Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk
Travelling with Mazzy, Sarevok, Imoen, Viconia and Jaheira.

The cost of living in Saradush is abhorrent, with almost 200,000gp spent in the local store (scrolls). Viekang tells Sarevok to get out of town if he isn’t a Bhaalspawn - talk about saying the wrong thing to the wrong person - and Sarevok trundles back to the store. All that money blown and he forgot to buy a horror scroll.

Kronk is tired, really tired and finally has to call it a night after killing Kiser Jhaeri & before killing the final mage. The next day sees the job finished and with little else to do the party investigate the sewers. More fresh air for Kronk, too much in fact after berserking several vampires. Mazzy has maced a few but Phlydian and another are fighting back. Kronk is using his halberd to great effect until Mazzy asks why he is being level drained (raged while fatigue was still active and didn’t notice - problem with having a barbarian in 1 run and a berserker in the second). No matter, the undead are destroyed a moment or two later and Viconia casts a lesser restoration.

Sarevok has reached the heady heights of level 7 mage, only 12 more to go. Kronk fancies a pocket plane rest and Viconia has some umm romantic notions in her head but they are not recipocated.
Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 19 April 2013 - 05:05 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

That wasn’t the sewers, just a prison that smelt like them. This is the sewers - and after Mazzy forgets to use her mace she is level drained a couple of times. Viconia is turning the devil shades but that just makes it more difficult to destroy them with forced attacks. Kronk isn’t paying attention and Mazzy slumps to the ground after two more hits finish her reduced ability.

A pocket plane rest is called for and Mazzy suggests the party rest until the party are able to pay more attention (me).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

Kronk turns to Sarevok “Nalia was more use than you”. Sarevok mumbles an excuse, looking at the bloodied half-orc and the battered halfling formerly known as Mazzy (need to find Sarevok a sling so he can at least figure slightly in the battles).

After clearing the sewers and entering the castle Kronk is ready to face Gromnir. A deva, flesh golem and berserk warrior help deal with a few enemies while the main focus is on two mages and Gromnir himself. After the battle concludes Kronk confirms he’s still having trouble focusing.Posted Image

(Struggling ever since switching Nalia out. Not sure if it is her spells and crossbow, the lack of decent ranged weapons for Viconia / any ranged weapon for Sarevok or the hardier ToB enemies taking advantage while I adapt to the party change. The more I use Sarevok the more I think it makes sense to leave him as a fighter in a party of 6 and have him with 2HS & halberd).

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Kronk! Kronk! Kronk! Kronk!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

Time to transfer our loot from Watchers Keep to the Pocket Plane, and sort out the containers in our backpacks. Sarevok learns a few more spells from Sister Garlena too. Then he suggests we look around the keep. A short while later we have cleared the first area without issue and move on to the second area where a chromatic demon is caged. Imoen clears traps as we explore.

North. Fire giants almost kill Mazzy but almost isn’t good enough.

North East. Kronk and Mazzy are protected from lightning and WW the air elementals.

East. Ice golems seem easy enough until their scalding steam injures Jaheira (37/79hp) and very nearly catch Viconia out with a second that just catches her as she flees (1/81hp). (Is this standard behaviour or has something been tweaked?)

South. A few mutated spiders are meleed with a fireball at one stage. Grab a key.

South East. Mazzy opens one door as Kronk opens a second, then she races back. A huge poison snake and poison mists are safely killed but after the battle Mazzy takes acid damage. As Viconia cures her and we prepare to leave Imoen takes damage. Jaheira tries to cure her but also takes damage as does Sarevok. Imoen goes to glug a potion but the acid damage doubles in toxicity and kills her (I can’t recall this behaviour before when the acid cloud is in the room to the south).

After raising Imoen we rest in the pocket plane while Cespenar forges the Flail of Ages +4 (Viconia), and Foebane +5 (nobody).

Edited by Gate70, 19 April 2013 - 10:19 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

South west. An ice golem and a couple of minions are easily killed.

West. Vampiric mists prove troublesome after hiding. Imoen is casting true sight but the mists go past Kronk and Mazzy to drain Sarevok. Viconia restores his levels after the mists have been dispelled.

North West. Four greater fire elementals are drawn into the ice room then an invulnerable fire giant can be slain (are you listening Yaga Shura?)

Cespenar improves the helm of the rock and Jaheira decides to try it.

