Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Vaclavc

Vaclavc
  • Members
  • 179 posts
@Alesia: fantastic run! I am sorry it ended so sadly.

V

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
@Everyone- Thanks for your comments and condolences. I appreciate it. And if Ashoka were alive, I'm sure she'd appreciate it as well. :)

@Wierdo- That's a tough fight. I forgot how tricky it can be simply because Alesia dominated those two in her run and it had been ~5 years since I had done it prior. As a reminder, here was Alesia's recent encounter with Abazigal.

Alesia_BH wrote...

Tamah spawned in next to Abazgial. Alesia led her to the Time Traps, hit her with Carsomyr, and then went to work with Blackrazor (Kundane offhand) under Improved Haste. She probably could have skipped the Time Stop scroll and just used Time Traps. Oh well...
Posted Image

Once Tamah was down, it was time to Endless Maze Abazigal. He never got a chance to touch Alesia. He was Mazed, trapped, and then re-Mazed untill he died.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here he is after the second set.
Posted Image

I feel a little bad for Abazigal in this picture: his son is dead, his girlfriend is on the deck, and he is totally helpless. Poor Wyrm...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fin!
Posted Image

The thing about playing Alesia is that I often don't get a chance to see what enemies are capable of. She can be a devestating "hunter" but she is terrible for gathering intelligence on foes. Ashoka would have been far better off if Alesia hadn't been quite so effective in that encounter. There are a number of things I would have liked to have had in mind heading into that fight.

If you'd like a little recon courtesy of Ashoka, PM me. Your crew has what it takes to get the job done. I'd love to see it happen. 

Best,

A.

@ Virumor- I will likely return to Alora at some point (I kind of see her as an honorary member of my character group). I'm pretty excited about my Paladin run now though. I've never done a Palidan before and I'm definitely getting a feel for her as a character from an RP standpoint. I expect that one to be a lot of fun. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 03 November 2011 - 11:39 AM.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts
I know that there is a small spot in the cave (maybe more than one) where the dragons can't actually reach you with their melee attacks, not much use for a party but it might save a solo character. Two improved hasted dragons (who cast breach...) are certainly a problem for a warrior class.

I never realized before looking at these screenshots how 'human' a dragon's hands look, strange.

Edited by polytope, 03 November 2011 - 12:24 PM.

BBMorti

BBMorti
  • Members
  • 142 posts
I was so impressed by Alesia back on the old forums, Alesia_BH, you opened a lot of eyes back then, I remember, about the bounty hunter class.
I am sorry to see Ashoka biting the dust, she did well though.. it is a brutal fight for a solo player that, as you, prevents various types of "abuse" for RP reasons and such while trying to match difficulty increasing mods to boot :)
Inspirational! I think I might sign up for a run to dust off old rust.. hmm Cleric/Mage perhaps! :happy:

Edited by BBMorti, 03 November 2011 - 02:56 PM.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
So, I was attempting to do this very thing with screenshots and all, having just beat ToB for the first time. I grew up with BG1 as my first computer game ever, and even though it's hard as nails - it's my favorite game of all time. Now, at the age of 24 I'm obsessed with the games yet again.

Our journey began so well, and after getting to the copper coronet, Arishkan the human, lawful evil and oh so mad Sorcerer, alongside his companion Yarath the brave, yet short and lawful evil Fighter/Thief, met their end in the first backroom. Having slain the first guard easily, the Mad Sorcerer met his end at a hold spell, cast by one of the two wizards. Yarath tried as best he could to save his friend and companion, but it was too late. The guards slew him where he stood, frozen and very very angry.

I really enjoyed trying this though, so I'll be sure to make a brand new character and a companion for him, probably with the same names and alignment, seeing as I really enjoyed this. If I make it past the coronet, I will be sure to let you lads know. I'm guessing I need to be much more careful in my journey, and perhaps not let a mad sorcerer be the bait for enemy arrows and spells. ;)

Well then, Arishkan has been reborn as Aximand, a Lawful Evil Fighter that I shall dual-class to Mage when I feel like it, perhaps at level 9 or so. His companion is the ever vigilant Yarath, a human Bounty Hunter I will dual-class to fighter at level 16 if things go well, and I can make it past the Copper Coronet. :P

And without further adeu, here they are!

Aximand
Posted Image

And his companion: Yarath!
Posted Image

I have given Aximand a Bag of Holding, as was allowed, and I am playing with ToB installed, with the extra merchants and the latest patch. Other modifications I have installed is the Dungeon be gone, as I am quite tired of doing that dungeon on auto-pilot. ^^ 

Other than that, I am playing with core rules.

