Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 22 - (update 4)
Rose, human stalker (Grond0) & Grub, halfling assassin (Gate70)

After the rigours of the last couple of sessions Rose & Grub had a generally more comfortable time last night. 

The session started with a fair amount of fetching and carrying.  After killing some kidnappers they fetched a ransom, then went on to do the Sir Sarles quest.  Neb's invisibility potion didn't do him much good as he was severely damaged by a pair of backstabs and died of poison while running away.  While in the mood for temple quests the duo retrieved a sacred ring for the temple of Lathander.  They also upgraded the MoD - though a grumbling Grub complained it would be nice if he could actually use some of the level drain protection items being acquired (Rose commented he should hurry up and learn how to then).

Rose decided she should investigate how far she could take her rangerly duties and returned to Umar Hills.  There were no liches in the ruined temple, which made things relatively straightforward there.  Grub found that Greater Mummy disease can be painful, but attacking from the shadows made handling it easier.  The second group of undead was thinned out with a sunray and didn't last long, before Grub practised his backstabs on a shadow (commenting "that were wasted on thee lad").

Rose suggested they might want to leave the dragon until Grub had some breath protection, but he was having none of it and soon encased Thaxy in a ring of steel.  Rose hit with an opening backstab, while Grub missed - but his traps didn't.  Thaxy responded with a buffet that sent Rose sliding away unconscious; Grub courageously attacked by himself, only to find a reverse gear as his level dropped from 15 to 7 from a single breath.  Rose came to his senses quickly, while Thaxy shuddered from a second round of trap damage, and returned to the attack.  The dragon saw her coming and turned back from pursuing Grub to meet her, but a third portion of trap damage proved too much to handle.

After resting to recover Grub's levels they moved on to the Shade Lord.  Rose quickly got into position and opened with a backstab while Grub shot the altar with a sunstone bullet.  Shadow Patrick came to help the Shade Lord - arriving just in time to be obliterated by the sunray that also killed his master.

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Rose, stalker L12, 112 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 439 kills
Grub, assassin L15, 70 HPs (incl. 6 from ioun stone), 200 kills, 3 deaths

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Viell, dwarven swashbuckler (update 2)

At the graveyard Viell used stealth attacks to clear the tombs.  He tried a sunray on Uncle Lester, but missed - sorry about that Nevin!  Downstairs, he cleared away some spiders and then tried a potion of firebreath on Pai'Na.  Her magic resistance blocked that and she also saved against about 5 arrows of biting while casting harm and then fire elemental.  Viell stayed safely away from her and eventually she took 1 arrow too many and an immediate use of Kitthix and a couple of Gaxx hastes allowed Viell to finish off the elemental.

In the Southern tombs I misjudged how long the sunray would take to activate and got drained one level by a wight, but it did help clear the initial undead quickly.  The vampyre was activated only once all the others were dead and led onto 3 traps by Kitthix.  Unfortunately that didn't quite kill it immediately and it fled in bat shape.

From the Graveyard Viell followed a red trail to the Bridge District and released a kidnap victim (for a small consideration).  He also solved the Skinner murders.  The Rune Assassins were lured upstairs into waiting traps and summons.  I was too slow moving to avoid the first one's backstab, but the second went according to plan.  The next encounter in the area was with the Fallen Paladins - Kitthix and the berserk warrior along with a sunray thinned them out a bit and Viell then amused himself by using stealth attacks in troll form to finish them off.

Back in the Bridge District (after reporting to the paladins) Viell popped into a warehouse under stealth to look at Pitre's gang.  Coming back out he was followed by Valeria, who continued to dog his footsteps even through Gaxx invisibility, until being held by Kitthix.  Some traps were laid that killed another of the party before Kitthix and the warrior helped against the cleric.  The mage's stoneskins proved no match for a Gaxx improved haste using acid arrows.  Further up the area Capt Dennis and his mercenaries were also pulled outside, though they were subjected to a lengthy barrage of stealth shots.  A bit further along still and Sansuki was calling for help.  No summons were left, but the RoAC provided negative saves and a sunray killed 2 of the attackers - Daystar swiftly completing the job.

