• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Gem Hound

Gem Hound
  • Members
  • 118 posts
First Update for Firecam Bornhald
((I was running two at the same time))
Elven Assassin((Soloed Baldur's Gate 1))str 19, dex 19, const 18, int 19, wis 4, char 10
Level 12
OL: 70
FT: 75
PP: 35
MS: 35
HIN: 100
DI: 0
ST: 40
Backstab*4
On the second floor of Irenicus's Dungeon now and easily working my way up.

Firecam reached the surface. Imoen was taken with Irenicus and the cowled wizards and Firecam ran into a tent. He helped an ogre/elf named Aerie and leveled up. Aerie became party member number 2.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Gem Hound, 15 February 2012 - 07:27 PM.

gunman78

gunman78
  • Members
  • 44 posts
Later edit: moved to BG1 forum

Edited by gunman78, 15 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Gunman -- you posted your report in the wrong thread. This thread is for Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. In the BG 1 and Tales of the Sword Coast Official Campaigns forum there is no reload thread that this update should be posted. Thanks.

gunman78

gunman78
  • Members
  • 44 posts
Ooops. Sorry! Moved to the other forum.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
First and Final report for Umbra - level 11 bounty hunter.

After working very hard to get through BG1 she didn't even make it out of Irenicus' dungeon.  Obviously used up all my concentration at the earlier stage.

She killed off the mephits OK, which is my normal problem, but failed against the thieves just before the exit.  She had sent in a couple of special traps from out of sight range and then showed herself to review the effect.  A glance at the screen text assured me that all the opponents were either dead or held, so Umbra moved forward for clean-up - only to be greeted by a one-shot backstab.
Posted Image

It was a pretty small consolation that the attacking thief died himself an instant after making the fatal backstab (as a result of a couple of back-up traps).  I imagine what happened is that that thief turned hostile just after the others and thus avoided the special trap effects - an easily foreseeable problem, if I'd been concentrating morePosted Image.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Sorry for your loss, Grond0 - I know from experience that it can be really unpleasant losing a character one has played all the way through BG1 during the first few hours of SoA due to a simple concentration issue :(

Aedan and the others finally entered Saradush. After a short battle, Andrastos ressurected a man, and Aedan talked to some groups of violent humans to calm them down. Did the minor sidequests, including returning the spellbook, and bought some scrolls, the yamato, boots of speed, more cases, arrows +3 etc. I also upgraded the bladesingers chainmail and the cloak of protection +2.

The group proceeded to kill some soldiers before entering the barracks and luring some enemies out. Since the party lacks any reasonable AoE-spells that don't deal damage to allies, I even used sunray and cloak of fear against the reinforcements. Also, Phobos and Shakti cleared the prison of vampires (protection from undead, amulet of power, daystar, mace of disruption +2 etc.) without any problems.

Next, Aedan did the Kiser quest, eventually sending some skeleton warriors to fight the rogue. A fallen deva helped with the mage.

The clerics summoned aerial servants and more skeleton warriors as soon as the group entered the sewers, and the party started killing all of the soldiers. When entering the central area, Shakti used mass invisibilty to protect the party from shadows, and Andrastos walked through the area to turn all of the undead. Through the secret door, the group entered the palace and started clearing the three easy rooms.

When Aedan opened the locked door, however, the alarm rang and all of the guards charged the party. The hostile fighters, equipped with oils of speed, quickly managed to kill Phobos, but not before he could summon Ras and Shakti could summon mordenkaines sword. The two magical swords distracted the enemies, while Aedan used the paladin bracers to revive the barbarian and the party started killing the enemies with backstabs. The death could have easily been avoided (actually, the main reason was the slightly delayed time needed to consume nuts from the tree of life). My main problem here is that Ras seems to have disappeared permanently... nowhere on the ground, nowhere on any character. That's not very good, since it's very useful to have against physically effective enemies.

Anyway, the party still didn't need to rest. The clerics used all of the major buffs (and since Phobos is dualwielding the Equalizer and Belm right now, he has 9 apr with improved haste), and the thieves planted a couple of traps. The group went upstairs and lured one of the fighters into the traps after killing another one of them within seconds. Upon reentering, detect illusions and some attacks were enough to finish the remaining foes.

