Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
How easy/ hard the game is to solo partly depends on what you pick to play. Characters with high punch value like thief or mage can solo the game without much background info but others like cleric take more knowledge to solo... IMO Druid is the best all round character but unlike a Bard they don't have spike traps...

Ygramul

Ygramul
  • Members
  • 25 posts
The transcredible exploits of Khemael the Fighter/Mage:

In an usual show of claustrophobia, I avoided going down to the Nashkel mines, instead exploring most areas west of Beregost & Nashkel. Came close to death twice, both because of being held.

First was Bacillus who managed to "Hold Person" me amid his skeletons.
Second was a Vampire Wolf that held me east of the Beregost Temple. (Wait, I didn't know Vampire wolves could do that? Is that a mod?)

In both cases, what saved my bacon was Dynaheir casting an invisibility on me where I spent the rest of the fight cozily shrouded in shadows, badly hurt but still alive. Everyone else had to alpha-strike with whatever they got to bring down he army of Bacillus & the wolves. I would still had been dead if not for some mirror images already up. Also, Minsc is a source of mayhem when berserk!

After clearing the light house & coast regions, I will cleanup the vicinity of Nashkel & then the mines.

Current party:
Khemael - Fighter 4 /Diviner 3
Imoen - Sorcerer 4
Minsc - Berserker 4
Jaheira - Fighter 4 / Druid 4
Viconia - Cleric 5
Dynaheir - Invoker 3 / Thief 4

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
Nice update, Ygramul.
However, there is a thread in the BG1 forum where we usually post the BG1 no-reload updates in.

Ygramul wrote... 
Second was a Vampire Wolf that held me east of the Beregost Temple. (Wait, I didn't know Vampire wolves could do that? Is that a mod?)

That's in vanilla - they´ve always had this ability. Victim of the bite must save vs. death or be Held. It goes right through Mirror Image as well.

In both cases, what saved my bacon was Dynaheir casting an invisibility on me where I spent the rest of the fight cozily shrouded in shadows, badly hurt but still alive.

Rashemani wychalarn saves the day. Nice!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Ygramul wrote...

Just read Alesia's solo battle with Melissan on
http://social.biowar...ndex/3120942/66

Wow!

I'm glad you enjoyed my bounty hunter's run. That was a fun one for me as well. :)

Is it actually easier to have a single high level solo PC or a full party?

The most common misonception about soloing is that it is more "difficult". The second most common misconception is that it is "easier". In reality it's neither: it's just different, with the comparative "difficulty" hinging on the details.

Early in the adventure, soloing tends to be more "difficult" than party play simply because the player has fewer resources available. Once experience starts accumulating however, the situation can change since a single high level character can be more capable than a balanced party of middling adventurers. Unsurprisingly, once a solo character has reached the level cap, a party can catch up and ultimately overtake the solo character in terms of raw available power.

This picture, while generally accurate, glosses over a number of details. class, kit, mod set, player objectives, and player style can all have a big effect on the relative "difficulty" of solo play- not to mention the issue of how the term "difficult" is defined (it can have quite a number of meanings in this context after all). Any general statement here is destined to mislead in one way or another.

In the end, this is one of the many subjects where doing and seeing gets you closer to truth than abstract discussion. Have fun experimenting everyone!

Best,

A. 

ussnorway wrote...
Characters with high punch value like thief or mage can solo the game without much background info but others like cleric take more knowledge to solo...

Understood. I'll note that this can go the other way as well.  When comparing my run with, say Alyssa (M/T), to my run with Abigail (Cleric), I found myself drawing on different subsets of my overall game knowledge in each with the size of the subset largely being a function of the range of tactical avenues available. As a consequence, I drew on more game knowledge with Alyssa than Abigail.

I'll also mention again that if you are talking about a SCS-Ascension install, I suspect that the single class mage solo No Reload may be significantly more difficult than people give it credit for.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 25 October 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Ygramul

Ygramul
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Jianson wrote...

Nice update, Ygramul.
However, there is a thread in the BG1 forum where we usually post the BG1 no-reload updates in.

Thanks. I will mozy over to the BG1 thread & be back when (IF!) I make it to BG2.

