Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Valeria Karinor, human skald, update 3

Valeria Karinor quickly worked her way through the mines, eventually finding and killing Mulahey. She took Xan with her to Nashkell, in case she needed a mage later, and disrupted Nimbul with magic missles. However, since the party gained a reputation point (rep 20), Xan left forever as Valeria dismissed him, so that plan didn't work out.

During a quick trip to Beregost, Tranzig died, and the party travelled to the temple, challenging the vampire wolves, using the Skald song and some magical weapons. While exploring Larswood and Peldvale, Valeria&co scalped a lot of bandits, took care of some druids and gained some valuable experience. At the bandit camp, the party carefully pulled some of the enemies away from their allies and took them out, eventually entering the cave and the tents.

Soon, the group encountered Taugosz, quickly reatreating and separating him from the others. Now, it was time to enter the big tent. Using magic missles and a potion of firebreath, the mage was defeated quickly, and with some focused attacks and ghoul touch, all enemies were eventually slain. This time, Item Randomiser was nice, and the party gained not only the Long Bow of Marksmannship, but also the Eagle Bow! Finally, Valeria returned to Beregost, got the ankheg armor and bought the Shadow Armor.

Enuhal

• Blackraven likes this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Nice to see you back in action, Enuhal! BTW, which mode of Item Randomiser you are using? In my setup both Light Crossbow of Speed and Shadow Armor are also randomised. Actually all stores are nearly emptied of *shiny ones*... In any case all the best and safe travels for Valeria!

• Blackraven likes this

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Hey,

I am using mode 1 of the Item Randomiser. In my game, the Crossbow of Speed and the Shadow Armor are both available at Feldepost's, for very high prices (along with the Poison Dagger, but I'm not interested in that one right now). I think this might not be random, but due to Hard Times instead, but I'm not sure (I never really played that long with both of these mods). Generally, I think Hard Times overwrites some of the Item Randomiser's changes, but I'm no expert when it comes to mods, so I really wouldn't now - I just go along with what the game gives me.

Enuhal

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Valeria Karinor, human skald, update 4

Valeria travelled to Cloakwood, adding Coran as a final addition to her party and helping Aldeth. The group rushed through the next 2 areas, fought the hamadryad and entered the wyvern cave to complete Corans quest.

Next, I decided to explore the Nashkell Mines exit area. Jaheira used a protection from undead scroll to kill the revenant, the party took out the amazons with ranged weapons and Narcillicus was slain as well.

At the Firewine Bridge, the party defeated both Meilum and Kahrk, whose more dangerous spells were drawn out by a lone Khalid with a potion of magic blocking. Next stop was Gullykin - here, the bounty hunter party's cleric managed to confuse Khalid before Valeria could disrupt him, but there was no harm done, as the others quickly pierced all their enemies with ranged weapons. Lastly, the group helped the halflings by killing an ogre magus and a mage (gaining Valeria some useful scrolls), but I decided to save the rest of the Firewine Ruins for another time.

Valeria is now a level 7 skald, and she's doing quite well, though I really hope to find some better magical melee weapons - the ones I get usually don't match the proficiencies of my characters at all.

Enuhal

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hey,

I am using mode 1 of the Item Randomiser. In my game, the Crossbow of Speed and the Shadow Armor are both available at Feldepost's, for very high prices (along with the Poison Dagger, but I'm not interested in that one right now). I think this might not be random, but due to Hard Times instead, but I'm not sure (I never really played that long with both of these mods). Generally, I think Hard Times overwrites some of the Item Randomiser's changes, but I'm no expert when it comes to mods, so I really wouldn't now - I just go along with what the game gives me.

Enuhal

That's what I always do when installing mods. I actually think it is more fun, if you don't know what to expect. :)

• Blackraven likes this

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

It can be a lot of fun, sure (for example, I received a ring in Gullykin which give permanent "Luck" to Valeria - certainly added by a mod, but I'm not sure which one) - but it can also be quite dangerous, which is why I am avoiding Ulcaster School, because Hard Times adds a high level encounter there which I've never played in my life - no idea how tough it will be.

