Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Reem the solo dwarven fighter/cleric entering trilogy no-reload challenge...

Reem was named to Reem, with the hope he might ream his opponents (especially dragons...). He's up to -6 AC - still doesn't have his magical warhammer yet, he doesn't want to trade hold persons with Basiluss and not quite enough HP to make the journey to Ulgoth's beard..need a bit more cash anyways with my low charisma. No close calls so far...

STR 18/85 DEX 17 CON 19 INT 11 WIS 18 CHA 2

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Melissan this time Grond0.

Nice play so far Cuttysark.

Melchom

Melchom
  • Members
  • 73 posts
 After a long exam related break I'm back to make another BG:EE attempt. 

Name: Tsaerik
Race: Human
Alignment: NE
Class: Blackguard
Str: 18/38; Dex:18; Con: 18; Int: 10; Wis: 13; Cha: 18. 
Proficiencies: Quarterstaff **; Two Handed Weapon *; Two Handed Sword *. 

Chapter One

Unlike my normal evil runs I leave Monty and Xzar by the roadside *sniff* and instead head directly to Beregost via High Hedge after looting Imoen and the terrible twosome.

Kagain's offer of employment is accepted (is it my imagination or does his offer vary depending on your charisma?)  and I decide to risk taking on Silke so I can get my hands on a magic weapon for my Blackguard early. I had purchased a composite bow in Candlekeep so passed the wand of magic missiles to Kagain. His job was to hit Silke with the wand to interrupt her spellcasting while I activiated the Blackguard poison ability and shoot her with the bow. It all went according to plan and she went down quickly aided by an axe to the face from Kagain :) 

Next the party claimed the easy XP from talking down Marl and passing the book to the old mage from Candlekeep. After a spot of spider hunting I got a bit overconfident and decided to rescue Neera. The encounter went according to plan until the Red Wizard managed to launch a melf's acid arrow and kill Kagain which forced my Blackguard into retreat. After picking off the mage's guards with the bow Tsaerik inched back into range of the wizard who opened with grease (!? not sure I've ever seen this used before by an enemy mage) and then found himself transformed into a pin cushion. *phew*. 

After a bit of inventory management I popped into the temple to resurrect my less than invincible dwarf minion and then finished off the assassin lurking in the inn to give Kagain an armour upgrade. By this point I had just enough gold to buy Kagain's Axe +1 before hitting the road. 

My plan is to add as many evil NPC's as can reappear in BG2 - so Edwin, Viconia and Dorn were all on my recruitment list with Shar-Teel to handle thieving duties and knifework :) All but Edwin start at level 2 so I had to head south to pick him up ASAP.

By this point my PC had already reached enough xp to make level 2 however I resisted the temptation to level up and marched south to Nashkal bypassing any encounters at this point. 

Chapter Two

Some Meta cannot be resisted so I picked up the ankheg plate for Kagain and added my own Red Wizard to the party. Given that my Reputation was worryingly high at this point (11!!) I knew I could not rest until some evil had been done unless I wanted to miss out on an evil bhaal spawn ability. However I foolishly headed to the mines forgetting that I needed to visit the Friendly Arm Inn before the Dorn encounter will occur. On the plus side I cleared the Mines surface map and crossed Greywolf and lived. However Edwin didn't which necessitated a visit to the Temple before we could continue north towards Beregost. 

This time the areas north of Nashkal and south of Beregost were cleansed (the former containing 2 vampiric wolves - lucky PC & Kagain were now Level 2 and both had magic weapons). The wand of missiles was passed to Edwin who blasted away while Kagain took the heat and my Blackguard hammered away with the Quarterstaff. Possibly a bit foolhardy given that the vampiric wolves can paralyse and kill low level characters fairly quickly if luck turns against you. However what do we say to the God of Death? ;) And the XP helped Edwin who at level 1 is very vulnurable. 

However back in Beregost the party needed some rest. Slaying Algernon for his cloak took the party down to a more manageable reputation of 7 and sleep could be had :) With a ring of protection, shield and the ankheg plate Kagain was looking more comfortable in his role as tank and heading north we completed his quest, killed the ogre, saw an old man with a pointed hat and made it to the Friendly Arm Inn. 

