Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

The Potty 1

The Potty 1
  • Members
  • 476 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

most logical thing to do was to turn them into squirrels and make them fight each other in a grease pit. That much was obvious.

... jesters ... the reason Kings invented hot spikes.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Grond0 wrote...
With nearly all his GWWs gone and both main improved hastes Nil has not come out of that stage as well as I would have liked!  With hindsight he would have been far better off just ignoring everything else and pressing the attack on Mel right at the start.  Maybe next timePosted Image.

Aye, ignoring summons and pressing attack on Mel simplifies things a bit (as all her summons will vanish when you force Mel to retreat). But my cleric/illusionist fell just because of that (on the second stage of Throne fight he tried that approach and was overwhelmed by Mel's Slayer Shadows...). You said Nil is out of GWW and improved hastes? So what? That's not the end of the world but just one of many possible approaches to the fight. 

It's not apparent from your post if Nil is still alive (just run of of gww/haste). I hope so, and if that is true - just don't give up! Nil is so close!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 26 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Nil Desperandum - dwarf berserker (final update)

Regrettably Nil will not be able to enjoy a future as a god (or, indeed, as a human).

After making Mel's initial incarnation run he fully regenerated and then went in search of his next opponents led by an air elemental prince.  The vampiric wraiths also there were isolated from the air elementals and killed with daystar / iMoD before run and shoot tactics with Gesen dissolved the elementals.

There was another time stop almost immediately by Mel2, but Nil had already moved well away and didn't take much damage from Mel during it.  With limited offensive options I decided to be patient this time and assess whether there would be an end to summons.  That could have been done using the sort of run and snipe tactics referred to previously, but since I'd already broken my no-healing policy I did take a few healing potions at this stage.  My conclusion was that Mel did have infinite summons, so Nil would have to try and find a way to work round them.  

One strategy tried for quite a while was to kill the summons with physical attacks and leave those without.  However, it seemed to be set that killing all of those with physical attacks would automatically immediately generate another set with physical attacks and Mel would generate more every now and then anyway, so there seemed no chance of getting her alone.  Trying this out probably took at least a couple of hours and I got a bit careless at one point when Mel suddenly started attacking in earnest - her attacks doing around 30 damage a time and with high APR it took less than a round for Nil to go from barely scratched to a within a whisker of death before making his second use of the rod of resurrection.  A bit later he got trapped next to Mel and had to use two more RoR charges before he could kill a Nishruu to get out.

I had managed to attack Mel in passing every now and then, inflicting a few scratches in the brief periods before her stoneskins got reapplied.  The most successful of those was when Kitthix sacrificed herself as a distraction to reduce the mob enough to allow Nil to get several hits in - taking Mel to injured status.  I was just using Gesen to take a few skins off, while thinking where best to try a similar approach with the berserk warrior when this happened.
Posted Image

Nil had been hit with numerous earthquakes before, so at first I thought perhaps his saving throws had been nerfed again, but that didn't seem to have been the case.  However, his saving throw vs breath was only 0, so I suspect that the earthquake might have something like a save vs breath at -2 against unconsciousness.  If so then clearly I should have been wearing something that improved that saving throw!

Edit: incidentally I tried reloading to see what impact attacking her would have.  Mel's first 3 incarnations all fell pretty quickly, but Nil got killed at that point - I presume by a vorpal from the fallen solar (is that no save?).  However, that should give me a better idea of what to do next time.

Edited by Grond0, 26 April 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Well, that was incredible run, Grond0, no matter how it ended! And I could definitely congratulate you with that. Speaking of Mel... well, she'll get what she deserve someday of that I'm sure. And who knows, may be that will be some Nil's disciple who will do the job right.:happy:

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grond0: Perhaps someone can explain better, but I believe the vorpal hit from the fallen planetar, it doesn't offer a save, but I think the planetar gets to roll to see if it is a vorpal hit, and if it is, you're dead unless you have death immunity (death ward or something similar). Hence GWW with +3 ranged ammo would be the thing to do to kill it quick.

In any case, great run Grond0 - you should be proud of your achievement.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Congratulations on an outstanding run Grond0: Nil was truly special.

And while it's a shame he didn't make it in the end, I'm confident that one of his successors will.

Cheers to Nil!

A.

Btw. As you probably know, I can't really offer any advice at all on fighting VMel- nor am I in a position to comment on the mechanics there. I'm sure someone else with experience soloing VMel will be able to provide more insight.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 26 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Nil Desperandum - dwarf berserker (final update)

Regrettably Nil will not be able to enjoy a future as a god (or, indeed, as a human).

