Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thorin - dwarf kensai (update 1)

Despite Corey's urging me to try a paladin I think there's still unfinished business with the kensai.  I've rolled up a new character for this attempt.

To mix things up a bit Thorin has started by doing all the low value XP encounters rather than beginning with the high value ones as I normally do.  

He's been in potential danger three times:
- first, he didn't move as instructed at one point while running Greywolf round and if this attack had been a critical it would have been fatal.
- second, I got the timing slightly wrong against Neira and she followed him outside the inn while still casting a hold person and froze him in place.  She didn't quite manage to kill him though before the spell wore off and he also saved against the entangle and was able to run away just after this.
- third, I assumed that when Tranzig's morale broke he would not be able to cast any more spells, but that proved not to be the case and he had one opportunity immediately after the spell to hit Thorin with his staff.

There was one other point of interest early on when Thorin punched the nobleman in the Candlekeep inn unconscious in order to steal from the chest in his room.  It was a bit of a surprise then to find the nobleman had teleported downstairs ahead of him - fortunately though he didn't turn anyone else in the room hostile.

Thorin has just completed the Bandit Camp and will be going after Daveorn next.  As with other recent characters his HPs are horrible (averaging less than 3 on a d10), but I suppose that should provide an extra incentive to be careful ... 

RecordL6_zps9945ec8e.jpg

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thorin - dwarf kensai (update 2)

Thorin has somehow survived Daveorn's challenge and should be set fair for the rest of BG1 now.

Initially I made another major mistake when attempting to pass through a web trap in the spider area using the Greenstone Amulet (which protects against hold and stun, but not web).  Thorin was immediately held and attacked by 2 huge spiders.  His dwarven bonuses allowed him to survive there as he saved against half a dozen hits before escaping and going to High Hedge to get a potion of freedom.

Coming back again he used the Necklace of Missiles to kill the mages and a potion of absorption while meleeing Drasus before working his way down the mine.  That was a difficult challenge as he had no invisibility or regeneration (and is not allowed healing potions) and only 1 magic blocking potion.  However, he did finally make it down to the battle horrors and dragged them upstairs before running round and leaving them there.  The magic blocking was then sufficient to deal with Daveorn - I was surprised when he keeled over here, but checking back found that Thorin had hit with an earlier critical through his mirrors.  

Risking hit and run tactics against the mustard jelly then finally got Thorin to level 7 (unbelievably, once more getting minimum HPs).  After taking quite a few unnecessary risks up to this point, I'll try and settle things back down to finish off BG1.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thorin - dwarf kensai (3rd and final update)

Thorin took no further risks while raising his reputation and securing the tomes.  The battle horrors at Durlag's were taken down with a recharged Necklace, while the golems in the pirate cave failed to get the critical they needed against a potion of absorption and shield amulet charge.  He both got to reputation 20 and level 8 in the basilisk area - finally getting a welcome 14 HPs there, though at 73 HPs he's still well below the average of 88.5.

There were also no problems in the City or Candlekeep.  As usual he pulled Sarevok out alone and almost killed him with his throwing axe before switching to melee for the coup de grace.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0 - Grats! Hope it works out for you in Amn.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

That was the character who got bitten by a snake, but I've started him again ...

Edit 1 ... and finished.

Thorin{2)- dwarf kensai (1st and final update)

Thorin's begun his new life by working his way through to Sarevok - having no trouble there.  He used magic support (such as Amulet of Shielding) rather more than I normally bother with and was never really threatened.  The only worrying moment was me mis-clicking on the conversation option with Belt saying kill Sarevok immediately - fortunately that one offered a second chance when Belt asked if perhaps Thorin had any documentation to back up his accusation.

To make progress a bit easier I maximised reputation after the Bandit Camp rather than Daveorn, so that Thorin could afford the ring of invisibility and to recharge the Necklace of Missiles before the Cloakwood Mine.  That means that Thorin has one slow poison Bhaal ability rather than two horrors - it's not impossible that could come in handy, although normally poison strong enough to kill also ticks fast enough that you can't cast slow poison on yourself anyway.

Here's Thorin's record immediately after the fight with Sarevok.  His base HPs are 93, so slightly above average - which is a nice change from his immediate predecessors.

RecordL8_zps754c0c8f.jpg

Edit 2 - realised in the dungeon I forgot to buy the Claw of Kazgaroth.  Still, I've not been using that much for my kensais, so no great loss I hope.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 65 - (3rd and final update)

Nippy, human dark moon monk (Grond0) & Joye, half-elf conjuror (Gate70)

After a generally decent session Nippy failed to move after being confronted by a ghoul when trying to finish off Daveorn ...

Things started by maximising reputation and shopping at Ulgoth's Beard.  The sirines on the coast failed to beat off the effects of some stinking clouds, while battle horrors at Durlag's Tower fell to a combination of skull traps, magic missiles and wand of heavens.  A number of ghasts and basilisks also provided plentiful XP before Joye tried to get the scimitar from the top of the tower and found the fireball trap blasting through her mirror images to kill her.

The Nashkel mine went according to plan - Mulahey being another to not enjoy stinking cloud - and the amazons outside the back entrance also failed to get any attacks in.

Moving up to the bandit camp Nippy borrowed some extra missile protection to lead the way against the bandits while Joye provided the finishing touches with her spells.  Inside the main tent webs and stinking clouds once more made things easy.

