Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Fimm the feralan ranger. Travelling with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan and Coran.

Only three things to do - Mendas, Durlags Tower and Sarevok. On the way to the Counting House Coran checks for any (randomised) loot in the duchal palace and exchanges pleasantries with Nila. Then we swap swill for seacharts, buy three (3) scrolls of raise dead, tell Therella we will look for her son then start helping Mendas.

Kaishas Gan needs our help against some sort of enemy led by Karoug. The first few groups of wolfweres are tough, then Khalid suggests we swap girdles. A deal with a sirine queen falls through, then we rest with Dradeel and buff before entering the remains of a proud ship.
Posted Image

Once I am the focus of attacks I call for assistance. A wolfwere (3 hits) is dead before anybody arrives, Coran kills a dire wolf then a dread wolf, I kill a dread wolf, Coran a vampiric wolf (critical 42 damage), Kivan a worg, Jaheira a dire wolf, I kill the last worg and Imoen finishes the level with a dread wolf. My buffs are intact so I head straight to the second level.

Jaheira clubs the first wolfwere as Kivan criticals (36) the second. I account for a third, Jaheira a fourth and Kivan a vampiric wolf. Khalid finishes the second level by slicing the final wolfwere with his halberd +2. We are de-buffed (fatigued after speed and only barkskin remains) and I am injured, so three minor healing spells and a DUHM are quickly cast before moving to the third level (AC -6 so pushing my luck).

Imoen has followed me up (silly, no point sending her down as she will be followed) and is held by a vampiric wolf. We all rush to help her but she falls to a wolfwere. Coran kills the vampiric wolf, Khalid a wolfwere, Kivan another, Coran the last and Kivan the final vampiric wolf. Jaheira uses a scroll to raise Imoen and after healing her somewhat we loot our way back down only to find a vampiric wolf outside.

After killing the wolf we rest with Dradeel and identify a silver dagger. Then we return, buff and finally meet Karoug. After Daese casts a spell and transforms I call for company and almost immediately Kivan has felled one wolfwere. Khalid (using Kondar) is forced to fight Karoug as he can't reach any other target, I kill Daese then Kivan and I each kill another wolfwere. Jaheira is helping Khalid against Karoug while we deal with the last wolfwere. It falls to Coran so we all start on the barely injured Karoug.

Jaheira finds her club (root of the problem) is ineffective so switches to the werebane dagger. My axe is useless so I decide to heal myself instead. Kivan, Coran and Imoen are similarly affected so move away and search for traps.

Imoen opens a chest then decides to start Melfing Karoug. Coran finds a book while Imoen adds a second Melf and some magic missiles, then she deals with another trap and finds a golden sword. My rage has worn off so I cast DUHM but Khalid has finally had enough.
Posted Image

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Fimm the feralan ranger. Travelling with Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan and Coran.

With the death of Karoug we retrieve a baby but cannot find a way to the deck of the wreck. Back at the settlement we are betrayed and attacked. After a running fight we reach a ship where Kaishas Gan attacks Coran. He takes a beating but gamely finishes her off with a critical hit (40 damage) from Spiders Bane.

I badly wound Mendas, only for him to emerge uninjured as a Loup Garou. Coran steals Werebane from Jaheira to help Khalid (Kondar) and Kivan (sword of Balduran) fight Mendas while I kill Baresh. Khalid kills Mendas and we set off for Durlags Tower.

A short while later we face three warders, and pound them before moving on to Avarice. Soon afterwards four Dwarven Doom Guards get the same treatment. Fuernebol on the bridge almost kills Imoen, forcing her to retreat. We've started dropping items as our backpacks are filling up rapidly.

For once we enlist the services of five statues to defeat three greater wyverns, killing them afterwards.

100% cold resistance helps me defeat Kaldran the bear. Jaheira and Imoen experiment with flame blades, Agannazar's scorcher and flame arrow before finding out fireballs are needed to deal with fission slimes. An air aspect and invisible stalkers fall victim to hold monster.

Only one more door left but maybe there is treasure in the Ashirukuru lair. I am paralysed by a greater ghoul but Imoen kills it with magic missiles before I am too badly wounded. There is nothing in the fountain so we give up and prepare for whatever lies ahead.