Valeria Karinor, human skald, update 5

So - I finally started making some bad calls, showing my relative inexperience with BG1 compared to the second game. I just don't know the scripts for the BG1 mages very well, and then there are the deadly Cloakwood ambushes - knowing were exactly the traps are would have been helpful :)

As you will see, Valerias run almost ended this time (really, it came down to a lot of luck), but in the end she survived and is doing much better now.

Anyway, before all the trouble started, Valeria was exploring the Ulcaster area, avoiding the school. She also went to the fishermen's village and killed a lot of Ankhegs, helped a farmer and accidentally murdered Tenya (there was an arrow mid flight when she surrendered, nothing I could do). Next, the group travelled to High Hedge to buy some potions for potential basilisk ambushes and attacked the red wizards - Valeria found her first tome here, increasing her charisma to 19.

In the same area, Imoen accidentally triggered a trap (even though I knew it was there! Shouldn't be so impatient), and I decided that Khalid needed to drink a potion of freedom to protect the party from spiders. On the way back to FAI, the exact basilsk ambush I expected did in fact happen, so - good thing I bought those potions, otherwise I propably would have lost at least Khalid, potentially everyone. I also decided to clear out the Firewine Dungeon, luckily without any major problems.

Next, the party entered the second Cloakwood level to defeat Centeol. The spiders gathered around Khalid (who had used a protection from poison scroll), Valeria used her slow spell, Khalid drank a potion to protect himself from fire and Coran threw his oil of fiery burning at the group, severely weakening all the enemies - they were quickly killed.

In the next area, afer defeating Peter, some shadow druids attacked the party, and while their leader used an undisruptable hold spell, he soon perished as well. Now it was time to challenge Drasus' party. First, the enemies were lured away, then taken out. The invisible mage managed to use his confusion spell before dying, affecting 4 party members, but it wore off before any harm was done. Oh, and Drasus dropped the Boots of Grounding - this will be important later on!

Now it's time to get to the interesting part. Hareishan, the wizard in the second level of the Cloakwood Mines, and her group of guards. I didn't really remeber their KI behaviour, so when I tried to lure some of the guards away, I was quite surprised to hear Hareishan immediately cast improved invisibility. While retreating, my party was flanked by another group of guards using another entrance (I approached Hareishan from the south). Next, before I could disrupt her (she was out of sight, and I couldn't use spells on her anyway due to her improved invisibility), the wizard used her lightning bolt spell. It was quite devastating, as you can see here. Yes, this is Valeria at 11 hp, while the bolt is about to bounce through her again. Well, she would have been dead already if not for the Boots of Grounding. She drank a healing potion before the bolt hit her again - and luckily only took 8 points of damage! Now that I think about it, I should have had her drink a potion of absorption instead, that would have been MUCH more safe. The next bounce didn't hit Valeria at all, and the spell ended, though all party members but Coran and Imoen were at devastatingly low hp at this point.

Hareishan didn't continue to be as smart, however, and walked up the group, so she was killed rather quickly, and the other guards could be defeated.

By the way, this incident continues the trend of lightning bolt being the number one reason for any of my BG1 fails. I don't know if someone here remembers my first successful triology no-reload attempt (a druid called Kalis) - there, I at one point lost an entire party of 5 (everyone but the main character himself) to a single lightning bolt, and they all died permanently.

Next mistake: I knew I had to rest, but I tried to rest inside the mines, not remembering the GIGANTIC spawn of guards you can encounter here if you do that. I have no screenshots for this, but a lot of bow-using guards targeted Jaheira, almost killing her - which is why I ran outside, trying to rest there - but I was too lazy to move to a more open space, so, again, impatience was my undoing, as I was disrupted by two lowly guards who killed Jaheira before she could move away (her AC is quite horrible at this point). So - back to FAI, to resurrect Jaheira. Now, after getting my fighter/druid back, I tried to return to the mines, but during one of many ambushes, this happened: klick here

So, essentially, the trap seems to be right where the party starts off, and Imoen didn't manage to find it before I had to move my characters to avoid the ettercap's attacks. The net disabled most party members, though I did have another potion of freedom for Khalid (my last one) and Spider's Bane for Ajantis (though he isn't proficient with two-handed swords - no one in my party is, sadly). The death of Jaheira and the almost-death of Khalid is mainly the result of underestimating the ettercap's poison, getting exactly the character who could remove it poisoned, having my one antidote and one elixir of health on exactly the wrong characters and having an extended period of time in which Jaheira always failed her save.

