Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

corey_russell wrote...
@Gate70: Interesting write-up of the bhaalspawn parties on your heals. Quite true that the parties pretty much have no chance of catching up, unless maybe a player didn't work, which isn't me, I work full time.

I chuckled when I read the part about a potioned barbarian being "likely to close in fast." Azriel has made progress, but for every battle that she steams through buffed, there are two where she is running around chucking the Crimson Dart (Potions for NPCs and Prebuffs tends to slow things down as well). There is about zero chance that she'll catch up.
Here's my advice to Kronk: don't hurry, stay safe- worry about Mel, not Azriel. :)

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 April 2013 - 02:11 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel, Halfling Barbarian: Now More Heroic Than Ever!

After meeting a young lad named Delon in the Government District, Azriel was eager to visit the Umar Hills. A little voice inside her head urged caution though and kept repeating "Raise some gold; buy Pro Acid and Pro Undead Scrolls; pick up some potions and bags." Not sure what to make of the voice -but strangely unable to resist- Azriel found herself in Watcher's Keep- nosing around, discovering said gold and potions, and soon ready to return to Athkatla to purchase those supposedly essential scrolls.

Once the voice was satisfied, Azriel made her way to the Umar Hills. And while running an errand for a mage, she discovered that the voice had been onto something. 

"So that's what the Pro Acid scroll was for. How'd I know that?"
Posted Image

Azriel was surprised, but nothing could prepare her for what happened when she approached a pane of shiny glass at an abandoned temple. Seeing her visage, Azriel whispered "Mirror, mirror on the wall: Who's the fairest Rager of them all?" The reflected light revealed her answer.

"KRONK? No way! I totally have to catch that guy now!"
Posted Image

Then into the temple, where a plan to conserve stength potions by using Azurdege at range was regretfully abandoned: immobilized by strength drain, Azriel was forced to quaff.
Posted Image 
The strength potion proved handy however when Azriel was ambushed crossing a bridge. And not just by Shadows-by Skeleton Warriors and Shadow Fiends too.
Posted Image

Yet another surpise when a Skeleton Warrior arrow bypassed The Reflex.
Posted Image

And then yet another when a Bone Golem rose phoenix like from the remains of its predecessor. 

"Hey! Didn't I just kill you?"
Posted Image

(Note: The second Bone Golem was the one from over by the statue. This was the third time that Azriel has been caught off guard by out of place enemies this run. It almost seems like the call for help range has become larger somehow. Weird.)

Just one more fight remained. The voice in Azriel's head told her this would be a simple battle. Azriel had her doubts though when she saw a ProMW cast.
Posted Image

Doubts which grew stronger with a Black Blade of Disaster...
Posted Image

...and a funky special ability...
Posted Image

...followed by yet another ProMW.
Posted Image

Which prompted Azriel to ask: "Hey voice? Is this Shade Lord like improved or something?"

The voice didn't answer- not directly at least. It just whispered: "Pro Undead Scroll"

"Ok, yeah. That makes sense..."
Posted Image

And so it ended: Azriel may be losing her mind, but she is gaining a reputation for herself in Amn. She is off to Trademeet next.
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 April 2013 - 03:30 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Btw. Nice job on Firkraag Gate!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
(Note: The second Bone Golem was the one from over by the statue. This was the third time that Azriel has been caught off guard by out of place enemies this run. It almost seems like the call for help range has become larger somehow. Weird.)

That particular Bone Golem has always seemed a bit odd - I've seen it come to investigate fights around the fire pit quite a few times, even in vanilla.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
That particular Bone Golem has always seemed a bit odd - I've seen it come to investigate fights around the fire pit quite a few times, even in vanilla.

I've never seen that behavior from him before but it makes sense: his home is right on the other side of the wall.

The one that really threw my loops was the Kobold Shaman ambush in the sewers below the Copper Coronet, but that one makes sense as well now that I think about it.

Azriel had The Reflex equipped during the opening hobgoblin battle. The Hobgolin Archers detected The Reflex and refrained from shooting. For lack of anything better to do, they ran south, and ended up by the "lover's gift" skeleton. That placed them just on the other side of the wall from the Kobold Shaman and his buds.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 April 2013 - 04:51 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Setben the Halfling Fighter/Thief Update
Traveling with: Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Nalia

Setben has agreed to raise the funds for Galen Bayle - 20,000 gold. Setben had 66,000 gold, that thief Irenicus must have taken it! No way to get that gold now, though that does explain how Irenicus had so many underlings working for him.