Edited by Melchom, 17 February 2014 - 08:52 PM.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts
My efforts @ descending into the mines, discovering the secret & bringing the culprits to their knees were hampered by incompetents & incompetence all around me. I am astounded @ the # of times I have to drag one or the other of their equipment out to take them to Nalin @ the Temple of Helm. Even Kagain has taken his share of **** slaps that knocked him senseless & crippled my front line time & again. My spellcasters/sages, who I expected to add a heck of a punch, don’t know any spells other than ‘bringing a rabbit out of a hat,’ which, frankly, sucks against Kobolds w/s/bows. I should have a pantaloon load of gold stored away but between raisin’ my ‘inner circle’ & buying potions so that I can delay raisin’ them is suckin’ gold out of my pouch faster than Edwin can throw out insults. Eldoth makes these ‘poison arrows’ which I thought were really cool but I’ve determined they’re poisoned feathers rather than arrow heads. Montaron the Assassin contributed by finding a couple of traps & fighting more like a berserker than an assassin @ times. Still progress through the first two levels & into the 3rd was painful. Finally, after a challenging battle in level 3 against a score of Kobolds, about half of which carried s/bows, I finally was able to pull these knuckleheads together & make of myself the reputation I deserve…I am to be feared. 

Posted Image
Destroying the Half-assed Half-Orc

Key Event: Praise Baator’s blessings, I found the source of the corrupt iron emitting from the mines to be a Half-Orc named Mulahey. I found him in a cave four levels deep in the mines. He summoned a dozen Kobolds & a half-dozen or so Skeletons to aid him but my servants fought well despite themselves. I stood off to the side to assess their skills & look for an opportunity to move in for the kill on the Half-Orc. Edwin tossed a Grease spell & everyone was up to their ankles in goo but that included Mulahey. I stayed in the side cave until things were manageable. No need to bring myself to unnecessary harm when I feed, arm, & pay these fools to serve me. Kagain went into his Beserk state, Montaron poisoned his s/sword & Xzar cast his favorite spell, Chill Touch & all three closed on Mulahey while his ‘minions’ were wading in Grease. I cast my Aura of Despair, Doom & Larlock’s Minor Drain from off to the side before I moved in to kill Mulahey w/o being hampered by the same Grease he was. I think it was poison from one of Eldoth’s special arrows that finally dropped Mulahey.   Mopping up his minions was easy.  

Posted Image
nimbul the assassin? Ha

After visiting that hypocrite Kelddath @ the Temple of the Morning to fix a reputation problem, I sold the loot, used the magic in the Tome of Leadership & Influence before heading back to Nashkel to be honored as well I should. An assassin named Nimbul attacked me. Ha! Like a fly, I swatted him to his death w/little help from my servants. My Aura of Despair & Doom combined w/a well placed Charm person from one of my wizards made Nimbul easy pickin’s. 

I seem to be receiving power from multiple sources but my loyalty lies in the Nine Hells. Posted Image
I still wrestle w/which Arch-Duchess, Glasya, Lord of the Sixth, or Fierna (who shares the 4th w/Belial) that I ultimately serve...& desire. My lusting heart is torn between the two powerful, diabolical, & carnal Arch-duchesses . I hope my actions please them both…& that neither knows of my indecisiveness or suspects my divided loyalty. 

Treasure of Note: Tome of Leadership & Influence (Me); Short Sword +1 (Montaron); Scrolls (Magic Missile, Blindness, el al)

Current Disposition:  Letting my servants revel @ the Nashkel Inn

Next Steps:
Valley of the Tombs; onward to find Edwin’s Witch

Level Up: Kagain improved to Fighter(Berserker)/2; Edwin increased to Mage(Conjuror)/2 & he memorized a 2nd Charm Person to add to his twice memorized Grease spells; Eldoth’s talents now rank him as a Sonneteer (Bard/3) & he memorized Sleep; Xzar to Mage (Necromancer)/2 memorized; Montaron is now a Waghalter (Assassin/3) & can now F/Traps @ 40%; Baator has seemed please to raise me to Malefactor (Anti-Paladin/3) & I was granted Doom & from, elsewhere, a 2nd Larloch’s Minor Drain. 