After resting at pocket plane, buffing with all the spells available and returning to the palace, the party challenged Gromnir.
The basic setup: Shakti with her great casting speed will summon a fallen deva to distract Gromnir and the mages, Andrastos will start summoning skeleton warriors and the remaining 4 party members will take out the soldiers and thieves coming from behind. Everything was ready for the timestop, and with Shakti's true sight, the party quickly defeate the final thief. Since Gromnir defeated the deva and skeleton warriors, Phobos buffed with hardiness and charged, while Shakti managed to breach Karun. The party quickly defeated these two final foes, sold the loot and reentered the pocket plane.

I really need to get more experience for Shakti. Luckily, having a barbarian with hardiness and Gromnir's helmet will help a lot when fighting fire giants.

Edited by Enuhal, 16 February 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Nice going Enuhal. Just realised I skipped the Saradush sewers in my multiplayer session.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Melani, True Neutral Female Half-Elf Sorcerer, Str 7, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 10 Quarterstaff and Darts profiencies. Completely randomized character since i couldn't make up my mind what to play. For the most part now horribly bad but could have been better. Fortunately enough to be a caster that doesn't rely on stats for casting spells. The 14 Con will be helpful at least. 7 Str means I'll be relying on party to do most of the looting.

Hopefully I get lucky and make it through to the end. Would be one hell of a run concidering I've got little to no experience with end game casters so i might pick up some spells that aren't worth the spell slots, but the most part i'll be going with what i think is helpful over effecient.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Aedan continues his adventures. Meanwhile, all the thieves learned assassinate and a thorn trap, Phobos got another Hardiness and the clerics energy blades. Also, Phobos is dualwielding Flail of Ages +4 / Kundane now, Argus Celestial Rage +3 and Belm.

North Forest: The party entered the area, only to be fighting lots of soldiers with the help of skeleton warriors. Phobos proceeded to lure the fire giants to the party, and they were deafeated quickly by ranged weapons. With the help of the skeleton warriors and Gromnir's helmet, they cleared the rest of the area, including the officers and some additional fire giants.

The Temple: With 5 Skeleton warriors, the group approached the greater wraith. They quickly used 3 sunrays (daystar, Andrastos' casted sunray, helm of intelligence) and all the undead were defeated. Andrastos apporoached the next group with turn undead, but the more dangerous foes were still standing. However, a fallen deva took care of things. Aedan talked to the witch and retreated to the pocket plane.

Watcher's Keep level 1: Since I only explored the very first room in SoA, it was time to finally finish this level. Phobos and Skeleton warriors, with Aedan searching traps, easily defeated all enemies around the area, while the other thieves started to set up traps for the statues. The other group of statues was also quickly defeated with traps and skeleton warriors, and the group procceeded downstairs. Aedan also had Cespenar upgrade all the new items.

Watcher's Keep level 2: While the party cleared the libraries, some kind of vampiric mist managed to kill Achilleus, but Aedan simply raised him with paladin bracers. Other than that, there weren't any problems. I collected all things dealing fire damage and casted protection from lightning on all of the party members, allowing everyone to enter and clean up the air room. With the sceptre, they blew the cloud out of the poison room and attacked the serpent. It managed to hit and stun Phobos, but was stunned by Celestial Rage and killed rather quickly. The cloud blew into the ice room, and protected by a green scroll, Phobos (having to use 2 potions) defeated the golem and the mists with ranged weapon support. After luring the fire elementals to their death, Andrastos cast protection from fire on him, and with Hardiness, he charged the fire giant.

I equipped everyone with fire weapons (firetooth dagger and crossbow, tuigans with arrows of fire, flail of ages, wand of heavens, flame strike, fire bullets etc.) and planted 3 spike traps, then Phobos freed the chromatic demon in ice golem form. Sadly, the spike traps killed him instantly.
Talked to Yakman and returned to pocket plane, I will do Yaga Shura, Amkethran and Sendai before entering the keep again. Also had Cespenar upgrade Flail of Ages, the horned helmet, circlet of nesseril and bard's gloves (which are actually still useful for my thieves because of the ac bonus in addition to the etw0).

