Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Yep, a good start Grond0, much better than my Priest of Talos hehe.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

A good start - but not a good finish ...

Fusion - half-elf cleric/ranger (second and final update)

Fusion had had a trouble-free beginning to BG2, but, lacking any decent enemies to fight against, he managed to find a way to kill himself.

He cleared the Graveyard tombs using a scroll of PfU before returning a teddy bear and trapping Uncle Lester in a ring of bone.

Next he did Mae'Var's tasks - Rayic Gethras surprisingly getting held by a nypmph after Fusion sneaked into the corner to produce some summons.  Mae'Var's thieves struggled to get through his plate armour, while the main man was helpless against a skeleton army even before lying down on the job under attack from the Sleeper.

Fusion's next intended target was the Ring of Gaxx and he set off to the Temple Sewers to open up access to the lich there.  On arrival, a nymph confused some waiting kobolds to ensure their shaman would not cause any problems.  Fusion was still a few HPs down from trap damage after looting Mae'Var's guild and decided to use vampiric touch on the nymph to maximise those before resting (he wanted to learn flame blade to finish off Roger's troll).  Rather than rely on stealth being successful I thought it would be safer to just get rid of the nymph's potentially dangerous spells.  In previous installations I've tried charming the PC with summons and had no problems, but this time the results were not so pleasant (possibly charm and domination are treated differently?) :(.

Dominated_zps92f4f051.jpg

• ussnorway, Dogdancing, Grimwald the Wise and 2 others like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

So your world came apart and a girl did it with a kiss... sounds about right.

Sorry for your loss Grond0 but don't give up on love yet... the right one is out there still!

• corey_russell, Dogdancing, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.9,

Hear text as mp3,

Slippery when wet; by Sarah,

We disturbed two lovers to fetch a horn for Saemon then sailed into a double ambush… The giff first and shark monsters second, but their weakness is ranged weapons and our weapons don’t run out of ammo so that was pretty much a kill by numbers type of exercise.

2s-baldr045.jpg2s-baldr046.jpg

2s-baldr047.jpg2s-baldr048.jpg

Sarah killed the prince for his halberd (wave) head then we sold the +3 spear, excess loot which payed for a scroll of Spell Sequencer plus two Freedom scrolls and Sarah unlocked the Rod of Lordly Might for me so I could equip the sword from it… I am now level 13 in a deep dark hole.

• Dogdancing and Grimwald the Wise like this

Aasim

Aasim
  • Members
  • 1,361 posts

lacking any decent enemies to fight against, he managed to find a way to kill himself.

Incredible.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Incredible.

What can I say - just natural talent I guess :P.

• corey_russell, Grimwald the Wise and CrevsDaak like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

What can I say - just natural talent I guess :P.

I have done that myself with magic. Fireballs, lightning bolts etc. Suicide isn't that hard in BG :D

• CrevsDaak likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Sorry Grond0, highly original, but sad anyway.. Better luck with your next character, another C/R(?)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Grond0: That is an original way to die - next time just have the nymph target itself. Or if you insist on targeting yourself, you could use...a charm helmet.  ^_^ While I know your next run didn't make it either, hope the one after can make some progress.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Thanks Corey - it's shaping up well so far.

Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (update 1)

The current incarnation of Toxic has graduated from BG1.  I was playing very safely there and Toxic was never badly wounded or exposed to spells in the game.  Let's see how long I can keep that up in BG2!  As with all my characters he doesn't use healing potions or antidotes or any other form of active healing (such as rod of resurrection).

Toxic already had the XP for level 9 in BG1 and levelled up on arrival in the dungeon.  Another good roll took him to a very nice total of 111.  Toxic took no chances there - anything potentially dangerous was neutralised with horror before he moved into sight.  The bits of damage he suffered were cured by resting through constitution regeneration (achievable using DUHM even after he equipped the Claw of Kazgaroth.  Two kai hits were enough for Ulvaryl.

Two hits were also sufficient to deal with Kalah and restore the circus to normal operation (taking Toxic to level 10) before he made a few initial purchases and went to report to Gaelan Bayle.

