Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Glad to see you going again Golden28.  Berserker rage does work against sirine charm, but 10 rounds isn't that long if you don't monitor closely so it's easy to let it expire in a fight.

Yeah - even for my berserkers, I prefer to use the clarity potion from Candlekeep for those groups of Sirines by the entrance to the Pirate's Cave. Instead, if your berserker was level 5 you could use 1 enrage for each group, but 1 enrage certainly won't last for both groups.

• Golden28 likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Hey guys! It really didnt work, I activated rage, and 5 seconds later got charmed. I checked the feedback text and it said enraged and 7 or 8 lines of text later I was charmed... I could've missed something but pretty sure it just didnt work... :). Ohwell...

Cheers

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Hey guys! It really didnt work, I activated rage, and 5 seconds later got charmed. I checked the feedback text and it said enraged and 7 or 8 lines of text later I was charmed... I could've missed something but pretty sure it just didnt work... :). Ohwell...

Cheers

Sounds like a bug in your install - perhaps a mod broke this vanilla mechanic, maybe one of your mods has an update that will fix this.

• Golden28 likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Ah yes, the greenstone amulet... the problem however is, Dyara doesn't know about it (or about Ulgoth's Beard). And even if she'd heard about Ulgoth's Beard (from reading a book for example), why should she got there? She still doesn't know about the amulet and it's a very long walk - and I try to avoid long walks, escpecially if they are for no evident reason :D.

As for Dyara, she's just a young girl who started her adventurer career not even a month ago. She might know a few things (because of Gorion's teaching, reading some books etc.) but she doesn't know everything. She has to learn and sometimes she has to learn the hard way (I just hope she doesn't has to pay those lessons with her life).

Just wanted to say I found this a beautiful post. I hope Dyara will live long!
BTW I don't remember Dyara's stats, but with a relatively high INT/WIS/lore character, it wouldn't be weird for Dyara to know about Ulgoth's Beard (and maybe even its store). Not saying that you should take her to UB, just that you could consider it. 

Hey guys! It really didnt work, I activated rage, and 5 seconds later got charmed. I checked the feedback text and it said enraged and 7 or 8 lines of text later I was charmed... I could've missed something but pretty sure it just didnt work...  :). Ohwell...

Cheers

Hi Golden, I'm sorry about that. Have you reported this at the baldur's gate forums? People there, including Gate70 whom you can see around here as well, might be able to help you (and others who run into this).

• Dyara and Golden28 like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

BTW I don't remember Dyara's stats, but with a relatively high INT/WIS/lore character, it wouldn't be weird for Dyara to know about Ulgoth's Beard (and maybe even its store). Not saying that you should take her to UB, just that you could consider it.

I always keep in mind that the PC was brought up in Faerun's greatest library.

I think it's reasonable for a PC to know of Ulgoth's Beard.

At the same time, we all have to decide what level of knowledge -or foreknowledge- is suitable for our characters.

I think we all find that we enjoy the game most when we are true to ourselves and our characters.

Best,

A.

• Blackraven and Dyara like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I always keep in mind that the PC was brought up in Faerun's greatest library.

I think it's reasonable for a PC to know of Ulgoth's Beard.

At the same time, we all have to decide what level of knowledge -or foreknowledge- is suitable for our characters.

I think we all find that we enjoy the game most when we are true to ourselves and our characters.

Best,

A.

I agree - at the same time like Dyara's point - her PC might know of Ulgoth's Beard, but she had no knowledge the greenstone amulet was there - no character or commoner tells you about that item - and I doubt store inventories are kept at Candlekeep (they would always be out of the date even if they did, traveling by horse and all). So a pure RP'd run, like that one I did a while, ago, might never go there.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I agree - at the same time like Dyara's point - her PC might know of Ulgoth's Beard, but she had no knowledge the greenstone amulet was there - no character or commoner tells you about that item - and I doubt store inventories are kept at Candlekeep (they would always be out of the date even if they did, traveling by horse and all). So a pure RP'd run, like that one I did a while, ago, might never go there.

Makes sense. You could play it either way.

