15228 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Wierdo wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

Thanks everyone.

Just adding my best wishes to your coming battle against Melissan.

No advice for you other than take the time you need, don't be distracted (wife, kids, life ...) and BUFF LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!

Thanks for the advice. However, Joshua will probably have to dispel magic Melissan's buffs so we can hit her. Due to the tight circle battle area, that would get our buffs as well as Melissan's. But still, even if the dispel misses one party member, would still be worth it. There's no real reason not to, it's the last fights, not like I'm saving it for anything.

Historically, pool fight #3 and the the battle with Melissan and her slayer shadows have given me the most trouble. I have LOTS of spike traps this go around however (9), so this might make Melissan battles easier, will have to see. I also have the Foebane, which seems designed to do well against pool fight #3. Paja's and Vessen's mountain of summons should make a difference as well.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD5;

@corey_russell LUCK!

@SpiffyKeen no ‘Helm of Balduran’... wouldn’t that make her -9? FYI the game only updates as fast as your CPU & screen refresh will allow however if you set it to “pause on target lost” then that will make it easier to tell when to switch weapons... also ‘Wyvern's Tail’ makes an excellent troll killer until you make the 'FoA'.

Part A;

In an effort to shut him up I pushed Haer'Dalis forward to tank for me whilst I finished my chores to keep Edwin happy & paid the bribe for help with removing the curse from Jaheira before starting chapter three. I was on my way to de'Arnise when a large mob of bandits decided I looked like an easy lay... their mistake.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Part B;

With a full group at my disposal I told Nalia “sorry but no room”... this proved to be a mistake but the Keep itself proved to be little challenge. I let Yoshimo use his traps/ ‘Cloudkill’ trinket to kill trolls on mass whilst Amber slipped past to open the drawbridge & I collected the dog steaks. Do’Dad used ‘Sanctuary’ to collect the weapons from the vault and Jaheira tried to use her ‘Ring of Human Influence’ to bring Glacias back to his senses but it didn’t stick so we had to kill him... Well I suppose the fact that we tried counts for something. Any way, I gave the “FoA” to Jaheira and killed the Iron Golem with ‘Minute Meteors’ before distributing the dog stew and dispatching Torgal... The game bugged out here and I had to return to the Copper Coronet and fetch Nalia back to her Keep in order to get my experience.

Ps. Ormaline is now level twelve ‘Melf's Minute Meteors’ & ‘Contingency’. :wub:

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@USSNorway -- how is it your Jaheira can use the FoA? Druids' can't use flails in my game, you have something that changes that? If so what? And why?

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
She is a Ranger/ Cleric multi for this game m8.

SpiffyKeen

SpiffyKeen
  • Members
  • 54 posts
@ussnorway - Ah, "target lost" sounds like a really good idea.  I will have to play test it.  And as for the Helm of Balduran, I sold it right away to get more gold to work with early on.  Once I have extra gold, I will definately get that back.  Right now, Jaheira is sporting the charm helm. 

------------------------------------------------------

Nothing too strange in Trademeet and the Druid Grove at first.  Jaheira tanked well vs. trolls.  Aerie scouted way ahead to see all enemies using invisibility.  Then Gyan and the entire team approached the druids and mage who were fighting the trolls.  Gyan summoned skeletons to help out.  Then something strange happened.  Even though she was not hostile to the party, the mage's spell made Jaheira and Minsc panic!  Minsc ran away so fast, Aerie's remove fear only help Jaheira.  Minsc wandered off and brought an ettercap into the battle.  Gyan ran after Minsc and removed his panic.  Then the entire party focused on and killed the ettercap.  It became even more interesting when the trolls killed the druids and the mage after falling down and fully regenerating! 

Posted Image

Gyan and crew killed the last troll easily.  Farther in, the 2nd druid gang led by Kyland did not finish the fight.  They ran away after a few losses. 

