• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
Looking for a rather large key?

That too. But first she needs room for said key in her inventory: hence the trip to Watcher's to collect the ammo belt.

Sounds like Alisa's coming on nicely - let's hope that Mel sees the joke.

I hope so too.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

Alisa has completed the Planar Sphere quest and is now nearly ready to leave for Spellhold. I'll post on the quest tomorrow morning. For now, here is her current character record and inventory.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Best,

A.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Wow, I turn my head and this place blows up.

Grond0, I feel honored to have witnessed (so to speak) Nil's run. It was particularly special because it was the first time you had entered TOB on your own. Congratulations; I consider your attempt a grand success. Much respect. (And as a side note, I'm equally blown away that you can finish BG1 in less time than it takes you to fight one or two of Mel's incarnations.)

And also to Gate: sorry to see the Barbarian Duo succumb to the dumb mind flayers. Alas.

and in conclusion:
Go Alisa! Go Karix! Go Serg Avatars!

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 28 April 2013 - 03:51 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Karix, male dwarf kensai - Final Update
n.b. screenshots below show a different animation for the cloak of mirroring thanks to a Near Infinity edit by ussnorway.

The underdark is missing an illithid and a group of drow, then a faceted machine starts dispensing trapped occupants. The first to arrive is a madman, meleed as Kitthix is pushed aside. The next arrival casts protective buffs so Karix retreats and summons an efreeti then Ras. The efreeti is imprisoned as Kitthix is subjected to spells. Ras absorbs a few more as Karix hurls the dwarven thrower before using Improved Haste to finish the job. Karix rests invisibly to recall Kitthix again.

A gith is meleed and a swirf child released before a lich turns up. Another step back to use the hammer while bringing the efreeti and Ras forward, then an improved haste sees the lich destroyed from a glancing mace blow. Gont is the final arrival and is relieved when Karix says there is no reason to fight.

Another rest is taken before killing some kuo-toa guarding a bridge, and another before entering a tunnel to the south. By this time Karix has a whirlwind attack and an elder orb gets 10 throwers before Karix uses Improved haste to melee it. He almost has it dead before a fireball erupts and finishes the job. A spell-saving amulet and another rest or two are required to deal with drow, beholders, gauth and three illithid. A second elder orb is treated to a long distance relationship with the dwarven thrower and Karix has cleared the lair.

More encounters are punctuated by the Invisibility > Rest > II > Mirror > IH sequence. Spore colonies, stoneshaping a balor and a kuo-toa party. A shield charge is added when Kitthix is sacrificed (auto-pause enabled briefly too) for a mace and Arbane equipped battle. All goes swimmingly.
Posted Image

Until the last power word stun,which ignores Arbane (I expected that) and the cloak (I didn’t expect that) to latch onto the injured Karix (I’d forgotten that). About a round later the various pieces of Karix stops breathing.
Posted Image

(Easily avoidable if I’d remembered the importance of hit points, and if I’d noticed the damage. Another one where enjoying the game instead of paying attention sees me caught out).

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
The Story of BlackStrider & The Motley Crue (Update #11 - early SoA ): 

Well, I think, it's long past time to cover the early SoA Avatars adventures. As you already may know, we escaped the initial dungeon so here is some *picture cover* of that:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The early Promenade activities were Circus (Alesia's Detect Illusions at 75 were just enough to dispel *werewolfs* and Cassia's +1 claws allowed her to rip Shadows easily) and Mencar's squad:

Onto the Slums to free Hendak (Cassia nearly soloed that part) and then to eliminate the slavers once and for all:

Posted Image Posted Image 

Cohrvale and Bregg are stupid enough to engage us as it seems so some electrocution must be taken to easy their minds:

En route to City Gates we were ambushed by  red-hot Suna Seni crew but Pot quickly convinced them that their course is hopeless, Alesia revealed the hidden thiefs (100 Detect Illusions at the moment) and they were eliminated in due course:

(A side note: while Alesia's Detect Illusions (100) revealed the hidden thiefs it doesn't dispelled mage's Mirror Images. Does anybody know if it should be that way? I though it is just like True Sight, am I wrong here?)

Trademeet was our goal but we met a group of thugs killing a guy en route:

Renfeld was saved and delivered to the Harpers Compound in the Docks. Without Jaheira in the group there wasn't real need to do Xzar's quest right now so we skipped it for a moment and headed to the Trademeet again. We traveled invisible so Orog's ambush was just walk in the park - Cassia summoned a pair of Fire Elementals (immune to Orog's weapons) and shredded them to pieces.

We finally arrived to Trademeet, talked with Mayor and now en route to Druid's Grove.

