Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

That's a shame Blackraven.  Barbarian rage would have been handy to use there.

The Bard

The Bard
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Hello all, new here but long time BG player. I have soloed the game with just about every class but never with a No-Reload. After seeing this topic I started one up today, a Human Bard named Plum. I am going to be playing solo, max HP but on core rules otherwise.

I've been taking it slowly, I haven't completed Nashkel Mines yet but I've done quite a bit. I'll start taking some screenshots once I begin progressing but I'll outline what has happened so far.

My original plan was to do safe quests to try and get to level 4, the level where I can learn Invisibility. A bard only needs 5000 xp to get this, so it did not take very long, I did the Marl quest, the Ruffie quest, and the Fisherman quest, which brought me pretty close. Nothing particularly interesting happened except a mad dash from a few Ankhegs before they could fry me. After hitting 4 and learning the Invis I bought from High Hedge I was ready to begin gearing up a bit. 

Invis is an extremely powerful spell for this kinda thing, it lasts 24 hours you can avoid dangerous waylaid by enemy packs (that multiple bow bandit one at low levels for example), acquire good gear early, rest safely every time and it is still going to be on you after you rest. I used this fact to acquire my first wand of fire from the Ankheg cave by resting with invis up, going through the cave and hitting the stash and then using invis again before the Ankheg could give me the bad touch. 

My next stop was Durlag's tower to pick up some potions of master thievery, I have pick pocket 100 with this on so I started to help myself to some goodies like Algernon's cloak, and the Ring of Free Action. I sold a few things I found along the way like the Ring of Wizardry and the Ankheg armor, so I could afford the charming harp from Ulgoth's beard. 

I have other things to do today but when I get back I am going wand hunting and then it's time to hit up the Nashkel Mines.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Grond0, preventive use of Barbarian rage would have worked yes. Once I got stunned for the first time though there was no way to rage anymore, because before ech stun expired the Mephit would stun me again. A bit overpowered for a lowly 420 XP granting Mephit if you ask me.

The Bard, welcome, and good luck with your bard! Invisibility is indeed great :)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Is that a 101 Wise?

Sorry to hear about Breen Corey. Did you position yourself between the 3 of them so they take penalties of -4 to their ranged attacks? & I always add the cloak of displacement before visiting them, haven't worked it out (at least for many years) but expect that takes them towards requiring criticals.

Gate70 - I had shield amulet active (AC 2) plus DEX bonus (-2 AC) plus belts of piercing (-5) plus cloak of displacement (-9) and boots of avoidance (-14), thus was -14 effective AC vs.missiles. I was in melee range for two, one was not in melee range at all so had no penalty. But as a thief, I had no defense to multiple criticals in a row -not with 34 HP anyways. Don't forget was vanilla, so I don't think there is a penalty anyways, not using BG 2 engine that run.

Incidentally, Dogdancing and I have come up with our next duo concept - she will be the protagonist for the first time and a gnomish fighter/thief and I will be a gnomish fighter/illusionist. Will roll them up when we get time.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Welcome The Bard and good luck with your namesake.  Incidentally, pickpocket skill of 100 doesn't guarantee success (it's the difference between your % and their % rather than your absolute value that counts).

Go Dogdancing and Corey - gnomes will rule OK.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Datron the solo gnomish fighter/illusionist entering trilogy no reload challenge...

Datron is level 2/2 with 26 HP and has made it to Nashkel in one piece. Blindness and ranged attacks did most of the work so far. In the past, my fighter/mage type solos used a bow but they never did very well, so different concept this time - axes ** and two weapon style ** - we'll see if it works out better, which so far I think it has. Standard Corey fighter portrait. Stats following:

Chaotic Good

STR 18/00 DEX 18 CON 18 INT 19 WIS 2 CHA 7

The high strength was necessary so I could lug around lots of throwing axes for ranged attacks when needed. Took a while to get the roll I needed but patience paid off.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Nice to see you back, Blackraven!

Sad to hear of your loss, CKT... That was a pleasure to follow your run so looking forward for the next one.

Welcome, The Bard, and all the best for your namesake!

Keep rocking, Gate & Grond0, Corey & Dogdancing!

Looks like it's a gnomish time now, they rule all, that's true. My Impish Face is on hold now as I'm seriously distracted by another game but I'm hoping to join you all soon enough. For now all the best with your runs, friends!

• Blackraven likes this

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts

Nice to see you back Blackraven and best of luck with Elgryn - he looks promising.

Sorry to see your trap troubles CKT.  If a fireball comes out of nowhere what about allowing your thief to take a quick potion of perception next time?

We'd used all the PoP we had & couldn't find anymore.   Oh, that we had had one...she would definitely have been using it.   

