Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

RIP Russell!

I was looking forward to see how he did on the final test but it was a heros end so well done Corey.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Thanks guys! It was a good run. Solo-wise, this is only 3rd time ever my characters have made it this far, so not a lot of experience, how to deal with these huge mobs without a party - heck even my parties have trouble sometimes on that fight.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Hard luck Corey, but impressive to get your paladin that far anyway.

Keeping moving when tackling large numbers of opponents is a good strategy.  For some fights invisibility also works well to give you a chance to heal and re-buff (from memory I don't think those monks detect invisibility).

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Corey.... :(

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

So sorry, Corey... :( After all those great boss villains  to end like this... Impressive run nonetheless!

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Noooo, I'm so sorry Corey! This really surprised me, after Russell's memorable victories against Draconis and Abazigal (and to a lesser exent Sendai). Sometimes the 'lesser fights' are harder to concentrate on.
Either way I congratulate you with a very good effort.

Sometimes you have to remember the old adage, "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.6,

Hear text as mp3,

Chapter 3; by Sarah,

The harpers menaced me constantly until Jaheira said enough and snuck off to deal with some trial on her own… I don’t agree with her facing them alone but I’ll respect her decision for now.

2s-baldr026.jpg2s-baldr027.jpg

We had a scary call when some trolls attempted to pack rape us but my ‘cloudkill’ proved I could still fight without my tanks when I must… the ***** cat and Druids didn’t give us any real trouble and it was about then that Jaheira abandoned me.

2s-baldr028.jpg2s-baldr029.jpg2s-baldr030.jpg2s-baldr031.jpg

Vamp hunting proved easy because Puk made them cower in corners for our missiles and even Bodhi found our pets to be more than she could handle yet… no doubt she will be ready for us next time but I’m almost a level 11 mage myself now and finding sailing to Brynnlaw pleasant enough.

2s-baldr132.jpg2s-baldr133.jpg

• Dogdancing and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.7,

Hear text as mp3,

Expelliarmus; by Sarah,

The short version is; we needed to defeat an adapt named Perth and my only plan was for Puk to fire his swarm at a friendly summon and Jan to lay a trap as our opening moves.

1. Perth got the drop on us (stopping Jan from deploying his trap) and killing both my opening summons outright with a horrid… Puk did manage to get a ‘Doom’ to stick.

2s-baldr034.jpg
2. We all put a summon into play; M-sword vs Golum (mine) but Puk fired his swarm at our Golum which put Perth on the back foot.

2s-baldr035.jpg
3. Perth was cloaked so I had to use my detect illusion skill to allow us to target him again… Sarah was taking damage fast.

2s-baldr036.jpg
4. Regardless of the swarm, Perth ended Sarah with a flame arrow spell as my group fired missiles to no effect.

2s-baldr037.jpg
5. Yoshimo handed Mazzy some of his normal arrows and they both made short work of the powerful adapt… death by mundane, RIP Perth!

2s-baldr038.jpg

Yoshimo betrayed me as soon as we entered spellhold… Imoen has just re-joined (taking Yoshimos’ place) and the book of spells holds fireball but I gave up a wisdom point to enter a dream library, Bodhi is hunting us, we lost all our gear and apparently I’m missing my soul… what else can possibly go wrong?

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Yoshimo betrayed me as soon as we entered spellhold… Imoen has just re-joined (taking Yoshimos’ place) and the book of spells holds fireball but I gave up a wisdom point to enter a dream library, Bodhi is hunting us, we lost all our gear and apparently I’m missing my soul… what else can possibly go wrong?

You want a list?  Most of it involves death :alien: ...

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Dogdancing and 1 other like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.8,

Hear text as mp3,

Escaping from the loones; by Sarah,

There are two rules in here; I don’t die and Puk doesn’t die… he is our only person with a raise spell.

2s-baldr039.jpg2s-baldr040.jpg
Jan (pymorphed) and Mazzy did the bulk of the heavy except for the dreaded kill trap on the painting which Puk put up his death ward for, then we armed ourselves with mundane weapons and moved into the main Asylum battle.

1. Puk opened with his swarm to catch Irenicus, Imoen and myself both magic missile him before retreating to the far corner… the only thing these spells need to do is distract his attention away from Puk until the swarm is in play.

2s-baldr041.jpg2s-baldr042.jpg

2. We kill off our id and as part of that, I drop an ice storm which turns out to be a real problem for my nemeses… Puk died because he attracted to much attention instead of cloaking as he should have but I still had two shots remaining on my resurrection wand with our stored gear so I wasn’t too worried now that the worse is behind us.

2s-baldr043.jpg

The excess loot payed for a recharge of my resurrection wand and Jan recharged his lightning bolt wand as well… I am now level 12.

• Aasim likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Quad multiplayer attempt 1 - (update 12)
Grond0, Dogdancing, corey_russell, Gate70

After the long break prior to the previous update the Quad were this time back in action within a few days.  They took advantage of that to stumble march relentlessly onwards towards Melissan.