Current state:

BlackStrider: Blade(11), 13 kills (Troll);
Alesia The Curious: Mage(9)/Thief(10), 9 kills (Minotaur);
Grond The Pathfinder: Archer(9), 45 kills (Mencar Pebblecrusher);
Cassia The Furious: Shapeshifter(12), 65 kills (Cohrvale);
Krimlor: Fighter(8)/Cleric(8), 26 kills (Ulvaryl);
Pot The Selfless: Mage(10), 20 kills (Sorcerous Amon)

to be continued...

Edit:

Gate70 wrote:
(Easily avoidable if I’d remembered the importance of hit points, and if I’d noticed the damage. Another one where enjoying the game instead of paying attention sees me caught out).

I'm really sorry to hear that... :( 
But I think that your (and ours to follow you) enjoyment of the game is all that matters or else it will quickly became a routine. It's not the work that must be done no matter of what. So best of luck with your next run and... have fun!:happy:

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 28 April 2013 - 08:36 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Better luck next time Gate - another reason to seek revenge on those Demon Knights.

The Cloak blocks damage and shorty saving throws are proof against most other things. You obviously had the imprisonment / maze touch spells covered with the hammer, so the Power Words looked like the only remaining ****** in your defenses.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
The Story of BlackStrider & The Motley Crue (Update #12 - Trademeet ):

The Avatars are now the Heroes of Trademeet!
In the Druid Grove we fought various spiders, trolls (along with some unkillable ones) and druids. We foolishly spoke with Cernd before the final group and the only dialog option was to allow him to challenge Faldorn and immediate transfer inside the temple. The consequences of that are: no Flame Tongue +1, no Club +2: Gnasher, no Staff of Thunder and Lighting and no exp of course...:crying:

Back in the city BlackStrider stole the Efreeti Bottle and we attacked. At near death the genie fled inside the tent, Cassia followed and was immediately turned to stone... Pot went on the rescue and Emotioned all inside for their evil deed. Alesia revealed the unseen genies and we quickly eliminated them.

With all those tasks completed (and dealing with feuding families) we have our rep and gold high enough to purchase Tansheron's Bow for Grond, Dwarven Thrower for Krimlor, Cloak of Displacement, Belt of Inertial Barrier and Necklace of Missiles. 

Now we are ready for the De'Arnise Hold.

Current state:
BlackStrider: Blade(11), 23 kills (Spirit Troll);
Alesia The Curious: Mage(9)/Thief(10), 11 kills (Khan Zahraa);
Grond The Pathfinder: Archer(9), 48 kills (Mencar Pebblecrusher);
Cassia The Furious: Shapeshifter(12), 72 kills (Cohrvale);
Krimlor: Fighter(8)/Cleric(8), 29 kills (Ulvaryl);
Pot The Selfless: Mage(11), 26 kills (Sorcerous Amon)

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 28 April 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Condolences Gate70.

Gate70 wrote...
Easily avoidable if I’d remembered the importance of hit points, and if I’d noticed the damage.

Agreed. With a dwarf Kensai, keeping an eye on hitpoints would usually be sufficient since you'd rarely need to use your aura on another threat. As a Halfling, you'd have another angle in those situations as well though: Arvoreen.

Anyhoo. I've noted you have a Stalker on the way now: Best of luck with her!

Cheers,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...
(A side note: while Alesia's Detect Illusions (100) revealed the hidden thiefs it doesn't dispelled mage's Mirror Images. Does anybody know if it should be that way? I though it is just like True Sight, am I wrong here?)

It should- assuming the mage was also in the area of effect. The mage was further away wasn't she?

I'll also note that some enemy illusions are more "resilient" in my SCS install than they should be- notably PIs and Misleads. And while I haven't noticed an issue with Mirror Image, it wouldn't shock me if they were a touch funky as well in someone-else's setup.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 28 April 2013 - 07:23 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

It should- assuming the mage was also in the area of effect. The mage was further away wasn't she?

I'll also note that some enemy illusions are more "resilient" in my SCS install than they should be- notably PIs and Misleads. And while I haven't noticed an issue with Mirror Image, it wouldn't shock me if they were a touch funky as well in someone-else's setup.

Thanks for clarification, Alesia. Good to know that it should work. If I remember correct the area of effect of Detect Illusion is visible, non-obscured line of sight of a thief. I think I've tried to walk by invisible and detecting traps Alesia right near the unconscious mage - no success... Well, as it seems in my SCS install Mirror Image is even more *resilient* as PIs and Misleads in yours. Will try to test it further.

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 28 April 2013 - 08:10 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: The Planar Sphere

Alisa's time in the Planar Sphere was simultaneously safe and amusing. And while she has reached the stage of the adventure where a Blade would presumably be more capable, she continues to get good use of her Jester's Song.