The first phoenix guard I kill results in us being transported to a huge chess set. Kivan, Jaheira and I all cast entangle as Imoen adds web and stinking cloud. Jaheira summons some woodland beings while Imoen casts greater malison then fireball.

The first fireball claims five pawns, the second a sixth and the third kills a pawn, both bishops and the queen. Two pawns are brought down with arrows but a knight manages to reach me. Khalid kills it, and then a second one.

I draw the king to us, Khalid strikes again and Imoen takes the Eagle bow from the fallen corpse.

After speaking to the spirit of Durlag I come to realise a feralan is not suited to fighting greater ghouls. I am held three times before meeting Grael. We get our own back by holding three of them in that fight then answer a few questions before getting to meet the demonknight.

He strips my defences, resists doom and malison. Kivan and Khalid are using arrows of biting, then Imoen gets him with hold monster.
Posted Image

We swarm around him while Khalid equips a special bolt and fires it but magic resistance and death spoil our fun.
Posted Image

A brief stop at Beregost sees us re-equip and I carefully fold the golden pantaloons into my backpack. A cult ambush relieves us of the soultaker dagger, so we kill two more groups and prepare to enter the cult HQ.

Aec'letec quickly holds & kills Jaheira and Coran but Khalid is running and the rest of us eliminate the cultists. Aec is soon badly injured, but turns ethereal, regenerates and jumps away from me to drain Imoen. She uses a wand of monster summoning while running, and since I can't catch Aec I switch to a throwing axe.

Kivan is hitting hard with arrows of biting but Khalid gets the kill with a bolt of biting.
Posted Image

Looks like a temple visit, another shop and then time for Sarevok. Kivan has other thoughts, finding the two scrolls of raise dead that Jaheira had and successfully using them. Imoen points out she still needs a temple visit to restore her drained abilities; as does Coran.

Voleta Stiletto and Winski have both clung onto life since our last visit. We prepare, rest and enter Sarevok's hiding place. My only buffs are a scroll of protection from magic and DUHM, with everybody else having enchanted missiles.

I use the skull traps to trap our foes, taking some damage too. Semaj is de-buffed and killed, Angelo killed with buffs in place. Tazok is proving elusive but Khalid has only taken four special bolts to deliver a wonderful effect. Meet Sarevok the squirrel.
Posted Image

I quickly try to look for Tazok but have forgotten to call off the assault. Sarevok gets entangled and a volley of missiles easily find their mark. Jaheira gets the last shot.

Fimm, feralan ranger 8. 567 kills, Davaeorn.
Khalid, fighter 8. 461 kills, demonknight.
Jaheira, fighter 7 druid 8. 245, Ramazith.
Kivan, ranger 8. 221 kills, Kirinhale.
Coran, fighter 7 thief 8. 233 kills, Angelo.
Imoen, mage 9, thief 6. 154 kills, Tamoko.

Edited by Gate70, 23 April 2011 - 06:33 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Well done Gate!

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Well done. See you in BG2:SOA!

Yogohong

Yogohong
  • Members
  • 17 posts
The Gilded Rose Part Five – Candlekeep Revisited

In our last episode, our heroes had brought evidence to Duke Eltan suggesting that the leaders of the Iron Throne were responsible for the troubles plaguing the Sword Coast and their current whereabouts. Duke Eltan sent the Gilded Rose to Candlekeep to investigate.

At Candlekeep, Quin said hello to Winthrop and other local monks and asked them if they had observed any oddities in the last couple of days. Surely enough, a monk well known by Quin had begun acting strange. When confronted, the monk turned out to be a greater doppelganger. The threat was quickly quelled, but left our heroes unsteady. Who could they trust in this once familiar place?

At the fourth level, the group confronted the leaders of the Iron Throne. Aggressive words were hurled across the room, but no blows were struck. That matter had to be decided elsewhere far away from these sacred halls. Unfortunately that never came to pass as our heroes were framed for the murder of the very same men as they had spoken to not long ago. They were thrown in jail, but were safely teleported by a kind mentor to the underground crypts of Candlekeep.

Posted Image

Beware of the dangers which lay ahead, Mad Man opted to go first and brave the halls. A wise choice indeed as many monsters lay waiting for the unsuspecting victim. Afterwards, Quin was sent in to disarm the various traps and pilfer the crypt of goods. What good did magical items do the dead anyway?

