Tutufix
BG1 NPC
BG1 UB
TutuGUI
aTweaks
Item Randomiser
Level 1 NPC's
Generalised Biffing

Grolp, NE male kensai dwarf (should be fun while it lasts). Portrait of Kagain.

Str 18/80
Dex 17
Con 19
Int 11
Wis 9
Cha 11

**** long sword

Well Gorion is dead and Imoen is wandering around on her own. I've dealt with some hobgoblins for Joia. Might do some easy jobs before picking up some lackeys.

Yogohong

Yogohong
  • Members
  • 17 posts
The Golden Man continued his journey in quest of finding a friend and uncovering the conspiracy. He had heard of a place called Durlag's Tower and so he requested that Imoen joined him for an adventure. They penetrated the upper layers and the first layer downwards, uncovering lost treasures. After a few tries, the duo returned to the surface where Imoen was left behind.

The Golden Man then enlisted the aid of the stout dwarf Kagain who turned out to be a true friend. Together they briefly enlisted the aid of the thief, Safana, who could not stop her pickpocketing spree. She was left behind when her pickpocketing got out of hand.

The Golden Man and Kagain went to the Nashkel Mines and killed a cleric called Muhaley. His contact was a mage named Tranzig in Beregost, so The Golden Man and Kagain went there as well to have a little "friendly" talk. Tranzig died of over exposure to friendliness.

Having knowledge of where the bandit camp was situated, Kagain and The Golden Man sneaked in during the night, uncovered the documents showing the base of operations of those who were truly behind the evil conspiracy. They went to the Cloakwood Forest to investigate.

Sadly, it is here our adventure ends as well. While trying to steal some artifacts from a very large and fat lady, The Golden Man was entangled by spiders and Kagain was left to fend for himself. Two Sword Spiders made quick of Kagain and The Golden Man could watch in horror as the spiders began devouring him bit by bit.

Rest in Piece, Golden Man.

(Yogo Hong - Wild Mage - level 7)
(Status = Dead)

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Chronicles of Tyrus the Berserker, part 7

In Cloakwood, the party has a rather nasty run in with a bunch of druids who were about to kill a man. Tyrus interferes and the treehuggers attack. They start off by charming Safana but fail miserably on their attempts to sway Ajantis and the enraged Tyrus to their side. Their leader puts up a stoneskin but Quayle's Magic Missiles cut through it and disrupt his spellcasting.

Posted Image

Additionally, the cold damage from Ajantis' sword and the magical damage from Branwen's Spiritual Hammer isn't stopped by Stoneskin either, so Senyad and his cohorts soon rejoin mother earth. After recovering from the charm spell, Safana identifies the Cloak of Non-Detection which Imoen found on a random Tasloi. Nifty. The group proceeds deeper into the forest only to get ambushed by no less than 4 Phase Spiders who simultaneously teleport on top of the party out of thin air!

Posted Image

As usual, Quayle gets bitten and goes down within seconds. Sigh. Ajantis and the enraged Tyrus manage to keep the spiders distracted long enough for Branwen to cast a Holy Smite which softens them up considerably. A few sword heaves later the spiders are phased into oblivion, but the party has to track back all the way to the Friendly Arm Inn to resurrect Quayle the Fragile yet again.

After this side trip, the group encounters Tiber, a young man who claims that his brother had found an enchanted sword, specifically designed to combat spiders. Tyrus is intrigued and promises to search for the lad. He soon finds what's left of him inside a spider-woman's den. The disfigured creature taunts the party and orders her spider minions to attack. Tyrus boldly charges forward only to get caught in a Giant Spider's web. The two Sword Spiders jump in and start slashing at the helpless warrior while Safana uses the Wand of Monster Summoning to conjure up some cannon fodder. Ajantis manages to slay one of the spiders while Branwen desperately attempts to heal Tyrus.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, her valiant efforts are in vain. Despite the group's best effort, a Giant Spider joins the fray and his poisonous bite seals the Tyrus' fate. The berserker's comrades watch in horror as his body dissolves and his soul departs for places unknown.