Dogdancing

Dogdancing
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Ha!! I nearly killed our new duo in Candlekeep...this is going to be a interesting run!

• corey_russell and Grimwald the Wise like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Multi-Player No-Reload

Dogdancing and Corey_Russell entering trilogy no-reload challenge....

Tcos - gnomish fighter/thief, protagonist (Dogdancing)

STR 18/94 DEX 18 CON 18 INT 11 WIS 2 CHA 9

Zaxxon - gnomish fighter/illusionist (Corey_Russell)

STR 18/95 DEX 18 CON 18 INT 19 WIS 5 CHA 3

So the duo did their little errand in Candlekeep. Was almost a disaster as Tcos got caught stealing - fortunately she managed to go down the stairs and the guard didn't bother to follow her. The rest of the errands went without incident.

We made a brief stop in Lion's way to pick up the magic ring in the rock - we had to use our dual-wield powers on the gibberlings but the duo were actually quite effective, despite only being level 1 at this point. We then headed to Beregost.

Time to do some tasks here in Beregost. First, we raided the smithy to get their bastard sword +1 (to sell) and sold at Feldposte's and rested. We then blinded Silke and took her out. We also blinded Karlat and took him out - Karlat got a hit Zaxxon despite being blinded...We could afford a +1 long sword for Tcos so we did that.

Next, change of spell set (two sleeps) and we sleeped the spiders and took them out easily enough. We then headed south and took out the ogrillions with ranged attacks. We had some pathing issues, but we got it done without dying, though Zaxxon came close to dying himself. We used sleep on the Flaming Fist Mercenary to get the plate mail for Tcos.

Dogdancing was hurting, so our last task of the session was to report to Merianne to get the +1 ring for Zaxxon and we saved here.

Incidentally, for the first time, Dogdancing is using her windows 8 computer to play.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Ha!! I nearly killed our new duo in Candlekeep...this is going to be a interesting run!

To Reevor's Rats?

In any case - have fun!  :)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Datron the solo fighter/illusionist - Update 2

Datron level 4 fighter/level 4 mage, 43 HP

Datron has done well so far. He took out Greywolf with blindness, fought his way to the dex gauntlets (to sell), fought his way to the CHA tome. He normally stands his ground in ambushes, but when low on blue potions didn't stick around for a cave bear x2 ambush.

Datron also defeated Tarnesh - poor Tarnesh, with shield and resist fear, there wasn't anything he could do but fall...Thalantyr failed to restore Melicamp. A "dog" was returned to his "boy" owner...Caldos and Krumm were blinded then engaged. This was harder than expected as Krumm ran everywhere as his morale broke..then when chasing him a cave bear got into the mix, so Datron had to use his throwing axes on the bear, but eventually the nymph was pleased.

Datron found a cat but knew his CHA wasn't good enough to get the undead scroll. So he cheated, he memorized friends x3, rested, got near the little girl, used friends x3 and she gave him a nice protection scroll.

Just because he had nothing better to do, Datron returned Perdue's sword to Perdue...Datron decided to take a play out of Grond0's book - namely, he used mirror images then used the frost wand on the battle horrors by Durlag's a cool 8000 experience! Much better than fighting xvarts...

Next session he will likely deal with the basilisk problem at Durlag's Tower...

Dogdancing

Dogdancing
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Got caught Stealing Serg, I like my thief's to live on the edge of danger. Of note I've ended a run in CK before by pickpocketing the tutors and making Gorian go hostile.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Datron the solo fighter/illusionist

Datron - level 6 fighter/level 6 mage

Datron is making steady progress. No real mishaps so far. It's more fun to stand my ground than run like a coward like my last character (thief).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Datron the level 7 fighter/level 7 illusionist ((level cap)

Datron has defeated Tazok Tent bad guys and is working on chapter 4. He will be skipping most things, but paying a stop Drassus for Drassus boots.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Datron the solo level 7 fighter/level 7 illusionist

Datron has defeated Drassus and pals. He used improved invisibility to foil the mages and spammed the fireball wand until they went down. Then melee was enough Drassus and Genthore. The mines were almost entirely skipped via invisibility. Datron used the paralyzation wand to defeat the battle horrors (protected by mirror image), as well as a scorcher and then melee. Davaoern was foiled by improved invisibility and he took a scorcher too...

So onto Chapter 5 and the great city of Baldur's Gate. Most stuff here will be skipped, just upgrades/main story line from here on in.

The Bard

The Bard
  • Members
  • 4 posts

I am back after an unfortunate death or two, (lightning bolt trap in the bandit camp and then the charm trap that I thought was a hold trap in the flesh golem cave). But Plum the Bard has made progress!

