• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Matuse wrote...
No, that's the same trap.

Understood. It can be hard to tell when solo. I remember my avenger had trouble figuring out what the PW:K trap in the Planar Sphere was doing.

Anyhoo. If you'd like Alora and Minsc: Trap Detectives to investigate any other contraptions that may stand between you and solo glory, just give a holler: they work for hamster feed and gumdrops (especially the goody-goody variety...).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
What we need is the Gumdrop guide to traps by type.

Level Drain. e.g. trap near Sassar.
Flesh to stone. Sneak preview already shown.
Maze. e.g. Berserker horn chest.
Undetermined. Trapped wardrobe in the Pirate Lords girlfriends house.
Charm. e.g. Wisdom Pulpit in Durlags Tower (Tales of the Sword Coast).
Excessive crushing. There are two of these that I know of; 1 in Durlags Tower and 1 in Spellhold Maze.

& the expansion.

Fatal amounts of poison if not cured. e.g. Metaspell Amulet container in Irenicus' dungeon.
Best avoided by the fragile adventurer. e.g. Acid blob traps in Neb's hideout & Haegan's staircase.
etc

Not sure about the traps in Durlags Tower garden area (with the Ashirukuru) as one or two of them do a lot of repeating damage.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 8 : Pendal (Gate70, protaganist) and Thimble (Grond0).

Session 1:
Pendal gets angry when Bodhi and her vampires level-drain him and turns into the slayer, scaring them off. Two pairs of boots are manufactured from a strange machine (speed and north), meaning both of us can finally pick up the pace. We pass the (in)sanity tests to return to Spellhold where Thimble demonstrates the FoA +3 to Irenicus in great detail, and then charter Saemon Havarian to leave Brynnlaw. Thimble hands over a pirate horn to Saemon then we leave the inn before him - a known error resolved by;

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("MISC9G") which gets the horn back from him.
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("PPSAEM3") which summons him to the docks.

He hands us part of a silver sword and we soon find out why. As the ship sinks we are drawn down, and into an underwater city of caverns. Pendal decides to help a sahuagin king and at one stage Thimble is briefly mazed (I think, can't remember!) before convincing a spectator that we can have a look at the chest he is guarding. Thimble has cleared a gladiator ring of various undead while Pendal has heroically donned the cloak of mirroring. With the sahuagin prince dead and the settlement doomed to failure we grab a rope and descend into the underdark. A facet trap is emptied, allowing Thimble to shine once more and then a beholder lair is tackled. An eye stalk is quickly located but there may be other goodies so we clear most of the lair before Thimble starts taking damage. Pendal steps forward and clears all but the final group, getting stunned, dominated and held for a long time while Thimble desperately tries to distract them without getting herself killed.

With this lesson learnt we move on to an illithid fighting pit. Pendal tries to use a mind control circlet but is stunned by the illithid and Thimble realises his brain is leaking uncontrollably. She ponders for what seems like an eternity (paused) before casting invisibility on him and finishing the mind flayer. Some time later Pendal recovers (and the game text says Mind Flayer dead...Mind Flayer charmed). Another flayer is charmed to open doors and all goes well until the elder brain, illithid and brain golems kill Thimble. Pendal is all alone in a small room with at least half a dozen enemies and a locked door so he knuckles down and uses a rod of resurrection before dragging as many enemies away as he can so she can make a safe route to her gear.

Thimble performs her superhero move, re-equipping all but her armour in the blink of an eye while Pendal has thrown a potion of defence in her direction. Pendal glugs an oil of speed and adds Celestial Fury to the FoA. Once the brain is dead we deal with Simyaz and his fighting Gith before heading into the kuo-toa breeding colony. With the bottom pools cleared we head to the Demogorgon statue and kill a group of Demon Knights, although Pendal is somehow level drained (does the trap on the way in level drain as he tried to stay away from the draining knight). Pendal has to fudge around before discovering he has accidentally sold his restoration scrolls to Daglefodd in the Swirf village.

Session 2:
After dealing with the unadulterated Kuo-Toa Prince (we'll weaken him our way if you don't mind) we taint their breeding pool and clear the drow at the Underdark exit - Thimble is badly wounded and Pendal steps in to immolate himself on a fireshield and is then caught with chaos. Thimble makes a stout comeback and Pendal survives - just.

