Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
 Karix decides to go for it, his cunning plan is to get hit less often. Why didn't he think of that before? It seems to work, with a DUHM-kai seeing a cambion felled in two hits.

The remainder of the underground complex is cleared with the cheapest items dumped when inventory space is at a premium. An oil of speed helps clear the mephit portal and gut Ulvaryl but guile has to be used when retrieving the sword of chaos. Yoshimo did his usual pack rat run and told Karix to meet him in the Copper Coronet but the dwarf is in no rush for a re-union with his brief acquaintance.

Once outside he has a brief trip to the circus where Kalah is complaining about another loophole in his contract, what with spiders and stabby kensai's there are more holes in it than in him. Or maybe not.

After purchasing a gem bag, scroll case and the RoAC Karix is encouraged to re-make his fortune by Gaelan Bayle. Glasses of identification are a good start and Brus leads the way to the Copper Coronet where Nalia can be found, but Karix has other ideas and doesn't venture inside. Instead he heads for Watchers Keep and is ambushed by Suna Seni and her slavers. Karix goes invisible and casts DUHM to kill the slavers, then he offhands the Arbane short sword.

At Watchers Keep he tells Odren to put up or shut up, and gains entry. Sister Garlena buys some loot while Karix picks up a potion case and steps inside. A few mephits have a bad day and then Karix uses invisibility to grab an ammo belt. His dwarven nose can't detect any other valuable or treasured items within easy reach so he heads outside again.

There are jobs aplenty at the docks, and remnants of a mad cleric. Renal Bloodscalp wants evidence of treachery while Mae'Var wants an amulet mis-appropriated. On the way Karix agrees to investigate the cult of the Unseeing Eye, the fallen paladins and the foppish Sir Sarles. His return is fortuitous for Renfeld and a couple of buildings will need investigating for Edwin and Xzar.

A steady start with no real danger. With Arbane and the RoAC obtained there are a few easy jobs to pick up but I'm tempted to go for another item or two earlier than previous runs.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
A Quick Note On the Jester's Song

It just occurred to me that some players reading Alisa's run may not be aware of how the Jester's Song works since the in game description is wrong and the mechanics are non-obvious. I thought I'd take a moment to explain.

First the semi-obvious: the Jester's Song is activated just like any other bard song- by clicking the lyre icon. Activating it does not count as a spell equivalent action and -with micromanagement- it is possible to both attack and sing in the same round.

As for the effect, the in game description is right about one thing: the Jester's Song causes Confusion. Everything else is off though. The description states the wrong save bonus number and -crucially- neglects to mention that the song improves with levels. Here's what the song actually does.

Levels 1-14

Confusion, Save v. Spells at +2 to avoid
No Dispel, Bypass Resistances
Duration: 7

Levels 15-20

and

Slow, Save v. Spells to avoid

Levels 21+

and

Slow, Save v. Spells to avoid

and

Sleep, Save v. Spells at +2 to avoid

So, that's that: now you know. =]

(Alisa's adventures will resume shortly.)

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 24 April 2013 - 01:38 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Grond, I'm actually very glad that you can't enter Watcher's Keep. You'll probably out-Kronk Kronk this way.

Gate, Here's to more adventures with Karix slicing up the opposition before they can pose any real threat!

Go Alisa! Get those slavers to enslave themselves...

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
(Although, on second thought, getting locked out of Watcher's could be a blessing in disguise: At least Nil won't be tempted to get himself killed in there...)

Blind_Visionary wrote...
Grond, I'm actually very glad that you can't enter Watcher's Keep. You'll probably out-Kronk Kronk this way.

I was conscious of the upside myself.  Although I was definitely planning to clear the top level statues and collect Foebane. I was tending towards not doing any of the rest of it (which I've never done in single player).

Edited by Grond0, 24 April 2013 - 04:21 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nil Desperandum - dwarf berserker (update 8)

Grond0 wrote...
Nil is now preparing for his next pocket plane challenge.

... but not very well.

The second pocket plane challenge was by far the hardest fight Nil has had in ToB so far, but Nil eventually triumphed after battling for something like an hour (still without using healing potions).

His problems began when he got sent in unbuffed after being transported before he expected it.  He was facing Angelo, Semaj, Tamoko and a duplicate of himself.  Initially Nil attacked his duplicate with a GWW, but I was scared of being close to Semaj and Angelo without being raged and backed away after 2 or 3 hits.  The duplicate was under haste (as well as using HLAs itself), so at this stage was moving faster than Nil and I also wasted time demonstrating that all the attackers ignored invisibility. 