Edited by Ygramul, 25 October 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Jerlia, Unger Hilldark and Neb help me obtain some illithium then I collect a pair of silver pantaloons and hand in Neb's head. Cromwell improves the Mace of Disruption and it is time to re-house the smudged alloy then track down a Dawn Ring of Lathander.

The Southern Tunnels are investigated and most of the vampire lair cleared (Tanova excepted). Tasks for Mae'var and Edwin see me facing Rayic Gethras - who is evil. Kitthix takes a few death spells but I'm careless enough to have to save against hold (didn't equip Arbane in time). A few more idle tasks and Mae'var is dead too.

I purchase the Blade of Roses, Stonefire and Azuredge (& console in a bag of holding as I don't want to play the inventory game). Removing the remaining slavers requires the use of Roses/Arbane, Lilacor and Stonefire/Roses at various points. Hendak hands me the Kondar sword as a reward but I sell it (level 13 reached).

Keldorn offers me his armour but after glugging two potions of genius I work out it is not to be (fixpack) and we part ways. I use a Holy Smite to obtain a Cloak of the Sewers then leave to deal with Rejiek Hidesman. His guardians are almost the death of me thanks to hasted front-stabs, but a few healing potions are enough to out-live them. I inform Lt Aegisfield of recent events and consider what to do next (or more accurately how to sort out Tanova).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
Arbane is not a good remedy for web - my poison immunity keeps me alive until I have killed the attacking ettercaps. No real danger but a silly error. Gaal hands me a key and my plan is started.

A potion of genius first. Then a scroll of Protection from Magic and potions of Frost Giant Strength and Speed. That should sort out the heffalumps liches.

& this the woozles vampires.
Posted Image

Postscript;
The first speed wears out before Kangaxx and he de-buffs the second within moments of being used (doh). I use a third to get to Tanova just as the PfM wears out (doh2; elemental, shade and non-demi Kangaxx all managed timestops and I had to deal with Sansuki too). I used the second Genius/PfM against Tanova which of course meant losing the 3rd oil of speed. An unbuffed fight against Bodhi then meant I glugged several healing potions on the run before finally scaring her off.

I thought I'd got this neatly lined up but used more potions (and another scroll) than I intended.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
Nice going, there.

Gotta love that 'undead destroyed' thing.
(Btw, does that not work on Bodhi? Or is her save so good that she always makes it?)

and I had to deal with Sansuki too

Who is that?

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Bodhi either always saves or is immune, believe it is the latter but not 100% certain. I used a Daystar Sunray on her too (immune to the usual 1149 undead damage from that too) then remained with Daystar as he has ** in long swords and * in maces.

Sansuki is the thief being chased by Del and two other vampires so may have been better to say help Sansuki instead of deal with.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
No doubt an Undead Hunter would have meticulously recorded his graveyard activity, Vhorl on the other hand gets his words and drawings a little messed up (to fit gaps).
Posted Image

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
Trademeet and a Druid Grove are next. A reflection shield is not ideal but gives sufficient protection to allow numerous trolls to be StonefireShielded. I switch to RoseShield against spiders and RoseArbane for druids. I pick up the Belm scimitar and trade with Adratha (being careful not to think about detecting evil as her potions are handy). Lilacor deals with two spore colonies then Dalok is RoseBelmed before I observe Cernd tear Faldorn apart in moments.

My saving throws are looking healthy (-1 petrify, 1 spell) while Aid and Improved Invisibility reduce them by 5. Thus protected and with DUHM active I kill Taquee, Faafirah and Khan Zahraa to remove the Dao Djinn from Trademeet. A couple of hefty rewards include the Shield of Harmony and enough money to purchase Blackblood, the belt of Inertial Barrier and the Cloak of Displacement. Rejiek Hidesman and Darsidian Moor are killed before I glug a potion of genius to help Raissa with a scroll of restoration.

My last act in Trademeet is to FlameTongueBelm some skeletons and return a mantle to the mayor. I depart as a level 15 Cavalier (switch to Animate Dead in level 3 priest spells and add Death Ward in level 4). ** in long sword, 2HS, 2 handed weapon style, * in mace, axe and 2 weapon style. Next few proficiencies would be a 2nd * in 2 weapon style then 1 each in flail and bastard sword).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
Nalia has been waiting patiently at the de'Arnise Keep and wants to know details of my StonefireBelm plan. I describe it in detail (I turn up and I get on with it) but the intricacies are lost on her.