What matters is what works for the player.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ruzzel the illusionist and his band of mages and berserker - City of Baldur's Gate adventures

The party is still level 8. However we've made great progress to our goal - we are only 60,000 total experience to level 9 mage. I'm hoping not to Wolfwere Isle (I've never done it no-reload), guess we'll see.

We took down the mages at the top floor of Sorcerous Sundries with a bunch of skull traps - that worked but some skull traps were left, so Tank had to set him off - yeah he has a tough job sometimes.

Next target are the thieves in the house in the SE district - they were beat quick. They have a spene gem, so talked to the Seer at the Blade and Stars.

After that, Vay-ya and her friend Deserta were next. I thought it would be simple - Tank pulls Vay-ya then we unload magic missiles right, how can it go wrong? Well it did - we weren't buffed and Vay-ya guns for Ruzzel! Uh, oh - Ruzzel does mirror image and the rest of the party sends a massive volley of magic missiles at Vay-ya. She survives though and even gets a hit on Ruzzel through his images, but she doesn't survive another round. Tank then enrages and easily finishes off Deserta. Phew.

I won't be able to do this in BG 2, but it might be a long time until we get another chance to dot his, so all party members have a monster summoning wand. We summoned an army vs. the thieves in the SW district. Did this win the day? Despite everyone attacking the mage, she got a spell off - horror. However, the only buff we had running? Resist fear. Sorry lady that isn't going to work.

I forget the mage's name (the one in the SW district), the one with the ring of wizardry, but Tank defeated that mage. What's funny is we used a number of high values potions to protect him and he attacked - only for his firebreath potion to kill the mage without the mage getting a single spell off. Oh well, better safe than sorry as they say.

The 5 ogre mages in the red house in the SS district is always fun - we opened with 2 fireballs and 3 skull traps - the ogre mages did not survive or even get a spell off.

Baldr374_zpsoyvgp388.png

It was time to engage Degrodel's minions - we had massive summons, but we weren't going to leave anything to chance and did maximum buffs as well. The mages did well and didn't take much damage, except Blaster, who is one of the few mages who don't know mirror image (she flubbed it when she attempted to scribe it), so she got hurt bad and had to leave the premises. The other mages and summons got the job done, however.

We returned Nestor's dagger - not that it helps our reputation, it's been at 20 for a bit now. Then we prepped to engage the Mountain Maulers. We had an army again, so we didn't buff except resist fear on the mages. The enemy didn't do too bad, getting off hold persons and horror - it did not save them though.

We also battled in the NN part of the City. For Razamith himself, direct attack won in a round. The jellies and ghasts were soloed by Tank. The party tried to assist with the next two levels but foolishly didn't buff before hand and many of the mages took a lot of damage, and Blaster barely survived. But we pulled though. Since Ruzzel gets penalty of learning spells not in his spell school, I gave the INT tome to him - helps his lore anyways and he has the best lore.

In the same party of the City, we also battled Jardak and his butler - max buffs here of course, and with the magic resistance of both enemies, our damage spells were rather useless. We were hasted, however, and that did in fact defeat both of these enemies. Ruzzel decided Tank will use the Helm of Glory rather than Balduran, as that now puts Tank's natural CHA at 20, not that we are hurting for gold (about 50,000). 

• Alesia_BH, Aasim and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Nice army! I can't do that in BG1 or BG2. I think you have Haste no? Really nice spell for your summons if you cak keep them within the AoE.
I'm impressed with your party's XP. You've been very thorough in a short time.

Ice Island can be tricky if you haven't been there in a long time. But 5 lvl 8 Mages, a Berserker and loads of summons should be able to tackle that place. Mind the traps if you go there btw.

• corey_russell likes this

Dyara

Dyara
  • Members
  • 330 posts

Just wanted to say I found this a beautiful post. I hope Dyara will live long!

Actually knowing (perhaps reading about it in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast) about Ulgoth's Beard is the best reason to NOT go there :D ...

Ulgoth's Beard description at Forgotten Realms Wiki ... no inn, no shop, no road to go there... it's in the back of beyond.

• Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Actually knowing (perhaps reading about it in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast) about Ulgoth's Beard is the best reason to NOT go there :D ...

