Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

That's what I do as well - I don't usually fight Pride & pals, just get the loot (MS wand is great vs Sarevok) and get out of there. The levels below hold even greater treasures (iirc, you can find 10+ Oils of Speed - or Haste scrolls, can't remember which), massive gold ammounts, all the potions you'll ever need etc. It's a risky endeavor, not one I take on often.

I wouldn't mind going further, it's just the level with the doors you have to activate correctly and the trap that you can't disarm (crushing walls), I can't solve it without resting - but if I rest then the puzzle is bugged in my install. So I stop at the pride level instead.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ruzzel the Illusionist and his group of mages and berserker update

Through a lot of hard work and careful play, the team has defeated Davaeorn and has opened up the City of Baldur's Gate. I will probably be spending a ton of real time at Sorcerous Sundries and filling up holes in our spell books.

We did maximum buffs for Drassus for safety - we opened with webs and great malison - the start of the battle was going well. We put so much pressure on the enemy, the mages never even got targeted, and victory was achieved.

Careful play was done inside the mine, with Tank taking on the enemy mages (properly buffed of course). Tank did a good job against Heirashan and pals - fortunately Disabler did not flub the haste scroll.

We intentionally did not disarm the traps near Davaeorn, as we wanted to battle the battle horrors for their experience. This meant though that Tank took huge damage from a trap then the battle horror attacked - but we prevailed nevertheless.

A buffed up Tank took down Davaeorn without a problem. We never ran from ambush, since we wanted the experience. No one died, but we certainly got poisoned a lot - but I knew this could happen so everyone has lots of antidotes.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Alesia_BH: You'd be proud of me - after purchasing spells we were missing at Sorcerous Sundries, much more of the party has blue spells memorized. We in turn used those blue spell buffs before engaging the Ogre Mage and his pet carrion crawlers in the sewers - the party was untouched and didn't even have to cast a spell.

• Alesia_BH, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Alesia_BH: You'd be proud of me - after purchasing spells we were missing at Sorcerous Sundries, much more of the party has blue spells memorized. We in turn used those blue spell buffs before engaging the Ogre Mage and his pet carrion crawlers in the sewers - the party was untouched and didn't even have to cast a spell.

Awesome!

• corey_russell, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Welcome Golden28, and good luck with your Assassin!

Corey, very nice work there! Looking promising for the end game (and beyond).
Your run and Alesia's and Grond0's make me want to try something similar.

• Grimwald the Wise and Golden28 like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Welcome Golden28, and good luck with your Assassin!

Corey, very nice work there! Looking promising for the end game (and beyond).
Your run and Alesia's and Grond0's make me want to try something similar.

Thanks! As you could guess, it's a lot to micromanage. Trying remember which mage knows which spell, and just as important what mage doesn't know what spell. The nice thing is there are often, many ways to deal with problems (direct damage, disable, buff up first, etc.). Every now and then I get a reality check on just how vulnerable they are as well. We battled Vay-ya but she ignored Tank and did a bee-line for Ruzzel - he did mirror image but she still found his real self and hit him...if it had been a critical...the rest of party blasted her so she wasn't able to follow up on that.

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Welcome, once again, Golden28!

Btw: I don't see a Protection from Petrification portrait icon on Eren in the basilisk photos. Was he not running Protection from Petrification? Were you counting on the basilisks to target Korax? Do you have SCS's Smarter Basilisks component installed?

Best,

A.

I was running smarter basilisks so I made sure I was invisible so Korax could stun them before using Eren to target the basilisks.. Its kinda cheesy to rely on Korax, but I just cant resists the xp..

:D  :D  :D  :D

LOL. I'm sorry, but this is hilarious, espeically the Ohh...Oh part. :lol: Fwiw, I turn off the weather.

GL further, by all means.

I know right.. XD

Best of luck Golden28 - I can see there are going to be more bloated bodies littering the landscape after Eren has passed by ...

Thank you Grond0! Yes Eren will do a lot of slaying :)

Cheers!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I was running smarter basilisks so I made sure I was invisible so Korax could stun them before using Eren to target the basilisks..

Got it. Eren is revealed without Protection from Petrification in the images, but the basilisks had already been paralyzed by Korax before Eren left the shadows. Makes sense.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Every now and then I get a reality check on just how vulnerable they are as well. We battled Vay-ya but she ignored Tank and did a bee-line for Ruzzel - he did mirror image but she still found his real self and hit him...if it had been a critical...the rest of party blasted her so she wasn't able to follow up on that.

