mirror images, but Natasha had him at her mercy. She fired at least 2 Melf's Acid Arrows, which got underneath his skins, and something else I can't remember, then she hit him with Larloch's minor drain, and I started to breathe easier, because it meant she was almost out of spells. Dostoevsky regained mental control when he was down to 9 HPs, immediately going invisible while Natasha was casting the last spell she had memorized. He walked away, healed himself, reprepared, and killed her.

L4 was comparatively easy. The battle horrors were both blinded, both on the first attempt, as corey_russell suggested. Couldn't remember what Daveorn might have up, so drank a potion of magic blocking and used the wand of monster summoning twice, which ate up his spell book. He eventually summoned a dire wolf which faced off against my own wolves, but died soon after. And what do you know, killing him got Dostoevsky to L9, where he picked Knock, Haste, and Spider Summons. He then tested out his new arachnid allies on Ioan Gallchobhair and his buddies, with outstanding results. A failed save vs phase spider poison seems to hit forr 10 HPs / round.

Edited by cuttysark, 17 February 2014 - 08:08 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Inti - elf wild mage (4th and final update)

In the City Inti picked up the dexterity tome and then convinced Jalantha he needed the wisdom tome.  He then made sure he wouldn't die of poison (quickly killing the confused gnolls to protect his reputation).

He used strength to open Ramazith's door (first spell with a risk of a surge since find familiar in Candlekeep) and then scorched the mage.  The Tower was climbed invisibly to recover the tome.  A similar approach was used to investigate the Iron Throne before Inti was sent back to Candlekeep.

At Candlekeep Kon got out of the backpack briefly, for the first time in a while, to run the doppleganger round while Inti darted it.  He then took the violet potion (followed by a potion of fortitude to put his constitution back up) and kicked open the tombs.  Used a potion of absorption, plus a green scroll for fire protection and regeneration to heal other trap damage.  The spiders were killed with wand of fire / darts while Inti wore the ring of free action to protect against the web trap.  A potion of invisibility saw her past the dopplegangers and Prat, but she used another green scroll to kill the basilisks.

Back in the City Inti stayed out of sight while summoned monsters dealt with Slythe.  At the palace Inti potioned up and put out some summoned monsters.  He used wand of paralysation and darts of stunning to try and control the dopplegangers.  I thought he might need to resort to running upstairs when none of the dopplegangers attacked him initially.  However, several were distracted by summons and, though Liia died early on, Inti remained downstairs to deal with the others.  He made sure he was close to Sarevok to act as a target - to prevent him from attacking Belt - until the big man teleported away.

Inti used summons to kill the enemies in the maze, along with fire and lightning protection against the traps before taking a detour (to avoid the Undercity party) to get to the temple.  There he ran through the lightning traps while his potion was still active, then pulled Sarevok out by shooting a magic missile from his wand and immediately retreating.  Sarevok was then fed a steady diet of summons, while Inti threw darts in support, until he had finally had enough.

Coming back through the maze Inti triggered a lightning trap that he had obviously managed to skip over on the way through.  Fortunately I was awake to the danger and a magic blocking potion allowed him to continue unharmed.  Before reporting back to Belt Inti bought a few more spells from Sorcerous Sundries. 

He has now arrived safely in Jon's dungeon.  Here's his record at the end of BG1.  He got a total of 160 kills - using about 1,400 darts in the process.

Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 17 February 2014 - 08:09 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grats Grond0! Best of luck in BG 2/ToB