THE END

Final party stats:

Tyrus - Berserker(6)
Ajantis - Inquisitor(6)
Branwen - Cleric(6)
Imoen - Bounty Hunter(7)
Quayle - Wild Mage(6)
Safana - Skald(7)

Summary

Well, it was a fun romp, that much is certain. I still think that a berserker is a great choice for a no-reload run. His enraged state makes him immune to most debilitating effects that take control away from the player (i.e. confusion, hold, fear, stun...) which, IMHO, are the the main cause of protagonist deaths. Unfortunately, I got careless and let Tyrus charge recklessly into every battle forgetting that his berserk doesn't protect him from stuff like spiderwebs. While enraged, he had over 100 hit points and an AC of -6, but that became meaningless once he got webbed since enemies auto-hit helpless targets. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks to everyone who has been following Tyrus' adventures and good luck to you all! :)

P.S.

I intend to continue Tyrus' playthrough offline, so I have one last question. Is it ok to enter him into the BG2 No Reload challenge once I'm done with Tutu, or would his death in BG1 violate the rules?

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Yogohong wrote...

Sadly, it is here our adventure ends as well. While trying to steal some artifacts from a very large and fat lady, The Golden Man was entangled by spiders and Kagain was left to fend for himself. Two Sword Spiders made quick of Kagain and The Golden Man could watch in horror as the spiders began devouring him bit by bit.

Looks like both Tyrus and Golden Man met their end at the hand of SCS's Improved Spiders. Condolences.

Personally, I think I'm going to skip over that component in any future runs. I'm not bothered by the webs, they are managable to a degree, but having every Phase Spider on the map insta-teleport to your party right after it enters a new area is a bit too cheesy for my tastes.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Condolences, Yogohong and Thailog. I've always thought the spider area was tough, and last time on a no-reload I just skipped it... and that was without SCS. I'm a bit worried for my own safety, now, since AFAIK Harder Spiders is working just fine on my new install...

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Thailog wrote...

Yogohong wrote...

Looks like both Tyrus and Golden Man met their end at the hand of SCS's Improved Spiders. Condolences.

Personally, I think I'm going to skip over that component in any future runs. I'm not bothered by the webs, they are managable to a degree, but having every Phase Spider on the map insta-teleport to your party right after it enters a new area is a bit too cheesy for my tastes.

My condolances to the both of you as well :( So sad to see mighty heroes felled.

I use SCS *without* the improved spiders. The web-casting giant spiders were just too much for a low-level party - they could spawn at any time while travelling between areas and just devour everyone. It is just too much cheese for my taste. I try not to play my party too cheesily, and expect the same from my mods.

Edited by Wierdo, 01 April 2011 - 10:55 AM.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Mullir's Travels

Just travelled to High Hedge (was thinking of looking for Perdue's sword, which I think I've lost, and maybe shopping, but my main plan is to go and find Tranzig) where I was accosted by Molkar and his gang. Turns out I managed to make Improved Deployment for Assassin Parties work outside of SCS after all - the only problem was that due to a limitation of BG1 scripting, I had to make them pop up right on top of the PC. Despite the fact that I did this to myself, I still wasn't expecting it, and the close quarters made it extra dangerous. I was able to send their mage to sleep and interrupt a lot of the cleric's spells, but not before Imoen got held. Meanwhile, Jaheira was being chased by the two melee guys, and took quite a beating despite her -6 AC. Well, we killed the cleric and moved on to the other two, assisted by Khalid's Flame Arrow and Magic Missiles, but I sure as hell worried for Jaheira's life. To top it off, a pair of skeletons appears and started throwing daggers at Imoen. I thought she was a gonner too, but Mullir managed to take them out quickly with his bow. So, no casualties this time, and Imoen reached L3. Time to buy her some new spells, but not before we go back to Beregost to rest up - I'm expecting the amazons could be popping up any time.

Yogohong

Yogohong
  • Members
  • 17 posts
Where the Golden Man failed, Tachi the Shapeshifter shall prevail!

