Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Aasim, that was brutal. Very sorry about Dust biting the... well you know.
I'm also playing SCS, with mediocre metaknowledge of BG2, but I'll remember to not make the Guarded Compound a priority.
Good luck with either the halfling or the pally.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Tough luck Aasim.  Chaos not allowing a saving throw sounds a bit OP to me - even the vanilla version with save at -4 is pretty vicious. 

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Tough luck Aasim.  Chaos not allowing a saving throw sounds a bit OP to me - even the vanilla version with save at -4 is pretty vicious. 

Well, it does allow a save, but not when it's cast by a level 18 wizard against a level 11 fighter. :P

Very sorry about Dust biting the... well you know.

Nomen est omen, I guess. It was a fairly close battle, even if screenshots don't say that. If Dust had time to drink one more big healing potion, Sion would be history - he already wasted all his big spells. Next time, next time.... It was a badly tought-out battle. Rushing in and triggering the trap (I was hoping I can run through it, but it didn't work) was a bad mistake. 

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

It looks like Kensai->Thieves are the fad nowadays, so I decided to try one. Originally I was a little bit afraid of dualling characters in solo SCS, but my recent succes of dualing Thorn (Berserker->Mage, dual at 9th) has broken my fear and I am feeling far more daring today. This character was actually done in the cooperation with my girlfriend (in the similar manner Malvae had come to life) - she chooses everything except abilities and proficiencies. I was surprised she said Kensai, but I told her what the hell, we'll dual at 9th and everyone is happy. So without further ado, please welcome!

Amaru Sakura, reckless Kensai->Thief. Update No.1

Amaru left the cage and at first beelined to the exit. But with a very generous RNG, I decided to prolong the tour. She dual wields Excellent Long Sword and Axe. She was very lucky to kill Cambion in just one round. She managed to clear 1st level and proceeded to the 2nd. Mephits room was done with my tries trick (I break the solo rule in the initial dungeon and tag Imoen along) - II on main hero, 2x Summons, II on Imoen. Summons  lure Mephits into the portal room and then Imoen shuts down the door behind. I booted Imoen after disarming the last trap and continue solo. Amaru clered the second floor (without Ulvaryl), but was still short on experience to 9th and I desperately wanted it for her. So I decided to rest and summon duergars that way! She defeated 4 or 5 waves of dwarves and set out to deal with the vampire. Potion of Fire Breath was used after some melee. But not on Ulvaryl directly but on the mage. That way,  not only the vampire was covered but a very dangerous mage too. Bing! (level 9 and dual to Thief).  She looked like that.

Upon leaving the Dungeon, Amaru (Kensai 9 -> Thief 6) tried herself in Circus. Answering the Genie advanced my character to level 7 Thief. She backstabbed orces and released Aerie (thief 8th). The big pseudo ogre was killed with initial backstab and the following swings (it was too close of a battle for my taste). Amaru left the circus, sold her stuff and bougth Ring of Air Control, Oils of Speed, Potions of Master Thievery and Fire Breath Potions. After chatting with Gaelan, Amaru pounded to death two street thugs with backstabs (9th level) and Oil of Speed. I tried to fight a thug in Copper Coronet and had to use two potions of fire breath, because I underrated his strength. She solved skinner murders and got to level 10 unlocking Kensai levels, then she gave bear back to the ghost and then travelled to Coronet Copper, but was interrupted by Suna Seni. She immediately used RoAC and gulped Oil of Speed as well as Potion of Invulnerability. Then quickly killed priest and mage and gulped Potion of Invisibility found on one of the bodies. Kai backstab took care of Suna and Amaru backstabbed the others as well (level 11). 

Liberating Copper Coronet: known tactic of hit and run was used and kai backstab on  Beatmaster proved lethal. Bernard didn't appreciate Amaru trying to steal from him  (I bought Azuredge beforehand), so Bernard is locked from me unless I somehow manage to charm him, am I wrong on that one? She came back to Graveyard and did quests on the surface.

I ended my session there. 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Once you make a merchant hostile, you can no longer buy from them. Charming is of no help, as in BG 2 charmed creatures aren't allowed to talk. Stealing is risky business in no-reload, as you are finding...