Posted Image

From there, the party killed some more trolls, and Jaheira equipped the newly found scimitar +2, Belm.  Can't wait until she has 2 pips in scimitars for 3 APR with shield!  Gyan did not talk to the Dao Djinn in Trademeet, but Keldorn figured out that the lady in the house was evil, so they had to fight.  Aerie died right away to a chain lightning (tried to run her out of range).  Minsc went berserk in response, but after a little more fighting and some potion healing for everyone (Jahiera especially since she also took a lightning bolt later in the fight), all three rakshasa were eliminated.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Jaheira (and Minsc!) healed Minsc before he took the damage from losing berserk.  And Minsc's healing spell was cast before Keldorn talked him down.  Interesting.  Jaheira raised Aerie, Gyan healed her a bit, then Jaheira summoned a nymph to heal the party en masse.  Soon after, they fought mushrooms and more druids.  A Call Lightning killed Jaheira (should have seen that coming).  No one could raise her, so Gyan pushed on. 

Posted Image

Gyan had Cernd take care of Faldorn.  Cernd did a quick 80 damage in 2 hits before she cast Iron Skins.  Then Cernd had to swing a lot to get back to doing damage.  Finally, after four more hits and another 80 damage, Faldorn died.  She did manage to land one hit for 3 damage.  With the quest done, and the restoration of balance assured, Gyan prepared to memorize a Raise Dead for Jaheira. 

I was pretty sure that the romances would be done because of the 2 deaths, but another romance talk with Aeire happened during the rest, and as soon as Gyan raised Jaheira, she had a nightmare romance talk as well.  So, I guess the romances are still going. 

Everyone was healed and they returned to Trademeet.  With all the hero stuff in town, Yoshimo leveled up to BH12 and Jaheira leveled up to F9 adding another proficiency point in scimitars, getting her up to 3 APR with Belm.  From there, they IDed their loot and sold what they did not want to keep.  Then they admired their statues.  Finally, they provided a neutral resolution to the feuding families problem.  Gyan reached 20 reputation!  Next up will be a spending spree! 

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by SpiffyKeen, 16 January 2012 - 10:18 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Spiffykeen: it's not deaths per se, that stop the romances, but deaths that remove the party member from the group, such as petrification -- at least, from what I understand.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD6;

I stopped in at Watcher's Keep and purchased a “potion case” before returning to Athkatla... I also popped into Trademeet & primly distracted the guard outside the Dao Djinn tent whilst Haer'Dalis picked the bottle out of his pocket for me (Summon an Efreeti once per day) but I don’t want to do this area until Imoen is safely back so I gave the bottle to Amber and we pushed on with my shopping. I had some spare cash before going vamp hunting so let’s see; ‘Shield of Balduran’ for Jaheira, ‘Girdle of Hill Giant Strength’ for Do’Dad, ‘Ring of Energy’ for Haer'Dalis & ‘Ring of Air Control’ for yours truly + a recharge on both my wand of ‘Monster Summoning’ (50) & ‘Resurrection’ (10)... Yes, that should keep us (i.e. me) a little safer.

Posted Image Posted Image

I allowed Jaheira to take the lead in pealing the layered vamps onion by ones and twos but SCS Tanova has traditionally given my no-reload characters a hard time until Edward figured out that the trick to killing her is to stop her shield ever going up, so I let Yoshimo use his special traps to hold her and just finished the job with multiple ‘Skull Trap’s... not exactly cricket but she cheats as well so I feel justified doing it this way. When we moved down stairs Do’Dad kept the Fledgling Vampires away with his “Turn Undead” which allowed Jaheira the breathing room to dispatch the Grimwarders first (stops them ganging up on her). Bodhi discovered the “better part of valour” & I got Cromwell to upgrade the ‘Mace of Disruption’ before sailing away with only 51 pieces of gold remaining in my purse!

Ps. I forgot to mention before that Amber claimed the ‘Court Bow +3’ from de'Arnise and I’m keeping ‘Frostreaver’ despite the fact that I’ve got no clear idea of what to do with it... I suppose that makes me seem irrational? :wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 17 January 2012 - 06:01 AM.

DMWW

DMWW
  • Members
  • 254 posts
If Tanova cheats, it's not intentional. Let me know what you have in mind.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts

DMWW wrote...

DMWW - you do SCS development? I am fully in awe of that! But let me respectfully make a few points.