So - back to FAI again. This time, I finally managed to reach the mines. I was extra careful with enemy wizards now, and both Natasha and the ogre magus didn't manage to harm my party at all. Now, Davaeorn was another story. I used some potions (but not too many - they are quite rare and expensive with hard times) to protect select party members (especially Khalid and Valeria), equipped Coran with the few magical arrows I found (less than 20), the others had to use melee weapons. Now, Davaeorn was disrupted a few times, but he managed to use a fireball, killing an isolated Imoen (even though she used a potion of fire resistance). Luckily, Davaeorn was helpless against Coran's magical arrows, and with some quick hits, a crit and a hit from Jaheira, he was eventually defeated.

Now, with Baldur's Gate open, Valeria delivered some minor items for some of the quests to gain a little bit of experience, killed a couple of wizards thanks to remove fear, helped Aldeth again to gain a melee weapon for Ajantis and killed Larze. She also had Coran drink 2 potions of master thievery and steal Algernon's Cloak.

New items include the Short Sword +2, the Ring of Fire Resistance and the Cloak of Protection +2 (all from Davaeorn). Valeria is now a level 8 skald and plans to visit the Sword Coast next. By the way - does a potion of mind focusing protect a character from being charmed? This game is so much easier when you have a cleric.

Enuhal

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts

Hey,

Enuhal

I use both of those mods, always using Hard Times first & Randomizer last w/all my others tucked in between. And you're right, the Crossbow of Speed, Dagger of Venom & Shadow Armor are always @ Feldeposts.  So, I agree, I think Hard Times takes precedence b/c I reloaded everything many times w/the same result.  

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

She also went to the fishermen's village and killed a lot of Ankhegs, helped a farmer and accidentally murdered Tenya (there was an arrow mid flight when she surrendered, nothing I could do). Next, the group travelled to High Hedge to buy some potions for potential basilisk ambushes and attacked the red wizards - Valeria found her first tome here, increasing her charisma to 19.

By the way - does a potion of mind focusing protect a character from being charmed? This game is so much easier when you have a cleric.

Sounds like an exciting run Enuhal, keep it going!

For Tenya you could attack with fists if you want to avoid killing her.

I agree its icon is confusing, but a potion of mind focusing won't prevent charm.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Sounds like an exciting run Enuhal, keep it going!

For Tenya you could attack with fists if you want to avoid killing her.

I agree its icon is confusing, but a potion of mind focusing won't prevent charm.

Thanks; Yeah, attacking with fists seems like a good idea, I never really consider that (unless I'm playing a Monk, in which case they are lethal anyway). As for the potion of mind focusing, I went ahead and tested it myself, coming to the same conclusion as you did - I don't really get why it grants you the mind shield icon at all.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

As for the potion of mind focusing, I went ahead and tested it myself, coming to the same conclusion as you did - I don't really get why it grants you the mind shield icon at all.

Probably just laziness.  The icon linked to a spell or effect is totally independent of the effect itself, so there are plenty of mistakes in the game where an incorrect icon (or none at all) are used.  In this case perhaps someone thought that the fact it's called mind focusing made the charm protection icon relevant.  It's even possible, though I think it unlikely, that there was originally a developer intention to include charm protection in the potion's effects.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

@Enuhal

A bit of advice for fighting Tenya once you get reasonably powerful. Once you have hit her, switch to fists, that is if you are confident that she can't kill you.

If you are very powerful it might be best to start with fists.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Thanks @ Grimwald, I'll keep that in mind.

Valeria Karinor, human skald, update 6

Part of this was played yesterday (mainly the sword coast and the basilsks). After the Cloakwood fiasco, everything is back to normal and going according to plan now.