Angelo was shooting arrows at him and did a bit of damage before Nil finally dug into his pack to find the reflection shield to foil those.  However, he found it initially difficult to stay ahead of the duplicate (which, incidentally, dispelled magic on hitting, so quickly destroying the first couple of attempted potions of speed) and Nil hit a low point of 79 HPs, i.e. being vulnerable to PW:stun, before micro-managing movement patterns allowed him to open up just enough of a gap to gulp another potion of speed and run round and regenerate for a while.  Just as he was feeling more comfortable about things a minor control error let the duplicate get an attack in and the 2-handed sword licked out in a further attack that immediately dispelled the new potion of speed (taking him back down to 74 HPs).  There were then a nervous few moments before Nil was able to take another. There was one further control error, letting him get hit again (but this time he got away immediately) before the duplicate's haste expired making it relatively easy for Nil to stay out of reach of it after that.

Even after having fully regenerated Nil was wary of getting hit again by a dispelling blow from his duplicate.  I was conscious Nil still needed to keep out of touch range of the mages, thus he switched to Gesen and started targeting Semaj with the odd shot.  The mage healed himself with potions a number of times, but eventually got scared and was finished off.  Nil took yet another potion of speed (I think 6 of the 12 he had in his pack were used in this single combat), while shooting Angelo (who had a huge number of healing potions himself), but eventually he went down as wellTamoko was relatively easy compared to the earlier ones, just leaving the duplicate.  On his own he proved to be an easy victim - after equipping his best shield, Nil used hardiness then rage and then attacked with Blackrazor - the second GWW proving enough (I missed the moment of death before the scene changed, but here's the impact of the second GWW).

Nil Desperandum, berserker L40, 214 HPs (incl. 5 from helm), 1,434 kills

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
The second pocket plane challenge was by far the hardest fight Nil has had in ToB so far, but Nil eventually triumphed after battling for something like an hour (still without using healing potions).

Glad to hear Nil made it Grond0!

(Btw. In my install, Pocket Plane Challenge 2 is among the trickiest fights: a high movement rate and a low speed factor dispelling weapon with reach is a dangerous combination. That's frequently a lengthy, nerve-wracking battle for my characters.)

Edited by Alesia_BH, 24 April 2013 - 04:37 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Grond0, I think you've answered your question of who will out-Kronk Kronk! Go Nil Desperandum!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 18 - (update 5)
Quash, dwarf barbarian (Grond0) & Berud, dwarf barbarian (Gate70)

After the rigours of the Pocket Plane with Nil I thought I would relax for a bit in multiplayer - or not.

With just a few hard bits of work outstanding before setting off for Spellhold the barbarian chums started by investigating the Planar Prison.

We'd agreed that each character would move to the side they appeared on for the first fight, but in hindsight that probably wasn't optimal.  Berud, with significantly worse AC, faced the mass of opposition and took a lot of damage before Quash came to help out (while his sole opponent was invisible).  However, they triumphed.

Moving on they successfully dragged some of the thralls back (using summons) for easy disposal, making the battle with the yuan-ti mages rather more straightforward than usual.  The Master of Thralls was just rushed and overwhelmed (both barbarians having very good saves against death).

For the Warden they again used summons to pull some of the opponents back, including 2 of the 3 yuan-ti mages, before raging for the main attack.  At this point the Warden has just fallen, leaving a pretty simple clean-up operation for the remaining enemies.

We discussed whether we should use any green scrolls for the Twisted Rune, but eventually decided to just rely on our native abilities.  Quash, with his better saving throws, initially attracted the attention of Shangalar and his friends.  He rapidly beat down Vaxall, before calling for Berud to come and deal with Shyressa the vampire before rage wore off.
Posted Image

Revanek lasted only seconds longer, but the mage and the demi-lich were not easy targets inside their fire shields. It would have made sense at this point to pause the action while equipping fire protection items, but instead Quash tried to run round Layene waiting for buffs to expire. Unfortunately, the continued presence of a meteor shower meant there was very little room to do that and Quash got mazed, leaving Berud on his own (he immediately raged himself).  In fact the mages seemed to have little left at this point and Berud was left untroubled for the short period until the intelligent Quash reappeared.  Some acid arrows soon accounted for Layene and then Berud bore in on Shangalar to destroy the demi-lich.

The duo have now arrived at the Guarded Compound, which should be their last objective before setting off for Spellhold.