So instead Setben decides he needs a drink at a local tavern, the Copper Coronet. Lehtinan has some gambling going on, so Setben and friends start exploring - Setben gets to some cells with some prisoners and asks about it, but the guards go hostile, and Setben has a fight on his hands. The party quickly mows down the melee guards, then go after the mages. Setben was slinging, but a guard put up missile deflection so charged with his long sword +1. The other party members go after the other mage. Hmm, Setben gets held - Jaheira and Aerie spam heals while the others concentrate fire on the last mage - success and no deaths.

More exploring, ah more cells with some hostile creatures. The first two cells were carefully cleared, then the party showed themselves. Party members cast entangle and hold person and that was enough to sway the battle to our favor. Hendak was freed, a few more slavers to take out and now Hendak in control of the Copper Coronet. Setben gets a Sling of Seeking for himself.

Minsc says he wants a better sword. Setben says let's explore the sewers, the City of Baldu'rs Gate sewers had items. The party made a face, but they followed their leader into the CC sewers...ah some hobgoblins. Minsc went enraged while the party assisted with ranged fire and that worked. Minsc cleared the jellies in the area as well, while enraged. 

Setben de-trapped the sewer trap, took out a carrion crawler. Well ok two of them, Quallo's too. More hobgoblins encountered at close range - this time Nalia and Aerie did hold persons, and that swayed the battle to our favor. We looked at the clues on the sewer pipes the talked to a kobold shaman and offered 2000 gold for his staff - he went for it!  The shaman then was killed as a traitor by his fellow kobolds and we then just picked up our gold back...Finally we return to the pipes, and get this +3 sword for Minsc (Lilacor), good deal.

There were some Mycanoids nearby - the party used haste on themselves and slowed the enemies (twice), and that was enough for a clean win. Sewers of a tavern seems like a strange place to find them though...

The party sold their junk and ended the session here.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk, ex-berserk berserker
It doesn’t take long to return to Garren Windspear “Where’s my daughter he asks”. Jaheira quickly pipes up “She’s probably with the shield of Balduran, we’ll just go check”. It takes a few minutes to return and rescue her.

“Ah” says Cromwell “it’s the Kronkettes”. Kronk bites his tongue to ensure the Wave halberd is forged, together with shadow dragon armour and red scale armour.

The city gate lich is treated to the Dragon’s Breath halberd as is the elemental lich (Mazzy is using the Wave halberd non-proficiently). After a rest it is the turn of Kangaxx. He dispels the buffs of Kronk and Mazzy, so Viconia adds two more chaotic commands as Jaheira adds two death wards. With two breaches, a warding whip and a true sight running the lich is soon defeated. Yea!

Nay. As Kangaxx turns into a demi-lich Mazzy returns to Viconia for some fire protection while Kronk enrages. Mazzy returns to help Kronk in melee while Nalia and Imoen shoot their heavily enchanted bows. Viconia and Jaheira are shooting an efreeti and Mazzy briefly helps them. Imoen adds another breach as Mazzy kills the efreeti (screenshot shows the after-effect of this hit on Mazzy, Wave slays Efreet so handy) and Kronk completes the battle with his next 2 hits.
Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 16 April 2013 - 07:25 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Nice going vs Liches, Gate! One thing is eluding me though - you don't have a *More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning)* from SCS installed so what the point in using it on (immune) Liches?

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Edit. I never remember what works and what doesn't against liches so I cast it anyway. Thanks for the confirmation, warding whip seems to help although I could just be imagining it! 2nd edit, just read the descriptions and I am imagining it. Pierce Shield doesn't help either so I'd need something like spellstrike?

Viconia is blowing hot and cold after the battle with Kangaxx, so Kronk humours her.

Kronk checks the to-do list. Boring, boring boring. Hmm, here’s one. A powerful psychic force lashes out, preventing Kronk from moving (not really, the cloak and chaotic commands see him ignore it) then it is into an illithid lair. Mazzy takes a brain drain to 5 but is blocked in, surviving long enough for the flayer to be killed. As we switch to an umber hulk it appears Kronk can’t reach it, until Viconia realises the chaotic commands are not enough to stop him from being caught by a horror spell - she soon resolves that issue.