I started off helping Shoal, gaining the helmet of defense. Valeria returned a ring for a mad gnome, dealing with some carrion crawlers, and slowed a group of ogres. Here you can see Khalid, testing the potion of mind focusing - as previously mentioned, it doesn't work, but Khalid killed all the Sirens anyway - they kept charming him, but when he was charmed, they didn't attack him, and when he wasn't, their attacks didn't hit. As soon as they were out of spells, the party joined to finish them.

In the next area, I decided to use the same tactic, with success. In the cave, some flesh golems were killed, and Valeria found a tome to raise her constitution to 16 again. Quite useful.

I rested and learned some protection from petrification spells to deal with the basilsks. Again, Khalid was protected and the others joined him as soon as the basilisks focused their attention on the fighter. Jaheira summoned the help of a forest being to deal with a hostile party (tome of intelligence for Valeria). Finally, Khalid and Korax killed Mutamin and all of the remaining basilisks.

Now, I started doing pretty much all of the Baldur's Gate sidequests and encounters (not including Degrodel). Some examples include Nemphre, Michael and Taxek, Desreta and Vay-ya (they managed to confuse some of the characters, but luckily no party members or peasants died), the greater basilisk, the ogre magi (I decided to use fire protection for Khalid and two fireball potions, because this group can be quite dangerous), Sunin and his guards (tome of wisdom for Valeria here), this group of thieves, and, for some reason, the entire guild - I don't know why Alatos turned hostile as well after completing his quest, he normally doesn't do that. By the way, I did this one the stealthy way, don't want Shandalar to force-send me away if I'm not ready, and I'm not that keen on fighting mages.

I also decided to let Valeria learn all available scrolls I could find, bought some potions, stole balduran's cloak etc. - gold is no longer much of a problem for me at this point, even with Hard Times.

Next, I went down into the sewers, defeating the ogre magus. I also killed Jalantha for her tome after helping Lothander, took care of Marek, accidentally got into a fight with a lot of sailors - I managed to avoid killing any peasants, and the enemies were quickly dealt with - took care of Ramazith and his tower (using a protection from undead scroll for the ghasts) and entered Jardak's house. I actually forgot that his servant is a spellcaster, so I couldn't stop his horror spell, but he died anyway. Oh, and his master was nice enough to drop the boots of speed!

Oh, I also explored larger parts of the sewers, investigated the seven suns and challenged the hostile party in the Helm&Cloak inn, buffing with remove fear, strength of one, bless and haste. No problem for Valeria&co.

As for items, in addition to the tomes and the boots of speed, I found a full plate armor and a full plate +1 plus a lot of potions. Also, the Ring of Holiness for Jaheira. No weapons for now (I really would like to find Rancor at some point!). Valeria is now a level 9 skald, and she'll be visiting the ice island next.

Enuhal

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Started a new game with an elven inquisitor.

Baldr000-1.jpg

I was panic-stricken when I discovered that my Moonblade had been stolen. Realising that I would have to fight to get it back I bought fresh equipment and went in search of the thief. When I caught up with him it was a tough fight and I was sorely wounded, but I was so relieved to get it back in my possession.

With it I fought another assassin and finished off some chores before setting out in the direction of the Friendly Arms Inn. In yet another ambush Gorion was killed. I continued on my way to the inn picking up a diamond and a ring of protection on the way.

There another assassin tried to kill me, but I prevailed.

Baldr001.jpg

I then helped a priestess against some evil fishermen but found that I was disappointed to find that I was unable to enter Baldur’s Gate.

I therefore headed for Beregost where I helped Marl come to terms with the death of his son, and bought a book for Firebead. After fighting another assassin I was able to return Perdue’s sword to him.

I then helped Melicamp to get back into shape. I got onto a fight with Silke and won.

Baldr002.jpg

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

wow 20 point hit... did she cut him into two equal halves?

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

wow 20 point hit... did she cut him into two equal halves?

