Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Welcome Blackraven and may all your traps be successful!  I haven't got much experience with these new forums yet, but as far as I can tell you need to upload images to a hosting site (such as Photobucket) and then link to those.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Well met and welcome, Blackraven! I'm definitely looking forward for your run here (I followed some no-reloads on baldursgate forums but regrettably they all were abandoned pretty quick...).

And yes, you should upload your images to a hosting site and then post here a link as Grond0 pointed out.

Safe travels for your Huntress!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

CoreTalos the Priest of Talos with his Random Party - Update 7, disasters

Traveling with: Misty (kensai), Paja (berserker), Hanna (sorcerer)

Well, once we defeated Kirian's party we were the right levels for Ankheg Farm (level 6). However, Paja's HP just weren't up to the task, and got a disaster at the farm. Paja got hit with multiple criticals and died and anhkeg was then throwing spit. Out of desperation, both Hanna and CoreTalos fired a lightning bolt - this worked, but Hanna got one-shotted - now two party members dead. The main problem was that we could not carry the equipment. We tried to bash a few nearby chests, but they were too tough. So ended up using a strength potion on Misty to get the equipment to the ankheg nest cache area, took several trips. Then at FAI we resurrected our fallen and brought them back to the cache and re-quipped. We managed to clear the nest, but Paja came near death several times...We got the bowl for the little "girl" as she wanted. Just in case we ever have issues here again, Hanna knocked the nearby chests in the houses.

That was only one disaster. The next was when we tried to clear the basislisks area - first order of business was Mutamin, Paja had protection from petrifcation, resist fear and shield amulet - only problem? I didn't realize Mutamutin just piles melf after melf, with Paja's low HP, this was far too much to heal up from and she was slain. Doh! Hanna doesn't know protection from petrification yet...We then recruited Korax and CoreTalos used sanctuary to guide Korax to finish Mutamutin...I was hoping he could clear the nearby baslisks but there were too many and then a baslisk targeted CoreTalos! CoreTalos ran back to his party, cast animate dead x2 and by the time the baslisk arrived, it targeted the undead - with the help of the undead we were able to clear a path to Misty's body and get her stuff - we will have to abandon this area for now, just too dangerous. So Misty used a STR potion and we headed to FAI to resurrect...but got ambushed! Misty can't move but we won, she gulped another STR potion and headed to FAI...and yet another amush! This time CoreTalos carried the full plate once the ambushers dead and we didn't need the STR potion (woops, should have done this all along...). We get to FAI and resurrect sell and rest...the only good thing of all this Hanna got her first level 3 spell, fireball.

We've been trying to save up for Hanna's robe from Thalantyr, but it just hasn't been working out. May have to use that money for Greenstone amulet instead

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Good luck Blackraven.

Jezebel the Skald.
With Imoen, Rasaad, Dorn, Neera and Baeloth. Page 14.

We've cleared one area inside the Dark Moon temple but Dorn has been permanently blinded and as we chased Gamaz a fireball trap catches us and it is Neera's turn to die. We return to Nashkel temple to raise her and restore the sight of Dorn while we are there - but he can see by the time we arrive (so it must just last a long long time).

Rasaad curses as he tried a "big fisted" girdle and then we head after Gamaz again. Rasaad wavers but Dorn wades in and is stunned. Baeloth tries a dispel but Dorn is stuck fast and Baeloth fells Gamaz with Magic Missiles instead. Imoen and Neera give Rasaad a big hug while Dorn, Baeloth and myself cheer hearti(less)ly.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks Grond0 and Serg! And Gate70!
I'll start with a brief introduction, followed by my journal...
This is going to be a wall of text (which on the other forum was divided in different posts). I'm looking forward to any comments. Maybe I ought to be more concise?

Nelsy_zps730cd8d5.png

I. Introduction:

Nelsy Brightweather is a cheerful and rather naive young halfling, with no real interest in power but eager to go out and explore the world and to do good. She hopes to leave Candlekeep soon, and visit Gullykin, the nearest halfling village she's aware of, expecting to learn more about halfling culture and about herself because halflings are a rarity in Candlekeep, with her and her friend Deder being the only ones.
Her personality is similar to that of Alora and Imoen, though below the surface she isn't as carefree, as she's really demanding with herself regarding both morality and professionalism. Although most people are easily taken in by her kindness and good spirits, Nelsy's very cautious in her dealings with other people. She's well aware of her lack of life experience and her vulnerability. She isn't an adept fighter, and magic is as frightening as it is admirable to her.
She's clearly good aligned but outspokenly chaotic. To Nelsy illegal and wrong are not synomymous, and therefore she has no moral scruples whatsoever with certain illegal behaviour such as stealing from the rich (in order to give to the poor, even herself) or tripping on the black lotus as she discovered when she stole some from a visting nobleman and tried it out one starry night with Imoen, which to the both of them was a life-changing experience. Nelsy is likely to get along better with neutral and chaotic aligned characters, be they neutral or good, than with lawful ones (too rigid/uptight for her taste). Evil is out of the question.

I created Nelsy using the dice for pretty much every characteristic: gender, race, class, kit, alignment, stats. I did however pick her weapon proficiencies (daggers and darts) myself and also gave myself ten rolls for attributes plus the freedom to max out one stat (dexterity being the obvious choice).
As you can see Nelsy's already quite skilled in setting traps (75 points), thanks to the trap revisions mod that I'll be playing with. This mod, as its name implies, changes the trap setting system. A trap's damage output and other effects depend the level of the trap, which is decided by the number of skill points invested in set traps (so one could go way over 100 skill points, to get stronger traps). Traps are categorized in different tiers: basic, advanced, expert, master, with master being the HLA traps. Setting a single trap costs between 50 and 2500 gold depending on its tier. The mod introduces a bounty-hunter-only alchemical trap and eliminates the vanilla special traps for the bounty hunter. (It also introduces a couple of class-specific traps: arcane traps for the thief/mage and divine traps for the cleric/mage, but these won't be accessible to me.) The readme can be found here: http://www.shsforums...trap-revisions/.
The mod awards the bounty hunter with 25 skill points in trap setting at character creation. It also gives the bounty hunter three traps at level 1, but it eliminates their vanilla special traps. In my case however I had created Nelsy before installing the mod, so when I imported her I still found she had one vanilla special trap. I could delete that one in Shadowkeeper but I won't as I know traps are going to be pretty much her only trick.