The only other thing Viell was planning to do in the Bridge District for the time being was Neb.  After talking to Sir Sarles Viell was travelling to the Promenade when Renfeld finally called for (and received) help.  After collecting some illithium alloy Viell went to confront Neb.  He picked up 2 backstabs for his pains, so was glad when he was able to finish him off with a firebreath / acid arrow combination (as usual I'm trying to avoid any use of healing potions or RoR).

Sir Sarles departed in a huff over a smudge or two.  That didn't worry 2 of the temples (particularly after Viell returned a relic of Lathander), while the 3rd was preoccupied searching for a mislaid necklace of their own.  The necklace reappeared in Mae'Var's hands before Viell was directed by Edwin in search of Rayic Gethras.  Before getting there though he was accosted by Tanova.  That was potentially a problem as she was too close for RoAC to be used safely, so he glugged a potion of invisibility before buffing and then using a sunray.  Two of the vampires died immediately, but Tanova got in a 4-level drain before being Daystarred.

At Rayic's house the mephits died to the old in and out ploy.  Summons and traps accounted for the golems.  The mage himself had extremely good saving throws, but still got silenced on a die roll of 1.  In the window of opportunity while he cast vocalize Viell poured in several arrows of biting - one bit and Rayic died shortly afterwards.  Next Viell acquired some documents, before closing down a pirate hideout and killing a renegade thief.  He took some evidence to Renal of Mae'Var's treachery, but hasn't gone back to the Guild yet (I want a few more summons to soak up backstabs first).

Instead he dropped off Renfeld's body, which had been decomposing gently in his pack for some time. A series of stealth shots accounted for Prebek & Sanasha allowing Viell to rob Harper HQ before watching enviously as Xzar was backstabbed.

Back in the Promenade Viell found his favourite room at the inn occupied - well he couldn't have that. He was keen to ensure Brennan didn't escape with his ring, so laid down a full complement of traps before engaging them.  That proved to be unnecessary when Kitthix managed to web Brennan - while she and the warrior attacked the thief, Viell used Gaxx haste and an arrow of biting to open up proceedings on Sorcerous Amon.  Unfortunately that triggered a conversation that did not pause the action and I was slow to react.  By the time I was able to finish the dialogue and pause to check that Amon had actually been poisoned both Brennan and the berserk warrior were dead and Viell's haste was long over (it was a good job I used summons there or Viell would might well have been killed while I was in the dialogue screen).  Recovering, Viell put a few more arrows in to finish off Amon, while Smaeluv, after killing Kitthix, ran into a wall of traps.  Viell dodged downstairs to hide from Mencar before another Gaxx haste allowed acid arrows to put Pooky out of his misery.  Viell tried meleeing Mencar, but couldn't finish him off before taking a dangerous amount of damage, so skipped around corners to hide a couple of times to get the killing blows in.

Stats (cont. from BG1)
Viell, swashbuckler L16, 78 HPs (incl. 7 from ioun stone), 494  kills

Edited by Grond0, 14 May 2013 - 05:24 AM.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Rose! Grub! Viell! No more bodies shall decompose gently. That is all.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Klonk / Valygar / Imoen / Jan / Viconia
Elhan is bamboozled, talking to the invisible Klonk but ignoring the invisible Viconia and hence she is not required to have a geas placed on her. We head to Watchers Keep to stash a load of gear and pick a few items up, and on our return to the city docks Kruin threatens us. Klonk has no use for the silver sword so hands the hilt over and heads to Cromwell.

The Equalizer; not much use really but a good last resort if charm/confusion is needed.
The Gesen shortbow; ideal for Imoen (she needs about 100k to reactivate her thieving skills).