I think that the sub-race mod which gives +1 strength at the cost of -1 intelligence and -1 charisma for sylvan elves might be a bit generous. Perhaps -5% experience as well, might have been in order. Mind you, at that stage of the game, experience hasn't come into play.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Chimera {2} - human monk (update 1)

I had a bit more time to play this morning before the family got up, but decided it would be too risky to continue with Hale while I was tired.  Instead I've restarted Chimera.  He's had a decent start and is about to go to the Nashkel mines.  His HPs are a bit below average, which makes him fairly vulnerable, although this was the only occasion so far that he's been badly damaged.

ChimeraL7_zps210b9fd8.jpg

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I killed Karlat.

Baldr003.jpg

Retrieved Gurke's Cloak.

Baldr004.jpg

I returned to Joia a ring that I found on a dead hobgoblin, and just north of there I found Farmer Brun’s dead son. To get his body, I had to kill several Ankheg. They sometimes wounded me, and whilst I was resting occasionally I would be attacked by another so the battle to get to his body took some time

Baldr005.jpg

I then went out to the lighthouse, helped a widow find her son and then took on some sirene.

Baldr007.jpg

and some golems.

Baldr008.jpg

Baldr009.jpg

Though the sirene confused me, that didn’t stop me killing them. I found a very useful tome in the cave which I used to raise my constitution to 18.

I then helped Rufie and a dryad.

Baldr010.jpg

And on my way back to civilization I killed a bear.

Baldr011.jpg

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

After stashing my loot at the carnival and resting, I returned to the gnoll fortress and after looting a cave I headed northwards where I rescued a wimp from a bear.

Baldr012.jpg

Sadly the dark side of my nature came to the fore and desire for a cloak caused me to kill Algernon reducing my reputation to 10.

With the help of Galtek I was able to help Prism.

Baldr013.jpg

I returned the gems to Oublek and charmed him. He then helped me against a baby wyvern, but sadly died before I was able to kill it.

Baldr014.jpg

The Great Gazib then helped me against the Amazing Oompah. However when we fought against some kobolds he was killed.

Baldr015.jpg

I then went in search of a ring to protect from fire. A flaming fist mercenary approached me and I enlisted his unwilling help to fight a winter wolf. We won, though the mercenary died.

Baldr018.jpg

I did some more sirene hunting and prevailed against them and some ogres.

Baldr022.jpg

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I then saved Arabelle.

Baldr024.png

In transit I killed an ogre/mage and I then headed for the mines which proved to be quite easy since Mulahey panicked after being blasted with my necklace of missiles.

Baldr026.png

Outside I was able to engage some more assassins a few at a time.

Baldr029.jpg

Baldr030.jpg

And I then cleared the south of the area helping a man against a revanant on the way.

Baldr034.jpg

By using oil of speed I was able to deal with Tazok with ease:

Baldr040.jpg

And I then returned to Beregost to kill Tranzig:

Baldr041.jpg

I then returned to the bandit camp where I started by killing those outside Tazok's tent:

Baldr042.jpg

I then went inside and used necklace of missiles to wipe out most of the enemy. I panicked at that stage, but was soon able to finish the last one off.

Baldr043.jpg

I killed the druids to help Aldeth and in Cloakwood found the dead body of a brother.

I proceeded to the Cloakwood mines and using necklace of missiles, remove magic and true sight was able to deal with a strong party there.

Baldr046.jpg

I then proceeded down into the mine.

Baldr048.jpg

Baldr049.jpg

After completing the mine I went to Baldur's Gate where I dealt with an ogre/mage:

Baldr052.jpg

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Chimera {2} - human monk (update 2)

I've made a bit more progress with Chimera this evening.  To make things a bit different for this run I'm not allowing him any use of offensive damage items (other than weapons) in BG1.  He had already bought the necklace of missiles last time, but not used it - so that will be sold back and he won't be using wands.