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD17;

@Krazy Solo, good luck... spell picks is as much about game play as anything else.

@Grond0 sorry m8.

@Enuhal. Wow you're setting a fast pace.

It’s been a patchy week for adventuring so I’ll try to just hit the highlights. After saying ciao to Lloyd I swapped Jaheira for Valygar (temporary) and opened the Sphere before reacquiring her for my upcoming grave yard visit.

I see dead people;

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Bodhi gave me a minor scare when she didn’t kidnap Haer'Dalis but apparently that’s normal so I cloaked and basically allowed Jaheira to solo the place with her “Mace of Disruption +2”/ “Shield of Harmony +2” combo, Do’Dad assisted by turning most of her Vampires and Grimwarders bodyguards against her and having Drizzt along was just overkill... this battle left me feeling wrong footed because in effect I just cleared the Temple Ruins for nothing, although I reached level 16 and the new shadow dragon armour is still nice to have.

Harper madness;

After discovering a strange bird in the aviary I allowed my teammates to lay traps before leaving but regrettably for Xzar the bird was a female assassin named Lucette and for my part Jaheira was bullied into a kangaroo court which was held at the sight of my previously laid traps... how fortuitist. In fact the only scare came when more Harper buddies tried to avenge the loss of their headquarters raid with an ambush at Waukeen's Promenade I dispatched the harpers easily enough but I almost killed an Amnish Guard in the chaos, however, Amber managed to save the day with her collection of weird disabling effects so as not to kill-off my rep.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Sorry about your "surprise" Grond0 -- Better luck next time.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Another update:

Marching Mountains:
Shakti used improved haste on Phobos, and the group attacked the chinchilla + the other bhaalspawn. Got all of them except for the goblin, who managed to flee. For the giants outside, Phobos used Gromnir's helmet, Hardiness and protection from fire. Even though he's immune to fire and bludgeoning damage with those buffs, Phobos still took damage from those giants - and I have no idea why. When I had the same setup with Isis, another barbarian, she took no damage at all - do fire giants deal another type of damage as well in vanila ToB? Seems strange.

Yaga Shura's Lair:
The party entered with mass invisibilty active to get in a better position after Aedan disabled some traps. Phobos' 9 apr with improved haste started really coming into play here with tough physical opponents, and with the flail of ages, the giants were quickly defeated.
The group, after disarming some more traps, went upstairs to fight the other really big fire giant group in the dungeon. Since Phobos' fire protection expired, he was badly hurt, but with another improved haste spell and a heal spell by Shakti, the group regained control.

Some skeleton warriors helped the group deal with the fire trolls and some golems. For salamanders, burning men etc. Shakti summoned a fallen deva, but Argus got surrounded and died (he still has only 67 hitpoints and his ac is horrible...) before the group could slay the remaining enemies. Paladin bracers, again. The same summons assisted with the bone fiends before the fallen deva expired.

With a regular deva and some more skeleton warriors, the party challenged some flaming skulls and burning men, well protected from fear, so the whole area could be cleared without resting. I wanted to regain some protection from fire spells now, though, so before entering the next part of the building, Aedan returned to the pocket plane.

Back again, Phobos tanked the approaching fire giants, and with improved haste, he quickly focused Beren and managed to kill him before he could do anything threatening. With hardiness, he resisted the remaining giants, allowing the party to take them out.

Now, the clerics protected everyone from fire and fear effects, and the group charged Imix, killing him quickly and obtaining the hearts and the treasure. Back to the temple!

The Temple II:
The fight against the witch started with some previously planted traps going off. The remaining shambling mounds seemed to deal no bludgeoning damage, because they managed to almost kill Phobos, but since they were slowed by the flail of ages, the barbarian managed to kite them. Time for Yaga Shura himself!

Yaga Shura:
The clerics buffed cc and death ward, improved haste for Phobos and mass invisibilty, allowing them to march through the camp. Phobos hit Yaga Shura to make him retreat, ignoring the surrounding soldiers. When he reappeared, the barbarian lured the bhaalspawn away from his officers (especially the mage), and with the well-protected flailwielder taking all of the hits, the party turned around and everyone attacked Yaga Shura. The fire giant died within ~2 rounds, and all of his soldiers disappeared with him.