RecordL10_zpsc98f8664.jpg

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Quad multiplayer attempt 1 - (13th and final update)
Grond0, Dogdancing, corey_russell, Gate70

It proved to be unlucky 13 for the Quad team as their brave first attempt eventually fell just short of success.

They started confidently enough as some aerial servants and mordy swords proved pretty effective at occupying the ravager while a series of GWWs with ranged weapons hit it - success being achieved with minimal damage to the party.

Before going to confront Mel everyone buffed up as the first fight with her is pretty tough.  One of the reasons for that quickly became apparent as an early timestop saw her get Wewa in her melee sights and the berserker didn't survive.  That severely disrupted the attack - even after a RoR use Wewa took a while to get her gear back and was then less effective than usual when attacking from range.  Anomen took over tanking duties, attempting to slow Mel with the FoA, and he paid the price.  However, with Mel between stoneskins the others kept the pressure up and eventually managed to chase her away.

A revived Anomen produced some summons to occupy Yan-C-Bin and his allies while they were shot.  Iskvael then laid some traps for Mel which took her to injured status at the start of the next combat session.  The summons evaporated under a death spell from a Death Tyrant and left Anomen exposed in his attempt to slow Mel.  He died again, but Mel was severely injured herself and her attempt to heal was interrupted to send her on her way again.

A first use of the staff of fire produced some elementals to help with Cryonax and his supporters in the second pool fight.  Then a slightly more potent mix of traps immediately took Mel to badly injured and sent her scurrying north.  Hiding behind the pillar makes her more difficult to target, but everyone did their best and she was soon at near death.  Mel seemed to realise she couldn't survive, but was clearly keen to take Anomen down with her for the 3rd time - and was successful in doing so.

Some more fire elementals were joined by a Ratic simmy for the 3rd pool battle.  However, our strategy here was a bit unclear and initial attacks were not concentrated enough to kill anything.  Then disaster almost struck when the game disappeared from my screen for a few seconds.  I should have asked someone else to pause, but concentrated on getting control back - just in time as Ratic was down to 3 HP and about to die of marilith poison :sick:.  An antidote and the RoR soon sorted him out and, although all summons were dead by now, the party ganged up on a marilith - Ratic nipping in with a stonefire GWW to finish it off before it could bring up a new stoneskin.  There was then an attempt to do the same thing to the second marilith and most of the party thought that had been successful when it disappeared from the screen - in fact it had just been stunned and sent sliding backward by a hit from K'Logarath.  That effect of the throwing axe is fun, but can also be dangerous as an attacker will automatically follow (and if wearing boots of speed and using an oil of speed there's not much time to react :blink:).  That's what Ratic did and he entered the target zone of the fallen solar - a vorpal attack on him ensured he didn't leave it.

Death.jpg

By that stage abilities were low, but Iskvael still had 4 spike traps which would have made a nice hole in Mel's last form and, with everyone attacking, her final incarnation should have been easy enough.  With the 3rd pool fight I think one character should have been given the job as target and just concentrated on keeping moving to occupy the mariliths - being equipped with the reflection shield to neutralise the fallen solar and a charm helmet to protect against the succubus.  The concentrated fire from the others should then have been sufficient to kill the mariliths and the rest would have been easy.

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Dogdancing and 2 others like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Sad to hear that #13 proved its foul reputation once again, friends. But at the same time it is great that your Quad Team got that far (and nearly succeeded) at the very first attempt, with all those MP-over-Internet slowdowns and glitches! I'm pretty sure we all will witness your success in no time. (*sigh* I'm a bit jealous...  :blush: )

• corey_russell, Dogdancing, Grond0 and 1 other like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Valeant effort guys… that’s the practice over with.

• corey_russell likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Yep, what Serg and USSN said, admirable work there, very close.
I'm also a bit jealous not just because MP is a lot of fun, but also because my characters keep dying way earlier hehe.

• corey_russell likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Yep, what Serg and USSN said, admirable work there, very close.
I'm also a bit jealous not just because MP is a lot of fun, but also because my characters keep dying way earlier hehe.