Conform this thread, the idea is to play no-reload. Unfortunately there are certain areas in the game where movement freezes all the time, which can severely complicate combat. I might allow myself reloads if I feel the freezing caused or strongly influenced the (negative) outcome of the battle.
I'll be playing on core rules, but with max hitpoints for all characters (protagonist, friend and foe). I think the "stuttering" is due to a large number of mods I'm playing with (the usual suspects such as SCS, Ascension, Unfinished Business, BG1 NPCs, but also a few less known ones, such as aforementioned trap revisions mod, and the very recomemendable item randomizer).
I consider myself to be a reasonably seasoned player. Particularly experienced in BG1/TOTSC, which is my favourite part of the game. I completed TOB only twice, with many reloads. So this experimental no-reload playthrough with the transformed bounty hunter is bound to end sooner rather than later lol. Either way it just doens't feel the same after a reload (or at least after charname's death). Fortunately I always find a new challenge to play with...
Please note that this is not a purely technical playthrough, as you can gather from the first paragraph above, I'll be trying to roleplay my character and avoid powergaming. Any decision I take has to be justifiable from a roleplaying perspective (taking into account the Nelsy's personality as described above.)

II. Journal

Today started as most other days, with me being asked to run errands for the big people (and Reevor) in Candlekeep. I found a lost book for Phlydia, killed some rats for Reevor (do the cats in the Storehouse never get hungry?), and got a scroll for Firebead. Things changed when I was approached by an assassin in the priests' quarters where I had initially hoped to find Phlydia's book. The assassin was no match for me though it took some dexterous manoeuvering and quite a couple of darts to take him down. My head must be worth some serious gold if an assassin is willing to travel to Candlekeep and pay the entrance fee to finish me off. While is was still in shock, and asking myself whether this could have been some confusion (maybe there's someone else with my name?), I absent-mindedly mistook the bunkhouse for the garrison where I was supposed to retrieve Hull's longsword. To my surprise there was another assassin, and this one did manage to shank me. So there went the healing potion I had filched in the infirmary from the cabinet, deftly unlocked by me right in front of the Oghman priest. Again clever manoeuvering and a handful of darts were the key to survival, but two assassins and Karan telling me that people are after me have me worrying. I'm rushing to Gorion now, and hope we can leave ASAP....
The dawn was especially cruel this morning as I woke up realizing that last night wasn't a bad dream. A warrior of giantlike proportions ambushed us, and slashed Gorion almost in two... And again it was me they were after. More bounty hunters? I wonder. This wasn't what I had expected of my journey with poor old Gorion. This morning Imoen [Adventurer thief: +5% to lockpick and detect traps every other level, +1 bonus to all saves at levels 1, 8 & 14, no backstab multiplier] found me sitting by the roadside on the Lion's Way. I told her what had happened and we decided to take a look at the crime scene, where I found a letter to Gorion by someone named "E", urging Gorion to seek more travelling companions for safety. "E" also mentioned two people in the Friendly Arm Inn who could be trusted and would be willing to accompany us, so I suppose we should go and seek them out. But first we returned to Candlekeep where the keeper of the portal wouldn't let me back in. Curiously, Imoen was free to enter, but she insisted on coming along with me, which is very sweet of her. I just hope she won't regret that decision later. The keeper promised us to send out a search party to retrieve Gorion's remains and bury them in Candlekeep, he also gave me 100 gold to help us out.
We rested and continued our journey eastward, where we met a whimsical mage and a halfling bloke called Montaron. The mage, Xzar, seemed friendly enough, he even gave me a healing potion. However he turns out to be some kind of dark and crazy necromancer. Montaron, whom I looked forward to know better, is disappointingly blunt and curt. Nevertheless Imoen and I decided that to be safe we'd travel with them for now, at least till we reach the Friendly Arm Inn.
At the crossroads we encountered an old sage who seemed to know Imoen. Strangely, she didn't know him. He told us that the Inn is to the north, so we decided to take a shortcut through the fields, where I found a gold ring on a rock. Not much later I glimpsed a wolf! So we ran for the road again. Luckily it didn't follow us. A few minutes later we weren't so lucky. Imoen said she heard someone mumbling in the woods, so we decided to take a look. Turns out it was an ogre, a very agressive one! No way that any of us could take him on, so I asked Montaron to distract him so that I could set a trap. However Monty got a near fatal hit in the head (1 hp remaining), and after that the ogre kept coming for me as I was the only one hurting him with my darts (Immy had run out of arrows). In the end the ogre fell and we found two possibly magical belts.
Upon reaching the gate of the Inn, feeling secure in the vicinity of the guards and with Montaron on the brink of collapse, we rested (for 2 days and 16 hours... this party could sure use a cleric!) Inside we met Joia whom we agreed to retrieve her lost flamedance ring for from a couple of hobgoblins. One of the hobgoblins managed to hurt Imoen, leaving her with 1 hp (out of 8). I'm wondering whether I should leave her at the Inn, I don't want her to get hurt because of me. Anyway let's get inside, rest again, get Imoen fixed up, and see if we can find Gorion's friends...
When we wanted to enter the inn, we met a mage, Tarnesh, who was apparently looking for me, and even though I denied being the one he was looking for, he attacked. The first thing I did, was to yell at Imoen (still at 1 hp) that she had to go hide, which she did. Xzar managed to interrupt Tarnesh twice in his spellcasting with two Larloch's Minor Drains, but then Tarnesh blinded Xzar and me. That left only Montaron and the guards who came to our help. A good (non-crit) hit by Montaron, 11 damage, finished Tarnesh off, though not without the latter charming Monty. Immy, Xzar and I retreated so that Monty would stay calm. When the spell lost its effect, the four of us proceeded to enter the inn.
We finally met Gorion's friends, but to be honest, I'm not impressed. They appear to be as inexperiencied as the rest of us, but the woman, Jaheira, is acting as if she were a veteran: bossy and condescending. Khalid, the husband, is gentler but as a warrior/mage (fighter 1/transmuter 1) quite underwhelming. I mean he's shy, he stutters and he's just very insecure of himself.
I've seen Montaron and my dear Imoen nearly die on me, die because of me, and I don't want that. I mean Montaron is a dickhead but he just risked his neck and saved us all from Tarnesh. An assassin that wasn't after him but after me. And Imoen, I couldn't deal with the responsibility for her death... So I decide to leave them all. Khalid and Jaheira are free to go wherever they want to, and Monty and Xzar as well. Imoen I convince to wait in the inn till I get back to pick her up with more useful and experienced company. She didn't like my plan at all, I guess she worries as much over me as I over her. The difference is that she almost got herself killed, and I didn't...
In the inn I talked to Unshey, a dwarven scholar. It appeared that one of the belts we found on the ogre belonged to her. I returned the belt to her, and got a 70 gold finders' fee. [With the XP Nelsy reached level 2.] I left the inn and decided to travel southward, where it turns out that even a few gibberlings can give me a pretty hard time. My darts do 1-3 damage, and do not always hit, so I'm slow at killing things. If only I could get some better goods!
Farther south I get ambushed by a group of kobolds with bows. One arrow hits me and takes away 7 hitpoints. I simply ran. I need to make my way to Beregost soon, and hope to find some reliable travel companions and maybe some useful gear there... I sold a ring I found near a tree just outside the Friendly Arm Inn and Imoen's wand of magic missiles to Gellana Mirrorshade, so I've some coin to spend.
Reached Beregost and have been running errands and doing "safe" quests (got Firebead a book he was looking for, killed four spiders for a gnomish lady I met at the Friendly Arm Inn, calmed down Marl, and did two minor mod quests: help a guy that was turned into a slime, and a family that was divided after they lost a heirloom, a pearl necklace). This helped me get to level 4 and with it some vaulable hitpoints plus increased stealth skills.
I haven't set any traps yet, but now that I'm solo and better at stealth/scouting, I think my time will soon come. My other thief skills are fully undeveloped, so for now I won't be crawling any dungeons unless I pick up Immy or another thief again.