Well, unless Nil has some trick you haven't told us about, I don't think Nil ever was going to enjoy a future as a human - he was a dwarf, was he not?

Edited by corey_russell, 26 April 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: The Unseeing Eye

As Alisa was making her way to Mae'Var's Guidlhall, it occured to me that the Unseeing Eye quest might be a better choice. Beholders are dangerous of course, but with Skeleton Warrior, Fleshie, and Mustard Jelly form, Alisa seemed eminently well suited to face them. And with Azuredge for the undead- not to mention a Tensor's Scroll awaiting her in the lower reaches- the Unseeing Eye quest seemed like just what the Jester ordered. 

Alisa first tried her hand at Beholder fighting against the trio in the sewers. She proved to be a natural.

Skeleton Warrior x 3 ->Fleshie->Haste->Polymorph Self: Mustard Jelly
Posted Image

The Gauths found Alisa's song confusing. And I can't say I blame them: How exactly does a Mustard Jelly sing?
Posted Image

The Tenser's scroll was Alisa's next target. There weren't any substantive battles here, but I thought I'd share this shot since it does a nice job of illustrating why Alisa's future may be in ranged fighting: the ability to Slow without using a spell equivalent action is helpful when you are trying to create space.
Posted Image

The next Beholder crew met the same fate as the first- though they did manage to take down one of Alisa's Skeleton Warriors.
Posted Image

The march to the Temple- protected by Mustard Jelly Magic Resistance.
Posted Image

Finally The Eye: Rift Device-> Mr. Efreeti Fireball once again.
Posted Image

Fin!

A.

Current Character Record and Inventory
Posted Image

Btw. Note that Jazzy has returned. I removed Alisa's 6hp from her BG1 familiar when Jazzy was reincarnated.
Posted Image

Edited by Alesia_BH, 26 April 2013 - 08:23 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Looking good, Alesia! Hope you can keep it up, maybe avenge Nil...

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Gutted to see that Grond0, and apologies about the misleading timestop information (in Ascension it is every couple of rounds. I don't think she got the chance in our most recent multiplayer and I'm not sure I ever reached her without a party in the standard game).

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Karix, male dwarf kensai.
Double deja-vu (load the wrong save game and instantly area transition over-writing the auto-save I needed). Karix arrives at Brynnlaw again, kills Perth again, get infinite burning hands again, reaches Spellhold again, gets captured again, is released into the maze again, kill the umber hulks again, yuan-ti mage this time, Dace, Lich again (so destroyed twice, once for Kaxir the multiplayer and a second time for Karix). Pulpit / altar activated again and back to where he was much earlier.

The kobold crystal is sharded, a statue game and a portal are dealt with but not the riddling face statues. Some more yuan-ti and through the mouth of the creator into the next area. A few trolls and minotaurs are followed by an ulitharid, spirit troll, noble djinn, umber hulk, stone golem and 3 clay golems. The chest here has a toughened lock and without DUHM it looks as though Karix is stymied until he uses his one strength (fire giant) potion. With 15 tokens he orders some boots of speed (to improve the blending rate).

5 more tokens are acquired and boots of the north are also bagged in case Cryonix ever makes an appearance. The next area consists of a series of tests that are completed as quickly as possible. Lonk the sane manages to stoneskin so Karix switches to the Flail of Ages to finish him with elemental damage before trying to incite a prison riot against Irenicus (RP: Wanev and Tiax show no interest until Karix posts details on Facebook!)

Irenicus clones Karix as the efreeti is summoned and a moment later the clone is cycloned and de-cloned. Wanev starts a timestop and once that ends Irenicus casts a wilting. Karix has moved out of the area effect though and summons Kitthix as he hurls the dwarven thrower. Irenicus is mopping up the remaining prisoners so Karix nips in to Roseblade for a round or so, moving back as Irenicus approaches death and sending another hammer in to disrupt a final spell. Irenicus has had enough and departs.

Karix uses an amulet shield as a horde of murderers arrive, and only one of seven backstabs connect. Saemon Havarian provides a quick way out but Karix doubles back and faces a group of shadows. He’s equipped the mace and Arbane but still finds time to try a daystar sunray.  A stone golem can’t stop a staff and two rogue stones being taken back to Brynnlaw.

It is becoming difficult for Karix to juggle his many weapons (oh for 15-20 quickslots).Posted Image

***** long sword
** two weapon style
* quarterstaff, mace, flail

Karix, kenasi 19. 902 kills, Kangaxx the demi-lich.