After sneaking through the Cloakwood Drasus and his companions also failed to make it out of webs.  Things continued to seem pretty straight-forward on the way down to Daveorn where Joye placed 3 skull traps ready to ambush his teleporting form.  They failed to make any impression on the mage, but there still didn't seem any real danger as Nippy attacked him protected by a scroll of magic protection.  However, Daveorn managed to summon some monsters and, while Nippy noticed an ogre berserker appear a ghoul also arrived hidden by her scroll animation and immediately held Nippy.  Joye couldn't use invisibility due to the scroll; she tried a desperation emotion, but Nippy died just as that was cast.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 66 - (update 1)

Chanter, half-elf cleric / mage (Grond0) & Tuori, halfling shadowdancer (Gate70)

After a hold was put on progress in our previous run we just rolled up new characters - we're getting close to the end of the unmodded selection of classes available with only 2 left untried in these runs by Grond0 and 3 by Gate70.

ChanterL1_zps61853e47.jpg

TuoriL1_zpseb13d751.jpg

Stats:

Chanter, cleric 1 / mage 1, 8 HPs, 0 kills

Tuori, shadowdancer 1, 8 HPs, 0 kills, 0 deaths

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0, Gate70: Sorry to hear of the end of the earlier MP run - hope this one goes a bit better.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 66 - (update 2)

Chanter, half-elf cleric / mage (Grond0) & Tuori, halfling shadowdancer (Gate70)

This duo got under way today.  Progress followed the normal type of routine.  First, Shoal and basilisks provided a quick start.  Then there was more general progress including raising reputation.  There was then a bit of shopping before filling in some gaps, such as the sirines, and acquiring the tome from Durlag's Tower.  Finally they breezed through the Nashkel mine, killed Nimbul and Tranzig and have just arrived at the Bandit Camp.

Problems encountered included:

- Tuori failing to hide while looting the revenants tomb and paying the price.

- Tuori taking a healing potion an instant before being hit by a lightning bolt by Kirian that would have killed her.

- the assault on Bassilus got off to a good start when he was one of many enemies silenced.  However, the skeleton archers were dangerous and not much damage was done to Bassilus before he recovered and held Tuori.  Chanter tried to divert the attention of attacking zombies (and lost Bassilus' equipment after finishing him off with a cold wand blast), but was unable to do so before Tuori expired (I'm not sure whether she was high enough level to turn them, but that might have been a better option to try).

There were a couple of other points of interest:

- Tuori robbed the potion seller at the Carnival and tried to run when the alarm was raised, only to find herself teleported to the top of the map area.

- Tuori also used shadowstep a few times to move away from danger, e.g. to get out of sight after robbing the ankheg's treasure.  Here she's moving out of range of Kirian after attempting a backstab.

Stats:

Chanter, cleric 6 / mage 5, 40 HPs, 85 kills

Tuori, shadowdancer 7, 47 HPs, 88 kills, 2 deaths

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Nereniel, Half-Elf solo Skald, 1st update:

Too lazy/impatient for group play with / journaling about William Tell, my legendary marksman, I decided to to try something new (for me): to solo a Bard. I know that Blades are actually quite popular solo characters, and I know that a successful no-reload trilogy run has been achieved with a Blade (Saros Shadow Follower, not sure whether solo or in a party). And Alesia_BH succeeded with a Jester. I'm going to see how I'll fare with my first solo Bard, a Skald, which is my prefered Bard kit. 
I'm doing this in BGT with the Rogue Rebelancing mod with all the components affecting Bards installed: pnp dualwielding, Bard kit revisions, Bard HLA revisions, proper spell progression for Bards, and additional equipment for Thieves and Bards. (Besides RR I've got my usual difficulty improving mods installed such as Hard Times, aTweaks, SCS I/II v21, Ascension, but also a couple of tweaks that should make things slightly easier, such as multiple protection items, bigger item stacks, containers for sale, full hitpoints for all creatures including charname, importation into SoA of a number of items, including Cloak of Balduran.)
Like most people probably, I always like to use a character's class/kit-specific abilities as much as possible to create more or less unique playing experiences. In the case of the Skald, the special feature is of course the battlesong. In order to make something out if that song, my character will try to work with summons a lot. Unfortunately most of BG1 offers little in terms of summons, so the first part of the game doesn't really contain much action with song-buffing, though there is some.

Meet Nereniel:

Spoiler
I'm roleplaying his alignment in that he won't commit any overtly evil acts (his alignment inclines more toward good than evil). A very nice 96 roll allowed for pretty much optimal stats although I might have put more points into CON for experimentation with Familiars.

Nereniel started out proficient in what I perceive as nordic weapons to fit his profile as a Skald: Hammers (for Ashideena) and Axes (for their throwing variant). However, relying almost solely on ranged attacking, his Throwing Axes soon proved too slow (1 APR) and expensive for Nereniel. Their nice STR bonus didn't weigh up against those disadvantages. The problem was remedied by investing the level 4 proficiency pip in Darts.
His first quests were the relatively safe quests between the FAI and Nashkel. On his first visit of the FAI area Nereniel didn't approach Tarnesh at the entrance (he wouldn't deal with that one before reaching lvl 6), but he did bring Samuel to Gellana and he brought Joia her ring. In Beregost Silke and Karlat were shunned but all other quests - including those added by the Mini-Quests and Encounters mod - were done. The same goes for Nashkel. Thalantyr failed with Melicamp, but nevertheless 10k XP and thus level 5 were relatively easy attained. 
Amongst the 'safe' early-game quests I tend to consider Charleston Nib / Brage on the south coast, accessible via the High Hedge and Lighhouse areas. But Nereniel traveled from the north, I think the FAI, to the (previously unlocked) Lighthouse area and was uncomfortably placed in the northern part of the map, not even close to an area exit. He had to flee from two groups of Hobgoblins, including arrows of biting pelting Elite archers.