PS I also killed an ogre (more mod content), purportedly the father of a little boy in one of the houses in the north of Beregost, and looted the gauntlets of ogre power off his body. Not sure if I will use them though, this seems endgame gear to me. On the other hand, it's basically nothing more than increased carrying capacity as I don't melee. Backstabs would of course become more likely to connect...
EDIT: Gauntlets dilemma solved: upon identification I notice that thieves can't use those :P
A townswoman referred me to a mage called Thalantyr who lives west of Beregost. He might have interesting gear for sale, she told me. The area surrounding his establishment, High Hedge, is a bit creepy, filled with gnolls and skeletons. I took on three gnolls, one of them with an arrow trap that did only 16 damage, which was nevertheless eneough for the kill. On its body I found a shortsword that according to an inscription must have belonged to someone named Perdue. I decide to pick up the blade.
Thalantyr is a grumpy, dour old man, but he sure has some great items for sale. A deep red ioun stone which grants +1 dex. I might come back for that one later....
On my way out of the Hedge I got pursued by more undead and a Flind, who together might well be too much for me too handle so again I bravely fled the scene, southward this time. Down south I get welcomed by even more undead, a zombie this time. It falls quick to my darts. I also saved a talking chicken from a wolf. Apparently the chicken is in reality a young man named Melicamp. I would have kept him as my famililar, but he he was so desperate to get to his mentor Thalantyr that I reluctantly head back to where I fled from.
My return to the High Hedge area was even worse than my departure... Fatigued, I get greeted immediately by two skeletons whose throwing knives do some mean damage. And if I try to take one on in melee, my dagger is of little use and the other skeleton keeps on launching its throwing knives... I run and try to set a trap, but the effort is wasted as one of the skeletons just enters my line of sight again. I finally manage to take the both of them down, but it costs me 3 healing potions.
As I continue my way toward the High Hedge, I get attacked by a flind, two skeletons, and two dogs. Everyone and everything seems to hate me here! This time I just decide to run, hide, and sneak my way to Thalantyr. I bring him Melicamp and a skull he says he needs, from one of the skeletons I killed, in order to make his anti-chickenator spell work on Melicamp. Amd guess what... All this hassle for what? For a dead chicken :(
On my way out, more aggressive skeletons and dogs, so I just flee back to Beregost.
[Note by the author: So far this hasn't been my most enjoyable playthrough, probably cause it's damn hard. Nelsy's fighting skills are laughable, as is her backstab. The traps work reasonably well.]
I just sped up the felling of two ogrillons south of Beregost with a poison darts trap (1d3 + 1d6 poison damage for 2 rounds to enemies) and an arrow trap (6d4 damage to a single target). This cost me 300 gold however (250 for the poison trap alone). A level 3-4 fighter would just take the critters down with his blade. I think that in a party with one or two strong fighters/archers, my input would be minimal. Anyhow I'm alive and well, and ready to venture to Nashkel, as there seems to be something going on down there, according to rumors I picked up in Beregost. I also recall that both Xzar and Monty and Khalid and Jaheira wanted to travel there.
I travelled to Nashkel to get an idea of what was going on there. En route I took on about 4 or 5 hobgoblins, one of them an archer who successfully hit me twice, forcing me to further deplete my stock of healing potions. A poison darts trap killed two and injured two more. I took down the surviving two plus the archer with my darts. There was a nice reward on one of the hobgoblins: the worn whispers, a pair of stealth enhancing boots.
Further south three menacing looking Flaming Fist mercenaries in plate mail came walking my way so I decided to take a detour through the woods. Before I reached Nashkel a flamboyant nobleman, Lord Foreshadow from Waterdeep, came up to me and handed me his ring of human influence stating that I might need it on my travels 'to win hearts'... I wonder his words foreshadow something I'm completely unaware of at this point.
In Nashkel I saw the town under the protection of Amnish soldiers. One of them told me about a captain of theirs who had gone on a murdering frenzy, and about troubles in the Nashkel mines. The mayor of the town, a man named Berrun Ghastkill gave me a similar account of the state of the mines and asked me to go and investigate. He offered me a reward. I neither accepted nor declined the offer, but for the moment I can't see myself investigating those mines all by myself without having a better idea of what to expect, not while a single hobgoblin archer still poses a threat to me. Next to the Nashkell store I met a svirfneblin lass who sells shoes and other goods. My eye was caught by a pair of so-called 'stylish boots of the cheetah' , which double movement speed. They cost me about 5400 gold, but I couldn't leave them there. Not only do they look lovely, they'll enhance my fleeing and kiting skills.
Instead of going south I returned north. I remembered having promised the gnomish lady in the Friendly Arm Inn to return some goods to her from her spider-infested home in Beregost. The spiders I had already killed. And I could use the trip north to the inn to check on Imoen.
But first I needed some time to rest and prepare new traps because I had only one left. I walked into the Red Sheaf inn in Beregost, where I saw myself confronted with yet another assassin. An axe-wielding dwarven fighter. I tried to change his mind, even offered him double the amount of money he was being paid to kill me, but there was no negotiating with this one. My speedy boots enabled me to play hide and seek with the dwarf. I dared not engage in face to face combat. My strategy was tiring, but in the end it worked well. An arrow trap set from stealth, two backstabs (that did 12 and 8 damage respectively) and a few darts meant the end of Karlat the dwarf. In the inn I also met Perdue the owner of the shortsword I'd found. He turned out to be another dour halfling not unlike Montaron. He was hardly capable of saying thank you, though he did give me 50 gold for my exertions. I wonder if many halflings are like that. I thought we had a reputation of being pleasant and sociable people. I guess I'll have to see for myself: after I visit Imoen, I shall go to Gullykin.
In the Friendly Arm Inn all was relatively quiet. There weren't any noteworthy new guests. Imoen was happy to see me, and I felt the same, but I saw the disappointment in her eyes when she noticed I was still alone. We talked, I showed her the trinkets I had acquired (the ring, the boots) and she showed me a pair of golden pantaloons she had somehow picked up from a nobleman in the inn. I don't know if they have any magical properties. Immy wanted to come with me again. Said she knew all the guests by now, and that there wern't any locks left to pick. I gave her Tarnesh's spellbook so she could study it, but I begged her to be careful. I told her that I'd be visiting Gullykin, something I want to do alone, but I promised her that afterward I'd come back for her.
I returned to Beregost and handed a woman a letter from her lost husband I had found on two ogrillions I'd killed days before. She was very thankful and gave me a ring of protection +1. From her home I travelled east, past the Temple of Lothander where the high priest told me about the mad cleric Bassilus and the tempting 5000 gold bounty on his head. However I decided to first stick to my plan to find my way to Gullylkin, so I travelled further east. At one point I came upon a dry, barren area full with basilisks. Thankfully I was stealthing so I didn't get noticed. However I dare not fully rely on my hiding skills yet, and any noise or a clumsy movement could be fatal. Yet I know that I have to go through this area to get to Gullykin. I decided to travel all the way back to Nashkel as I was told the town had a Carnival with merchants selling all kinds of potions and scrolls. To my delight one of them sold me an expensive protection from petrifcation scroll, better to be safe than sorry.
I travelled back north, and then east. When I rested I had a dark dream about death, but when I woke in the middle of the night I became aware of a new innate healing ability. Pretty neat! I got up and used the cover of night to scout and set a few traps. After that I cast protection from petrification on myself. Unfortunately my first trap got "wasted" on a gnoll I might have taken down with my darts. The other traps were helpful but certainly not decisive in dealing with the basilisks. (The first basilisk kill got Nelsy one level up, to 5, she invested her skill 20 points in trap setting for the first time since level 1; from level 2 to 4 all skill points had been gone to MS/HiS).
When I ran out traps I used stealth and backstabs (triple damage by now) to take on the basilisks, with mixed results, as the images below make clear:
backstab_zpsb8acb17e.png

