Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
I might as well give this challenge a go since I got nothing else better to do.

I play unmodded vanilla BG2 SoA/ToB with official patches and content. Zero mods.

I'm gonna play as a Sorcerer since I've never tried one let alone played through the game with a caster of any kinda besides a paladin. I will post a detail response later with stats and other crucial information.

Gem Hound

Gem Hound
  • Members
  • 118 posts
Well, this is going to be my second game of Baldur's Gate 2 so I want to see how long I can last without reloading.
Mods being used:
  • Gibberlings 3 BG2 Fixpack
  • Chosen of Mystra BG2 Subraces <--Mandatory though questionable stability.
  • ((Open to suggestions for others))

Drizafein Zau'Urden
((Unyeilding Excecutioner of the Children of Darkness))

Chaotic Good Drow Fighter

[*]Posted Image

Well, I'm in Irenicus's Dungeon now and am going to see how long I last on this one.

At the start though, I might have a little difficulty buying things .

Edited by Gem Hound, 09 February 2012 - 03:27 AM.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts
If you are talking about your low charisma, all you need to do is make someone with a high charisma as your party leader. Keldorn for instance has a charisma of 18 as does Saerileth if you have that mod installed.

I may be teaching grandmother how to suck eggs, but you change the party leader by dragging the picture of the person you want as leader to the top when in play mode.

Gem Hound

Gem Hound
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Grimwald the Wise wrote...

If you are talking about your low charisma, all you need to do is make someone with a high charisma as your party leader. Keldorn for instance has a charisma of 18 as does Saerileth if you have that mod installed.

I may be teaching grandmother how to suck eggs, but you change the party leader by dragging the picture of the person you want as leader to the top when in play mode.

No, I'm talking about my low rep because of Racism. I already have Jaheira with the Ring of Human Influence on as the leader.
Well, so far, I have destroyed the spectral harpers and emptied two of the floors of the Fighter Stronghold((De'Arnise Keep)). I've done a bit more but I forget what I've done exactly.

Also: Is there a mod that extends Throne of Bhall? It was a little Anti-Climatic for me and the only difficult battles were Draconis and Amelysan.

Edited by Gem Hound, 09 February 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gem Hound wrote...
Also: Is there a mod that extends Throne of Bhall? It was a little Anti-Climatic for me and the only difficult battles were Draconis and Amelysan.

You could try Ascension, which adds a bit extra and makes the main opponents more dangerous.  SCS2 is a good mod if you want to make things a bit more difficult.

After seeing off Sarevok, Raven the kensai is starting his adventures in Athkatla. 

He has successfully made it through Irenicus's dungeon, which is by no means a foregone conclusion with his poor saves.  His poor AC meant he took quite a bit of damage, but he rested regularly to deal with that.  Main encounters included:

- the first duergar mage failed to get a spell off before succumbing to a hard-driven dagger.
Posted Image

- the mephit portal room was more difficult than it should have been as I remembered too late that daggers are too short to damage the portals Posted Image.  Even so Raven didn't quite need to resort to healing potions before finishing the last of the gated mephits off.Posted Image  It was lucky that none of the gated mephits were the steam variety as their stun attack would mean virtually certain death here.  As there are two of them in the air elemental area Raven did not venture there.

- there was good timing with the clone: Raven killed her a fraction of a second after she disposed of an assassin.Posted Image

On exit from the dungeon Raven was 20 XP short of level 9, but some quest experience soon zoomed him past that.Posted Image
He received 14 HPs from the level up, continuing his fine run of dice throws from BG1.  Here are his current stats:
Posted Image

Currently I have in mind to dual him to a thief.  As thieves need so little XP to get levels I will probably wait until level 13 to dual, rather than do it at level 9 as I would if dualling to a mage.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
I just posted an elaborate update on Aedan when my internet crashed and everything was gone. Since it took me almost half an hour, I won't rewrite everything - just the basics.