Abandoned temple. Shadow dragon lasts a few rounds and is treated to 2x lower resistance, greater malison, doom, 2x breach and a variety of melee before it is magic missiled to the ground by Jan.Posted Image

Trademeet and the Druid Grove are next. careful not to enter the potion store as Jan will close it down. Cernd joins so his bears can feed on Faldorn and departs as the party reputation reaches 17. Klonk the Slayer returns it to 15 and our final act after checking with the parents of Tiris is to see if Mazzy is home. She’s still out...

Nalia is waiting at the de’Arnise keep, Klonk decides she can join up for a while if she’s careful with the Gesen bow, ioun stone, bracers of archery and shortsword of backstabbing. Can she put up with Jan though?Posted Image

After clearing the main hall Imoen takes the bow (thieving skills regained) and hands Nalia the crimson dart instead. Valygar boom-stuns an iron golem after it hits him and Nalia convinces Viconia to use the ring of human influence on Glaicas (or Glaicus as she calls him). Posted Image

Nalia casts a couldkill and Klonk stands in it to melee dog-fed umber hulks but none survive their initial cloudy contact. TorGal and his trolls are sliced, diced and tenderised - Viconia, Klonk and Jan all taste the smoky hulk remains and troll side-order as the three humans turn away in disgust.Posted Image

Klonk agrees to look after the de’Arnise keep for the time being but suggests Nalia return to the Copper Coronet instead of travelling further with the party (she’s a decent enough addition but not part of this team and Isaea Roenall is a bit drawn out).

Edited by Gate70, 14 May 2013 - 10:04 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
(the day nobody rested, and the truth according to Jan or made up according to me day)

Garren Windspear is treated to a tale of when Aunt Bertha's turnip pie recipe was taken hostage by Aunt Binny (truth). We leave him to ponder on the matter while we repatriate some acorns for the dryads.

Klonk asks Imoen why she is collecting every trinket dropped by orcs, to which there is only one reply “Our funds are running low and I am not eating that ankheg and wild dog stew”. Klonk takes her bowl and devours the contents before burping loudly (the flatulence will come later no doubt). Jan turns around “Don’t think you’re scoffing all the dessert my dear, mutated gibberling jelly is my favourite” (made up).

Some time later “My legs are tired” says Imoen “We must rest”. Jan doesn’t even turn round “My half-cousin Haplo has written to say he’s (at least I think he was a he when I last saw him) fed up of us resting after every fight and can we speed things up. He was always like that, ever since I cheated on the turnip and three cups game by using a well I'd better not say because otherwise everybody will be doing it. Tell you what, we’ll rest once the dragon is dead or it is too dark to see” (made up). Imoen grumbles “Your half cousin - he’s insane too then?”

A Ruhk Transmuter takes several seconds to turn hostile and Jan signals that his cousin would now approve of a backstab. Done.

Adamantite golem without a rest? Klonk uses Ilbratha Mirror > Enrage > Gaxx haste as Imoen adds spirit armour and Jan adds improved invisibility. Valygar helps, boom-stunning both this and a stone golem.

Klonk is fatigued and Imoen held but Jan convinces them to kill the troll cook, hobgoblins and otyugh for the sake of his cousin. Valygar uses a Daystar sunray on a horde of undead but Klonk has to enrage again and finish them off. Jan implores the party to continue and Viconia applies a lesser restoration to Valygar via wondrous recall.

Samia asks for help in locating the tomb of King Strohm so Klonk and Valygar assemble the mask of Strohm before their protections from fire wear off. They buff to kill a spectator beholder and a fire elemental which means we have reached the treasure trove. As Jan identifies a sword and shield Valygar stealthily observes that Samia is setting an ambush for us. Klonk is raged out so Viconia treats us all to chaotic commands and death wards while reserving an Archons for herself.

Klonk makes a point of talking to Samia, attacking Kaol as they go hostile. Valygar backstabs Legdoril and kills him with a few more hits while Viconia FoD’s the wounded Kaol. Imoen has cast greater malison and Jan sends Samia, Chak and Ferric Ironblade all emotional. Akae is cut down from all sides and the three on the floor never get to their feet again.