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Grith'atzu - SoA 1st Update

I took that snapshot after exiting the dungeon.  Just to see if it works.  I'll update more of his exploits later on.  Yay I can take pictures now.  Thank you Grond0.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

@ Alaestr.  When you pickpocket there is always a chance of critical failure even when your thieving skill is very high.  As Corey says that makes pickpocketing risky in a no-reload, even when the prize is significant (as with Ribald).  However, there is no critical failure when stealing from merchants - if your skill is high enough there you can guarantee success.  Every merchant has their own individual rating that your skill needs to beat; Bernard has one of the highest ones in the game so, from memory, you need a skill of over 228 to guarantee success.

@ Mr_Goldbeard.  You're welcome.  I noticed you've saved the picture as a png format.  That's fine, but does take considerably more memory than jpg.  That will fill up your account quicker and, more importantly, will slow down the forum pages loading if you're posting a number of pictures at once (you may well be able to see that effect from some of the recent no-reload posts).  I'm not sure if the small difference in quality of pictures is worth that, but you can experiment and decide for yourself.

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Grith'atzu - 2nd SoA Update

I did the circus and freed Aerie which bought me up to LvL 9, sold all the loot afterwards.  I suppose I will go kill the Dwarf and Friends as I need something better in terms of gear, and nothing is better than Full Plate Mail.  I began the battle by drinking a potion of speed, as my plan is to shoot them and run (with poison applied).  I shot the beserker and got him twice before the dwarf walked around the corner, so I took the dwarf downstairs and outside into the promenade.  There I lured him to a guard used the guard as blocker fodder, and just hurled bolts at the guy.  I dawned his armor and went back inside and caught the beserker at the bottom of the stairs and just whacked him to bits.  Back upstairs the thief, imp, and mage waited for me, which I drew the mage downstairs and put the imp into fear with my Bhaal Horror.  The thief followed me downstairs where I used the guard in the northeastern part of the tavern as another blocker fodder, but that proved insufficient.  I tried my last Horror, but the thief made his save, and I pulled my sword and began to swing, he got scared and ran off.  Pooky died moments later.  This fight was a little more difficult than normal.  Being plain sloopy perhaps?

At the copper cornet, I took Nalia's quest and told her I would meet her there, and spoke with the Lethinan about killing Hendak, thusly ending the slave revolt.  In the back room I had a super close call with a slaver guard.  The guard casted held and got me down to 26 HP, but the spell wore off and so did their life.  I turned the quest in and received my reward, then ascended down into the sewers.  The hobgoblins and kobolds weren't difficult at all, and before long I finished the riddle and got the sword and went upstairs.  No real reason to go upstairs, just wanted XP and money.  I started combat with the crossbow and poison applied, I hit the Priest of Cyric, the captain, and the ranged guard to the northwest, then just hacked the guards around me after I casted Aura of Despair to soften them up some.  In the last room, the slaver wizards were short worked by my poison dipped bolts ceasing their spellcasting.  I left the compound without saving the children (I find it highly against my alignment and my class) and headed off to WK for the firetooth crossbow. 

At D'Arnise keep, I must say, humans are horrible at detecting false doors, it took an entire smoke break just to find the false door right at the beginning.  With the Firetooth +4 all the trolls are easily killed and there isn't much resistance here at the keep.  The Golems on the second floor proved to be a real pest, I had to use the one headed FoA to bring the clay golem down.  For the Iron Golem, I just had him get stuck in the door, while I shoot him with my crossbow.  I went downstairs and killed the first three trolls, say what you want, but I casted Sanctuary on myself to bypass the umber hulks.  I killed Torgal by luring him while under sanctuary down to the lower right side, poisoned him, then slashed away.  Picture.  Which got me to LvL 10.  I stuck around to finish off the Keep Quest, always choosing the "tyrannical" option. 

Grith'atzu - Blackguard - LvL 10 - Kills : 147 - HP : 115

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Kenthief the solo human level 9 kensai > level 14 thief - update 4

1.79 million experience, 139 HP

Kenthief has made tremendous progress since last update

* Mencar Pebblecrusher Gang - before engaging, Kenthief laid 6 snares both in Mencar's room and in the lobby as a backup. Kenthief did STR and haste buffs, summoned his 3 summons (genie, berserker, Kithix) and sent the summons in. Kenthief moved in to attack Brennan and Kithix tried to web brennan and the battle was on! It wasn't long before Brennan tried to run but the snares stopped him in his tracks. I played a little sloppily though, and forgot to do improved invisibility via RoAC and as a result Kenthief got confused! Uh, oh, is this the end? But no, Kenthief is a force even confused, getting good hits on Mencar, and the summons doing their job and absorbing spells. All summons dead, mages casting at Kenthief, with Kenthief 1/2 life...yes confusion wore off! Kenthief immediately does improved invisibility, runs and heals, then backstabs Mencar, run/hide/backstab and repeat - success! Whew...