Adalon dips us in growth hormone (tastes like dragon poo) and we temporarily grow to the height of drow for the first time in our lives. Our infiltration of Ust Natha sees Phaere rescued and Lasaonar defeated but then the fight master refuses to talk further. Fine, we help Phaere with a Beholder and a Swirf helmet (peacefully obtained and then tossed aside by Pendal - so we have to return and pick it up). Phaere wants Solaufein dead but we deceive her by returning his cloak instead. We have all three items Phaere needs (elder orb eye stalk, Kuo-Toa blood, Illithid brain blood) so use the time productively by flailing and macing a lich called Deirex.

Thimble makes a quick shopping trip and steps too close to a huge tank, meaning we have to de-brain Qilue before returning to play a game of egg-switch. Thimble takes the golems as Pendal deals with the two drow egg guards, (another unfair apportionment of the work). The Matron Mother and Phaere both die from Flamestrikes and we send the demon packing before leaving the drow city for the last time. A few drow later we are speaking to Elhan, and head to the Graveyard to finish Bodhi - Pendal arriving without his mace and getting level drained. He digs out a restoration scroll and uses it after the battle is concluded.

Heavy buffing means we kill anything that moves in the vampire lair until we reach the hideout where Bodhi is waiting. Our unusual approach here sees Thimble flailing Bodhi to near death while Pendal accidentally locks himself out of the room (you've got to laugh....haven't you....Grond0?)

Eventually Pendal opens the door again by which time Bodhi is refusing to play dead so we slay all the other vampires and step away - at which point she finally relents. Thimble is a dare-devil as we leave - can you see a protection against energy in there?
Posted Image

We stake a vampire on the way out then realise Bodhi needs staking and the blood pools cleansing so return to do these two things. It seems an appropriate point to read more about Icewind Dale II but the current page says "Closed for training on Sunday - Bulwark will return once he's worked out the Battle Maze game". How strange.

So in IWD-II Bulwark is still level 12 with 575 (+39) kills and 112hp, Salde still level 12 with 330 (+22) kills and 20hp.

Pendal Fighter 18/ Illusionist 16. 212 BG1 kills. 386 (+18) BG2 kills. Adamantite golem.
Thimble Fighter 17 / Illusionist 16. 196 BG1 kills. 1229 (+196) BG2 kills. Bodhi.

Pendal has given up trying to keep pace with Thimble; she has FoA and Belm honed to perfection so he needs to focus on staying alive a bit more.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...

What we need is the Gumdrop guide to traps by type.

Level Drain. e.g. trap near Sassar.
Flesh to stone. Sneak preview already shown.
Maze. e.g. Berserker horn chest.
Undetermined. Trapped wardrobe in the Pirate Lords girlfriends house.
Charm. e.g. Wisdom Pulpit in Durlags Tower (Tales of the Sword Coast).
Excessive crushing. There are two of these that I know of; 1 in Durlags Tower and 1 in Spellhold Maze.

& the expansion.

You're talking about a lot of billable hours there Gate70. Are you sure you have the gumdrop account to back that?

They couldn't do that kind of job for less than a years worth of gumdrops. A gumdrop is 13 calories. Figure 4000 calories per day for Minsc, 2000 for Alora: 365 days per year...That's 168,461 and 1/2 gumdrops. Are you sure you're good for that? Do you direct deposit? Withhold for social security? What about dental?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 30 September 2012 - 05:49 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
If you buy in bulk then it’s cheaper...
Tip; melt it down and put it in an I-V bag... thereby bypassing the stomach lining for a PURE FIX! :wub:

p.s. a little off topic but The mine traps in BG1 can be avoided by hugging the right hand wall.

Posted Image

Edited by ussnorway, 01 October 2012 - 02:03 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Btw. Irrespective of Gate's gumdrop credit, I may have to do the trap guide simply because I found the perfect song for it.

Wouldn't it be great to see Alora and Minsc get killed by dangerous traps over and over again with this song playing in the background?

Edited by Alesia_BH, 01 October 2012 - 12:07 PM.

Matuse

Matuse
  • Members
  • 250 posts
A trap guide would be a monumental undertaking, given how many of them there are. You'd probably have to make liberal use of the control-Y instakill just to make certain experiments more bearable. It would be aggravating to have to deal with the slaver compound second floor while trying to fiddle with the traps at the top of the stairs (just as an example).

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
I'm just goofing off Matuse. At most I'd be interested in shooting 2 minutes and 16 seconds worth of trap-tripping footage- just enough to go along with the song.

Anyhoo: we're totally off topic.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Indeed. Afraid I can't afford gumdrops, the ankheg plate is still being paid for and it's now so last year in fashion terms.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Just a quick note. Forrest the fighter/illusionist and Misty the Monk and their friends (Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie) run is still going, under SCS, albeit slowly. They obtained Lilacor for Minsc without any major difficulty. The party is now pondering their next move...