Jan is off again so we follow. A pack of greater wolfweres are cut down but Jan is moving again despite Klonk complaining of his grievous wounds. “Stop dripping on the floor (made up)” is about as considerate as it gets.Through orogs, more wolfweres, a troll and hobgoblin, golems, an air elemental, yet more golems, is there no end to this? Our bags are full, our backpacks getting heavy and our casters are unable to identify any more today.

Conster doesn’t do well against a breach and a remove magic. Klonk releases Iltha and turns to head back down to Firkraag.

Valygar snaps “Klonk, have you no mind of your own. Ignore these foolish gnomes and rest while you can”. Klonk replies “Nobody tells Klonk what to do and we will rest now.” Jan starts to point out that Klonk is not demonstrating free-thought but instead is substituting one set of advice for another but a stray thought crosses his mind and he is lost in woking out how a contrapufabulator should be built (made up).

Klonk is unable to get so sleep so glugs a potion of heroism and sets to work.Posted Image

Jan yawns “Nap time”. Everybody stares at him - it’s only mid-day.

Edited by Gate70, 14 May 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Haplo_74

Haplo_74
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Gate70 wrote...

Jan doesn’t even turn round “My half-cousin Haplo has written to say he’s (at least I think he was a he when I last saw him) fed up of us resting after every fight and can we speed things up.

:)

Yes, he's still a he, but one hobgobelin met on the road back to Nashkel does not have this chance (it doesn't matter now because this hobgobelin(e) is dead).

Edited by Haplo_74, 14 May 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
;)
Alhoon is not pleased to find out we are back in the city and his nefarious plans are soon thwarted. Mekrath doesn’t take insults well, or breach, nor indeed remove magic. The Warden can only fall to pieces as Klonk and Valygar race each other through his defences using their boots of speed.

Cromwell forges red dragon armour for Viconia and shadow dragon armour as a spare, while Klonk is trying to dual-wield the Wave halberd alongside the Dragons Bane halberd. Valygar is finding this hilarious, demonstrating time and again how Celestial Fury and Belm can move so fast that Klonk can hardly even see them. Klonk eventually sticks with Dragon’s Bane, his dreams of dual wielding in tatters (as are various items in range of his practice).

Viconia believes there are only two major jobs before we can go see our old friend Bodhi. Klonk asks what the other one is when he hears about the Unseeing Eye and Valygar’s eyes burn with anticipation as we enter the Planar Sphere. We are shaken to the ground as the sphere judders and Jan apologises for pressing the wrong button. Valygar has a quick look outside and exclaims that we are on another plane. What a to-do.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Kayardi tries to maze Klonk but he is enraged and a breach / remove magic combo allow him to slice the mage apart a moment or two later. Three fire elementals are Waved before Lavok is treated to a double dose of breach / remove magic, as are Tolgerias and his companion.

Valygar kills a few mephits as Klonk Waves salamanders in the fire and ice rooms - although an efreeti in the fire room refuses to be Waved so a few hits are required. We head outside where a tanar’ri takes a hit, a backstab and two more hits to kill. Lavok seeshis final glimpse of the slums.

We commission Crom Faeyr from Cromwell so stone golems, clay golems, ettins (there are none left) and trolls (that’s the reason right there) can be destroyed with a single blow. We also purchase the shield of Balduran from Deidre plus the robe of Vecna Imoen. Klonk is busy checking his journal, trying to find something...anything...to delay the Unseeing Eye.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Gate70 - I think at anytime you can shortcut the eye quest and just tell Gaal you will destroy the cult - the unseeing eye appears, you kill it, and end of story. I do the quick route sometimes if I don't want the long solution.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I think I've only ever done that by mistake in some of my first few runs of the game.