The Chromatic Demon. Kronk takes quite a few hits and is about 50% injured when Viconia rams the helm of Roranch onto his head. Together with his hardiness this gives 90% crushing resistance and his regeneration keeps pace with the continued damage for another 30 seconds or so until the demon is smashed to the ground.Posted Image

(based on run so far I might do Yakman and grab the Purifier, but then leave the rest until later)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nil Desperandum - berserker (update 1)

After rushing through BG1 Nil Desperandum has also made quite a bit of progress in BG2 and has just arrived at Brynnlaw.

In outline his progress so far has been:
- dungeon
- circus
- freeing Copper Coronet
- picking up potion bag and ammo case from Watcher's Keep
- clearing de'Arnise Hold and taking it for a stronghold
- using a single protection from undead scroll to kill the 4 liches in Athkatla and acquire the ring of Gaxx (there was still enough left on the scroll to journey to the Graveyard and clear a couple of tombs there)
- saving Renfeld and clearing Harper HQ
- getting illithium alloy for Sir Sarles and picking up the real thing from Neb.  Using another protection from undead scroll to clear vampire HQ and forging iMoD
- Umar Hills.  I thought about using another protection scroll for the ruined temple, but didn't bother in the end and, in fact, there was no need - there were no liches there
- finishing off Trademeet (except the follow-up to the skinner murders as that's not been done)
- journeying to Brynnlaw

I didn't take many screenshots on the way I'm afraid.  The ones I did take were:
- successfully killing Ulvaryl in the dungeon
- using Daystar to beat down Kangaxx
- immediately after taking revenge on one vampire for Mook's death another trio showed up chasing Sansuki.  I was concerned there were only a few rounds left on Nil's rage, but that proved not to be a problem
- on the way to vampire HQ I stopped off to pay Pai'Na a visit.  She died quickly, but I deliberately enticed the spiders into a circle to hit them with a sunray - but unfortunately found Nil had not rested since using it on Del.  However, with a saving throw of -5 against poison Nil was in no danger anyway
- the sunray was back in business to deal with the Shade Lord after Nil's initial assault just failed to finish him off
- on arrival at Brynnlaw a couple of ambushing vampires were sufficient to get Nil to level 17

Thus far it's been a very clean run - a berserker is such an easy character to play compared to a kensai.  The only time I think he's been in any danger was near the start when I forgot to buff him with improved invisibility in Watcher's Keep and forced him to make a saving throw against a finger of death trap.

Here's his current record:
Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 19 April 2013 - 11:06 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Setben the level 9 fighter/level 11 thief continues his adventure...
Traveling with: Minsc, Jaheira, (Keldorn), Nalia, Aerie

Setben's gang continues to make progress. Incidents of note:

* Mencar Pebblecrusher and gang - Setben mostly set this one out, as the casters (which is everyone but Setben!) cast things out of sight like entangle, greater malison, cloudkill, fireball, stinking cloud and web and emotion - complete victory. The thief almost escaped but was cut down moments before he could. No one even got damaged.

* Tarnor the Hatchetman's Gang - I usually use summons or area effects out of sight, but was feeling generous, so the party did a few buffs and battled this gang on equal terms. Well, it didn't go so well, Nalia and Aerie got caught in our own web and got cut down by the enemy. Jaheira, Minsc and Setben were able to take down the survivors of our initial web/cloudkill/stinking cloud/emotion onslaught. Once the battle was won, the party did not rest or even loot - we went straight to a Temple to raise our fallen, and came back and looted then had to sell.

* Unseeing Eye Quest - Our final slot has been filled with Keldorn. Setben is thinking of putting Keldorn in the #2 spot, so Jaheira can cast more spells. Also, Jaheira has less HP than Keldorn, so Keldorn is a natural replacement for her in the line, once we get the dexterity gauntlets for him. This of course means doing the Unseeing Eye quest the long way. Battles were a little slow for some reason, but the party pulled through. Party getting very low on extra heal potions, though, so will buy first chance we got (eventually found some on Roger). The large number of undead guarding the gauntlets were beat by haste/bless/chant, the blind priests by web/cloudkill/fireball/stinking could by Nalia. The beholders/gauths by Minsc and the Shield of Balduran.

It should be mentioned that I had done the entire area, and my PC looted the rift device, and I ran into that bug where the game makes my character automatically die through no fault of my own - it claimed I left the area with the device, but I did not, the game just took over my PC (giving me no control) and did it. I've run into this bug before in other runs, and had meant to save just before looting the device in case this bug happened but my boy distracted me. This is definitely a bug, and rather severe one at that, so redid the area - the 2nd time the bug did not occur and was able to continue.