Sadly, there was a mix up of the items recovered. Quin was sure that she had discovered a tome said to bestow the user with exceptional strength, but when Mad Man read it he only seemed to become wiser than his peers. Quin concluded that she must have gotten it wrong.

Posted Image

The mistake was later rectified when she discovered the true tome of strength. Once again, Mad Man was tasked to read the contents adding to his already bulging frame a couple of pounds of extra muscle.

Posted Image

Our heroes ventured deeper into the crypts hoping to find an exit. They were assaulted by skeletons and dopplegangers of people they once knew; adding to their ever growing confusion whether these people had actually lived existed as real people. The nightmare would seemingly no end take when our heroes were confronted by a ostensibly dead loving parent; Gorion, Elminster and Tethoril. They spoke promises of safety and caring words, but Quin would have none of it. Giving them the benefit of doubt, she advised them to leave least they wanted to test their flesh against her steel.The seemingly friendly group with familiar faces became hostile and turned into greater dopplegangers when they realized their rouse had failed. Prepared for the worst, our heroes fought and ultimately prevailed.

Posted Image

Gathering their senses, the group went on and came upon a natural occurring cave. However, the danger was far from over and only a few steps away from the entrance, our heroes were ambushed by assassins and elements of air. The elements were lured away and dealt with while the main body of the assaulting party was greatly injured by a few loose fireballs from Quin's wand of fire. Prat, the leader of the ambush party, ran away only to be killed in silence, out of sight, by Mad Man

Posted Image

Looting the corpse and licking their wounds, the group finally found the exit and saw daylight for the first time in a long time. With their reputation tarnished, they decided to lay low for a while and plan their next move.

Next Up – Shandalar and the Ice Labyrinth

Edited by Yogohong, 25 April 2011 - 11:12 PM.

SpiffyKeen

SpiffyKeen
  • Members
  • 54 posts
I finally had the time to start a new game.  I went with a chaotic good halfling fighter/thief named Tolman.  He is a stubborn, scrappy fighter that otherwise looks and acts like an Average Joe.  I went with the BG1 male halfling wearing a hat portrait, and I am going with the "Time for a bit of the rough 'n tumble" voice set.  His attributes are 11/19/18/10/10/18, and I had him train on long swords/bows and practice stealth from the beginning. 

Posted Image

Tolman did the standard Candlekeep errands and joined up with Imoen and then Khalid/Jaheira at the FAI.  He did an excellent job with his longbow, and he has been a good scout too.  The party of 2 and then 4 hunted down as many monsters as possible.  In Beregost he completed the Firebead, Marl, Landrin, and Mirianne quests.  Khalid did die twice south of Beregost, once to 3 rapid hobgoblin hits where he and the hobgoblin died at the same time... 

Posted Image 

In Nashkel, Jaheira got Tolman in good with the mayor, and the party headed off to the carnival and then the mines.  Quayle was added to the group, and they made short work of the kobold ambushes inside the mines thanks to Tolman's stealth.  It was an interesting battle with Mulahey, as he reached "near death" quickly but then ran all over the place before he was killed with magic.  Tolman led Xan out of the mines and sent him on his way, then released Branwen and decided to keep her for a while.  Back in Nashkel the heroes reported their success and then took care of a few more assasins, including a nice backstab from Tolman against Nimbul.  It was fun to see everyone in a panic but not affected because of protection from Jaheira. 

Posted Image

From there Tolman traveled with Minsc to save his witch.  This meant parting ways with Khalid and Jaheira.  The trip to the gnoll stronghold was somewhat quiet.  There were no problems with Minsc (in other games he often died), though he was level 2 when he joined, which meant he was never 1-hit killed.  He just used a potion when ever it was needed.  Dynaheir was easily saved, but there was a scary ogre mage ambush on the way back to Nashkel, so the party RAN AWAY.  It was around this time that I realized that I never picked up any of Mulahey's equipment!!!  (How did I get the reward in Nashkel without his holy symbol?) 

Anyway, no reason to fret too much.  Tolman and crew did some more quests around Nashkel including the Prism quest.  Graywolf was held quickly by Branwen and Quayle. 