Edited by Easymask, 03 November 2011 - 10:30 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Easymask wrote...

So, I was attempting to do this very thing with screenshots and all, having just beat ToB for the first time. I grew up with BG1 as my first computer game ever, and even though it's hard as nails - it's my favorite game of all time. Now, at the age of 24 I'm obsessed with the games yet again.

Our journey began so well, and after getting to the copper coronet, Arishkan the human, lawful evil and oh so mad Sorcerer, alongside his companion Yarath the brave, yet short and lawful evil Fighter/Thief, met their end in the first backroom. Having slain the first guard easily, the Mad Sorcerer met his end at a hold spell, cast by one of the two wizards. Yarath tried as best he could to save his friend and companion, but it was too late. The guards slew him where he stood, frozen and very very angry.

I really enjoyed trying this though, so I'll be sure to make a brand new character and a companion for him, probably with the same names and alignment, seeing as I really enjoyed this. If I make it past the coronet, I will be sure to let you lads know. I'm guessing I need to be much more careful in my journey, and perhaps not let a mad sorcerer be the bait for enemy arrows and spells. ;)

You CAN be the bait for enemy spells and arrows, just as long as you are properly protected. A mage with Minor Globe of Invunerability active, for example could care less about any hold persons sent their way. Also, a mage with protection from normal missiles could care less about non-magical arrows (such as those in the Copper Coronet), etc Nevertheless, having said that, if you have a fighter type in your group, it's usually in your favor to have them be bait instead of you.

Different Topic: For those of you who remember my conversation about MGoI and the mephit stun attack in Irenicus Dungeon when trying to get to the Genie, in my last run though Uriah had MGoI up and he DID get stunned (though briefly) -- perhaps this stun attack doesn't count as a spell and is an ability, but not sure. Just thought I'd mention this in case someone thought my idea was sure thing when they next got to that point..

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

polytope wrote...

I know that there is a small spot in the cave (maybe more than one) where the dragons can't actually reach you with their melee attacks, not much use for a party but it might save a solo character. Two improved hasted dragons (who cast breach...) are certainly a problem for a warrior class.

Thanks for the suggestion Polyope!

I'm aware. I've nicknamed it "Aliana's Hidey-Hole" in honor of my Avenger Druid who has had to take refuge there in the past. :P

I was hoping to avoid using that since it has a very low fun/coolness factor. In the replay she was forced to use it and I wasn't at all happy. That's what I meant when I said that she had found a safe method but I wasn't pleased with it.

The compromise that I reached was to let her go there but only [i]while in rat form[i/]. So, she can go there to take shelter and buff once a battle, but she can't really attack from there. I'm semi-content with that.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

BBMorti wrote...
Inspirational! I think I might sign up for a run to dust off old rust.. hmm Cleric/Mage perhaps! :happy:

It's good to see you again! Best of luck if you do get back in the action.

Cheers,

A.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Different Topic: For those of you who remember my conversation about MGoI and the mephit stun attack in Irenicus Dungeon when trying to get to the Genie, in my last run though Uriah had MGoI up and he DID get stunned (though briefly) -- perhaps this stun attack doesn't count as a spell and is an ability, but not sure. Just thought I'd mention this in case someone thought my idea was sure thing when they next got to that point..

How could I forget it - it haunts my dreamsPosted Image.  There are actually 2 varieties of mephits with stunning ability.  The steam mephits are the dangerous ones as the stun lasts a while - so by the time the first stun has worn off you've probably been stunned several more times and will shortly be dead.  There's also a salt attack, which is much shorter lasting - sounds as though this was the culprit here and maybe that one is coded as non-magic and the other magic.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts

corey_russell wrote...

You CAN be the bait for enemy spells and arrows, just as long as you are properly protected. A mage with Minor Globe of Invunerability active, for example could care less about any hold persons sent their way. Also, a mage with protection from normal missiles could care less about non-magical arrows (such as those in the Copper Coronet), etc Nevertheless, having said that, if you have a fighter type in your group, it's usually in your favor to have them be bait instead of you.

Indeed, I was just careless. I had cast Stoneskin, Mirror Images and Protection against Normal Arrows on Arishkan before we went in, and the two slew the first mage quite easily as well as the slaver alongside him. It was when Arishkan went to cast horror on the other mage and slaver that he was hit with the hold spell, and I had really not anticipated that spell at all at that point. 

Oh well, Arishkan the mad Sorceror is dead and gone now though, let's see how Aximand does it on his journey! :) (and thank you for the tips no less!)