The battle with the Unseeing Eye itself was short, though it did managed to kill Nalia. Posted Image
The vampiric mists put down a big beating on the party, but we did win without any deaths. Setben was tired of his party members dieing, so he didn't give Gaal a chance and from the shadows directed two fire elementals to attack Gaal's minions - needless to say, Gaal was not the victor. We reported our success to the Helmite Temple, went to our bank at the Waukeen's Promenade and ended our session here.

Was happy to successfully get by this quest, considering my last run failed here - granted the character was solo.

Edited by corey_russell, 20 April 2013 - 05:50 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nil Desperandum - dwarf berserker (update 2)

Nil has now got past the stage Grond reached yesterday, although heI cocked up the drow city.

In Brynnlaw he just helped Ginia and got the wardstone from Perth - who failed to get a spell off after being slowed by FoA.  His book offered up farsight, invisibility and wyvern call, but Nil kept going until eventually finding spell turning.  It's unlikely, but I suppose that could potentially stop a maze or imprisonment at some pointPosted Image.

A few undead were no real barrier to Nil getting himself captured by Irenicus.  He briefly saw Imoen again before sending her on her way.

No problems in escaping the Asylum.  There was a first use of spell turning against the beholder - it scared itself just before dying from FoA.  That encounter also got Nil to level 18 and grand mastery in flails.  The lich and his team were much less affected by sunray than I hoped (I don't think any died) and Nil did retreat down the corridor there to take them on one at a time before coming back to finish the lich off.  A couple of summons helped split up the yuan-ti - the final mage was one of many I've seen whose contingency's been just too slow.

On the next level Nil failed to open the golem's chest and had to use a stone giant strength potion (don't remember doing that last time).  Killing the golems got him to level 19.  Grophinet's machine disgorged boots of speed and boots of the north.

Against Irenicus Nil used spell turning before running back and killing his clone.  A dispelling arrow found in the Asylum made Irenicus vulnerable and Nil used rage and came in to melee. Irenicus was already at near death when Wanev used his time stop and various forms of damage finished him off.
Posted Image

After exiting with Saemon, Nil briefly returned to the Asylum looking for goodies.  A golem in the way got him to level 20 and a spot of hardiness.  Nil soon found himself in Fish City, which seemed very familiar - feels like only yesterday I was therePosted Image.  No problems in killing the king (and then the prince).  I had to be careful with Grond the kensai to avoid encounters with groups, but Nil (with significantly better effective AC against most enemies) is far less troubled by those.

Shinning down a rope to the Underdark was enough for Nil to achieve level 21 (whirlwind; also took halberd proficiency on Gate70's advice). Killed some kuo-toa and drow and released prisoners from a giant soul gem - allowing Gont as well as the deep gnome to go free this time.

Meleed a Balor for the gnomes before seeking out Adalon.  At this point I was almost up to where Grond died yesterday and was thinking about what should be done after that rather than concentrating on current affairs - resulting in this ...
Posted Image
Can't really argue with the guard's commentPosted Image - looks like no nice items for sale from the drow merchants!  However, learning from his mistake Nil reached level 22 (greater whirlwind) by killing the door guard.  I wasn't sure what to do in this situation, but presumed I could still fight through to get the eggs and proceeded to do that.  The only drow to put up any sort of fight were the Matron Guards in the temple.  To start with I assumed that they were just tougher, but eventually twigged I was attacking with fists after switching to a bow against a handmaiden.  The golems guarding the eggs also had strange movement patterns (not being allowed to move outside the room) and Nil had to keep moving to avoid being boxed in and retreated once to regenerate with Gaxx before defeating them (I'm still avoiding any use of healing potions in this run).

I wasn't sure if taking the eggs would seal the city's gates and require the whole city to be cleared, but Nil had no problems in exiting straight away.  Although I've got the eggs, which would presumably pacify Adalon, I feel that Nil should try and take revenge for Tiamat, so a dragon fight will be first (hopefully not lastPosted Image) on the agenda for next time.

Nil Desperandum, berserker L22, 136 HPs ( incl. 5 from Helm), 835 kills

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

Tamorlin is a pretentious so and so, and Viconia starts to wonder how she can un-heal him. We move on, defeating a balor and three cornugons before Kronk thrusts his arm into a strange pillar - and fiery plumes descend on us. Mazzy reminds Kronk of his evil alignment from slayering Sarevok and steps forward instead to retrieve the Purifier bastard sword that appears to be surplus to requirements and defies her attempt at paladinhood.

Viconia casts mass heal in the pocket plane but Sarevok has so many hp’s (159, Kronk and Mazzy only have 124 and 126) that he is not fully wounded. Jaheira tops his healing up and we return after a rest, to head east from the pillar (and into dodgier territory but Yakman’s book indicates a battle may not be next, at least for my party who are led by CE Kronk and have no paladin).