The Wolf Pack Part One

Tachi (M) - Shapeshifter
Alacia (F) - Shapeshifter
Alicia (F) - Shapeshifter
Wyssi (F) - Shapeshifter
Natali (F) - Shapeshifter

The group exits Candlekeeper faster than a gibberling after an adventurer and ends up on the road after the unfortunate death of Gorion. Determined to get to the bottom of his murder, The Wolf Pack sets out to the Friendly Arm Inn. Along the way they are assaulted by gibberlings, wolves, xvarts and other horrendous monsters. Many of the Wolf Pack fall victim to their blades along the way,  but they are brought back to life in the nearby temples.

Along the way the Wolf Pack recruits an elf by the name of Coran. He provides ranged support and the Wolf Pack encounters little resistance from here on. One of their adventures took them to the reportedly fastest dart thrower in the West. He may have been the fastest, but now he is also the deadest.

Posted Image
(Not so fast now, eh?!)

Amongst the loot, the Wolf Pack discovered the braces of archery. Coran received these as thanks for his excellent archery skills. Sadly, this was a mistake as the scoundrel left the group shortly after due to his overtly dangerous love for Wyvern's and their heads. He also stole an ankegh armor. The Wolf Pack shall not forget his transgressions if they ever meet him again!

Next they travelled to Nashkel where they hired the ranger Minsc to aid him in his quest. The Wolf Pack travelled to the Gnoll Stronghold where many gnolls were slain. Sadly, many of the Wolf Pack were slain as well, and requent returns were in order to best the stronghold. Finally, the gnolls acknowledged defeat and Minsc's charge Dynaheir was freed. Sadly for Minsc and Dynaheir, the Wolf Pack does not allow non-shapeshifters to have a permanent spot in the group and so Minsc and Dynaheir had to continue their travels on their own accord. 

The Wolf Pack returned to Nashkel for much needed rest and headed to the Friendly Arm Inn to return a lost girdle. Now they contemplate their next move.

Overview

Tachi - Level 4
Alacia - Level 3
Alicia - Level 4
Wyssi - Level 4
Natali - Level 4

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo's Bhaalspawn Bretheren

Catacombs

Wierdo's band revisited Candlekeep and had many wierd adventures before getting thrown in prison for killing Rieltar. Our argument was that the evil schemer deserved it, especially from Yeslick's perspective.

Anyway, the party found themselves pushing on through the catacombs below Candlekeep in order to survive. One pretty cool outcome of this was that Wierdo found the Tome of Gainful Exercise, which she gave to Buddha. He read this and his strength went from 18 (+1/+2) right up to 19 (+4/+9), This means that he won't have to wear that Girdle of Hill Giant Strength anymore, so he gave that to Wierdo.

Wierdo also found a Tome on Understanding (+1 WIS) , which means that she has now reached the dizzy heights of 14 WIS. Not bad for a gnome.

Anyway, I can tell that you are all keen for anotherinstallment , so here goes.

Moving through the caves below Candlekeep, Wierdo noticed something very strange while scouting:

Posted Image
"OK, that is definitely suspicious."

So Wierdo gets the party to spread out for an Immolation Strategy. Annakin breaks a bottle on his head and Xan and Wierdo use wands of Fire first - because they are quicker than a spell. Seeing Wierdo for the first time, Prat starts talking to her. I find it interesting that Prat talks about Wierdo's party, despite not seeing them.

Posted Image
"It gunna get hot in a moment."

The fireballs work well. From the screams of pain, it seems that there are four bad-dude thieves and two lesser air elementals. So the party keeps up the pressue using more Fireballs, Arrows of Detonation, bottles and Necklace of Missiles. Wierdo & Imoen would actually force-aim their arrows at Annakin. Yeslick even tried out a Holy Smite, just to be different.

Posted Image
"Shriek! Arrrgh! Oh, let me at that water! Urrrrgh!"

Eventually they are all dead. At first, Annakin is worried that there is no-one for him to shove his sword through, but there was one lesser air elemental left for Anni to kill (top right, near Wierdo). He made short work of it. It turned out that this elemental has been buzzing Wierdo during the one round or so that the encounter lasted for, but she just ignored it because she had stoneskins on and was busy immolating Iron Throne baddies.

Posted Image
"Hey, where did all my new friends go? Sizzle .... "

Roughly 10-11 fireballs of different kinds were used for this encounter - possibly more than needed as Prat's party had enough time to quaff potions of extra healing. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

Next!?