Spoiler
He failed his save at least twice and so saw his health decline at an alarming rate, with no antidotes at hand to stop the poison. He had to use up most of his stock of healing potions to keep himself alive.

There were various confrontations that Nereniel solved by playing his battlesong while the rabbit familiar would do the killing. It led to a number of bizarre scenes, such as these:

Spoiler
Thus the Rabbit familiar with its outstanding AC turned out to be a good pick for a familiar, though I realize the Pseudo-Dragon would have been even more effective (which is another reason why I kind of regret having gone TN rather than NG, besides having no access in SoA to the in my install upgradeable Azuredge until UAI).

At 20 rep and 20 CHA thanks to Lord Forshadow's Ring and Algrnon's Cloak, Nereniel bought the Deep Red Ioun Stone for +1 DEX at teh High Hedge as well as the Robe of the Neutral Archmagi he was surprised to able to use. (No idea which mod makes those robes available to Bards.)
A critical hit by a Gnoll Slasher that badly injured Nereniel's bunny taught the Bard to be more careful with his familiar, but that didn't mean the rabbit was going to stay in Nereniel's pack for the remainder of the game. One of the animal's roles was to serve as bait for non-ranged enemies like Greywolf and for the Basilisks (thanks to its petrification immunity). Speaking of those monsters, Nereniel had some difficulty there with Mutamin, as seems to happen to me all too often. Korax failed to hold the Gnome and was subsequently killed off. It left Nereniel with three options: 
- leaving the area without killing Mutamin, one Lesser and one 7k XP yielding Greater Basilisk;
- trying to stun the wizard with darts he had picked up in the Ankheg cave using Invisibility (a spell learnt from a scroll bought at Thalantyr's);
- trying to charm Mutamin using Lord Foreshadow's Ring of Human Influence.
I believe the charm ability of the ring isn't as powerful as that of Algernon's Cloak, but it hit the Gnome anyway. (Had the attempt failed, then Nereniel would have immediately tried to get away and go invisible.) Mutamin was petrified and subsequently shattered by the Basilisks (all loot except some gold destroyed).

Spoiler
With Mutamin out of the way, the two Basilisks were easy pickings. Nereniel left the area as a lvl 7 Skald. At the Ulgoth's Beard inn he bought the Returning Frost Dart +1 (which, not surprisingly, deals +1 frost damage in addition to giving a 5% chance of slowing the target.)

His second visit to the Lighthouse area was much more pleasant than his first. Invisibility and successful trap detection/removal by the rabbit (the familiar's second role) allowed Nereniel to plunder the pirate cave.
In the Cloudpeaks Nereniel had no dealings with Sendai & Co, but he did do all other quests. His confrontation with Vax and Zal resulted in a near death experience when Nereniel managed to kill Zal just before the bandit's dart would stun him.

Spoiler
Fortunately, Nereniel had killed Vax first, and there were no other enemies in sight.

In the Nashkel Mines the number of Kobolds on the 3rd level was problematic. First of all they blocked the path toward the level exit. This problem was solved by Skulltrapping the blocked pathway.

Spoiler
But that caused a second problem: after Nereniel became visible and went invisible again, the Kobolds kept following him and trying to surround him.
Spoiler
Nevertheless a quiet spot was found where Nereniel and his familiar could rest (this was useful especially for spell memorization purposes).

Mulahey was stunned, and most of his lackeys Skulltrapped. The Skellies/Kobolds that survived the explosion were dealt with in melee combat, with difficulty.

Spoiler
Outside the Mines Narcillicus was force-attacked and slain after he had summoned his Green Slimes, and the Dagger +2 was received from Hentold. Back in Nashkel the guards killed Nimbul for Nereniel, but he dealt with Neira himself. He survived another close call there when he barely maaged to go invsible before her Hold Person would freeze him.
Spoiler
When the hold effect wore off, he looked around, saw no one nearby, and killed off Neira with a Skull Trap.

In Beregost Tranzig wasted most of his spells on Nereniel as the Skald fled between floors, but he did Blind him. The battlesong was then sung, and Rabbit released to finish off the mage.

Spoiler
Both Lamalha and Molkar and their respective gangs attacked Nereniel in Beregost (at different moments). Like the Kobolds they would follow invisible Nereniel even inside and outside buildings. Nereniel lured most of his foes one by one into the Jovial Juggler where Officer Vai and her Flaming Fist colleagues would help him out.
Spoiler
Halacan was unwilling to cooperate however; he slew Officer Vai and her colleague, leaving it up to Nereniel to finish the Gnome himself.
Spoiler
An Algernon's Cloak charm (one of only three) worked on Molkar. He was set on Morvin, and encouraged by Nereniel's song, managed to kill the Dwarf.
Spoiler
Molkar was then ordered to stand in a quiet corner of the inn, where he would receive a Skull Trap from Nereniel. He fell not much later to the Skald's darts.

Two darts of stunning helped Nereniel deal with Bassilus and obtain the Ashideena.