Four minds really are better than one. I noticed that in our play through - if there was a weakness in an idea, it would be spotted. Also, the veterans (Grond0, Gate70, Corey_Russell) all knew some things the others didn't, which enabled more options and more likely methods of success (such as Corey_Russell's anti-mage buffing of a single fighter to have that fighter solo a mage).

The biggest change in MP, to me, is that strategies that include heavy pausing (like auto-pausing) are not viable due to the pause lag in MP. Single player has a huge advantage in this regard.

• Blackraven likes this

Dogdancing

Dogdancing
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Was interesting fighting Mel without armor...I don't know much about the final battle, but I do know doing it in your underwear is not a good idea. :P

The quad was a lot of fun. My knowledge of the game was broadened and I got to see the final last few fights that I have never reached before.

I assumed my bumbling play would be the demise of the quad, so much relieved that that wasn't he case. *phew!*

When I saw the familiar disintegrating hand I was saddened that the quad experience was over. I hadn't thought that we would roll up new character's and start again. Much to my delight those lunatics fellow quaders, did just that, and off we went. I am excited that, the much look forward to weekly quading, will go on.

Thought I would give the group a new challenge and pick a class I know ZERO about and see how that flies. bwhahahaha!

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 3 others like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (update 2)

Toxic has made a bit more progress - still playing carefully and no problems to date.

The RoAC then allowed him to turn the tables on the Suna Seni ambushers - firebreath making its normal mess of them.  The same thing happened to Renfeld's attackers.

After a quick trip to Watcher's Keep to get the potion case Toxic returned Renfeld and used the RoAC to kill Prebek and Sanasha.

Protection from undead allowed him to clear the Graveyard (level 11).  After selling loot and punishing some kidnappers (before collecting their ransom) he returned to the Graveyard to use another PFU scroll on the Southern Tombs and the RoAC on Pai'Na (stopped her casting and ensured an automatic save against spider bites).

He used throwing axes to kill the Fallen Paladins (staying away from Carbos and Shank to avoid triggering their conversation as that doesn't pause the game).

While resting during the delay until the Ore Merchant returned Toxic got a warning from the Cowled Wizards for using the RoAC and decided to play safe by paying for a license.  He then finished off the Sir Sarles quest and retrieved a relic of Lathander without fuss (level 12).

After buying Stonefire he opened up access to all the liches, dealing with Roger's troll while in the temple sewers.  There was an interesting encounter there when he came across a group of slimes with a mephit.  Normally while wearing the Claw of Kazgaroth his saving throw at level 12 would leave him vulnerable to stinking cloud, but he was level drained at the time from 2 traps.  As that neutralises all saving throw adjustments from items worn his saving throw against death was actually better while drained. 

He'll be picking up the Ring of Gaxx next.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.10,

Hear text as mp3,

For want of a sword; by Sarah,

I have to apologize first for the lack progress but we have made some head way and this seems a quiet time to wright it down. Ok, we did a spot of elemental hunting which showed us how woeful our weapons are then we sent the pets against a small drow war party… mostly to get their (cast friendly) armour , then the smurfs asked us to kill a balor for them which gave Puk a +3 mace, that would have been very handy about two minutes ago.

2s-baldr050.jpg2s-baldr051.jpg2s-baldr052.jpg

The Pandora rescue;

One of the smurfs misplaced a son so working right to left (briefest to longest) we had a bash at some rescue for hire.
1. The first guy was Gont… he didn’t see the kid but did know about what we would encounter in the area and alerted us to the drow ambush tactics they like to use on their bridge.
2. The kid is safe… hooray!
3. A disagreeable gift named Riti… good riddance.

2s-baldr058.jpg2s-baldr057.jpg

4. A mage named Strathi tried to stop us from helping him but I removed his illusions so Puk could ‘Heal’ him… he rewarded us with an incredibly rare bastard sword which Mazzy likes.
5. Unfortunately Angelo was completely burko but Mazzy has vowed to carry his bastard sword as well with a view to eventually dual wielding them so that some good can come of him… one does a powerful poison attack whilst the other protects against poison.