Edited by Wierdo, 10 April 2011 - 05:58 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
SCS spiders with Centeol. Ugh.

Grolp, NE male kensai dwarf. Portrait of Kagain.

An ogrillion south of Beregost forces me to down a blue potion before I kill it. The same thing happens with a second one but my reward from Mirianne is a magical ring.

After listening to Noober I admit I'm Greywolf to get 200gp. Returning Captain Brage is next.

I manage to kill Caldo but have to escape from Krumm and return to extract revenge. He makes me run a second time. He is not so lucky the third time.
Posted Image

After taking a reward from a woodland nymph(*) I try to kill a dire wolf and have to run away again. I'm successful at the second attempt then kill four gnolls before returning a drowned cat to a small child. Gnarl and Hairtooth bash me about twice so I leave them alone and pick on a slow ogre instead.
Posted Image

Two attempts are needed before Arghain is killed. A wolf interrupts my rest but grants me more experience (level 4). Then I head to Nashkel and pick up a couple of scrolls. Then I locate and de-petrify Corianna who informs me the time has come to recruit some followers.

A bard and fighter start arguing immediately so I dump the bard for another short fighter. To avoid confusion I have to back-comb my beard, or something.
Posted Image

Shar Teel, crossbow.
Montaron, shortbow.
Xzar, sling. (*) No woodland nymph so will see what if anything happens elsewhere.
Tiax, sling.
Kagain, longbow?

Greywolf is our test subject, and confirms we are suitably equipped to go adventuring.

Edited by Gate70, 01 April 2011 - 09:19 PM.

Bhryaen

Bhryaen
  • Members
  • 1,082 posts
Grond0, where did you get those trolls and xvart shamans from? I never heard of them. Plus are you using a mod for IWD spell effects or something like that? Your games always look so different!

Belated added condolences for Yogohong and Thailog. I really liked those stories, especially the Golden Man's though the Wolf Pack is certainly a twist. Very funny too about the evil spiders and "misunderstood" bandits. hehehe If I make it that far, I'll be adding quite the cautionary edge to my spats with the Cloakwood spiders...

Edited by Bhryaen, 02 April 2011 - 02:08 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Bhryaen wrote...

Grond0, where did you get those trolls and xvart shamans from? I never heard of them. Plus are you using a mod for IWD spell effects or something like that? Your games always look so different!

Belated added condolences for Yogohong and Thailog. I really liked those stories, especially the Golden Man's though the Wolf Pack is certainly a twist. Very funny too about the evil spiders and "misunderstood" bandits. hehehe If I make it that far, I'll be adding quite the cautionary edge to my spats with the Cloakwood spiders...

I'm not actually 100% sure.  I've seen them before, so they are not NTOTSC - in fact the first time I came across the xvart shamans they killed me.  I suspect they are either the result of DSOTSC or an effect of having increased difficulty on Tutu style levelled spawns within BGT.

I don't think I've installed any of the options for changing spell effects etc, so I'm not sure why my games might look different - possibly the effect of playing on a widescreen?

Wierdo wrote...

My condolances to the both of you as well.  So sad to see mighty heroes felled.

I use SCS *without* the improved spiders. The web-casting giant spiders were just too much for a low-level party - they could spawn at any time while travelling between areas and just devour everyone. It is just too much cheese for my taste. I try not to play my party too cheesily, and expect the same from my mods.

I agree the giant spiders were a bit much if you were not expecting them, although they were not too difficult if you were (like most things!).  However, the latest version of SCS has significantly changed them.  Instead of sending out an area web spell the spiders specifically target individual characters, i.e. if you operate a full party you will always have some characters left free to take instant revenge if the spiders attack.  This makes the spiders a very manageable challenge, even without using free action or some sort of spell protection - they might kill one or two characters in a low level party, but your PC should be safe unless you expose him unnecessarily.

The phase spiders are also no real threat if you carry potions of antidote.  Their basic attacks are not particularly vicious, although their poison does a lot of damage quickly.  With antidotes even several spiders attacking at once should not cause a party much trouble.