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 8 : Pendal (Gate70, protaganist) and Thimble (Grond0).

We are ambushed - by half a dozen Pendal's. With seven Pendal's running around the real deal is worried that Thimble might flatten the wrong one...or the right one...you know what I mean. Yes, the Which Pendal trials - not to be confused with the Pendle Witch trials (the name was a sub-conscious choice otherwise I'd have created a female charname). Edit, & just noticed Thimble attacks Pendal, hits Thimble and kills Pendal - another multiplayer quirk by the look of it!
Posted Image

Kruin (a wild mage) is waiting for us near the Adventurers Mart. We refuse to return part of the Silver Sword and a battle ensues. Thimble takes a whack of damage and steps back while Pendal GWW's Celestial Fury with active stoneskins. Thimble returns after glugging a potion and the battle is soon ended, resulting in another part of the Silver Sword being in our possession. Thimble asks if we need it and Pendal suggests Cromwell doesn't need payment for this.

Instead a pile of money is spent at the Mart, starting with the Shield of Reflection and culminating in several level 9 scrolls. Pendal has taken most of them but shared some with Thimble. As Thimble decides to shop too she finds the same scrolls - two copies in multiplayer then, how nice. We decide not to abuse this generous offer (lie, we buy everything we can afford as level 9 spells are something to memorise in advance at any cost).

On to Watchers Keep where rumour has it that the Flail of Ages has a mythical fourth head (+7 to advantage over Pendal, damage types will be fire, cold, acid and jealousy poison) The wardstone is um, back at the Adventurers Mart so we travel to deja-vu and return henceforth. We fumble around the Keep entrance area, unable to remember what we have done earlier. After a few minutes we have everything we need and Pendal suggests ladies first.

Thimble trusts Pendal with the "bell bell book no I meant candle not book ooh that looks painful" order - 50 damage is taken and she suggests Pendal sorts it out instead. He's a slow learner today and takes three or four goes to get it right. A brief battle sees us pick up Foebane (good for an upgrade later), a second Heartseeker bow and Usuno's Blade (yawn) then we head to the second level. Thimble deals with trolls while Pendal Celestials a ruhk, then Thimble searches the room and discovers a series of traps.

We rest after memorising protection from electricity and prepare to tackle two rooms and a corridor so Thimble can keep a flail head as an early present to Cespenar. This is not the time to read about Icewind Dale II (will resume after SoA concludes as we're enjoying this too much) so we drop the BG1/BG2 split and keep it simple.

Pendal Fighter 18/ Illusionist 16. 608 kills, Adamantite golem.
Thimble Fighter 18 / Illusionist 16. 1356 kills, Bodhi.

Edited by Gate70, 01 October 2012 - 09:24 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Get out of the city would be my vote corey_russell but good luck to you any way.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

ussnorway wrote...

Get out of the city would be my vote corey_russell but good luck to you any way.

Thanks for the luck, USSNorway. Getting out of the city is what killed my last SCS run...hmmm...also my invisibility 10' doesn't last 24 hours (original BG 2 bug) so that could be a problem too...more pondering I suppose.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
What have you done, dungeon, circus, slavers isn't it. Maybe pick up the berserk warrior, sort out the graveyard / bridge kidnapping, grab the cloak of the sewers, deal with Mekrath, Mae'var, Sir Sarles, Aran Linvail. Hard to say without experience of your mods but those would seem to be the safest options.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Update of BlackStrider & Co (Bodhi' guildhall):

Even though Abigail just recently cleared the *sacred grounds* they are full of vamps and other various undeads once again so heroes' job is never done. First Pai Na and her pets. Whilst spiders fell instantly the spider's queen herself brought an interesting challenge 

Posted Image Posted Image

Then the vamps. Gellal somehow drained Jaheira's Intelligence down to 3 so she just stood in place mindlessly but that doesn't helped him. That may sound strange but I found SCS Improved Vamps Tanova easier than vanilla one. Her behaviour is completely different here and True Seeing->Breach->Azuredge brought her downfall rather quick.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Bodhi. We buffed hard, called summons and engaged. She resisted Kithrix' first Web tangle, I and Nalia both hit with Pierce Magic. I don't know whether it helped or not (or may be I just was lucky) but second Kithrix' Web connected and we all taught her some crushing and smashing lessons while she was completely helpless:

Now I hesitate what to do next - Planar Prison or Planar Sphere...:huh:

Current state:
BlackStrider - Priest of Helm (11) / Mage (12), 80 kills (Gaal);
Jaheira - Fighter (11) / Druid (13), 268 kills (Bone Golem); 1 death (by Rayic Gethras);
Nalia - Thief (4) / Mage (14), 148 kills (TorGal); 2 death (by slavers ambush, Rayic Gethras);
Viconia - Cleric (13), 6 kills (Gaius), 2 death (by Rune Assassing, Rayic Gethras);
Mazzy - Fighter (12), 98 kills (Shade Lord), 1 death (by Rayic Gethras)

to be continued...