The Unseeing Eye does indeed look like the only remaining point of interest. Viconia is a passenger in battle (non magical bullets, can’t see a decent weapon option for her without the bullet-less sling) but she demonstrates her class with repeated buffs and by re-levelling a drained Valygar. Jan is handling traps left, right and centre while Imoen is a primary de-buffer so Klonk and Vaygar can do their worst.

Shadows arrive as we fight the beholders and gauth near the old Amanuator temple. As the last falls Valygar has got to the point of almost raging, and shouts to Klonk for more enemies. No answer, then he realises Klonk has been cutting off eyestalks and has thirteen in his mouth “Two more and it’s a record” the half-orc gargles - his grin is most disconcerting as the many eyes are focused on Valygar through the gaps in his tusks.

Klonk loses his wager with Gaal. It seems Imoen may have shot the carrion crawler but Jan’s trap claimed the kill. “Into the pit you go ugly” says Gaal and shoves Klonk. & so the Unseeing Eye quest begins after a relatively soft landing.

There’s a lich in the feeder pit, both Klonk and Valygar have to retreat (first time for several sessions) as the horde of undead pile the pressure on. A berserk warrior, flesh golem and genie provide enough reinforcement for Valygar to return while Klonk halberds the lich.

The beholder pit is treated to a Klonk-cloak and Valygar-shield demolition run, with Klonk briefly stopping to add a Dragons Bane halberd to his collection (if I’ve mentioned Dragon’s Bane before I meant Dragon’s Breath). The Unseeing Eye falls for the old rod and prod combo.Posted Image

Imoen, Jan and Viconia arrive as Klonk and Valygar are looting the corpses of Gaal and his elite guards, for a moment Jan thinks the two frontliners have used GWW attacks but they’re not that proficient yet - just brutally efficient between the big-hitting stuns of Valygar and the bigger hitting of Klonk.

The huge half-orc has filled his bag of holding for the first time and with 2 scroll cases almost full and 2 gem bags completely stuffed it is a challenge to pick up the last few items of value. Viconia tries a girdle of fortitude on (+18hp) and takes a liking to it.

Imoen wants a final shop before we re-unite with Bodhi.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Klonk sells some of his gems to Roger the Fence (Grond0 can attest to my reluctance to sell a single diamond, star sapphire, kings tears, beljuril, rogue stone or emerald) and keeps the rest to add to his hoard in Watchers Keep. Mekrath reaches out from the grave corners of the room, with his imp and an earth elemental becoming two more bodies in our wake.

Bodhi has arranged a welcome party. It almost turns out into an unwelcome un-party.Posted Image

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Gate70 - Keep the focus up! The run looks great so far...

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Give 'em more of "the old rod and prod combo," Klonk!! Looking good!

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Klonk / Valygar / Imoen / Jan (Viconia)
750gp for restorations. Valygar, Imoen and Jan review their spellbooks and we rest at a friendly inn in the sinister graveyard. A few vampires prove hard to deal with and then Klonk notices a larger group.Posted Image

Between the remaining vampires and vampiric mists everybody ends up drained so we head to a temple where a friendly priest inquires why Valygar isn’t using the Amulet of Power. We thank him for his help and he asks why we don’t use protection from undead scrolls too. Great, only he has none and our earlier lich hunt cleared most out. Lady Yuth has one and Ribald has two, Galoomp has one and a scroll container, that should be more than enough.

Valygar scouts around the spike chamber and confirms there are no more undead here, so we cleared the entire level on our last visit. We descend downstairs after Klonk equips the gauntlets of weapon expertise.

Valygar kills one vampire and starts on a grimwarder as Imoen and Jan move in to target it too (in case Klonk needs an escape path). Klonk is surrounded by the grimwarder, two fledgling vampires, Bodhi and VICONIA. He’s ignored everybody apart from Bodhi and his brute strength forces out what little essence she used to remain in this world.
Posted Image

She lands one last hit and he responds by chunking her across the room. After the remaining undead are destroyed he drops his halberd and punches Viconia to the floor so she can be “gently” killed by a Gesen arrow. Jan speed-reads three books as Klonk stakes Bodhi and bags her heart together with the lanthorn. Valygar is working out how to use Hardiness (first HLA of the game) and Jan is adding a couple of spells to his memorised list.