Tahazzar does indeed want to talk and Kronk is eager to oblige (thieves hood please). We buff, Jaheira and Viconia being careful to master Wondrous Recall -
  • What is stated about Wondrous Recall: Will Recall 2 spells of level 1-5.
  • What is not stated about Wondrous Recall: Partial results if you select another character before the spell completes. Typically only one spell being restored, so not at all recommended in combat unless you are happy to leave the party to their own devices while casting.
With the buffs complete we hope the next area doesn’t de-buff us as happened at the Purifier pillar. Our hopes are dashed and we stand still as Imoen urgently checks for traps, but a demon fear scares Jaheira into running through a trap. We quickly kill the cornugons and a pit fiend before dealing with two Velithuu who although they may look salamanderish are not susceptible to being Waved. Another pocket plane rest is called for as Jaheira has glugged two extra healers to stay alive.

At this point the party arrived back at the keep but Kronk was left in the pocket plane and the two couldn’t join up again. Kronk opened up his barbarian de-buggers guide at the CLUAConsole:MoveToArea(“AR3004”) page.

We arrive unbuffed in the next room to face a succubus and alu-fiends. Kronk and Sarevok immediately feel a bit giddy so Kronk berserks as Viconia casts chaotic commands on Sarevok and Jaheira does the same to Mazzy. As Kronk and Mazzy attack we notice Jaheira has been charmed so Sarevok and Imoen add spirit armour and mirror images to their stoneskins. After defeating the enemies we cast a dispel behind Jaheira and have another pocket plane rest.

Next we face Ka’rashur who realises we have a deal with Tahazzar and attacks. We have various buffs active but our mages mirror image as a flesh golem and fallen deva are summoned to help us. We take no injuries in this battle, then head south to deal with three glabrezu intent on summoning salamanders and fire elementals - Wave fodder (all four killed as the party eliminate the glabrezu). Yakman has indicated in his journal that we must travel west next.

A group of tieflings are here (wild magic zone) but we are still buffed and make short work of them - not short enough though as a wyvern flying over our heads (cut-scene as per Cloakwood; puzzling for a second and then I saw why).
Posted Image

Not even a cow summoned onto Aranthis is going to distract us(well, maybe a bit but not enough). As we tidy up their corpses a tiefling assassin uses assassination to attack Viconia - she’s got an armour class of -12 while everybody else is in single figures - talk about selecting the wrong target.

Viconia and Jaheira try to heal Mazzy slightly and although Mazzy survives being blinded the second cure in this wild magic zone arrives to burst flames onto us (oops, forgot). Mazzy is hardly wounded anyway so we decide to carry on. The journal indicates we should head north - where we came from. Kronk decides to pocket plane and buff a bit more in case there is a demon wraith or something crazy waiting for us.

(A mistake on my part, was a room ahead of myself:) Instead we find ourselves facing a cambion so Kronk and Mazzy kill him as Imoen casts true sight. Four demon knights teleport in and are promptly despatched. North again says the journal, and Kronk grins as he spies a demon wraith. We risk the traps to kill the wraith and release his trapped slave spirits (although one remains, but doesn’t attack despite being hostile). The portal to the south returns us to the previous area so we return and go north to be greeted by Aesgareth. Kronk is non-committal, so we can pocket plane.

Cespenar forges white dragon armour and the circlet of Netheril. Plus some bards gloves (not usable). Then we return to Karthis on the Marching Mountain road, sell some gear and head back into the Keep through the side door (which I find safer than trying to traverse the teleport maze backwards). Tahazzer trades the heart of Ka’rashur for the thieves hood and move on.

We take a wrong turn somewhere and have to fight quasits in a wild magic zone (should have dealt with Aesgareth to open the next level really - oh well). Eventually we reach him and prepare to negotiate for the exit.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nil Desperandum - dwarf berserker (update 3)

Nil prepared to fight Adalon by summoning his simmy for the first time.  Both of them buffed against cold before summoning berserk warriors.  Also for the first time, Ilbratha was used to generate mirror images.  While the others meleed, the real Nil remained at range and used a few dispelling arrows to get rid of stoneskins.  Adalon countered with a remove magic at the simmy and a wing buffet that scattered everyone.  While the others re-engaged, Nil summoned Ras and started firing arrows again.  A couple more buffets slowed the attack down after that and, by the time the swords and simmy had been unsummoned and the berserk warriors killed, Adalon was only to injured status.  Her protections were down though and a greater whirlwind got her to badly injured, but Nil was also taking damage and switched to running round under potion of speed firing arrows at her - he was able to ignore her breath, while turning a few chromatic orbs back on her. 