And thank you lady luck, and other deities, for Aximand and Yarath managed to liberate Hendak(for the discount of course!). Having heard the tale of Ariskhan the mad, Aximand had learned how he fell to the vicious magics of the Copper Coronet guards. Luckily enough, Aximand was much smarter than said evildoer, and used guile(and a ring he picked up from the circus moments before), to turn the mages against eachother!

Posted Image

He then demanded the mage to cast Protection from Normal Missiles upon the evil Warrior(before unleashing the mage on the other guards of course), which lead to the demise of the Beast Master, as his arrows where rendered useless.

Posted Image

Having recieved a magnificent bow from said Beastmaster, the duo decided to continue working against the slavers - and headed onwards to the sewers. T'was there Yarath met his demise...

Posted Image

Oh sweet irony, how you tease me so! Aximand almost met the very same fate as Arishkan had met, not long before! Thank the makers though, for the Horror spell bought Aximand enough time to break out from this vile hold shortly after Yarath had fallen. Picking up Yarath's equipment before managing to slay the remaining Hobgoblins, he headed off to the temple to have his comrade revived. Now the duo are pondering what their next move will be, seeing as a group of Hobgobblers prove quite the challenge. Perhaps they will venture down a second time, into this sewer of stinking evil! We shall see.

Edited by Easymask, 03 November 2011 - 10:31 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Good Luck Easymask!

And I really like your duo: fun, stylish and capable.

Good hunting!

A.

Btw. I've finished sprucing up my install. It now includes Improved Fiends along with all the other Improved monsters. The Improved Shade Lord and Torgal have been added as well. I'll post a full Weidu log when I start a new run.

As for what is next, I'm still undecided. The Paladin run is definitely upcoming but I'm also considering firing up my Jester, Alisa. I've actually never finished the game with Alisa. I built her simply to see how much chaos a Level 1 Bard with the Jester song, the BG1 version of Algernon's Cloak, and a few Potions of Mater Thievery could cause in Amn (the answer is quite a lot...) but I've never completed the adventure with her. Now may be the time.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 03 November 2011 - 11:31 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

How could I forget it - it haunts my dreamsPosted Image.  There are actually 2 varieties of mephits with stunning ability.  The steam mephits are the dangerous ones as the stun lasts a while - so by the time the first stun has worn off you've probably been stunned several more times and will shortly be dead.  There's also a salt attack, which is much shorter lasting - sounds as though this was the culprit here and maybe that one is coded as non-magic and the other magic.

I think you are right - because when Uriah moved up by himself, all the mephits attacked him but he did NOT get stunned then, and later when he ran back to the party he got stunned but it was very short duration. So guess the MGoI just protects against the long duration one (which is still quite helpful)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Btw. I just thought of something else that I'm feeling pretty compelled to do now: giving my other Ranger, Alia, a chance to avenge Ashoka's death by taking Abazigal down using the intelligence she has gathered.

Alia is a semi-recent BG1 No Reloader and I had been planning to pick up her game at some point. The timing couldn't be better.

Here's Alia's character record (Note her Racial Enemy).
Posted Image

And yes. That Yaga-Shura Mage who Melfed Black Bear will suffer death by squirrel. :P

Edited by Alesia_BH, 04 November 2011 - 12:28 AM.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
That's one great looking character Alesia! I'm quite new here, so I haven't read everything there is to be found of your previous character, but it does seem quite interesting indeed! I guess you have been doing this for some time.

Well then, Aximand and Yarath sure did find some resistance after the copper coronet. They did manage to cleare the sewers, as well as assist Korgan somewhat on his quest(If running away after seeing a horde of Undead manifest in front of your eyes count). Other than that, the group fought a few battles against Muggers, and a few random encounters. All wich worked out quite well, especially with the bow Aximand was carrying at the time. Once he reached level 9 though, all hell broke lose. With the scrolls he had managed to find thus far, he gained no less than 5 levels, and ended up as a level 6 Mage. The only problem now though, was that my group would have to rely on a Thief with AC 3 as the main tank of the group. Well, that led to a few unfortunate incidents...

After heading off to assist Korgan, the group proceeded to flee and abandon Korgan for now. Perhaps later they will aid him in his quest, but certainly not at this point. They decided that they would move onwards, and investigate the murders in the Bridge Districts. All went well in the first trapped room, but unfortunatley two deaths proceeded to occur as the murderer fled. Those where the deaths of Yarath and Aximands familiar, resulting in the loss of both a comrade, and a point of constitution.

Posted Image

Aximand decided to flee, seeing as the enemy mage had fallen but two monsters and a hasted thief remained. Weak at this stage, and low of level and now constitution - he went out to ressurect his companion at the church.