Most SCS opponents 'cheat' (well, mage-types at least). They do it by insta-casting multiple buffs just after you engage with them. Some might argue that the enemy mages have spies etc to give them forewarning of parties approaching and prepare appropriately. This argument seems a bit thin to me when you play commando-style (thieves, stalkers, invisibility) with the aim of catching your opponents unawares. However, I grudgingly accept this because it makes the encounters a greater challenge for experienced players.

Of course, this allows your enemies to replicate what an experienced player with near-perfect fore-knowledge will do, So in this sense it is perfectly fair for enemies to insta-auto-buff. However, this assumes that the player takes advantage of any fore-knowledge - which many don't (mainly for RP reasons).

Before playing with SCS installed, I used to try to pretend that my characters had no prior knowledge about encounters. This meant that my parties would usually only have standard, long-term buffs in place (e.g. spells or perhaps potions with durations of several turns or more, like Stoneskins or Prot from Evil 10' Radius, the kind a party might automatically cast before going into any new or unknown dungeon or adventure) unless our own scouts (e.g. stealthy thieves, wizard eyes etc) had been able to get extra info about enemy numbers and strengths. I wouldn't analyse walkthroughs before encounters. I played "quick-draw" style against mages (e.g. try to hit them with magic missiles before they could get defences up).

Some exceptions to my party non-buffing might include: party has just
completed one encounter and is still under the influence of a Haste
spell, which lasts 3 rounds + 1 round/level.
In SoA this could mean around 2 turns duration, easily anough time for 2-3 quick encounters. They might then
blindly charge on ahead so that the Haste doesn't run out and get
wasted. Another thing to keep in mind here is that 2 Haste spells =
fatigue, which then demands a rest. For RP reasons,
resting when only half-way through clearing out a lair is something I
don't like to do . Resting early makes it unrealistic, as the monsters
should then be able to call reinforcements, set traps, block entrances
etc to make it harder for the party to come back for a second try.

After I started using SCS, many times I'd foolishly go unbuffed into an encounter with an unbuffed SCS spell caster,
gotten my mage to immediately start casting MM (magic missile) or MAA
(Acid Arrows) at an enemy mage, to just find that the enemy mage then insta-buffs
with Shield/ GoI etc etc which then means your spells are wasted. To top it
off, your mage then can't cast anything for another round, meaning that
they are at even further disadvantage.

But with SCS installed you can assume that the enemies will cast every defensive spell that they can, short or long duration, and even a few offensive ones. So you had better get ready.

For example Chant is a spell that my parties rarely use in combat because it takes a full round to cast yet only lasts one turn! It is a short duration spell, dangerous to cast, but provides relatively small benefits. Same applies to Bless (lasts only 6 rounds!). Because these spells have such short durations, you couldn't legitimately pre-buff with them and then waste any time with other pre-buffs, or wait for opponents to come to you. You would have to cast the spells and then charge into the fray, otherwise they would be useless.

However, enemy SCS priests pre-buff Chant & Bless all the time. Casting time is immaterial to them as they are cast 'instantly' as the battle begins. To rub in some salt, Chant is actually offensive as it also causes a -1 to opponents (ie, your party), a feat I am rarely able to duplicate through party pre-buffing (as your party is not near the enemies at time of casting). However, enemies come into a battle with these spells at full duration and THEN immediately cast some horrible offensive spell at you. 

Enemies will not hold back either. They won't, say, not cast GoI or SI because they want to save it for the next group of adventurers or other dangers. They will cast everything that they can at you because the modder *knows* that they have no other opponents. In contrast, most players/parties will hold back a bit on casting every single spell they have because they don't want to have to rest immediately.

When going up against some later-stage SoA and ToB opponents, the list of their pre-buffs is so long it scrolls off the screen.

The 'fairest' way to effectively 'level the playing field' is to use all your fore-knowledge and fully pre-buff your parties as well. Even if this means you need to rest after every encounter. For some reason this makes me think of the cold war and arms races.

Alternatively, some players counter this by simply leaving the room and waiting for enemy
buffs to expire before returning (I don't). This tactic is criticised by
some as being cheesy, and perhaps it is slightly, but in fact this is a
legitimate strategic weakness that SCS opponents leave
themselves open to. It rarely makes little sense
for an enemy to cast all their defensive spells in one go and then
expect players to hang around and get beaten/fried/frozen/melted to death. After all,
opponents can easily run or hide and you never know what might happen a
little later, after your spells expire.