With his HPs back up well above 90 (he would have been vulnerable to PW:stun for a while if Adalon had used that earlier) I was thinking about coming back into melee when the dragon keeled over (level 23 - hardiness).

The drow city being hostile appeared to have prevented the ambush that cost Grond's life spawning so Nil went straight on to the kuo-toa hideout.  Had a slightly worrying moment there when I tried to kill a wizard, but fresh troops arriving boxed Nil in.  However, a Gaxx haste created a hole to run out before he took much damage.  In the corridors the kuo-toa soon fell, leaving only the prince.  Another Gaxx haste got him to near death, but Nil had no more speedy attacks and had to retreat.  After resting he returned - a greater whirlwind would have killed the prince if he hadn't got scared and ran, but a follow-up whirlwind completed the job.  I left the demon knights alone and just killed a few drow on the way to the surface.

Nil Desperandum, berserker L23, 139 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 890 kills

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Nice work Nil! Way to get revenge on Adalon! + Go Kronk! Go Setben!

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Setben the halfling fighter/thief update....
Traveling with: Minsc, Anomen, Nalia, Aerie, (Jaheira, Keldorn)

While Setben has made tremendous progress, he also has taken great casualties.

First the good news - Setben managed to pick-pocket Kangaxx's Gaxx ring on Kangaxx's left finger, and then killed Kangaxx and got the Gaxx ring from Kangaxx right finger! What a deal! Setben got one of the rings, and Minsc got the other one, seeing how Minsc needs both the saves and AC help when he dual wields.

A lot of action in the bridge district this session. An enemy in a warehouse was defeated easily due to chaos and inquisitor dispel magic, a lich wiped out via protection from undead scroll, and the skinner murders solved. When Setben wears his shield and full plate +1 his AC is -10, so the rune assassins weren't any problem.

The party triggered a Cowled Wizard ambush (on purpose) and won. The reasoning was this way the party can use arcane buffs vs. Captain Dennis, because I thought the Cowled only appear once every 8 hours. Well, I was wrong, they appeared much sooner and we were completely unprepared. The Cowled opened with horror and EVERYONE failed their save except Setben. Setben tried to sling, but once he got their attention he ran for his life. He had his genie distract the Cowleds for a bit, but not before the Cowleds CHUNKED Jaheria! Then Minsc then Keldorn were slain. However, Nalie and Aerie got a hold of themselves and assisted Setben vs. the Cowleds,and they won, mainly due to frost wand used repeatedly.
Posted Image

While I dont mind a 5 person party, I really want more healing, so we recruited Anomen. Anomen also can use a lot of equipment that Jaheira used. Now that we have Anomen's Ariel Servants, we thought that we were ready to end the threat of the Shadow Dragon in Umar Temple area.

Keldorn and Minsc tanked with Ariel Servants helping, with the mages mostly using lightning wands, and Anomen and Setben using their slings. The battle went pretty smooth, except Keldorn got CHUNKED! Unfortunately for Setben, because Keldorn got killed by level drain, all his equipment is permanently lost as well. This is the destroyed items:
* Lilacor
* ring of earth control
* cloak of the sewers
* gauntlet of dexterity
* crossbow of accuracy
* shield from Maduff
Posted Image

Setben will not give up, though, and so next session recruit a fighter, probably Mazzy.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk
Travelling with Mazzy, Sarevok, Imoen, Viconia and Jaheira (party order).

Cespenar forges the Thieves Hood (Imoen) and then Kronk is ready to wager with Aesgareth.

Kronk draws Strife (slowed), Aesgareth Triumph (attacked by fighters). Kronk has won Spectral Brand (Jaheira finally has a top notch melee weapon).

There is no real need for the Wish scroll but Kronk decides to try his luck anyway.Guile (a group of assassins) and Empress (don't know) means Aesgareth wins this time. The third game is for the way out of the Keep, Kronk drawing High Priestess (silence) and Aesgareth drawing Wheel (don't know). Viconia removes the silence curse from Kronk and the party can continue.

The next level sees Kronk dominated by a mind flayer psionic blast (before control is returned), while Sarevok manages to save. Mazzy takes three flayers down before having run run from Kronk and kills the rest while Kronk chases Sarevok. Then Imoen becomes target and leads Kronk away before switching to her staff and vanishing. Once Kronk recovers another pocket plane rest is taken.