My computer blew up yesterday so I'm not sure how long it will be before I can continue my game, even if the save position proves to be recoverable from the hard disk.  I am typing this on a rather elderly and arthritic laptop, which for some reason is not displaying many of the links in posts properly, so I haven't been able to enjoy Wierdo's latest immolation strategy!  I think I did play BG on it years ago, but don't think it's worth trying to install mods on it - the 12" screen would be too annoying even if I was somehow successful with that.  Good spider-hunting to everyone out there.

Yogohong

Yogohong
  • Members
  • 17 posts
The Wolf Pack Part Two

After having contemplated their next move at the Friendly Arm Inn, the Wolf Pack headed out into the wilds. A little exercise was in order to stay fit and so the Wolf Pack wandered around aimlessly for the fun of it. They came upon the ruins of Ulcaster and were met by a horde of undead monsters and kobolds. The Wolf Pack engaged the enemy, but were quickly outnumbered. The situation was bad and the Wolf Pack retreated after having lost one of their members.

Posted Image
Run! Run for your lives!

The Wolf Pack ran for the temple and brought the deceased Alicia back to life. Having discussed their experience, the Wolf Pack agreed not to visit the ruins of Ulcaster in the immediate future. Tachi, the leader of the Wolf Pack, decided that they should head west instead. The females agreed and followed in his wake. After many hours of travel, they came to an area situated south of the High Hedge. It was a forest area with sporadic spots of plains and mountains. Here they encountered something very peculiar. A talking chicken!

Posted Image
My dinner talks now?

The Wolf Pack soon discovered that this was no ordinary chicken. This was Melicamp, an apprentice to the highly talented Thalantyr in the High Hedge. He implored us to help him and having ethical problems eating talking food, the Wolf Pack decided to escort him back to the High Hedge and seek help. Thalantyr was relunctant to help at first, but Tachi convinced him if only to transform Melicamp into something less delicious. However, Melicamp never became a human again as he died during the magical experiment. Such are the ways of magic; unpredictable.

Posted Image
When did I decide I wanted a lecture, old man?!

With the business of Melicamp taken care of (or eliminated), the Wolf Pack needed some action. Still remembering the incident at Ulcaster, Tachi convinced the rest of the group to seek revenge. So they travelled back to Ulcaster and came upon the same horde which had forced them to retreat earlier. This time around, vengeance was theirs and the horde became the dust which now blows over the cliffs of Ulcaster.

Posted Image
Another bites the dust...

Licking their wounds and tending to their fallen comrades, the Wolf Pack headed back west into safer territory. They came upon the road leading to Nashkel and decided to follow it, hoping to find some easy game. That is when they ran into the traitor known as Coran. It took all the might of the Wolf Pack not to rip him to shreds. Instead, an agreement was made. Coran would hand over the items he stole and the Wolf Pack would leave him alone. After the exchange, they separated and have never met since.

Posted Image
Traitorous lies!

Remembering the important position, which Coran had precided over, the Wolf Pack concluded that they would still need a non-permanent member to provide ranged support. Having recalled a ranger running around near the High Hedge area, they opted to hire and provide him with the reclaimed equipment from Coran. The ranger's name was Kivan.

Posted Image
This guy is not a traitor!

The Wolf Pack contemplates their next move.

Overview

Tachi - Level 4
Alacia - Level 4
Alicia - Level 4
Wyssi - Level 4
Natali - Level 4

P.S I have one last image from a previous game that I wanted to share. It is a picture of the battle underneath the ruins of Ulcaster against the Wolf of Ulcaster. Since my main character was the only one who could hit it, it took me a long time to bring the wolf down. This in turn enabled it to spawn countless numbers of Dread Wolves and so the floor was littered with dead animal bodies when I finally managed to bring the wolf down.

Posted Image
No animals were harmed during the production of this picture.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Nice, looking forward to seeing how the pack progresses. Is it the normal shifter or the improved version?

Grolp, NE male kensai dwarf (portrait of Ebb Creakknees from Planescape Torment).

Ah Beregost. We cheerily cut down three merchants, collect our reward from Silke and eliminate her too. The caravan bandits are next, then I tell Tiax to memorise a couple of barkskins while my wounds scab over.

I choose to help Drizzt fight a pack of gnolls rather than upset him. Gnarl and Hairtooth are quickly dealt with then we find a magical crossbow (instead of tome of leadership). Shar Teel quickly grabs it.