Back at the pocket plane, Aedan comissioned a couple of new items from Cespenar, and the party entered the Oasis. They charged the soldiers with the help of a deva, and a few seconds later, the area was almost cleared. The Answerer +4 is now in the capable hands of Phobos.

I really need more profiency points for Phobos and Argus to make them more flexible, and Shakti still can't cast any level 8 mage spells - I have the feeling I won't reach mage-HLA status with her for Draconis... which is bad - if I even get that far, because after Amkethran (where I hopefully won't die), Sendai and the rest of Watcher's Keep will be next.

Edited by Enuhal, 17 February 2012 - 09:53 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD18;

I want to beef up a bit before doing my stronghold (the Sphere) so  someone suggested upgrading the FoA with the head from level 2 of Watcher's Keep... @Enuhal thanks for the idea.

Tomb raiding:

The first level was pretty easily accomplished with my two tanks effectively immune to undead but it didn’t go all my own way when an unlucky save resulted in Haer'Dalis getting imprisoned & to make matters worse I had to hike back to Waukeen's Promenade to get more ‘Freedom’ scrolls... the things I do for love.

The second level was a case of using the right person for the job;

The air mists are undead so Do’Dad tanked them whilst Haer'Dalis (immune to poison) apologised by tanking the mutated spiders for me. Jaheira had a near call against the Sand Golems but fortunately the two remaining Iron  Golems got themselves stuck in each other’s way, I just nuked the Fire giants with ‘Death Fog’ & Haer'Dalis slipped past the snake to close the door behind/ trap him.

The boss picked air so Amber & Do’Dad poisoned him whilst Haer'Dalis spin-tanked him then I asked Do’Dad to ‘Heal’ Yukman so he would start making sense but I’m stopping here because I have the items I needed and it’s time to go visit Cromwell and get my boyfriends’ gloves made... ok you’re forgiven sweetie. :wub:

Bugs & issues report:

Recipe = Wondrous Gloves

Correct Ingredients = the Bard's Gloves, a Diamond, an Emerald, a Rogue Stone, a Ruby, a Sapphire, and 10,000 GP... since this is a scripting bug I just used shadow to make the gloves & remove the items/ money from my inventory.

Edited by ussnorway, 17 February 2012 - 11:26 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

ussnorway wrote...
The boss picked air so Amber & Do’Dad poisoned him whilst Haer'Dalis spin-tanked him then I asked Do’Dad to ‘Heal’ Yukman so he would start making sense but I’m stopping here because I have the items I needed and it’s time to go visit Cromwell and get my boyfriends’ gloves made... ok you’re forgiven sweetie. :wub:

Bugs & issues report:

Recipe = Wondrous Gloves

Correct Ingredients = the Bard's Gloves, a Diamond, an Emerald, a Rogue Stone, a Ruby, a Sapphire, and 10,000 GP... since this is a scripting bug I just used shadow to make the gloves & remove the items/ money from my inventory.

Cespenar normally forges those, although I understand Cromwell can if the item randomizer is installed.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Yes I’m using tweaks to allow it but the gloves have a script error & I can’t make them in game... technically it’s not a game stopping bug because I could have waited until ToB and made the gloves then so if anyone objects to my using shadowkeeper to force the transaction then I’ll edit the save file & take it back.

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items: v9

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
No wasn't objecting just wanted to check. I like the idea of numbering your updates, helps to keep track of them.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD19;

Katana hunting:

Posted Image

Imoen had her sweet little pink heart set on owning “Celestial Fury” so it’s off to the Guarded Compound (Temple District) we go, we go. After getting the standard “Bugger off or else” speech I moved everyone into one of the side rooms & sent a cloaked Jaheira out to investigate things.

@Jaheira,  ‘“o look, a Glabrezu... lucky for me that I have my “Sensate Amulet” on.”’

The nasty little bugger wanted to taste my tainted blood but he couldn’t get past the annoying Weibchen that was stuck in the doorway.