Spoiler
The bounty was mostly spent on potions and a few scrolls, with which Nereniel traveled to the Bandit Camp he infiltrated via Raiken. He didn't fight Tazok (because of an insta-kill risk), and went the bandit leader's tent invisible and buffed with Shield and a potion of Absorption. He released Ender Sai and emptied the chest, and could have simply gone invisible again and leave, which would have been sufficient to continue the plot. Instead, he cast Web from one of his two scrolls, threw a potion of explosions on the held group, and cast a Skull Trap to kill most of his enemies.
Spoiler
The survivors were dispatched with ranged attacks.

Nereniel is now getting ready to explore the Cloakwood forest in search of a hidden Iron Throne base, the organization behind the bandits according to Ender Sai.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

Charlestonian Knight Templar
  • Members
  • 981 posts

Like the area surrounding the Temple of the Morning, the area around High Hedge Manor was not in any real danger (especially since I learned Thalantyr was a 17th level Conjuror). The woods around the manor were swarming w/skeletons and we counted 36 skeletons destroyed. We also defeated six Gnolls & a Gnoll Veteran armed w/Halberds. There were also three Flinds armed w/Two-Handed Swords but their bite was harmless. We were attacked by six Wild Dogs which are no longer roaming the woods thereabouts.

We found a small cottage in the woods which we think might belong to Kivan, although, he never mentioned it when we travelled the road together. We checked the place out & Imoen unlocked a chest that contained an Aquamarine Gym but believing the place to belong to Kivan we let it be. Even if it isn’t Kivan’s cottage it’s someone’s & we’ve no indication they are enemies so it would not be right to take it.  Outside the cottage, which looks to have been without a tenant for quite a while, (another reason we think it might be Kivan’s since he’d indicated he move toward the FAI to await me should I need him again) we killed three Ghouls & three Giant Spiders in succession.

Key Event(s):  As we were sitting enjoying a brief respite @ the Red Sheaf as indicated below, a strangle man approached me wearing only a leather girdle over a dark, mages robe. He wore an unkempt dark beard and his hair was matted but I had the sense he was more than just a weary traveler. The man never gave his name, he only mentioned that my exploits were being monitored from afar, a place he called ‘Camelot’. I told him I’d never heard of such a place in Faerun to which he replied, “that’s because Camelot isn't in Faerun.” He was a man of few words but he encouraged me to continue my efforts on the Sword Coast & that ‘Camelot’ would call me if & when the time was right.

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 15,750 gold) Garnet Gym, Horn Coral Gym, Jade Ring

Current Disposition: Enjoying a meal, some wine & ale & a good night’s rest @ the Red Sheaf after selling the little loot we did garner. 

de475e1d8fcc4f0d22d093bba30b98.jpg
RELAXING A SPELL

Next Steps:  We found as we conducted our mission that we’d missed a location southwest of Beregost, so rather than heading to the Lighthouse nest as planned, we are going to head to the Red Canyons next.

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 20 – Heroic)

·         Gawain: Ftr/7; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of

Bluntness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Bastard Sword +1/+3****, Mace +1, (SSS**) (Greater Doppelganger)

·         Minsc: Barbarian/7 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***, Flail 1/THWS**(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)

·         Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/7 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery & Boots of the North, Longbow****,

B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider) (Ranger Ranged)

·         Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1 w/Gauntlets of Ogre Power; Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(Druid Summoning)

·         Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue)/8 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Cloak of Non-Detection & Gandolar’s Lucky Ring w/Short Bow*, Short Sword +1* Dagger +1*, Necklace of Missiles, (Sword Spider)(Thief Def)

·         Dynahier: Mage (Invoker)/6 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Sling* & Q/Staff +1*, Ring of Energy, (Tuth)(Wizard Defensive)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Blue Font: New information;

Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)

(Best kill)(Current AI)

* Name Levels are ancient, AD&D titles that used to represent each new level in a class

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts
Nereniel, TN Half-Elf Skald, 2nd and final update:
Nereniel had little difficulty reaching the Cloakwood Mines. In the Spider Area he found Chelak and Spiders' Bane, and he killed Centeol but not her spiders.
Spoiler
So he was up against Drasus and his gang. One of the Guards on the bridge was charmed in order to kill the other guard and to soak up Kysus' and Rezdan's most dangerous spells. Nereniel himself quaffed a potion of magic blocking when it became clear to him that he was in Kysus' Confusion range.
Spoiler
He then retreated in hopes of not having to deal with all his foes at the same time. Drasus with his Boots of Speed was of course the first to follow. Nereniel managed to cast invisibility on himself and proceeded to buff with potions of Defense, Speed, Power and (2x) Magic Protection. He found Drasus and Kysus paired in the NW of the map, and Rezdan and Genthore a bit further to the south. A Skull Trap and two Potions of Explosions sufficed to kill Kysus, albeit not before the mage removed Nereniel's buffs.
Spoiler
Another potion of defense helped Nereniel defeat Drasus in melee combat.
Spoiler
At that point only two potions of Magic Blocking remained to protect Nereniel against Rezdan. He quaffed one and brought the mage's health status down to badly injured, but the wizard then went invisible. Nereniel could have cast Detect Invisibility (he had 3 scrolls), but it's my experience that invisible wizards tend to walk around, limiting the chance of successful detection in such an open space. He therefore concentrated on Genthore whom he badly injured as well before Rezdan showed up again, buffed with MI and Stoneskins, just when Nereniel's magic blocking had worn off. Nereniel drank his last potion of Magic Blocking and tried to kill Rezdan as quickly as possible with his dart. However, the mage outlasted Nereniel's potion's of Magic Blocking's effect, and promptly recruited the Skald into the Iron Throne.
Spoiler
In hindsight I should have tried to detect invisible Rezdan and/or finish him off with an oil of fiery burning.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Blackraven: Sorry to hear the end of your bard. If you are not allowing fireballs from a distance for your bard, then I would think the ideal weapon against Drassus group would be the monster summoning wand, found in undead tombs near the exit of the Nashkel Mines. Alternatively, if protected with max buffs (both potion and spell) as well as greenstone amulet and fire resistance > 100%, you might be able to spam the fireball wand/necklace of missiles until the mages are dead - then would be straight forward to deal with the melees. Regarldless, Hope Tell suffers a better fate...