It's been 2 months since my last update, but now I'm back, and Aedans game is still going (if you don't remember, my last post was on page 130, where this completely randomized party just entered the underdark) - we have Phobos, the Barbarian wielding Daystar, Arkanthos, a dwarven Priest, Argus, a halfling Fighter/Thief, Achilleus, a half-orc Bounty Hunter, Shakti, a gnomish Cleric/Illusionist and the Bhaalspawn Aedan, an elven Thief. Their stats are pretty bad.

To make it short:
Aedan freed the prisoners, helped and then killed Vithal (mainly for scrolls and the Death Skull), had Phobos and some Skeleton warriors defeat the Balor, killed the Kua-Toa prince (but didn't challenge the demon knights yet), the drow partys and kua-toas and entered Ust'Natha.

He defeated the surfacer-party with summons and Shakti tanking, used the death skull to free Phaere, won all of the pit fights (Shakti and Spider Spawn), killed Quile (which went pretty well considering the number of mages down there, thanks to a single Skeleton warrior), did the drow quests and took care of the slimes (wand of fire), killed Deirex with double Sunrays, cleared house Jae'llat, switched the eggs, talked to Adalon and returned to the surface.

There, he managed to pick the wrong conversation choice with Drizzt (he turned hostile, since I never fought him I just used oils of speed and ran away, didn't want to go in an unknown fight unprepared). Went back to his guild in Athkatla, killed the city gates lich (I always feel bad for the guy, since I steal the thing he's actually guarding so early in the game in every run and subsequently kill him with it), talked to Aran and the Order and entered the graveyard. Did I mention I like sunrays?

Anyway, Bodhis Lair was not very exciting since I had Phobos use a protection from undead scroll, and 2 Grim Warders are the only thing down there that doesn't count as undead - and those are not a challenge for a high level barbarian. After Bodhi was dead, I had Cromwell forge the Wave and Gesens.

It was time to kill Kangaxx, so Phobos used a protection from magic scroll, killed the Lichform with Daystar and instantly defeated the demi-lich form in one round due to mace of disruption +2.

Next time, the group will descend to the sewers to kill some Illithids, explore the southern forests and propably return to the underdark for illithid city and maybe the beholder lairs.

Something about general strategies, since I didn't describe the fights: I usually buff with prot from evil 3m, CC, death ward, (improved) haste, chant and bless for tougher battles, though I mostly protect Phobos, Aedan and Shakti, since I don't use the thieves too much unless there is an oppurtunity for traps or backstabs (they usually stay invisible until they are needed).
Most of the time, I summon Skeletons/Skeleton Warriors, Sword Spiders and/or Aerial Servants before fighting and have Phobos lead the assault unless there is lots of physical damage (that's Shaktis job, with Stoneskins and MI), while the others mostly use ranged weapons. He will adapt to any situation by receiving proper protection items (reflection shield, ilbratha, several cloaks, potions etc.) and both clerics will be ready to use "Heal" on him if things get tough. I don't use a whole lot of offensive spells (sometimes magical missles, sometimes slow), most of the things I have memorized serve to strengthen Phobos.

After a battle has started, the group will support Phobos and the summons with backstabs, detect illusions, ranged weapon attacks and minor offensive spells from time to time. He's gaining profiency points in Flail and two-weapon style right now so he'll be able to dual-wield a given weapon with the Fail of Ages later on.

This one-character-focus thing is something that happened to me in pretty much every single randomized party no-reload I've played - since you usually don't have any characters with stats that are are actually good and your (few) spellcasters eventually run out of spells (I don't rest more often than neccessary, it's a personal restriction), you are forced to focus all the really good items, especially stat increasing ones (belt of hill giant strength and gauntlets of dexterity), on one fighter-type character to be able to even stand a chance in a regular battle. It gets better in ToB where you have more stat increasing items and generally more useful equipment.

Edited by Enuhal, 10 February 2012 - 01:41 AM.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
welcome back Enuhal.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD14;

Good luck Grond0, I’d go mage over thief myself but what stronghold are you figuring on?