backstab2_zps098e557a.png

[I understand this has to do in part with luck, and in part with the fact that when an enemy is in ranged mode, such as a basilisk in "gaze mode", the melee attacker receives not only a thac0 but also an damage bonus.]
Doing only 1or 2 damage with my dagger or darts, is painful. Once I have the money I shall pick up that mean dagger of venom I saw for sale in Beregost.
I killed the remaining basilisks except a single lesser one, with the backstab strategy. This helped me gain another level, so I'm a level 6 bounty huntress now. (Although I'm playing on core rules, Nelsy has max possible hit points as have all characters in the game, friends and foes alike, this is another mod option.)

Nelsy2_zps778a47f9.png

The last basilisk was standing in very close proximity to Mutamin the gnome. The latter is a formidable (buffed and hasted) opponent in SCS, especially without any summons or Korax to help me out. So I set two lightning bolt traps that had become available to me when I raised my set traps skill to 100. Now this is something else, according to the readme:
"When triggered, the trap will shoot magically enchanted bolts at enemies in a rapid succession. If all targets are destroyed and there are unfired bolts remaining, the device will await for new targets to arrive. The number of bolts loaded is 3 plus 1 per level of the trap. Bolts never miss and deal 1d8+2 missile damage plus 4d4, save vs breath for half, electrical damage."

At this stage (with my 100 set traps skill points) the lightning bolts trap is a "level 1" trap, but with more skill points spent the trap levels will increase and thus the damage output. Each trap does about 40 damage. The first went off only partly as I had already weakened Mutamin with a critical backstab (18 damage). The trap did the rest (24 damage). The remaining basilisk (that saved vs breath twice btw for reduced damage) suffered 54 damage.
[This seems to be OP, no? Any opinions?? (if anyone is actually still reading lol). To its defense I must say that it's kind of a last resort trap at this point in the game, as 1000 gold for a single trap is a lot of money. I think that only at the end of the game one could be more generous in setting this kind of traps. And it was kind of nice for once in this playthrough not to feel like an utter weakling!.]
On Mutamin I found what seem to be bracers of archery, but I'm not sure so I won't try them on until I've got them identified. [I've a mod installed that randomizes the apperance od cursed items.] There's a hunting party of four in the area that doesn't look friendly enough for me to initiate conversation. They haven't seen me, maybe one day. Time to travel to Gullykin, and meet my halfling kin. I'm looking forward to this, there must be so much that I can learn about halfling culture, about my roots.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts

Welcome Blackraven, glad to have you on NRC board.  Good luck out there & watch out for those battles where you let down your guard b/c, ' this is an easy one, I got this.'  Those are the ones that get me at least half the time.  

Don't know if you were purposely leaving the link to your photo's or couldn't get it to 'show.'  I have a lot of luck w/Image Shack.' I give 'em $2 a month & the links work well, once edited, which is just a matter of deleting some extra coding they have there. 

CKT

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hey Charlestonian Knight Templar! Thanks for your kind words. It's good to be here. Yes my no-reloads usually end end either due to mod surprises (recently the Revenant's paralyzing attack) or negligence... I actually explicitly characterized my current charname as very cautious in her dealings with others. I intend to roleplay and thus incorporate this cautiousness  in the way  I play her.

As to the images, I'm using photobucket as mentioned by Grondo. Could you or anyone tell what I need to do to show the images using photobucket? It wasn't my intention to only display the links.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

CoreTalos the Priest of Talos with his Random Party - Update 7, disasters

Traveling with: Misty (kensai), Paja (berserker), Hanna (sorcerer)

Well, once we defeated Kirian's party we were the right levels for Ankheg Farm (level 6). However, Paja's HP just weren't up to the task, and got a disaster at the farm. Paja got hit with multiple criticals and died and anhkeg was then throwing spit. Out of desperation, both Hanna and CoreTalos fired a lightning bolt - this worked, but Hanna got one-shotted - now two party members dead. The main problem was that we could not carry the equipment. We tried to bash a few nearby chests, but they were too tough. So ended up using a strength potion on Misty to get the equipment to the ankheg nest cache area, took several trips. Then at FAI we resurrected our fallen and brought them back to the cache and re-quipped. We managed to clear the nest, but Paja came near death several times...We got the bowl for the little "girl" as she wanted. Just in case we ever have issues here again, Hanna knocked the nearby chests in the houses.