Another option is what USSnorway described - lay a bunch of traps or time-delay spells (e.g. Delayed Blast Fireball, Skull Trap, Glyph of Warding) around opponents before they turn red. This definitely smells  somewhat of cheesiness but what else can you do against impossibly pre-buffed opponents? (also, otherwise it can be hard to properly take advantage of thieves, but that is another issue).

Sooooooo, IMHO, I reckon that SCS should give an option to limit mages/priests pre-buffing to:

- only pre-buff spells with turns/level or greater durations (e.g. Stone/Ironskins, Spirit Armor, Protection from Magic/Fire/Cold/Lightning/Acid, Chaotic Commands, Death Ward, Shield etc), or at the very least greater than (say) 3 turns in total. This covers a *LOT* of defensive spells. This might arguably include spells like Spell Shield/Deflection/Turning, Fire Shield etc, all of which have durations of 3 rounds/level (ie could be 6 turns in SoA), but *not* Spell Immunity (which is only 1 round/level, or up to 2 turns in SoA).

- Beyond this, allow pre-buffing of NO MORE THAN 1 or maybe 2 shorter-duration spells per mage/priest. So this means that they might (for example) get up a Mirror Image and GoI, but then not Haste, SI, Chant, Bless and PfMW etc as well. An advantage of this for enemies is that they won't be defenceless if the party runs or hides.

None of the above prevents the use of short-duration spells in contingencies. But it does mean that if they want to use these short-duration spells then they should be required to cast them in combat, just like everyone else (within reason).

One might also consider changing mage/priest spell lists to include multiple memorisations of key defensive spells, in order to counter the 'party leaves the room' tactic.

Just my humble opinion. :whistle:

Edited by Wierdo, 18 January 2012 - 05:39 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

DMWW wrote...

I’ve noticed that her shield seems to stay up/ refresh a lot plus is it just my imagination or does she cast those ‘Domination’ spells as innates? I don’t personally like the Improved vamps because they tend to glitch with trap damage (I suspect this is more of an game engine limitation)... still I suppose cheat is too strong a word & perhaps “extraordinary” would better describe her capabilities but are you saying I shouldn’t have used the traps against her (mega-gaming knowledge) or is it just by doing it that way I missed out on experiencing the challenge... BTW what tactics would you suggest? :wub:

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Wierdo wrote...
Most SCS opponents 'cheat' (well, mage-types at least). They do it by insta-casting multiple buffs just after you engage with them.

You can always deselect the the pre-buffing option... or select the option for using long-lasting buffs.  With the latter option they'll use things like Stoneskin, but not PfMW.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Wierdo wrote...
Sooooooo, IMHO, I reckon that SCS should give an option to limit mages/priests pre-buffing

Did you install SCS through a mega-mod install?  As AnonymousHero says there are already options to reduce pre-buffing - I originally installed with the no-buffing options, though I now play with full pre-buffing.

Note though that the AI for SCS is far more thorough than most players (certainly than me) in it's preparation.  Thus, even without pre-buffing, wizards quickly slam up defensive spells through use of contingencies, sequencers etc.  This is not cheating, but just an attempt to maximise the potential of characters.  SCS opponents will sometimes run, hide etc, but their ability to manage combat like this is still much more limited than a human, which gives a PC the option of swinging things their way as an alternative of trying to bull through spell protections..

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD7;

Brynnlaw;

The only battle that matters here is with Perth... I kept my buffs light, ‘Shield’, ‘Spell Immunity- Enchantment & Adjuration’ (protects against dispel & various types of stun);

Round 1 – I tried to rapid fire damage him with ‘Minute Meteors’, ‘Wand of the Heavens’ & ‘Ring of Energy’ whist Amber & Yoshimo used their summons (Efreeti & berserk warrior)... basically I was hoping to interrupt him before he could get out all the buffs but it didn’t work.
Round 2 – Do’Dad summoned his Kitthix & the rest of us killed off his two fake images... at the end of the round he cast ‘Time Stop’ & put up some impressive buffs.
Round 3 – After studying the combat log I realised that none of his buffed stopped normal damage so I moved the pets in-between us and proceeded to try and pin cushion him with arrows & stones.
Round 4 – He fired a ‘Dispel’ & ‘Greater Malison’ at us before disappearing under a hail of claws and missiles.