* Kenthief really needs the haste boots to make the most of his build, so he buys a protection from magic from Ribald (his save vs. spells stink at this point). But then he realized he had to deal with Mekrath. So once in Mekrath's Lair Kenthief tried to backstab, but Mekrath had stoneskin running. So up goes improved invisibility, but Mekrath can still target! Uh, Oh, Kenthief has to save vs. spell (but does) and runs for his life and hides. He sends his summons one at a time to absorb the more dangerous spells from Mekrath. Then Kenthief backstabs/runs/hides and repeats and success! Little bit too close for comfort. Still need the planar gem, Kenthief sneaks past the large group of umber hulks, gets it and sneaks past again, not worth the resources needed to fight them.

* Planar Prison - a protection from magic scroll, fire giant potion and haste potion and potion of defense were used to clear the entire area. Lots of heal potions used, backstabs done, when possible, and was pretty smooth otherwise. The poor Warden was backstabbed dead before he had even finished off the Thralls. Besides the haste boots, I got an important item here, the Drinker - I knew I needed charm protection for the vampires, but couldn't use SoH or a helm of charm protection - with this, that problem is solved...

* Captain Dennis - my planar prison buffs were still running, so battled this group. Surprisingly easy, as Kenthief managed to hide by running back and forth hugging the walls, so most of the enemies were backstabbed into oblivion. The only item is the boomerang dagger - useful for a range weapon, not that I've done any ranging to speak of yet.

* Bridge District Warehouse hostile party - my planar prison buffs were still running, so took these guys out too. It wasn't even really necessary, as the mage was one-shotted via backstab, and running outside could hide and repeat.

* Kangaxx Quest - both elemental liches were killed via the same protection from undead scroll. Kangaxx via protection from magic, staff of Rhynn, and softened up by snares. I got a pretty amazing coup here - Kenthief managed to pickpocket Kangaxx before battle, so he is now protected by 2 Gaxx Rings and +1 cloak, putting his spell save to 2.

* Maevar Quests - most the quests are pretty simple - Rayic was  no problem, as the pro magic scroll used for Kangaxx was still running. Kenthief found the evidence on Maevar's treachery, and Kenthief reported to Bloodscalp. I ended the session here.

• Blackraven likes this

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Amaru Sakura, reckless Kensai 9 -> Thief 11. Update No.2

Amaru has completed the Harper quest which got her to level 12. She can now open any lock and detect any trap. Sanashar and Prebek were backstabbed to death, it took only one visit outside of the house. She also unlocked every location, bought useful equipment, killed Jan (never liked the guy, he looked at her with lust in his eyes and received a proper punishment), saved Viconia, stole the amulet of a High Priestess of Talos and gifted it to Maevarr, tested her lockpicking skill in his guild, then Amaru guessed the answer to the riddle in the Slums sewers. Then she headed to Trademeet.

My fierceful woman tried to backstab Taquee, but  she tripped and the nearby onlookers started to question female prowess in battle again. The following rounds silenced their original disapproval and soon people of Trademeet were free from Genie plague. Unfortunately due to Kensai limitations, she can't use Shield of Harmony yet. 

Travel to Umar Hills progressed without disturbance. There Amaru functioned as a parler between Madulf and the Mayor. She protected with Arbane Sword against Mimics hold, used Oil of Speed to dispose of Derreck and Valygar. Recognizing the fate of the Umar Hill's ranger bumped Amaru to level 13th Thief and got her x5 backstab multiplier. She also helped the Cowled Wizard and rescued him from the grave danger.