Posted Image

A quick trip to Beregost got them quite a bit more experience from Ghasts and Ghouls.  They took care of Tranzig, Karlat, helped Perdue, did some hunting and shopping at High Hedge, and then "helped" Silke.  The plan now is to travel to the FAI to get more rewards. 

Tolman is Level F3/T4 at this point, and he was able to afford the Shadow Armor.  Things are looking good so far. 

Posted Image

Edited by SpiffyKeen, 30 April 2011 - 03:22 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

SpiffyKeen wrote...
It was around this time that I realized that I never picked up any of Mulahey's equipment!!!  (How did I get the reward in Nashkel without his holy symbol?) 

I know what you mean.  It always seemed odd to me that there was such a fuss about Bassilus's holy symbol, but Mulahey's was virtually worthless.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Good luck SpiffyKeen, FYI; Halflings get a bonus for slings.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

ussnorway wrote...

Halflings get a bonus for slings.

And with darts as well.

In both cases it's just a +1 to hit but even that can help at early levels.

Lawisendro

Lawisendro
  • Members
  • 9 posts
I'm rejoining.

My computer crashed when I played BG (I had a virus) and I reformatted my PC.

So here's my stats:

Lawisendro
Male
Paladin
Lawful good
STR 18/27
DEX 10
CON 17
INT 10
WIS 13
CHA 17

LARGE SWORDS XX
BOWS XX
-------------

I make my way to Khalid and Jaheira, along with Xzar and Montaron. But not before buying a two handed sword and a studded leather armour for Lawisendro. We fight the assasin at the Friendly Arm, and there, we dump the Zhents. (and steal their gear) Then, we grab the Golden Pantaloons and heads off for Beregost. On the way, we meet a wary woodsman, an angry bandit (killed and scalped) and a helpful Townsman of Beregost.

When I reach the little city of Beregost, I immediately recruit Kagain, just to use as fodder for the enemies. Not to mention that I steal his helmet, 'tis so nice!

We go and pledge our swords to the romantic bard... O, Garrick! Kagain takes point, and Silke's dead before her first spell is completely uttered. We pick up Garrick, and head to  the smithy to pick up some arrows.

Later, at the Jovial Jugler, we accept teh noble quest given by Bjornin: Root out the half-ogre bandits.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Back with Stob, NE dwarven male Fighter/thief.

Str 18/87
Dex 17
Con 19
Int 11
Wis 11
Cha 11

** 2HS, ** 2 handed weapon style (will also change NPC proficiencies).
Posted Image

After leaving Candlekeep Gorion is killed and I outrun Imoen. Five likely characters are soon located.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

While I was recruiting I found I had the same draining ability as Xzar.
Posted Image

Viconia started to romance me, then Shar Teel took over. May be concurrent, may not.

EasyTutu/Wine on Ubuntu Linux.
BG1NPC, BG1UB, HARDTIMES, UB, ATWEAKS, 1PP, LIGHTMAPS, TUTUGUI, RANDOMISER Mode 1, BG2_TWEAKS.
Yeslick (dwarven clerics) able to use axe.
GENERALIZED_BIFFING

Edited by Gate70, 01 May 2011 - 01:35 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
How stable is the Ubuntu build with tutu Gate? I'm thinking of adding it on to run the internet/ some games?

SpiffyKeen

SpiffyKeen
  • Members
  • 54 posts
Tolman is back in action! 

He decided to drop the large party and travel with Quayle only.  They hit the FAI to finish up a few side quests that had been taken care of long ago.  They also purchased two INT potions (blue and purple) for Quayle to scribe the stash of scrolls he had been collecting.  From there they helped a farmer and a young priestess up by Baldur's Gate.  Then they headed back to Beregost to ID their treasure and milk some more experience from the area ... I mean help clear some newly developing monster threats. 

Then the two traveled along the coast, gaining more battle experience.  Quayle's skeleton summons helped with sirines.  To continue south, they had to travel inland where they met wolves, ghasts, hobgoblins, and Bassilius.  None of those potential relationships worked out too well.  Melicamp didn't survive Tolman's help either, unfortunately.  Farther south along the coast, a scared mage named Arkushule managed to drop Quayle, and just like Khalid, right before dying. 