Current Party: (Reputation: 5 - Disliked)
Front-de-Boeuf,
Ftr (A-Pdn)/3: Pl/Mail w/Flail** (SWS**, 2-HS*)
                18/49, 18, 18, 13, 16, 18*
                *Rng of H/I
Kagain, Ftr(Bkr)/2: Sp/Mail w/B/Axe** & T/Axe** (2WS**)
Montaron, Thf(Asn)/3: St/Leather & S/Shld w/S/Swd+1* (SSS*)
Eldoth, Bard/3: S/Bow* & Dgr*
Xzar: Mage(Ncr)/2, Club* & Dgr/T/Knife*
Edwin: Mage(Cjr)/2 w/Q/Staff

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

http://www.bobsenk.c...ntipaladin.html (this link goes to an old Dungeon Mag article on the Anti-Paladin – from the p&p days). 

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 18 February 2014 - 01:06 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 37 - (4th and final update)
Slough, halfling swashbuckler (Grond0) & Varrel, human paladin (Gate70)

The trip to renew their acquaintance with Candlekeep saw the duo quickly thrown into prison.  Fortunately someone had neglected to put a ceiling on the jail cell and they were able to escape into the catacombs.  With the luxury of being able to disarm traps they soon looted the tombs and moved into the doppleganger area.  This proved easy with the exception of the greater doppleganger.  Varrel was tanking him with no problem when his morale broke and he decided to berserkly attack Slough instead!  3 hits in rapid succession saw a surprised swashbuckler running away until Varrel could get a killing blow in.

Varrel tanked Prat's party with no difficulty thanks to a potion of absorption, the Green Amulet and free action from Spiders' Bane.  A green scroll allowed him to chop down the basilisks on the way out.

Back in the City, Slythe was pulled away from Krystin for easy disposal and the duo moved on to the palace.  Varrel tanked the dopplegangers there while Slough slowed them up with dispelling arrows.  Although they were defeated pretty quickly they did manage to kill Liia.  Slough tried to offer himself as a target for Sarevok, but the big man still got one chop in on Belt before teleporting away - fortunately without fatal result.

Varrel got a bit impatient waiting for Slough to catch up in the maze and went to find an invisible stalker to kill in addition to the normal menagerie.  Slough finally got to make a contribution in the Undercity by stealth-shooting arrows of detonation at the party there.

In the temple Sarevok was tempted out by shooting at him from extreme range.  However, as usual in BGT Semaj teleported out in support of him.  He was immediately subjected to dispelling arrows, but survived a surprisingly long time before dying - forcing Slough to use a potion of magic blocking to foil an attack on him.  Varrel chose to melee Sarevok and just managed to outlast him.

We forgot that the final save prevented any further exploration and hence moved on to BG2 without the pantaloons in our possession.

Stats:
Slough, swashbuckler 9, 55 HPs, 133 kills
Varrel, paladin 7, 86 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 241 kills, 0 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Reem the solo fighter/cleric update

Reem is at the level cap (level 7 fighter/level 7 cleric) - he's working on the main story line now, crashing the bandit camp next.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
A lot of interesting posts there!

Khalid and Jaheira, Xzar and Montaron wanted to go to Nashkel, so took them. Unfortunately on the way we were attacked and Xzar was killed.

Left the others n Nashkel to get on with their business whilst killed some spiders in Beregost. With the reward plus some gold already had, raised Xzar as felt rather responsible for his death. We then went to the coast for a break as he was still under the weather. He must have been feeling a bit better, for when he saw a comely maiden he set a skull trap so he wouldn’t be disturbed whilst he “kissed” her. However, he wasn’t a very good judge of character and she killed him. After threatening her, she brought him back to life, but right where the skull trap was. He died again. Therefore killed the maiden and her consort. Had no money to raise him again, and this time felt no responsibility to raise him again.