I’ll say this for SCS Perth... you have to walk through the door without really knowing what to expect & in my book that’s scary!

p.s. I swear I could see the ghost of a Halfling cheering me on throughout the battle from the corner of the room... perhaps it was just a trick of the light?
P.p.s Does anyone else hear Terry Hall singing off in the distance? :wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 18 January 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
[quote]Grond0 wrote...

[quote]Wierdo wrote...
Sooooooo, IMHO, I reckon that SCS should give an option to limit mages/priests pre-buffing[/quote]

Did you install SCS through a mega-mod install?  As AnonymousHero says there are already options to reduce pre-buffing - I originally installed with the no-buffing options, though I now play with full pre-buffing.
[/quote]

Same is true for me. I started with limited buffing then changed to full SCS pre-buffing for Wierdo's run (as in, the gnome illusionist/thief). To answer your question directly, I didn't do a mega-mod install.

What I was suggesting was an extra option to limit pre-buffing to just longer duration spells. I think that it is taking the principle slightly too far to have mages/priests pre-buffing with short duration spells (i.e. less than 2-3 turns).

Even so, I am happy to play SCS with all pre-buffing options as the mod enhances gameplay for experienced players. It is a well done mod!

[quote]
Note though that the AI for SCS is far more thorough than most players (certainly than me) in it's preparation.  Thus, even without pre-buffing, wizards quickly slam up defensive spells through use of contingencies, sequencers etc.  This is not cheating, but just an attempt to maximise the potential of characters.  SCS opponents will sometimes run, hide etc, but their ability to manage combat like this is still much more limited than a human, which gives a PC the option of swinging things their way as an alternative of trying to bull through spell protections..[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree fully and have absolutely no concern about SCS scripting for contingencies/sequencers.

My only concern is the auto pre-buffing for short-term duration spells. This includes Chant & Bless in particular, but could also be extended to PfMW, MGoI, GoI, SI, Haste ...

So, Maybe SCS could include an option to restrict pre-buffing of short duration spells. It might even allow a choice: 1 = only restrict spells with duration <1turn (like Bless, Chant, PfMW); 2 = restrict spells with durations of less than or equal to 2 turns (like MGoI, SI, Haste ...); or no restrictions at all.

I might be mistaken about PfMW - perhaps this is always done through contingencies?

Now here is a scary thought - SCS allowing enemies to pre-DRINK potions with longer durations (like giant strength, heroism etc which last 10 turns) ... that would set a cat amongst the pigeons ... :devil:

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

ussnorway wrote...

I don’t personally like the Improved vamps because they tend to glitch with trap damage (I suspect this is more of an game engine limitation)

Traps deal a combination of missile damage and (at levels 11-15 and 21+) poison damage (fire damage at lvls 16-20). Stoneskin will block the missile portion and undead are immune to poison (except liches, strangely) which would explain why they don't work on a vampire mage.

Weirdo wrote...

Enemies will not hold back either. They won't, say, not cast GoI or SI because they want to save it for the next group of adventurers or other dangers. They will cast everything that they can at you because the modder *knows* that they have no other opponents. In contrast, most players/parties will hold back a bit on casting every single spell they have because they don't want to have to rest immediately.

I'm sure most players would buff as much as possible, and not hold back when fighting a "boss" type battle... And that's what the Bhaalspawn's party is - from most enemies' perspective, having better weapons, lower saving throws etc.

Also, leaving out a "layer" of buffing makes the battle very straightforward.

No Globe of Invulnerability - the enemy mage is quickly taken out by Holy Smite, Web or other low level AoE's.

No Spell Turning - they're open to Breach or PW:Stun.

No ProMW or equivalent - Flail of Ages, or any elemental weapon, or vorpal weapon, or dispelling weapon (even in the early game you've got arrows of ice).

No illusionary buffs - makes everything above happen one round sooner, essentialy.

Because such thing as "initiative" and "surprise" weren't implemented in BG2 (and probably couldn't be, since it's not turn based) an unbuffed mage, regardless of level or scripting is just not that much of a challenge.