@Enuhal, welcome back.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Ormaline is still around but I’m a little worried about her rep;
My first step was to collect the “Mana Bow +4”, from Tethyr Forest for Amber then it was time to visit Waukeen's Promenade and have the “Wyvern Leather Robe +2” made for Imoen but I forgot about the Githyanki ambushers and Amber killed the town crier in the muddle... O’ Bugger!

Gem Hound

Gem Hound
  • Members
  • 118 posts
Hmm I lasted longer than I thought I would. I reached Aran Lingvail and he summoned a "cacofiend" who stunned my PC and then smacked him about 10 times.((I did a whole bunch of quests and decided to help Bodhi instead))

Edited by Gem Hound, 10 February 2012 - 06:30 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

ussnorway wrote...
Good luck Grond0, I’d go mage over thief myself but what stronghold are you figuring on?

I've got SCS2 allowing all strongholds, so will probably aim to do the lot eventually.  The one I've had particular trouble with in the past is the druid stronghold because the revised dialogue forces the PC to fight - can be very nasty if your PC is not good in battles and you were expecting Cernd to do the fighting! 

Part of the reason for going with a thief is that I tend to get bored with buffing after a while and I want to try and make this run a lengthy one.

I forgot about the Githyanki ambushers and Amber killed the town crier in the muddle... O’ Bugger!

Sounds like you need to prove you truly repent with a visit to a temple.

@Enuhal - good to hear from you again.

@Gem Hound - hard luck.  I dislike those fiends myself.  One once stunned an entire party most of whom had very low saving throws.  You might want to have Arbane's sword handy to protect against stun for a future encounter.

Edited by Grond0, 10 February 2012 - 07:06 AM.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Another update for Aedan, since I won't be able to play this weekend:

Aedan and his party entered the temple sewers and Andrastos summoned skeleton warriors and aerial servants to fight the Illithid slaves. Their numbers quickly crumbled with some ranged weapon support. Even the illithids themselves could not withstand the power of the Skeletons + Phobos, and soon, their leader was defeated.

The group returned to Elhan to deliver the Lanthorne for some more experience before exploring the Forest of Tethyr. They encountered wyvern cultists and mists and helped Coran with some werewolves. At the North forest, skeletons were summoned to fight a powerful party, their thief was seperated from the group and killed, while Argus and Achilleus went in to backstab the cleric and the archer. Alone, the mage fell quickly after a breach spell.

Next stop were the temple ruins, since the Shadow Dragon was still alive. Activated his death spell script with a random summon before calling some Skeleton warriors, buffing and hasting. With most of the party only using ranged weapons and Phobos well protected, the risks were minimized, and as soon as the Shadow Dragon was in a bad position he quickly fell. I should note here that I try not to use any traps when fighting dragons, because I like these fights the way they are. However, since this is a no-reload, I set up some traps away from the field of battle so I can lure the dragon there in case of an emergency.

When leaving temple ruins, Aedan was ambushed by some shape changers who couldn't pierce his cloak. Next up: Firkraag.

The two clerics buffed in addition to the usual thing protection from fire, and that was basically it. The party engaged firkraag, who would've killed everyone with his breath weapon if not for the spell. However, this way he was defeated very quickly. Went back to Cromwell to forge some new armor and entered the Underdark again.

Down there, I set up traps for the demon knights, and some skeleton warriors + Phobos took out the remaining ones. Still buffed, I decided to take a risk and enter the beholders lair, ready to use the remaining protection from magic scroll on Aedan if either the elder eye or the beholder would start targetting Aedan. They didn't, though, and were slain quickly. The rest was easy, with Phobos using the Shield of Balduran and killing the illithids protected with cc. He quickly cleared the cave of enemies and the group returned to the main map.

Next time, I will enter Illithid City.

Edited by Enuhal, 10 February 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Gem Hound

Gem Hound
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Grond0 wrote...
@Gem Hound - hard luck.  I dislike those fiends myself.  One once stunned an entire party most of whom had very low saving throws.  You might want to have Arbane's sword handy to protect against stun for a future encounter.