Renewed and rested, the two companions now decided to venture down again, and slay the remaining murderers - but lady luck was not smiling to the two this day. Oh no, instead the two companions managed to enter the wrong house, resulting in this rather unfortunate accident.

Posted Image

Without a scroll of Stone to Flesh, Aximand scoured the city for one. He searched every single shop he could find, but alas - none where for sale. Aximand was now alone as a level 7 Mage, with hardly a spell to cast nor a coin to spend. He did what small quests there was, assisting the mage Xzar and nearly dying to his two apprentices - but was victorius thanks to the one charge on his Wand of Cloudkill and a trusty old Staff+1.

Posted Image

Further he did what he could to assist the Thieves Guild, as well as bring a teddy to the child of a ghost, and hope back anew to a paladin that had lost his son.

After being fooled by the Harpers, and having cheated death by fleeing or standing his ground against impossible odds, Aximand finally reached level 10 - and could now benefit not only from his Magic, but also his strength of arms. Unfortunatley, the person carrying most of the items he had worn as a Fighter - where now to be found out of reach, trapped in stone...

Posted Image

What do the gods have in store next for poor Aximand, the mad... (He sure would like a Stone to Flesh scroll!)

Edited by Easymask, 04 November 2011 - 01:34 AM.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Easymask wrote...

What do the gods have in store next for poor Aximand, the mad... (He sure would like a Stone to Flesh scroll!)

First floor of De'Arnise keep, in the furthest room to the North, there's a ring which casts stone to flesh.

You might need to recruit Nalia/Yoshimo to detect the secret door.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Easymask wrote...

Without a scroll of Stone to Flesh, Aximand scoured the city for one. He searched every single shop he could find, but alas - none where for sale. Aximand was now alone as a level 7 Mage, with hardly a spell to cast nor a coin to spend. He did what small quests there was, assisting the mage Xzar and nearly dying to his two apprentices - but was victorius thanks to the one charge on his Wand of Cloudkill and a trusty old Staff+1.

You're looking for the wrong thingPosted Image.  A mage stone to flesh scroll is rare and only useable by a few characters, but there are also generic green scrolls useable by anyone (at least anyone with a spot of intelligence).  Try looking in temples.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Ok. I've finalized my decision. Enter Alia- seeking a little payback on behalf of Ashoka.
Posted Image

Character Background: Alia is a Trilogy Candidate. She completed BG1 a few months ago and has been in suspended animation ever since. Some of you may recognize her she: has played her part in a couple No Reload runs over the years. In my first successful Trilogy No Reload (Tactics/Questpack/Ascension), Alia escorted my Sorceress, Alanis, through BG1 and BG2-SoA before being pertrified by Illasera's Mage. In her own run as PC, she made it to the final Ascension Battle where she ultimately fell to a Fallen Solar. Hopefully, her day has come.

Proficiencies: Long Bow (x2), Slings, Darts, Short Swords, Quarterstaffs, Two-Handed Weapon Style, Two Weapon Style (x2)

Personal Item: Starry, Starry Night (Ring)- +1 Bonus to Saves, +1 Bonus to Movement Rate, Cast Glitterdust 1/Day

Mods: G3 Fixpack, G3 Tweakpack (Free Action Protects Against Stun), Additional Bags in SoA, SCS II (General AI Improvements, Smarter Priests and Mages with full Prebuffs, Potions for NPCs w 50% Breakage, All Creature Improvement, All Tactical Challenges (except the Enhanced Sendai Enclave), Ascension (with SCS Scripting)

Wish her luck everyone!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 04 November 2011 - 05:50 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Vessen the level 10 Priest of Lathanander continues his adventures...

@Alesia: Good luck!

The party has made some good progress. They solved the Umar Hills murder mystery, defeating a Shade Lord. He had a shadow dragon assisting him, but Vessen didn't feel confident on taking down that dragon just yet, will save him for later.

We also solved a murder mystery in the Bridge District. However, while investigating it in a building with murder victims, and despite Joshua's true seeing running, a Rune Assassin got a huge backstab on Vessen (about 2/3 of Vessen's life lost), also despite Vessen's -6 AC. Vessen called the better part of valor and left this dock area and let the party take care of the enemies, which the party did step up to the plate for him.

Also in the Bridge District, we found a warehouse of a hostile party (don't know why they hate us...) Joshua tried out a backstab on the mage (didn't kill him though). He ran out of the warehouse, and all the enemies followed except the mage who was busy buffing himself. The battle outside went well, except Lily got low life. I was just about to activate her defensive stance when my wife wanted me to look at something. The 2 seconds that took caused Lily to be killed (though not chunked). Vessen got her up to speed...