StonefireBelm sees a buffed yuan-ti mage take repeated fire damage. I summon a skeleton then realise I need more levels (showing turning 13 at 15 so assume is the same for spells meaning level 17) for a skeleton warrior. Fine, I'll do the Iron Golem the hard way. This requires a Lay on Hands but I kill it without retreating. Back to work.
Posted Image

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts

I summon a skeleton then realise I need more levels (showing turning 13 at 15 so assume is the same for spells meaning level 17) for a skeleton warrior.

IIRC, you still have a long way to go. Paladins Turn Undead two levels lower than Clerics but I think they cast spells at 8 levels lower than Clerics (seeing as they get their first spell at level 9). If you don´t get the Warrior at level 17, I think it's safe to assume you need to be level 23.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Yes, you're right. Found out the hard way facing Thaxxy.

Vhorl the Cavalier

I grab a magical sword (Ilbratha) from Umar before heading to the nearby (12 hours) temple ruins where I could fight, or I could try something else. What fun.
Posted Image

Inside I find two skeleton warriors that have to be maced. Mazzy Fentan is released then I discover a greater mummy and lich guarded by skeleton warriors. I have to retreat and the two enemies that follow are turned so I can Azuredge them. Once the remaining enemies are removed I send Kitthix, the berserk warrior and the genie in to occupy the lich while I use Death Ward to Mace him. A second set of similar guardians are more easily dealt with.

At level 17 I am still only able to summon a skeleton so it is effectively Cavalier against Dragon (how it's meant to be IMO). I am buffed (spells, abilities, items) and injure the dragon before a stoneskin is used, so switch to the FoA. My mirror images are removed as PfMW activates and I am buffeted away so no point in returning for 4 rounds when my weapons will register again. I switch to AzuredgeHarmony and test the PfMW from under the arches but there is no sign of stoneskins being removed or similar. Eventually I try the FoA and add another hit before almost dying (1APR against a dragon isn't much fun). I retreat and try a Holy Smite (12 + 15) then switch to DaystarBelm before re-buffing (2nd Aid, DUHM, Gaxxhaste).

Gaxxhaste gives me 9APR and Daystar proves highly effective; Thaxxy is almost dead before buffeting me away. I heal and use a second Gaxxhaste but am blinded. I move away and return as the blindness fades despite being badly wounded again. I think I can take one or two more hits, can Thaxxy?
Posted Image

I rest and re-buff for the Shade Lord (unimproved). Daystar proves effective in more ways than one.
Posted Image

Minister Lloyd and Madulf both decide to reward me. I stash yet another shield into my bag of tricks.

touch_of_the_void

touch_of_the_void
  • Members
  • 137 posts
If I remember correctly, the Shadow Dragon can - at least in vanilla BG2 - actually be hit with normal weapons. Interestingly, PnP dragons in the AD&D rules are not actually immune to non-magic weapons except for non-magic missile weapons - see below:

http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00053.htm

Edited by touch_of_the_void, 27 October 2012 - 02:05 PM.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
Awesome Thax battle!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
A quick trip to Cromwell sees some new armour in my bag of spares (never too early to start preparing for Draconis). Then it is time to visit Sir Ryan Trawl and play with a cup.
Posted Image

There is no option to join the Order so I head to Windspear Hills instead where a terrible mistake is made. At least I have a Deva as a witness (more of an interested party).
Posted Image

I make a start on the lair of Firkraag, remembering a Grond0 suggestion of being an easy target when faced with a room of orc archers and a reflective shield. They self-destruct quite quickly.
Posted Image

A deva soaks up plenty of golem hits and a Sunray clears many undead. Level 19, Hardiness. Another deva helps with a Director beholder and six genies and another still against Samia. I'm careful to stay out of the way of the many blades.
Posted Image

Werewolves, an air elemental and more golems are brushed aside before I/we face Tazok and Chieftain DigDag.
Posted Image

Firkraag resists my detect evil ability and then I am to face Conster.
Posted Image