Stats
Quash, barbarian L19, 130 HPs (including 5 from Helm), 768 kills
Berud, barbarian L18, 155 HPs (including 14 from ioun stone), 604 kills

Edited by Grond0, 24 April 2013 - 05:58 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Barbarian duo!! Rage and engage!

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: Around and About Athkatla

Alisa has completed the Slaver Quest as planned and is now ready to venture forth from the city.

After approaching the Beastmaster under cover of insivibility, Alisa dropped him and his pets in spider form. Aside from Polymorph Self, the buffs here were Blur, Mirror Image, Ghost Armor, and Draw on Holy Might.
Posted Image

A trip to the promenade to pick up the RoAC was next- followed by a visit from an old friend: Suna Seni.

Alisa had been travelling Invisible and was pre-buffed with Polymorph Self, Ghost Armor, and Minor Spell Deflection.She had hoped to layer in more buffs, but a divination cast from Suna's priest accelerated her plans. She readied her Potion of Firebreath and quaffed
Posted Image.

RoAC II->Blur->Mirror Image->Poymorph:Spider->DuHM for the finish.
Posted Image

The Renfeld ambush happened soon after. Initially invisible once again -and with a depleted spellbook, not to mention a consummed RoAC- Alisa was tempted to slide on pass. She only chaged her mind when she noticed that the mage appeared to lack Divination magicks- providing an avenue for risk free heroism. She used her Jester's Song to nudge the Bandits into decking the Mage. And once his hitpoints were low enough, Alisa one hit nixed him out of invisibility. And once he was gone the rest could be ended safely.
Posted Image

Following completion of the Renfeld quest, Alisa picked up the Pale Green Ioun stone and the Boots of Avoidance before finishing off the slavers. Invisibility got her to the Love Boat without incident. And her Spider form buff regiment -now enhanced with Stoneskins- ended Haegan and Pals.
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for the Trolls, they got the Flind (NW: The Halbred does one HP of fire damage). The children were free.
Posted Image

Having made a few more purchases following the Slaver Quest, Alisa is now ready to leave Athkatla. She'll likely do so this afternoon.

Best,

A.

Current Character Record and Inventory
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alesia_BH, 24 April 2013 - 06:03 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Nice going Alesia. Interesting to see the items used against Suna Seni and little left for Renfeld, same for Karix but the Renfeld crew were stupid enough to try a tag-team approach against him.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nil Desperandum - dwarf berserker (update 9)

Nil is still going and has removed another ToB obstacle, but I'm getting very dubious about his chance of success based on the present rate of progress.  After many years of 'saving up' ToB for no-reload I really don't want to review and plan ahead for future encounters, but I suspect that lack of advance planning will ultimately be his downfall.

Nil travelled to Amkethran and was given directions by Balthazar to find Sendai and Abazigal.  I couldn't remember whether Balthazar himself featured further at this stage, but had a wander round the town exploring.  Speaking to Marlowe led Nil to an encounter with Vongoethe.  I was tempted to help the lich, but eventually decided to continue Nil's career of violence and attacked him.  A couple of GWWs with iMoD killed the lich and the immediate summons he brought in, but Nil could not seem to reach any of the skeleton archers, even when apparently standing next to them, so resorted to Gesen for those.  Vongoethe proved to have no worthwhile treasure, though there was one door that Nil couldn't open, even after using one of his 2 storm giant strength potions.

Helping some smugglers against high-handed monks allowed Nil to buy some gargoyle boots.  However, despite the innkeeper suggesting they knew of a way into the fortress, they gave no clues about that and eventually Nil decided to travel to the Oasis to see what was happening there.

On arrival at the Oasis Nil found himself in a battle with what turned out to be bounty hunters (do these guys never learn?).  This time he took the offensive by immediately raging and attacking the nearby mage - who went down to a single hit.  I decided the shield of the order and piercing belt was a better option than the reflex while engaging in melee and Nil took very few hits while the 5 GWW and 1 WW he had left for the day finished off most of the opposition before his rage cooled.  After resting, he cleared Jamis Tombelthen and the rest of the Oasis, but there didn't seem to be anything there so Nil travelled straight on to Abazigal's Lair.