Posted Image

So, after a trip to the Song of the Morning Temple, Quayle was back in action.  After more sirines, Tolman found a neat treasure trove guarded by golems.  His backstab ability took care of them efficiently enough.  Again traveling farther south, Tolman encountered Commander Brage.  After a visit to the Temple of Helm, he then hopped from Nashkel east to Durlag's Tower.  Most of the tower above ground was searched and cleared.  Then the two short adventurers traveled down and cleared out the first large dungeon area.  Besides a few swipe hits from spiders, golems, and skeleton warriors, Tolman did a good job disabling the traps and monsters.  Thre were no major disasters or scary moments/near death experiences.  Even with that success, however, Tolman decided it was time to leave with the loot already obtained (a lot of which they sold to Erdane), and perhaps return at a later date to explore some more.  From there, they traveled south through some wastelands until they came to a more grassy region in the Cloudpeaks.  (Along the way, they looted a bunch of tombs which required fighting off a Revenant and some Ghasts.  I got ... um ... Quayle got sloppy, and was almost killed by one of the Ghasts, but Tolman came to his rescue just in time.) 

Posted Image

Along a cliff they met Lena and agreed to bring Samuel back to the Temple of Wisdom at the FAI.  The trip back was long and hard for the two weaklings.  Back at the Temple of Wisdom, they received their reward and again bought 2 INT potions for Quayle who scribed a bunch of scrolls and identified a bundles of magical ammo.  Now Quayle has decent options for spells up through level 5. 

I stopped here.  Tolman is a Fighter Level 6/Thief Level 7, and Quayle is Level 6/6.  Tolman will probably want to continue along the east side of the region visiting the Ulcaster and Firewine Ruins.  From there, who knows what will happen.  He might eventually get around to dealing with important issues in the region, like bandits and shortage of iron. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

ussnorway wrote...
How stable is the Ubuntu build with tutu Gate? I'm thinking of adding it on to run the internet/ some games?

I started using Ubuntu a while back, got it dual-booted on a Vista laptop and haven't started Windows for 3-4 months now. Bear in mind I'm not a Unix/Linux guru so may be doing things badly.

EasyTutu works really well. I can't get BGT (or Big World Project) to work but that may be my lack of knowledge. I apologise if the below sounds complicated/messy but I'm still learning.

- You need Wine (windows emulator) installed first. Ubuntu can do this for you in the applications/software centre app.
- I then had to define 'drives' for each disk. Names taken as shown on "places/computer" which is like windows explorer. BG, SOA and TOB were obvious. I called TotSC bg though as it showed the same name as TOB.
Posted Image
- BG1/TotSC & patch install really easy.
- SOA/TOB were a bit tricky to install (the setup.exe's on my 4-in-1 disks aren't defined as allowable executing programs). My solution was to open a terminal session, type WINE and drag the executable from another window into the terminal and this seems to ignore the file attributes.
- EasyTutu installed easily. It was laggy until I added generalised biffing mod. Super-smooth now.
- Most mods stop between the unpack and setup. I have to cancel them from the system monitor then run the setup.
- Down-version (WeiDU) mod setup's don't seem to self-update. I usually have to find the newest/largest (e.g. setup-ub.exe is 669k) and delete others (e.g. setup-TutuGUI.exe was 444kb) and then copy/paste/rename setup-ub(copy).exe to setup-TutuGUI.exe before trying to run it.
- Mode 1 of the item randomiser has to be run from the terminal using "WeInstall randomiser" command. Maybe I should install all mods this way...or read instructions....Mode 2 worked any old way.

BomimoDK

BomimoDK
  • Members
  • 806 posts
Never been able to get CMD to work with the BGT installers. My solution is to install it on windows and THEN transfer the whole 5-6GB thing to my laptop in the corresponding folder. Works fine if you enable OpenGL rendering.

On another note: Am i even allowed to have this sig since i've only ever attempted ONE no-reload so far and i bit the dust hard?

Edited by BomimoDK, 02 May 2011 - 03:15 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Thanks Gate, I'll get it set up as soon as the new harddrive arrives. Your sig looks fine to me Bomimo. For every full no-reload I have at least 10 that bite the dust... Just keep going m8.

p.s.
I've yet to meet any one who thinks Vista (4X slower than XP) is a good system.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts

ussnorway wrote...
I've yet to meet any one who thinks Vista (4X slower than XP) is a good system.