My derpy Kensai came back to Athkatla to sell loots and clear the Graveyard (I accumulated 7 Protection from Undead scrolls, so I can sacrifice one). She killed Crypt King with two backstabs (I fled from location when he cast Fear) and grabbed sweet Namarra from king's body. Amaru protected herself with Protection from Poison scroll and Free Action from Arbane to kill spiders, alas she used last charge of Staff of Striking bought in one of the temples to kill Pai'Na. The Pale Green Ioun Stone is very useful to Amaru - now she is protected against critical hits. The southern tunnels were cleared and all the traps disarmed for exp.

I ended my session there to prepare a dinner. Next goal is probably to outmanuevre Rayic and end Maevarr quest line. I am reluctant to pick a fight with trolls since I don't have a reliable source of elemental damage (Stonefire is locked because I antagonized Bernard). 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Aleastr - according to the Net, you can get a blade of flames from the Adventurer's Mart. You can use that to kill most trolls.

Kenthief the solo human level 9 Kensai > level 15 thief - Update 5

Kenthief decided to take care of some loose ends. First, was Maevar and his guild. Kenthief did a lot of backstabs on the thieves, he showed them how a real thief gets things done. For Maevar, Kentheif threw all this summons at him, (the enemy softened up by some pre-laid snares) then Kenthief would backstab, run away and hide, and repeat - this was a complete success.

Next up, looting the Harper's Hold (Prebek was slain by a backstab earlier) - no problems with this, but poor Xzar got assassinated by what has to be the most inefficient assassination method possible.

Kenthief will probably take care of Tarnor's gang next, after he buys an invulnerability potion from Roger.

Uh, actually he's in Umar Hills, so he will take care of the infestation at the Umar Hills Temple area before that. I would like to use a protection from undead scroll, but you get a bug with the dead priestess, that she doesn't give you the wardstone - there's also the bug that the enemies that appear when you get the sunstone also aren't tagged undead - so Kenthief will defeat those enemies, sneak to the dead priestess and give her body back, then go back to entrance and use the protection from undead scroll on the remaining enemies.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

@Aleastr - according to the Net, you can get a blade of flames from the Adventurer's Mart. You can use that to kill most trolls.

Speaking of Net you mean this? They are wrong... -  Sword of Flame +1 is selling by Bernard in Copper Coronet and Alaestr is already out of that source. He could use a Heavy Crossbow of Searing (Damage +3 (Missile) +2 Fire) from Ribald though (ouch... Amaru is Kensai/Thief so nay, she can't).

edit:

And I'm wrong - Ribald indeed has another Sword of Flame (cost a bit more than one from Bernard though). Shame on me... :blush:

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Speaking of Net you mean this? They are wrong... -  Sword of Flame +1 is selling by Bernard in Copper Coronet and Alaestr is already out of that source. He could use a Heavy Crossbow of Searing (Damage +3 (Missile) +2 Fire) from Ribald though (ouch... Amaru is Kensai/Thief so nay, she can't).

edit:

And I'm wrong - Ribald indeed has another Sword of Flame (cost a bit more than one from Bernard though). Shame on me... :blush:

The blackblood club from merchant that opens up when genie problem solved kills trolls too, at least it does in vanilla.

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Edit: I already knew about alternatives to Stonefire, but thank you anyway. No-reload counseling - best counseling I got on the internets.

Amaru Sakura, reckless Kensai 9 -> Thief 13. Update No.3

First thing after I nommed a dinner, I steered Amaru to resolve the tension between Fallen and Sacred Paladins. Giving back the chalice advanced Amaru to 14th level of Thief. Then Amaru felt like dancing down and up stairs, so she headed to kill Rayic Gethras. First of all she summoned Efreeti to attract Rayic's attention and then she ran up and down the stairs hidden in shadows to lure AoE spells. He finally exhausted his spellbook of those, Amaru used RoAC and began an assault. Rayic tried to cast Horror twice, but Amaru dodged it. It didn't took long to convince Rayic to rest his case. My pretty face Kensar completed the rest of the quest-line. She felt compelled to finish the job by finishing off Maevarr. The rest of the guys are threatening - they do backstab hard, but Amaru cast Mirror Images from Ilbratha for safety. Reporting the deed to Renal got Amaru to level 15. It was high time Amaru had made the slaver scums repent for their sins, so she travelled to slums. Preparations included Oil of Speed, RoAC. Amaru implemented good old backstab-run-hide tactic, silenced the mages with Namarra and used the Efreeti to kill trolls. Being done with easy quests in Athkatla I decided to focus Amaru on killing her some trolls! I was still on the look-out for the elemental damage. Amaru has no proficiency in Clubs so Blackblood was out. I had to settle for Sword of Flame. I improved the Horn of Valhalla while being in Waukeen Promenade. Before arrival in Druid Grove Amaru stopped by to buy Ras, Belt of Inertial Barrier and Cloak of Displacement.