& here’s something I forgot earlier, not often I see Lehtinan make that statement.Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 26 April 2013 - 06:02 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Gutted to see that Grond0.

(I know. I was trying to keep things upbeat when I commented initially, but I was pretty bummed too. :()

Gate70 wrote...
& here’s something I forgot earlier, not often I see Lehtinan make that statement.

Huh. I've actually never seen that dialogue from Lehtinan. Interesting.

Continued best wishes to Karix!

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 26 April 2013 - 07:25 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: Mae'Var's Guildhall

Following the Unseeing Eye quest, Alisa was eager for an opportunity to put her new spell, Tensor's Transformation to use. Happily, Mae'Var was kind enough to furnish the opportunity. 

The quest began with a little larceny: successful in Alisa's case at the Temple of Talos- not so much for the muggers who ambushed her on the way home.

An interesting thing happened here when Alisa, who had used her Ogre form to force open that chest at the Temple of Talos, opted to fight the muggers without shifting back. I've never really fought with the Ogre form and was pleasantly surprised by the damage.

"I will crush!"
Posted Image

Yet another ambush occured as Alisa left the Guild Hall. And this time it was more threatening: Vampires. Not really prepared -and having still not paid the Cowleds- Lilacor->RoAC II->mossy on home seemed the wisest call.
Posted Image

Rayic's abode was next. MGOI for the Mephits.
Posted Image

Buffed Flind for the Golems.
Posted Image

Rayic required a little more effort on Alisa's part unsurprisingly.

Alisa opened with a Death Fog and half expected to make excellent progress with that single spell.
Posted Image

Rayic proved too cagey for that, however- moving out of the AoE and then countering the damage with a Potion of Extra Healing.
Posted Image

After having slipped to the other side of the Death Fog hoping to draw Rayic in, Alisa returned to find but a Mordy Sword: Rayic himself had gone missing. 
Posted Image

Turned out he had gone downstairs. Not sure what he was thinking there, but Alisa was pleased to follow: Rayic's Mordy was on the 3rd floor after all.
Posted Image

Eventually, Rayic met the same fate at the Yuan Ti Mage: ended by Acid Arrows and Fleshie.
Posted Image

Onto the final stage of the quest: Eliminating Mae'Var. Alisa did this in two phases- mostly due to a bottleneck at 5. She had wanted Sunfires available for the first floor in the interest of scoring potions, but she had also wanted Spell Immunities against Mae'Var. One crowds out the other though, of course which is why she ultimately chose to rest in between.

Pleasant surprise number two when Alisa noted that the Sleep effect on her Jester's Song had kicked in one level earlier than expected.
Posted Image

But ultimately, the Jester's Song mattered little: Sunfires did most of the work, aided by some Tensored melee. 
Posted Image
(Alisa's combat stats are respectable when Tensored now, more on that later.)
Posted Image

Alisa's battle with Mae'Var was a touch longer than it should have been due to a slight buffing error: I had Tensor locked her before casting DUHM. Nonetheless, with Pro Normal Weapons, an AC in the negative teens, and 6APR with a negative THAC0, she worked through the opposition with ease.
Posted Image

Fleshie, once again, got the final hit in- he seems to have a knack for that...
Posted Image

Alisa is now headed to the Windspear Hills. I'll post again when she completes the quest.

Best,

A.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alesia_BH, 27 April 2013 - 03:58 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Looking good, Alesia! Hope you can keep it up, maybe avenge Nil...

Thanks. Hopefully Quash and Berud will give her a taste of justice first- followed promptly by Karix and then perhaps Alisa.

(I'd love to see Serg's Avatars make it too. How are they doing Serg?)

Edited by Alesia_BH, 26 April 2013 - 08:11 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Gate70 wrote...
Gutted to see that Grond0.

(I know. I was trying to keep things upbeat when I commented initially, but I was pretty bummed too. :()

It's not so bad.  Given that I'd never been past Irenicus before in single player and didn't use any references (other than checking the effects of the Tears) I was a bit surprised Nil got as far as he did!

For quite a while I've been half-avoiding playing ToB in order to experience the game in its 'natural' state as part of a no-reload.  With that done I'll be much more willing to prepare in advance in future - for instance by trying to ensure the PC has a full collection of assets.  With the right weapons to hand I suspect that Mel would have been relatively easy for Nil, even using less than ideal tactics.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

I'd love to see Serg's Avatars make it too. How are they doing Serg?