But... it's so much shinier...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Joining the challenge again.  I started out with the intention of rolling a fighter / thief, but somehow got sidetracked into picking a fighter / mage / thief.  Oh well - should make for a good solo character.  The hangover from that decision is also why his intelligence is a bit low, although it makes very little difference in game terms anyway.  

Here's Jack after Candlekeep and clearing Gorion's Rest.  His injury was the result of me dozing off for a couple of seconds despite being chased by a ravenous wolf.  Definitely time for bedPosted Image.
Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 04 May 2011 - 12:36 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
I would go three man with those stats until he gets up and running eg. taking say Imoen (for the traps) & Xzar (to cast sleep) would still leave plenty of XP but gives you someone to help if you get held or sacrifice if all is not quite according to plan.

Sorry Grond0, I know this is not your first rodeo. :wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 04 May 2011 - 01:14 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Oh dear - Jack came a cropper against the flesh golems at High Hedge.  The safe thing to do would have been to use a throwing dagger against them, but I thought a thief should try a backstab.  Unfortunately with the action being partly hidden by a wall I didn't notice that Jack had actually failed in his attack (until after the golem retaliated).  As I didn't get very far (level 2 / 2 / 3) I will probably have another go with a similar character.

Lawisendro

Lawisendro
  • Members
  • 9 posts
We make our way to the zone mentioned by Bjornin, and as we come across a talking hen, I realise that we are in the worng zone. Nevertheless, we make our way north to the High Hedge. We save Melicamp and we exchange Garrick for Kivan.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
And Jill follows Jack down the long road to the dark. She was making good progress (level 4 / 4 / 5) and had just completed the mines, but came unstuck against Narcillicus. He enfeebled her, which was a pain, while the mustard jellies got 2 rapid criticals to bring her hit points right down. She did actually have the chance to take a potion of invisibility, but took one of strength instead. Big mistake as Narcillicus used a power word sleep on her and some passing skeletons rapidly finished the job.

Lawisendro

Lawisendro
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Without doing anything more, we take the shortest route to Nashkel (i wanna keep Jaheira and Khalid happy) and then we sell our stuff at the shop. I don't wanna pick up Minsc and Boo yet; I don't wanna do Gnoll Keep right now. Instead, we stalk off into the wilderness.

Waylaid: A mountain bear goes bonkers at us. Cyric's blood, all but Lawi and Kagain is toast, oh well, back to Nashkel and the Helmite temåple, I s'pose. Deciding not to spend 200 g on Kivan, I rethink my previous staement about Minsc. I recruit him. Just after I've ressed Kagain, he leaves me for teh Caravan. Bummer.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts
I thought I'd take a crack at this so I loaded up TotSC, SOA/TOB, TOB Patch, Easy Tutu, BG1/UB. Level1NPCs and NPC1 Project. Then I started a new PC (Stanley, F, LG, 18/82/12/18/10/10/11, *LS/*Flail/**S&SS) last night and was ready to let you all know this morning.

I left Candlekeep w/my stud fighter, met up w/Imoen, picked up Gorion's stuff in Lion's Way, and headed for the Friendly Arm Inn.

Imoen and my PC instantly ran into two wolves walking away from Gorion's body. Imoen was dispatched by wolf number one before I could retire her to archers range. My fault - moved he rtoo close initially.

After drinking all but one of our five Potions of Healing we'd had I took care of the wolves and then had to run from the Gibberlings on the Coast Way.

Then I headed to the Friendly Arm Inn thinking I'd kill Tarnish and then raise Imoen. I got killed by Tarnish. Challenge over.

For me, getting past Tarnish to Khalid/Jaheira is the biggest hump of all. Since I revile Xzar and Montaron (no evil/none of the time) I've gotta get past him with just me and Imoen - unless I go get other NPCs which comes w/challenges of it's own).

I'll try again tonight w/a new PC.

The Fred

The Fred
  • Members
  • 2,516 posts
Tarnesh can be a killer for new players and no-reloaders alike. I just went to Beregost first and got a couple of healthy levels under my belt before even heading to the FAI. It also has the advantage that Khalid and Jaheira are then higher levels when you get them.