Upon going to the coast, came across a mad mage and charmed him so that he would help fight carrion crawlers and ogres. He was a good fighter, but was not quick enough to heal him when he was injured.

After being attacked by sirene, the next port of call was the carnival where sold some loot and bought some bullets.

Went Ankheg hunting and took 16 shells to Beregost.

The mines were easily overcome as was Mulahey. Web plus the wand of fire made his demise predictable.
Web plus the wand of fire made the assassins’’ demise predictable also. Xan was used as a porter and now the bandit camp is on the agenda.

Edited by Grimwald the Wise, 18 February 2014 - 07:45 PM.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Update on Dostoevsky the Level 9 Elven Sorceror:

He's made it through the Candlekeep Catacombs. Baldur's Gate was a cinch. I get irritated with the poison quests so I didn't bother Marek at the Blushing Mermaid. All I wanted was the cloak of Balduran, the tome of understanding, and the tome of insight. So Dostoevsky went to Degrodel to get introduced to Vail and thus to Quenash. The battle in Degrodel's house was odd--I had forgotten about the invisible stalkers, so when he walked to a part of the room to give himself space to cast web away from the helmed horrors, he found himself wedged in between two invisible stalkers, unable to move. He was well-protected with stoneskin, mirror image, and a full spellbook, but felt a little insecure. But nothing a casting of web and phase spiders and haste couldn't take care of.

Since he wasn't doing the poison quest, he needed to kill the priest of Tymora for the Tome of Understanding. He prepped for a tough battle, since there was both the priest and his assistant there, and he wasn't sure of their level. But he'd already discovered earlier that day, when he had killed the wizard with the tome of insight, that casting web near a neutral NPC doesn't make them aggro, so he cast web plus a couple of spiders. The spiders then killed the priest very quickly. Oddly neither the priest nor his assistant went hostile the whole time. I can only guess that they don't go hostile either because my summons attacked them, or possibly it was specifically because he died from poison, not a direct attack.

Anyway, reputation dropped from 15 to 9, but that was just perfect, because with chapter 6 about to begin, I wanted Dostoevsky to get Vampiric Touch rather than DUHM. Went invisible through the Iron Throne.

The plot of BG1 holds up better than BG2. The story flows from place to place rationally, and learning more and more about your enemy is beautifully tied into a set of increasingly difficult boss battles. BG2 feels like a hollywood thriller, travelling around the known world to epic locations barely strung together on plot threads. But the one thing that always irritates me in BG1 is that it is impossible to tell Tethoril or Ulraunt that there are dopplegangers in Candlekeep, even after you encounter them.

Anyway, the Catacombs were finished neatly. Dostoevsky used the Catacomb entrance library several times for sleeping. The phase spiders in front of the tome of strength are a real menace to a mage with 0 AC. Summoned a spider of his own which briefly occupied 5 of them, giving him time to cast a skull trap. That ended up killing his own spider but severely weakening the others. With the boots of speed he was able to escape safely, then summoned two more spiders and slowly took them all down. It's weird that spiders aren't immune to spider poison.

Walked invisibly past the greater dopplegangers and Prat. Travelled to Durlag's Tower briefly to complete Dostoevsky's collection of Tomes.

Edited by cuttysark, 18 February 2014 - 10:23 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Looks good Cuttysark! Keep up the concentration, you wouldn't want to fall so close to the end.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Reem the solo fighter/cleric - Chapters 4 & 5

Reem is just about to report to Duke Eltan to be sent to Candlekeep.  Here is a brief account of his progress:

* Drassus and team were defeated by skeletons, silence x2 and hold person x2 and of course Reem's sling. Reem doesn't use his sling much, preferring to use his two warhammers in melee.
* Heirashan defeated by spamming the necklace of missiles - Reem did protect himself before-hand, just in case via buffs.
* Davaeorn's battle horrors were defeated by wand of heavens, necklace of missiles and a potion of explosions and then finished off in melee. Despite all of this, Reem took big damage from those things. Daveorn himself, Reem buffed to the max and charged with his two warhammers - this was successful.
* Very little to do in chapter 5 - in fact, there only 3 pieces of equipment wanted - the great shield for doing the errand for the Priest of Tymora, helm of balduran, and the +1 cloak found in the chest at the zombie farm - the cloak was wanted to put ring of fire resistance where the +1 ring was - this ring is quite helpful in the final chapters.
* Dex tome picked up - finally the gauntlets of dexterity can be sold, and Melium's bracers put there instead. Melium of course could do litte to resist doom and hold person, though he did get some good hits in before he went down.
* Wisdom Tome in the Temple of Tymora was NOT picked up - with Reem's 3 CHA, he can't convince them to give it to them voluntarily, and can't pick-pocket them and doesn't want to lose rep by killing them. Also Garrick wouldn't join for a moment because Silke was dead before talking to Garrick. However, Reem DID use sanctuary x2 and greenstone amulet to get the wisdom tome in Durlag's Tower.
* Reem used Sanctuary x2 to get the INT tome, not that this important. just for the heck of it, he used DUHM to see if he could bash open that desk, and he could! He only had 20 STR will keep in that mind for other solo runs with non-thiefs. Reem left Razamith alone, since he intends to use the +2 cloak for the final chapters.
* Iron Throne - since he's cleric, Reem can't use arrows of detonation. He could use a pro magic scroll, but his HP not quite as good as a fighter. Besides, the main advantage of being a cleric in the first place is the spells, Reem decided to skip that. He used sanctuary to get to the back room, summoned 5 skeletons, buffed all he could that wasn't real short, sent the skeletons forward and did 2x silence and 2x hold persons. After 4 rounds his pets were dead. Reem fired a necklace of missiles charge and retreated into the back room. He got a bit lucky as the first person to show themself was a ranged person, which meant they stood in the doorway and blocked their fellows! Reem used his sling, crept forward and yes, the next guy blocks his fellows as well! Reem thus managed to fight them all one by one. He took some damage, but nothing his blue potions couldn't fix. This is my first successful solo of any of my cleric classes, mutli or otherwise of the Iron Throne 5th floor.

Reem got what he needed, rested and is heading to Candlkeep keep next - maybe he can find evidence on these Iron Throne guys there...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
* Wisdom Tome in the Temple of Tymora was NOT picked up - with Reem's 3 CHA, he can't convince them to give it to them voluntarily, and can't pick-pocket them and doesn't want to lose rep by killing them.

Do you not get an option to pay 500 gold in vanilla?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...
* Wisdom Tome in the Temple of Tymora was NOT picked up - with Reem's 3 CHA, he can't convince them to give it to them voluntarily, and can't pick-pocket them and doesn't want to lose rep by killing them.

Do you not get an option to pay 500 gold in vanilla?

I'm in EasyTutu - isn't that CHA too, or does work regardless of your character? I vaguely recall him not accepting that, but it's a long time - do you use that option often with low CHA characters yourself?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Reem the dwarven solo fighter/cleric - FINAL Update!
Reem - level 7 fighter/level 7 cleric, 70  HP (with HoB)

Reem has solved the issues in Chapter 7 - he used the same set of buffs for Cythrandria, Slythe and the Dopplegangers at Duchal Palace. Palace also had blessed, chanted skeletons assisting and DUHM to put his strength at 25. The maze was skipped via invis potion.

Reem wasn't sure how to deal with Sarevok - at this point, he was thankful for being part fighter, because he didn't see how his cleric skills were going to pull the day. Regardless, he opened with a necklace of missiles charge and all the enemies came - he only got two skeletons and they were killed fast. Reem tried dual-wielding but was quickly forced to retreat after Semaj dispelled Reem's buffs - Reem went invisible and rebuffed. He sent an animal toward the enemies position, hoping Angelo would get himself killed by his buddies - he did!