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Blackraven: Sorry to hear the end of your bard. If you are not allowing fireballs from a distance for your bard, then I would think the ideal weapon against Drassus group would be the monster summoning wand, found in undead tombs near the exit of the Nashkel Mines. Alternatively, if protected with max buffs (both potion and spell) as well as greenstone amulet and fire resistance > 100%, you might be able to spam the fireball wand/necklace of missiles until the mages are dead - then would be straight forward to deal with the melees. Regarldless, Hope Tell suffers a better fate...

Thanks for your sympathy and advice. The problem with wands using the Hard Times mod is that they, or at least the best ones (such as Paralyzation, Fire, Monster Summoning) come with no more than 2-3 charges if you find them, and if you sell them you have to buy them back for 15-25k gold or more. With the necklace of missiles it's the same: three charges only. This is why I focused on gear (Ioun Stone, Frost Dart, Robe of Neutral Archmagi) and potions instead. Still, should have wasted all my explosives (still had two oils of fiery burning).

I'm conisdering removing Hard Times though, or trying the same character in my BGEE setup so that he can actually afford/use wands, including that of Monster Summoning. The purpose of this playthrough was to rely on (buffed) summons..

Tell is doing remarkably well compared to all his party members, without being much better protected and without metagaming... fool's luck I guess :P Will post an upate soon.

• corey_russell likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Day 65, 24 Kythorn 1368
We've already spent days in Wood of Sharp Teeth in search of the bandit stronghold, but so far to no avail. The vast forest is replete with bandits including Black Talon Elites, but they've all preferred to fight (and die) rather than talk and help us out.

Day 69, 28 Kythorn 1368
Even in the wilderness my hide isn't safe from assassins and bounty hunters. We were waylaid by a woman who introduced herself as Lamalha, aided by three companions. They were two priestesses and two rogues. Quayle paralyzed one of the two Clerics, while I kept pelting the other (Lamalha) to interrupt her incantations. My companions took good care of the rogues, making sure we survived the encounter pretty much unscathed.

Spoiler
It's very agreeable to see the party operate as a unit.

Day 74, 16 Flamerule 1368
It's taken us longer than I care for, but we've finally discovered the bandit camp! A gradual increase in the bandits' numbers as we trekked from the Larswood through Peldvale and further north told us we were on the right track. Like the bandits we met before, the groups we encountered along the way were all more interested in robbing us than in informing us of the location of the camp. Those bandits have been dealt with, and I foresee that our visit to the camp won't be any friendlier.
[note Blackraven: In accordance with my perception of William Tell the legend, I'm roleplaying William Tell as what I called a 'brutally honest' character. Therefore lying his way into the bandits' ranks and into the camp was not an option.]

Day 77, 19 Flamerule 1368
As expected, there was no warm welcome for us at the bandit camp. I approached what seemed to be a commander, clad in full plate mail, but he didn't care who I was and what I was doing there. He shouted a warning call, and before I knew it about ten men stepped outside a large tent, and dozens of bandits appeared from all parts of the camp. I shot a couple of bandits down to give the others a scare, but there were too many of them and they weren't intimidated by me. I hurried back to my companions to warn them that battle was imminent.

Spoiler
Quayle bravely took on the first group of pursuers with a Fireball cast from his wand. It killed and injured many of them, but Quayle was made to pay for his bravery with a rain of arrows that almost killed him. [Note Blackraven: he actually died because I stupidly had Tell quaff an invisibility potion that was meant for Quayle.]
Spoiler
As had happened before, our frontliners were then overwhelmed by the opposition, especially after a Mage blinded them. Ajantis' and Jaheira's wounds were thus that they could no longer go on. I thought they had died, and I think our foes thought the same, for they focused their attention on Khalid, Imoen and me. [Note Blackraven: as the images show, Ajantis and Jaheira did indeed die. I'm roleplaying that blinded characters cannot receive any potions or items from companions who aren't immediately next to them. It meant they couldn't heal or go invisible on time. Khalid, also blinded, did have an invisibility potion and drank it when he was at 1 hitpoint.]
Spoiler
With Imoen blinded as well, she wasn´t going to be of much use with her bow, so gave her directions for getting away from the fray while I occupied the bandits as much as I could. My ankheg armor was just as permeable as that of my companions, I soon started to notice when I was their only target left. But after I quaffed a couple of protective potions (Heroism, Power), I became increasingly hard for my opponents to hit. The Boots of Avoidance and a Girdle of Piercing must have helped as well. Using an expensive set of Bolts of Biting I had purchased in Beregost, I soon found myself thinning their ranks without having to worry much about my own safety. Even their higher ups, such as the wizard, the commander in full plate, and another spokesman (Raemon) who had recognized me.
Spoiler
In the end, the entire camp had turned into a graveyard. I'm not sure how many we felled, but Officer Vai of the Flaming Fist, who had offered us 50 GP for every bandit scalp we brought, counted over a hundred.
Spoiler
Imoen and I explored the camp, while Khalid took our last healing potions to Jaheira and Ajantis. We released a lone prisoner in one of the tents who explained that the organization behind the bandit camp is called the Iron Throne, with a hidden base in the Cloakwood, and some corrspondence we found in a chest contained the same information.