DMWW

DMWW
  • Members
  • 254 posts
@Weirdo: option 3 basically does what you suggest (it includes Stoneskin, Iron Skins, Protection from Cold/Fire, Death Ward, Chaotic Commands, and possibly one or two others). I don't use PMW in a prebuff sequence (I normally try to keep to spells of 1 turn or longer duration, at least in BG2) but my scripts fairly reliably cast it in the first instant of a battle, either directly or through contingency) so it's easy to get misled.

@ussnorway: Tanova's Domination is her innate Vampire domination ability, not a spell.

@polytope: that's pretty much how I think about mage buffing. If you're a mage who's not protected from direct-attack spells, area-effect spells and physical damage, your lifespan in mid-to-late BG2 is measured in seconds.Illusions basically function as an extra round of grace. (And clerics, who lack many of these protections and don't have sequencers, are virtually impossible to keep alive in BG2 except as part of large groups.)

Edited by DMWW, 18 January 2012 - 01:33 PM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@DMWW - Fair enough.

I do often feel sorry for enemy clerics (they should at least have ironskins)! I've gotten used to full SCS options now and can't go back anyway!

I hear what you are saying about mages lives being measured in seconds without buffings. Even with full SCS options, mages have limited offensive capability without some solid fighter-type backup to protect them and deliver serious damage.

So ... what do you think about pre-buffing for fighter-types with a potion? Is it possible? I know that they tend to drink them quickly in combat but then they can't do other things like active HLAs. SCS adds the potions already, now they would just have to use some just before the battle ...

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
What I want to see is smarter battles with guards like a bountyhunter that retreats to the back of the room and tosses traps into the melee or a dragon with ten hostile chickens as pets & a hatchery machine that replaces the ones that die... let’s see you lay those spike traps now!

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Wierdo wrote...

So ... what do you think about pre-buffing for fighter-types with a potion? Is it possible? I know that they tend to drink them quickly in combat but then they can't do other things like active HLAs. SCS adds the potions already, now they would just have to use some just before the battle ...

The game strictly enforces once per round use of items such as potions (unlike spells). To allow pre-buffing you'd need to externalise the potion's effects as a .spl file (which some mods already do, to prevent them from stacking), I think it'd be fine in the case of potions which last for multiple game hours.

ussnorway wrote...

What I want to see is smarter battles with guards like a bountyhunter that retreats to the back of the room and tosses traps into the melee or a dragon with ten hostile chickens as pets & a hatchery machine that replaces the ones that die... let’s see you lay those spike traps now!

Sounds immersion breaking; realistically a thief should be able to design a trap which is triggered by the weight of a 20 tonne dragon, and not by a 2kg chicken - I think the current solution of a dragon turning hostile on the first attempt to set a trap is more plausible.

The ability of a bounty hunter to "throw" traps into the middle of a fight, but not set them if any enemies can actually see him or her is also very strange; not to mention that the AI has difficulty targetting AoE abilities (like BH traps) if they don't have a creature in LoS. You can use the SpellPoint([x,y],SET_SPECIAL_SNARE_TRAP), command, but it needs to be scripted uniquely for every area and is easily defeated by "fodder" summons like skeletons.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
As I understand it the current system has the dragon scripted to change in two steps i.e. he turns hostile but doesn’t take the trap damage at least that’s how is was in V19 which to me, makes no sense what so ever. The bountryhunter thing is not that hard to script if you know how the battle will start like say the battle in spell hold with Yoshimo fighting against you but I agree that it’s not something people would want to see a lot of (far too deadly).

DMWW

DMWW
  • Members
  • 254 posts
Actually, the dragon-turning-hostile thing isn't particularly designed to avoid traps. In general I ignore traps: I can't really come up with a happy medium between (a) ignoring them, and (B) doing things to make them effectively pointless. I don't want to do (B), because the point of the mod is to make combat more interesting, not to foreclose options.

& yes, prebuff use of potions is doable though a bit involved technically. I'll think about it for the next version.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD8;

Like the 80’s Terry Hall song it appears that “the lunatics have taken over the asylum” but the good news is that Imoen has finally re-joined the group... fortunately I asked my familiar to hold the “Scroll Case” & 3 ‘potions of Genius’ for me before we entered Spell Hold so she went nuts learning spells.