The start of the session wasn't entirely auspicious with Wewa falling victim early on to some frost salamanders.  That was probably as a result of the cold damage they inflict at close quarters, but that damage is not as bad as that done by the fire shield of the Olhydra when attacking in melee - kiddies don't try that at home!

After putting themselves back together the party moved on to the eyeballs - Ratic did most of the work there as he was immune to both their magic attacks and the melee from various summons.  Bondari though was recruited to go and fetch the gauth's eyestalk in order to free a dragon.  Moving on to Abazigal the frost salamanders were taken down pretty easily, but the dragon proved a trickier proposition.  For quite a while at the start of the fight he was shown as immune to all our weapons.  Eventually, though, some damage started creeping in and then accelerated until all attacks were damaging him.  That soon led to him changing form and charging Ratic to seek revenge.  However, his chase proved too impulsive as the traps Iskvael had laid near the entrance brought the dragon to a screeching halt.

At this point there was a quick side trip back to Watcher's Keep to get the 4th flail head for the FoA.  The statues on the first level didn't last long and the elementals on the second were easy enough with Iskvael prompting the rest of the party on what to do.  With the FoA upgraded to a +5 weapon the party took on the 3rd pocket plane challenge - the Slayer lasting only a couple of rounds against concentrated attacks.  Flushed with success the 4th challenge was immediately attempted.  Gate70s connection dropped at the start of that which resulted in Iskvael taking relatively little part, but with everyone protected against backstabs the Favoured of Cyric were quickly sent back to spend more time with their god.

Moving on to Amkethran Ratic set off to go and forge the BMU, but ran into a bunch of mercenaries.  After fighting for quite a while against continual spawns we agreed to leave and come back invisible.  That didn't stop the mercenaries from following Ratic, but he was able to out-distance them and go and get the forging done.  At that point Anomen was keen to go and kill the guard by the gate to get the key.  That again led to a long melee against new spawns - at one point Ratic bravely ran away and cowered in a corner while Anomen remained by the gate holding the line (he who fights and runs away ...).  Eventually Anomen's ghostly voice sounded in Iskvael's ear telling him he could see the key on the ground near the gate and the remainder of the group quickly reconvened at the gate and got inside the compound - locking the chasing monks and mercenaries outside.

After a pocket plane rest the final objective for the session was Balthazar.  With everyone protected by free action, chaotic commands and protection from fire the monks had no way to cause any problems - well, almost no way :o.  Despite Anomen's loss Balthazar came under heavy attack from everyone else and didn't last long against the assault - a check back on the score card showing that it was an aerial servant that got the final blow.

Stats (cont. from BG1):

Grond0 - Ratic, barbarian 30, 169 HPs, 1,122 kills

Dogdancing - Wewa, berserker 29, 158 HPs, 675 kills, 12 deaths

corey_russell - Anomen, fighter 7 / cleric 25, 132 HPs, 114 kills, 3 deaths (Yuledan chunked after 561 kills and 8 deaths)
Gate70 - Iskvael, mage 17 / thief 22, 98 HPs, 247 kills, 6 deaths

• corey_russell and Serg BlackStrider like this

Dogdancing

Dogdancing
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Ah, yes...preceding death number 11 the last words I heard from my fellow Quader Corey_Russell was, "get up close and GWW the salamanders."

That was great advice.

Perhaps a wee bit of hazing the new kid on the block? heehee.

The quad faces bigger challenges then it realizes. One of its tanks (namely me) has never seen anything in the game, past the woodcutter house/deer. They are walking into the final fights with someone who has never done it in person. Only watched its and read about it.

• corey_russell and ussnorway like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

They are walking into the final fights with someone who has never done it in person. Only watched its and read about it.

Just pic that bottle blonde so and so has her hands all over Corey!

• Dogdancing and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Ah, yes...preceding death number 11 the last words I heard from my fellow Quader Corey_Russell was, "get up close and GWW the salamanders."

That was great advice.

Perhaps a wee bit of hazing the new kid on the block? heehee.

The quad faces bigger challenges then it realizes. One of its tanks (namely me) has never seen anything in the game, past the woodcutter house/deer. They are walking into the final fights with someone who has never done it in person. Only watched its and read about it.

I've always said to withdraw if you get low health - I don't advocate suicide. Get a few hits in, run/heal, and repeat.

Just pic that bottle blonde so and so has her hands all over Corey!

I'm unsure of your meaning.

• Blackraven likes this

Dogdancing

Dogdancing
  • Members
  • 30 posts

No worries Corey, I UNDERSTAND her fight instructions clearly! Bwahahahah!