Makes sense. It's not until early/mid SoA that arcane defenses become truly formidable. In BG1, movement, positioning, and damage management remain your primary defenses.

Keep up the good work!

Best,

A.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The Arcane Army (update 4)

In the 3rd Cloakwood area Amarande was the only druid to survive a full volley of magic missiles, but a single follow-up hit was enough for him.  Peter's wyverns totally ignored being scared, but not the follow-up magic missiles.

In the 4th area the hamadryad was magic missiled down before she could cast.  In the wyvern cave a couple of invisible blocking characters allowed the others to pick the enemies off without risk.

Outside the mine Drasus and co were given no chance to buff.  Inside, Hareishan and her guards suffered a similar fate - Sage learning a haste spell as a result.  Natasha was also stuck in a web, as was an invisible ogre mage.  Downstairs, the guard was charmed to provide cover while the battle horrors were magic missiled to death.

The plan was to get Daveorn unconscious in a stinking cloud and then use skull traps and flame arrows on him.  However, his many mirrors protected him from much of that damage (I think one of them actually had dispel magic memorised, so should have tried that, though I'm not sure if it would work against scripted mirrors) so a protection from magic scroll was used to allow Nutmeg to tank him.  Davaeorn nearly killed himself with a bouncing lightning bolt then, determined not to let the Army have his XP, he finished the job with a fireball.  The 3 characters using magic quarterstaffs killed the mustard jelly with the help of haste.  Thyme successfully learnt knock and they rested once to use that to unlock the more valuable treasure before running from some ambushing guards when they tried to rest again and flooding the mine.

Arriving at Baldur's Gate they did another bulk purchase of spells.  They also executed the mages upstairs in Sorcerous Sundries, grabbing 2 scrolls of luck in the process - and failed to learn both :wacko:.

With 3 characters now knowing invisibility it becomes easy to get the drop on enemies - such as the ogre mage in the sewers.  Shortly after that Arkion and Nemphre had been magic missiled to death and offering their trinkets to Ordulinian has just taken the last of the Army up to level 7.

Stats:
Rosemary, mage 7, 31 HPs, 1 death, 229 kills
Parsley, mage 7, 40 HPs, 0 deaths, 153 kills
Thyme, mage 7, 35 HPs, 0 deaths, 138 kills
Sage (PC), mage 7, 46 HPs (incl. 12 from cat), 100 kills
Nutmeg, mage 7, 33 HPs, 0 deaths, 125 kills
Pepper, mage 7, 32 HPs, 0 deaths, 129 kills

• Blackraven and Dyara like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

:D

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts
The Greenstone Amulet and Free Action (via potion, item, or spell) will cover most of your save or else needs. Save buff items/potions/spells, specific protection spells, Potions of Magic Blocking, and Protection from Magic Scrolls are other options.

Ah yes, the greenstone amulet... the problem however is, Dyara doesn't know about it (or about Ulgoth's Beard). And even if she'd heard about Ulgoth's Beard (from reading a book for example), why should she got there? She still doesn't know about the amulet and it's a very long walk - and I try to avoid long walks, escpecially if they are for no evident reason :D.

As for Dyara, she's just a young girl who started her adventurer career not even a month ago. She might know a few things (because of Gorion's teaching, reading some books etc.) but she doesn't know everything. She has to learn and sometimes she has to learn the hard way (I just hope she doesn't has to pay those lessons with her life).

She felt pretty save when fighting those sirines. She knew the biting arrows wouldn't really hurt her (antidote, healing potions), she knew there's only a slim chance that she gets charmed - and even then, the sirines wouldn't strip her items and send her fighting some ogre berserkers, would they :D? She didn't know (and I had forgotten) about the sirine's touch attack but now she knows. Next time she mets a sirine she will act more cautiously (at least I hope so, Dyara tends to carelessness and overconfidence I'm afraid).

For me the roleplaying part is very important, perhaps as much important as for you is avoiding saving throws vs. disabling spells. When I play Dyara it's always some kind of mother-daughter relationship. Sometimes Dyara is my daughter, of course I want to protect her, guide her etc. but as it is with my real life daughter I know, she has to make her own experiences even if they hurt sometimes. Some other times Dyara is me and I as the player are my mom ;). And as it was (or is) with my parents, they cared for me, tried to protect me but they also made me make my own experiences. And I always wanted to make my own experiences.