@Corey- I have correct(ed) version of Invisibility 10' radius and can mail it to you if you wish.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 02 October 2012 - 06:35 AM.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

That may sound strange but I found SCS Improved Vamps Tanova easier than vanilla one. Her behaviour is completely different here and True Seeing->Breach->Azuredge brought her downfall rather quick.

Care to eloborate on this? What behaviour that she no longer has do you think made her more troublesome in vanilla?

Nice going, btw. Main character is an interesting class combo. 

I also like to run a 5-character party (most of the time) in BG2.

And a bonus quiz question for all thread readers: Which character in BG1 talks about Tanova?

Edited by Jianson, 02 October 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Jianson wrote...

That may sound strange but I found SCS Improved Vamps Tanova easier than vanilla one. Her behaviour is completely different here and True Seeing->Breach->Azuredge brought her downfall rather quick.

Care to eloborate on this? What behaviour that she no longer makes do you think made her more troublesome in vanilla?

Well, in my sight in vanilla she is more *lich-like* in behaviour. I remember she used the same spells and defences. Now her pre-buffs doesn't impressed me much (in comparison with other mages). She threw Remove Magic followed by Sphere of Chaos on me (which were outran quite easily) and turned into the Dire Wolf (which weakened her even further from my point of view - I threat SCS mages as the most dire enemies). On the other hand, maybe I just got lucky this time, and she did not show her full potential.

Nice going, btw. Main character is an interesting class combo. 

I also like to run a 5-character party (most of the time) in BG2.

Thanks :) This is my favorite class combo and the crew (with Imoen joined eventually).

And a bonus quiz question for all thread readers: Which character in BG1 talks about Tanova?

It was a Centeol's sad love story. With Jon Irenicus and Tanova involved.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Serg: Sure e-mail me the fixed improved invisibility. It's coreypajajosh AT hotmail.com
@Gate70: Yeah those things you listed are probably the easier ones for me to do. I think I will stay in the city a bit longer to do those.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Update of BlackStrider & Co (Planar Prison):

After long thorough thoughts we decided that Planar Prison should be a bit safer than Planar Sphere so headed there (have bought some Dispelling Arrows beforehand just in case). Welcoming party of Bounty Hunters were a little threat even though they were joined with nearby comrades. Master of Thralls last quite long (Jaheira tried to Charm one of his Air Elementals but in vain so brute force followed). Then Jaheira lured Umber Hulks away to deal with and then showed herself to Warden. He ADHW his own support, wasted some of his spells on Hakeashar, Death Spelled our summons, got Pierce Shield x2 (the first one removed his Spell Shield) followed by Breach and Mazzy made him a needles pillow with Arrows of Ice:

Planar Sphere next... I think. 

Current state:

BlackStrider - Priest of Helm (11) / Mage (13), 96 kills (Gaal);
Jaheira - Fighter (11) / Druid (13), 278 kills (Bone Golem); 1 death (by Rayic Gethras);
Nalia - Thief (4) / Mage (14), 151 kills (TorGal); 2 death (by slavers ambush, Rayic Gethras);
Viconia - Cleric (13), 9 kills (Gaius), 2 death (by Rune Assassing, Rayic Gethras);
Mazzy - Fighter (12), 120 kills (Shade Lord), 1 death (by Rayic Gethras)

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 05 October 2012 - 09:30 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Nice work Serg!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

The penultimate session (I think) of SoA is dominated by two styles. Thimble is devastating with her use of buffs and weapons while Pendal errs on the tactical side (telling her what she will be facing, and making sure he is well out of the way - most of the time).

The chromatic demon waits patiently as wind and acid chambers are cleared. Pendal chucks a spare flail head into the Bag of Holding and waves goodbye to the demon as the Keep is left (may come back in ToB, may not).