Thanks, Alesia :) We are fine. I just had some RL distraction lately along with a short travel (without access to the game) so could afford quite a tiny progress - only managed to finish slavers for Hendak. But I hope that will change from now on and I'll be able to post more about Avatars soon.

Your Jester is inspiring! Keep rocking (or whatever music style your Alisa prefer)! :happy:

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 26 April 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 18 - (final update)
Quash, dwarf barbarian (Grond0) & Berud, dwarf barbarian (Gate70)

Having said that Nil's defeat was not such a disappointment I wish I could say the same about the fall of the barbarians.  Unfortunately gutted is probably accurate there.

The session had gone well with the main area of the Underdark cleared, the Balor sealed in stone and the giant soul gem emptied. 

The kuo-toa had been defeated, although the prince proved to be a slippery customer - running away whenever his regeneration rate looked to be in trouble - and forcing the duo to rest to get GWWs to finish him off.  The demon knights were safely handled, providing Berud with a nice 2-handed sword.

Berud used the sword together with a GWW to force entry to the beholder lair past the elder orb.  Quash then relied on the Cloak of Mirroring to loot the rest of the area.

With just the illithids to go before moving on to the drow city things were looking good.  The initial stages all went to plan, but then Quash decided to take control of the last of a group of illithids.  I clicked to move it and thought it had responded, though it was behind the Cloak of Mirroring animation, which made it difficult to see what was happening.  However, thinking it was safely out of the way Quash turned his attention to finishing off the umber hulks, without keeping the normal close eye on intelligence scores.  Unfortunately the illithid must have been extremely lucky with its hits as Quash went from no drain to death (4 hits) in the time required for him and Berud to kill 2 umber hulks.  Up to that point in the run their enemies had failed to kill either Berud or Quash - but who needs enemies with friends like thatPosted Image.

Posted Image

Edited by Grond0, 26 April 2013 - 10:54 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Sorry to hear that Grond0. The mind-flayers get 4 attacks per round with their INT draining attacks, and if multiple guys are attacking you..well that's not good.

I once had my main survive 6 mind flayers whacking on him at once (most of the party was dead is why that even happened), but he managed to survive with -14 AC, the flayers could only hit on criticals. Barbarians only able to use splint might be a problem with that.

By the way, that reminds me, can Barbarians use anhkeg armor? Cromwell will forge it if you bring him a shell from Windspear hills, that might have been an option...I'm wondering if they can since druids can use Ankheg armor...

Edited by corey_russell, 26 April 2013 - 11:03 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Having said that Nil's defeat was not such a disappointment I wish I could say the same about the fall of the barbarians.  Unfortunately gutted is probably accurate there.

That is a shame: It definitely sounds like one that could have been avoided. =]

(And I assume you know what that means for us Gate. It's incumbent upon us to keep our characters alive: someone has to avenge Nil sooner rather than later.)

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 27 April 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
We are fine. I just had some RL distraction lately along with a short travel (without access to the game) so could afford quite a tiny progress - only managed to finish slavers for Hendak. But I hope that will change from now on and I'll be able to post more about Avatars soon.

Glad to hear it.

Your Jester is inspiring! Keep rocking (or whatever music style your Alisa prefer)! :happy:

That's kind of you to say.

Note that setting aside the song, anything Alisa the Jester can do Serg the Blade can do better. He should feel free to use and improve upon Alisa's tactics. 

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 27 April 2013 - 12:16 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

I've encountered a bit of a glitch. Alisa has just killed Conster and opened the lock to Taar's cage. Unfortunately, Taar isn't catching on.
Posted Image

Does anyone know the CLUA code to fix this? If so, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: I believe the variables should be set as follows:

Global("GarKidReleased","GLOBAL",1)
Global("Kidnap","GLOBAL",3)

Can someone confirm?

EDIT II: No worries. The problem resolved itself. When I reloaded Alisa's save, Taar initiated dialogue and responded appropriately.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 27 April 2013 - 02:51 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: Windspear Hills

Alisa has just completed the Winspear Hills Quest. And while there weren't any particularly exciting battles, she appreciated the opportunity to put her recently upgraded Jester's Song into action.

The Paladins

Although it takes quite a lot of buffs to get her working, Alisa is now respectable in melee. Full buffed, she enjoys a base AC of -15, 200HP, an APR of 6, and a Strength of 25 with substantially negative THAC0 numbers. Arcane defensive buffs fill out the picture.
Posted Image

Ruhk Transmuter

While the Kamikaze Kobolds should get some of the credit...
Posted Image

it was the Jester's Song that allowed Alisa to take Ruhk down in safety. Ruhk would pursue Alisa agressively, but then he'd suddenly find himself feeling woozy.
Posted Image

And while he could get up again shortly...
Posted Image

he'd find himself back on the ground again before long.
Posted Image

He never got an attack roll in.
Posted Image

The Golems

With her GoI in place to protect her from Golem Slow, Alisa was free to take down the Golems at her leisure. 