At the Lair Nil explored until he ran into Draconis.  Quick buffs with hardiness and rage were followed by a GWW assault to kill a mislead.  Draconis countered with a time stop during which he hit Nil a number of times.  A further GWW with +4 weapons got over improved mantle, but triggered a PfMW contingency.  After a couple of laps round the room Nil returned to the attack with another GWW.  I was surprised that Draconis took hit after hit at near death, but obviously he was just waiting for an opportunity to make his speech.  Once that ended all the other attackers had disappeared, but Nil found himself being buffeted by a dragon!  Soon after, the dragon breathed out and I wondered if perhaps it might have been a good idea to check what form of breath I would be facing ahead of time (Nil had no equipment he could equip to provide instant acid protection)!  However, the breath seemed to be treated as a magic attack as Nil took no damage (I assume due to the Cloak of Mirroring).  Just in case he'd actually avoided the damage by running out of the area of effect Nil took advantage of a momentary gap to read a green scroll of acid protection while the dragon was approaching. 

The threat immediately proved to be a different one, however, as a wing buffet sent Nil injured and unconscious into a corner.  He recovered quickly though and a WW with Blackrazor killed a couple of invisible stalkers while healing him a bit.  Running under potion of speed got Nil out of sight range of Draconis while he was summoning more invisible stalkers and he brought out his simmy for the first time in quite a while.  Under assault from 2 FoA GWWs I was hoping Draconis' casting would be shut down, but he used a remove magic sequencer to get rid of the mirrors.  Before his stoneskins were worn away he also buffeted the Nils to break the attack up.  However, they quickly regrouped and rejoined the attack with another GWW each.  Draconis, under heavy pressure, went invisible, but then made the mistake of attacking again immediately and paid the price.  The simmy helped finish off the invisible stalkers before disappearing.

After a pocket plane rest Nil returned in search of Abazigal.  He discovered a room with a series of underwater tunnels (that rang vague bells from a MP run).  The first tunnel led to frost salamanders.  Their fire shield was quite painful, so they were mainly killed with Gesen.  Initially Nil couldn't manage any of the others, but then noticed the werewyvern had been carried an oxygen cylinder.  That allowed him to take a tunnel to kuo-toa and water elementals, neither of whom offered any threat, though he played safe by using Gesen on the Olhydra.  A monk offered him advice and some rope to navigate the remaining tunnels.

Using the tunnels Nil found his way into a large cave.  He noticed a non-hostile dragon there, but continued checking tunnels and moved into another area with lots of eyes.  With most of them dead he was asked to retrieve an eye stalk and decided to do that himself rather than try the suggested sub-contractor - good job he remembered to put rage up before going in to face elder orbs!  Now with a scroll of reversal Nil was able to convince the dragon to open the gates to Abazigal.

After another pocket plane rest Nil started exploring the new area.  He soon came across Abazigal along with a number of frost salamanders.  With plenty of room for manoeuvre Nil used a couple of potions of speed running round shooting the salamanders before eventually closing with Abazigal.  He was soon sent flying back as the dragon emerged from the husk of a man, while Nil put on hardiness and rage.  Seeing some lightning breath coming he also quickly slipped on the boots of grounding, but the Cloak of Mirroring again turned the breath away anyway.  Nil did get malisoned, so countered by taking a potion of invulnerability. 

This was another difficult fight, if not quite as bad as the 2nd pocket plane challenge.  What felt like an unending stream of remove magics and true sights accounted for an attempted attack with mirror image at one point, while healing with GWW Blackrazor seemed impractical because Abazigal had so many attacks per round himself.  Buffets kept Nil significantly damaged even though he was not affected by the breath.  Nil did try a couple of FoA GWW as well, but either he was rather unlucky or Abazigal is unaffected by slow.

Eventually he got a bit of space and pulled out the simmy.  Even though it was generated already at badly wounded it was still able to occupy Abazigal for a bit, allowing Nil to get a dispelling arrow in and join the attack with a GWW.  Abazigal was at near death by the time the simmy died, but Nil only had 86 HPs himself and I was in two minds about whether to continue the assault.  However, I decided to do so and fortunately Abazigal wasted time trying to breathe - he failed to get another attack in before four or five more hits from the FoA cut through his final defenses.
Posted Image

Back at the pocket plane I was hoping Cespenar would upgrade the FoA, but the stupid imp apparently didn't know the recipe to use the electrical head before the poison one. 

Nil will rest in preparation for the third pocket plane challenge.  With only three potions of speed left in his backpack he could also do with more of those, though I'm not sure if there's anywhere accessible that sells them now.

Nil Desperandum, berserker L40, 214 HPs (incl. 5 from helm), 1,558 kills

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Karix, male dwarf kensai.
It seems unfair to DUHM-II-haste Prebeb and Sanasha from the shadows so Karix says hello first and attacks as they go hostile. After chunking their three minions it is time to investigate the harper hold and give Xzar the bird. The shock assassination reminds Karix to make himself less of an easy mark.