I followed the same routine, trying to get invisibility, although this time to get xp I bought a wand of sleep and abused some Ankhegs and their poor AI. I started the Nashkel Mines at level 6, with the most of the wands, a free action ring, the +2 BG-EE Halberd and the charm cloak. Invis let me skip most of the mines and I just summoned some gnolls and went invisible while they went to work on Mullahey. 

I had a bit of difficulty in the bandit camp, I didn't want to waste my monster summoning charges and it almost cost me after my first wave of summons died too soon. I had to run out of the building which ended with Taugoz Tenhammer getting angry at my poor Bard. I made a mad dash out of the bandit camp and returned after resting in Peldvale. My return went much smoother, one of the enemies was dead from last time and the wizard failed his save against my charm this time. I didn't even have to use a charge of monster summoning. 

Then it was on to cloakwood. I saved Aldeth from some pesky druids who were first set on fire killing all but the leader, who was paralyzed by my wand and chopped to bits by my halberd.

I skipped the rest of cloakwood with my invisibility but chose to fight Drasus and crew for those delicious boots of speed.

I managed to separate Drasus from the rest of them when I summoned monsters, I retreated with him following closely but when he failed his save against wands and was paralyzed there wasn't much he could do about that. By the time I killed him my monsters were dead as well, I dropped a fear from my wand off screen and a few of them failed their saves. One of the wizards roasted me with an Agannazar's Scorcher so after I killed the feared and separated wizard I rested and returned to deal with the rest.

U9b4VCP.jpg?1

Here is one of my many lucky breaks, walking on a lightning trap that would have definitely killed me had I not been wearing the boots of talos, instead of merely hurting my spleen.

aspdm20.jpg?1

I skipped the majority of the mine, with the exception of the wizard who had a haste scroll I wanted, I blasted them with my wand of fire off screen and they never stood a chance.

Davaeorn involved another lucky break. I slowly killed off the two Battle Horrors by abusing my boots of speed and wearing them down with my wand of frost. I wasn't sure what spells Davaeorn knew so my plan was to use my wand of monster summoning and keep an eye out. As soon as I saw the yellow spell in his hands I booked it the hell out of there thinking it might be confusion or something. It was not.

aQh0RlO.jpg?1

I could have avoided that with my ring of free action but it ended up alright, Davaeorn had a hell of a time dealing with my hobgoblins for whatever reason (he seemed to be trying to melee them for some reason) and by the time my hold had worn off...

ngMyof1.jpg?1

I am not sure which brave Hobogoblin finished the job but the blame is really on Davaeorn who should have just used a fireball or something and killed them all instead of trying to hit them with his pimp cane.

• Blackraven likes this

The Bard

The Bard
  • Members
  • 4 posts

I beat the game with Plum the Bard!

I took my time in Baldur's Gate, doing as many quests as possible because I planned to spend a lot of money before the tougher battles. After gearing up and getting to level 9, I prepared to take on Sarevok's inner circle, a battle I had carelessly lost a previous illusionist/thief at from all the save or basically die spells. This time I was careful, I planned to stay near the stairs to dodge any spells that might really hurt me. My game plan was to summon monsters while slinging fireballs at the nicely packed group of bad guys.

iuqwWJc.jpg?1

It worked quite well! I ended without taking any damage I believe, they couldn't deal with my magical wands. I prebuffed with my beloved greenstone amulet to keep from eating one of those nasty crowd control spells which had killed my previous character.

I went to Candlekeep, skipped most of the enemies in the catacombs and caves with invisibility and returned to Baldur's Gate.

I did some quests to get gold and xp and prepared my final gear package for taking on the toughest fights of the game. Before beginning the end quests I had:

60 Arrows of Detonation

50 Arrows of Dispelling

80 Arrows of Biting

10 scrolls of Chaos and Greater Malison (not sure if a BG-EE thing but sorcerous has a bizarre number of these)

Fully charged wands of fire, monster summoning, paralyzation

Potions of basically every buff

Scrolls of Magic Protection

I spent almost 60k on a crazy gear set up designed to keep me safe, then began the final quest.

w0f3yHs.jpg?1

These two were easy pickings, drew out Slythe and he died very quickly to my halberd after I dispelled all his crapola with my bow. I summoned a spider to attack the mage, and then dispelled all her stuff too when she became visible, she didn't last long either.

The Ducal Palace was an area I lost another character, another Illusionist/Thief, due to taking too long and getting killed by Winski. This time I had a plan, I prebuffed and summoned some monsters before talking to Sarevok. I cast dispel, greater malison and chaos from scrolls (they can't be interrupted and while hasted they cast faster) while distracting as many dopplegangers by running around like a lunatic and pelting them with arrows. Belt made it out alive but the mage did not unfortunately.