(A good result - no green scrolls necessary in the end, and the series of snares in the corridor (contingency plan) remain untouched)

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
We stake a final vampire on the way out and head to the abandoned temple near Umar. Imoen stops us, reminding us that we need to speak to a cleric in the dock district to find out how it works. Well, how we laughed. Read the instructions - what a thought.

The uneducated experiment ends well and Viconia is both raised and cured. Her immediate reaction is to say she never wants to leave again, followed 2 seconds later by complaining about our reputation (17). Klonk treats her to 30 seconds of Slayer-love (!, reputation 15).

One last thing to do for a fallen comrade.Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 14 May 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
We stop off at Watchers Keep on the way to Suldanessellar. Once there Valygar uses Crom Faeyr on trolls, stone golems and clay golems while switching to Celestial Fury to boom-stun other enemies. Raamilat and a pit fiend force him to retreat but Klonk has killed a nabassu and shugs off a meteor storm to kill the pit fiend while Raamilat dies from something (last action was ineffective hit from Valygar but might have been a Fury effect?)

Valygar Crom’s a sand golem (not stated as affected so perhaps defined as a stone or clay golem) then we buff for a black dragon that can be seen at the base of some stairs (well, viewed with Jan’s mega-goggles perhaps).

Jan runs as a cloud of insects chase him. Valygar suddenly realises he is low health so runs, glugs a healer and returns as the dragon switches back to Klonk.

(Then I do something silly, not sure what but Viconia moves in with her sling. She tries to retreat but no luck)Posted Image

Once the dragon is dead Klonk digs out his rod of resurrection and raises her.

Meanwhile Jan has added several spell buffs but to no effect (I assume the key point is when cast not when the character is reached, in the same way as Maze for example). He glugs a regeneration then an extra healer; Viconia hits him with dispel to remove his buffs so her healing can work but this seems to remove the insects too.

(First unscripted death/revival for Viconia)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Viell, dwarven swashbuckler (update 3)

Remembering he had some unfinished business with the slavers, Viell returned to the Copper Coronet and took a trip through the sewers.  The only mistake there was using a main-hand fist to pummel some myconids, but that worked surprisingly well and all were dead long before RoAC  II expired.  Obtaining Lilarcor got Viell to level 17.  Viell's AC was good enough that, with RoAC active, he took minimal damage from the group of slaver guards with the cleric.  With them dead he meleed Capt Haegan (taking just one hit in return) and the trolls (reverting to acid arrows to finish off the latter).  Kitthix came up trumps against the slaver wizards, webbing both of them.

There were 2 ambushes on the way to the de'Arnise Hold, forcing Viell to dig into his bag for a ring of invisibility to prepare to use stealth shots on the second. No problems in working through the trolls there, though it was a pain constantly switching to arrows to kill them (should have bought the Sword of Flame).  I've never really used the rat shape, but thought that might be an option for certain combats this run, so experimented with it briefly.  Interestingly, the dogs outside, that would normally run from a human, were prepared to swap bites with a rat.  Viell had no weapons that can hurt a clay golem, but his traps have recently started doing fire damage and did the job.  Traps also made a start on the iron golem, though most of the damage was done in melee - Viell finishing it off just before he needed to retreat

The umber hulks were killed using just DUHM and RoAC - though the latter did wear off just before the final hulk died.  Torgal was already in trouble from a couple of traps even before Kitthix webbed him.  Even though Viell fancies himself as a pretty good fighter these days Nalia was not willing to offer him a stronghold.

Moving on to Trademeet a couple of traps gave Viell a 3rd summons option before he left for the Grove.  Still no suitable melee weapon so his bow was regularly in action against trolls lying down on the job.  No problems working through there.  He picked up Belm for a nice APR boost before taking the Flame Tongue sword from Dalok (after all the trolls were already dead of course!).  He just observed as Cernd sliced Faldorn into ribbons.