The Order of the Radiant Heart finally need my assistance again. First I save a group of beseiged knights then foil a land-grab. After dealing with a vampire (Parisa) my third task is guarding the sole survivor of the Morningale family (almost lost her but a summoned deva helped out greatly) until her guardian arrives then confirming he is not evil. With this done my fourth and final task is to return for Firkraag and take the Holy Avenger from him. A single Improved Haste with DragonslayerBelm works wonders.
Posted Image

Dual wielding has been working really well so a tough decision on whether to use Carsomyr. Likely to be a lot more switching between the two styles now.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
A Deva? Wow, what a boost! They eat skeleton warriors for breakfast. Ah, you start getting HLAs at level 18. Does the Deva appear as a special ability? (because you hardly have level 7 spells...)

Another deva helps with a Director beholder and six genies and another still against Samia. I'm careful to stay out of the way of the many blades.

Just FYI, SCS II has a component that makes Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades party friendly.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Grond0/Gate70 multiplayer attempt 9: Bronzer (Grond0, protaganist) and Reyna (Gate70).

Bronzer the barbarian and Reyna the monk have started their travels in Amn after surviving their earlier ordeals on the Sword Coast.

Just for a change the first task was to survive the dungeon.  Most encounters were pretty simple with Bronzer taking much of his damage from traps - the difficulty of using the pause button in multi-player meant he found it difficult to use his Bhaal slow poison to cure himself.
Posted Image

The only slightly worrying moment was in attacking the mephit portal room.  Reyna was put to sleep by the radiant mephit, but Bronzer managed to clear the remaining portals before she could be finished off.
Posted Image

One amusing encounter was against the clone, who managed to get some last coherent words out despite Reyna transforming her into a collection of bits.
Posted Image

After quickly restoring the circus the duo travelled to the slums and oversaw a change of management at the Copper Coronet.  Diving into the sewers Reyna got held by a hobgoblin shaman, but the hobgoblins didn't last long enough to do her much damage.  Bronzer was stymied by a mustard jelly, having sold all his magic weapons, but Reyna quickly put the boot into it and Lilarcor was soon available for such contingencies.

Moving on to the slavers Reyna thought about trying to stun Captain Haegan, but decided he would probably save so concentrated on the cleric.  However, when Haegan ran out of axes and came to join in the melee Reyna found she was in fact able to make a stun stick and Haegan didn't last much longer.
Posted Image
A couple of rages outlasted the mages and success was reported to Hendak.

Reyna's 19 strength and increasing hand to hand damage was allowing her to hold her own in that session after tending to be the harder character to look after in BG1.
Bronzer Barbarian 9, 117 HPs. 354 kills (+83).
Reyna Monk 9, 62 HPs. 159 kills (+60).

A successful session, though there was a repeating glitch with the game often freezing when resting - a multi-player quirk to try and sort out next time.

Edited by Grond0, 27 October 2012 - 10:36 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Jianson wrote...
A Deva? Wow, what a boost! They eat skeleton warriors for breakfast. Ah, you start getting HLAs at level 18. Does the Deva appear as a special ability? (because you hardly have level 7 spells...)

They are special abilities so a paladin could be by far the best Deva summoner in the game with a dozen or more Devas available per rest. Vhorl will take 2-3 Hardiness HLA's but the rest will be Deva so I can see how a non-GWW game fares.

Just FYI, SCS II has a component that makes Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades party friendly.

Am aware of that but I prefer to keep it the standard way; doesn't seem realistic that the blades can work out friend or foe (while Ajantis hasn't got a clue...)

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
Another quick visit to Cromwell sees me bag the Red Dragon armour as I prefer to keep full plate & a ring of protection +2 in use (for the saving throws). Valygar kindly opens the Planar Sphere then returns to Umar. The entire sphere is treated to a series of Deva summons while I use Carsomyr to de-buff the likes of Tolgerias. Three demons from another plane are picked apart too.
Posted Image

Lavok is released from his 500 year torment and Vhorl memorises Animate Dead (level 23).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
Two skeleton warriors, a berserk warrior, efreeti and a Deva are too much for Tarnor the Hatchetman and his crew. I don't even contribute to their downfall.
Posted Image

I say the wrong thing to Mekrath (oops) so have to Carsomyr him. He has a group of yuan-ti mages but skeleton warriors and a Deva clear them while I loot the area. Then I follow Haer'dalis to a Planar Prison - almost my last act as I am stunned, recovering with 35hp so summon a Deva as a precaution.