Staff of Striking for the Juggernaut.
Posted Image

Kachicko's + Belm for the Stones.
Posted Image

The Undead
I used the tank: Happy Corey? :P
Posted Image

The Greater Wolfweres

Alisa had more than enough oomph to put the Greater Wolfweres down- their regen rate wasn't even a vague concern.
Posted Image

Tazok

Tazok and his pals were taken down running the buffs left over from the Greater Wolfweres. DuHM has expired by that point, but that didn't hinder Alisa much.
Posted Image

Conster

That was followed by yet another anti-climatic fight with Conster. He essentially had zero chance against Alisa thanks to the Jester's Song. Here's how it worked.

She approached invisible running Si:D and Improved Haste amongst other things. Then she sang and waited. With no way to reveal her, Conster was forced to stand around and listen to her beguiling song. Eventually he was lulled to Sleep.
Posted Image

And once he was asleep, Alisa broke invisibility with a Dart of Stunning assualt at 6APR. Had he somehow saved each time, Alisa could have cast Invisibility again, and re-wound the cycle ad nauseum. Fortunately that wasn't necessary: he failed his save against Dart of Stunning in the first round.
Posted Image

Simple-dimple.
Posted Image

Alisa's next target is the Planar Sphere- though she'll be making a brief stop before-hand. (You'll probably be able to guess where from looking at her inventory).

Best,

A.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alesia_BH, 27 April 2013 - 03:54 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

I just thought I'd tack on the Samia fight before going to sleep.

Alisa initiated combat pre-buffed with Contingency: See Enemy- Greater Malison set. She immediately cast Invisibility as her enemies' pre-buffs fired and then began singing.
Posted Image

Akae was somehow immune to Sleep but not Confusion. This caused him to wander off, giving Alisa a chance to take him down in isolation.
Posted Image

Samia herself was Alisa'a next target. She nonetheless kept an eye on Legdoril and cast ProMW before he reached melee range- no reason to give him a window to use Harm.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now under ProMW, Alisa quickly moved Legdoril to the top of the hitlist.
Posted Image

With Kaol too close for comfort, Alisa cast Shadow Door.
Posted Image

And then finished of Kaol's support with renewed protection from targetted spells.
Posted Image

All that remained was the mage: Arrow of Dispelling->Dart of Wounding.
Posted Image

Melee finish once his casting was shutdown.
Posted Image

Fin!

Best,

A. 

Edited by Alesia_BH, 27 April 2013 - 05:55 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Alisa's next target is the Planar Sphere- though she'll be making a brief stop before-hand. (You'll probably be able to guess where from looking at her inventory).

Looking for a rather large key?

Sounds like Alisa's coming on nicely - let's hope that Mel sees the joke.

corey_russell wrote...
By the way, that reminds me, can Barbarians use anhkeg armor? Cromwell will forge it if you bring him a shell from Windspear hills, that might have been an option...I'm wondering if they can since druids can use Ankheg armor...

It depends on the install - in ours they can't.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Karix, male dwarf kensai
Invisibility, boots of speed, improved haste and something called a spacebar mean Karix is in and out with a pirate horn before anybody spots him. After killing Desharik (he was asking for it) and the pirates Karix departs with Saemon, then kills several gith who board the ship before it is scuttled. Karix ends up in an underground cavern city and is recruited by a sahuagin king to put down a rebellion.

A gaping statue (Sekolah) is viewed from the inside and then Karix grabs a cloak of mirroring (animation effects just removed so much nicer than before). Karix retrieves a tooth of Sekolah with great trepidation but successfully avoids all the traps and uses a potion to convince the spectator beholder to stop guarding the tooth.

The kensai abilities are starting to shine; sahuagin after sahuagin are cut into 2 halves (or chunked) with few requiring more than one hit. 11 hits are required to kill 2 greater lacedons, 2 lacedons, 2 zombies and a zombie sea lord before they can hit back (only remembered to offhand the mace after 3 enemies were down). Karix decides to fool the sahuagin king as it isn’t every day you get to do a bit of regicide, then he kills the prince for the Wave halberd blade; the price of this is to not see any gauntlets but they are no use to a kensai.

Karix has just obtained his first HLA; hardiness.