Ulgoth's Beard description at Forgotten Realms Wiki ... no inn, no shop, no road to go there... it's in the back of beyond.

Wow insightful. My next charname will have to decide to head north to hide from the bounty hunters hehe. (No more "Hey, let's go to UB to see if there are interesting quest givers or shops there.")

• Dyara likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Nice army! I can't do that in BG1 or BG2. I think you have Haste no? Really nice spell for your summons if you cak keep them within the AoE.
I'm impressed with your party's XP. You've been very thorough in a short time.

Ice Island can be tricky if you haven't been there in a long time. But 5 lvl 8 Mages, a Berserker and loads of summons should be able to tackle that place. Mind the traps if you go there btw.

Yes we have haste (Heirashan drops it). We have again, done anything everything. If you notice the stats, we have MANY more kills than Grond0's group, almost certainly because we have been in more ambushes, as well as dealing with many respawns (our many selling trips to High Hedge for example, the skeletons always respawn).

You must have missed an update - I have said already that we went to ice isle, the berserker used pro magic scroll plus cold resistance boots.

EDIT: Ah I think I see what you meant by nice army - like you, I cannot summon more than 5 summons - however, the wand of monster summoning doesn't appear to have to follow that rule in EasyTutu - I think that's true in vanilla BG 2, the summoning limit was directly by players' party's spells, not by any other mechanism (like simulcrum). But in BG 2 you would have to sell//buy back to do that there, as by default it only has one charge.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Corey, ah yes... I see now that I misremembered an earlier comment of yours. You said you were considering doing Wolfwere Island (not Ice Island). Have you gone their in the end? I think that giving your Berserker the Violet potion or Storm Giant Strength plus maxed DEX through Mind Focusing plus boots and oils of Speed should enable him to solo Karoug and co. Your Thief/Mage (also properly buffed, and enabled to go invisible when needed) might be able to add in a couple of backstabs.

Interesting that your Wands allowe you to summon more than five creatures (that's indeed what I meant with  'nice army'). In my BGT install such a thing is not possible.

• corey_russell likes this

Matuse73

Matuse73
  • Members
  • 42 posts

The party is still level 8. However we've made great progress to our goal - we are only 60,000 total experience to level 9 mage. I'm hoping not to Wolfwere Isle (I've never done it no-reload), guess we'll see.

I wouldn't worry about this at all. You get 10k just from solving Marek's poison quest, and another 12k from the greater basilisks in the docks and Candlekeep Catacombs. That's a quarter of the way there, without even factoring in all the other fights and quest rewards possible.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Matuse73: I think you are right, we should make level 9 easily, even without Wolfwere Isle, as now the party only need 24,000 experience to make it and we haven't even got the experience for the poison quest yet.

Ruzzel the Ilusionist, his band of mages and berserker - City of Baldur's Gate adventures, Part II

So the party makes more progress. We found a mage holding a nymph - he attacked us on sight. I checked our mages offensive spells - hmm, only skull trap? Inadvisable with the mage's close range, not to mention it would kill the nymph. Thus Blaster switched to her darts of wounding and it was straight attack by the party - that worked, whew. Need to rest soon. Reporting to the nymph got us another 2000 experience...yes we just might make it.

While we were in the area, Stealer stole a telescope from the Hall of Wonders. Stealer picked the lock, took it, then went invisible via spell then ran away. We also got a quest to obtain the body of a dead son of a Tymora Priest. It cost us 2000 gold, but it was worth it for the upgraded shield for Tank as well as the 5500 experience...

I wasn't positive on whether we had reported to the fisherman about the dead witch of Umberlee, so we headed to the Ankheg Farm - two Ankhegs targeted Ruzzel - we killed them - another 1950 experience, good, good. Turns out we had done so, so was a dead end.

So we return the telescope to the gnome who wanted us, and more gobs of experience. Yes, no Wolfwere Isle! In fact, at this rate, I might not even need to do the Thieve's Maze fights either. Or Undercity - that would work for me.