That was only one disaster. The next was when we tried to clear the basislisks area - first order of business was Mutamin, Paja had protection from petrifcation, resist fear and shield amulet - only problem? I didn't realize Mutamutin just piles melf after melf, with Paja's low HP, this was far too much to heal up from and she was slain. Doh! Hanna doesn't know protection from petrification yet...We then recruited Korax and CoreTalos used sanctuary to guide Korax to finish Mutamutin...I was hoping he could clear the nearby baslisks but there were too many and then a baslisk targeted CoreTalos! CoreTalos ran back to his party, cast animate dead x2 and by the time the baslisk arrived, it targeted the undead - with the help of the undead we were able to clear a path to Misty's body and get her stuff - we will have to abandon this area for now, just too dangerous. So Misty used a STR potion and we headed to FAI to resurrect...but got ambushed! Misty can't move but we won, she gulped another STR potion and headed to FAI...and yet another amush! This time CoreTalos carried the full plate once the ambushers dead and we didn't need the STR potion (woops, should have done this all along...). We get to FAI and resurrect sell and rest...the only good thing of all this Hanna got her first level 3 spell, fireball.

We've been trying to save up for Hanna's robe from Thalantyr, but it just hasn't been working out. May have to use that money for Greenstone amulet instead

Narrow escapes, gotta love 'm! Hang in there :)

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Expensive traps.

Jezebel the Skald.
With Imoen, Rasaad, Dorn, Neera and Baeloth. Page 15.

Baeloth may think he's the best Magic Missile caster in the realms but I've heard of a conjurer called Edwin who may just shade him. Our discussion starts off in a friendly manner before descending into an argument then a confrontation. Things are just about to turn real ugly when we're both given a demonstration of who is the best Magic Missile caster around.
Baldr018.png

Jardak should be dead proud, his butler being the first person to scare me in a long time. Instead he's just dead, my companions ignoring my screams of panic and despatching the two men one after the other.

Aldeth Sashenstar is impressed with our work, so am I. Neera sent many doppelgangers to sleep and nobody has yet noticed the mess upstairs where Baeloth set off a fireball to end the party.

Sunin is dead from a double Magic Missile dose, carefully packed by a poisoned Rancor blade. His two bodyguards elect not to turn up.

Scar is pleased to hear about the Seven Suns and sends us into the sewers on a body-hunt. Imoen is less than impressed, complaining that her Immy-Poos will never be the same again. I don't know if she means her boots or her toilet breaks. We're back a few minutes later, Baeloth hasting us and hence the end of an ogre mage and his pet carrion summons. Scar leads us to Duke Eltan, who we listen to intently, while Imoen empties a nearby chest or two. Eltan wants us to investigate the Iron Throne HQ and Imoen promises to examine everything no matter how innocuous it may seem.

First though we try to find a store, stumbling into a house where 5 ogre mages are plotting against us. Rasaad and Imoen get confused but a double fireball lands before they run into the danger zone. Dorn is hacking the two survivors to pieces and Baeloth dispels the panic from Rasaad but Imoen resists.

Before we can do the Iron Throne word reaches us about a basilisk running amok. We track it down to a warehouse and Dorn badly wounds it before Rasaad steals in to apply the killing blow. Rasaad chunks a sirine or nereid then we head to the Low Lantern where Desreta sees her 18/00 strength topped by the 19's of Dorn and Rasaad. She and Vay-ya fall without much of a fight and show how little they know of entrophy.

I decide to try the strength gauntlets out despite not having fought for much of our travels.

Dorn, Blackguard 6. 291 kills, Greater Basilisk.
Rasaad, Sun Soul Monk 6. 122 kills, Greater Basilisk.
Jezebel, Skald 7. 8 kills, Gnoll.
Imoen, Thief 7. 132 kills, Shoal the Nereid.
Neera, Wild Mage 6. 38 kills, Desreta.
Baeloth, Sorcerer 7. 103 kills, Gamaz.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

As to the images, I'm using photobucket as mentioned by Grondo. Could you or anyone tell what I need to do to show the images using photobucket? It wasn't my intention to only display the links.

Paste the IMG link (if showing the picture full screen in Photobucket just clicking on the link will copy it; if showing thumbnails then clicking on the link will highlight it and you can use Ctrl+C to copy it).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Blackraven wrote...

Narrow escapes, gotta love 'm! Hang in there  :)

Thanks Blackraven! I'm doing my best, best of luck to your character as well.

• Blackraven likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Hey there, hi there Blackraven! Welcome to the No-Reload Challenge!

I'm definitely interested in Nelsy's run. If you've spent enough time here, you may be aware that the BH in my forum name stands for "bounty hunter." I selected that name because my favorite PC is a bounty hunter named Alesia. Alesia's nearly successful SCS-Ascension Trilogy No-Reload, which ended at The Throne, can be found on these forums. I can provide a link if you are curious.

In any event, best wishes for a successful run. And once again: welcome to the forum!

Best,

A.

On the trap mod: I don't think I'd ever give up my special snares, but I'm aware that the trap mechanic in BG is broken. I've always taken an interest in alternatives.

You mentioned that your traps are overpowered, or at least have the potential to become overpowered. As a reminder, at level 6, a vanilla bounty hunter would have two regular snares, each dealing 2d8+5 damage, and two toss-able, AOE, special snares, each dealing 3d8+5 damage and applying slow with a save v spells at -5. Of course, those traps cost nothing.

If you feel your traps are becoming overpowered, you could consider nerfing the progression of their damage by allocating thieving points to other abilities. You might use the vanilla trap behavior as a reference point. At the moment, your traps seemed balanced with what would have been available to a vanilla bounty hunter.       

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks Grond0, I managed to post the pics directly on here. But so far the good news....