After resting and identifying items I switch to Boots of Speed and summon a pair of skeleton warriors to keep another Deva company. Once all the cells have been cleared,the Warden is dead and Haer'dalis freed I have to clear out my inventory before heading into the sewers again. A session of summons is not enough to clear an illithid lair so I buff and dispose of the last three by myself (intelligence 7 so could have been fun...)

Skeleton warriors and Deva's deal with beholders while I turn a group of shadows into chunks. The next two areas are crawling with undead. I use a Deva to buffer them while I turn them into oblivion. Even a lich is fair game.
Posted Image

The Shield of Balduran is equipped in the beholder lair even though I am behind a series of Deva summons. They do most of the work including the final eyeless removal before another Deva helps deal with Gaal.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
Time for a lesson courtesy of Sion and Ketta. One Deva downstairs and two upstairs is the right answer.

Next, the Twisted Rune.
I planned to turn undead but used Carsomyr on Shangalar as a beholder charm homes in.
Equipped the Shield of Balduran to Rose Vaxall.
Beaten to Revanek by the Deva.
De-buff Layenne only for her area spell to kill her before my next hit.
Run a circuit to heal as the Deva is hostile (not sure if dominated or some other effect).
Improved Haste Carsomyr Shyressa.
Carsomyr the Deva.
Posted Image

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
I waste little time in Brynnlaw other than getting Calahan to help Ginia and her brother. Perth the Adept donates both a wardstone and a book of infinite spells (spell turning selected, using for most containers now).

I'm soon dreaming inside an over-sized jar, and the eventual cost is 1/7th of my intelligence. Irenicus somehow allows me to escape and I quickly tell Imoen to leave while I distract Bodhi. A Deva turns hostile after killing a Ruhk so I am forced to rest after killing it.

The eastern area sees me turn-chunk a group of undead (another one on the Kaxir payback board). Dace Sontan is also turned into chunks apart from his hand. He re-apparates to thank me as I stake his gaseous remains, and is turn-chunked again as he speaks. Top value!

Another Deva helps clear a summoning pedestal, and one more carves through a group of worshipful kobolds and I am free to leave. I find myself in another strange area, collecting tokens and paintings. Bodhi gets a taste of Slayerdom while I treat myself to some new boots (Grounding and North) before leaving. Lonk gets a huge dose of Carsomyr and Irenicus quickly retreats after taking more of the same. At least I know his spellcasting can be interrupted.
Posted Image

Saemon Havarian gets me into more trouble. First I have to grab a pirate horn, then kill some gith and finally arrive at a city of caverns as our ship sinks.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Vhorl the Cavalier
I pass though the City of Caverns quickly, but there is always time to spread the word after obtaining a spiffy cloak. The Deva kills one as I tackle the rest.
Posted Image

The Underdark is a scary place; for anybody not wanting to bump into a Deva backed up with Carsomyr. I find my way into another illithid lair and agree to help Simyaz. Deva overload sees the job done with little danger to myself.

I have plucked an elder orb eye stalk within moments of entering a beholder lair and could leave but decide to Deva the rest as it shouldn't take too long to complete. I'm almost done when I get a "cannot summon more than one Deva" message. This message remains after resting or quitting/restarting and having recently selected Summon Deva for my final HLA I have 14 un-usable HLA's per day. At the time I believe it is a bug so decide to continue and investigate later.

Without Deva's and having killed one Elder Orb I decide to do the same with the second. Despite using both the spiffy Cloak and Shield of Balduran Vhorl is quickly imprisoned so I expect that is what happened to the Deva and prevented it expiring. I don't know if the Elder Orb with detachable eye is scripted not to imprison, if I was lucky first time or if I'd used a buff first time that I didn't use against the second (Spell Turning/Improved Invisibilty etc.)

So that's the end of another no-reload attempt (down an optional cul-de-sac), but will head towards the SCS Ascension thread when I feel like continuing.

Edited by Gate70, 29 October 2012 - 07:11 PM.