• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Daibhi, LvL 10 Sorcerer - Final Update
------------------------------------------------------
Maybe I bit off more than i could Handle by tackling the Planar Sphere right away. I manage to clear up to the golem room, but made a critical mistake of moving the party forward instead of scouting ahead like i have been doing. As a result Necre and the other named Halfing made fish meat of the crew by confusing the squad while holding me. Unfortunate, but learned a valuable lesson about scouting.

I'm not certain at this time what my newest entry will be, but will think on it. I'm looking for something that is hard and challenging without having to modify the game. I'm not a fan of Mods as I've noted many times over. Any suggestions within the normal limitations of the game? I prefer to use only official NPC so no custom parties.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Easymask wrote...
Oh and greetings to you Alesia, how did your solo Stalker fare?

It's good to hear from you Easymask.

My stalker, Ashoka, fell in the Tougher Abazigal fight. She was put to sleep by Tamah and then killed. It was a fun run nonetheless.

Knowing what I know now, I'm confident that I could get a stalker through to The Throne: the Greenstone Amulet, Roranarch's Horn and the hidey-hole make Tamah far less dangerous. And while I still haven't attempted the final SCS-Ascenion with a warrior, I do think a well equipped stalker would have an excellent chance.

My most recent character, Alisa, is still alive and is nearly ready to head to Suldanessellar. I haven't posted on her recently because I've been spending my time reading and prepping for a RL adventure. I'm getting back in the mood for BG play though so you may hear from her soon.

Anyhoo. Good hunting Easymask!

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 21 May 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
@ Alesia

Sad to hear of her downfall, I had hoped that she would prevail in the end. I am none the less looking quite forward to your rerurn; as I always find your runs both interesting and a show of highly skillful play.
I was also meaning to ask everyone, though these posts of mine digress from this thread's function, is there a "Hall of Heroes" for those thave in fact completed the challenge? It would be interesting to see who succeeded in the task - both solo and in parties. I saw the list containing the classes that have not soloed the task, but that is not what I am looking for.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Easymask wrote...
I was also meaning to ask everyone, though these posts of mine digress from this thread's function, is there a "Hall of Heroes" for those thave in fact completed the challenge? It would be interesting to see who succeeded in the task - both solo and in parties. I saw the list containing the classes that have not soloed the task, but that is not what I am looking for.

The very first post of this thread contains rules of the challenge and the Hall of Heroes, moderated by Corey.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
Ah, thank you Serg!

Noticed there are no Barbarians, shouldnt those be quite potent for this task?

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Easymask wrote...

Noticed there are no Barbarians, shouldnt those be quite potent for this task?

In capable hands any class could be potent for the task, I think :) 
The *problem* is that different players prefer different classes and as a result have more chances to succeed with them. For example Corey or Gate are profies with warriors while I myself leaning towards casters and no matter how potentially brilliant barbarian could be I think he will quickly bring me to the boredom...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 21 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
Serg, your comment about using a party against Tanova was a nice read. I am starting to use party de-buffs against enemies (previously I'd just match their buffs with plenty of my own and wear them down, still got a fair bit to learn with de-buffs but getting there).

Good luck to all who currently have a game in progress.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Gate70 wrote...

previously I'd just match their buffs with plenty of my own and wear them down.

That's the approach I tend to take when solo and working with a spell slot deficit. With a party and or a surplus of spell slots, it pays to be more agressive though.

This page may help you get the vanilla mechanics down.

http://www.sorcerers...erence/Main.htm

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 21 May 2013 - 10:27 PM.

Gate70

Gate70
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts
The spell protections part is exactly what I need. Thanks.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
 I'm glad you found it. I had intended to link directly to the spell protections page. =]

Edited by Alesia_BH, 22 May 2013 - 01:28 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
The Story of BlackStrider & The Motley Crue (Update #18 - The Planar Prison):  

Well, I'm glad to report that The Avatars now have their own Theatre to play with (or withing). 
After a bounty hunters came through the portal and stole the Raelis' group we took heavy buffs again and followed them. On the Dark Side of the Moon other side we found ourselfs quickly in a battle with the bounty hunter and his cronies. When their pre-buffs fired Grond immediately hit Yuan-Ti looking mage with bolt of bitting poisoning him in the very first hit, Pot Emotioned a couple of other hunters and BlackStrider layered that with Harp of Discord divine melody. The fight was particulary over from now on. The only *casuality* was that I don't realised that the second Yuan-Ti mage has a Physical Mirror among his pre-buffs so Grond took few hits from his own bolts. Cassia stepped forward and finished the mage in melee. Then Grond finished a couple more mages with bolts of lightning (pretty nice vs stoneskinned foes) - not a quadro of Yuan-Ti mages, just couple of thrall mages with Umber Hulks support - and together with Krimlor and Cassia with the support of fire elemental and nymph engaged the Master of Thralls. The Warden himself fell in the Death Fog (alas Tagget also stepped in it and died as well...). Raelis gave us the deed to the Theatre, Haer'Dalis ented his nice swords for our future use (thanks to Easymask I discovered that BG2_Tweaks has a component *Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues* - just a gem in my situation) and now we have a couple of days to find some money for the Theatre invesment.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Current state:

BlackStrider: Blade(16), 161 kills (Shade Lord);
Alesia The Curious: Mage(11)/Thief(13), 18 kills (Gauth); (1 death);
Grond The Pathfinder: Archer(12), 128 kills (Master of Thralls);
Cassia The Furious: Shapeshifter(13), 202kills (Gauth); (1 death);
Krimlor: Fighter(10)/Cleric(11), 134kills (Bone Golem); (1 death);
Pot The Selfless: Mage(13), 31kills (Sorcerous Amon).(1 death).

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 22 May 2013 - 08:40 AM.

Easymask

Easymask
  • Members
  • 238 posts
Looking forward to the rest of your journey, Serg!

I have a question concerning my transfer from Baldurs Gate to Amn, am I allowed to bring any items a long? As I cannot use my characterfile (BG:EE character load crashes BG2) - I am wondering if I should Shadowkeeper any of the items I had with me into BG2.

Thanks in advance everyone!

goblinsly1

goblinsly1
  • Members
  • 174 posts
I see this topic is visited regulary. Might i ask you to tell me if its normal to have such high level when you enter underdark for the first time ? I have scs2 and did basicly everything i could before going to underdark. Minsc has a whooping 2.700.000 experience, haerdalis is level 18, my main char is 13/14 berserker/mage, etc. Is this normal ? I didnt go to watchers keep.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Easymask wrote...
I have a question concerning my transfer from Baldurs Gate to Amn, am I allowed to bring any items a long? As I cannot use my characterfile (BG:EE character load crashes BG2) - I am wondering if I should Shadowkeeper any of the items I had with me into BG2.

If it's an item you would normally get carried through into BG2, e.g. Helm of Balduran then just do it.  If you want other items then I would suggest you say what they are when you write your report.

A list of items which can normally carry across is at http://www.forgotten.../miscellany.htm.  Note that in vanilla you only get 1 item from each list, but BGT changes this so that any items on the list transfer.

goblinsly1 wrote...
I see this topic is visited regulary. Might i ask you to tell me if its normal to have such high level when you enter underdark for the first time ? I have scs2 and did basicly everything i could before going to underdark. Minsc has a whooping 2.700.000 experience, haerdalis is level 18, my main char is 13/14 berserker/mage, etc. Is this normal ? I didnt go to watchers keep.

That doesn't sound too unreasonable fpr a party of around 4.  If you're solo you could expect to get around 8m XP before going to the Underdark if you do everything and you'll get a bit more than that with a party.

goblinsly1

goblinsly1
  • Members
  • 174 posts
Oh i forgot to tell you. I have been using 5 characters in my game .... me as berserker/mage, minsc, jaheira, haerdalis, aerie, and i just got imoen. I do remember that in all my games i did have HLA in my last fight of SOA. But as the reason for SCS2 is that i want challenge, i am afraid this will make it too easy.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts

goblinsly1 wrote...
i want challenge

Then you're in the right place!  This is the no-reload challenge thread. Start your game over in Chateau Irenicus, or go all the way back to Candlekeep, and play a game where your decisions really matter. Accept all the consequences of your actions, good or bad, without trying to rewind time. And if your main character dies, game over. That will keep things from getting too easy, I guarantee.

Edited by Blind_Visionary, 23 May 2013 - 11:35 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Gate70/Grond0 Multiplayer attempt 22 - (update 8 - final)
Rose, human stalker (Grond0) & Grub, halfling assassin (Gate70)

Regrettably the backstab twins suffered a taste of their own medicine last night.

The first bad decision of the night was to try and squeeze in a short session at all!  Once underway it was agreed the duo should make use of scrolls of magic protection to have a go at the Twisted Rune and Guarded Compound as the final things to do prior to leaving for Spellhold.  The former was pretty easy, but time ticked away when trying to finish off an efreeti summoned by Layene - it twice went gaseous before eventually dieing.  It would have made sense to measure the time taken more accurately, e.g. by using potions and seeing when they expired, but that wasn't done.

Returning from the Rune, the duo swiftly ran across town and dived into the Guarded Compound.  It would probably have been better to have left the downstairs enemies until later, but they were killed first - again an efreeti consumed valuable time by going gaseous.  Upstairs, Grub disarmed a couple of traps and then tried moving into a side room to lay her own traps.  By that time a true sight had been cast and Grub was spotted going into the room.  She was able to hide, but when she tried to lay a trap she failed - as 2 of the opponents had followed her into the room invisibly.  Now visible, she was one-shotted by a Ketta backstab - what a way for an assassin to goPosted Image.