My stairway to heaven:

I started with my standard buffs; Traps, ‘Barkskin’, ‘Shield’, ‘Blade Barrier’, ‘Invisibility, 10' Radius’, with Imoen & Amber detecting traps... added ‘Protection From Evil, 10' Radius’ just in case they had any more demon friends.

Round 1, Imoen remove the traps, Jaheira sent out a ‘Insect Plague’ & the others attacked/ summoned peons... note that I remained invisible & moved back to the steps in order to avoid the SCS (backstab) target fixation.

I managed to kill Koshi & Olaf with concentrated attacks before my Golem died to a freakish critical which turned the odds against me. Both Sion and I still had good spells but if I’d break stealth then Ketta would almost certainly finish my run with a one shot backstab... time to go guys.

The rematch:

They were too smart to follow me down the stairs (only peons) so I rested up in the nearby sewers & reset my traps/ buffs before returning to kill Stalman & Maferan. Imoen managed to defeat Kettas’ stealth but Sion flipped the hole table over before I could capitalise on her weakness by summoning a Pit Fiend * ... time to leave.

Now to settle their hush!

Posted Image Posted Image

Since the PF is a summon he followed me down (was dispatched) & we re-climbed the stairs in good order but my own adds un-summoned as soon as we re-entered the fight. The guys finally eliminated Ketta & now it’s Sion and me mano-a-mano;
Round 1, He cast ‘Protection From Magical Weapons’ & I cast ‘Pierce Shield’.
Round 2, He cast ‘Symbol, Death’ @ Amber (she saved) & I cast ‘Spell Trigger’**... he didn’t save.

P.s. I stopped by the Temple of ILMATER & mentioned the news about Yoshimo on my way to the Sphere... stay tuned. :wub:

* I know what you’re thinking and yes it is a demon i.e. can’t target objects with ‘Protection From Evil’ up however, he has a powerful fireball attack & can legally target the ground in a similar way to the Iron Golem and their gas cloud attacks... the bottom line is I needed room to spread out.
** ‘Lower Resistance’, ‘Greater Malison’ & ‘Ray of Enfeeblement’.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Update 1...

Melani starts the adventure with only 23 hps can you imagine that how unlucky can i get. So i'm pretty much on babysitter mode have minsc set to spellcaster defender for safty. Regardless of the poor hp roll as Melani lvled up shortly after having Imoen crack the safe in the jailers store room. 1 hp gain putting Melani at 24 hp. Cleared all of the first floor only resting twice. Second floor we wipe the floor of the mephits in what seems like 20 secs. MMM is definately gonna be my go too spell vs magic resistant targets.

Not much alse to comment on except after leaving CI 3 of the 4 gained a lvl. Melani only got 1 hp again putting the total at 25. Definately gonna need to find that Familiar scroll ASAP, but worst case scenario I'll just learn the spell since I only really use MM as only mainstay first lvl spell, chrome orb atm is not effiencient enough to use.

The group sells all the loot and buy the necessary supplies needed for storing gems and scrolls, gonna need them later when Imoen rejoins later as you know. This is gonna be rocky start as any critical hit gonna send me back to the drawing board if you know what i mean.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Krazy Solo wrote...
Melani starts the adventure with only 23 hps can you imagine that how unlucky can i get. So i'm pretty much on babysitter mode have minsc set to spellcaster defender for safty. Regardless of the poor hp roll as Melani lvled up shortly after having Imoen crack the safe in the jailers store room. 1 hp gain putting Melani at 24 hp. Not much alse to comment on except after leaving CI 3 of the 4 gained a lvl. Melani only got 1 hp again putting the total at 25.

That's the penalty for not having a high constitution with a mage-typePosted Image.  A sorceror starting in BG2 has 89,000 XP, i.e. is at 7th level.  Their average HPs will be 4 + (6 x 2.5) = 19.  Thus 23 was actually a very good roll for starting XP.  The average at 9th level is 24, so you're still fractionally ahead of the game.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Amkethran:

Aedan fought  some monks and mercenarys to complete the minor quests here. Before fighting Vongoethe, the group buffed extensively.

His Dragon's Breath ended up killing Achilleus (Shakti managed to run out of range, Aedan has 90% fire resistance), but with the death wards active on all party members and the reflection shield against the archers active, the group eventually defeated the lich. For extra experience, the group killed some more creatures, including some air elementals and fissure slimes (wand of fire/of heavens).