Zal and Vax manage to stun me with darts, but my companions are too quick and kill them before I am too injured. Our reputation is dangerously high so after a bit of shopping I goad Montaron into backstabbing Marl (well Grolp is evil). I pull the legs off four huge spiders before we depart again.

Kagain falls for the charm of Shoal the nereid, but recovers in time to help kill Droth the ogre mage. I tell him he must be stupid to try to kiss a nereid but he retorts that it would seem safer than my romance with Shar Teel. Fair point, and I'm left to contemplate this after being held by a ghoul.

Everybody else has carried on so I have to catch them up and remind them who is in charge, just as half a dozen skeletons pulp me. I can hardly believe we have to run away from them. Our path takes us past a talking chicken and after convincing Xzar not to eat it I have my own familiar.

Fear not lady Ardrouine, I will rescue my reputation from the gutter, and your child from worgs too.

Ba'ruk is dropped quickly but his kobold commandos and two volleys of flame arrows hurt me badly before I can melee them into the ground.

Zargal threatens us and only when they are dead does Shar Teel realise Malkax has hit her with a poisoned arrow. We've no suitable spells so I tell her to tough it out rather than waste a green potion. Tough love.

We cut our way through a xvart village (Imoen would be so proud), until Xzar finds a mithril ring inside a cave. From there we agree to return Samuel out of the goodness of our still-tarnished reputation, only stopping to deal with an ambush then searching bemusedly for a mercenary fighting two war dogs - we can find none of these three combatants. Eventually the mercenary wins, so we depart.

A mage called Tarnesh tries and fails to juggle our missiles. Inside I realise I've dropped a huge spider body somewhere and cannot get a decent reward from Landrin (auto-drop at some stage I expect, Melicamp or Samuel maybe but no sign of it there). All I can do is take a pair of dirty golden pantaloons and return a belt to Unshey before bumping into four amazons.

I think rigidly and run off thanks to Lamahla.
Xzar Melfs Lamahla.
Tiax dooms Zeela.
Xzar drains Zeela.
Shar Teel kills Lamahla.
Montaron kills Zeela.
Maneira poisons Tiax disrupting a hold person spell.
Shar Teel kills Maneira.
Shar Teel runs away from Telka but is killed by a final arrow. Is this the end of my romance?
Tiax kills Telka and gulps a blue potion to stay alive.

I return to pick up the pieces and head for a temple. Shar Teel isn't very happy at her recent demise so I pay to have her crossbow identified as one of accuracy.

Oublek rips us off with a minor reward for returning two emeralds, blanching as I promise to return. Skeleton archers at Firewine bridge show Xzar what necromancy feels like so we take him to a temple before returning. Meilum has nothing of interest and we depart (not equipped for Kahrk).

Just south of Gullykin we dispose of two spellcasters before turning to Molkar and finally Morvin. This does the trick and Shar Teel turns to me to roll her shoulders back and forth. Temptress.

Melicamp has made a mess of my backpack so I decide to trade him in. Thalantyr pretends not to know him at first but soon fails to restore him. Oh well, no reward there so instead I ask Thalantyr to identify Morvin's book (tome of leadership). Xzar buys a scroll of protection from petrification, memorises it and points to a new map location.

We kill a group of basilisks, although Tiax is annoyed to find his ghast is easily killed by the greater basilisk. I recruit a ghoul called Korax but another basilisk petrifies Shar Teel as Mutamin attacks us. I use a scroll to restore her and then we kill Mutamin. I have been ignored, and Xzar is petrified next. We decide to rest and have to kill Korax.

I buy some more scrolls from a temple and return to free Xzar, and also Tamah to maintain an average reputation. After killing the last basilisk Monty scouts out Kirian and we prepare in case things turn nasty. There are two angry cave bears too.