Kronk, berserker 23. 1283 kills (433 BG1, 850 SoA), Bodhi.
Mazzy, fighter 22. 350 kills, Niz.
Sarevok, fighter 18 > mage 11. 6 kills, iron golem.
Imoen, thief 7 > mage 20. 93 kills, Il Khan battle mage.
Viconia, cleric 25. 98 kills, Shangalar.
Jaheira, fighter 15 / druid 14. 224 kills, Unseeing Eye.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

A horde of trolls force us to move back slightly only to find a group of devil shades have flanked us. Kronk stands firm as Mazzy retreats, while Sarevok is level drained. Once the focus is on Kronk everybody else adds their weight. Viconia summons a fallen deva and some energy blades while Sarevok is frying trolls. Jaheira has brought the insects out but Imoen kills the remaining shades with a wilt.

A pair of magic golems don’t last long then Mazzy Crom’s two trolls (pity she had the wrong weapon in use earlier). Then we head into a gith encampment and find they are able to offer little resistance. Sarevok opens a door and a wave of heat emanates past us - time to break out the fire resistant gear.

Saladrax doesn’t fall for fighting Kronk or Mazzy, oh no. He starts on Imoen who is hit once despite her images and buffs then moves to Sarevok. He is de-buffed so runs. Kronk and Mazzy use GWW’s to keep up with him as Imoen casts a warding whip. A moment or two later Kronk and the Dragon’s Breath halberd claim another victim (total time is about 2/3rds of an enrage so 40 seconds or so).

Sarevok opens the next door and the stale odour of death wafts past. A lich, so everybody gathers round to draw up plans but nobody can agree. After a few moments Viconia turns to Kronk and tells him to decide. “Um” says Kronk “I got a bit cross with you all arguing and went down just now. It took 11 hits but my shield and rage together with all those other buffs you did when fighting the dragon made it easy”.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Keep focused Kronk! I have no idea what kinds of threats you are facing, but they sound deadly.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

We nip through the illithid encampment with no serious issues. More shadows are in the rooms to the west, easily killed this time. Rock and Garock seem to be OK (tough as minotaurs go but Kronk and Mazzy are able to stand their ground) but as Kronk Waves the salamanders he realises Rock has hit Jaheira; he tells her to move but at that moment a second hit lands and she expires. Rock is alone now and Viconia treats him to an implosion as everybody targets him. Then Viconia raises Jaheira again.

After getting Carston out of the machine (screenshot below for those who haven’t seen this wonderful device, things move and it sounds a bit like a steam train with all the noises) various buttons and levers are pressed as if Kronk had picked up and stored the various notes of Lum the Mad.Posted Image

Results;
Storm Star mace +3.
Kronk: +5% magic resistance, +1 strength / dexterity / constitution / charisma.
Viconia: +1 wisdom.Imoen: +1 intelligence.

(Mazzy is using Crom Faeyr for constant strength 25, Kronk has natural strength 24)

Cespenar upgrades the Storm Star flail, the Dagger of the Stars and the clay golem manual. Then we return to Watchers Keep and head into the Lower Reaches. We buff for the first of three Helmite ghost challenges - the horde. How many orcs did they face?

Kronk from 1316 to 1324. +8.
Mazzy from 377 to 378. +1.
Sarevok from 7 to 7.0.
Imoen from 105 to 108 (2 meteor storms which Kronk and Mazzy braved). +3.
Viconia from 102 to 102. 0.
Jaheira from 236 to 242. +6.

II thought it was a lot more than 18 but scrolled through the text box and it was right. Anyway, on to the second challenge of a nameless green dragon. “Dragon” is not as bright as Saladrax, concentrating on Mazzy until she is buffeted and then switching to Kronk. Meanwhile it has been doomed and warding whipped.Posted Image

The third challenge is a couple of riddles against an imp. The first is quickly solved but Kronk needs two attempts to work out the second (I worked it out this time instead of referring to a guide). Back to Cespenar to forge Ixil’s Spike +6 (another decent 2 handed weapon for Kronk).

(No romance from Viconia, presumably failing to complete it before finishing SoA has zapped it. Also looking like Sarevok is going to struggle to reach mage 19 and re-activate his fighter levels - I won’t be parked on the walls of Saradush potting fire giants to get there).

Edited by Gate70, 20 April 2013 - 10:10 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Krooonk! Kronk is king!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I wish. Not sure if you’ve done Throne of Bhaal. Even standard enemies can be troublesome and the first encounter below is an example of how six against two doesn’t go to plan.

Kronk

Kronk needs to know his limits, two fire giants hack through his hardiness and with four hits have him running. Mazzy has cast GWW and finishes the first off and the second doesn’t last much longer.