Sendai's Enclave:
The group walked into the trap with some skeleton warriors summoned (death spell killed them all), and procceeded to lure the drow warriors back to kill them without being endangered by magic. After that, with a fallen deva and improved haste on Phobos, the whole map was cleared of any dark elves.

Sendai's Lair:
Some umberhulks tried to stop the party's progress. With a few buffs, they obtained the key to the slave & spider tunnels. With Shakti's mass invisibilty, they passed all the slaves to kill their leader, stopping the constant respawn. Also defeated the spiders with Vongoethe's new ring for Andrastos.

A couple of drowgroups later and after exploring around the Lich's lair, a Deva defeated the undead wizard without any trouble. Mordenkains Sword tanked Ogremoch, and some skeleton warriors were sent to fight the drow priestress and her allies. She eventually killed them all, with only her and the hive mother left, but with Phobos and a lot of potions those two were defeated as well.

Egeissag was defeated by Aedan in a one on one using the staff of striking and assassinate. With cc and skeleton warriors, the mind flayers died quickly, so only Sendai was left.

I rested, forged some items and learned some extra summoning spells (lots of summon deva/fallen deva ). Buffed with cc, deathward, protection from evil 3m, improved haste for Phobos etc. I kept Aedan away from both summoned drow and the Sendais and tried to focus and the reinforcements. There was a tough spot with ~3 drow mages using sunfire and prismatic spray on the party, but a lot of healing potions and some breached helped. If possible, Shakti&Andrastos summoned a deva to deal with the wizard sendai and eventually, the final thief sendai was left.

The real sendai was no problem: Her summons were killed quickly, and soon she was alone. She couldn't deal significant damage to the party, and after a couple of breaches, Phobos eventually destroyed her.

edit: And now I finally realize, looking at Shakti's equipment, that I simply FORGOT to kill the twisted rune in SoA. Damn it, that Staff would have been so useful for the thieves :(

Edited by Enuhal, 18 February 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Enuhal wrote...
edit: And now I finally realize, looking at Shakti's equipment, that I simply FORGOT to kill the twisted rune in SoA. Damn it, that Staff would have been so useful for the thieves :(

Sounds like you're doing pretty well without itPosted Image.  Good luck in finishing things off.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Grond0 wrote...
That's the penalty for not having a high constitution with a mage-typePosted Image.  A sorceror starting in BG2 has 89,000 XP, i.e. is at 7th level.  Their average HPs will be 4 + (6 x 2.5) = 19.  Thus 23 was actually a very good roll for starting XP.  The average at 9th level is 24, so you're still fractionally ahead of the game.

Thats just the thing she has a 14 constitution.  If i recall that is + 2 hp per lvl?  So 8 x 4 = 32 + 16 = 48.  I only got half what a perfect roll would have gotten.  So not very good tbh.  Sorcerer start at lvl 7, then gain lvl 8 asap after gaining a few experience, then lvl up again after leaving initial dungeon.  So enter the open world at lvl 9 so add in possibility of having close to 54 potential hp you see my start has been somewhat lackluster, true could be worst.  I could have gotten worst constition score be lower than 20 hp.  It just gonna be major concern when playing her since her low initial hp total gonna force me to babysit her during boss battles.  Meaning I'm gonna want animate dead and the other summons for dragon fights ect...

In the end it wont matter much since a naked sorcerer can solo the game on insane.

Edited by Krazy Solo, 19 February 2012 - 01:28 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
UD20;

@Krazy Solo, Ormaline is currently a level 17 sorceress with 11 con & familiar she weighs in at 59 hit points, however IMO if you can get Melani up above 90 then life will be considerably easier for you.

A place to rest my head:

First things first, the only thing better than a Cleric for DPS is two Clerics so I decided that “Vhailor's Helm” would give Do’Dad a bit of an extra edge. The three preliminary battles gave me a nice warm up;
Jaheira ran around the fish room to get their attention before leaving/ shutting the door on them < now Amber lays her traps > then we open the door and yell surprise! Do’Dad mopped the floor of Halflings while I kicked in Kayardis’ defences with ‘Pierce Shield’ & Amber dispatched the bulk of the spiders (Golem machine room) with traps.