After a quick trip back to Athakatla to empty a few inventory slots Viell returned to Trademeet to do some shopping.  He also cleared the tomb and saved Raissa (and even talked to Neeber).

With Ras added to the summons now available Viell invaded Mae'Var's guild on his return to Athkatla.  He took just one backstab in clearing the place - the efreeti and Ras making a good team against Mae'Var, rendering the back-up traps unnecessary.  Viell got level 20 during that fighting and shortly afterwards pledged to run the place himself.  Given that, it seemed only sensible to join forces with Aran's thieves guild so Viell went to pay his 15k to Gaelan Bayle.  He collected his goodies from Aran Linvail, as well as finding another ring in the Guild to enhance his lock picking skill (for those occasions when he doesn't have DUHM available to top up his 80% skill).

Viell arrived too late to save Mook, but Lassal's misdeeds were exposed to the light of the sun.  The trail led on to a Guild Contact and then back to the Graveyard where a bunch of vampires were waiting.  The first of those got Viell to level 21 and his final saving throw improvement.  For Tanova the berserk warriorinduced Tanova to kill her own simmy.  Kitthix and the efreeti pulled out more spells before Ras occupied her attention allowing Viell free shots.  Unfortunately he didn't shoot quite fast enough to kill her before she disappeared in bat form.  Downstairs, a greater ghoul tried to hide in a crack in the wall, but was discovered by a sunray.  The vampires there were mainly shot while occupied by summons, while the grimwards were swiftly meleed.  Lassal died to traps, leaving a couple left for Bodhi.  She fought better than normal - killing the efreeti quickly before turning on Viell and draining him 4 levels before a sunray made her run.

Reporting back to Aran got Viell to level 22, but he wasn't ready to take ship just yet.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I don't think Flame Tongue applies fire damage so won't kill trolls (pretty sure I've found that out the hard way). The sword of flame does though.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Chaotic Commands is the key buff in Suldanessellar and all goes well until we reach a temple to kill Suneer. He falls quickly so Valygar boom-stuns a rakshasa as Klonk halberds an iron golem and Viconia uses a bolt of glory to kill a glabrezu. The avatar of Rillifane arrives to interrupt everything Klonk has to say then levels everybody up (at 2.6m-3.3m xp that is quite some trick, 65k xp each) .

Valygar and Klonk teach each other Whirlwind while Imoen and Viconia manage to remember a few more spells. As for Jan he’s also memorised another spell or two but is trying out the staff of the woodlands (use any item).
Reirra wins the quickest trader to re-open competition and Imoen sells another pile of trinkets. A short while later we have re-attached a harp and horn to a pair of statues. Klonk tells Imoen she can leave if she chooses, and Valygar. Both opt to continue and Viconia interrupts the next question to say she is coming. Jan is most put-out as Klonk ignores him and doesn’t give the option of leaving (poor little fella).

As we stand atop the tree of life Viconia asks about a rite of passage and Klonk realises his romance is now or never so chooses to stand still until she thinks of something else. It could be a long wait.

Haplo_74

Haplo_74
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Gate70 wrote...

As we stand atop the tree of life Viconia asks about a rite of passage and Klonk realises his romance is now or never so chooses to stand still until she thinks of something else. It could be a long wait.

Klonk to Viconia : "Hum, you know it's maybe our last day in this world (because the mad wizard is very strong).
Do you want to have sex one last time ?"

Very romantic, this Klonk :))

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Nice one Haplo. Looking at a romance guide it appears there are 5-10 dialogues left, I'm not that patient so Klonk is out of luck

Even with Powerword:FPS=60 Viconia only manages one further romantic notion before Klonk tires of waiting. As he and Valygar remove the parasite guardians Jan and Imoen venture towards Irenicus. Imoen steps back but Jan tries laying a trap. It works so he and Imoen lay a few more (yes I know but this is a no reload).