“I need a break” says Kronk, spotting a table-top game nearby. He inserts a credit (the skull of the eternal warrior taken from the green dragon) and guides the eternal warrior through the maze (n.b. killing the eternal warrior also kills the player, good job Baldur’s Gate isn’t quite so pedantic).

Avatars of Kronk and his party are on the tabletop, Kronk appearing to be a spirit warrior. He heads east and chunks a goblin (yep, that’s Kronk alright) then goes east again to examine a treasure chest only to find a skeleton to dismantle. There is a wand of missiles in the chest - the avatar of Imoen is so excited even two rooms away that she levels up.

North, a war dog to kill before picking up a key and quaffing a blue potion. West where a gibberling scroll is found. West again - don’t drink from the fountain Kronk!Posted Image

Kronk heads north instead and dissipates a ghost before examining a drawer which turns out to contain a magical helm - on it goes without asking. East and then east again where another desk is found. The drawer here is trapped and a powerful poison is shrugged off by the hardy constitution, allowing some bracers to be taken and worn.

North, where the scroll is used against a gibberling - it runs away. West to a room with a chest, opened with the key and a blue potion inside is glugged. West again through an ominous archway and into a crypt where a mummy makes itself known. The wand of missiles is used and then some axe wielding fells the mummy. With every room of the maze puzzle investigated and the game completed the party find themselves returned to their bodies with a large key to boot. Kronk and Mazzy have levelled up too.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kronk

Another pocket plane rest, then back to Watchers Keep and a door to the west of the final seal. A bunch of spiders aren’t too much trouble, other than slowing Kronk. Once they are dead Imoen casts improved haste on him and Sarevok fiddles with a machine.

Red globes. 1) Hobgoblins manage a dispel as the mage and shaman arrived late and weren’t spotted. 2)  Kuo-toa. 3) Trolls, Crom’d. 4) Game globe;  Greater wolfweres.

Blue globes. 1) Mage. 2) Mage. 3) Game globe; Mage, dispels. 4) Mage.

Green globes. 1) Game globe; Mutated spiders. 2) Umber Hulks. 3) Greater earth elementals. 4) Elder Orb, Hive Mother, Death Tyrant. Kronk berserks, Mazzy GWW’s, Sarevok summons the clay golem, Imoen casts Improved Alacrity, Viconia summons the genie and Jaheira summons a plague of insects. Mazzy kills the Death Tyrant as Imoen completes her casting. Kronk and Mazzy GWW as Imoen casts warding whip (auto-pause turned on). A fireball disrupts Imoen’s wilt so she casts chain lightning as Jaheira is petrified.

Kronk drops the Elder Orb and Viconia flails the Hive Mother before Imoen can complete her next wilt. Kronk digs out a stone to flesh scroll and realises that he needs to buy some more as Jaheira starts to breathe again. Viconia heals her in one go but the party buffs have been annihilated so Kronk arranges a pocket plane rest.

Purple globes. 1) Skeleton warriors. 2) Devil Shades (& shadow fiends). 3) Game globe; Vampires. 4) Liches (was expecting these so had IA and true sight running with a fallen planetar and clay golem nearby). One falls to Mazzy’s mace, the other is zapped by Imoen’s remove magic (thanks for the comments earlier in the week about liches, helped me there and need to add a few more removes into the party repertoire).

The Final Seal is next, Kronk expecting three tough battles but hoping his preparations are sufficient.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Not sure if you’ve done Throne of Bhaal.

Nope. The last time I played regularly, I tried to no-reload BG2 with a full loadout of Tactics. Needless to say, I never made it past Irenicus. Its worse now that I've discovered BGT. It seems much harder with a puny low-level character.

So from my perspective, you're doing brilliantly! Charge, Kronk! (Cautiously, though ;))

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
 Setben the level 10 fighter/13 thief continues his adventure...
Traveling with: Korgan, Minsc, Anomen, Aerie, Imoen
Permanently killed: Jaheira, Keldorn
Abandoned Setben: Mazzy

Setben has done all the Chatper Two quests he is going to do - he's leaving the rest for Imoen. He had just finished taking out Bodhi, when Mazzy's personal quest triggered. Unfortunately, when we went to her home in Trademeet, the wrong Danno was present. I didn't know how to CLUAConsole the right one. I tried resting/leaving, even to the point Mazzy complains, but no good, can't complete the quest. I can't have my tank leaving in the middle of Spellhold/Underdark, nor can I have the tank leave with my important items (SoH, etc.). So Setben had to tell her he wasn't going to help Mazzy, and Mazzy then left Setben.