I chased after Sarevok and skipped pretty much everything leading up to him with invisibility. Before jumping into it with Sarevok I prebuffed with basically every potion known to man: Potion of Defense, Oil of Speed, Potion of Magic Shielding, Potion of Magic Blocking, and prepared for war. 

I went to the platform invisible, and Semaj teleported to me like he had some sort of death wish. I broke invis by dispelling his defenses with my arrows and then went to work on him while Sarevok stood oblivious off screen. After killing him, I dispelled Sarevok's haste with my dispel arrows, and began summoning monsters. Tazok came down to join the rumble so I hit them with a greater malison and started to pelt Tazok with my poison arrows, he dropped pretty quickly when he failed about 4 saves while they tried to kill my waves of monsters. 

Now to kill the big boy. I dropped another greater malison on him and started spamming my wand of paralyzation while running away from him with my boots of speed. He failed the save after about 4 shots, and was promptly beaten the hell out of with my halberd. He is a tough bastard though so he didn't die by the time it ended, I think one of my wolves killed him (anti-climatic). 

L3I49pa.jpg?1

I am going to load up my auto save and take a picture of my final stats when I have time. Plum the Bard isn't finished yet though. I still have to do Durlag's Tower and import him into BG2. 

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

@The Bard.  Well done with Sarevok.  Look after Plum to give him a chance in BG2.

• The Bard likes this

The Bard

The Bard
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Thanks! I have some time now so here are some stats and thoughts.

Here are the stat altering buffs to get a look at what I was working with at the end: Erhiboc.jpg?1

There was a bit of a learning curve to get me that far. Here is the graveyard leading up to this: 

Bard 1 - a lightning trap, Tazok's tent

Bard 2 - a charm trap, the flesh golem cave

Gnome Illusionist/Thief 1 - Sarevok's circle, confused and then killed quickly

Gnome Cleric/Mage - One hit by a flame strike from priest of umberlee

Gnome Illusionist/Thief 2 - Took too long saving the dukes, killed by Winski

Overall the Bard was not particularly difficult. You have wands, you have invisibility, they worked quite well for me early on. The Greenstone amulet was vital, ring of free action saved me a few times as well. Once I got to Baldur's Gate the game seemed to get a bit easier. I didn't really have a problem with the last battles like I thought I would, the potions are very powerful and so are all the specialty arrows.  

I am more familiar with BG so I think Plum the Bard is going to meet a quick end in BG2 but I am going to take it slowly and see how it goes.

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Congratulations, The Bard! Safe travels in Amn!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Degas {2} - elf wild mage (update 1)

I decided to have an early morning session today and reviewed my saves.  The first version of Degas didn't actually die, but I think I must have over-written his save when attempting my one day challenge a while ago.  I've therefore restarted him - which is fine as I'm still keen to complete BG1 without taking any damage and the first incarnation of Degas had taken a hit at the end of his last session.

This time around he's completed all the encounters I recorded for the original  - ending here - as well as rescuing Samuel.  He's just taken revenge on the battle horrors at Durlag's Tower that hit him last time (also picked up the tome while there, using the Greenstone Amulet for protection).  

The only hint of trouble so far has been a couple of times where I've got out of sync with invisibility and had to rest while visible.  There were two interruptions before that was successful on one of those occasions, but neither by anything with a ranged attack, so Degas was able to safely dart them.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Degas {2} - elf wild mage (update 2)

A depressing moment immediately after the previous post when Degas was hit by a basilisk.  Using his staff and attacking at range should have been safe (as the basilisks then have to move when switching to melee attack, which gives time to react).  Unfortunately I just nodded off momentarily and realised Degas was under attack an instant too late.

I'll continue the run, but no longer trying to stay safe ...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Degas {2} - elf wild mage (final update)

Degas had a pretty untroubled run up to the maze, but fell to a spot of carelessness there.  He was still running potion buffs from the fight at the palace and meleed his way through the jellies and doom guards.  For the skeleton warriors though I decided he needed some summons to help him.  Ogres did their job to kill the first one and dire wolves were helping with the second, but Degas came under attack when the skeleton warrior switched from a dead wolf.  I clicked to move him safely away, but a moving dire wolf blocked the chosen route and the automatic pathfinding sent Degas back into range of the skeleton warrior - he was dead before I could move him again.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sorry to hear that Grond0. By the way, Datron has completed chapters 5, 6, and 7 and has defeated Sarevok. Full report later. I don't have access to my screenshots - computer is doing a malware scan right now.