Kirian gets a few arrows and a backstab from Montaron but my sword kills her. Peter is next and Xzar uses a Melf to kill him. Tiax has held Lindin so Baerin is next, falling to an arrow from Montaron. Kagain kills one cave bear as I flee, and Shar Teel the second. The race to kill Lindin is won by Kagain, and everybody is OK except for me.
Posted Image

Grolp, kensai 5. 127 kills, Greywolf with long sword. THACO 11.
Shar Teel, fighter 5. 77 kills, basilisk with heavy crossbow of accuracy.THACO 5.
Montaron, fighter 4 thief 5. 39 kills, lesser basilisk with shortbow & shortsword. 14.
Xzar, necromancer 5. 9 kills, Peter with spells/sling. THACO 18
Tiax, cleric 4 thief 5. 19 kills, lesser basilisk with sling. THACO 17.
Kagain, fighter 5. 83 kills, lesser basilisk with longbow. THACO 12.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Grolp, NE male kensai dwarf.

Viconia is safe but decides to head to a nearby cave. I give Shar Teel some full plate armour while she hands her splint mail down to Kagain. If I bothered to pick up all the dribs and drabs I could have bought some before now, but if it's too good for me I'm not going to pay for anybody else to have it.

I'm having so much fun hacking the boots off a hobgoblin that I fail to notice Xzar die again. Yet another temple visit but I refuse to buy a raise dead scroll - these people have to learn not to die.

Tiax has learnt how to summon skeletons as well as a ghast, so we start to clear the coast of sirines. Hobgoblin archers finally poison me so I gulp a green potion and grind them into dust. Then I realise my sword has broken so fight the remaining hobgoblins properly armed. After killing Sil we send Monty past flesh golems to retrieve some treasure. He manages to dodge into a small passage and hide again, allowing us to escape without a fight.

Day 117 is the day to visit Nashkel mine. Kagain can smell kobolds, and their arrows are soon causing me pain. My usual tactic of closing in keeps the damage down, then we cross a trapped bridge behind a lone skeleton. The skeleton dies but there are only three kobolds left. Two seconds later 2 are dead but I'm on the ground.
Posted Image
(didn't see but assume there were a couple of critical hits as 51hp went in about 2 seconds)

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Kagain can smell kobolds, and their arrows are soon causing me pain. My usual tactic of closing in keeps the damage down, then we cross a trapped bridge behind a lone skeleton. The skeleton dies but there are only three kobolds left. Two seconds later 2 are dead but I'm on the ground.

(didn't see but assume there were a couple of critical hits as 51hp went in about 2 seconds)

Condolences, Gate.

I remember way back when I played the original game, I considered any location which involved kobolds extremely dangerous. A bunch of those little buggers can bring down a character in mere seconds, yet the creatures themselves give pitiful XP when killed.

Personally, I find it much easier to deal with supposedly tougher opponents like Ogres and Cave Bears first, so I usually postpone the mines quest until everyone in my party is around level 5. That dreaded kobold dungeon below the Firewine Bridge is a real nightmare too. Nowadays, I just skip it and go straight to the Ogre-Mage from the Gullykin basement.

Edited by Thailog, 02 April 2011 - 06:17 PM.

Yogohong

Yogohong
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Nice, looking forward to seeing how the pack progresses. Is it the normal shifter or the improved version?

If I recall correctly, it is the refinements version (divided into 3 levels of shapeshifting; Lesser, Normal; Greater). It balances the shapeshifter appropriately in relation to the power curve in Baldurs Gate 1. It also disables priest spells in contrast to the Improved Shapeshifting version.

Personally, I find it much easier to deal with supposedly
tougher opponents like Ogres and Cave Bears first, so I usually postpone
the mines quest until everyone in my party is around level 5. That
dreaded kobold dungeon below the Firewine Bridge is a real nightmare
too. Nowadays, I just skip it and go straight to the Ogre-Mage from the
Gullykin basement.

I tried to do that with one of my runs and discovered to my surprise that one of my mods have disabled that function. If you try to enter via Gullykin, a message will appear and state that there is an iron door blocking your path and it can only be opened from the other side. Nice little addition except when I went through Firewine Ruins and accidently clicked on exit. The game wouldn't let me go back even if I had opened the door previously. :(

Edited by Yogohong, 02 April 2011 - 06:51 PM.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
The annoying thing about the kobolds is their bows, and their 7XP is even lower than other weak humanoid foes (xvarts, tasloi etc). RIP Grolp. :-(

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Yogohong wrote...