The Feral Halflings

In the Feral Halfling battle, Alisa employed the same approach she used against Conster: entering combat invisible running SI:D and singing. Slight problem though: Invisible Kayardi remained safe from attack despite sleeping on the job.
Posted Image

Redirecting, Alisa waited for Mogadish to fall and then broke invisibility when he was down.
Posted Image

By the time Kayardi got around to summoning his demons, Entu and Togan were both fixed as well.
Posted Image

Resist Fear and MGOI kept Alisa safe from the Cornugon's special abilities.
Posted Image

Hit and run tactics with the Staff of Striking allowed Alisa to take them down safely, but additional ProMWs would have permited a more deliberate approach.
Posted Image

That led to an amusing phase where three consecutive Halfling Warriors charged Alisa only to fall asleep just as they reached her. They were all chunked before waking.
Posted Image

Naught but the mage remained then. True to form, Alisa took him down with ranged weapons and Fleshie.
Posted Image

Tabiela and Necre

Recalling how Kayardi had evaded early dispatch via invisibility, Alisa memorized True Sight this time.
Posted Image

She only began singing when her audience was in full attendance.
Posted Image

Unable to finish both the mages in 7 round segments, Alisa chose to take down Necre, leaving Tabiela as the only meaningful threat.
Posted Image

After finishing the fighters, Alisa summoned a Mislead for a little duet. Tabiela was captivated.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Elder Orb

The Elder Orb was the next of Alisa's fans to get weak in the knees (which is interesting seeing as how he didn't have knees and all...).
Posted Image

Btw. Note the change in main-hand weapon. Alisa had reached HLA land against the Golems. And upon selecting UAI, she became ready to wield the Scarlet Ninja-To- bringing her APR under Improved Haste up to 8.
Posted Image

Lavok

Lavok wasn't a fan of Alisa's music it seems.
Posted Image

Alisa was more than capable of handling her would-be-heckler though: Bounce him Fleshie!
Posted Image

The Tanar'ri

Against the Tanar'ri Alisa used her standard buffs supplemented by a Potion of Stone Form. With MGoI covering the Imps, ProMW the Tanar'ri attacks, and her saves the Death Gaze, she was free to take him down in safety.
Posted Image

Tolgerias

The Tolgerias fight ended up being a touch awkward. I had opened the fight using the really rather evil Mislead->Invisibility on the Mislead->Jester's Song x2 manuever. That became even more outrageous when Alisa disrupted Tolgerias's Divination cast leaving him with no hope of ever seeing his attacker- even if he could manage to stay on his feet.
Posted Image 
I ultimately chose to have the Mislead break invisibility just to give Tolgerias a fighting chance. That, predictably, led to another ranged based mage kill- in particular the Arrow of Dispelling->Dart of Wounding->Melee Finish variant.
Posted Image
Posted Image

(NW: I've always been inclined to restrict Mislead heavily. Going forward, I think I'll let Alisa use Mislead with the limitation that it must be left visible in the heart of the battlefield.)

The End

Not much left at that point of course. Just the Elemental areas..
Posted Image

...the Golems...
Posted Image

...and the ride home.
Posted Image

Alisa will probably have her next session this evening. I'm not sure whether she's headed to Bodhi's Lair or the Planar Prison. I'll let you know when I decide of course.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 28 April 2013 - 10:27 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Will try to test it further.

Please do: I'm curious. :)

Best, 

A.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Alisa will probably have her next session this evening. I'm not sure whether she's headed to Bodhi's Lair or the Planar Sphere.

Or the Planar Prison?

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
Btw. Note the change in main-hand weapon. Alisa had reached HLA land against the Golems. And upon selecting UAI, she became ready to wield the Scarlet Ninja-To- bringing her APR under Improved Haste up to 8.

How do you get the basic 4 APR Alesia?

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...

The Scarlet Ninja-To provides an APR bonus, like Belm.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...
Or the Planar Prison?

Yuppers.

(Thanks for catching that.)

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Quick Note on Alisa's Game:

Alisa has acquired a new item.
Posted Image

And made a new friend.
Posted Image

I'm semi-tempted to let Alisa and Haer'Dalis duo for a spell- seems like it could be fun. 

Anyhooo. I'll post on the Planar Prison quest relatively soon.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 29 April 2013 - 01:15 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alisa, Half-Elven Jester: The Planar Prison

As the attentive reader is aware, Alisa has belatedly secured her stronghold, becoming the proprietor of Athkatla's finest playhouse. One can only hope that her troupe's plays will be less soporific than her songs.

The Bounty Hunters

The Bounty Hunter battle was pretty straight-forward for Alisa though the Yuan-Ti Mage's Fire Shield: Blue did impede her progress.