Nelsy met a very untimely end in Gullykin. Maybe it's some comfort to her that she at least managed to visit the place she so longed to see. An affable young girl called Alora gave Nelsy a tour of the village. Pretty much everyone was most welcoming, and praising her for having the spirit of the 'Little Man' inside her. There was one exception though, Jenkal, inhabiting the westernmost house. He greeted Nelsy and Alora with hostility in his basement room and when Nelsy and Alora said that they'd be leaving he said he was going to kill the both of them. The first thing Jenkal did was to use a potion of invisibility, so both Alora and Nelsy ran upstairs and hid. When they returned and at one point even turned visible, he was gone. Alora and Nelsy found a hidden door behind some bookshelves, but the access was blocked from the other side. When Alora and Nelsy went back upstairs to leave the place, Jenkal's backstab insta-killed Nelsy (who had 42 hitpoints at that moment).

This is very very disappointing. First of all because I was beginning to grow attached to Nelsy. Secondly, I had just begun to believe in her potential. And thirdly I would have wanted to experiment more with the various traps, and at higher levels.
However no-reload = no-reload. I've got two options now: take her through the first levels again (maybe solo, more clinical and less roleplaying), or start with a new character...

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Oh hi Alesia, thank you so much for welcoming me and also for your input on the traps!

As you can read in my previous post, my first bounty hunter wasn't a huge success. I'm definitely interested in reading Alesia the bounty hunter's journal! So I'd gladly get the link from you.

So far my impression is that it's a difficult class to roleplay (rather than meta-game). For example, I knew from previous playthroughs that in SCS BG1 Jenkal is a backstabber with various invisibility potions. But my halfling bounty huntress wanted to explore Gullykin as she longed to get to know more halflings, and halfling culture as well. I could have placed a trap upstairs, but that wouldn't be proper roleplaying IMO.

As to the power level of the traps, I agree that the revised traps aren't necessarily overpowered. They might be slightly more damaging but that advantage is somewhat offset by the price you pay to use them. I had already spent thousands on traps, and therefore couldn't yet afford the dagger of venom for instance.
I'm now wondering whether to replay Nelsy the bounty hunter or start with Teyl the evil Strifeleader of Cyric/Thief. I could opt for the latter and have him focus on trap setting as well, because I do want to experiment more with traps.
Anyway, I'll give myself 30 minutes to decide, if not, heads or tails will do the job...

• Members
  • 981 posts

My senses, which I always believe to be the nudging of my lord Asmodeus, led me to the High Hedge. Rachel @ the Temple of the Morning said there was a Mage there named Thalantyr. The place was swarming w/skeletons, Flinds & Gnolls of various types.  I beat them all down w assistance from my servants. 

Key Event:  I let my guard down against two Ghasts that were roaming the woods. Stupidly I charged in & got hit by one & Held. My servants cut them down & I shook the effects after a short time but I was severely injured & required a long rest in the south of the High Hedge area. 

ncsw.png

CLOSE CALL...TOO CLOSE. PRAISE ASMODEUS FOR HIS MERCY!

I finally found the Mage himself in a large manor house @ the center of the woods.  He was a grumpy old coot & his prices were exorbitant for magic items, although he has a large supply of spells up to about 3rd level, e few potions & decent selection & some exotic items too rich for my blood now. I’d collected quite a bit of loot including gems & two-handed swords for which I collected decent return.

Treasure of Note: None

Current Disposition:   Resting in Beregost @ the Red Sheaf

Next Steps: My lord is drawing me south of Beregost toward Nashkel

Level Up: My lord Asmodeus has chosen to grant me further power by promoting me to Hellraiser (Anti-Paladin/4) & giving me the power, Life Drain, to complement the Aura of Despair, Poison Weapon & two Doom abilities he’s already granted.   Afterward, my Lieutenant, the Dwarven Berserker was himself promoted to Berserker/4.

Current Party: (Reputation: 5 - Disliked)

Mordred:  Fighter (Blk Gd)/4; Plate Mail w/Lg Shld, +1 B/Swd**, Flail* (SSS**)              

Kagain: Fighter (Bkr)/4; Splint Mail w/B/Axe*** & T/Axe**

Eldoth: Bard/4; Chain Mail, Sh/Bow* & Brazers of Archery, Dgr* (Armor, Sleep, Mirror Image)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Oh hi Alesia, thank you so much for welcoming me and also for your input on the traps!

You are most welcome!

As you can read in my previous post, my first bounty hunter wasn't a huge success. I'm definitely interested in reading Alesia the bounty hunter's journal! So I'd gladly get the link from you.

Sorry for your loss Blackraven. And so you know, I respect the approach you took to the encounter: opting to RP rather than metagame.

Here's my bounty hunter's entry post. As you'll see, I had chosen to describe her mostly through her personal item.

Ok. Here is my new entrant. Fortune permitting, this will be a full Trilogy run. Some of you may recognize the character.
Screenshot2011-06-03at91300PM.png
Screenshot2011-06-03at91150PM.png

Personal Item:

The Quick and the Dead

When Alesia and Imoen reached their early teens, they began playing a game at Winthrop's Inn: they called it "Filtch." The object was to create as much mischief as possible by stealing small items from visiting dignitaries. The player who caused the most trouble -without getting caught- won.

Despite meaning no real harm, simple competitiveness drove the girls to increasingly meddlesome pranks- culminating in a round where Imoen "filtched" a young bride-to-be's engagement ring and placed it near a bedpost in the Watchers' barracks. Alesia and imoen agreed that it was terribly clever. Neither of them considered the consequences.

When the ring was discovered, the girl was publicly shamed and privately beaten. Imoen could hear her sobbing through the thin walls at Winthrop's Inn. Her former fiance had already left.

Wracked with guilt, Imoen confessed what she had done and explained the "game" to both Winthrop and Gorion. The Winthrop and Gorion conferred: something had to be done.

After a long talk, it was decided that the girls were a bad influence on each other and should be seperated. Alesia was sent to stay with one of Gorion's nephews on a small, rustic farm north of Baldur's Gate. The family was poor, but the experience would be good for Alesia. Or so Gorion thought.

Unfortunately, years at the Keep had blinded Gorion to a simple fact: life on the land can be precarious. All it takes is one bad harvest and poverty -grinding, grueling poverty- can be right around the corner.

It was Alesia's second season on the farm when the bad harvest struck. The family found itself on the brink. Alesia was hungry. And she was scared. Pride and pride alone kept her from contacting Gorion.

Just when it seemed things couldn't get worse, a rumor spread that the infamous outlaw, Quine, was passing through the region. Neighbors readied their weapons, but most knew little could be done to stop the man. The tension was palpable.

On an otherwise splendid morning, Alesia and her guardians awoke to find their livestock gone- including the horses. Without their chickens, they would go hungry. Without their horses, they would die- that was certain. Alesia still refused to write Gorion.