With a foothold in the illithid lair the party can prepare for the next area. Kronk and Mazzy each have to glug a potion of genius, but then take no further injuries.

What else. No, no, no, aha and it is nearby. There is a gentle introduction before the main lesson, but we’ve forgotten to buff so step outside. A Cowled Wizard arrives to tell us to stop casting magic, oops. We rest and head back inside. After re-buffing we engage the enemies and kill them without injury - Imoen kiting a nishruu around. Then we head upstairs.

Imoen casts greater malison and then checks for traps. Viconia tries a symbol:stun (no result). Nalia casts chain lightning and also detects traps. Kronk is halberding Ketta while Mazzy is on Koshi. Jaheira casts insect plague. Imoen and Nalia release two traps then target Sion with breach and warding whip. Kronk chunks Ketta and moves to Sion, by now all the enemies except Stalman are being bitten by insects. Mazzy chunks Koshi and moves to the panic-stricken Maferan. Nalia has completed the warding whip at Stalman so aims her crossbow at him too. Stalman has survived a FoD and resisted a doom but all four ranged attackers are turning his armour into a colander.

Kronk has chunked Sion and turns to Olaf Raffmusen who is hitting a stoneskinned, mirrored and fireshielded Imoen. Mazzy has also switched to Olaf and he falls at the same time as Stalman, leaving a wounded Maferan facing six near-pristing attackers (Mazzy has taken 16 damage from Olaf but that’s all). Maferan manages one more hit before Kronk chunks him.

Any more tasks? Just one, but that can wait briefly as Jaheira and Nalia potentially have unfinished business. Back to the de’Arnise keep to sort out the sick wife of one of the staff, and to get a cleric installed in the temple. As we head outside a messenger tells us to return to the major domo as there is news about Isaea Roenall (2 l’s today, fairly sure earlier text said Roenal).

While we’re there (kipping under the tables) Kronk agrees to pay a dowry of 500gp in respect of a maid called Chanelle, and execute a couple of crooked moneylenders (why then pay 1000gp?)

With little else to do we hand Valygar his armour back (Jaheira is booted for a few seconds and when she questions the decision she is asked to rejoin, that is long enough to re-equip him).

There is no messenger from the keep as we travel. Viconia has two or three more romantic moments before Kronk gets fed up and returns to the major domo. He acts as if the messenger has arrived and sends Kronk out to face Isaea Roenall.

(& I think this leaves the Twisted Rune which I’ve been putting off all game then Bodhi. Was waiting for Jaheira’s harper pin but now suspect it is a romance only option so will need to check. There are a number of smaller tasks but I don’t think there is anything of any worth, while I’m checking Jaheira I’ll go through the item list and see if there is anything missing).

Edited by Gate70, 16 April 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Azriel's Game:

Azriel is proceeding through Amn at a snoozy-snail's pace: There's definitely no reason for Kronk to feel rushed.

The modest progress Azriel has made can be inferred from her current inventory. I'll write again when there is more to report on.
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 April 2013 - 08:03 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Edit. I never remember what works and what doesn't against liches so I cast it anyway. Thanks for the confirmation, warding whip seems to help although I could just be imagining it! 2nd edit, just read the descriptions and I am imagining it. Pierce Shield doesn't help either so I'd need something like spellstrike?

Gate70, dispel magic (level 3 spell) is the one spell that does work on liches even though dispel magic is below 5th level - obviously you will need a high level cleric, mage or bard to make it effective.. Liches are high level, but that's not a problem for a high level Keldorn dispel ability. Dispelling arrows work too.

Corey

Edited by corey_russell, 16 April 2013 - 08:33 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Liches are immune vs all spells of lvl 5 and below. Warding Whip, Pierce Shield and Spellstrike works just fine but all of them are *spell protections* removers while Breach is *combat protections* remover (Prot vs Magic Weapons, Stoneskins, Mantles, Absolute Immunity etc.) and I think it's the only way to remove them for your fighters to hit liches with weapons (or just wait 4 rounds for ProMW to expire). I don't know how Carsomyr's Dispel on Hit work vs that - never ran a Paladins so never used it...