Everybody converges around the final parasite and buffs before killing it. Irenicus manages to get a timestop up but the traps have wounded him and start to disrupt his spells.Posted Image

Viconia, Imoen and Jan have spread to three different branches as Klonk and Valygar test the defences of Irenicus. Viconia casts true sight while Imoen and Jan cast ruby ray, remove magic, pierce magic and breach. Klonk passes the next test. Posted Image

Irenicus tries to react but Valygar lands two hits as does Klonk. Irenicus collapses but Valygar finds time to kick him when he is down (offhand hit for 19).
Posted Image

Klonk feels his DUHM coming back, but then everything shudders and he is drawn into the hells and his party with him.

Edited by Gate70, 15 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Viconia scowls as Klonk chooses 5 good options for the Tears of Bhaal but still buffs us for what follows. She drops back with Imoen and Jan, leaving Klonk and Valygar as a distraction. Irenicus has turned himself into the (a) slayer.
Posted Image

Viconia casts true sight as Irenicus leaves an illusion and moves away. Klonk follows but Valygar is wounded and keeps himself out of range ready to move in when needed. Imoen adds another true sight as we de-buff (n.b. just seen Klonk has forgotten to enrage - at least chaotic commands would protect against maze).
Posted Image

Valygar moves in but Irenicus has un-slayered and had enough;
Valygar hits for "Curse you" and transition back from slayer to Irenicus
Klonk hits for "What is happening... My magic... i... no..."
Valygar hits for "NO! NO!"
Klonk hits for the death notification.Posted Image

There is a brief celebration and then we are sent to recuperate. As for Irenicus his fate is a deserving one.

Stats (change since last time I checked)
Klonk, berserker 21. 1114 kills, Bodhi. (+274)
Valygar, stalker 19. 559 kills, Balor. (+319)
Imoen, thief 12 > mage 16. 134 kills, Balor. (+33)
Jan, illusionist 14 / thief 15. 48 kills, Thax’llssillyia. (+22)
Viconia, cleric 21. 83 kills, Drow Servant. (+16)

Edited by Gate70, 15 May 2013 - 11:56 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Gate70 wrote...
 Irenicus has turned himself into the (a) slayer.

Slayer... '85 "Hell Awaits" - that particular song came to my mind while reading your post, Gate. Congratulations on finishing Jon! Keep rocking in ToB! 

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 15 May 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
I'll take your word for it, not a song or group I can remember.

Klonk / Valygar / Imoen / Jan / Viconia (Sarevok)

Illasera laughs, she has Klonk surrounded and he has stood like an idiot waiting for her to talk. Her smile freezes as he halberds a Black Reaver to the ground and disappears entirely as Valygar backstabs a second. Imoen, Jan and Viconia hit a third as they drop from invisibility.

Now Klonk has her outnumbered and after he shrugs off a stun (enraged) her only good fortune is to perish before Valygar can land his next backstab.
Posted Image

The party is teleported to what turns out to be a pocket plane and a solar talks to Klonk. Once she is done Sarevok turns up like a bad smell. He wants a piece of Klonk but will settle for a piece of Imoen. Klonk plays along to allow his soul to be shared and Sarevok solidifies into much of the formidable character he once was.

Klonk discovers a way to bring back companions of old thanks to a Fate Spirit. There are a few mentioned but his request for Yoshimo is not possible and Minsc isn’t even on the list. Aerie, Anomen, Cernd, Edwin, Haer’Dalis, Jaheira, Edwin, Korgan (only one not talked to in SoA), Nalia and even Mazzy (tempting). Klonk thinks back and realises that is everybody. He throws his bag of holding at Sarevok, telling him to take whatever he needs. The sword of chaos is the first item grabbed but Soul Reaver, Dragons Bane and Firetooth are also readied.
Posted Image

Edited by Gate70, 15 May 2013 - 01:12 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Well done Gate70 - I hope to see Klonk go all the way now.