Mage Vs. Cleric, part one:

Phase 1, Do’Dad put up ‘Blade Barrier’, ‘True Seeing’ & ‘Sanctuary’ before walking into the room/ standing next to the Halfling guards but SCS won’t let the mages engage until he breaks stealth so “Vhailor's Helm”* gave Necre & Taibela a target dummy without risking the real one.
Phase 2, Do’Dad (both of them) started flooding the small room with layers of ‘Cloudkill’ from his “Abyssal Pipe” then Do’Dad cast ‘Storm Shield’ while the copy closed both exits before finally succumbing to assorted attacks.
Phase 3, Do’Dad uses his innate ‘Lightning Bolt’s to finish off both mages while they choke on the clouds’ damage.

Mage Vs. Cleric, part two:

Jaheira & Do’Dad teamed up against Tolgerias then Lavok fell to a one/ two combo of ‘Creeping Doom’ & ‘Fire Storm’ before collecting the necessary Tanar'ri heart to claim my new home.

Bugs & issues report:

Posted Image

At first I thought that Jaheira fell victim to the old damage bug but a double check of the roster confirmed the legality i.e. Lavok sure got good value out of his ‘Spell Sequencer’ (three times ‘Flame Arrow’) = 141 damage. :?

* Still suffers from the naming bug i.e. the copy is named Ormaline despite actually being Do’Dad.

Edited by ussnorway, 19 February 2012 - 02:09 AM.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
Thanks @Grond0. It's not a big deal, I simply don't like the fact that I forgot such a major battle in SoA because I'm somewhat of a completionist, even in no-reloads ;)

I was almost finished writing this update when firefox crashed, so I'll make it short - the screenshots mostly speek for themselves. It was an interesting session with some grave losses and great victories.

Watcher's Keep level 3:
Aedan entered the maze, fighting his way through several groups of demons:
Cornugons, pit fiends, succubi, baatezu, tana'ri and tieflings.

Eventually, the party reached the demon wraith. The fighters quickly killed the spirits while the fallen deva distracted him, and eventually Shakti (who learned to cast level 8 spells here) used pierce magic and breach, and he was defeated shortly thereafter.

Aedan won the Spectral Brand, but not the Wish Scroll.

Watcher's Keep level 4:
Some spiders, shadows and magic golems couldn't stop the group, and neither could the githyanki. Phobos used his final protection from undead scroll for the demi-lich.

Now for Saladrex. This is propably the most embarassing "fight" in all of my no-reloads (atleast in the past 2 years). Turns out that he immediatly turns hostile if someone casts any buffs around him even if you calmed him down and he's neutral.

Well, I somehow didn't know that - how could I not have known that? I try to remember if I simply never buffed inside this specific area or if I chose other dialogue options etc.... well, anyway.

The result was... not pretty - the party was completely unbuffed, and all I did was have Shakti used Stoneskin while walking back near the entrance where I wanted to set up some traps (for safety reasons, as I didn't want to just trap the neutral dragon). He was actually out of sight, but half a second later, the screen turned red and his breath weapon chunked Shakti and Achilleus - gone forever. Well, there goes my only arcane spellcaster, greatly limiting my versatility :(
Of course, I ran back, Phobos equipped dragon slayer +2, I started buffing with Andrastos (I should mention that Aedan always has 110 fire resistance since it's the most common elemental damage type - it served him well here) and the fighters, taking lots of potions, started attacking Saladrex. However, he pretty much killed Argus with two hits before the halfling could retreat (thankfully no permanent death). Using lots of potions and Hardiness, Phobos eventually managed to defeat the dragon.

The group had to loot the fallen party members' corpses, so there were some equipment readjustements to do. All in all, Achilleus' death doesn't really matter, but Shakti was a crucial party member.
Still, a no-reload isn't over until the player character dies. After selling, buying etc. the group returned to watcher's keep, killing the illithids, illithid vampires and eventually Rock&Garrock. Phobos usually has stoneskin from gargoyle boots active now and mainly uses the improved haste from the improved cloak of protection +2 (since it has the longest duration). Now, without a mage, having GWWs would have been nice, but I won't change his HLA setup since at this point he has lots of items granting him improved haste for a certain amount of time. Used the Machine of Lum to get some attribute upgrades (actually really helpful with a randomized party).