Edit: Corey just wrote about Dispel - good to know, thanks!

@Alesia: //Azriel is proceeding through Amn at a snoozy-snail's pace...//
If THAT is a *snoozy-snail's pace* then I can't find a words to describe MY *speed*...:blush: At the moment Avatars only finished the Circus Tent, Mencar Pebblecrusher and liberated Copper Coronet...

Keep it up!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 16 April 2013 - 08:51 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

I don't know how Carsomyr's Dispel on Hit work vs that - never ran a Paladins so never used it...

Edit: Corey just wrote about Dispel - good to know, thanks!

Somewhat counter-intuitively, Carsomyr on-hit dispel won't get through PfMW, though it will through stoneskins. While the weapon itself can cast a dispel, I've never found that dispel effective on high level casters, it's better to do dispel magic from a high level party member.

And you're welcome Serg! I think I remember reading about liches in an in game book, and it mentioned dispel magic works on them, plus I've actually used it. On the old forum there was a topic about "lich-busting" and this was one of the tactics.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...
I never remember what works and what doesn't against liches so I cast it anyway. Thanks for the confirmation, warding whip seems to help although I could just be imagining it! 2nd edit, just read the descriptions and I am imagining it. Pierce Shield doesn't help either so I'd need something like spellstrike?

Let's first be clear on what you are trying to accomplish first. 

If you are trying to remove combat protections, then -given that you aren't using the SCS Consistent Breach component- your options against Liches are Remove Magic, Dispel Magic, Breach via the Wand of Spell Striking, Wish: Breach on All Enemies in the Area, and dispelling weapons (Carsomyr and the like). Before trying Remove or Dispel, make sure that SI:A isn't running. Before applying Breach via Wand of Spell Striking be sure that there are no Spell Protections active (Spell Trap, etc). Before using Wish: Breach On All Enemies in the Area, be sure that Spell Shield isn't up and note that this will actually Breach friendlies as well as enemies, even turning summons hostile (in my install at least). Before using dispelling weapons, check for Abjuration school weapon defenses.

If you are trying to remove spell protections, then anything that gets over the top of the Lich level 1-5 immunities (Wish: Magical Defenses Utterly Destroyed, Spell Strike, Pierce Shield, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Khelben's, Pierce Magic) can be effective but you have to be sure that your remover is powered to handle the protection you are trying to take down.Spell Trap can only be taken down by Spell Strike, Pierce Shield, Ruby Ray of Reversal, and Wish: Magical Defenses Utterly Destroyed. It gets simpler after that: all the L6 or greater debuffers that work on liches will remove anything from Spell Turning on down. Note though that all of these targetted debuffers -including Spell Strike- can be caught by Spell Shield. Further, note that they require a valid target (ie- not under II) unless cast via scroll, item, or contingency.

It can be confusing at first. But there isn't that much to remember ultimately. The tricky thing is getting used to operating with it all on the fly. One of the best ways to get the hang of it is to run through scenarios. We can setup a separate thread for that if you like.

Anyhoo: Happy Lich Hunting!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 April 2013 - 09:25 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Thanks Corey, Serg..oh and now Alesia. Details copied to my 1 page dossier of key things to remember. While knowing most of the trilogy backwards for some reason I always have trouble remembering what removes spell protections and what removes combat protections (so I leave this to Grond0 in multiplayer or give him a choice such as do you want me to breach or pierce?)

First breach hit a spell defence hence the whip then another breach. Forgot about the level 1-5 immunity. Had dispel available and fairly sure that would work but I would remove Kronk from the area rather than risk de-buffing him. As he was safely chipping away I decided not to bother. Must remember to pack the few arrows that are available in future. Will pack them if I visit the demi-lich in Watchers Keep though.

I believe Carsomyr dispel may or may not work depending what mods affect it. Fixpack and SCS both alter it for example.

Edited by Gate70, 16 April 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk shuts his eyes and follows Mazzy and the other four, pretending he’s not scared of what lies ahead. Three skeleton warriors guard the huge table as buffs are completed, then Kronk stays just in sight of Shangalar after Viconia draws him out (Kronk and Mazzy both have improved invisibility).