I tried to kill Trolls in Druid Grove, but gave up on that idea. Low AC, quickly drained Strength made the attempt fail. I switched Amaru to struggle in DeArnise Keep. Fortunately fragile Kensai didn't encounter any Spirit Trolls on the 1st level. Amaru killed Yuanti Mage with a lethal backstab. I got stuck on the Spirit Troll on the 2nd level, so I let Amaru lower the gates and decided to but Blackblood and try again. Amaru fared better with Blackblood. Glaicus was killed by a backstab. My muse collected all three heads of FoA (SCS lets you do it with no need of killing Torgal - the third head is on Glaicus), left Adamantine Golem alone (I had no +4 weapon and no ranged), forged FoA (16th thief). I knew at that moment Amaru is not nearly strong enough to kill Torgal, so I just left and ventured to Druid Grove again. With a hefty amount of elemental damage I felt much better about tackling trolls. I also did a little trip to the town to refill Potion of Defense (main source of AC for Amaru).

Druid Grove was cleared, I left the Troll Mound for the end though. Dalak and co. got killed with backstabs. Clearing Troll Mound advanced Amaru to level 17. The old lady selling potions deserved Amaru's mercy for her amazing assortment of potions. My beatiful character completed the quest in Trademeet and saved the world from Rejiek Hidesman. 

Coming back to Athkatla I tied up some loose ends - Mencar's party was destroyed with Potion od Defense, Oil od Speed, RoAC and many backstabs. I prioritized killing mages first. The same tactic was used on Riatavin Mercenaries' party. Amaru dealt with initial Windspear Hills fight with Oil of Speed and many backstabs. Returning acorns to the headmistress dryad got Amaru to level 18. I ended my session after promising Garren to save his daughter. 

The amount of riveting back and forth with no-ranged, no-armor character in my run peaks at sky high. I am sorry if it is a tad confusing, but that is manner I played this session. I advanced in one location as far as I felt safe and changed the course of action. Rinse and repeat.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Aleastr - I highly recommend the shield amulet you get in dungeon level of D'Arnise Keep. It can hold 50 charges and doesn't cost much to recharge. It's the best renewable AC source for a Kensai, I think. I use it all the time on Kenthief. Use potions of defense on the harder places, like Planar Prison and D'Arnise Keep.

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

@corey - I forgot about that one, thank you for reminding me! 

• corey_russell likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Kenthief the solo level 9 kensai > level 20 thief - Update 6 - Umar HIills and Tarnor's Gang

Umar Hills was vary smooth. Kenthief first cleared the spawns by the sunstone, then brought the priestess body to her, then finally used pro undead scroll to clear out the entire area. The usual two large undead spawns did NOT appear - perhaps because I was stealthed? This made is extremely easy...

I ignored the shadow dragon for now...not really wanting to test it until I have level drain immunity (which I will at 3 million experience). I did what buffs that made sense and charged the Shade Lord, stealthed - apparently backstabbing interrupted his scripts and he died without much fight at all, though the scroll was still active, so that really does explain that. The Mayor of Immesvale was happy to see the problem resolved.

Kenthief felt confident enough to take on Tarnor's gang. Kenthief's only buffs were shield amulet and invulnerability potion, with important equipment being cloak of non-detection and haste boots. I tried to backstab Gaius dead, but forgot to hit him from the back, so that didn't work...so Kenthief ran and got hit with a spell but saved. Lots of kobolds and some jellies re-spawned, but Kenthief ignored them and concentrated on Tarnor's gang. The first to die was Zorl.

KenthiefbackstabsZorldeadfirst_zpsaff205

Kenthief ran around and hid again (his hiding is excellent - oops forgot used potion of genius to help his hiding ability). Kenthief did get hit by a Finger of Death, not sure if -2 spell save was certain or lucky save or not. Next to die was Gallchobhair by a backstab.