We've been enjoying a few days off at the FAI to recover and to discuss our next move. None of my companions have had dealings with the Iron Throne, but Jaheira told me that the Throne is a respected mercantile consortium. Personally I'm not sure if I have much respect for such trading companies, but given their reputation I find it surprising that they would engage in banditry. We will soon see if we can find the hidden Iron Throne base in the Cloakwood, but first we'll go and do some historical sightseeing in the area of Beregost and Nashkel. There are some ruins there that are said to be worth visiting.

Day 82, 24 Flamerule 1368
Our first historical destination was the Ulcaster School, once a famed school for magicians and scholars, but nothing much is left of that. The building had crumbled, and we discovered that any valuable items had long been plundered by treasure seekers. I'm nevertheless glad that we went to take a look for we rid the place of a number of great evils. There was an undead abomination so powerful that it could command the heavens to strike whomever it wanted with lightning, and it was completely resistant to my bolts. With overwhelming melee force we managed to take the creature down.

Spoiler
Inside the school we had to deal with another undead creature, a Vampiric Wolf that summoned Ghouls and was aided by lots of Dread Wolves and Dire Wolves. It was a horrific beast and did everything to scare us off, to such an extent that Quayle wisely drew upon his gnomish God's power to instil courage in our hearts. We had no intentions of backing down: the wolf was standing next to a massive pile of not-so-old corpses, and the six of agreed to prevent the beast from making anymore victims. Although Imoen failed to disarm a trap that set off a huge fireball (and seriously injured most of us), and although Jaheira got held at one point by one the Ghouls, we prevailed.
Spoiler
We didn't fare as well at the Firewine Ruins, a remnant of an ancient Elven society that once called the Sword Coast their home. Kobolds were swarming around the ruins, and inside them. I lost track of the number we killed, but I think three dozen would be a realistic estimation.
Spoiler
When we finally believed to have cleared the place of its Kobold infestation, Imoen (who had been scouting the place) was attacked by a wizard who had many nasty spells that would hurt our entire party at the same time. With a Web, a Stinking Cloud and two Fireballs, he was close to wiping out our entire party. My injuries were mild thanks the the Helmet of Defense but I was powerless, stuck as I was in the web. We were lucky to see the wizard get knocked out by his own cloud, keeping him from doing any further harm for most of the spells' duration.
Spoiler
When the coast was clear I released two Bolts of Biting and slew the wicked man, and I used two more to finish off an Ogre Mage.
Spoiler
I later learnt that the Ogre and the wizard had been planning a raid on the nearby Halfling village of Gullykin. A treacherous Halfling had offered the evildoers a secret entrance through his wall. We tried to detain him but he escaped. The village elder, Gandolar Luckyfoot was nevertheless thankful for our help and rewarded us with 250 GP. When we left the area Khalid dueled a fighter who considered himself the best swordsman on the Sword Coast. Khalid won and earned himself a set of Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise.

We're back in Beregost, and will soon venture into the Cloakwood.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
William Tell
lvl 6 Archer, 66 HP; ****Army Scythe, *Battle Axe +1, *Daggers, **Two Weapon Fighting; 462 kills (most powerful Shoal the Nereid); Ankheg Armor / Telbar's Studded Leather +2; items of note: Greenstone Amulet, Cloak of Displacement, Bracers of Archery, Boots of Grounding.
Imoen
lvl 7 Thief, 56 HP; *Shortbows, *Whistling Sword +2, *Quarterstaff; 94 kills (most powerful Drakar); Shadow Armor; items of note: Masterbelt, Boots of Stealth, Deep Red Ioun Stone; 1 death.
Ajantis
lvl 6 Paladin, 68 HP; **Bastard Swords, **2H Sword +1, *Dead Shot Longbow, *Two-Handed Weapon Style; 131 kills (most powerful Mustard Jelly); Full Plate Mail; items of note: Helm of Infravision, Gauntlets of Dex, Girdle of Bluntness, Boots of Avoidance, Algernon's Cloak, Ring of the Princes +1; 4 deaths
Khalid
lvl 6 Fighter, 78 HP; ****Varscona +2, *Axes, *Longbows; 191 kills (most powerful Flesh Golem); Full Plate Mail; items of note: Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Large Shield +1, Ring of the Princes +1; 3 deaths.
Jaheira
lvl 5/6 Fighter/Druid, 65 HP; **Club +1, *Quarterstaves, **Sling +1; 130 kills (most powerful Revenant); Ankheg Plate Mail; items of note: Boots of the North, Gauntlets of Weapon expertise, Ring of the Princes +1, Large Shield +1; 4 deaths.
Quayle
lvl 5/4 Cleric/Illusionist; 24 HP; *Ashideena +2, *Slings, *Short & Shield Style; 22 kills (most powerful Corsone); Adventurer's Robe; items of note: Robe of the Neutral Archmagi, Ring of Holiness, Ring of Wizardry, Cloak of the Wolf, Wands of Fire/Lightning/Paralyzation; 3 deaths.

Note that I did metagame with a couple of items (Ankheg Armor in Nashkel, Ring of Wizardry, Algernon's Cloak). The reason for this was to do something about the high death rate and the expenses on raising party members. There is no metagaming in terms of handling encounters though.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Sounds like you're going well Blackraven - keep those bolts flying!