The Twisted Rune is next, with the usual Multiplayer Timestop scenario (Pendal stuck in it for twice as long as Thimble).
Posted Image

Pendal accidentally cast MMM's while buffing so took 17 meteors (10 APR) before he could Mace Shangalar. In this time Thimble has dealt with Vaxall the Elder Orb and Shyressa the vampire before moving on to Layene and a pit fiend. Pendal finishes Revanek but is mazed (thinking the game is over until Grond0 says it is OK in a party. Phew, I can never remember those little details...)
Posted Image

Thimble takes a lot of damage so moves away to heal, allowing Pendal to Celestial Boom the pit fiend and Layene lasts a couple of seconds longer. We immediately head to Elhan and are teleported to Suldanessar. Dragon ahoy - it covers Pendal with insects but Thimble flails it to the ground.
Posted Image

A gate is stubbornly shut so we decide to cast Improved Knock.
Posted Image

A brief moment to show our artistic side.
Posted Image

Thimble has pre-buffed but Irenicus uses Timestop, Spellstrike, Maze (& some others for good measure) - lucky for him as she was flailing him mercilessly.
Posted Image

Pendal is out of sight while Thimble is mazed so Irenicus picks on his mislead image.
Posted Image

Once Thimble um-mazes she is badly wounded by a delayed sequence of fireshields. Grond0 decides to move away but I suggest glugging a potion first as he may cast a spell as soon as the game unpauses and she was vulnerably low on hit points.

Thimble moves away and hurls Azuredge twice. Pendal has done nothing in the battle other than cast true Sight then Khelbens Warding Whip just in time for the second axe to confound Irenicus.
Posted Image

The Nine Hells is next. Grond0 is using his Fighter/Illusionist exceptionally well for his second foray this far into SoA and at times my only contribution is to remember what happens next (most of the time, sorry about the Rillifane statue sequence).

Pendal Fighter 19/ Illusionist 17. 627 (+19) kills, Shangalar.
Thimble Fighter 19 / Illusionist 17. 1396 (+40) kills, Bodhi.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Pendal allows himself to get angry with Sarevok (alignment changed to Lawful Evil) but chooses all the other good paths. Slayer Irenicus turns up with help, and for once Pendal kills his two enemies as quickly as Thimble kills hers. On to the main course.
Posted Image

We re-appear in a clearing surrounded by bigheads. Thimble is preparing for improved Illasera until Pendal reminds her the standard item is somewhat (completely) easier. Pendal suggests killing the reavers first as they will run away otherwise. Illasera proves easy to kill and we are transported to our own pocket plane where Cespenar upgrades the Flail of Ages and Sarevok is recruited as housekeeper. A first trial (Retribution) is a minute or two of melee then we are free to head into Saradush.

Our initial job is to re-open Lazarus Librarus and purchase a second bag of holding plus a second potion container and a robe of the good archmagi (for Thimble). Next we stop a few fights, re-home some elves and sell lots of junk at the temple before sorting our a wrongful arrest (Thimble is mazed for 5-10 seconds while looting a container). Into the sewers, a jail and the castle basement - all cleared without incident. The welcoming committee is shredded and we are ready for an audience with Gromnir.

(Both got Improved Alacrity and Planetar/Dark Planetar level 9 spells while fighting the duergar sappers).

Pendal Fighter 20/ Illusionist 18. 666 (+39) kills, Shangalar.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thimble Fighter 20 / Illusionist 18. 1506 (+110) kills, Bodhi.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Gate70, 06 October 2012 - 12:51 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Gromnir doesn't last long.
Posted Image

Nor do the soldiers attacking Karthis al-Hezzar. Or the Demon Wraith, his mists and skeletal guards. Or the guards outside the lair of Yaga Shura, or the four Bhaalspawn (although the were-rabbit escapes despite many hits - before he can transform shape).

Inside the lair is another matter, with a lack of buffs or spells counting against us. Eventually we gain a foothold and from there it isn't long before the entire area is ours. Better preparation sees Berenn and his fire giants dealt with more efficiently and we pause at the entrance to the final part of the lair.

Pendal Fighter 21/ Illusionist 19. 691 (+25) kills, Shangalar.
Thimble Fighter 21 / Illusionist 19. 1612 (+106) kills, Bodhi.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
Really nice going, you gnomes!

The writeups and screenies help me re-learn some of the late game stuff. I've only completed ToB once and SoA maybe thrice or so.

What did Jon Irenicus do that dealt 14 damage to Jon Irenicus?.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Something like Ice Storm onto his mislead. Even when his spellbook is empty he has an interesting default attack.

My earlier monk post covered him in a bit more detail if it helps. Link below
social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/182/index/3120942/207#14129930