• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo's Bhaalspawn Bretheren

Dopplegangers - Merchant League

Wierdo ran into her old mate Aldeth (remember him from Cloakwood?) outside the Merchant League. Well, it seems that he has a problem with shapeshifters that he wants solved. Well, he has come to the right place (well, actually we came to him, but nevermind).

I'll cut to the chase: Wierdo & co cleaned out all the shapeshifters pretty efficiently. This is how they did the biggest battle of them all - involving some 9 or so dopplegangers at once!

After receiving a few warnings from the local populace of merchants, Wierdo invisibly went up to the top floor to scout out what was really happening there - hmmm, lots of dopplegangers.

So lots of buffings later, she brought up the whole party and got them all into position.

Posted Image
"Oooooo, a party!"

Then it was time to launch an Immolation Strategy. This involved Necklaces of Missiles, Fireball spells, potions ....probably five or six fireballs all up. Once the dopplers spotted the party they predictably threw up mirror images - which, of course, do nothing against fireballs.

Posted Image
"This should warm things up a bit!"

The immolation went off well. Most dopplers were killed, or close to it, by the fireballs. Many arrows/darts and Annakin's swords took care of the remaining mirror images and the dopplegangers themselves.

Posted Image
"Five fireballs are in this shot - can you spot them all?"

It was all over in about 2-3 rounds, with most of that happening in the first round. Three dopplers were still alive after the fireballs had all gone off, but they did not last long as they were already injured and under a significant assault from Annakin, Buddha, Yeslick and all the missiles being thrown at them. Time for a mopping-up operation.

Posted Image
"Anyone here like BBQ Doppleganger?"

That was that! No damage was sustained by any party members B)

Edited by Wierdo, 29 March 2011 - 10:59 AM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Wierdo wrote...

Here are some friendly suggestions:

Cheers, I'll crop the pictures and switch to PNG then, that sounds like the best solution. And I think you may be right about embedding images too, that does seem to be more effective than simply linking the pics, and it does break up the monotony caused by huge text blocks. I'll try it out in my next update.

OK, better finish this post off before it gets too long (and schoolteacher-ish!)  [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/wink.png[/smilie]

Nah, your suggestions were really helpful. Thanks again! [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/smile.png[/smilie]

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

Jeff W wrote...
I think with dual classing your effective clevel=(class1+class2)/2. I am not 100% sure of the formula, but I know dual classing is very bad for npc incarnations.

I'm not sure - the game seems to handle multi-classes by adding the levels, but I don't know how it treats duals. Regardless, I got Khalid at L5/5, and I wouldn't have been able to get the XP to get to beyond my test XP quickly, anyway, especially without Korax's help (killing the basilisks that way feels super-cheesy, especially given that I was alone, and that they didn't try to bite him for some reason. I guess SCS Smarter Basilisks is next on my mod list).

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Mullir, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid enter the mines. The encounter little resistance, until they hit a bunch of Duergar dwarves. Mullir scouts ahead and directs a Stinking Cloud from Khalid. Then, Jaheira traps Gorken Bloodaxe with an Entangle whilst Mullir leads a Duergar Cleric and a Duergar Fighter on a merry chase. Khalid hits the warrior with Sleep and everyone showers Gorken with arrows. Unable to flee, he just has to stand and take it. Some Kobolds join the fray, who we dispatch, before killing the Cleric and then finishing Gorken. Aware that there are thieves ahead with poisoned weapons (Khalid died here in my last run) we grab their stuff and decide to back off.

The huge XP from Gorken has boosted Immy to 6500, enough for a level-up. I'd wanted to dual her here but it seems a shame to waste the 1500 spare XP (justifiable to SCK it back afterwards? Probably not, though she does have by far the lowest XP of the party). Getting her to L5 before dualing might be wise, but I want her to get her abilities back ASAP or we won't be able to do Cloakwood.