When nightfell, Alesia loaded a canvas satchel with hardtack, water, and a dull blade. She slung it over her shoulder, and set off into the darkness seeking Quine.

After trekking for what felt like days, Alesia came upon a camp by the river. There were four men: one of them was Quine. There were also six horses. Two of them were Alesia's.

Alesia hid in the darkness surveying the camp- stone-still and silent. After a few hours, the campfire went out, and the men retired to their tents. Alesia slipped the blade out of her satchel, and crept forward.

Trembling with fear, Alesia reached Quine's tent. He was asleep. Not knowing what to do, Alesia instinctively plunged her blade into Quine's neck- leaving it stuck through his throat. Alesia could hear Quine gurgling as she ran for the horses.

Alesia rode back to the farm- with the other horses racing alongside her. And as the chilly night air pierced her skin, her eyes began to tear. She reached into the saddle bag, and when she did, she found Quine's most famous possession: the thieves' hood known as "The Quick and the Dead." She used it to wipe away her tears.

The next morning, a messenger left the farm for Candlekeep. A few days later, Gorion arrived to take Alesia away. Gorion was struck by Alesia's gaunt appearance and icy glare- he had never seen her scared before. The two have spoken little since.

Since her return to the Keep, Alesia has worn Quine's hood whenever she is able. Imoen says she is hiding.

+1 Weapons Speed Factor Bonus
Grants Infravision
Immune to Blindness

Usable by Alesia

Mods: Bags in Candlekeep, Bag of Holding in Davaeorn's Quarters, Custom Item, NPC Banter, SCS, Tutu

Personal Rules: All actions must flow from the chacters personality. Gratuitous XP hunting is not permitted. Meta-game knowledge reliance is to be minimized. Some items (such as the Necklace of Missles) may be restricted.

This is the charcacter I care about the most. Wish her luck!

A link to her run appears below. Rather than linking to the very beginning, I opted to link to one of Alesia's more memorable battles. Scroll to the very bottom of the page and find the post entitled "Confessions of a Silent Killer." You can navigate backwards and forwards in the thread to find the rest.

As to the power level of the traps, I agree that the revised traps aren't necessarily overpowered. They might be slightly more damaging but that advantage is somewhat offset by the price you pay to use them. I had already spent thousands on traps, and therefore couldn't yet afford the dagger of venom for instance.

Makes sense. I was essentially seeing it the same way.

I'm now wondering whether to replay Nelsy the bounty hunter or start with Teyl the evil Strifeleader of Cyric/Thief. I could opt for the latter and have him focus on trap setting as well, because I do want to experiment more with traps. Anyway, I'll give myself 30 minutes to decide, if not, heads or tails will do the job...

Heads or tails works for me: I'd be content to see either.

It's good to have you with us Blackraven!

Best,

A.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Hard luck Blackraven - maybe sometime you might experiment with a barbarian (immune to backstabs).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Tough break there, Blackraven - best of luck in your next attempt. SCS backstabbers in BG 1 almost sounds unfair, since there are much less options to deal with them in BG 1 due partly to low levels but also equipment. As a thief yourself, not sure what you could have done except perhaps potion of defense and belt of piercing, but still no guarantee, especially as you can't get critical hit protection.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Tough break there, Blackraven - best of luck in your next attempt. SCS backstabbers in BG 1 almost sounds unfair, since there are much less options to deal with them in BG 1 due partly to low levels but also equipment. As a thief yourself, not sure what you could have done except perhaps potion of defense and belt of piercing, but still no guarantee, especially as you can't get critical hit protection.

To balance the disadvantages there are some advantages of his mod setup - like for instance the ioun stone that Thalantyr sells.  If Nelsy listens to local gossip she would be sure to hear of hordes of goodies collected by various beasties.  Prioritising sneaking in to loot these treasures might be worth while next time in order to upgrade her equipment earlier.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Which mod places an ioun stone in High Hedge, Grond0?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

I'm not sure - Blackraven mentioned some of his mods, but it wasn't any of the ones he listed.  I've seen a couple of mods that add ioun stones there (I think the Item Pack is one).

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hi everyone, while I had already grudgingly accepted that I'd screwed up with Nelsy, someone pointed out to me that there's a bug in Baldur's Gate in that melee attacks against characters with a ranged weapon equipped not only give a +4 thac0 bonus but also a +4 damage bonus. (The bug has been removed in the Enhanced Edition that I wasn't playing.) This may explain the 42 backstab damage that Jenkal did to my character, though not ncessarily so. According to Shadowkeeper, Jenkal is a 6/6 Fighter/Thief (which means backstab triple damage), with 10 strength and a normal shortsword in which he's specialized. So the max damage he could do would be (6 short sword + 2 specialization bonus) * 3 * 2 = 48 if I'm not mistaken. Therefore Nelsy's death (all 42 hp gone) can either have been caused by the aformentioned bug, as she had her darts equipped, or by a critical backstab.
An academic question, out of curiosity: would Nelsy's death if it were demonstrably caused by the bug justify a re-load in your opinion? Why or why not? I myself am inclined to say that a reload wouldn't be justified as it would allow me to take advantage of the bug when I deal damage and allow me to a reload once I suffer (fatal) damage due to the same bug. Am just interested how strict you adhere to the no-reload principle. I consider myself very strict as reloading has come to feel like cheating...

Meanwhile, please meet Teyl, another halfing but one much darker of heart than the late Nelsy: a NE (shadowkeepered) Strifeleader of Cyric/Thief.

Teyl_zpsf1cf7668.png

Inventory_zps3c51fb0e.png

Teyl, unlike his megalomanic and reckless gnomish counterpart Tiax, is a cunning, conniving and calculating figure. He isn't overtly evil or violent nor does he enjoy cruelty or the suffering of others just for the sake of it. He takes good care of his appearance and image, is generally polite to strangers and even willing to do "good" if he sees personal benefits that make his benevolence worthwhile. He has no reservations about making promises or accepting commitments he won't be likely to live up to, if such behavior serves his interests. In such situations Teyl tends to avoid outright lies though, preferring to rely on ambiguity or omission of information in order to manipulate reality in his favor without having to fear that any blame is going to be pinned on him. His subtlety and seemingly mild manners may not make him a prototypical Cyricist, but his ways might well be the more effective, or so at least he believes.
The presence of such guiding figures of unquestionable moral calibre as Tethoril, Imoen, the priests of Oghma and above all Gorion have given Teyl a sense of morality he might otherwise not have had, but unlike the people that surround him Teyl believes that everyone ought to look after their own interests. Teyl appreciates nature, female beauty, and art.

Teyl isn't a physically imposing figure, even for a halfling. He makes up for this however with his wit, his knowledge of poisons, an affinity with trap setting, and the powers bestowed upon him by Cyric.

His stats are the result of a legit 93 roll (in a best of 100). After starting the game I reluctantly changed the distribution of his stats to fit his character better, i.e. lower STR (the original roll was actually 17), higher INT and CHA. The high CON (also original roll) can be partly justified by his exposure to poisons he experiments with, which has fortified his health. On the other hand I favored Teyl by maxing out his DEX.

I awarded Teyl with a second set trap skill at level 1, one more than a normal thief and one less than a bounty hunter (who gets other benefits besides 3 traps at level1) in the aforementioned mod. I did this so that it actually makes some sense investing skillpoints in trap setting from the outset. (Being able to set only one trap until I get to level 6 as a thief, is little incentive to develop one's trap-setting skills early on.)
I also gave him a set of Shadow thief apprentice armor, which at AC6 gives a +1 AC advantage over normal studded leather as well as a 5% bonus to HiS. I did this mainly for esthetic reasons, as normal studded leather looked awfully light brown on Teyl, who prefers black, and anthracite.
Both adaptations of the original character are slight cheats I'm aware, but by no means game-breaking.

I'll be playing core rules, with maximum hitpoints for all characters in the game.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks all, for your sympathy. I think I was just very unlucky, but then again, one shouldn't be dependent on luck.

Alesia: I'm impressed with your writing! Very immersive. It's 2:40 am here, so I'll postpone reading till tomorrow. But your bounty hunter's backstory is just excellent :) I notice that you too prefer immersion over powergaming.

Grond0: barbarian doesn't really appeal to me for some reason, I just hope to be more careful next time. The good thing is that Teyl can wear a helmet, so no critical backstabs this time around... "Hordes of goodies collected by various beasties", Nelsy hasn't been talking to the right people.

Thalantyr does sell two ioun stones in my set-up, one that grants a lore bonus and another one that gives +1 DEX (which is of course attractive for any rogue and maybe even a mage). Unfortunately neither offers protection from critical hits. I couldn't tell which of the many mods I installed is responsible for them.

EDIT: the ioun stones are rogue rebalancing items

CKT: congrats as well with your concept of the pious and humble yet ruthless Mordred. Well thought out!

Talk soon. Am looking forward to reading your charnames' exploits and hope to post about mine tomorrow...

• Members
  • 981 posts

I headed south on the South Beregost Road next.  My lord Asmodeus is leading me to completely annihilate everything, everywhere I go before I move on.  In this case, rather than staying to the road, I elected to reconnoiter the area w/my Berserker out front & my Bard w/his Short Bow & Bracers of Archery behind him. I began to the left of the road & headed east a short way, turning south before I was in Ulcaster, then headed south until I reached the area of the North Nashkel Road, then turned west again & clashed w/a small detachment, obviously  from a larger group of Hobgoblins, which I crushed ruthlessly. As a result of that fight, my Herald & Bard increased his talent level. From there we continued west toward the line that would have crossed us into the Red Canyons where we turned north again back toward Beregost. Twice more we battled small groups of a half-dozen Hobgoblins – the place is crawling w/’em. They all appear to be vanilla Hobgoblins but w/different colored garb it was apparent they were all from different tribes. My Herald & Bard is now also my Sage because he was able to tell from their colors that the three groups we battled were from the Ripper, Leg Breaker & Skull Smasher tribes respectfully.  We also smashed a couple of bands of Gibberling’s in between & afterward.  We were so loaded down, we started having to leave Bastard Swords behind that we could have sold. I returned to Beregost to lighten our load & rest. 

On return, I continued staying left of the road but close enough that I encountered two Ogrillons which I destroyed easily enough w/support from my servants throwing Axes & Short Bow respectfully. One of them carried a message to a Mirianne from Roe. Not sure what happened to Roe but the ‘Halving he hired to carry it’ is taking a long dirt-nap courtesy of the Ogrillons. From there I continued south closer to the road & was accosted by three Flaming Fist Mercenaries & accused of being a Bandit. They actually spoke to my Berserker who told ‘em to take 50 gold & get lost. They attacked & I beat them down, securing three sets of Plate Mail & FF Helms. I took them back to Beregost to drop ‘em giving me five sets of Plate Mail & three FF Helms.  I’ll need ‘em in case they fall apart like so much of the metal in this area courtesy the Iron Crisis (note: the Hard Times mod causes un-enchanted metal items to break b/c of the Iron Crisis mid game so keeping extras on hand is a regular habit of mine; I also have extra sets of Splint for Kagain & since his Axes are not enchanted he carries four of them so that when one breaks, he’s got a spare).  On this encroachment, my Berserker had his Splint Mail fall apart in a battle w/Gibberling’s no less & got tore up pretty good & later at least one of his Axes fell apart. Still we killed three Ghouls & another group of Hobgoblins & picked up Boots of Stealth.

Key Event:  My biggest & final challenge was near an old submerged house. The place was infested w/Ghasts & Ghouls. I counted at least a dozen, six of each. In addition there were two groups of Hobgoblins nearby which bled over into our battle to kill them. I lost my Berserker once & had to return to have him raised by that hypocrite Ormlyr Kelddath.  I loaded him up w/Throwing Axes so he could keep his distance & returned to finish the deed.  Finally, I was looking @ the last carcasses of Hobgoblins & Ghasts. We’d killed off the Ghouls on the last trip down.

j9cn.png

Treasure of Note: Boots of Stealth (TBD);

Current Disposition:  Resting @ the Red Sheaf

Next Steps: Continue toward Nashkel back through the South Beregost Road for the North Nashkel Road.

Level Up: My Herald & Bard is that much more talented now as a Racaraide (Bard/5) & selected Magic Missile as his 3rd memorized 1st Level.  

Current Party: (Reputation: 5 - Disliked)

Mordred:  Fighter (Blk Gd)/4; Plate Mail w/Lg Shld, +1 B/Swd**, Flail* (SSS**)              

Kagain: Fighter (Bkr)/4; Splint Mail w/B/Axe*** & T/Axe**

Eldoth: Bard/5; Chain Mail, Sh/Bow* & Brazers of Archery, Dgr* (Armor, Sleep, Mirror Image)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Reloads: 0

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Sad news about Nelsy, Blackraven... I've enjoyed to follow her story. Hope Teyl will fare better (more wise and intelligent as luck indeed runs out pretty quick...). And I like your approach to backstory of your characters. Keep it up and safe travels!