Alisa's combat stats are by now formidable when fully buffed: She makes short work of SoA foes not running arcane combat protections.
Posted Image

Case in point: the Bounty Hunter Mage took far longer than all of his companions combined- due at first to his ProMW, and later his Fire Shield: Blue.
Posted Image

Healing potions sufficed in this case, but Alisa is likely to start layering in Pro Cold and Pro Fire in future battles. GoI via Magic Flute is an option as well.
Posted Image

The Thralls

Continuing on, Alisa chose the easy route againt the Thrall Mage- putting her to Sleep before breaking Invisibility, and then chunking her before she could awake. The warriors fell quickly afterwards of course.
Posted Image

The Yuan-Ti Mages

Next up was the quadruple mage battle. I have a healthy respect for this fight: I've seen a number of powerful characters run into trouble here and you don't need to dig deep into this thread to find others who have lost runs to this corner of the SCS Planar Prison. Alisa handled it admirably though.

An opportunity to take down one of the mages quick was lost when I became greedy and waited for two to fall asleep before letting Alisa and her Simulacrum (first appearance) break Invisibility. Ultimately she was forced to break with none down since I became concerned with wasting buff time.
Posted Image

Alisa's first move was to rip through the melee fighters- including the Yuan Ti Mage's summoned demon and the Warden's Pet.
Posted Image

Alisa and her Simmy resumed singing at that point and then picked off the weak link.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The remaining three mages were felled at range...
Posted Image

...though the bow had to be shelved in favor of The Reflex when the Flame Arrows came.
Posted Image

Last mage.
Posted Image

The Master of Thralls

Straight forward melee beatdown here- with Avoid Death being sufficient to cover Alisa's Save v. Death buff needs for the duration of the battle.
Posted Image

FYI: Alisa's current buffed combat stats.
Posted Image

The Warden

After some dithering, I chose to have Alisa finish the Warden on the same set of buffs used against the Master of Thralls. This wasn't the safest move -and ultimately meant Alisa had to fight most of the battle unbuffed- but it wasn't a problem ultimately.

An opening PW:B from the Warden reminded Alisa that it is time to pay Jan Jansen a visit: she could use some Spectroscopes.
Posted Image

That PW:B wasn't necessarily a positive for the Warden though since it induced Alisa to withdraw invisible and thus had the effect of separating him from his allies.
Posted Image

Once the PW:B wore off, the Arrows started flying. First Dispelling...
Posted Image

and then Bitting.
Posted Image

Not quite ready to call it quits, the Warden pulled a Sunfire Mantle Trigger. But while the move did manage to bring Alisa into the PW:S danger zone, she had Arvoreen at the ready- as well as a plethora of healing potions.
Posted Image

All Alisa had to do at that point was wait for Mantle to expire, and then: Pop- no more Warden.
Posted Image

Bodhi's lair is next.

Best,

A.

Current Character Record and Inventory
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alesia_BH, 29 April 2013 - 05:41 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
One can only hope that her troupe's plays will be less soporific than her songs.

:happy:  One can only hope.

I can't help but think, seeing the picture of our dear friend Haer'Dalis, that Alisa may have had some training in molecular biology, and that the stage at the playhouse might someday be swarmed with Haer'Dalis clones. Alisa might fill all the empty seats in the playhouse with Haer'Dalis too. Woe be to any cows nearby.

Edit: After Alesia's post below, I added the link.:wizard:

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 29 April 2013 - 03:19 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 :P

(I get the joke. But our readers who don't recall Alo probably think you've gone completely nuts. Molecular biology? Cows?)

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
I get the joke.

:innocent: I fully expect you to take advantage of any and all exploits to ensure the success of your playhouse ;) Who wouldn't pay to see 100 Haer'Dalis clones singing in harmony? With Alisa in the lead role....  You could make a fortune.

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 29 April 2013 - 04:14 AM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Grond0 wrote...

The Scarlet Ninja-To provides an APR bonus, like Belm.

Sure, but with normal dual-wielding that would only get to 3 APR.  I wondered if you were actually dual-wielding Belm or Kundane as well - I don't think I've ever tried putting 2 APR enhancing weapons together, so was looking for confirmation of whether that would work.

OK - after reading your latest post I can see the answerPosted Image.

Edited by Grond0, 29 April 2013 - 05:18 AM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Blind_Visionary wrote...
 Who wouldn't pay to see 100 Haer'Dalis clones singing in harmony?

:P

With Alisa in the lead role....  You could make a fortune.

Sure. Untill the confused elven patrons started wailing on the sleeping human ones- at which point the Amnish Guard would likely show up...

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Grond0 wrote...
OK - after reading your latest post I can see the answerPosted Image.

Sorry. I could have made that clearer I guess. =]

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 Btw. Alisa is looking pretty stylish now after shopping at Uncle Jan's Discount Barn- love the way the Adventurewear looks on her.
Posted Image