• Golden28 likes this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts
Episode 2, EREN THE UNBROKEN, Berserker(/cleric, bg2)

Hey ya'll!. We ended our last episode right before Mulahey. Were still pretty vulnerable, but as I predicted, hold from branwen did the trick, Eren tanked the rest...
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2010.18.21_zps

I dumped Minsc, Safana and Xan at Nashkel so Eren, Edwin and Branwen, who I plan to use till the end, get all the XP. We killed Nimbul with some trouble, and did some minor quests:

Poor Tarnesh, although the f*cker did manage mirrorimage and horror. LOL at his dialogue before we smashed him... yeah lets skip the smalltalk and get right to the killin' ;)
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2010.43.30_zps

Took 5 minutes to stone this guy to death, while the bard was so good to identify all our stuff..
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2010.52.14_zps

Then an unexpected thing happened, Edwin left... He was mad I didnt kill Dynaheir yet. Couldnt do anything to prevent him from leaving. But he took half of our stuff with him! So I had to kill him... Didnt like him anyway, arrogant sod.

Decided to take Minsc and Dynaheir, although no haste anymore :(.....

Was curious about Dorn, never played him, so took him with me. He has some dialogue.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2012.30.35_zps

Slaying Ankhegs.. things are looking good!
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2012.28.07_zps

Decided I could take on the bandit camp. Never actually just walked in there, always got in by joining... hmm... so yeahh...

Dynaheir, USE SPIRIT BOMB!!!

Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2012.57.54_zps

Mustve killed 40 bandits... It wasnt easy.
Schermafdruk%202015-03-16%2013.07.03_zps

Next is the dreaded cloakwood! :)

Cheers!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Golden28: AFAIR, You only get 10 game days to do Edwin's quest. Considering it can take a number of days just to get to the Gnoll Fortress, that isn't really a lot of time. If you want him to stay, it's a good idea to get his quest out of the way immediately. 

• Blackraven and Golden28 like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The Arcane Army (update 6)

In Candlekeep, for once I found it worthwhile to browse the library shelves looking for scrolls.  The Army also proclaimed their innocence of murder, though it appeared some security cameras had caught them in the act ...

In the catacombs the traps were dealt with using MGoI and MI - allowing the tombs to be robbed.  Sage took the wisdom tome to get up to the 18 the others already have, while Thyme became a yet super-stronger mage.  There was one amusing sequence when Sage attempted to finish off a phase spider with a magic missile, only for it to teleport to the rest of the Army.  The MMs changed direction and followed it, but before it could catch up the spider teleported back to Sage.  This time though it was too slow to disappear again and the MMs gleefully rushed in to fulfil their destiny.

After killing various undead and dopplegangers they unleashed a salvo of skull traps at Prat's gang.  He survived the initial assault, but some follow-up magic missiles prevented any casting.  A few more spells were learned there, though not unfortunately a second copy of invis 10'.  The resident spiders were exterminated, but more kept appearing when the Army tried to rest, so Thyme ended up using a green scroll to deal with the basilisks before the group emerged into fresh air again.

Back in Baldur's Gate they sought out Cythandria and rescued Duke Eltan.  Then they took a side trip to High Hedge to buy the good and neutral archmagi robes (could have done that long ago as they've had more money than they could use for ages).  Then they returned to the City to pull Slythe away from his companion and kill him.  Krystin was confused by a chaos scroll and shot up, before a couple of magic missiles finished her off when she came to her senses.  She finally provided a second +1 sling for the Army, along with a few more scrolls

At the palace the Army all buffed up before trying their hand at locking up Duke Belt while the combat took place.  I've tried that a few times before with a single caster without success, but this time there was to be no escape!  After that there were multiple ways that the dopplegangers could be killed - in this case a malison, slow and horror were topped up with a few magic missiles and weapon attacks to clear the dopplegangers.  I wouldn't have been too surprised if Belt had been annoyed by being saved in that way, but he seemed quite happy and sent the Army off into the maze.

Some of their own summons helped with the skeleton warriors, while the other inhabitants were no trouble and MGoI allowed free passage through the traps.  The Undercity party received a skull trap surprise, but the area effect wasn't quite large enough and Shaldrissa and Wudei survived.  However, a quick retreat, invis 10' and some magic missiles soon sorted that out.  More of those then accounted for Tamoko.