At this stage I wasn't worried as, with the scroll still active, Rose would easily be a match for the party on her own.  However, first I wanted to get out of the room to hide.  Initially I waited a few seconds for the opposition to clear the doorway, but the casters stayed blocking it.  So Rose moved to the alternative door - unfortunately I didn't notice that as she arrived there her scroll protection had lapsed (and hence she hadn't equipped the Shield of Harmony).  Scenting their opportunity the casters instantly put up a chaos spell and Rose immediately lost her senses - and shortly afterwards her life.

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
Tragedy! A rose for their graves. Condolonences, Gate & Grond0...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Coretrue continuing his Trilogy no-reload challenge...
Corey_Russell/Dogdancing Multi-player No-reload - Attempt 5, Update 14
Coretrue controlled by CR, Wewa controlled by Dog

Coretrue and Wewa have defeated Sarevok. They also managed to escape Chateau Irenicus without casualty. It was felt with all the quest items/potions/ammo etc. in BG 2 we would need a bag of holding, so that was put in. During import, the HP were very wrong, so had to go into SK anyways to fix that. As usual, we dumped everything in the bag of holding out, as it was just that we wanted.

There's not much to say about the dungeon, except the one things we did NOT fight were the mephitis on the plane - Wewa stealthed past them with a haste potion active to talk to the Genie and get Coretrue his sword. Everything else we engaged. We also failed to kill the Vampire in time, we tried to use our arrows but that was much too slow. Wewa did backstabs when safe enough, or when advantageous (such as backstabbing the mage guarding the girdle of bluntness). We also used snares, she has 3 of them now. Coretrue did not level at all during this initial foray (slow paladin leveling).

Circus will be our next problem to solve. We didn't spend our initial cash, saving up for AC 3 bracers for Wewa - Coretrue plans to get his full plate from Droth.

Coretrue Character Sheet
Posted Image

Wewa Character Sheet
Posted Image

Edited by corey_russell, 24 May 2013 - 06:11 AM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
You are right, BV: Theatre Of Tragedy - *A Rose For The Dead* for those beyond... Feel sad for your loss, guys.

Safe travels for Coretrue and Wewa, Corey!

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 24 May 2013 - 06:14 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Serg BlackStrider wrote...

You are right, BV: Theatre Of Tragedy - *A Rose For The Dead* for those beyond... Feel sad for your loss, guys.

Safe travels for Coretrue and Wewa, Corey!

Thanks Serg! We will try to be safe...Wewa likes her risks, but she's a good girl...I asked her if she ever wanted to be the protagonist one of these runs and she said no, she wants to be able to not worry much about dying, she doesn't want to be cautious - she loves adventure, as they say.

goblinsly1

goblinsly1
  • Members
  • 174 posts
Hmm i was wondering ... is there any paper on what dispells what in the terms of spell protections ? Because right now it would appear that no matter what i do (SI:A, Spell shield, etc.), i get dispelled in a few moments, on the other hand it would appear impossible to do anything to enemies. Spell shield isnt a problem, since i just send 1 breach and its down. What about SI:A, which spells will remove it ? An enemy cast warding whip at me and it did the job. Mages with SCS2 are really really good and as a mage myself i demand to be given the latest update on what does what. :))

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

goblinsly1 wrote...

Hmm i was wondering ... is there any paper on what dispells what in the terms of spell protections ? Because right now it would appear that no matter what i do (SI:A, Spell shield, etc.), i get dispelled in a few moments, on the other hand it would appear impossible to do anything to enemies. Spell shield isnt a problem, since i just send 1 breach and its down. What about SI:A, which spells will remove it ? An enemy cast warding whip at me and it did the job. Mages with SCS2 are really really good and as a mage myself i demand to be given the latest update on what does what. :))

Try to inspect this: http://www.sorcerers...erence/Main.htm /Spell Protections part.
SI:A should protect vs Dispel and Spell Thrust is the SI counter and imo the best spell protections remover early on (as it removes all of them at once).

Blind_Visionary

Blind_Visionary
  • Members
  • 462 posts
@goblinsly, check out the link in Alesia's post, about ten up.
http://social.biowar...42/264#16730452

Also, are you joining the no-reload challenge?

goblinsly1

goblinsly1
  • Members
  • 174 posts
For now i want to finish my normal play of SCS2, it will be my first time, otherwise i just played with tactics and ascension. As for this chart, i checked it many times but i was sure things are different in SCS2 as it would appear it makes no difference. I even tried casting 3x spell thrust and it still said spell ineffective. Same with secret word and other such spells.