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thank you Grond0. Unfortunately, Tell's bolts have stopped flying.

Day 88, 29 Flamerule 1368
William Tell's gone. My stupid insistence on taking on a group of Shadow Druids in the Cloakwood cost him his life. I was supposed to take care of him, so I cannot but feel like a complete failure. 
We had traveled through the Cloakwood without encountering much trouble (except Spiders and Ettercaps we dispatched, and two Wyverns that ambushed us). At the Druid enclave, a few Druids recognized me and attacked us on sight, but we slew them. I then explained to my companions the vile ways of the Shadow Druids and urged them to seek out Amarande, their archdruid, with me so that we could put an end to the Shadow Druids' evil actions. In his treehouse he managed to conjure a Fire Elemental, a powerful ally, in spite of being hit repeatedly by Tell and Imoen. I'm sure Tell would have used his Bolts of Biting but he got charmed by one of Amarande's aides. An Insect Plague and a Chaos then had most of us lose control of ourselves, and Imoen suffered an even worse fate: Petrification. [Note Blackraven: in the following image you can see that three of the party were even stunned, I suppose due to a lot of Chromatic Orbs.]

Spoiler
Tell was relatively safe at that time because he had been charmed, causing our foes to leave him alone. When Ajantis, Khalid and I regained control of our bodies and minds, we retreated downstairs (where we found an injured Quayle), and outside. There, a Black Bear attacked us, and we slew it before we could heal ourselves. When we went upstairs Tell was dead....

[Note Blackraven: While I was busy getting Tell's companions into safety, I noticed a fraction too late that Tell's charm had worn off. I moved him toward the stairs and thought he was making it downstairs, when a Hold Monster hit him. The others were outside and too late to heal him. I also had no inivisibility that Quayle could cast on Tell.]

Spoiler
I've fallen back into my habit of not even no-reloading my way through BG1... :( There is a Dwarven Fighter/Thief in Amn (haven't posted about him), but that's in a BGT install I'm having problems with after removing one mod and adding another, so I'm not likely to continue that run.

I'm disappointed with Tell's unncessary death, but it was a strictly roleplayed playthrough. The party weren't going to ignore Jaheira's pleas, and led by LG Ajantis and LG William Tell they weren't going to assassinate Amarande while still neutral either. They wouldn't even use short duration buffs. Instead, they would openly confront Amarande and if battle would ensue, then so be it.
The real problem though, is that Blackraven lacks the intelligence to process and respond to multiple actions taking place at pretty much the same time, and he also lacks the patience to hit the space bar every split second during battles involving a multitude of characters. This makes him particularly mediocre at playing full parties, and it has also cost him many a solo character's life.

@CKT, I'm afraid you're on your own again... unless someone else is joining the challenge.

• Grond0 and Grimwald the Wise like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Blackraven: Sorry to hear about Tell. As you probably remember, Fire Elementals are immune to normal weapons and +1 weapons/ammo, so I would be surprised your arrows of biting would be of any help. Basically, you would need +2 weapons and ammo (very little +2 ammo, though I think the Durlag's merchant has some bullets), and there are so few of those - druids and clerics could summon some I suppose, then Spider's Bane, +2 Scimitar in Durlag's Tower, and Greywolf's +2 long sword and also +2 short sword from Torgal. I guess Martial Staff too from Ulgoths' Beard. A fire elemental is a vicious thing to summon against BG 1 player characters...

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Blackraven: Sorry to hear about Tell. As you probably remember, Fire Elementals are immune to normal weapons and +1 weapons/ammo, so I would be surprised your arrows of biting would be of any help. Basically, you would need +2 weapons and ammo (very little +2 ammo, though I think the Durlag's merchant has some bullets), and there are so few of those - druids and clerics could summon some I suppose, then Spider's Bane, +2 Scimitar in Durlag's Tower, and Greywolf's +2 long sword and also +2 short sword from Torgal. I guess Martial Staff too from Ulgoths' Beard. A fire elemental is a vicious thing to summon against BG 1 player characters...

Thanks Corey, What I was trying to say (my wording was a bit unfortunate), was that Amarande got hit repeatedly by Imoen and William Tell but nevertheless succesfully summoned the elemental, [edit:] and that he would have used his Bolts of Biting on the elemental.
I didn't know about the +1 immunity btw, thankd for making that clear.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Nereniel, TN Half-Elf Skald, 2nd and final update:
So he was up against Drasus and his gang.

That's imo one of the hardest BG1 fights with SCS. The good thing is that they can be safely ignored, but that leaves you without Boots of Speed...

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thrain - dwarf kensai (update 1)

Thorin's daddy has taken to the road to seek revenge for his son.  Surprisingly (for a dwarf several hundred years old) he knew nothing about fighting when he started his travels.  He's learnt a fair amount since then, although he still hasn't worked out why he's so poor at using missiles (he's using throwing daggers without any proficiency in them).

Apart from Shoal, he's avoided all the high value encounters (basilisks, ankhegs, sirines, battle horrors) in order for his fighting skills to develop naturally.  He's also kept his reputation down so far as it didn't seem fitting for the populace to idolize such a poor fighter.  However, now that he's ended the threat of the Bandit Camp his reputation is likely to grow quickly.

He's been hit twice by high value criticals.  Against Meilum he ran away and came back when rested to get his revenge.  When Taugosz got a critical he was already near death himself so Thrain just ran him round until his daggers finally found a weak spot.  Other than that he's not taken too much damage - his high weapon speed allows him to get in a sword thrust and retreat before most enemies can respond.