So Setben then recruited Korgan, did his personal quest, and finally we are ready to sail for Brynnlaw. Gold is really hurting, so we definitely won't be buying much. Our reputation was dangerously high (18), if we accidentally got any rep Korgan would leave. So for the first time Corey_Russell killed Ginia in Brynnlaw (-9 rep). Korgan is definitely pulling his weight however.

Setben was happy to see Imoen in Spellhold, small progress made so far in Spellhold, no trouble so far.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
@Corey - Sounds like your teammates are giving you a rough go, what with their complaining and getting chunked. Way to stay flexible (practically and morally... Poor Ginia.)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 18 - (update 2)
Quash, dwarf barbarian (Grond0) & Berud, dwarf barbarian (Gate70)

The first item on the agenda was to pick up a new(ish) pair of pantaloons.  That meant stopping off at the Graveyard before moving on to the Bridge District.  While there, rage allowed a horn to be quickly recovered, as well as chunking an ambushing Hareishan.  The skinner murders were easily solved - no bone golem turned up and the Rune Assassins were not pleased to see that both characters were able to shrug off backstabs.

Collecting the pantaloons cost 2 reputation, but that was quickly recovered by releasing the girl we forgot about earlier near the slaver trolls and reporting back to Hendak.

Renfeld had been stuffed in a backpack for quite some time now, but surprisingly was still resisting a virulent poison when returned to Harper HQ.  Xzar was not so lucky when reunited with 'Montaron'.

With plenty of money Gaelan was paid.  1% of the fee was quickly recovered by selling the amulet of wealthpower, before going to revenge Mook and chunk some more vampires hanging round Sansuki.  Before continuing with Aran's quests the duo felt they should clear the senior undead from the city.  A couple of scrolls of undead protection later and some brisk walking across the city and 4 liches were dead.  Berud was using Lilarcor, so could not touch Kangaxx, but Daystar proved quite sufficient for that on its own.  There were probably about 4 turns unused of the scrolls when Kangaxx fell (in hindsight we could have opened up vampire HQ earlier and done that with the scrolls as well).

A Guild Contact led us to the Graveyard and a collection of vampires.  Rage was enough to deal with everything upstairs and downstairs except Tanova.  We thought it was worth a quick assault on her to see what happened and were pleased to see her fried in a Daystar sunray.  Bodhi put up her typical minimal resistance for a round or so.

Neb handed over some illithium allowing the MoD to be upgraded.  While waiting for the ore merchant to produce some alloy for Sir Sarles, we went to an inn.  A rival dwarf was in our favourite room so obviously needed to be evicted.  That was slightly harder than I anticipated as Quash got stuck in a conversation with Mencar that triggered after Brennan Riesling was chunked at the start of the fight.  Berud and Quash both used a rare potion of extra-healing there in finishing off the fighters.

After slobbing around in an inn for quite a while (using glasses to identify items) the duo went back to Watcher's Keep.  A couple of statues were beaten up, although the fight there was much harder than we've been used to and several more potions of healing were taken before Foebane was ours.

At this point things seemed to move into overdrive a bit as the barbarians, now equipped with good weapons and high level for their encounters, started powering through the opposition.  The Trademeet quests were all completed without incident (the rakshasas were left alone), gaining Quash Belm for his final weapon upgrade for a while.  On to Umar Hills, where there were surprisingly no liches to stop us.  The two groups of undead were still enough to cause significant damage to Quash, but without requiring any use of potions.  The Shade Lord got destroyed before his buffs went up. 

The duo are currently in the middle of buffing for an encounter with Thaxy.

Stats
Quash, barbarian L14, 115 HPs (including 5 from Helm), 519 kills
Berud, barbarian L14, 141 HPs (including 12 from ioun stone), 447 kills
With Quash now dual-wielding high-quality weapons he has started re-opening the kills gap a bit.

Edited by Grond0, 21 April 2013 - 05:48 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
The final action of the night (last night) for Kronk proves to be his final action.

Ferrumach Rilmani looked to be suffering but Kronk has foolishly fought without resting. He either had no death ward or it was de-buffed and despite Kronk being enraged there is a pfft noise as Kronk's hand flies into the air.

Sarevok is scrabbling about trying to capture the dissipating essence of Bhaal to make another attempt at assuming his ascension to godhood.

(write out 300 times, must rest when buffs start expiring in Watchers Keep)

n.b. Sarevok experimented, think Kronk survived the cones of cold & prismatic spray, then there was a death fog that I can't remember so wonder if that was it. Need to check saving throws etc. but it looks as though he switches between melee and these three spells repeatedly.

Edited by Gate70, 21 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.