The skeleton warriors may have gone already, but Viconia destroys Shangalar after Nalia casts true sight.Posted Image

Shyressa has decided to go anti-clockwise around the table and this means the focus can go fully onto Vaxall. Kronk has done most of the work but Mazzy nips in to slice off the last eye.Posted Image

Kronk removes the pit fiend instead.Posted Image

Viconia applies another death ward to Kronk as Jaheira releases an insect plague on the handily visible Revanek. Viconia switches to fire bullets and a six way assault on Shyressa sees Kronk finish her despite Mazzy switching to a suitably heavy war hammer (+1/+4 so will hit but non-proficient).Posted Image

Layene and Revanek are left, he is no danger so she becomes the next target despite being scared. Nalia tries a warding whip but Kronk kills her while the spell is still travelling.Posted Image

Revanek takes a brief beating from all until Kronk finishes with a sufficiently chunky critical (46). Mazzy has used the battle to work out a rudimentary understanding of war hammers (1 *).

Kronk, berserker 19. 1146 kills (433 BG1, 713 SoA), Firkraag.
Mazzy, fighter 18. 225 kills, Adamantite golem.
Nalia, thief 4 > mage 16. 177 kills, Adamantite golem.
Imoen, thief 7 > mage 17. 83 kills, Ulitharid.
Viconia, cleric 20. 79 kills, Shangalar.
Jaheira, fighter 13 / druid 13. 184 kills, Unseeing Eye.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...
First breach hit a spell defence hence the whip then another breach.

To be clear, without Consistent Breach installed, the Level 5 spell Breach, cast by mages, is foiled by Lich immunities. And against foes that it does work against, it ignores Spell Protections but is stopped by Spell Shield.

The version of Breach in the Wands of Spell Striking is different (at least in the non-SCS installs I've played). It casts at Level 6 -therefore getting over the top of Lich immunties- and ignores Spell Shield while being stopped by Spell Protections.

Also, remember that Warding Whip does not remove Spell Trap. So, if the Lich was running Spell Trap, Warding Whip->Breach wouldn't have removed Combat Protections whether you used the mage version or the wand version: in the former case, the L1-L5 immunity would have foiled your Breach. In the latter, the Spell Trap would have remained in place and caught it.

Had dispel available and fairly sure that would work but I would remove Kronk from the area rather than risk de-buffing him.

Makes sense. Recall though that while Dispel Magic debufs party members, Remove Magic doesn't: It only affects enemies.

Must remember to pack the few arrows that are available in future. Will pack them if I visit the demi-lich in Watchers Keep though.

Pack the dispelling arrows for mages, but not Demi-Liches: Their innate immunities to unenchanted and lowly enchanted weapons (1-3) will block them (More on this below).

I believe Carsomyr dispel may or may not work depending what mods affect it. Fixpack and SCS both alter it for example.

Let's set aside the mod versions for a moment. Dispelling weapons must hit, of course, in order to dispel. Weapon enchantment immunities -whether innate or conferred via a spell such as ProMW or Absolute Immunity- can prevent them from hiting, thus foilng the on hit effect (Just like how ProMW stops the elemental damage on, say, Ages). So, for example, let's say you approach a mage who is running ProMW (which confers immunity to all enchanted weapons) and want to use a dispelling weapon on him. You have Carsomyr and Dispelling Arrows, with Carsomyr hitting as a +5 enchanted weapon and the Dispelling Arrows hitting as +1. Would either work? No: ProMW would stop the weapons from hitting and thus foil the dispel on hit effect. Ok. Now let's say ProMW runs out and the mage casts Improved Mantle, which stops all weapons up to +3. Improved Mantle would foil the Dispelling Arrows while Carsomyr, on the other hand, would get over the top of the immunity. 

Now, your Demi-Lich (I'm saying your Demi-Lich because -believe it or not- I've never fought him: I've never been able to find him and I refuse to look it up) (PS: Don't tell me! I'll find him someday!) will have innate immunity to all weapons up to +3. So, your, Dispelling Arrows will never work against him, though Carsomyr would get over the top of the immunity just as in the cast of a mage running Improved Mantle. Clear enough.

Ok. Now we can talk about the mod version. Since Carsomyr is pretty darn powerful, some mods tweak it by having it offer a save or, in the alternative, giving it, say, a 50% chance of dispelling on hit rather than a 100% chance. The weapon would still need to hit of course in these cases, but your opponent would additionally have to fail the relevant roll.