Personally, I find it much easier to deal with supposedly
tougher opponents like Ogres and Cave Bears first, so I usually postpone
the mines quest until everyone in my party is around level 5. That
dreaded kobold dungeon below the Firewine Bridge is a real nightmare
too. Nowadays, I just skip it and go straight to the Ogre-Mage from the
Gullykin basement.

I tried to do that with one of my runs and discovered to my surprise that one of my mods have disabled that function. If you try to enter via Gullykin, a message will appear and state that there is an iron door blocking your path and it can only be opened from the other side. Nice little addition except when I went through Firewine Ruins and accidently clicked on exit. The game wouldn't let me go back even if I had opened the door previously. :(

There is a secret door in the cellar of the temple/winery building in Gullykin as well.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Grond0 wrote...
My computer blew up yesterday so I'm not sure how long it will be before I can continue my game, even if the save position proves to be recoverable from the hard disk.  I am typing this on a rather elderly and arthritic laptop, which for some reason is not displaying many of the links in posts properly, so I haven't been able to enjoy Wierdo's latest immolation strategy!

OMG :? That really is serious!

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@Gate: Condolences on your loss - at day 117 must really hurt!

That trapped bridge in the Nashkel mines is very very dangerous. Especially the kobold commandos. I have had parties cut to shred there previously.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Struggling to think what to try next, halfling kensai perhaps.

I'm looking at the justifier/feralan kits (from BG2 UB) which can be installed on Easytutu. Has anybody tried these in anger - justifier on left & feralan on right (which also has a -2 charisma that I've missed).
Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 03 April 2011 - 10:36 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Are these ranger kits? Feralan looks like fun, a bit like Minsc. Give him ** axe proficiency and dual wield? Maybe use longbow for ranged attacks.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Yes, they are ranger kits. Feralan lack of armour could make early levels interesting, just wondering if it becomes unbalanced into SOA/TOB. Guess there is only one way to find out.

I've started one of each, only just out of Candlekeep. The elven justifier with dual longswords is looking comparable to a kensai but expect that will tail-off soon. The elven feralan had dual wield, war hammer and a pip in axe, isn't so deadly but then I haven't (ab)used rage/call yet.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo's Bhaalspawn Bretheren

Secret of Bone Hill Part 2 - Garotten

After killing Prat's band while escaping the Candlekeep Catacombs, Wierdo killed most of the remaining monsters by herself. Generally this meant backstabs and arrows. She even took on two greater basilisks by herself - using a Scroll of Protection from Petrification first, of course!

Posted Image

Following on from that, the party finally exited the catacombs and ran into Fabio the Bard, of all people! He was from Restenford (in the Secret of Bone Hill mod). This was even wierder because for some reason there seemed to be a bug when Wierdo was in SOBH previously - and Fabio didn't appear in the tavern like he is meant to in SOBH Pt1! Wierd ... but that's why they need Wierdo!

Posted Image

Fabio wanted Wierdo to go with him to Restenford because the Baron had been murdered! Wow, good thing that Wierdo had already pickpocketed that Ring of Regeneration from him in SOBH Part 1 :bandit:. In any case, apparently everyone in Baldur's Gate wants the party dead anyway, so this is a no-brainer really. Sounds like an adventure! Off they went with Fabio.

Pelltar told Wierdo and interesting tale involving a bartender, a priest and a bard. Yeah, I know, it sounds like a set-up for a dirty joke or something. But no! They are set-up for murder, it seems. So off to Garrotten (!), a name that sounds suspicious in itself. Rumour has it that there is an assassin's guild there.

In Garotten Wierdo talks privately to the bartender, which reveals many interesting things.

Posted Image

Eventually Wierdo arranges to meet an Assassin named Basmar, to the south of town, under a ruse of needing Pelltar killed. Wierdo was itching for a fight and prepared, but unfortunately didn't get one. However, the plot has progressed and she'll be patient and see what happens as it plays out.

Posted Image

That is it for today! Sorry that there were no immolations. However, there was a nice backstab! Promise to have more immolations and at least one good backstab in the next episode!

Coming next: Orc Surprise

Edited by Wierdo, 03 April 2011 - 01:19 PM.