Reem comes in for another round of dual-wielding hammers, and got Sarevok near death, but Reem was near death himself and ran for his life and tried to go invisible but his aura wasn't clear and here came a Semaj lightning bolt! Oh that's right used a potion of absorption, no damage, whew.
Posted Image
 Reem uses his last invis potion to heal up, and prepares for his final attempt with his dual-wielding hammers. This attack he also blessed and chanted himself - Reem's first hit of 23 damage...slays Sarevok! Woohoo!
Posted Image
Reem will be solo in BG 2 as well.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done on beating up Sarevok.  I'll look forward to some reaming of Melissan in due course!

corey_russell wrote...
I'm in EasyTutu - isn't that CHA too, or does work regardless of your character? I vaguely recall him not accepting that, but it's a long time - do you use that option often with low CHA characters yourself?

I'm reasonably sure that option works with any character, though it's a long time since I played EasyTutu.

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Dostoevsky, L9 Elven Sorceror.

It's over.

The battle with Slythe was the weirdest of all the battles in this run. Dostoevsky pumped himself up with potions and spells, faced down Slythe, and then just before Slythe strikes for the first time, he drank a potion of magic blocking...having forgotten the small print where it removes all my magic protections. So there was Dostoevsky, totally defenceless. Glad he learned his lesson before the final battle. Slythe got in one hit, and Dostoevsky ran with his boots of speed, all the way through the sewers, up to E. Baldur's Gate, with Slythe still racing after him. Escaped outside the city limits, rested, returned invisibly (the Flaming Fist was also after him still) found Slythe's location still chilling behind Sorcerous Sundries, hit him with several webs, which involved running round the circus a number of times when Slythe made several saving throws.

Dostoevsky entered the Ducal Palace with some trepidation. He brought a full contingent of hasted spiders and monsters with him. When the doppelgangers broke cover he fired a slow spell. 3 of the 6 failed their save, which evened the odds. Three of them went straight for Belt and the duchess. Dostoevsky stood next to Belt the whole time and used his two Bhaal-power cure light wounds on him. Victory came soon, though Liia died. Dostoevsky positioned himself between Belt and Sarevok at the end, and Sarevok simply went after a spider before we all mobbed him. I think all the guards survived as well. If I had a cleric and a mage, I would have cast freedom on Belt, and then cast web, which would make the battle a cinch.

The maze was navigated invisibly with a few resistance scrolls activated. Dostoevsky also bypassed the Iron Throne guys.

The final battle...Dostoevsky souped up on enough magic to make a grown man cry for his mama. Something like 12 potions and 8 scrolls. Entering the temple of Bhaal, he summoned his spiders, threw in a few hobgoblins, hasted them, and walked towards Sarevok. Interestingly in the EE Semaj fires off a spell contingency (Greater Malison) as soon as Sarevok goes hostile, even though Semaj is out of range. Dostoevsky must have walked over a trap too, because a cloudkill appeared, and a few other things. But at this point his magic resistance was 80%, so he shrugged it all off.

All 4 of the baddies engaged, plus a battle horror. Must be a reworked AI from the Enhanced Edition. I prefer it that way anyway. The summons were going down quickly. But Semaj and Sarevok were there first, and Dostoevsky pulled out the trick, two scrolls, he'd been saving ever since he arrived at Baldur's Gate. He fired Greater Malison, followed by Chaos, which is a cumulative -8 to save. And Sarevok and Semaj both got confused! A spider also poisoned Semaj inside his mirror images, though I think Angelo's arrows finished the mage off.

Anyway, Dostoevsky ran around a bit to avoid Sarevok's puzzled blade, but soon Sarevok pummeled Angelo to death, followed by the battle horror, followed by Tazok (Tazok gave him what for as well). Dostoevsky was still pumped up on magic at this point, although he regretted casting his last spider in the hopes of poisoning Sarevok, because that meant he also had no more stoneskins.

But not to worry. Sarevok's confusion wore off soon after Tazok was on the floor, so Dostoevsky firs went invisible, then threw some monsters at him, and while Sarevok dealt with the gnolls, Dostoevsky tried out the wand of paralyzation for the first time. Sarevok failed on the second attempt, and was slashed to death quickly.

Victory!