In a one on one fight without magic I probably would have killed it.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grond0, just want to second your choice of thief -- if you can survive until 3,000,000 experience you can use UAI -- your Kensai could wear armor! You can use magic scrolls. Plus being a thief you will of course get experience when you de-trap and pick locks.

Good luck! And consolations, Gem Hound.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Update for Raven.

He has made quite a bit of progress and is not far off level 13 now and his expected dualling point.  His adventures have included:

- breezing through the circus.

- freeing the Copper Coronet.  At this stage money had gone to improve reputation so he was potentially vulnerable to spells.  The Horn of Kazgoroth therefore got a workout against the guards.
Posted Image

- Raven now invested in the ring of air control, which made the hobgoblin groups under the Copper Coronet easy.  Raven's high HPs made the Chosen of Mystra thieves no real danger, which opened the way to acquiring Lilarcor (which allowed him to take out the myconids and a jelly that tried to hide with them). 
Posted Image
Captain Haegan and his guards were no real problem, though Raven failed to kill the priest with his initial attack and then had to run away from a sanctuaried priest with slay living active (those fond of clerics might note that casting this spell does not appear to destroy sanctuary).
Posted Image
I did make a mistake with one of the two mages when improved invisibility ran out and Raven was exposed to a minor sequencer charm person without Lilarcor equipped. 

- Next on the list was to obtain Arbane.  Travelling invisibly Raven got the drop on the ambushers and finished them off.  Similar tactics were intended for the Renfeld ambush, but the mage there started off invisible and got a dispel off on Raven.  However, he died under a hail of throwing daggers before having a chance to cast anything else.
Posted Image

- after dropping off Renfeld Raven was tasked with dealing with a couple of renegade mages.  Prebek and Sanasha both died before realising an invisible intruder had broken in.  Raven then switched to Arbane's sword in case a ghast got a lucky hit before reverting back to his dagger to deal with the golem.
Posted Image

- inside the Harper HQ I wasted a giant strength potion (wrongly thinking that the locked painting could be forced open with strength 25) before capturing a bird with a very sharp beak (used to impale Xzar). 

- next target was to travel to De'Arnise Keep before Nalia got fed up with waiting, but first I wanted an invisibility ring to make the journey safer so returned to the promenade.  Raven got a critical on the thief with his first hit so was able to quickly finish him off without the need for the fire-breath potion prepared. 
Posted Image
Dodging up and down stairs to avoid spells Raven used throwing daggers to finish off the rest of the group.

- on the journey Raven was ambushed by slavers and orogs.  A fire-breath potion killed most of the orogs,
 Posted Image
but not the mage who promptly dispelled Raven.  However, Lilarcor provided the necessary protection against spells while Raven worked through stoneskins with his throwing daggers (needed to keep his distance to be able to react to spells being cast or leave the map if necessary).

- the keep took a while to complete, largely because of the need to be careful with the large number of Spirit trolls there; they needed tackling under improved invisibility - so there was lots of resting required.  The yuan-ti mages were also fiddly.  Waiting for one to spot an invisible Raven allowed him to get a free attack, but as the mage buffs then immediately fired, making it invulnerable to anything Raven could offer, that didn't do much good.
Posted Image

There were also a number of rests required to hack the iron golem to pieces. 
Posted Image

There was another mistake with the umber hulks when one of them saw Raven before Raven saw him and Raven was exposed to confusion without Lilarcor equipped.
Posted Image

Torgal was isolated from the others, as he could see through invisibility, and Raven then worked through various types of trolls,  yuan-ti mages and an umber hulk elder over several days.  The only scare was when I got a bit bored with the last of the yuan-ti mages and continued an engagement after improved invisibility wore off - relying on item immunities for protection.  Raven had no counter to a flesh to stone spell and the best saving throw he could get was 3 (which included putting on the cursed Claw of Kazgoroth), but luck favoured him again.
Posted Image

All the XP on offer at the keep got Raven up through both level 10 and 11 and over half-way through level 12.  However, he's been living on his luck rather too much for comfort, so I'll have to try and tighten up the play if he's going to have a chance for a good run.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Final update for Raven. To get the last bit of XP needed for level 13 I thought I would try and solve the skinner murders. Raven was fighting the bone golem and trying to finish it off without using any healing potions. He had 61 HPs left and had already been hit a couple of times by the golem for about 20 HPs so I thought he would be safe from another hit, but that proved not to be the case as his luck ran out. Should have gone to get a ioun stone earlier!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
That's too bad Grond0. I would have loved to see Raven trashing the enemies in ToB. A level 13 kensai/thief with UAI and spike traps would have had lots of offensive power.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
First Official Update...