Also, in the same area, we found a lich. The plan was for Lily to use protection from Undead and just beat it up -- this plan was fine, except I thought I would have Uriah set 3 snares to speed up the kill -- that was a mistake because the lich ignore Lily and went after Uriah! The lich did all sorts of mojo, defensive buffs, meteor storm, Pit Fiend. Joshua dispelled the liches protections (some of them anyways) but that also got rid of Lily's protection from Undead. Time for a tactical retreat...but Lily got hammered and dead (though not chunked). Joshua got another undead scroll from a nearby temple of helm, and we also gave him protection from fire (so he would be immune to the Djinn that got summoned) - he waited until the Pit Fiend was killed to make his move, and he did avenge Lily's death. Just wasn't her day.

Hanna needs 50,000 experience to unlock her fighter levels -- I was pretty sure D'Arnise Keep would fit the bill, so we tried to go there. We got ambushed numerous times, and I knew looting would be tight, so went back and sold and went to D'Arnise Keep, got ambushed, sold our junk, etc. We did eventually make it D'Arnise Keep.

No room for Nalia so the party dealt with the Yuan-Ti's and trolls. The party did very well. The good news finally came with the battle with Glaicas - Hanna got to 10 mage and unlocked her fighter abilities! (which includes *** in halberds). She wasted no time in equipping Patrick's halberd.

The golems were dealt with pretty simply, with the Iron Golem being defeated by Azuredge and some MMM's.

We used ranged fire/cloudkill/entangle against the Umber Hulks.

For Torgal himself, we fired a cloudkill at him but he made his save vs. death this time -- so we got all 3 at once. However, thanks to the magic users of the group, this wasn't very bad. The trolls were holy smited/slowed/blinded (by glitterdust), the arcane users had mirror image/stoneskins up and hasted the party, and the party ended up taking only a little damage.

Posted Image

We will probably work on the Dock Area quests next.

Edited by corey_russell, 04 November 2011 - 06:40 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Best of luck for Alia - "that's one in the eye for you ... and you ... and you"

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alia's Game

Consider it cancelled. I just noticed a problem with her save: she has too much experience due to her BG1 adventures.

You may be wondering why I'm lamenting a high EXP total however, it isn't difficult to follow the logic here. An archer needs to be quick. That mean Boots of Speed. Boots of Speed, in turn means Planar Prison. Planar Prison means Umber Hulks if you are below 400k EXP, and Yuan-Ti Mages if you are above. Alia is above 400k. Therefore, with her, the options are to either fight the Yuan-Ti Mages, or go through Chapter 2 as an Archer without Boots of Speed. I choose neither. Hence, Alia's run is cancelled.

Not sure if I'm going to do the Paladin or the Jester. If it's the Paladin, I'll likely start her up in BG1.

Best,

A.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
You may not like to use them, but a possible solution would be to use a scroll of magic protection just for the planar prison.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
That's a good idea Grond0. And while I do generally avoid the Protection from Magic Scrolls, that seems like a reasonable use of one to my mind.

If I weren't interested in my Paladin, I'd probably go ahead with something like that. But I kind of want to give here a go.

You'll see her over in the BG1 thread pretty soon.

Best,

A.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Wow, lots of activities here as of late! It is nice :happy:

Good luck with your duo, Easymask! And yes, green scrolls Stone to Flesh are in each and every Temple.

@Alesia
No matter of your character choice  I'm sure it will be a fun run. Personally, I'm not particularly fond of Fighter-type as my alter-ego (I *see* them more *simple* and *monotonous* than other classes), but I have to admit that in your shaping hands they are pretty shiny. Good luck with whichever of your chosen!:happy:

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 04 November 2011 - 08:51 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
I've almost never used Prot Magic scrolls, or any of the 'Protection' scrolls. I usually forget about them! However, Prot Magic could be very useful in many key encounters, especially if playing solo!

Speaking of solo play, I like the idea of playing with a duo of characters - BFFL (Best Friends For Life, to borrow a phrase from one of my daughter's books), two heroes like Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser who's strengths, talents, interests and weaknesses complement each other.

I have played some PnP D&D like this and it has been fun.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
Greeting yet again friends!

I have spent most of the day pondering and searching for some very old CDs, and after much thought and dedication - I have decided that Aximand and Yarath can only be honored the way I want them to be, by playing through the entire game with them in this challenge. As such, I will move over to the BG1 section untill their journey reaches Amn!

I hope you guys will enjoy the journey as I hopefully will as well. :)