With freshly conjured +3 weapons all round we set about the tasks in order to prove my sanity... I had only two close calls; the first one when I got to close to the ‘Web’ whilst planting my ‘Skull Traps’ but my ‘Contingency’ <invisible> fired off & saved me then the second time was when an enemy decided to give Do’Dad the evil eye which petrified him until a frantic search revealed an old ‘Stone to Flesh’ scroll in the bottom of the case... neither of these incidents occurred whilst fighting what I’d consider to be particularly difficult battles but the extra bookkeeping involved with continually casting new weapons must have got me muddled up.

Once we discovered our missing gear and put up some basic buffs it was time for the big event... I used my standard tactics of retreat to a corner, pop some solid adds & kill my doppelgangers in order of most dangerous first i.e. Do’Dad must die!

To be honest this battle was a bit of a fissile because Icky seemed to be court wrong footed by my retreat and spent the bulk of the battle casting away at whatever outside my line of sight, in fact the most difficult part was finding all the peons... still not entirely sure how he got himself in there? BTW I’m now a level thirteen sorceress adding ‘Stoneskin’, ‘Spell Shield’ & ‘Death Fog’ to my repertoire.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD9;

Fun in Sahuagin City, the only feasibly dangerous battle was against a pit full of un-dead (including a powerful Sea Zombie Lord)... “no problem, I’ve got it” said Do’Dad & flashed me a wicked grin as he cast ‘Sanctuary’, walked down the stairs and killed the lot with his ‘Blade Barrier’ & a ‘False Dawn’ to turn the boss hostile. When I asked him why those specific spells he replied that “they never knew what hit them since neither of those spells will break stealth!”

p.s. I was hoping that the level five spell ‘Protection From Acid’ might help against their poison darts but alas not... Sorry Amber. :wub:

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD10;

My first week in the Underdark;

“How the hell did we end up <um> never mind”...  the first step was to clear out three separate elemental infestations but Jaheira held their attention (elementals are her favourite enemy) which allowed Amber to backstab each of them as they arrived.

Posted Image

A drow raiding party, consisting of six was the next issue & the more serious threat because it included three clerics but I was fortunate because Amber managed to spy on them (and lay some traps) without giving us away. I used the nearby shop to reload some wands & attacked them in three stages; for the alphastrike we used ‘Web’, ‘Holly Smite’s & ‘Fireball’s but after two rounds only a single drow cleric lay dead... I expected something like this because of their magic resistance coupled with various potions. We retreated and Haer'Dalis used “Cloak of the Sewers” to turn into a jelly for tanking the next stage... he can’t use his shield in this form so he was only -18 armour but the high saves coupled with ‘Magic Resistance’ (28) from Do’Dad allowed him to soak up the bulk of their offensive selections & perhaps more importantly bought my party the time to buff/ summon. By the time Haer'Dalis finally went under they were down too two drow & a princess (Cleric) so the final stage was a slugfest between us & far too much of a near victory for my taste.

After licking our wounds at the Svirfneblin Inn, I killed a Balor with ‘Minute Meteors’ & rescued both Bedlen & Strathi* but Alchra, Gont, Riti & Aganalo all died horrible trap related deaths.

* If you cast ‘Heal’ to bring him back to sanity he rewards you with “Albruil” & immunity to poison is very rare so I wanted it for Haer'Dalis before doing the Kuo-Toa Dungeon. :wub:

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD11;

Despite my better judgement I agreed to help a mage named Vithal with a spot of pillage but the subsequent argument over the loot didn’t go well for him... then it’s on to the caves, we go, we go.  Do’dad offered to spike their water before we had our wicked way with them and that worked very well but I’m definitely mixing my own cocktails from now on!

Imoen had a close call against the un-dead knights but Do’Dad, Amber & Jaheira made short work of them whilst Haer'Dalis, myself & a now seriously wounded Imoen bravely trembled behind the solid wooden door.

Posted Image

Note to self; it appears that fish are immune to cloud damage... no lungs?

Posted Image

Bugs & issues report;

Posted Image

For some weird reason the extra rock elementals decided that they liked Jaheira better than the guy that summoned them.  :wub: