Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@corey- Paja's death sure does shed some darkness on your crew, but I think you'll do just fine my friend.  Best advice I can give your group, don't let Hanna go, I personally would see Hanna as vital as CoreTalos.  Best wishes Corey. 

Hanna is indeed vital. She only has 9 CON though and hasn't had great rolls either, so it's a lot of work to keep her alive. I think unbuffed she only has 40 HP...she does use the CON waist item regularly, mainly to make it harder for something to chunk her.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

It's not the amulet of power, it lists no restrictions at all. Why wouldn't you be able to use it?

Augur can use it, I'm just not sure if that was intended by developers.  The wizard slayer class is supposed to be restricted from using all magic items other than weapons, certain types of armour and healing items, so I wouldn't expect to be able to use any amulets.  It's possible this one was deliberately designated as an exception as part of the design of ToB; it's also possible that it was just overlooked as the wizard slayer restriction needs to be put individually onto every item and some of them accidentally omitted that restriction.

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Norros Woodsoul -Half Elf Cleric Ranger 3rd Update in SoA

I had my update, but I accidently lost it :/ .  Well...I did the Planar Sphere, Mind Flayer undercity in the sewers, and some other stuff, but I forgot.  I normally write as I am doing the action that i'm writing about lol.  Also, Alhoon is undead by the way so it was a one hit wonder on the guy lol, I hit LvL Cleric 17/ Ranger 14 in that fight - GWW.  I hit him with my IMoD and he died instantly. 

I hit my 4mil xp prerequisite (2mil each class), so I headed off to talk to Aran, then left for Spellhold.  I beat the three ambush vampires then headed of towards Perith.  He casted spell trap, but I just GWW and plowed through him and grabbed the ward.  I crossed the bridge and killed the mists waiting on the other side.  The shades awaiting for me at the top of the stairs were exploded at the very sight of my holy symbol.  In the dream sequence, I sacrificed DEX and am down to 18 DEX. 

1st Layer of Spellhold, I did the book of monsters and hit LvL Cleric 17/ Ranger 15 (GWW).  Killed off those kobolds and grabbed the shard.  The Lich and the rest of the undead were killed by turning undead.  They exploded, I did hit the Lich a couple of times, but he shadow doored so I turned undead and chunked him.  Killed the Vampire while severing his hand, solved the items puzzle,  the riddles and put the stones in the dimension door to receive the doomplate,  killed the Yuan-ti's and went to the 2nd Layer.  Took an entire smoke break just to see the two secret door.  With all my buffs applied I grabbed the paintings off the wall and continued further to catch up with Bodhi. Killing the minotaurs gained me another LvL Cleric 18/ Ranger 15 (GWW).  Killed all the painting monsters.  Turned in my tokens to get the Electric and frost boots.  I had to dawn the ring of influence to have the key warden unlock all the crazies, wenav transported us and we prepared for battle.  Awesome I pulled off an Insect Plague while Jon was doing an incantation to a spell.  GWW swings ended the fight shortly enough, and Irenicus fled.  I decided to take Saemon's word on getting to Irenicus. 

Aboard the ship the Gith attacked and the ship sunk into the sea.  I agreed to help out the king fish, even though it would end their existence, so be it, they are evil and should end regardless.  Doing the Imp's riddle gave me another LvL Cleric 18/ Ranger 16 (GWW).  Convinced the Beholder to let me see inside the chest, and then I told him to leave.  I killed the prince with a new tactic (Global Sanctuary) cast Globe of Blades and sanctuary, and just walk around at your enemies :D.  It chunkes the prince with 67 and 24.  I turned the quest in and descended into the Underdark.  Hit LvL Cleric 19/ Ranger 16 (GWW).

I killed all the air, earth, and fire (with staff of fire) elemental portals.  The first drow party proved to be a big hassal, Insect Plague and Holy Smite was covered up by MR, so that left just melee.  Had to use two uses of RoR, but prevailed regardless.  I entered the kuo cavern to get the girdle of frost giant, I killed the beholders with the beholder shield.  The rest of the Kuo's were just GWW'd to death, hit LvL Cleric 20/ Ranger 17 (GWW and Hardness).  I conjured up the demons and GWW'd them into bits.  Shortly after I arrived at the deep gnome encampment.  I killed the Balor with a GWW, and turned the quest in for the gem.  Disguised as a drow, I entered the city and received my first quest.  The Drow hunter party outside the city was quickly put to rest by prebuffs and 3x Insect Plagues.  They all scattered in fear, and I just GWW'd the rest.  At the Flayer war party, I prebuffed myself, and initiated the sequence, success!  I GWW'd the first and second Flayer, then waited two more seconds then did another GWW on the third and the three umber hulks.  I turned the quest in and was granted leave for a day or two, so I fought in the pits against the enemies of the drow, GWW was once again a useful tactic against them, along with the shield for the beholder.  The next quest is to go kill the rogue beholder, I handled it just like every other beholder before, buff (even though anti magic still bypasses the shield) then equip the shield and swing away. 

I was told to go and kill Solf. but I couldn't just kill the man, I had him hand over his cloak and I went to speak with Phaere, she demanded that I sleep with her, but my Elven nature couldn't do it (A "Good" character of Elven and Ranger decent would not sleep with a Drow willingly) so I refused her bed.  She stormed at me, I GWW'd her and killed her.  The Alarm was sounded amongst Ust Nathad, every drow in the city now wants my head.  A VERY!! risky idea for a solo no reload, but nothing that my buffs can't handle.  I wasted every drow that got near me (honestly, besides MR, drow are extremely easy).  Killing the handmaiden of Lolth got me a LvL Cleric 21/ Ranger 17 (GWW).  I grabbed the eggs, casted Globe of Blades and Sanctuary, then simply walked out the door.  Returned the eggs got me another LvL Cleric 21/ Ranger 18 (Hardness), and made it to the ruins beneath the surface, I slayed the drow in my way and saw the sun once more.  Elhan gave me some water and stakes that would come in handy on my task and I set off for the Athkatla once more. 

I met up with Drizzt the Drow and fellow Ranger Buddy.  I told my ranger buddy about the threat of the vampires in Athkatla and he agreed to assist (hope this doesn't go against the "solo" part of the challenge).  I headed to docks to get my strength hammer, and went to the promenade for the simmy helm, I recharged my RoR and purchased a second one ( just incase for ToB or something).  At the graveyard I ventured, and into the crypts I went.  Inside the crypt I didn't even lift a finger, the vampires were all exploded at the sight of my holy symbol (turn undead) Bodhi on the other hand was needed only one GWW to send her to the grave where I plunged a stake in her, 91000 XP deff got me a LvL Cleric 22/ Ranger 18. I handed over the Lantern to Elhan, and ascended into the Elven city.

With all my buffs in place, I sought out the pieces that would conjure the Elven God (psst, also my god as a Half Elf Cleric/ Ranger, it would only make sense to be a cleric of the God of Nature, seeing how i'm a ranger as well lol).  Adam Golems were taken down by GWW's.  I did the puzzle box for the talisman, but only after receiving 80 acid damage lol.  Killing another Adam Golem got me to LvL Cleric 22/ Ranger 19 (GWW).  Went upstairs to grab the wardstone.  Raamilet was killed by his own Pit Fiend while I was finishing off the Naabrasu.  Priestess Denin was save by the three Rakshasas, and I went to go get the harp, then faced the dragon.  I conjured up a Deva, Aerial servent, and a fire elemental as fodder.  He casted his entangle on my summons and I waited till the spell expired and charged in to trade blows.  Trading blows we did, I used 2 charges of the RoR but he fell at last, hit LvL Cleric 23/ Ranger 19 (GWW).  I witnessed the death of the balor and elf, and grabbed the blade.  Went down to the southwest to pick up the horn, and with all items in my hand, I went into the temple (fully beyond fully buffed, typical buffs + : PfElec, PfFire, DUHM, defense harmony, hardiness X3, physical mirror).  Initiated combat with an Insect Plague centered on Suneer, which disabled all his spell castings except his contingencies.  GWW on everyone, then put the items on the altar and initiated the next sequence. 

I'm done playing for now, I will continue this run later tonight or tomorrow.

Norros Woodsoul - Chaotic Good Half Elf Cleric 23/ Ranger 19 - Kills 1164 - HP: 155

HLA's : WW 1, GWW 9, Hardness 4, Globe of Blades, Summon Deva

Main Hand option 1 : FoA ... Option 2 : IMoD ... Off Hand Crom hammer

Neck : Amulet of Power, Torso : Full Plate, Feet : Speed boots, Ring 1 : +2, Ring 2 : Gaxx, Belt : Inertial Belt, Helm : Balduran, Gloves : Xarnous Second Arm

Matuse73

Matuse73
  • Members
  • 42 posts

The wizard slayer class

Ah. Herp derp. Totally overlooked that part. I guess they decided that as the hero of Suldenessalar that you deserve some bling. Or they just forgot. It's kind of an overlooked item since it's given to you behind the scenes.

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Norros Woodsoul - Chaotic Good Half Elf Cleric/ Ranger - Final SoA update

I entered the temple and ended the parasites.  I casted all my preemptive buffs and got cutscened to Jon.  He casted all of his buffs along with two misleads.  I began by casting Insect Plague x3 on one of the illusions.  The plague went on to Jon, and he was no longer able to cast spells.  This battle had been won before it really got to begin.  Irenicus crumbles before my feet, my soul beckons to Hell, and I follow it. (I really thought this fight would be more epic, but it really was just that, Insect Plague can be rightfully devastating to any spellcaster)

Inside hell I did not fight the Gold Dragon.  I refused the cloak and casted remove fear and went in the lower tunnel to get the tear.  I went through the self inflicting tunnel and got the tear, I did not let the innocent peasant take the fall.  I handed over the Blackrazor to the genie and granted his freedom.  I told Sarevok that I would not give into the taint, but he attacked me anyway.  I did all the "good" stuff and was rewarded thusly, yay more spells.  Now I face Irenicus in the final battle.

I ran to the bottom of the room and the demons followed, I killed them in two GWW's, 7 GWW remain.  With all buffs in place, I summoned a Deva, ready to face Irenicus.  Tarter sauce, I forgot to memorize true sight :/ , I was going to Insect plague him again, but I cannot for a few rounds.  I walked away and let the Deva attack the invisible Irenicus, I sent in a couple dispel magics but they didn't dispel anything.  Luck is on my side, Irenicus casted mislead and maze on my Deva!! I was worried about that maze, but he wasted it on a summon lol.  (as I was paused I finished my incantation of dispel magic and it disabled the mislead, now I can't do Insect Plague).  My Deva was unaffected by the maze, I had always thought they can be imprisoned and mazed.  There is nothing I can do, I've sent in my only fire elemental summon and i'm just waiting for the illusion to wear off.  The deva is ripping him a new one though, he's down to "near death".  Hmmm Deva died. I did what any respected Cleric Ranger would do, cast Aerial Summon then insect plague on the servant then hope it spreads to Irenicus.  Ahh he's magic resistant.  When will his illusion end, its been 5 rounds already lol.  Finally!!! he's semi visible, x2 GWW and Irenicus dies.

Norros Woodsoul now enters ToB. 

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

I really thought this fight would be more epic, but it really was just that, Insect Plague can be rightfully devastating to any spellcaster

Try SCS with Fire Shields blocking them... ;)

Anyway, congrats with finishing Jon! All the best in ToB!

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@Serg - that would make sense for bees an spiders to be burnt up by flame shield.  The only one thing I'm worried about is Draconis.  If I can do him like I did Firkaag ( insect plague with magic resistance casted) I can disrupt his arsenal of spells.  Thank you by the way.

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

@polytope. No, I do not have Ascension installed (I'm not mad! :P)

@Grond0, the fighter classes seem to serve you well. Augur progress is stellar and your leadership enviable. 

@corey, still going strong, eh? I wish at the end only CoreTalos would survive. He and Melissan could have epic stand off.

@Aasim, Grim was a brave warrior. I hope the next ones will surpass him. 

@Mr_Goldbeard, seems your R/C is doing just fine. Good work on the Firkraag and good luck in ToB.

@Jianson, never in my playthroughs have I seen this dryad on the roof of DeArnise keep. What is this sorcery?

Thorn, vicious Berserker -> Mage. Update No.5 and Finale

It is going to be a blind ToB playthrough, so I expect to die in the most unexpected fashion. Thorn started a new day by preparing to fight Illasera. Standard set of buffs was applied. Unfortunately Thorn didn't remember True Sight, so he was forced to use Comet and Dragon's Breath to kill her. 

First Pocket challenge consisted of waves of swarms of enemies. First wave - commoners, no problem there. Second wave - elven warriors, no problem there, third wave - knights of order, Thorn summoned Planetar to help out. Fourth wave - Ellesime, Aran Linvail, Duke Eltan - Ellesime resisted Power Word Stun but Planetar made short work of her. Duke Eltan bowed to the strength of Blackrazor, FoA and Planetar. Aran protected himself by Improved Mantle amogt other things. After IM ended he buffed with Fire and Blue shield and II, so I decided to dispell him. One Remove Magic shattered all his combat buffs and he was prone to melee. Fourth was the last wave.

Thorn found the missing spellbook in Saradush, upgraded Cloak of Protection + 2 (now it can cast Improved Haste and Improved Invisibility, duration 23 rounds each; amazing!). Thorn then explored the house of Kiser and freed his prisoners. After that he dived into cellars, got through to Gromnir's Dungeon, found Scabbard, upgraded Foebane and prepared himself for the fight with Gromnir. The fight began badly, because elemental damage (though it was 0 damage) interrupted Thorn's Summon Planetar and then after succesfully casting Improved Alacracity enemy mages cast Time Stop twice in succesion, so IA was effectively wasted. Tough luck, eh? Well, Thorn managed to melee everyone except Gromnir and the mage, when his buffs were finally dispelled by the enemy mage. The second wave of Thorn's bodily enhancers hidden in Sequencers and Contingencies (set to trigger at 50% health - I just let enemies hit Thorn for a while) proved to be unbeatable and Gromnir was Foebaned to death and a round after the remaining enemy mage. Loots! They included Vhailors Helm (yey!), Grandmaster's Armor and the usual crap. I exited the palace and after running around for 15 minutes I realized something was off. Apparently Mellisan is supposed to show up, but she didn't. I had no save before the fight, so I decided to spawn her with console and move on. 

After clearing North Mountains, I decided to finally do Watcher's Keep. In front of me were laid down levels 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.  Thorn defeated Chromatic Demon (in SCS immune to normal damage, magic, magical damage, susceptible only to opposing elemental damage) juggling FoA, Crom, Ice Star + 4, Stonefire. 

On the 3rd floor Thorn implemented rest in the plane pocket after every room, so I didn't have any problems. Things got a little bit hectic though in the elemental Glabrezus room. Can you see anything? Thorn met a gambling knight Aegerath and wagered some of his experiene for a sword. He won! He drew Strife and opponent drew Triumph. He wagered again to win a way out and Thorn drew Strength! It cursed him to 6 strength and then Aesgerath lost and attacked poor Thorn. Vicious character didn't give though - he drank potion of cloud giant strength and joined the battle! Mages cast two Time Stops but didn't do anything but buff themselves. The melee enemies were far more dangerous. They got Thorn to 30 hp and he quickly drunk potion of invisibility but fell cats kept attacking him. Thorn withdrew from the fight, cats wen tafter him. Fortunately cats attacks count as +1 or lower so Thorn was safe. He Summoned Deva and cast PfMW but the situation was dire as the rest of the enemy party came closer. They started peppering Thorn with Debuffs and they were succesful at dispelling Thorn's Stoneskins and IH. Planetar was fighting wth Aesgeroth himself, while Thorn fought the other ones. I was forced to use RoR at some point, but finally we defeated the cambion. ****. This was the closest Thorn was to dying in the whole run. Thorn descended in to 4th level.

4th level. Planetar with Globe of Blades on made short of Giths gang bang. I went to meet a demilich and found out the hard way he ignores Protection from Undead scrolls. I destroyed his Fallen Planetar, protected myselfa against maze and imprisonment while waiting out his protections and rebuffing what he debuffed. I got Spell Trigger (which I oddly didn't have in my spellbook) and Cloak of Mirroring from him, but I don't think I will use it. I've got enough magical protection. In the Illithds area there was nothing surprising except a Maze Trap. I had been running Enrage, but it must have expired just before I opened the container and thus ends the glorious story of Thorn, Berserker -> Mage. 

Such a shame, I really hoped to get Thorn to at leassst the last battle, but well... Maze traps happen :)

Edit: I installed Wizard Slayer Rebalancing (http://readme.spellh...readme_wsr.html) and am going to give the class a try. I haven't run pure fighter yet anyway, so it is high time I did it considering Grond0's exceptional succes with them. 

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
Oh, such a shame Thorn's run ended like this.

Once again, I think this is a stupid game engine limitation. You should only have needed to wait a couple of rounds, and he should have come back from the maze. It's the same deal with charms for solo characters. They should not end the game, I think. If it was a Domination-type charm, then the opponents would still need to be able to kill the character before the charm wears off, and if it was a regular charm, well, then (just like it is for us), we should get control of the character back after 1-2 hits or so.

@Jianson, never in my playthroughs have I seen this dryad on the roof of DeArnise keep. What is this sorcery?

It's the 'New Fate For the Dryad's Acorns' component of SimDing0's Quest Pack

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@Alaestr - maze :( ... sorry to hear that, you got so far to,  better luck next run Alaestr

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@ Jianson - ehh I can understand being charmed by an enemy, they have complete control over you, they could just tell you to choke on your own sword.  A charm trap spell with no one around doesnt make since why it ends the game though, and I do agree about the maze.  Maze only takes a few rounds. Its not like you died in the labyrinth.  Imprisonment I can understand also, I mean you're gone.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Aleastr - sorry to hear Thorn get mazed - many a solo character has joined you in that fate in the history of no-reloads (including some of my characters) Also you wrote:

@corey, still going strong, eh? I wish at the end only CoreTalos would survive. He and Melissan could have epic stand off.

Well, I don't think it would be very epic. With my 1 APR and no stoneskins/ironskins/hardiness, CoreTalos would die in short order. His summons could help some, but I doubt very much it would be enough. Don't forget Melissan would periodically heal herself and refresh her summons, and that's just too much for CoreTalos.

@Jianson - To make the challenge as clear as possible, if you get end of game screen, that's it for the reload (can you imagine trying to write the exception in the rules?). BG is intended for party play (which in that case maze doesn't end the game), but we no-reloaders do the solo for the extra challenge. Dealing with maze spells/traps IS part of that solo challenge! You can always do a duo if you don't want to deal with that challenge...Also BG was definitely designed with reloads in mind, which a maze trap isn't the end of the world in that case, but happens to be a significant challenge for us no-reloaders.

Jianson

Jianson
  • Members
  • 377 posts
I am not suggesting any change of the rules for the challenges in this thread. I just think the game could have been designed better. I think there is no reason why there should be a different outcome if the main character is mazed or charmed when alone compared to when having a companion (who may or may not be on the opposite end of the map, in panic). I think the game should have kept running until the main character is dead (or Imprisoned when solo - nobody around to free them).

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Hey, at least the game isnt over if you are in fear, confused, or stunned.  Holy cow I'd never make it lol.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

@Jianson.  Sorry to hear you've fallen for one of my favourite ways to die.  I've never even completed level 2 in Watcher's Keep (at least solo), so if I ever make it down to level 4 I expect I'll find that trap the hard way!

Augur - dwarven wizard slayer (update 11)

In Amkethran Augur had a few encounters with mercenaries and mercenary monks.  That allowed him to do some shopping - buying K'logarath, Rod of Reversal (surprised to see this is usable, but the description mentions it's particularly prized by wizard slayers so this one is clearly intended to be available), Enkidu's Full Plate and Boots of the Gargoyle.  He also killed Vongoethe with the Runehammer.

At Sendai's enclave the simmy and Augur teamed up as usual to put paid to the woodcutter.  Using Blackrazor on the last of the drow got Augur up to strength 25, but that proved inadequate to break open the chest with the extra rune in.

Inside the enclave proper Augur used no abilities on his way to Thelyn'ss - she went down under a single GWW.  I was a bit wary about what special attacks / save penalties Lashar'ra might have on attacks so used K'logorath on her - that took a while running round as she healed herself twice.

Various spiders, drow and umber hulks were no problem as Augur tracked down Odamaron's lair.  He retreated and waited out a PFMW before attacking with GWW.  The 4th attack destroyed the demi-lich before it could buff again.

Having had a pretty easy time of it to here I underestimated Ogremoch and approached with no buffs or summons - he hit twice in quick succession for over 100 HPs and was also pretty quick at chasing.  However, Augur managed to slam a door on him and waited for Blackrazor to regenerate his HPs.  Then, with Roranach's Horn, hardiness, stoneskins, Defender of Easthaven and GWWs he made the elemental pay.  Diaytha and her guardians were treated to the simmy.

Moving on, Captain Egeissag couldn't catch up with Augur and was downed by K'logarath.  The axe was largely used on Mythykyl and his illithid as well, though in the combined spaces a few GWWs were used.

After another rest, it was time to confront Sendai.  His simmy helped kill the first 3 statues, but then died (largely as a result of banging against fire shields as I foolishly hadn't given him a ranged weapon option).  The thief then got a nasty backstab in, but Augur GWW'd her and then killed the drow that appeared while staying out of sight of the next statue - allowing him to regenerate to full health.  The remaining enemies were mainly killed running round using K'logarath, though he did get the reflection shield out for the first time in a long while against the archer and GWW'd the assassin to prevent his poisoned backstabs.

When the real Sendai finally appeared Augur still had 10 GWWs and a WW and, while the invisible stalkers whacked at him in vain, he overwhelmed her defenses with 3 and a bit GWWs of axes.

Back in the Pocket Plane Augur and his simmy smacked down the Slayer - it landed just a couple of blows in return.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

CoreTalos the priest of Talos and his rag-tag band - Update 18

Traveling with: Keldorn, Sarevok, Haer'Dalis, Valygar, Nalia

Permanently dead: Misty (kensai), Korgan, Imoen, Paja (berserker), Hanna (sorcerer)

Well CoreTalos battled Abazigal - it was a long battle, ton of heals had to be used, Both Haer'Dalis and Valygar got killed though not chunked. After a wing buffet I lost track of Hanna's position and she was chunked! Then CoreTalos himself was the target of Abazigal (dragon form) - CoreTalos ran to entrance but then got pinned, he could not escape and in fact could barely move anywhere - not looking good. CoreTalos then did the powerful level 7 elemental summoning but before it generated Abazigal finally fell - whew!

CoreTalosdefeatsAbizigalbutHannagetschun

We'll deal with the pocket challenges, then battle at Amkethran next. I'm deeply concerned about the lack of HLAs of the party has, but there's nothing to do but press forward. Incidentally, this battle also means ALL members of the original random party are dead, except for CoreTalos himself of course.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
@Corey.  Glad to see that CoreTalos is hanging on in there.  Augur might bump into him in Mel's waiting room :P.

Augur - dwarven wizard slayer (update 12)

I made a bit of a pig's ear of the attack on Draconis.  However, Augur survived and has completed Abazigal's Lair.

For Draconis I decided Augur's tactics should be to get his retaliation in first.  He therefore summoned a simmy immediately and buffed with hardiness and MI as well as a green scroll of acid protection.  That was clearly a mistake as the availability of the simmy didn't kill the mage any quicker than it would have gone down anyway and the simmy disappeared when the dragon arrived (without any message about unsummoning, so I wonder whether the dragon transformation is actually the result of creating a new area).  There was also something odd going on earlier as the mirrors from both Augur and his simmy mysteriously disappeared (at different times, neither of which appeared to be the result of any action from Draconis).

Augur tried a couple of GWWs with the FoA, but couldn't slow Draconis - I have a vague recollection that the dragon is immune to slow.  In the meantime he'd been hit a number of times himself and reduced to below 100 HPs.  He tried to find somewhere he couldn't be meleed, but had been hit again in the process and then saw an acid breath coming (I thought I'd taken a screenshot of this, but apparently not - Augur was behind a pillar out of melee range, but can see the acid coming in mid-air).  That made it very tempting to take a potion of healing for the first time as I thought the breath could be fatal (his green scroll had been dispelled by then, so he only had 60% acid resistance).  However, I resisted that temptation and I presume the breath missed as Augur in the event took no damage (and there was no message about magic resistance).

Draconis then decided to wait like a cat outside a mousehole, which suited Augur fine while Blackrazor regenerated him.  On emerging, he was buffeted away, although stoneskin from the gargoyle boots stopped any damage.  He used his WW to create a bit of space and then fired a first dispelling arrow of the game at Draconis.  As the FoA hadn't seemed effective he switched to Blackrazor and was immediately rewarded by seeing Draconis lose 4 levels - and then another 4, leaving the dragon at badly wounded by the end of that WW.  It responded by going invisible and then healed and stoneskinned before attacking again.  Augur successfully ran away from a wing buffet and then saw a spell failure message.  However, a remove magic came after him anyway (I presume this is an innate ability for Draconis, rather than a cast spell).  He quickly applied another green scroll, although he outran the attempted breath attack anyway.  After running a bit further he applied GWW and shot another dispelling arrow before attacking again with Blackrazor - but this time Draconis went invisible before he could hit him at all.  The dragon attacked again very quickly though and a third dispelling arrow opened it up to damage again.  It was also clearly still suffering from the previous level drains as it was struggling to hit Augur at all and a further GWW (down to 8 left at that point) proved decisive.

After resting, Augur made his way through Abazigal's lair.  That was easy enough, though I hadn't appreciated that the Eagle Eye attacks were not coded as magic - so had to rest a couple of times to repair damage.  Augur also picked up the Bronze Pantalettes there.

In Abazigal's cave Augur used his throwing axe to kill the frost salamanders before working on Abazigal himself - throwing up an air elemental during that for later.  That took quite a while - partly as a result of Augur carelessly getting hit and having to run round regenerating - and the air elemental had disappeared by the time Abazigal eventually let his inner dragon out to play.

While Abazigal was buffing Augur produced his simmy, which occupied Abazigal while Augur fired in a dispelling arrow.  A few blows with the Answerer made hitting almost automatic and the pair switched to FoA.  Like Draconis, Abazigal didn't want to be slowed, but with 2 lots of GWW attacking him it only took about a round to finish him off anyway.

After dragons the 4th Pocket Plane Challenge was pleasantly easy.  Augur didn't bother with the simmy there, but just put on the Gargoyle Boots to protect against  backstabs, mirrored and then GWW'd the enemies.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Augur - dwarven wizard slayer (update 13)

Augur is now awaiting his final challenge (which will have to wait until after work) ...

In Amkethran he traded in his pantaloons (though he's not intended to use the resulting equipment) and spoke to Saemon to get into the compound.  He relied on his MR there in fighting the mages rather than using up any GWWs.  Moving inside, he summoned his simmy before talking to Balthazar.

A pair of GWWs with the FoA on Balthazar once more failed to slow an opponent and he recovered from near death by stunning Augur and then healing himself.  When Augur came to he rejoined his simmy (who had apparently been blasted away by a solar stance) and renewed the assault with Blackrazor - this time effectively.

For the final Pocket Plane Challenge Augur once again summoned his simmy immediately.  Rather than try and micro-manage 2 running characters though he let the simmy kill itself in frontal attack before settling in to running round (with reflection shield equipped) while throwing in GWWs with K'logarath.  He got hit a few times in the process of doing that, but it allowed a pretty quick victory by my normal standards in that battle.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

CoreTalos the priest of Talos and his rag-tag band - Update 19

Traveling with: Keldorn, Sarevok, Haer'Dalis, Valygar, Nalia

Permanently dead: Misty (kensai), Korgan, Imoen, Paja (berserker), Hanna (sorcerer)

CoreTalos, for once, did NOT try to get into Balsathar's fortress right away. Instead, we fought everything we could, as everyone except CoreTalos badly needs the experience. This was successful in getting a few levels for the team. I always find Balthsazar easy if you have a cleric - 6x CC, 6x free action and 6x fire resistance negates his most dangerous stuff, and has always resulted in victory as long as I keep the main character safe.

For pocket plane challenges #3 and #4, I used the same buffs and summons - one my key summon is bears which block the slayers movement, making it easy for party and summons to take down the slayer before it can take down CoreTalos. We hasted, and true sight x3 for pocket plane challenge #4, and that went smoothly as well.

Only Ravager and Melissan left - getting late, so will leave for tomorrow.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

@Jianson, it's hard to imagine why else the designers would put maze traps in maps if not to defeat solo characters, since they have no other effect on gameplay usually (unless you manage to trip one during a battle... in the fire giant temple, maybe?). Alaestr certainly isn't the first to get caught by that one in WK level 4, I think it's a close contender with the Rift Device for unexpected deaths.

Btw. Sorry to hear about CoreTalos losing both his main arcane casters in ToB, so much invested in a character at that point...

Augur - dwarven wizard slayer (update 13)

A pair of GWWs with the FoA on Balthazar once more failed to slow an opponent and he recovered from near death by stunning Augur and then healing himself.  When Augur came to he rejoined his simmy (who had apparently been blasted away by a solar stance) and renewed the assault with Blackrazor - this time effectively.

I'd guess that's monk immunity foiling your FoA, still, it's nice to know that Blackrazor level drain works on Draconis as he's otherwise tough for a solo fighter, Short Sword of mask would work too i guess, although far less effective. Finish strong.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

For Maze and Charm being game-enders - the game engine apperantly needs "green-circled" PCs in order to keep going. If there are none, game ends. I tend to believe this feature was added later in the development process; if this wasn't so the game would hang on occassion (scripted dialogue, scripts and similar would never be able to fire); making the game far more prone to leave the user to Ctrl+Alt+F4 as the only way to continue the game. 

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@ CoreTalos - in amkathrin to the southwest at where mercenaries come and attack you first time, if you just stand there they will keep coming.  Good finishing xp.  I know you already did sendai but in her slaves quarters if you hangout at the entrance dwarves will keep spawning and you get 10k per kill.  It adds up.  Sorry about hanna, at least you got the dragon down

@Grond0 - excellent progress, Augur the Lord of Murder pretty soon.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

CoreTalos the Half-Orc Priest of Talos and his rag-tag band - FINAL Update!

Traveling with Sarevok, Keldorn, Haer'Dalis, Valygar, Nalia

Permanently killed: Misty (kensai), Korgan, Imoen, Paja (berserker), Hanna (sorcerer)

CoreTalos dealt with the Ravager problem very nicely - was pretty smooth actually, GWW and breaches winning the day.

The first two Melissan battles and first two pool battles went very smoothly. But we had a heck of a time with the 3rd Melissan battle. We got her near death but couldn't finish her off due to no more breaches and Keldorn was dead by this point. In short order, Valygar died next.

CoreTaloslookinginbadshapevsMelissan3rdb

Then, Haer'Dalis and Sarevok were chunked. Nalia died next, so it was just CoreTalos and Nalia vs. Melissan and about 10 of her pets - it was hopeless but CoreTalos tried but the pets were too much for him, and Melissan was victorious.

MelissandefeatsCoreTalos_zpsf7ad92e8.png

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@ Corey - condolences go out to you man.  What will you try next?

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Sad news, Corey, but impressive effort nonetheless. So many chunked characters in one single run is an achievement by itself... And as you might remember, my favorite character - Cleric/Illusionist - died nearly at the same manner: alone, with all his crew dead (not chunked though) vs Mel and horde of her pets. This might sound strange, but I found Ascension final battle a bit easier than vanilla (with all those vicious Slayer Shadows...). At least it's more *manageable*.