Watcher's Keep level 5:
Aedan started with the color game, summoning all the creatures and killing them mostly with traps and spiketraps (the violet orb undead were turned by Andrastos). Only had 2 spiketraps left for the hive mothers/death tyrants etc., so they had to be fought the regular way.

The orks were easy as always with protection from fire and lightning, the puzzles as well. For the dragon, I set up some spiketraps near the entrance. Trying to lure him there kind of failed since his script doesn't want him to follow the party, for some reason. Phobos was immune to his breath weapon, though, and eventually simply started attacking him with hardiness active. He only activated 1 or 2 spiketraps, but the barbarian eventually killed him.

The ghost warrior minigame was no problem.

The Final Seal:
Well, I wasn't going to take any chances here and set up 7 spiketraps for every encounter. First, I summoned the party with the succubus. The traps killed only her, and wounded the archer and the melee fighter. Not as effective as I would've hoped. Luckily, the dualwielding female fighter came first and was killed just as the archer arrived, who was focused down as well. Andrastos was busy tanking the priestress and the marilith while Phobos and Argus used their HLAs to kill the hive mother. They eventually succeeded, making the rest of the fight easy.

The next group was the one with the extraplanar beings. Spike traps only hurt some of the fighters, but with a deva and improved haste, the party quickly focused down one after the other while the mage was out of sight. Phobos, with the white dragon scale armor, was well protected from his cone of cold-spam, and with some breaches (using the several wands) their leader was eventually defeated.

For the flaming skulls, the spike traps killed all of them but one (the party was immune to fire because of Andrastos' buffs), the last one was destroyed quickly.  However, the Lich was still alive, but with the wand of spellstike this problem was solved within seconds.

Aedan decided to read the scroll. I really don't want to fight Demogorgon right now since I am not very familiar with the encounter and I don't see any reason to risk anything.

Before closing the session, I decided to take on Draconis, who is usually the most difficult enemy for all of my partys that lack arcane spellcasting (except for solo totemic druids who have more trouble with Amelyssan). Since he ended my previous attempt at the randomized party no-reload with Isis, oneshotting a barbarian with 50% acid resistance with his breath weapon, I was prepared to die.

I had stored every item with acid resistance during the game and equipped my party with all of that + scrolls (who would get dispelled anyway, but could be reused), and I used all of the useful buffs + potions of speed.
The crucial point was setting up 7 spike traps about 1,5 screens into the area to lure his dragon form into. For the human phase, I had him fight a deva while the party killed his invisible stalkers, and eventually Aedan breached him and he changed forms. He immediatly used wing buffets, kicking the group right above the traps, and, luckily, he followed the party and activated them, ending his existence - which makes this so far my most successful randomized party challenge :)

Let's see how Aedan will fare with Abazigal.

Edited by Enuhal, 19 February 2012 - 03:16 AM.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Update 2: Final....

My fears was well placed. Lost Jaheira doing the tent quest to an illusion how lovely. Head to Government district picked up valygar quest. Found Valygar agreed to help him. Entered the Planar Sphere decided to go left first. Met with a clay golem. like with the stone golems in previous run minsc dies in few hits before aerie reacted, Valygar takes critical damage and panics. Aerie and Yoshimo blocks the escape route as golem pummels Melani killing her in one hit.

I can definately say Minsc has failed my squads for the second time. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I am gonna allow him a third shout, but we will see.

Entry number 3 will be a Randomized Character again. Gail, Chaotic Neutral Female Priest of Helm, Str 18, Dex 7, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 14, HP 43, Club, Mace, Two Handed Weapon Profiencies.

Not horrible rolls, but the dex stat will mean avoiding being the main tank in battles. Definately gonna need to pick up a suitable tank as minsc is not gonna get a shot at being primary tank again. Most likely will end up adding either Keldorn or Korgon. Whatever my plans are as i get to em will be involving getting the proper group together rather than trying to do things in a sweep motion.