Gallchobhairis2ndtodie_zps155afa69.png

Poor Tarnor the Hatchetman was then obliterated by a massive 184 point damage backstab, the biggest of the fight.

Tarnoris3rdtodietaking184pointbackstaban

Rengaard was nearby, so a quick hide behind a wall and a basic backstab finished him off.

Rengaarddies4thtoatame72pointbackstab_zp

Draug Fea also fell to a rather tame backstab.

DraugFeadies5thtobasic87pointbackstab_zp

There was no way to backstab Gaius dead, so instead decided to use the sword of flame +1 to interrupt his spells - this was pretty successful and success! The bandit group is now all dead.

Gauislasttodiewithspellsinterruptedbyswo

Guess they shouldn't have demanded tribute from me after all...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Kenthief the human solo Kensai > Thief - FINAL Update!

Kenthief made tremendous progress since last update. Really everything is done except twisted rune stuff and planar sphere, both will be done in chapter 6 (or at least that was the plan).

Time to prepare for Bodhi. Kenthief had charm protection with the drinker, so next he wanted level drain protection. So he got the illithium and the mace of disruption (by sneaking) and had Cromwell forged it - Improved Mace of Disruption was off-hand.

Kenthief felt ready to crash Bodhi's lair. One problem though - I was so fixated by the threat of vampires, I completely overlooked the threat of the ghast in the same room! I could have easily backstabbed the ghast with my Staff of Rhynn (I have auto-pause on enemy gone) then switched to the intended setup. I regenerated some while held (2 Gaxx rings), but not enough, and you can can guess what happened after the screenshot below.

Kenthiefforgetsabouttheghastandgetshelda

Yes, Kenthief died. Back to the ole' drawing board...

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Sorry for your loss, corey. Kenthief was a brave soul and I bet he will have respectable successors. 

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Sad to hear of KenThief Corey.  Quick question though, how did you get 2 Gaxx rings?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sad to hear of KenThief Corey.  Quick question though, how did you get 2 Gaxx rings?

If you have the fixpack, I don't think you can. But in vanilla, if you time it just right, you can pickpocket Kangaxx a moment before you fight him - this nets one Gaxx ring. Win the fight and now you have 2 Gaxx rings.

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Amaru Sakura, reckless Kensai 9 -> Thief 18.

I once again accidentally deleted my post with a Tab-Backspace combo. Eh, times. 

Amaru heard of the Shield Amulet in the bowels of DeArnise Hold, so she headed that way. While travelling there she noticed an  unusally placed guy. She didn't know how he got there and just left him in piece. Amaru grabbed the amulet, killed trolls in adjacent room and came back to the city. She sold loots and set on clearing the way to the Temple lich. 

My lady tackled the mercenary group first. She backstabbed Gaius (Staff of Striking +3), used RoAC, backstabbed the priest (Namarra from then on), drew power from Sandthief's Ring, backstabbed the archer and then ran around hiding and backstabbin the rest. She came invisible to the Rakshasa and almost hit him, but she spotted a mouse, got scared, squaled and her plan backfired - she was in the middle of the enemy position! Nooone could tell this shameful story, so she slaughtered any live soul she could find in the vicinity. After the bloodbath, Amaru helped Roger killing Sea troll, stole all of the useful potions from him (gulped 4 potions of Master Thievery) and unlocked the way to the Temple lich next. 

My reckless character felt like lich hunting, so she prepared locations accordingly. Traps in Bridge and Slums disarmed ,doors opened, minotaurs killed. The order of killing liches was as follow:city gates lich(one hit), bridge lich(he managed to cast some spells, but I lured him out of invisibility with Iron Horn and soon he fell), Temple District lich (two hits), Gaxx. Amaru used Oil of Speed and Protection from Undead scroll to tackle all the liches. Gaxx is always a tricky one, since his Demilich form is immune to Azuredge and having in mind Remove Magic sequencers one cannot just walk up and whack with a melee weapon. Kensai class prohibits the use of any ranged weapons, so I had to be smart about it. The girl summoned 3 remaining entities to lure out the spells. Finally Gaxx fired his 2 x Fire Shield, Stoneskin, PfMW spell sequencer, which for me indicates he is short on spells. Only then Amaru approached and ended Gaxx's dreams of roaming free. Unusually Gaxx didn't summon any Cornugurus, alltough the girl had potions of insulation and clarity at hand.