So if Dyara doesn't make it to Amn, I will be sad a little bit but I know I've played her exactly as i wanted to play her. And she gots played exactly as she wanted to be played ;).

[edit]But nevertheless thank you for the advices :)[/edit]

• Alesia_BH, Serg BlackStrider, Blind_Visionary and 2 others like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

So if Dyara doesn't make it to Amn, I will be sad a little bit but I know I've played her exactly as i wanted to play her. And she gots played exactly as she wanted to be played ;).

I respect that.

I hope Dyara's story has a happy ending.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven and Dyara like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Makes sense. It's not until early/mid SoA that arcane defenses become truly formidable. In BG1, movement, positioning, and damage management remain your primary defenses.

Keep up the good work!

Best,

A.

If you recall that particular environment, inside the ship, there are a bunch of tables in the way, there's really no where to move. But I could have taken a moment and put Ruzzel in the back before starting combat- but I haven't done that the whole run, he has the best defensive gear of the mages, and it has served him well. He also doesn't sit in the back but the middle - in an ambush middle is safest position to be in, though was a disadvantage in that encounter.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

If you recall that particular environment, inside the ship, there are a bunch of tables in the way, there's really no where to move. But I could have taken a moment and put Ruzzel in the back before starting combat- but I haven't done that the whole run, he has the best defensive gear of the mages, and it has served him well. He also doesn't sit in the back but the middle - in an ambush middle is safest position to be in, though was a disadvantage in that encounter.

Makes sense.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0: Looks like your Arcane Army is making great progress. Your updates make it sound you rarely get problems, except odd things like Davaeorn refusing to give you his experience.

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Eren the fair, assassin level 6 FINAL UPDATE

So, I screwed up already! :(

It was a death so pointless and I was so stunned I even forgot to take screenshot. I was so pissed of at my foolishness I considered reloading but that would nullify the whole point of this thread. 

I recruited Branwen and decided to do some Siren hunting. I took Kivan for his 90% immune to charm (elf) and tried to shoot some dryads. Soon enough he got charmed proving the 90% is bullcrap, so I had to resort to going invis with my assassin and looting the cave. 

Eren the Fair died because of a critical hit for 46 damage by a flesh golem in the treasure cave (not chunked just died). I took an unnecessary risk walking past 2 of them instead of just gulping an invis potion, even though i had 2... Granted I had 40 hp and -2 AC but still, it was pretty risky. 

Im rerolling a char, but it wont be an assassin. I wont be squishy again! Ill post soon. I think its going to be a berserker/cleric with massive hp and ac, rages and a g*ddamn helmet to protect me from crits.

I decided I dont ever want to be an arcane caster because I already finished the trilogy with a sorcerer, and I dont want to do anything similar, so warrior cleric it is. His name will be Eren the... ? Youll see :)

Cheers!

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

There's no shame in dying to those flesh golems. They have slain quite a few no-reloaders over the years (including myself). Avoiding them is one option - using arrows of biting works well on them too in my experience. You can tank them, but doing that works best with high AC and potion of absorption. As an assassin though I probably would use arrows of biting.

Best of luck with your next character!

• Golden28 likes this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

I took Kivan for his 90% immune to charm (elf) and tried to shoot some dryads. Soon enough he got charmed proving the 90% is bullcrap,

I think the 90% immunity does not exist in vanilla BG1/BGEE.

Eren the Fair died because of a critical hit for 46 damage by a flesh golem in the treasure cave ...

My condolences... Dyara take 1 died the same way :D.

• Golden28 likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Condolences, Golden28.

I'm sorry to see Eren the Fair go, but I'm glad that you've embraced the spirit of the challenge. Keep at it!

Good luck with your next character!

Best,

A.

• Golden28 likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Thanks yall, such quick replies, love the livelyness of this thread :D!!!

Ill post a new guy in the next couple of hours.

Cheers!

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Eren the fair, assassin level 6 FINAL UPDATE

So, I screwed up already! :(

I took Kivan for his 90% immune to charm (elf) and tried to shoot some dryads. Soon enough he got charmed proving the 90% is bullcrap, so I had to resort to going invis with my assassin and looting the cave. 