Obeying that restriction he's done the following:
- stunned Mulahey (twice, as he recovered from the first stun).
- stealth shot amazons.
- Nimbul hit twice before he could buff, leaving behind just a stunned pair of boots.
- Tranzig saved twice against stun, but Chimera dodged a retaliatory spell using the stairs before finishing him off.
- at the bandit camp just stealthed in to rob the main tent (used a potion of absorption there, which was his first use of any item other than weapons).
- in the Cloakwood used Bhaal horror to panic the last ettercap guarding the web traps (as it will normally only appear at the instant the trap triggers) while Chimera ran through them.
- also used horror to split up Drasus & co, though a result of that was that Kysus disappeared and I couldn't find him.  Rezdan was stealth shot, while Drasus and Genthore were killed taking advantage of Chimera's faster weapon speed using fists.
- stealthed down to Daveorn where the guard and battle horrors died to stealth attacks (using Greywolf's sword for the latter).  The mage got a series of stealth shots (level 7).
- had one final scout around the area and this time found Kysus to provide another target for stealth shots.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Valeria Karinor, human skald, update 7

This is my progress from yesterday, as I didn't have any time to play today.

I started off with the prison island, and since I had 3 protection from magic scrolls, why not use one of them? Of course, this makes the area quite easy. I had Khalid pretty much solo the place, and while he took some damage from the ankhegs, he quickly progressed towards the final battle.

Now, Valeria and her group started investigating the Iron Throne HQ, eventually buffing with things like haste, remove fear, bless and strength of one before entering the top level. I used spells like horror and mantle of fear to get rid of some of the enemies, while others were targetted and disrupted by the hasted ranged weapon users. This worked out quite well, and soon, the battle was won.

Now, time for Candlekeep. Valeria used remove fear and Jaheira summoned forest beings to take out the Iron Throne leaders (something I rarely do, but it turned out to be a great idea, because one of them dropped a ring of protection +2). In the catacombs, the party dealt with some ghasts, phase spiders, skeletons and doppelgangers, with Imoen scouting ahead, looking for traps. For Prat, Jaheira summoned some animals, and the same buffs as with the Iron Throne HQ party were used again. While one of the summons got confused, the battle was quickly done. A protected Khalid also took care of the greater basilisks.

Back in Baldur's Gate, after being imprisoned and freed again, the party defeated some mercenaries, found the dexterity tome in Duke Eltan's quarters (finally! I thought I might have just missed it) and fought Cythandria and her ogres. The wizard died before being able to do anything at all. Slythe and Krystin didn't make any trouble as well. For the duchal palace, I used forest beings, the usual buffs (not including strength of one), frost giant strength potions and potions of heroism plus the horror spell; Also, Jaheira tried to dispel some of the greater doppelgangers buffs. Belt survived, and I was quite relieved.

Instead of chasing Sarevok, Valeria decided to visit Balduran's Island next.

Enuhal

• Dogdancing and Grimwald the Wise like this

• Members
  • 981 posts

We took care of our fallen, rested & then as quickly as possible headed for the location where I now believed the Bandit Camp to be located. The west to east, south to north strategy seems to be working so I’m gonna keep pushing forward. The Peldvale got tough, real tough @ the end & I expect nothing less @ the heart of the nest. Early on it was a pack of six wild dogs, four Chill Hobgoblins or mercenaries & a half dozen skeleton’s w/Composite Longbows. Then we stumbled onto the camp. I had us try to slip into a tent on the corner of the wood but we were spotted. & suddenly there were bandits everywhere, a large thud w/a bow & an even larger knight in Full Plate w/a Tower Shield. Arrows were flying everywhere as I tried to back us into the word to reset & come @ it again. For a guy in Full Plate that guy was moving quickly. Suddenly there were bandits in the wood line too & I started. The fight was brutal. My spellcasters were working hard to tangle of the bandits so we could focus on the knight.  It didn’t work that well & the best we could manage was a Stinking Cloud that knocked the bandit bows out for a bit. I was toe to toe w/the knight, me in splint mail, he is full plate but I was holding my own. By the time it was over, I’d killed all the bandits & the knight but at the expense of Minsc, Khalid & Imoen. We collected what we could & withdrew to Beregost b/c we needed to cash in the bandit scalps to raise my noble companions.  We have a mission to complete. 