Da'Vid Human Sorcerer str 15, dex 13, con 18, int 16, wis 15, cha 10 semi random stats

Cleared Irenicus dungeon with few troubles, forgot to get one of the keys which ultimately required triggering the scorcher trap. How i manage not to grab that key is beyond me as it in the room with khalid if i recall. Oh well too lazy to back track for it so I just pressed forward. Tried to kill the vampire but silly thieves casted a horror spell on her forcing her to flee before i could finish her. Took out the frustration on the remaining bandits.

At this point I went on a shopping spree far as coins goes. Don't recall ever having 4k coins after leaving irenicus dungeon. Then again I probably had just never payed much attention.

Current party is Minsc, Jaheira, and Yoshimo...

Up next will be the circus, must likely will have Aerie join the party until I pick up Vicona and Korgan, Playing as Chaotic Neutral allows the pc have evil aligned party members without conflicts.

morbidest2

morbidest2
  • Members
  • 390 posts

Krazy Solo wrote...

, Playing as Chaotic Neutral allows the pc have evil aligned party members without conflicts.

Do you have the Happy Party Mod, or the equivalent, installed.? Otherwise the usual bickering, quitting, and murdering between Keldorn and Viconia, Aerie and Viconia, Minsc and Edwin, etc., will go on. Simiilarly party Rep, not the PC's alignment, will determine whether evil NPCs leave at rep=19 and good NPCs at rep=2. Won't end until ToB starts

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Aedan, now a level 24 thief. During the course of the described events, all PCs got their first HLA (Argus got two). All the thieves took UAI, the Clerics Deva/Fallen Deva and Phobos Hardiness.

Illithid City:

With 6 Chaotic Command spells, summoned skeleton warriors and more or less effective ranged weapon users, I didn't even have to rest in this place. After killing the ogre, the group, lead by Phobos, quickly explored the whole area, fighting through mind flayers, ullithardis and umber hulks, until they found the elder brain.

The brain golems proved to be very deadly for Argus (he died instantly, only 2 hits that happened at the exact same time were neccessary).
However, with Shakti now in position the golems couldn't hurt anyone anymore, and the mind flayers were no challenge anyway, so the room was cleared rather quickly.

Back at Athkatla, the group forged Crom Faeyr for Andrastos & the Equalizer for Phobos. New weapons, yay!

Suldanessalar was, once again, a place for Shakti to tank the golems, while Crom Faeyr did a good job at dealing some extra damage. While the group was fighting those, Andrastos sent in some Skeleton warriors against the Rakshasa. Adamantite golems were more challengeing, but Shakti had enough Stoneskin+MI spells to last a very long time. I actually didn't realize skeleton warriors could hurt adamantite golems! You learn a new thing every run!

After I sent in a Skeletton, the Nabassu killed the drow mage, making an extended mage duel unneccesary. With some effective buffs, Demin was saved, not taking any damage at all. Now it was time to challenge the dragon, one of my major personal enemies (he once ended a promising no-reload attempt - and was indirectly responsible for ending another one by permanently killing a crucial character). This turned out to be the easiest kill of this beast I had ever done - After buffing and summoning Skeletons, Phobos charged with the Dragonslayer. A quick breach by Shakti, and there was seemingly nothing the dragon could do to stop my party from damaging him (ranged weapon users didn't care about being entangled). He summoned insects on Shakti, she ran away to avoid them spreading, but she ended up resisting it anyway. Before the spell even landed, the Dragon was already dead.