Don't be hard on yourself - it's perfectly normal to die to a mistake. Hell, all my PCs died, one way or the other.

90% exists in EE and BGT+Fixpack, but don't count on it to save you. 10% is a big chance to take.

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Thanks Aasim ;)

Episode 1, new game:     Eren the Unbroken,   Berserker (/cleric in bg2). 

Allright, after the failure with Eren the fair I decided no more mister nice berserker. Here he is:

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2008.33.30_zps

First things first. Ditching little Imoen and heading out to make a name for myself. 
Slaying basilisks... 

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2008.47.46_zps

Recruited Branwen. The mage killing the witch in one of the tents got a mirror image off and I had to run from him. Decided to get Minsc and Edwin together (lol), Greywolf bit the dust rather fast...

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2009.31.16_zps

So... did Eren the Unbroken manage to finally rob the cave of its riches?...

Yes he did. even though rage didnt do crap for me, I actually got charmed! (i forgot to take a screenshot but was dismayed it didnt work in bg1).
No, the answer was Minsc... His rage DID work against the dryads... He slew all of them with boots of the cat and Branwens slow poison backup. Heres a screenshot of Eren killing the last fleeing dryad with a bullet.

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2009.47.29_zps

Treasure hunt succes.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2009.55.56_zps

Took Safana with me for the traps and dove into the mine, neclace of fireballs saved my ass twice while resting...:

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2010.13.03_zps

Saved right before Mulahey. Shouldnt be to difficult with rage and hold person from Branwen... Ok thats it for today see you next time.

Cheers!

• Dyara likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Yes he did. even though rage didnt do crap for me, I actually got charmed! (i forgot to take a screenshot but was dismayed it didnt work in bg1).

No, the answer was Minsc... His rage DID work against the dryads... 

Glad to see you going again Golden28.  Berserker rage does work against sirine charm, but 10 rounds isn't that long if you don't monitor closely so it's easy to let it expire in a fight.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The Arcane Army (update 5)

The Army progressed through Baldur's Gate with no problems.  Most enemies just died of shooting or magic missiles.  Slightly more complex or interesting fights included:
- Mountain Maulers.  Gretek was killed before he could talk, leaving the rest of them still neutral and helpless against a planned attack.
- Degrodel's mob were largely taken down with magic missiles and flame arrows, but the invisible stalkers were collected together around a summoned wolf and treated to a volley of skull traps.  Degrodel himself didn't get the chance to get his hands on the Cloak of Balduran.
- Lothander realised too late he really shouldn't have warned the Army about the poison (or at least not demonstrated that he was wearing Boots of Speed to them).
- Entering Drelik's room invisibly allowed a couple of summons to join in the attack on him (he failed to cast a spell and left behind an invis 10' scroll).
- Parsley had only just drawn fire from Ramazith's mustard jellies when she had to retreat.  Coming back again she once more took an immediate critical, but this time it hit a mirror and she was able to finish off the jellies without further ado.
- One floor up the Tower 5 characters went invisible to launch an attack on the ghasts - only to arrive and find that Thyme was not invisible and she was immediately held.  Rosemary tried to make her invisible, but was just too late casting the spell and she became the second victim of the run.  At the same time Parsley was hit by a critical and also held and it required a first use of the wand of monster summoning to keep her alive.
- at the Iron Throne some stinking clouds and webs preceded a few skull traps.  Alai of the casters was the only one to survive that and his confusion managed to affect Nutmeg (taking Thyme out of the conflict as well to look after him).  However, once Alai was dead the remaining fighters quickly perished.

Reporting back to Scar on some of the work done got everyone to level 8 and they celebrated by taking Duke Eltan's offer of an all-expenses paid trip to Candlekeep.

Stats:
Rosemary, mage 8, 37 HPs, 1 death, 254 kills
Parsley, mage 8, 44 HPs, 0 deaths, 185 kills
Thyme, mage 8, 41 HPs, 1 death, 154 kills
Sage (PC), mage 8, 52 HPs (incl. 12 from cat), 118 kills
Nutmeg, mage 8, 37 HPs, 0 deaths, 140 kills
Pepper, mage 8, 35 HPs, 0 deaths, 144 kills

• Aasim, Dyara and Golden28 like this