DUHM-II-haste safely retrieves a Cloak of the Sewers. Observing the downfall of Lehtinan means Karix can purchase the Blade of Roses, and once this is equipped (charisma +2) he grabs Azuredge and the Flame Blade too.

Karix is now able to return to the temple sewers and frazzle a sea troll. He purchases a potion of fire giant strength before accepting opposing jobs from Gaal and Sassar. After restoring a level drain at a temple he heads to the Bridge district where Sansuki is screaming for help; an oil of speed and DUHM sees Azuredge kill Del and destroy her two vampires. After opening a nearby door he heads to another part of the city and rests. He then opens another door using the fire giant strength and DUHM before visiting another temple for further restoration and two protection from undead scrolls. Then on to the city gates to bash a secret door down. The preparations are done, so Karix rests and applies a protection from undead scroll.

The city gates lich falls to a single throw of Azuredge but Karix fails to open the nearby chest with DUHM so has to wait for it to expire, glug a frost giant strength potion and use his second DUHM. He grabs and identifies the Daystar sword before equipping it and strolls off.

The elemental lich is also destroyed with one toss of the axe. A few kobolds and a carrion crawler briefly distract the kensai before the shade lich is destroyed at the first attempt.

Kangaxx the lich is next, taking a brief beating from Daystar (1 critical and 3 hits) which unleashes his demi-lich form. Six hits later Karix is trying out the ring of Gaxx against  three minotaurs he sneaked past earlier.

After selling a few items Karix is greeted by Valen, who warily eyes the Azuredge and Daystar weapons as she proposes a deal. Karix is non-committal and inclined to side with Brus by returning to Gaelan Bayle.

Kensai 11, 889k xp.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0 - Sendai's troops seem to have lots of potions, possibly haste potions as well. Otherwise, only merchant once Saradush is destroyed I think is the one in the wilderness area leading to Mir Temple - note that that merchant also has a RoR, if you think you need one.

Very interesting battle account, reminds me of Picenon...

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Nil is still going and has removed another ToB obstacle

Hooray!

I'm getting very dubious about his chance of success based on the present rate of progress.

That makes one of us: I've found Nil's recent post encouraging rather than discouraging. I've been impressed with the way he's handled challenging encounters: his item switching, analysis, and decision making have looked excellent. I'm more confident in Nil now than before.

(On top of that, Mirroring + Dwarven Saves + 200HP + HLA Hardinesses makes a character tough to kill...)

Back at the pocket plane I was hoping Cespenar would upgrade the FoA, but the stupid imp apparently didn't know the recipe to use the electrical head before the poison one.

It's a shame Nil won't be able to forge Ages +4 but getting nudged away from Ages +5 could be another blessing in disquise: the Free Action while equipped has major drawbacks.

With only three potions of speed left in his backpack he could also do with more of those, though I'm not sure if there's anywhere accessible that sells them now. 

While I have, as mentioned, found Nil's tactics in recent encounters encouraging, this worries me. It's been so long since I've fought the vanilla versions of Balthazar and Mel that I can't really say how it will effect his prospects, but I know in my install it would be a major concern.  Someone with more recent VMel experience may be able to comment.

I've never done it, but there have been times when I've considered setting up Haer'Daelis as the Pocket Plane's resident alchemist. This would entail dragging him around for awhile untill he reaches 3 Mil of course, but he only needs 500K more at the time you summon him..

It may be an unappealing option, but if others with recent VMel experience claim that Oils of Speed are mission critical, you may want to consider it.   

EDIT: How is he doing on save modification potions (Magic Shielding, Invulnerability, Stone Form)?

Good Hunting!

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 24 April 2013 - 08:37 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Has sister Garlena got any decent potions?

Like Alesia I reckon you could be onto a winner barring mistakes. Draconis and Abazigal are about as tough as it gets and the approach against them is encouraging. Most people will have hit these enemies while being inexperienced at BG2 and I would think you're almost alone at having many years under your belt before encountering them so whatever they throw isn't fazing you.

I think you said you'd forgotten the golden pantaloons, by not sub-contracting you've done yourself out of the bronze pantalettes too.

Oil of speed isn't critical against Mel if the FoA is in play. Might take a little time and the lack of breach means her buffs will have to be repeatedly removed with attacks for example.

Keep an eye out for Sendai using Harm, in the enclosed area this can easily be a game ender.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Oil of speed isn't critical against Mel if the FoA is in play.