Fight of the day - Bandit Camp
After he cleared the exterior he prepared to fight by using a hill giant strength potion and a charge of the shield amulet.  He then went inside the tent aiming to use a potion of firebreath on Venkt while he was still neutral.  However, he didn't quite manage to do that before Raemon talked to him and Venkt avoided damage from the potion by using his mirrors.  With no protection against horror, Thrain had to stay close to the exit and thus only applied the firebreath damage to Britik and Raemon (killing the latter with the second dose of damage) before dodging Venkt's spell by going outside.  A couple more transitions in and out and Venkt became the last of the enemies to fall.

RecordL6_zpsb520d815.jpg

• corey_russell and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 66 - (3rd and final update)

After a poor recent run with our MP attempts we made a decent start to the new year by taking this pair through their remaining BG1 challenges this morning.

They started off at the Bandit Camp where Tuori looked to backstab while Chanter supported with plenty of sleep spells.  With the exterior clear they sneaked into the main tent where Chanter soon blinded Hakt.  Venkt saved against 6 attempts to blind him, but was less successful against stinking cloud and a skull trap and various missiles soon finished him off - the others then didn't last much longer.

The duo then moved straight through the Cloakwood to the mine.  A couple of stinking clouds were effective at pinning Drasus & co in place while some skeletons aided the assault.  After sneaking down to find Daveorn, Tuori's stealth and some skeletons soon exhausted his spells and the mage had to resort to fighting with his staff.  He made a decent attempt at that - hitting Tuori a couple of times - before he made the fatal mistake of turning his back on a disappearing shadowdancer ...

After selling junk and buying Tuori the Shadow Armour and Dagger of Venom the next stop was the City.  The tomes and Helm & Cloak of Balduran were all secured without problems, along with the ogre gauntlets.  For once, Larze was a pretty easy kill - that was largely thanks to Chanter surrounding Lothander with summons earlier and killing him for his boots of speed.

Sneaking into the Iron Throne yielded a few secrets and opened up the return to Candlekeep.  Some skeletons helped deal with the phase spiders guarding the tombs there before the duo sneaked past dopplegangers to confront Prat.  He was silenced, but it took a while to finish the others off and he recovered quickly enough to cast a lightning bolt and scorcher at Tuori - Chanter then gave him a taste of his own medicine with a wand scorcher to finish him off.

Back in Baldur's Gate Slythe was pulled out alone with a dispelling arrow and killed with the help of a couple of skeletons.  At the palace a full complement of buffed summons helped occupy the dopplegangers while Tuori fired dispelling arrows and Chanter mixed MMMs with MMs.  Liia still died, but Belt survived to point the way to find Sarevok.

Some summons from a newly purchased wand helped the pair defeat the skeleton warriors in the maze before a single skeleton persuaded Shaldrissa to cloudkill her own party in the Undercity - leaving an easy job of mopping up at the end.

In the temple Tuori fired a dispelling arrow to bring Sarevok out.  Semaj teleported out in support, but landed in the middle of a stinking cloud and some skeletons.  Although his saves appeared too good to be affected by the cloud he was taken to near death by the time the skeletons died.  Meanwhile Tuori in running Sarevok round had alerted Angelo and Tazok, but had then hidden and left them at the other end of the temple.  That appeared to leave Semaj as an easy kill, but Angelo is a wanderer and noticed that happening - with the result that Chanter and Tuori were targeted with exploding arrows.  Fortunately they had potions of invisibility and were able to disappear and heal before using some wand summons to occupy Angelo long enough to be finished off.  Another 8 or 9 charges from the wand were then used to keep Sarevok amused while he was worn down far enough to make him run.

Stats:

Chanter, cleric 7 / mage 7, 52 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 138 kills

Tuori, shadowdancer 9, 61 HPs, 128 kills, 2 deaths

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Nice! Congrats Grond0 and Gate70, best of luck in BG2.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats Grond0 and Gate70! Hope they can continue their success in Amn/ToB.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thrain - dwarf kensai (update 2)

Doing the rounds of reputation quests got that up to 20 (clearing the ankheg nest while doing that also took Thrain to level 7) and he did some shopping at Ulgoth's Beard.  He also picked up the ring of free action from Dushai there.

The necklace of missiles took him through the battle horrors at Durlag's Tower and the Greenstone Amulet allowed him to get the tome there.

Next on the list was another high value encounter in the basilisk area.  The monsters themselves were soon taken down and Kirian's group followed.

A couple of charges from the Greenstone Amulet allowed him to safely cut down the sirines - getting to level 8 in the process.  A welcome 15 from that made his HPs a bit more respectable, though still at 81 total he's still 7.5 below average.  A potion of absorption then allowed him to kill the 3 golems with only 1 hit taken in return.  He'll be cracking on with the main quest next time.

Fight of the day - Kirian's gang
Thrain approached them carefully from the west - initially leading on his own to take out the monsters on the nearby encounter spot without the risk of Korax taking damage.  Thrain then edged into view of Baerin and then briefly into and out of sight of Kirian to allow Korax to attack her while she was neutral.  She was successfully paralysed before Thrain used Bhaal horror to scare all except Baerin - who was soon chopped down.  Lindin was only tracked down as the horror expired and he killed Korax an instant before he died himself.  That left Peter - to be safe Thrain explored invisibly until he found him and then used the Greenstone Amulet for protection before closing for the kill.

• Blackraven likes this