2s-baldr054.jpg2s-baldr055.jpg

edit: almost forgot the undead, he figured he didn't need protection from poision... we showed him that was wrong.

• Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

You're doing well USSNorway, and I hope Sarah can keep it up.
What happened with Jan and Imoen btw? I see they both kicked the bucket at some point.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

You're doing well USSNorway, and I hope Sarah can keep it up.
What happened with Jan and Imoen btw? I see they both kicked the bucket at some point.

Thanks... they got tagged with a death spell just before Puk got the 'Heal' in.

baldr056.jpg

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (update 3)

Toxic had a decent session this morning and made some further pretty comfortable progress.

A protection from undead scroll allowed him to breeze through the 4 liches in Athkatla and acquire the Ring of Gaxx.  For once I didn't bother using the Rod of Terror to manipulate charisma, but Toxic killed the nearby pirates anyway.

Back at the Bridge District solving the skinner murders got Toxic to level 13.  Kitthix webbed one Rune Assassin and absorbed the backstab from the other, leaving Toxic to finish off - though he was taken down to easily his lowest % of HPs in the run so far by the bone golem.

The next target was Umar Hills.  Inside the temple a PfU scroll allowed easy progress, with a first use of Ilbratha on a bone golem - that took him up to level 14.  The scroll had run out before he got to the Shade Lord, but an improved hasted attack and a sun ray dealt with him before he could buff anyway.  As this is a cautious run I chose to leave Thaxy for later.  Before leaving Umar Toxic picked up Valygar's body (level 15).

Back in the city Toxic cleared out the slaver ship then returned to the Temple sewers.  After buying the pick of Roger's potions he took a cloak off a rakshasa.  Then Kitthix webbed Gaius to make an assault on Tarnor's party comfortable - providing him with a decent throwing weapon for the first time (though he's still unlikely to use it much).  Mekrath was similarly webbed, while his umber hulk guards made little impression on the RoAC and mirrors (the latter were also useful against the lightning traps).

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (update 4)

An extended session this morning saw more pretty untroubled progress for Toxic while completing the majority of the remaining work available in chapters 2 and 3.

He started the session by running through Mae'Var's tasks (level 16).  Rayic Gethras failed to get past Toxic's standard spell saving throw of -3.  Mae'Var himself stood no real chance anyway, but that was reinforced after Kitthix webbed both him and the cleric.  Normally I loot the guild, but Toxic already has over 100k (which is more than he needs), so didn't bother.

The next target was the de'Arnise Hold.  By avoiding large groups of enemies at once Toxic breezed through there.  Several spirit trolls early on got him up to level 17 and finishing off Torgal and his guards to level 18.  The FoA and shield amulet gained from the trip are both useful items.  Toxic washed his hands of the place though by rejecting the offer of a stronghold.

Returning to Watcher's Keep Toxic found there were no vampiric wraiths on guard and quickly took advantage of that to clear the top level.  Unusually for me I didn't use run and shoot tactics here, but just buffed up for melee - Kitthix helping out with the final statue when Toxic started to take damage (level 19).

Moving on to Trademeet Toxic picked up his second and third summons by killing some genies before doing a spot of shopping.  He had no trouble in the Grove, although a couple of druids managed to escape when Kitthix failed to kill Kyland Lind before his web evaporated and he told them to run away.  I did make one mistake though - realising at this point that I hadn't bought Adratha's potions (he also died too quickly to summon his support crew).  However, Toxic very rarely uses potions so it's no real loss. Back in town he reported in to the mayor and received his first HLA at level 20 as a reward.  He then finished his work in the area by clearing the tomb, helping Tiris and buying the Necklace of Missiles.

Returning to the City Toxic finally got around to paying Gaelan Bayle (all vampire ambushes had finished by this stage).  I generally aim to get spell save down to at least -3 (to ensure saving against things like chaos and symbol spells) and that was now achievable without the Claw - Toxic thus swapped that for the +2 ring of protection.

Toxic quickly ran through Aran's tasks on the way to vampire HQ.  There he used Kitthix as a distraction to kill all the enemies on the top level except Tanova - she was hit by an invisible attack topped up by a sunray (level 21).  After going to upgrade the MoD Toxic returned to melee his way through the bottom level and then Lassal.  He didn't bother resting for Bodhi on the grounds that Ras would provide sufficient cover - which it did.