Once again: Good luck Lich hunting!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 April 2013 - 03:08 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
NIce job against the Twisted Rune crew Gate!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Sigh, more stuff to digest! Or to try out for real as it tends to stick that way. (& I was pleased wih the Rune fight without potions or scrolls but am aware berserker rage was a significant benefit and will be trying to find ways to unlock that group without it).

Time to deal with Bodhi. She’s expecting us though, and somehow kills Viconia with mere words and spirits her body away.  Luckily for us somebody has restocked the vampire nest with more wooden stakes so we set to work. Valen and three fledgling vampires draw us into a trap but Mazzy offhands the improved mace at the tail of the party while Kronk rages up front.

Kronk criticals Valen as Del arrives; Nalia briefly bolts her to a wall with Firetooth as she turns into mist. Two stakes are used to ensure we won’t be meeting them again. Salia and Meradath (can’t remember her) are next to be eliminated before Kronk sanctifies a huge pool of blood.

Eight more vampires are supporting Hareishan and Tanova. Nalia sighs and uses a Daystar Sunray. Six are killed and four badly wounded enough to finish off quickly. Kronk stakes one of Hareishan or Tanova then sends Mazzy in to check out the spiked room. A guard and several vampiric mists are brought back and destroyed then we head downstairs where Imoen removes a pair of traps.

A partial buff makes us realise how much Viconia had been preparing for us, but we should be able to do some damage. At least Mazzy can cast group courage. Kronk and Mazzy work their way to Bodhi while Nalia, Imoen and Jaheira shoot Viconia down (don’t want Kronk hitting her with a massive critical in case she is chunkable). Then Jaheira finishes off Bodhi - or so she thinks but Kronk hits Bodhi before the dart can land.Posted Image

Imoen feels better as soon as Bodhi is staked while Kronk manages to figure out a whirlwind attack (first HLA). Six more vampires attack on our way out but Kronk brushes them aside before heading to the temple of Oghma. From there we head back to the Umar temple ruins and undertake a strange ritual, resulting in Viconia being cured of her vampiric curse and brought back to life.

Edited by Gate70, 17 April 2013 - 12:05 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
If THAT is a *snoozy-snail's pace* then I can't find a words to describe MY *speed*...:blush: 

It was basically a joke. I'm not a fast player at all. My computer is slow, and more importantly I'm slow: I auto-pause everything, buff before every fight, and fiddle with my inventory constantly- playing multiplayer with me would be a complete nightmare.

Nonethless, Azriel has made substantial progress: She's gotten pretty far actually given that she's saddled with neurotic little me.

At the moment Avatars only finished the Circus Tent, Mencar Pebblecrusher and liberated Copper Coronet...

I wouldn't say only: That's great! Congrats on taking down Mencar early!

Keep it up!

You too Serg! I'd love to see your Avatars make it! :)

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 April 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Sigh, more stuff to digest!

Sorry! I never know whether I'm being a helpful peer or an intolerable pedant when I post stuff like that (All of the above is my guess...). I can stow it if you prefer.

Or to try out for real as it tends to stick that way.

Makes sense.

(& I was pleased wih the Rune fight without potions or scrolls but am aware berserker rage was a significant benefit and will be trying to find ways to unlock that group without it).

And I'm pleased that you're pleased. :P

Good luck with your experiments.

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel, Halfling Barbarian: Catch-Up Coverage- Trademeet

Sigh: I've done it again. I have a terrible habit of letting my character's updates fall behind their game progress, leaving me stuck darting off quick posts to catch-up. Azriel has become yet another example. Apologies folks. Hopefully there will be some better posts later on.

The Trademeet guard was pleased to see an adventurer come to their aid- untill they realized that adventurer was a Halfling Barbarian with a Strengh of 10. Most of the militia was slaughtered while Azriel knicked away.