I reckoned the safest choice for her next conquest would be Temple Ruins. She wielded Daystar and Arbane (Free Action protects against hold which Shadow Fiends like to do) to deal with the majority of the enemies. When she encountered a lich, she quickly read Protection from Undead scroll, which lasted long enough for her to kill the first lich, lure out the second one of his initial invisibility with Horn of Valhalla, kill the second one and destroy Shade Lord. Following the example of Kenthief she left Shadow dragon. She simply had defence too low to withstand the assault of any dragon. Unfortnately I can't remember now (I usually play and write at the same time) when she got her level ups.

Coming back to Athkatla, Amaru dived deep into Aran's questline. Recognizing where the enemy HQ was located got her to level 21. I didn't want to fight with vampires without protection from Domination. I had some choices - potion of clarity, Lilarcor. Both choices had its drawbacks so I decided to grab Adjatha the Drinker and solve my dilemma. Mekrath died to a backstab. I felt confident enough to kill Yuantis in the hall. First thing - Berserker from a horn to lure out spells. He died quickly but Yuantis already fired off their dangerous spells. They even founded a zoo in Mekrath's bedroom. Amaru snuck past it, grabbed the gem, waited out summons, summoned efreeti to lure out more spells and then struck at them herself. Amaru gulped Clarity Potion before attacking Master of Thralls. Placing the gem in the machine advanced Amaru to level 22. Her first choice of HLA was just two levels ahead. Warden was being guarded by a bunch of Yuantis, so Amaru implemented the old wait for buffs to end tactic. After Amaru lured him away from Yuantis (Warden can see through invisibility), she dodged his HLAs (in my installation he has warrior's) and begun the assault, which soon enough ended in victory. Amaru had to reapply potions in the middle of the fight, because Warden managed to Remove Magic her. 

I decided to finish Sir Sarles quest before I let Amaru fight with vampires. Neb was backstabbed, false Illithium delivered to Sarles and the sad lump of ore handed to officials in the temple. The time had come for the vampires to die! Amaru with Daystar in one hand and Adjatha in the other started to kill those pesky vamps. Killing Durst got her to level 23. Amaru grabbed Mace of Disruption to upgrade it. Once it was done, she came back to falling vampires, now she was protected from level drain. The girl let summons tank Tanova's spells. Bodhi got wrecked by the same setup with added Oil of Speed and Potion of Defense. Amaru juked the traps in the room with Lassal fight with Mirror Images from Ilbratha. Amaru talked to Aran after the job had been done. She decided to stop by Watcher's Keep. Killing everything except the statues bumped Amaru to level 24 (Use Any Item). With unlocking UAI the world of endless possibilities opened to Amaru. She immediately equipped Jan's Adventurewear, Helm of Balduran, Scarlet-Ninjato (as a flat upgrade from Belm+2). With Firetooth (crossbow) she disposed of guardian golems as I decided to kill the lich this time. BTW: Firetooth is amazing for killing those big golems. I sent the golem from the manual to attract Priest's attention. It surpassed my expectations - golem was killing the guy. Amaru soon joined her summon to end the deed. Statues were slain by hiding behind the columns and backstabbing. Amaru succesfully descended into 2nd level of Watcher's Keep.

I ended my session there to eat a dinner. Dragons, beware!

Edit: fixed malfunctioning urls in the last 3 paragraphs. I noticed I sometimes use one word too many times. It is a direct consequence of me writing one sentence, playing a few turns out, writing another and so on. I often forgot I am repeating a word from the last sentence. I will try to avoid doing it in the future updates.

Mr_Goldbeard

Mr_Goldbeard
  • Members
  • 74 posts

@ Corey - no way lol.  I'll have to give that a try.

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

@ Corey 

Condolences for your dual classed kensai. Thinking about it, a berserker-thief is probably much more powerful if you dual that early (9). With Rage and some nice gauntlets, you can surpass kensai's damage and have immunities to boot... 

Anyhow, GL with you randoms. They look interesting.

Alaestr

Alaestr
  • Members
  • 90 posts

@Aasim - berserker has certainly an easier time levelling up, but late game potential I think is similar or even tilted in Kensai's favour. Both variants are good, though I wonder what Grond0 thinks of soloing pure Kensai. Does it seem harder or easier than WS?