A note on religion:

In Baldur's Gate, temples are benign, compared to their counterparts in Shadows of Amn. In BG2, even the good-aligned temples come across as vaguely manipulative. Religion is a source of power, not a source of healing. But in BG1, temples, except for the temple of Umberlee, are peaceful places. Even the music is wonderfully serene, and the priests are generally honest and kind.

Edited by cuttysark, 20 February 2014 - 05:02 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grats Cuttysark! You continuing into Amn?

cuttysark

cuttysark
  • Members
  • 36 posts
Yep. A bit gun shy of a solo sorc run through BG2. I know the game, just not as well as I know BG1. I might make a BG2 sorc from scratch first and give it a test run. I might also consider bringing team members, especially Imoen for the traps in Irenicus's Dungeon.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well done, Corey & Cuttysark! Safe travels in Amn!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 20 February 2014 - 11:10 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Congratulations Cuttysark, Corey.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
Congrats on reaching Amn you two.

Aethelflaed is doing OK but has run into a bug again. Lots of areas have been reset. This means that the chest where he was storing all his goodies for future party members is empty. She lost Varscona, Plate mail +1, several scalps which were to be used when She had wyvern tails, several potions and scrolls. On the plus side, in another chest which she had just emptied, a belt and a pair of boots were found which means that she has two of each. In addition a tome has reappeared.

What to do? Just accept the game as it is, or use gatekeeper to rectify things as much as possible?

Marl also needed pacifying again. 900 free experience points.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 38 - (update 1)
George, half-elf ranger (Grond0) & Larua, half-elf mage (Gate70)

After giving the Enhanced Edition a decent try we've decided to go back to BGT for the time being.  Although there are some nice things about EE, it's much more buggy for MP and also generally rather more laggy - which makes combat considerably more difficult.

Having said that, there is always of course a need in any setup to concentrate on what you're doing - something I failed to do when writing up notes while travelling between areas almost at the start of the game.  As a result George was killed by some combination of the ambushing ogrillons and wild dogs.

We decided to give the same characters another start and they've done a bit better the second time following a route from Candlekeep to Shoal to Beregost to Nashkel to FAI to basilisk area.  Larua provided protection against petrification there and also made Kirian's party relatively easy by blinding Baerin and Lindin before the start of the conflict and incapacitating Kirian in a stinking cloud so that she died without taking any action.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Stats:
George, ranger 5, 42 HPs, 37 kills
Larua, mage 5, 24 HPs, 10 kills, 0 deaths

Edited by Grond0, 21 February 2014 - 07:14 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0, Gate70 - best of luck guys. Dogdancing and I will get to our MP run eventually, Dogdancing's been extremely busy or sick lately so not much chance to work on it just yet.

• Members
  • 981 posts
Hey guys & gals, what does this notice mean? I've been seeing it since before Christmas. When I sign on it reads:

"BSN ChangesXA couple of changes to make you aware of here on the BSN: Please note that
Blogs, Polls, and Albums are now Read-Only, ultimately to be phased out in the future
altogether. We apologize for any inconvenience, but are excited to deliver a new BSN
experience for you in the months ahead!"

Is this saying we're not going to be able to keep keeping our adventure reports going so we can follow what each other is doing? I like reading what you folks do and being able to share my fruitless efforts so you all know what not to do. lol

seriously, are we going to be able to keep this fun forum going? I note it says, "Blogs, Polls, and Albums". Is this 'forum' considered okay to continue?

CKT

Edited by Charlestonian Knight Templar, 22 February 2014 - 12:58 AM.

Kevin Lynch

Kevin Lynch
  • Members
  • 1,874 posts
There shouldn't be any issue with keeping these threads going. The forums have just been combined into one and made into a "legacy" area. While I can't say they'll keep them up forever, obviously, there's no reason to shut them down.

Now, if only I can wave down someone long enough to put my moderator status back on for the BG forums. Haha! :)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
It's good to hear from you Kevin. And thanks for reassuring us.

Btw. If you do get your moderator status back, could you help us change the title of this thread? We'd like to update it to make things clearer for newcomers.

Cheers,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 February 2014 - 02:26 AM.