He won't be able to hit Mel with the FoA though because the poison head is locked away in Watcher's.

Will he still be ok without Oils of Speed?

(Again, it has been over a decade since I've faced VMel- I recall little of the details there.)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
(On top of that, Mirroring + Dwarven Saves + 200HP + HLA Hardinesses makes a character tough to kill...)

Agreed, but I'm unsure about how easy it will be to use mirroring without them being immediately dispelled in any situation where victory is not already simple enough.

With only three potions of speed left in his backpack he could also do with more of those, though I'm not sure if there's anywhere accessible that sells them now. 

While I have, as mentioned, found Nil's tactics in recent encounters encouraging, this worries me. It's been so long since I've fought the vanilla versions of Balthazar and Mel that I can't really say how it will effect his prospects, but I know in my install it would be a major concern.  Someone with more recent VMel experience may be able to comment.

Trawling round I've improved things a bit.  The merchant in the North Forest Corey mentioned provided 3 (I did also buy the RoR, although I really don't expect to be tempted into using that).  I also got 2 more from Lazurus, along with a couple of scrolls that allow a long-lasting improved haste from improved cloak of protection.

EDIT: How is he doing on save modification potions (Magic Shielding, Invulnerability, Stone Form)?

No problems there I don't think - he's got a number of those, having used a grand total of one invulnerability in ToB so far.

Edited by Grond0, 24 April 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Agreed, but I'm unsure about how easy it will be to use mirroring without them being immediately dispelled in any situation where victory is not already simple enough.

I'm not sure how to interpret this line. Just to be clear, by "Mirroring" I meant the Cloak of Mirroring.

Did you mean that you're not sure how to proceed without the Cloak of Mirroring since the buffs you'd use in lieu of it could be dispelled?

If so, that's a reasonable concern. 

I run without Mirroring in my install. It requires more micro-management, but it is workable.

Anyhoo. I had no intention of discouraging Nil from using the cloak. Going Mirror-less is something to try in another run, perhaps: For now, just get the job done.

:)

Trawling round I've improved things a bit.  The merchant in the North Forest Corey mentioned provided 3 (I did also buy the RoR, although I really don't expect to be tempted into using that).  I also got 2 more from Lazurus, along with a couple of scrolls that allow a long-lasting improved haste from improved cloak of protection.

That sounds better.

Best,

A. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 24 April 2013 - 09:18 PM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Grond0, nice work on giving Draconis and Abazigal the beatdown! Here's to your continued success!

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 24 April 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

Despite the fact that Cernd did almost all the work, Alisa has been dubbed the Hero of Tradement. She and her shiny reputation are now headed to the Umar Hills. I'll post again when the Shade Lord falls.

Current Character Record and Inventory
Posted Image
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 28 April 2013 - 03:28 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...

Grond0, nice work on giving Draconis and Abazigal the beatdown! Here's to your continued success!

Agreed: Go Nil!

(I'd really like to see him make it.)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Blind_Visionary wrote...

Agreed: Go Nil!

(I'd really like to see him make it.)

At this point, I'd be happy if ANYONE succeeded. Been far too long since Melissan had a lesson. Also, solo of Vanilla Melissan is an incredible success, I think. 7 major battles in a row with no resting allowed is a huge restriction. Seemingly unlimited summons from Melissan is tough too.

Having said all that, it would be nice if Grond0 succeeded, as a sort of reward for his tenacity.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Karix, male dwarf kensai.
Cohrvale and Bregg try to collect the 15000gp promised to Gaelan Bayle. They don’t need money where they're going though. Gaelan Bayle hands over a key in return for coin, and Aran Linvail fobs Karix off with a cheap amulet and then makes up for it with a ring of protection +2.

In the graveyard tunnels Pai’Na turns hostile but Karix has DUHM-II-IHaste and kills both her and the many spiders with little trouble. On the way out Karix unearths Tirdir and promises revenge - these kidnappers sound like they are all mouth and no trousers.

Orog slavers attempt an ambush but Karix has an ioun stone to protect against critical hits and engages in a huge slugfest. He has to run from the last four attackers and summons Kitthix asa distraction while he finishes them off.

The Ilbratha short sword is grabbed from Umar Hills and three djinn removed from Trademeet to allow a cloak of displacement and belt of inertial barrier to be purchased. Karix only has 330gp so has to forgo the dwarven thrower for the time being.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Edit: Go Karix! Go Nil!

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 25 April 2013 - 03:41 AM.