Reporting back to Aran Linvail got Toxic to level 22 before he went on to the Planar Prison.  Entering there invisibly he quickly got out of true sight range.  However, rather than produce summons to help him he just attacked on his own.  Using an oil of speed, the mage was dead before it could buff and Toxic's new greater deathblow ability cleared away the remaining bounty hunters within seconds to provide him with some boots of speed.  Toxic worked his way through various enemies without much difficulty - though he did resort to a rare use of run & shoot tactics to finish off the wyvern.  He rested before breaking the orb and the Warden failed to survive an initial assault under cover of the thralls attacking - not even having time to summon more yuan-ti to guard him.

After digging the acorns out of storage Toxic set off for Windspear Hills.  Defeating an ambush from some misguided paladins took him to level 23.  Moving on to the dungeon a first use of WW ensured Digdag couldn't run away from the entrance.  The vampires were decimated by a sunray before being polished off by the iMoD, while greater wolfweres would have needed a radical upgrading of their regeneration to match Toxic's damage output - a group of those provided level 24.  Samia's crew didn't put up much of a struggle (level 25) and nor did Tazok.  Conster failed to cast a spell through Stonefire's elemental damage before Toxic rested for Firkraag.  An initial assault with improved haste and kai got him to injured before Kitthix and the genie were buffeted away.  He then summoned Ras to occupy Firkraag's attention while he worked through stoneskins.  He hadn't quite finished doing that when another buffet sent him and Ras away, but on their return it didn't take long to complete the job (I then nearly made the mistake of leaving immediately before Ras returned to inventory, but remembered in time).

In order to tidy up a loose end Toxic returned to Umar temple and attacked Thaxy.  There were similar tactics used there to initially take Thaxy to injured.  He put up PfMW to defend himself, but as soon as he fixated on Ras Toxic moved back in with a GWW using a normal sword and that quickly cut the dragon to pieces (level 26).

• Blackraven and CrevsDaak like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts
Good work there Grond0, stay focused :)

An uninspired session ended Thani's run. Sorry for those who were hoping to see her ascend. Personally I don't really care, much to my own surprise. I'm sure SCS no-reload can be done with a Wizard Slayer, but I made the decision of playing at the wrong time. Beating everything down with Hardiness and GWWs was getting stale for me, and maybe the fact that I hadn't played with her in quite a while made me lose some of my affinity with the kit and the character.
Anyway, after having successfully covered Watcher's Keep's elemental level and completed all sidequests in Saradush, she decided to seek out Gromnir. She battled her way into his palace where she had to face a number of the Half-Orc's soldiers, inlcuding a mage. With her MR over 100 and her below zero saves, Thani had made it a habit of dealing with warriors first and wizards last. She did not depart from that habit, even though the mage called forth an annoying number of summons: a Fallen Planetar, a Glabrezu, a Mordy's Sword, an Efreeti and Misleads/Simulacra of himself. At one point the wizard lowered her magic resistance and raised her saves, and soon after he cast Chaos at her without me noticing it (which isn't that strange with so many actions by so many different actors taking place that I missed the announcement of a Chaos coming my way in the action screen). The spell took effect, and Thani killed herself attacking the fireshielded Efreeti.

• ussnorway and Aasim like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Sorry for your loss Blackraven, I’ve had characters that stop being fun… any tactic that includes “ignore the mage” will ultimately end the same ime.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Sorry for your loss Blackraven, I’ve had characters that stop being fun… any tactic that includes “ignore the mage” will ultimately end the same ime.

Thanks for your sympathies USSNorway.
I didn't ignore the Mage entirely (for example at one point he cast Symbol: Fear, and I equiupped Dragonslayer). And I certainly didn't intentionally ignore that Chaos spell, that was simply an oversight. I would have equipped the Shield of Harmony for a moment. Either way, the hard-hitting warriors and the gated demon and fallen planetar were the more immediate threats to Thani's well-being which is why my focus was on them.