"Opps, Sorry! Maybe I shoulda brought an extra potion?"
Posted Image

"Or maybe I should have a friend- A bud to help out? Like an Efreeti maybe. Yeah: An Efreeti..."
Posted Image

Onto the Grove. Azriel took down the trolls under a Potion of Stone Giant Strength. She finished with Sunstone Bullets so she could at least keep her shield up.
Posted Image

Azriel tends to under-utliize Ilbratha, but she does brings it out when swarmed by high apr foes.
Posted Image

I had wanted to have Azriel clear out the whole grove, but I just couldn't bring myself to use a high value potion here and I doubted whether Lilacor and or Rages would be enough: You can end up with a lot of  'shroom here as you might imagine.
Posted Image

Not much left after that: Cernd finished Faldorn. Happily, he disrupted her Improved Invisibility cast leading to a mercifully quick fight.
Posted Image

Inventory after Trademeet.
Posted Image

The De'Arnise Keep will be next followed by Mae'Var, Unseeing Eye, Winspear Hills, and Planar Sphere.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 April 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Azriel, Halfling Barbarian: Catch-Up Coverage- The De'Arnise Hold

It's inexplicable: No matter how many times I post on the De'arnise Hold, I still feel the need to show the first dead troll.
Posted Image

It's almost as puzzling as my fascination with nixing Nalia's pooches. I spent a good long time thinking about how Azriel should kill them and ultimately decided that they should be skewered with the Spear of the Unicorn. This meant running all over the grounds chasing them -not to mention getting Slowed and Diseased by the Otyugh- but it was worth it in the end (At least I think so...). 
Posted Image

Neutralizing Spot got Azriel to Level 14 (Ok: Not exactly- it was actually opening the gate...)
Posted Image

The Yuan-Ti Mage. I didn't plan on using seperation tactics here, but the trolls insisted: They bum rushed Azriel as soon as she opened the door.
Posted Image

Mr. Ti himself was taken down at range- after a few counters naturally.

Flame Arrow, Reflex.
Posted Image

Lightning Bolt, Boots of Grounding + Potion of Insulation.
Posted Image

(You get the idea: Azriel prevailed.)

Onto Torgal- where I chickened out once again and used seperation. Potion of Stone Giant Strength, Potion of Defense, Oil of Speed, Draw on Holy Might, and Barbarian Rage were the buffs. here. Someday -someday- I'll do it the right way.
Posted Image

Used a Dart of Stunning on Glaicus in the interest of scoring potions.
Posted Image

Sword of Aroreen (for the Slow immunity) against the Stone and Flesh Golems.
Posted Image

Baby Ages for the Clay.
Posted Image

And the devestating door/dart combo for the Iron Golem. Saves handled the Gas Cloud (it isn't easily ignored in my install).
Posted Image

Interestingly, the most challenging fight occured in the wind-down phase. Still running some buffs -and looking for some easy experience- Azriel sauntered over to the dinning hall. She was absolutely mobbed and there were a lot of strength draining Spirit Trolls in that group.
Posted Image

When Azriel's strength -which had been previously potioned up to 20- got down to 13, it was time to quaff a Potion of Invisibility and regroup. She was truly feeble when the strength potion wore off.
Posted Image

After a cup of tea, I returned to find Azriel nearly recovered.
Posted Image

She buffed up and broke out soon after.
Posted Image

Next stop: Mae'Var's Guild Hall.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 17 April 2013 - 03:02 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Had dispel available and fairly sure that would work but I would remove Kronk from the area rather than risk de-buffing him.

Makes sense. Recall though that while Dispel Magic debufs party members, Remove Magic doesn't: It only affects enemies.

This is a small point, but I think it's relevant. Remove magic must target an enemy, so if they have things like improved invisibility or other such things, you have to remove their invisibility first before targeting them. However, dispel magic is an area effect, and as such can be used against enemies with the protections just mentioned by targeting the ground near them. This little detail could save the player a round, might be handy against liches.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Alesia_BH wrote...

This is a small point, but I think it's relevant. Remove magic must target an enemy, so if they have things like improved invisibility or other such things, you have to remove their invisibility first before targeting them. However, dispel magic is an area effect, and as such can be used against enemies with the protections just mentioned by targeting the ground near them. This little detail could save the player a round, might be handy against liches.

Are you sure? In my install Remove Magic is area effect as well and could be targeted on the ground just like Dispel Magic. And their descriptions are almost the same: (range: visual range of caster; duration: special; area of effect 30-foot cube). Also description specifically points out that Remove Magic is a combat version of Dispel Magic that only affects opponents. Aside from casting time that's the only difference between them.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 17 April 2013 - 07:47 AM.