Bhryaen

Bhryaen
  • Members
  • 1,082 posts

Wierdo wrote...
I notice that you are using JPGs. JPGs are popular here, but they always seem to come out  quite blurry for some reason. It may be to do with the algorithms MS Paint uses (assuming that you are pasting screenshots into MS Paint). Here are some friendly suggestions:

- Try saving as PNG files instead. They seem to work much, much better than JPGs.

Thanks! This a good tip I'll have to experiment with. I once redid all my pictures, thinking the blurriness was due to having edited the pictures on a different computer, but it did no good. I think all mine are .jpg's, and I've been just using MS Paint for cropping as well... somewhat laboriously...

- Embed selected pics into your posts, rather than linking. Carefully embedding selected cropped pics in your posts really brings your characters to life and people can immediately relate to your descriptions of the action. People tend to not click external links unless they have a good reason to. You can still link to pictures if you like, but save that for extra detail as necessary (e.g for large or indulgent pics).

I'd just add to be a little sparing. I keep embedding but I get self-conscious about how much space it takes up in the post page, so I try to prioritize as much as I can (clearly being one who hates to leave things out) by relegating the most possible to links.

I suggest keeping posts reasonably short if possible. Keep paragraphs short as well, and try to break up the text with a few embedded pics, especially for longer posts. If you have more to write about then make another post rather than just creating a huge one. People are more likely to read the details in modest-length posts than in huge posts. It would be a darn shame if people miss the details as I am sure that your party will have many memorable adventures.

This is more of a style question though. I actually like to see different styles of writing as I read through the posts. Some like a brief synopsis, some like a longer accounting, some like lots of pictures, others just a summary, most somewhere between, and sometimes people will vary their style. I like all of it, and it's just art after all... and computer game art at that...Posted Image

OK, better finish this post off before it gets too long (and schoolteacher-ish!)  ;)

What's wrong with schoolteachers? Posted Image "Now, class, let us fry our dopplegangers properly!"

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Personally, I like to write a lot, but I'm conscious that I don't like to read it (not that I'm not interested, but the walls of text can quickly pile up). So, I try to strike a balance there.

I also have enough of a deathwish (both in terms of my character getting killed and in terms of breaking my game with many mods) that I've just converted and added SCS' Improved Deployment for Parties of Assassins. I have no idea if it will work, but it should be fun. For a given value of "fun", anyway. I haven't visited either of the areas where the assassins were originally (Valley of the Tombs, Gullykin) luckily, so I shouldn't end up fighting clones (hopefully!).

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Chronicles of Tyrus the Berserker, part 3

After celebrating their victory over the lighthouse sirens, Tyrus and his group finally decide to clear out the Nashkel mines. On the way south, they tie up some loose ends by dealing with some Gnolls that were tormenting Perdue and bringing Mirianne her husband's letter. Also, during this excursion, Imoen finds some time to experiment with Tarnesh's spellbook and creates an "artifact" which grants her a slight dexterity boost.

Anyway, the party finally arrives at the mines and Tyrus quickly learns that it has been infested with kobolds. Interestingly, out of all party members, those nasty little buggers seem to prefer pelting Quayle with their arrows who is still very fragile with only 16 hit points. As a precaution, Tyrus equips the gnome with the Girdle of Piercing and has him put up both Armor and Shield spells. It turns out well, and the first two levels of the mine are cleared of kobolds without much trouble. However, the third one is literally swarming with the little buggers. Fortunately, both Quayle and Safana had stocked up on Sleep spells which proved invaluable during these encounters. Down at the fourth level the group finds Mulahey, a half-orc priest of Cyric who has organized the mine's infestation. He taunts the party before throwing a pack of kobolds and skeletons at them. Safana manages to knock out most of the kobolds with a timely Sleep spell while Ajantis positions himself to keep the skeletons at bay. Meanwhile, Quayle and Imoen pelt Mulahey with darts while the enraged Tyrus finishes him off with a powerful blow (BTW, he now scores critical hits when he rolls a 19 too, thanks to a recently assigned point in two handed weapon style).