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Garruk, 1st and final BG2 update

I got greedy. Sion didn't like that. I forgot he likes PW:Stun in vanilla game. One on archer had him killed by Koshi (not chunked, yey), however the 2nd one on protagonist made Ketta's backstab a no-fail hit. 60 HP was not enough to survive, and the No-Reload is over. I'll be rolling 2x barbarian next....

end_zps75fedc99.jpg

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Tough break Aasim. Those turkeys at the compound have ended some of my runs too...did you try dispelling arrows to kill the mage quick?

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

Tough break Aasim. Those turkeys at the compound have ended some of my runs too...did you try dispelling arrows to kill the mage quick?

It's kind of an odd story. I exited the dungeon, sold all stuff, bought 200 +2 arrows and a composite long bow. Then I remembered my archer uses crossbows, not bows! :blink:

Without money, I finished CCoronet, aquired some cash, bought Ring of Air control, potion of invisibility, 3 Oils of Speed,  Stonefire Axe and 40 bolts of lightning + a crossbow +1. That (and Tugian) was all I had while assaulting the compound. The mage pretty much screwed me with his True Sight spells and PWs, against which we had no defence apart not being visible. He also used Pro Electricity as his buff - as if he knew my archer is loaded with lightning bolts...

We did down Koshi, so not all was that bad. :)

I probably shouldn't play BG2 right after I finish BG1. It's a much different game.

• ussnorway and Grimwald the Wise like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard luck Aasim. I've only just written you congrats in BG1.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Sorry Aasim, you arn't the first or last to end a run against them.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I see that Alesia didn't finish the game with one, at least I see no mention of the BH in the Hall of Fame, but she got pretty far with one I think.

Alesia made it to the final battle with Melissan. That had been my first attempt to solo the SCS-Ascension solo battle, and Alesia was a victim of my inexperience.

The description of her fall appears here:

http://forum.bioware...allenge/page-64

The description of the strategy that did work in subsequent replay appears here:

http://forum.bioware...allenge/page-66

Good luck with your run!

Best,

A.

Btw. Condolences Corey. When I lost my undead hunter, Alessandra, to Tamah & Abazigal it was a heartbreaker. I was hoping to see a fellow UH avenge her.

• corey_russell and Grimwald the Wise like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hi Alesia, nice of you to pop in. You have my thanks for your references. This thread is full of useful info but 410 pages and counting is a bit overwhelming.

Your BH got very very far, the final battle! I've never reached that far in a no-reload campaign, but who knows maybe my Wizard Slayer will surprise me. Anyway I started a BH a while back, two actually, but one got petrified by a Basilisk (carelessness on my part) and the other insta-died while she was pelting Tazok with arrows from afar for his Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise (the only set in my game). I don't know whether the latter insta-death scenario is a bug; it sure makes little sense imo. Either way, I don't like reloading after a character's death even if it's due to a bug, so I'll probably roll another one. Though I'm also considering a Fighter/Thief or giving my Priest of Talos a second chance...

Hope you're well, see you :)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Alesia_B_H wrote...

Btw. Condolences Corey. When I lost my undead hunter, Alessandra, to Tamah & Abazigal it was a heartbreaker. I was hoping to see a fellow UH avenge her.

Thank you. I was thinking of your UH run too. I lost the fight mainly because of the "laissez-faire" attitude I had at the moment. I was even using AI. I was also distracted a little bit as people were talking to me during it. Instead, I should have taken much tighter control (e.g., burning down the enemies, one-by-one) and should have had auto-pause target destroyed. I was using that for most of the run actually, but it got turned off when I played BG 2 with my 8-year old daughter and hadn't turned it back on.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Fusion - half-elf cleric/ranger (update 1)

Fusion completed his work in BG1 a few days ago, though not without incident.  After a busy week I've had time today to allow him to make a start in Amn.  

With both stealth and summons available the dungeon was simple, though I was slightly slow getting to grips with Ulvaryl and she managed to get away.  Kalah was less fortunate - a holy smite catching up with him as he tried to run.

After making a few purchases from Ribald, Fusion reported in to Gaelan Bayle then went to the Docks to get some armour from Officer Dirth (most of the time he will dress in leather to sneak around, but he's likely to occasionally want something heavier).

Back at the Slums a couple of skeletons and a nymph were enough to deal with the Beastmaster on the way to changing management at the Copper Coronet.  That got him his final levels with constitution bonus - he finished with 93 base HPs, which is exactly average - and celebrated by buying the Sling of Seeking and the Sleeper.

Travelling under stealth he triggered the Suna Seni ambush and took that down with a potion of firebreath.  Another firebreath immediately dealt with Renfeld's ambushers, though that meant much of the loot had to be left.  After selling what he had he then came across the orog ambush - this time some skeletons helped finish off what was left after a holy smite.

After returning Renfeld, Fusion sneaked into Prebek's house and generated some skeletons to bash him up.  After looting the harpers he watched as Xzar was struck down and then avenged him

RecordL9_zpsd89a0878.jpg

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0: looks promising so far, keep it up!