In the temple I was tempted to play fair, but eventually decided - nah.  Sarevok was pulled out alone and did well to survive 3 full volleys of magic missiles along with a few other spells plus shots and attacks by summons.  However, as he finished off the last of the summons and turned on the Army they disappeared.  Sarevok was already down to his last few HPs and in no condition to fend off a volley of skull traps.  For a moment it looked like he might have a lifeline when Nutmeg apparently talked to a bat while moving into position.  However, the others interposed themselves while he used the ring of invisibility and this time there was no mistake.

Although Sarevok is dead the Army are still quite a long way off level 9 - never mind the XP cap.  Therefore they won't be reporting back to Duke Belt just yet.

Stats:
Rosemary, mage 8, 37 HPs, 1 death, 270 kills
Parsley, mage 8, 44 HPs, 0 deaths, 204 kills
Thyme, mage 8, 41 HPs, 1 death, 179 kills
Sage (PC), mage 8, 52 HPs (incl. 12 from cat), 128 kills
Nutmeg, mage 8, 37 HPs, 0 deaths, 150 kills
Pepper, mage 8, 35 HPs, 0 deaths, 158 kills

• Alesia_BH, Serg BlackStrider, Aasim and 3 others like this

Golden28

Golden28
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Thanks Corey, yeah I know.. too late now ;)

I found this awesome Dorn Portrait... Using it from now on:

xxus_zpscqumx30a.jpg

Cheers!

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

There was one amusing sequence when Sage attempted to finish off a phase spider with a magic missile, only for it to teleport to the rest of the Army.  The MMs changed direction and followed it, but before it could catch up the spider teleported back to Sage.  This time though it was too slow to disappear again and the MMs gleefully rushed in to fulfil their destiny.

:D

I once accidentally fired a Detonation arrow at a Phase Spider there as he teleported. That was like a homing nuke. :ph34r:

• Alesia_BH and Serg BlackStrider like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 had a Wrecking Crew that had all had arrows of detonation equipped - but he forgot about it. And they were just about to exit the Thieve's Maze there was an enemy so they fired, and the arrows killed Boss. I'm sure Grond0 didn't like it at the time, but it is amusing to basically take down yourself. I have a number of runs where my PC is a thief, so naturally I make Imoen dual to mage those runs - only for Imoen's AoE to kill my thief.

• Aasim likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Congrats on taking down Sarevok Grond0! But of luck with your experience grind.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Congrats Grond0! Safe travels before you're off to Amn.
Nice to see that magic worked for you in the Ducal Palace. I usually rely on physical attacks.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ruzzel the Illusionist and his band of mages and berserker - Baldur''s Gate Part III

The party is very, very close to level 9. So using a tactic out of Grond0's playbook, we surrounded and killed Lothander - only to find no haste boots! Apparently the haste boots are a perk of BGT.  The 4000 experience was still welcome though.

Then we headed to the Blushing Mermaid - now way we are backing down from Larze! We tried 4x to blind, but I don't think it worked - so we had to beat him with direct damage after all. Tank took a massive beating but survived.

Next up Marek - got some wonderful news after talking to him - Ruzzel, Disabler, and Blaster are now all level 9 mages! Exploder has died a few times this run so she is behind everyone else in experience. We had tank solo Marek, which he did easily.

Next we did the two task for the thieves (one by Splurging Sturgeon and also Blade and Stars) - no problem here. Then using invisibilities, Stealer got the parts for the Halruun Ship. We reported our success to the guildmaster of the thieve's guild - ah excellent, exploder is now level 9 as well.

Time for the Iron Throne, 5th floor. Sure I could have been "safe" and use a pro magic scroll on Tank and let him solo - but NO WAY I'm playing timid with 4 level 9 mages. We buff then go up - we start out a ton of AoE spells, web, chaos, greater malison, skull traps, fireballs, emotion, cloudkills - it was far too much for them to handle. The enemies did slay Exploder, but their end was certain - was fun!

Baldr382_zps86dxzu6g.png

We went to our "bank" in Beregost, and are just about to report to Duke Eltan to be sent to Candlekeep.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Good times Corey. You're doing very well in a playthrough that was (initially) not really within your comfort zone I think:
Is there a reason that Exploder has died a couple of times?