I used the three items to summon the avatar and entered the palace. Took out the fire elementals with the wave, the others in a regular fight, and set some traps around irenicus, killing him instantly - this might seem cheesy, but considering that a single Deva beats this version of Irenicus in a one on one it was simply quicker than summoning the wizard to death with whatever the party had.

In hell, I chose the good paths (I'm not familiar with any of the evil choices, so I didn't want to risk it). For the beholders, I had skeleton warriors and Phobos with the shield ready (he only stood there to deflect the rays, because he didn't want to be imprisoned)

Now it was time for the final battle. Used all my castable buffs (but forgot to use potions), summoned skeleton warriors, set up traps (they ended up being completely useless, because he didn't die, teleported away and regenerated to full health) and prepared in any other way possible.

The party quickly had to retreat as soon as the battle started, and Irenicus' Death Spel took out 1 or 2 Skeletons - time to summon the freshly gained Fallen Deva. With this powerful ally, Phobos and the ranged weapon users quickly took out all of the demons one by one, and used healing potions whenever Irenicus managed to hurt someone.

Argus gained a level up after the demons were dead and chose assassination, which he promtly used, and the resulting damage was enough to finish a debuffed irenicus (breach spells, arrows of dispelling).

Aedan also trapped Illasera and completed the first challenge before I ended the session.

So far so good - SOA is done, but ToB will be much harder. Shakti isn't leveling fast enough, she only recently gained level 7 mage spells. I'll have to use the thieves more often.

Also, Phobos, as expected, got around 50% of the kills with the other half evenly distributed. I think Andrastos and possibly Argus might be catching up in ToB, though.

Another thing: I won't be using UAI to its fullest potential - I don't want to turn my thieves into mages. I will use things like druid only or paladin only items, though (Aedan for example is wearing the Paladins bracers right now, and Argus has Carsomyr and the Staff of Woodlands ready if I need more fodder). I will also try not to overuse spike traps in ToB, we shall see if they are neccessary.

Edited by Enuhal, 10 February 2012 - 10:36 PM.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts

morbidest2 wrote...

Krazy Solo wrote...

, Playing as Chaotic Neutral allows the pc have evil aligned party members without conflicts.

Do you have the Happy Party Mod, or the equivalent, installed.? Otherwise the usual bickering, quitting, and murdering between Keldorn and Viconia, Aerie and Viconia, Minsc and Edwin, etc., will go on. Simiilarly party Rep, not the PC's alignment, will determine whether evil NPCs leave at rep=19 and good NPCs at rep=2. Won't end until ToB starts

If you missed my original intro post, I play pure vanilla.  The party squables will not be a problem as I don't play on picking up Keldorn or Edwin.  I plan on picking up Valygar or Haer'Dalis to replace Minsc.  My plan is to have Vicona, Korgon, Valygar or Haer'Dalis, Yoshimo/Imoen, Jaheira, Myself for most of game.  I may drop Jaheira for Cernd if I pick up Valygar or Haer'Dalis earlier than anticipated.

I normally roleplay my characters so they act according to there personality rather than power gaming.  Game is so old that you can power game any class in a NoReload to the end.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD15;

@Grond0 Sorry but Luck is no Lady!

I needed to work on my rep but I popped into The Adventurer's Mart and grabbed
“Dak'kon's Zerth Blade” & “Sensate Amulet” before leaving for the Druid Grove.

We stream-rolled the trolls and puss without much effort & Jaheira claimed the right of challenge (despite not actually being a druid) then we returned to a now open Trademeet and gave them the good news... +1 rep (10).