Posted Image

In the priest's chest, the party discovers some letters which implicate a certain Tranzig who is somehow linked to these events. He was last seen lodging at the Feldpost Inn, so the group decides to go there next. Before that, Tyrus informs the Nashkel mayor of his discoveries and the party gets ambushed by yet another assassin. Unlike his predecessors, this Nimbul guy seems to be a capable mage. Although Ajantis quickly dispels his Stoneskin and Mirror Image, the wizard manages to fry Safana with a lightning bolt mere seconds before succumbing to Tyrus' blade. Hmph, it seems that all the money that the party earns goes up for resurrections. And the cost keeps increasing too, Safana's revival makes the party 1200 gp poorer. Oh well, I guess it can't be helped until Branwen is able to cast 4th level spells.

Speaking of which, Safana identifies a very nice ring that the party took from Mulahey which gives Branwen several bonus spell slots. She also reveals that Nimbul was wearing Boots of Avoidance which Tyrus immediately gives to Quayle who has recently gained a level and another 4 hit points. Yay. Anyhow, with Armor, Shield, Boots of Avoidance and the Girdle of Piercing combined, the gnome now has a base AC of 2 and a -12 modifier vs. missiles. Sweet, I guess he won't have to worry about being turned into a pincushion by the kobolds anymore.

Posted Image

After a good night's rest, the party heads back to Bergost and locate Tranzig. Apparently, he's the same mage who had turned Branwen into a stone statue some time ago and the priestess now gets a chance to settle the score. Imoen paralyzes the wizard with a coated dart allowing Branwen to smash him to smithereens with her Spiritual Hammer. At the Jovial Juggler, the party is greeted by Officer Vai who offers to take the bandit scalps that Tyrus had been keeping as trophies off his hands in exchange for gold. Apparently, the bandits have a camp somewhere in the region and the party's next step is to discover more about it. However, Tyrus decides that this will have to wait until they get some better gear.

Party Stats:

Tyrus - Berserker(5)
Ajantis - Inquisitor(5)
Branwen - Cleric(5)
Imoen - Bounty Hunter(5)
Quayle - Wild Mage(5)
Safana - Skald(5)

Edited by Thailog, 29 March 2011 - 10:25 PM.

Jeff W

Jeff W
  • Members
  • 64 posts
Anyone know what is causing this: My evil party members leave forever when dismissed. My rep is 16 and charisma is fine. I am certain that they aren't supposed to leave until 19-20. This is utterly obnoxious, I've already lost Viconia and Montaron forever including equipment. I don't see any installed options in my minimal mods that causes this. I'm tempted to respawn them with CLUAConsole, but only if it's a bug and even then it's dodgy.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Jeff W wrote...

Anyone know what is causing this: My evil party members leave forever when dismissed. My rep is 16 and charisma is fine. I am certain that they aren't supposed to leave until 19-20. This is utterly obnoxious, I've already lost Viconia and Montaron forever including equipment. I don't see any installed options in my minimal mods that causes this. I'm tempted to respawn them with CLUAConsole, but only if it's a bug and even then it's dodgy.

I think the threshold of 19 is only the trigger for them to leave under their own steam - they start getting annoyed with your goody-goody tactics well before then.  I suspect therefore that when you release them they just don't like you enough to stick around - this is not the result of a mod, I remember this type of behaviour from my good-old vanilla days.  For this reason I use Imoen if I temporarily want to free up a space in my party as she is the least disposed to disappear in the way you refer to (if I do need to release others I take the precaution of removing valuable items from them first).

Edited by Grond0, 30 March 2011 - 07:30 AM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Chronicles of Tyrus the Berserker, part 4

Tyrus and his group head southeast, to search the areas adjacent to the mines for any stray kobolds. They rescue a cow from some Xvarts, receive a Protection from Magic scroll from Nafiz the gnome, find a Ring of Fire Resistance in a hidden crack and bring Samuel, the wounded soldier, to a healer. Exploring some nearby caves, the group finds several magic items, including a Wand of Monster Summoning and a Dagger +2. They also deal with a crazed mage who was breeding Mustard Jellies before running into a group of Iron Throne mercenaries.

Posted Image

These guys are pretty dangerous. They have two powerful spellcasters and two thieves who are not shy of using strength and invisibility potions. Ajantis and Imoen focus on the casters while Branwen and Tyrus distract the rogues. Amazingly, both spellslingers fail their saves against Imoen's paralytic darts which gives Ajantis an opportunity to finish them off quickly. Meanwhile, Safana lands a lucky Glitterdust blinding one of the thieves and preventing him from going invisible again. Ajantis and Branwen dispatch the other one with a little help from Quayle's Magic Missiles and the battle is won. Tyrus notices that these guys were hauling a bunch of magical gear so the party heads to the nearest shop to cash in.

After selling off the magical trinkets and some winter wolf pelts at the Nashkel store, the party ends up with nearly 7000 gp on their hands. Time for some serious shopping. Back in Bergost, Tyrus gets a Full Plate for Ajantis, the Stalwart Buckler for Imoen and an Amulet of Protection for Quayle. At High Hedge, Safana and Quayle pick up some new spells, most notably Horror, Flaming Arrow, Hold Person and Skull Trap. The party then heads south, with Ajantis remembering some rumors about an evil priest who is terrorizing the locals with a host of undead creatures. After dispatching a pack of worgs, several ghasts and some hobgoblins (one of which drops a Short Sword +2) the party locates the mad cleric.

Posted Image

Bassilus has surrounded himself with undead minions whom he now considers his family. Cute, time to bring this madman back to reality. Tyrus and Ajantis charge ahead while Branwen casts Holy Smite. Surprisingly, it has no effect on the skeletons though it does damage Bassilus a bit. Safana casts Glitterdust but she only manages to blind the crazed priest and one of his zombies. This gives Ajantis enough leverage to finish off the madman while Tyrus mops up what's left of his minions.

Interestingly, the skeleton archers still seem to have Quayle as their preferred target, despite his uber AC vs. missiles. Hehe, I guess the SCS AI isn't really omniscient after all. Anyway, Ajantis points out that the Temple of Lathander has a bounty on Bassilus' head so the party heads there next. After receiving the reward, the group tracks back to Bergost where Imoen picks up the Shadow Armor while Quayle revisits High Hedge to procure a Deep Red Ioun Stone (it provides a +1 dexterity bonus). Afterwards, the party heads back toward Nashkel.

Party Stats:

Tyrus - Berserker(5)
Ajantis - Inquisitor(5)
Branwen - Cleric(5)
Imoen - Bounty Hunter(6)
Quayle - Wild Mage(5)
Safana - Skald(6)

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo's Bhaalspawn Bretheren

Iron Throne

Wierdo's band had been in contact with Scar of the Iron Fist, who bade us go and investigate the Iron Throne. As you would expect, the party entered invisibly, through the sewers, and moved silently up to thetop of the tower.

Wierdo invisibly scoped out the top floor, and found it to be full of nasty bad-arses! Also, Emissary Tar is there. Which is obviously impossible because we just saw her downstairs! On checking further in, Wierdo found Tar's body. So this one is obviously a fake! However, she has to be sure.

So, the party moves upstairs invisibly and spreads out.

Posted Image

Seems like time for another Immolation Strategy!

Annakin has shown remarkable diplomatic flair on many occasions. So, he puts on his fire resistance gear, and appears from no-where to ask Emissary Tar what she is doing here. He keeps prodding. And prodding. Until finally the Doppleganger loses it, changes form and attacks!

Just what Wierdo hoped for! That was also the signal for everyone to execute an Immolation Strategy.

Posted Image

The fireballs were not enough to bring them down, but it at least damaged all of them (some a lot). Then they were killed without too much fuss. The only difficulty was with the mage Aral, who has cast Shadow Door (I think) and the party had to cast Detect Invisibility a couple of times to find him.

Time for Candlekeep!

Edited by Wierdo, 30 March 2011 - 09:42 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Bhryaen wrote...

Wierdo wrote....
OK, better finish this post off before it gets too long (and schoolteacher-ish!)  ;)

What's wrong with schoolteachers? Posted Image "Now, class, let us fry our dopplegangers properly!"

LOL, nothing is wrong with them, my Dad was a schoolteacher (art)! I have also worked with many good ones. It is a skill to be admired :)

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Mullir's Travels

We decide to press on into the mines, and find the source of the problem - a half-orc named Mulahey. He summons a lot of minions but Jaheira's Entangle blocks them in the narrow corridor to the room we're in. Khalid, Imoen and Mullir turn there attentions on Mulahey - Mullir sneaks behind him to deliver a stealthy blow, only it turns out that bastard swords aren't suitable for backstabs! Damn, I forgot that. Regardless, he does 11 damage and the others make short work of the guy. He summons more minions, so Khalid lets off a Sleep spell, and we finish him off. Then it's just a routine mopping-up operation.

We rescue Xan, though he's only L4 (I was hoping he'd be L6, but nvm) and knows very few spells, so much as I like him, I might drop him off in Beregost or somewhere (his 12hp is a terrible liability, especially for a no-reload) - I think Minsc and Dynaheir would be a better choice. This time, Khalid is a mage, but my main char isn't, so I'd like some extra magic support, and with Khalid not wearing armour, it might be prudent to have another melee-capable character, so Minsc and Dynaheir could be perfect. I wonder about getting a Cleric, though, since we only have Jaheira for healing.

I also loaded up a quicksave I'd made just after leaving the mines to check that the amazonians weren't there - they weren't. So, it seems like Improved Assassin Party Deployment installed OK, and I'll be getting a visit sometime soon...

Yogohong

Yogohong
  • Members
  • 17 posts
Adventures of Yogo Hong

Yogo Hong
Wild Mage
Stats
10/18/16/18/18/10

Mods:
BG1 Unfinished Business
BG2 Tweak
BG 1 Stratagems
Tutu Fix
Widescreen

Yogo Hong, Wild Mage extraordinary, has been thrust into the deepest of conspiracies. Early this morning his foster father Gorion asked him to accompany him on a trip outside the castle walls. How fascinating! Gorion never let Yogo outside as his magics were too dangerous. Yogo gathered his things, visited a few people some bad some good, and said goodbye to those who mattered to him (read: none).

Out on the road Gorion and Yogo were ambushed by the most evil of villains. Two and a Half Ogre and some woman. Gorion sacrificed himself to save Yogo, which he was very grateful for. Death was not a high priority on his
list. Yogo made sure to return the favor some day, but quickly realized that with Gorion dead, he really didn’t have to. So he went on his merry way to enjoy his freedom.

Yogo ran to the High Hedge where he tried to become more power by casting spells upon himself. Unfortunately one of his spells went horribly wrong! The very skin and fabric of Yogo changed color to a golden yellow. Thus from hence on, he was no longer known as Yogo Hong, but as the Golden Man.

Posted Image
(The ladies dig the glow!)

Yogo travelled wide and far; to the Friendly Arm Inn in search of friends, to the farmlands, to Ulgoths Beard and deep down to Durlags Tower. One of his travels brought him to the lands of the basilisks where he met a friendly ghoul named Korax! What a talkative chap. Yogo accepted his company, but the journey was short lived. Korax soon feel to a horde of talosi and Yogo coul only run in horror knowing that his one and true friend had died a horrible death!

http://img684.images...koraxalive.png/Posted Image
(Last photo of Korax alive. He was my true friend!)

Golden Man went to the south, deep down to the Nashkel Mines where he acquired a Rod of Frost. Equipped with this awesome weapon of might and power, he swore he would take revenge on the talosi who killed his best friend, Korax the Brave and Faithful. The Golden Man returned to the lands of the basilisks and slew many a talosi and basilisk too. His might grew and grew to finally encompass the true aura of his being.

He was The Golden Man, Defender of Friends and Slayer of Fiends!

(Yogo Hong – Wild Mange – Level 5)

Edited by Yogohong, 30 March 2011 - 07:26 PM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Chronicles of Tyrus the Berserker, part 5

Tyrus and his group continue exploring the wilderness areas around Nashkel. Not much to report here, Imoen gets the Bracers of Archery after dueling "the fastest dart thrower in the west" while Ajantis acquires a Girdle of Bluntness for protecting a Dryad from some ruffians. Continuing westwards, the party eventually reaches the Gnoll Fortress where they are attacked by an overconfident pair of ogrilion thugs. It turns out that one of them was carrying the Gauntlets of Dexterity which our resident paladin promptly equips for a nice AC boost.

Posted Image

As the party travels north, Tyrus takes some time to read the Tome of Leadership which Imoen found in some desolate cave. He learns how to appear more charismatic and manages to improve his bartering skills a bit. Meanwhile, Ajantis received the Boots of the North as a reward for saving a man from an angry mountain bear. Heading east, the group encounters Drizzt Do'Urden, the (in)famous drow ranger, and assists him in dealing with some gnolls, not that he needs any help mind you. In the next area, the party dispatches about a dozen ogres when Quayle accidentally runs into one and bites the dust after a single hit from the ogre. Sigh, back to the Nashkel temple and another 1200 gp down the drain. I'm seriously thinking about ditching this guy, he's just too fragile (not to mention costly) to have around in a no-reload game.

While the group is still in town, Tyrus sells a few wolf pelts and Ajantis picks up a Large Shield +1. Having had enough of the wilderness for now, the group leaves for Bergost to tend to some unfinished business. Branwen gets a Medium Shield +1 from Bjornin who is grateful to the party for taking care of some half-ogres. The group then clears out Landrin's house of the spider infestation and Tyrus returns the gnome's belongings to her back at the Friendly Arm Inn. After everyone gets some rest, he finally decides it's time to search for the bandit camp.

The party heads east, towards Peldvale, where they encounter SCS-improved Giant Spiders for the first time. They've already killed a bunch of Huge Spiders, no biggie, but these guys are nothing compared to their giant cousins. Three of those giant monstrosities ambush the party in the middle of the forest. One of them captures Ajantis inside his web and then proceeds to munch on the ensnared paladin, poisoning him in the process. Ouch. Even with his Inquisitor training, it appears that he isn't safe from being held by webs. Quayle wastes a few castings of Sleep on the critters but they all make their saves. In desperation, Branwen tries a Holy Smite and miraculously, it works!

Posted Image

One spider is down and the two that remain are blinded, which allows the enraged Tyrus to finish them off. It turns out the creatures were actually evil which made them susceptible to Branwen's spell. Ajantis' paladin senses confirm this when the party runs into the next batch. The same strategy works here as well and the party survives the encounter mostly unharmed. Nearby, the group encounters Raiken and his bandit buddies. After beating the crap out of them, Tyrus learns the location of their hideout. After picking their spells carefully everyone rests, and in the morning, the party proceeds to the bandits' camp.

Party stats:

Tyrus - Berserker(6)
Ajantis - Inquisitor(6)
Branwen - Cleric(6)
Imoen - Bounty Hunter(6)
Quayle - Wild Mage(5)
Safana - Skald(6)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Yogohong wrote...
(Yogo Hong – Wild Mange – Level 5)

Nice story - is Wild Mange a typo or did something else go wrong with his spells?Posted Image

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Further adventures of Dizzy.

On their way to pick up Alora the party was ambushed by Molkar and co.  The magic users were dealt with quickly and though some skeletons tried to intervene the others didn't fare much better. 

After a tough couple of games relying heavily on a single +1 sling I'm taking it easy this time by allowing use of mod weapons.  Dizzy with his throwing dagger and Kagain with his screaming death axe quickly turn most opponents into mincemeat.  With Alora and Edwin on board the party headed south to demonstrate this against a xvart village:
Posted Image
As partial compensation for allowing mod weapons I haven't acquired items like ring of free action so the xvarts were able to strike back through half a dozen shamans.  There was a flicker of unease when Dizzy was held in the course of trying to rescue a static Kagain, but the remaining xvarts were dealt with speedily, though not quite quickly enough to save Kagain.

The gnoll stronghold and surrounding areas presented no problems, but there was an incident of note in the valley of the tombs.  Thinking that the revenant was attacking Kagain I almost woke up too late to the fact he was actually using elastic arms on Dizzy - look at the reach on him herePosted Image.
Posted Image

The next party death occurred when picking up the pieces after the obligatory travel ambush.  A worg suddenly teleported in and a single critical was enough to account for Alora.  In the course of travelling we had picked up somewhere a wand of fire with 10 fireball charges on it.  It was rather annoying therefore when Edwin used the 1 and only scorcher charge on some trolls and the wand disappeared in a puff of smoke.

After laboriously working their way through the Firewine ruins it was nice to get out the other end and deal with a traitorous halfing.  What was a bit odd was that an invisible entity appeared to object to us taking his possessions and called the guards.  Next up was Ulcaster.  The wolf himself didn't last long and the skeleton mage (that I haven't seen before) wasn't much more trouble.  What was impressive about him was just how long after he was already dead that he managed to cast a spell.
Posted Image

On to Durlag's Tower to clear out the upper portions.  Alora found it difficult to shake off a basilisk and had to play hide and seek up and down the stairs several times before Kagain arrived with his axe.  Then Riggilo gave some rant about not even being able to approach the stairs just because we'd given him a nice present.  I knew he was lying and he was down those stairs like a shot as soon as we confronted him.

Moving up towards the bandit camp some amazons thought we looked easy targets.  They got a swift lesson, though Edwin failed to detect invisibility in time to save himself from a backstab.  With the loot from their bodies party funds have climbed over the 100k mark, but I don't feel any pressing need to go shopping yet.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
So I seem to have botched up my install pretty badly. I decided to try and take on the DH assassins on the South Beregost Road, Isolde and Tristin, only they weren't there! So anyway I reinstalled everything, reset certain global variables, and re-replaced Isolde's bugged throwing dagger. That did the trick, and Mullir and his party proceeded to deal with both them (thanks to Stinking Cloud, Blindness and Entangle) and the assassins on the coast way (Khalid did get Confused AND hit by Rigid Thinking here, but all three of these assassins are glass cannon with low HP).

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Chronicles of Tyrus the Berserker, part 6

Tyrus and his party are slowly approaching the bandit camp from the southeast. Near the main encampment the first wave of enemies charges them. It's a bunch of hobgoblins led by Ardenor Crush. They don't last long. Next up, the party encounters some bandits led by a lieutenant. Their cold arrows sting and Branwen is forced to retreat from the battle to heal herself. Tyrus and Ajantis wear down the lieutenant with their combined blows while Safana softens up his underlings with a Glitterdust.

Quayle tries a Sleep spell but it has no effect. Ok, that was kind of what I expected, but then Branwen tosses a Holy Smite into the fray and it has no effect either! Tyrus can't believe this until Ajantis confirms it by casting Detect Evil. Apparently, none of these bandits are truly evil (a coding oversight?). Hmm, I guess they are just misunderstood. Anyway, Quayle finishes off the lieutenant with a Flame Arrow which allows the party's frontliners to mop up the stragglers.

Posted Image

They prove hardier than expected thanks to their healing potions, but ultimately fall to Tyrus' and Ajantis' swords. From the lieutenant's corpse the party recovers a Full Plate which Tyrus immediately equips, passing down his Ankheg Armor to Branwen. In front of the main tent, the group disposes of some more longbow wielding bandits. Tough bunch, they routinely chug healing and strength potions, use cold enchanted arrows and are immune to sleep too. After a while, they fall, but not before dealing a significant amount of damage to most party members.

Before entering the tent, Branwen heals everyone up and uses the last of her buffing spells, sensing that a tough battle is about to ensue. Inside, a mage and several of his lackeys guard an elven prisoner. The wizard tries to put up a mirror image but Quayle knocks them down with some Magic Missiles just as Ajantis casts his True Sight.

Posted Image

Tyrus chops up the enemy warriors while Quayle nails the mage with a Spook spell, effectively sealing his fate. No deaths and only minor injuries sustained, not bad at all. After the battle is over, Tyrus frees the elven prisoner who explains that an organization called the Iron Throne is behind all the recent events. They have a seat somewhere in Baldur's Gate but Tazok, one of the organization's top brass, apparently makes frequent visits to a mine located deep within Cloakwood Forest. In a nearby chest, the party finds some documents which confirm the elf's tale as well as several spell scrolls.

Back outside, Tyrus orders the party to conduct a thorough search of the place. Imoen unlocks all chests with ease and the party loots several magic items, including a Wand of Fear which Safana intends to keep and a Fireball scroll which Quayle promptly scribes into his spellbook. With the bandit camp cleared out, the party heads back to Bergost to inform Officer Vai of the situation. After selling off all surplus gear and bandit scalps, the party ends up with over 18000 gp so Quayle picks up a Robe of Neutral Archmagi at High Hedge. Hopefully, this will give him a bit more staying power. As the party rests and ponders their next steps, Tyrus experiences a surreal dream and receives another innate ability in the morning. Apparently, he can now cure afflictions such as poison and disease with a mere touch. Sweet, this should come in handy if the party encounters any more spiders. Onward to Cloakwood Forest then.

Party stats:

Tyrus - Berserker(6)
Ajantis - Inquisitor(6)
Branwen - Cleric(6)
Imoen - Bounty Hunter(6)
Quayle - Wild Mage(6)
Safana - Skald(6)

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@Thailog: Nice pics! Lovely bloodbath :-). Well done with the bandit camp, it can be pretty hard.

Flamedance

Flamedance
  • Members
  • 370 posts
[quote]Thailog wrote...

Tyrus can't believe this until Ajantis confirms it by casting Detect Evil. Apparently, none of these bandits are truly evil (a coding oversight?). [quote]

Actually, yes. You will also meet Neutral paladins in SOA. NPC alignments in BG(2) are a complete mess.

Edited by Flamedance, 31 March 2011 - 06:33 PM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Flamedance wrote...

Actually, yes. You will also meet Neutral paladins in SOA. NPC alignments in BG(2) are a complete mess.

Really? I though the various mods/fixpacks would have taken care of such things by now.

In their defense, this is not really apparent unless one uses alignment based spells/weapons, but still.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Wierdo wrote...

@Thailog: Nice pics! Lovely bloodbath :-). Well done with the bandit camp, it can be pretty hard.

Hehe, when Tyrus crits, the ground shakes and entrails spill. [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/lol.png[/smilie]

I've seen him do over 40 damage on a critical several times now.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Thailog wrote...

... then Branwen tosses a Holy Smite into the fray and it has no effect either! Tyrus can't believe this until Ajantis confirms it by casting Detect Evil. Apparently, none of these bandits are truly evil (a coding oversight?). Hmm, I guess they are just misunderstood.

Maybe the run-of-the-mill bandits are not evil, but the Black Talon Elite and the leaders are! Here is archival footage of Wierdo's party using Holy Smite (Finch casting) on a mixed group of bandits. Note that only the Black Talons and Khosann seem to have been damaged by it.

Posted Image
"Take that you evil dogs!"

Edited by Wierdo, 31 March 2011 - 10:47 PM.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Mullir and co. travel to Larswood, but they are set upon by Black Talon Elites. Alas, we're low on spells and Khalid falls before he can quaff a potion. So, back to the FAI to get him raised...