Key Event: I expected on return that the bandits would have reconstituted but clearly we’d hurt them & they’d been unable to. It was obvious where the leaders’ tent was located as it was much larger than the others & there were chests, boxes & had been the locale where we’d encountered the first swarm of bandits. There was no sound so I was able to move up to the doorway & deploy my companions.  I even had time to cast spells unmolested. Even so, I suspected the leaders would have long sense vanished, so I thought the effort overly cautious. Khalid & Imoen were placed in positions to be able to fire on enemies coming out the door, Jaheira & Dynahier off to either side & Minsc outside the door. Jaheira Blessed us all & protected herself w/Barkskin & Armor of faith; Dynahier w/Shield, & Imoen w/her innate Invisibility & Reflected Image. Once my companions were set, I assaulted thru the door & saw an archer of some type directly in front of me, a Gnoll to his left & a mage to his right. I tried to land a blow on the archer but was unable to & heard the wizard incanting so I withdrew through the door followed by the archer & the Gnoll. We converged on them w/spell & steel & killed the two of them relatively easily but the archer hurt Minsc & then when I ordered Minsc to w/draw he was hit again & perished.  I waited only a moment before I realized the best course was to keep up the pressure so I charged back in to locate the mage & draw him out. By now he’d been joined by a Chill Hobgoblin & they pursued me outside where we cut them down in combat. Amongst the treasure were two parchments pointing me to the Cloakwood next, as did a rogue that was a prisoner in the tent. Quickly I got us out of there to the FAI, raised Minsc & headed for Thalantyr to purchase a Potion of Perception to help Imoen open the many locked chests in the Bandit Camp that were unable to before heading to the Cloakwood to hunt down Gorion’s murderer. 

28dddd0a8853e94ba1f63f4b63c2b9.jpg
BATTLE OF THE BANDIT CAMP

Treasure of Note: Full Plate Armor & Large Shield +1 (Me); Boots of Avoidance (Minsc); Many scrolls (Dynahier)

Current Disposition: Resting & recuperating & the FAI

Next Steps:  Continue the trail into the Cloakwoods

Level Up:

Dynahier’s guild sent a rider to meet her & inform her that she’s now a Theurgist (Mage/Invoker//4). They granted her one

each 1st & 2nd level Invoker spells

Khalid advanced to Scout (Ranger/Archer//4)

Imoen Imoen’s received word from her Thief’s Guild that can now call herself a Burglar (Thief/Charming Rogue//5. She

improved to 100% Find/Remove Traps & 60% Open Locks

Current Party: (Reputation: 13Popular – defeated bandits & aided Officer Vai)

Gawain: Ftr/4; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1 w/Boots of Grounding, Bastard Sword*** (SSS**) (Taugasz Khosann)

Minsc: Barbarian/4 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Two-Handed Sword***/THWS** (Spellcaster Defend)(Greywolf)

Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/4 w/Stud Leather w/Bracers/Archery, Longbow***, B/Sword* (TWS***)(Raemon) (Ranger Ranged)

Imoen: Charming Rogue/5 w/Stud Leather, Short Bow*, Dagger* & Short Sword* (Britik)(Thief Def)

Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/4 w/Stud Leather, Sling*, Club*, Scimitar +1 (Gnoll Veteran)(Druid Off/Def)

Dynahier: Mage (Invoker)/4 w/Bracers of Defense AC8, Sling*, (Teven)(Wizard Defensive

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Blue Font: New information;

Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)

(Best kill)(Current AI)

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I am wondering how people show photos as highlighted text (like Enuhal and some others do) to click on as I have so many screenshots for this run that I feel it would be wrong to show them all.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

I am wondering how people show photos as highlighted text (like Enuhal and some others do) to click on as I have so many screenshots for this run that I feel it would be wrong to show them all.

In your Photobucket account rather than using 'IMG' copy the 'Direct' link.  In your post then highlight the words you want and click on the green plus icon above the posting box - then paste the link into the box that opens.  Photobucket also offers an IMG thumb link if you would prefer that to the full size pictures, though you may need to change your settings to see this.  To do that click on your picture in Photobucket, then choose settings, then albums and look at which links you have chosen to display.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

I love screenshots, fwiw. For highligted, mark the text, click the link button, copy/paste image url (http://s1108.photobu...ldr007.jpg.html), so you pic can be seen as this.