I purchased “Dwarven Thrower +3”, “Tansheron's Bow +3”, “Cloak of Displacement” & “Belt of Inertial Barrier” for yours truly before Jenia begged me to save her snivelling coward spawn... A heroine’s tasks are never done it seems but Do’Dad had the ‘Lesser Restoration’ handy & I still needed the rep, +1 for saving the girl (11) then I collected the tomb key off Lord Alibakkar and Do’Dad turned the warriors... gave the “Mantle of Waukeen” to the Mayor +1 rep (12) before killing Skarmaen for his “Elven Chain Mail”.
p.s. Now I'm flat broke. :wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 11 February 2012 - 07:02 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD16;

I wanted to clear out the Temple Ruins before confronting Bodhi so my first challenge came from the nameless Lich guarding the Lightstone Symbol... Do’Dad turned his buddies but the lich used a ‘Greater Malison’/ ‘Sphere of Chaos’ combo to turn my tank into a squirrel.

@ Jaheira (squeak, squeak) retreat.

We retreated across the lava and held him at the door by spoon feeding him peons until all his buffs ran out, at which point he cloaked and retreated (smart) back the Lightstone Symbol room where he must have forgotten how to spell "Amunator" (not so smart)... death by spelling error is certainly a noteworthy demise.

Dragon hunting 1:01... position, setting, locality.

IMO Thaxll'ssillyia is the easiest of the lizards because there is a handy archway on the north wall that he can’t fit his body under. Amber laid traps, I opened the show with a two ‘Lower Resistance’ whilst  Jaheira locked out his casting with ‘Insect Plague’. Round two & round three Do’Dad gutted him with ‘Lightning Bolt’ & then he moved forward onto Ambers traps... game over.

SCS improved shade lord... IMO the two keys to this battle are ‘turn undead’ & ‘Repulse Undead’ i.e. definitely bring your Cleric.

Step 1/ Round 1, Do’Dad moves up next to the altar... this is the sweet spot (see screenshot) because the Shade Lord & Shade Patrick get tossed away from each other & the shadow summons get turned nippily upon arrival.

Step 2, Jaheira moves to pin the Shade Lord with help from his own (turned) shadows whilst everyone else concentrates fire until the altar collapsed... I did have some trouble finding poor Shade Patrick but we dispatched him whilst he struggled to free himself from a tangle of roots.

Step 3, Jaheira had to retreat/ heal so Do’Dad used his skellys (the high magic resistance helps against his ‘Blade Barrier’) to hold the Shade Lord whilst we finished him off from range.

p.s.  Told Lloyd that my payment should be just the leather +1 rep (13).:wub:

Edited by ussnorway, 12 February 2012 - 03:29 AM.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Final Update...

Cleared the Circus with no problem, picked up Aerie for the time being. Head to government district picked up the quest for Valygar and head to dock district payed a visit to Shadow Thieves, accepted there quest. Stopped in Valygar place found there location he at. Join Maevar's guild, did his initiates quest retrieving the talos amulet. Got ambushed by the slaver group collected the gear. Started Edwins quest. This where things turned sour. Apparently I forgot about the Stone Golems on the second floor. They obliterated Minsc and chunked yoshimo. By the time i realize they are weak to MMM it was costly. Progressed to third floor only to realize no one had dispell or other magic breaching abilities. As a result my first no reload ended horribly bad due to my forgetfulness of the quest i was doing.

I will be rejoining with another toon will post information at a later date.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Krazy Solo: Rayic Gethras has stopped quite a few no-reload runs, so you are in good company. Not one to underestimate for sure, mainly due to his fireball/sunfire (not sure which he does) and of course his finger of death.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
@corey_russell: I do believe he does all three at one point or another, as well having truesight, improved invisibility, and GoI. Was the fact i didn't learn dispell or detect invisible on any of party members that screwed me over. As I recall Rayic Gethras is fairly weak as far as hp goes.

I've decided on Human Shapeshifter with random roll maybe, i'll probably roll three times take the best one of those. Will be interesting none the least. Unmodded Shapeshifter will rely more on spells later in game in some battles.

Edit: I scrapped the shifter playthrough at least for now...  Think I really want to beat the game with a caster.  So i might go with pure mage no specialist or wild mage.  Or I might go with Archer Kit, but I'm undecided atm.  My only concern with archer not knowing how ToB reacts to em.

Edited by Krazy Solo, 15 February 2012 - 02:43 AM.