Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Hard luck Blackraven.  Seems a shame for a wizard slayer to finally be brought down by a mage, but an impressive run nevertheless.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Magicken entering BG 2/ToB portion of the trilogy no-reload challenge...

Magicken has made it out of Chateau Irenicus. Sadly, Khalid was killed by my captor. And just as bad when we exited the dungeon, Imoen was captured by some hooded figures. We can't do anything about Khalid, but Jaheira and I are resolved to get our group mate back as soon as we can. As for the dungeon itself, Jaheira, Imoen and myself were more than a match for it.

In the dungeon, I regained my wizard powers - I am sure those will come in handy.

I will rescue you Imoen, I promise...

{Corey_Russell note - I was initially planning to be solo, but the traps would have killed me. So instead a compromise, will duo with Jaheira for chapter 2, then trio with Imoen once we rescue her. We will stay trio till the end, unless one of us gets chunked perhaps.}

• ussnorway likes this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S 1.11,

Hear text as mp3,

A woman’s weapon; by Sarah,

2s-baldr062.jpg2s-baldr063.jpg

First, we put the beat down on some more elementals in order to help a mage rob their realm but he tried to hog the loot and that wasn’t very smart of him. Somehow I thought the stun bolts used by the fish guys were save against poison * so we headed west and found a room with powerful un-dead to loot.

2s-baldr064.jpg

At Jans’ current level, his traps still do poison damage and these un-dead are vulnerable to that so we made a simple plan;
A. 3 traps inside the room and return to the inn to rest then come back and send a spider in to spring the trap whilst we wait safely outside the closed door.
B. The first traps kill two of the four (takes a while) and Jan sets another 3 traps before opening the door again, whist we summon pets and buff up a bit.

2s-baldr065.jpg2s-baldr066.jpg

It’s not cricket but we have a destiny to win and it’s not like demon un-dead are into fighting fair anyway.

I got very lucky with the fish prince;

2s-baldr067.jpg2s-baldr068.jpg

1. Sarah volunteered to spike the pond with tainted tadpoles (under stealth) but the prince can see by script and tried to attack her… interestingly, this worked in our favour because it created a bottleneck.
2. We changed tactics and ran into the first chamber to fire lightning bolts into the sardined mass… they really don’t like electric damage.

2s-baldr069.jpg

Sarah eventually died to the lightning and we raised her afterwards but this is the easiest boss fight I’ve had for a while now. The prince couldn’t reach Sarah because all his peons blocked the way but they didn’t attack her because she was stealthy and only the big kahuna can see invisible… a case of the safest thing for Sarah to do was nothing!

* The stun bolts they use are actually save vs spell but it didn’t affect the outcome.

Loot;
The elemental mage gives a rod and a hat,
The art of trapping un-dead gives armour and a belt,
Tainted tadpoles mixed with lightning bolts gives a royal blood sample and haste bracers.

• corey_russell and Grimwald the Wise like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Magicken the human illusionist/fighter - update 2

Jaheira - level 8 fighter/level 10 druid, 69 HP, 30 kills, lesser clay golem

Magicken - level 7 illusionist/level 9 fighter, 65 HP, 115 kills, Ulvaryl

Magicken Journal - Day 9

Well journal, Jaheira and I are still alive, though its not been without its challenges. While Sword of Chaos is a good weapon, and Helm of Balduran is a good helm, but otherwise our equipment just stinks. So we've doing some things to help with that. We haven't been able to afford a Magic license yet, so what I've had to do is go into buildings, buff there then move to other areas when needed. We've also been in a few vampire ambushes - we've tried to keep our distance when that's option.

One of the first things that happened is we met a fellow by the name of Galen Bayle. He said he would help us find our Immy for 20,000 gold. We didn't have that, and we badly need better equipment and spells before that's even realistic. But we have a goal, at least. We have been buying containers whenever that's been possible (note: I didn't SK a bag of holding, since not solo).

I had a strong feeling we would find a container we would want at Watcher's Keep, so that was our first destination after Bayle. However, I was sure it wasn't as easy as that - so what I did is make Jaheira and me invisible via spell. And sure enough when tried to go to WK, we got ambushed by some slavers led by Suna Seni.

Baldr277_zps0fc6c713.png

This was simple to outwit, however. Jaheira and i moved away, and I did maximum buffs - then then one-shotted the slaver wizard with the Sword of Chaos - Jaheira assisted with call lightning once I had the enemies attention - her spell killed two of them and my Sword destroyed the rest - easy peasy. I kept the Arbane, it's hold immunity I might need one day and for now Jaheira used the AC 2 armor we found a small upgrade over her Dead Mail. We do eventually get to Watcher's Keep and buy a potion bag and a gem bag, and some spells in particular haste.

For lack of anything better to do we tried to go to Copper Coronet. We discovered they had some sort of gladiator thing going on. So I did a lot of spell buffs then showed myself, Jaheira hanging back, she still has bad AC and no hold defense. However, there was just a single guard, and the Sword of Chaos one-shotted him before he could summon help. (Corey_Russell Note: if you let him talk he summons two wizards who like to cast hold, but if killed before he talks, they don't appear). There was a single winter wolf to slay next.

However, the challenge was, much, much harder. While I still had lots of buffs on me and approached invisible, I did not one-shot the Beastmaster. All the beasts charged me and took huge damage, lot of extra healing potions gulped as well as being badly hurt. Jaheira tried to help with sling and plague of insects but it wasn't enough. Fortunately, by keeping attacking and gulping blue potions we did in fact win this fight. The plate mail was a small upgrade over my splint mail. The rest of the slaver guards were then easy to mop up - Hendak was quite pleased.

The next objective was the Copper Coronet Sewers. I did max buffs again and opened with a fireball on some hobgoblins. This didn't kill them all but it broke their resistance - the shamans tried to heal so I worked on killing them first - Jaheira was going to help with plague of insects but the hobgoblins fell too fast. Next there was an Otyugh and some jellies - Jaheira had to summon a flame blade to help me, since all she has at the moment is a plain old club. We found a hand here. I then soloed a mustard jelly with no problem and found a ring on a corpse. We then carefully walked across a plank - I had a feeling walking on the laying door would be bad (Corey_Russell: Magicken is correct - it's a petrify trap). We then turned right but that was a minor mistake, set off a cloudkill trap - we got out of that fast. Next, we killed a carrion crawler and took its blood. No enemies near the room with the pipes, hmm...well I left a nymph in that area and looked at the pipes. Sure enough, some kobolds appeared. Jaheira tried to plague of insects and moved a way - we waited until that finished then charged - success! The next bit was supposed to be simple, but wasn't. Jaheira was supposed to talk to the kobolds in the central passageway and get the staff - she could of gotten the staff we needed without fighting, but she for some reason attacked one of the kobolds that WASN'T the kobold shaman and made them all hostile (Corey_Russell note: Her AI caused this problem). Jaheira suddenly found a big fight on her hands, and the kobold with our 2000 gold was running away, she tried to sling it but was hard being stuck in an entangle and with the shaman running away...she took lots of damage (her AC is still poor) but she did eventually kill the kobolds and get the staff. 

I then made some mistakes on the pipes - they weren't fatal though and eventually got a reward - a new sword called Lilacor. This is definitely better than the Sword of Chaos, so will likely use this for a while. After all this excitement, we needed to sell and rest.

We talked to a man at the gate, and he said there were issues in Trademeet. I had a feeling we would find stuff that Jaheira needed, and so Jaheira and I tried to head there, but of course it wasn't as simple as that. We got ambushed (or perhaps we walked into ambush) by some people attacking a man named Renfeld. I charged the enemies and Jaheira did plague of insects - this was devastating, success, good. We agreed to take this man to his people, but had to go to the docks, the OPPOSITE direction we want to go.

We arrived at the docks at night. We overheard two thieves talking to a vampire and the thieves attacked us. At the exact same time, four muggers came into view and attacked. I still can't spells (in fact, just before the ambush tried to but was warned), so charged, hoping my plate mail would hold. Jaheira tried to help with call lightning and something else, I forget, but she got interrupted. So was straight melee, but the Lilacor hits very hard (Corey_Russell note: Magiken has ***** in Two-hand Sword as well as ** in Two handed weapon style so this makes a lot of sense). 

Jaheira then noticed me do something a bit odd - equipped the Arbane and a random magical dagger I picked up in some ambush, despite having no skill whatsoever with those weaopons, or even any skill with two weapon fighting. We then met a Cleric of Cyric who demanded we worship Cyric - not a chance A fight ensued - and Jaheira was held! However, the cleric had stopped casting spells and was swinging his staff at her. Big mistake pal! I equipped the Lilacor and destroyed this pesky cleric. Jaheira was still held, so returned Renfeld to his friends, and got a new quest to help Xzar - when I first left Candlekeep he helped my group briefly before I kicked him and his dead fighter/thief halfling friend in favor of Khalid and Jaheira. Well now Xzar tells me his friend Montaron is alive! Guess he visited a temple...so we'll check out this Harper base when we get time.

By this point, Jaheira was herself again. We went to the exit of the area, and will be Trademeet in my next journal entry. By the way, Journal, Jaheira has had a few personal conversations with me that had nothing to do with our quest for Imoen. I think she might be forming an interest in me, but it's still fairly vague at this point - perhaps there will be more to report my next journal entry.

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Magicken the human illusionist/fighter - update 2

snip...

(Corey_Russell note: Magiken has ***** in Two-hand Sword as well as ** in Two handed weapon style so this makes a lot of sense).

Yes but two handed weapon is a gusty pick for a no-reload... I totally approve.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Magicken the Human Illusionist/Fighter - Update 3

Traveling with: Jaheira

Magicken Journal - Day 16

Well Journal, Jaheira and I tried to get to Trademeet - but it wasn't quite that simple of course. We got ambushed by 8 orogs and two thieves - very tough ambush. I had to gulp many potions to stay in one piece - I REALLY need some full plate! But once Jaheira got a nymph up, the tide turned - the nymph managed to hold several of the orogs, was quite helpful.

We finally get to Trademeet, and some animals are attacking the City Guard - we lend our assistance. Apparently the town is under attack - druids perhaps? In any case, we move toward the genie tent and we then do max buffs (mirror image, improved invisibility) - Jaheira can cast improved invisibility via her ring, which she does in any fight dealing with enemy casters. We then attack the genie outside the tent - takes a while but we do get him. We charge the tent and take out the head genie - his pal then retreats. Jaheira's eyes lit up at the magical scimitar, but I told her to hold off, going to get you something better.

So we get our reward for dealing with the genies, and now Jaheira has a shield which prevents her from being held, confused or charmed/dominated, as well as big boost to her AC. I'm sure this will come in handy. Using friends x3 and our reward money, I pay 11000 gold for the Blackblood Club. Jaheira told me I didn't have to do that, but she was gracious enough to take it. I'm sure it will come in handy. [Corey_Russell note: unfortunately two hand swords don't offer much in killing trolls - Silver Sword maybe but that's much, much later. Thus the Blackblood will be our usual troll killer] 

I went to get my magic license, because then we try to get me my full plate from the Seas Bounty, but still not quite enough. So Jaheira and I go into the Copper Coronet Sewers. We buff to the max and both of us are invisible at the start of the fight with Captain Haegan and his men. Jaheira was going to cast plague of insects, but it was unnecessary, as I one-shotted the priest of Cyric. We then bring the battle to the enemies, me with Lilacor and Jaheira with plain bullets from sling of seeking. We win pretty cleanly. The blackblood dealt with two trolls that weer nearby and we freed some children.

We carefully avoided some sort of prismatic spray trap. We take out two Yuan-tis. Jaheira then does entangle x2 and a nymph while I throw a fireball at the enemy slaver wizards. Jaheira then does plague of insects while we then range with our slings - victory once again. I had to eat some trap damage, we looted what we could and reported to Hendak - he was pleased indeed. 

So we got to the docks district - there was a merchant I bought a locket from who put Jaheira's and my likeness in the picture - at first, Jaheira tried to turn it down, but she loves it now. Then we got to Seas Bounty - Jaheira then gets cursed by Ployer! Grrr...

So we go to the slums, buff at Galen Bayle's place, then talk to Ployer. I attack while Jaheira does plague of insects. This helps but Jaheira gets badly wounded, I yell at her, Get out of here! She does, but I am confused! (chaos) - however, even confused I destroy the enemies [Corey_Russell note: wait a minute I have Lilacor? I shouldn't be confused? Perhaps it showed the icon, but didn't take effect]. Jaheira wisely waits outside until my chaos ends. We pick up her lock of hair and she is cured, well she is after we rest for a day. A magical cloak was found on a Ployer assassin, will be a help to Jaheira I am sure.

Finally we have enough for my magic license - I get it immediately at the Government District. We return to the Seas Bounty - the plan? Blind Officer Dirth, then sling him dead. Well the blind worked, but slinging him dead wasn't, we used up 100 bullets and he was still standing. Jaheira decided we needed to speed this up, but safely - she summoned a genie from her genie lamp. She then ordered it to cast spells at Officer Dirth - this helped quite a bit, but Jaheira constantly had to take close control of the genie, as it kept trying to get into melee range which would be a bad idea. With the genie's help, Officer Dirth does fall. Full plate is now mine! 

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Nice progress (and story-telling), Corey. I think that it's like you said: the confusion may occur, but the sword keeps you from actually being confused.
Btw, what did Officer Dirth do to earn the wrath of your Lawful Good Mage-Fighter? ;)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Nice progress (and story-telling), Corey. I think that it's like you said: the confusion may occur, but the sword keeps you from actually being confused.
Btw, what did Officer Dirth do to earn the wrath of your Lawful Good Mage-Fighter? ;)

Thanks! As for Officer Dirth - he's a slaver. As a LG, I don't need much more than that. Also, when you talk to him, he will tell you he recognizes you're the one who killed Captain Haegan and goes hostile.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Magicken the Human Illusionist > Fighter level 10 - FINAL Update

Magicken Journal - Day 22 - penned by Jaheira

Magicken and I had just finished off Prebek and Sansha for my Harpers. We also tried to find Montaron, but found an assassin for Xzar instead - I'm sure he deserved what he got. Magicken had just changed his spell set to friends x3, so he didn't have his usual invisibilities. We were trying to go to the Promenade to get an expensive item at Ribald's to boost my strength - but were hit by an ambush! The ambushers didn't even seem to have any names! I went invisible with Ring of Air Control, and Magicken did Draw Upon Holy Might. After we had rested, Magicken had forgot to put up his stoneskin before we traveled - the fool! At least he was wearing his full plate. But I backed off and cast plague of Insects at the enemy  mage. To make sure I wasn't disrupted, Magicken got in mage's face - but the mage fired a lightning bolt at Magicken and it got 4 quick richochets and killed Magicken! Damn him! First Khalid, now this! I was too distraught and left the area...how will I rescue Imoen now? Without Magicken, I just don't know...

Baldr280_zps9394d2be.png

{Corey_Russell note: First time I've been killed in a random bandit ambush. I clearly should have waited and changed my spell set in the Promenade and travel invisible instead. So yet another arcane character of mine bites the dust - I just can't seem to keep my arcane guys alive. He had 75 HP, maybe a bit more with DUHM. Guess will go back to Corarcher who is still alive. Thanks everyone who was following this run.}

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Shocking news Corey ...

• Dogdancing, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Shocking news Corey ...

Indeed... :(

So yet another arcane character of mine bites the dust - I just can't seem to keep my arcane guys alive. 

May be they just need some tweaks of your regular fighting style? Nonetheless it was a great pleasure to follow Magicken's story.

• corey_russell likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Indeed... :(

May be they just need some tweaks of your regular fighting style? Nonetheless it was a great pleasure to follow Magicken's story.

I am uncertain. It's possible for my solo play I am heavily dependent on saving throws - that's not a human strong point. As a simple example, my only solo characters to make it to ToB have all been shorties - hmm, no not quite, Russell VII made it quite far into ToB as well... and he was human.

What happened in this ambush is actually new - e.g., I've never seen the bolt bounce so many times. Once, or twice at once not 4. I think the mage targets arcane characters, and in party play the first thing I do is get my mages far away, thus the bolt wouldn't bounce much. So that was different. It was quite a shock to me when it happened...

Really though, if I have a solo (or duo, which is very similar) I really just need to travel invisible if arcane - but it's easy for me to forget.

I'm glad you enjoyed Magicken's story - I enjoyed writing it. I enjoyed reading it myself even. It's not often I think of a character that lends itself to story. In Magicken's case, I thought that him wanting to be fighter, but was a mage for Gorion's sake was something different, and would be something to base a story on.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Shocking news Corey ...

At first I thought this was a strange thing to say, but couldn't put my finger on it. A few minutes later I got your double meaning - ha ha.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

At first I thought this was a strange thing to say, but couldn't put my finger on it. A few minutes later I got your double meaning - ha ha.

I was struck myself by the news... Seriously, my condolences for Magicken. You know Corey I really liked the character, and I wanted him to go much further than he eventually did. I really hope you can be bothered with more narrated playthroughs. Magicken's journal was a lot of fun to read.

As to your difficulties with keeping arcane characters alive, maybe you've got an interesting challenge there for yourself?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I was struck myself by the news... Seriously, my condolences for Magicken. You know Corey I really liked the character, and I wanted him to go much further than he eventually did. I really hope you can be bothered with more narrated playthroughs. Magicken's journal was a lot of fun to read.

As to your difficulties with keeping arcane characters alive, maybe you've got an interesting challenge there for yourself?

Yes I wanted him to go further than he did too. Oddly enough, this was the first NPC duo I have ever attempted. 

As for narrated/story type accounts, I suppose that depends what exactly I'm going for that run. E.g., am I just trying to get a trilogy no-reload success, or just doing a RP run? The goals may not necessarily be fully compatible. For example the "pure" RP run I did not too long ago, my team was badly equipped and under-leveled. The BG 1 no-reload worked for that run, but easily could have failed. For Magicken, for example, I did in fact do some things that weren't "ideal" but did so for the sake of the story. I could have dualed Magicken in the 1st Cloakwood area, but story-wise it made no sense to me. But dualing immediately after finding the Spider's Bane DID make story sense, so I wasted 6000 experience by delaying the dual until the in-game dual matched the dual I said I did in the story account. Also, doing Durlag's at level 4 was pretty insane, and from no-reload stand point I would not have attempted it, but did so for the story.

As for keeping arcane characters alive - a mage without buffs or with the wrong spell set for the encounter can easily die. It definitely is a challenge - I think I can get a mage through BG 1, but BG 2 has been the problem for my mages so far. I probably should attempt more pure mages, which I rarely do. The considerable # of creatures immune/resistant to magic in BG 2 kind of take the fun out of magic for me too (demons, mind flayers, dragons, golems, etc.). I agree arcane would be a challenge for myself.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

As for narrated/story type accounts, I suppose that depends what exactly I'm going for that run. E.g., am I just trying to get a trilogy no-reload success, or just doing a RP run? The goals may not necessarily be fully compatible. For example the "pure" RP run I did not too long ago, my team was badly equipped and under-leveled. The BG 1 no-reload worked for that run, but easily could have failed. For Magicken, for example, I did in fact do some things that weren't "ideal" but did so for the sake of the story. I could have dualed Magicken in the 1st Cloakwood area, but story-wise it made no sense to me. But dualing immediately after finding the Spider's Bane DID make story sense, so I wasted 6000 experience by delaying the dual until the in-game dual matched the dual I said I did in the story account. Also, doing Durlag's at level 4 was pretty insane, and from no-reload stand point I would not have attempted it, but did so for the story.

Like you I also usually go either for no-reload success (with optimal stats, convenient quest order and sttlement etc) or for almost purely roleplayed runs. The former runs sometimes get boring; the latter always end way too soon. Ideally I find a hybrid of the two one day.

As for keeping arcane characters alive - a mage without buffs or with the wrong spell set for the encounter can easily die. It definitely is a challenge - I think I can get a mage through BG 1, but BG 2 has been the problem for my mages so far. I probably should attempt more pure mages, which I rarely do. The considerable # of creatures immune/resistant to magic in BG 2 kind of take the fun out of magic for me too (demons, mind flayers, dragons, golems, etc.). I agree arcane would be a challenge for myself.

That's an interesting observation. I tend to find magic rather overpowered in the SoA part of BG2, though in ToB warriors and thieves catch up a bit again. You could consider another character that's part arcane and part warrior/thief? Either way I'm sure you'll find another interesting and challenging character...

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Blackraven said...

You could consider another character that's part arcane and part warrior/thief? Either way I'm sure you'll find another interesting and challenging character...

[/quote]

I've done a handful of thief/mages over the years. They are far too tricky for my play style, though. I've done countless variations of fighter/mages over the years, including duals. It's not usual for them to not even make it out of BG 1, but I've made plenty to BG 2 all the same. Most successful have been the fighter/illusionists for me, but none of them succeeded in the trilogy. A single class mage has potential to be very powerful in the later stages of BG 2, but that's only happened only once for me. Oddly enough, the single class mage I got the farthest was to the Beholder lair - his name was Lucky and he was a wild mage!

I'll work on Corarcher for now (who isn't RP run) - when that's over I'll give it some thought, and see if I the next one can be RP.

• ussnorway, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

I enjoyed the story corey... sorry m8.

• corey_russell, Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I think that we all enjoyed the story. Very well written.

• corey_russell and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.12,

Hear text as mp3,

Beginning to see the light; by Sarah,

I had to make myself useful to the Drow in order to avoid being hunted for sport so we; rescued a damsel in distress, fetched a Helmet, played the egg shuffle and even managed to free some slaves without alerting anyone but we cut our visit short and didn’t; play rope the Lich or fetch the Drow heart… we can still come back to poke the beholders in the eye and play mastermind with the squids another day.

2s-baldr070.jpg2s-baldr071.jpg

Sarah has sold the two-handed sword and carries a halberd now… mostly uses her bow,
Mazzy gets the vote for best improved and has three bastard swords to melee with… her single pip in in b-swords and two weapon fighting will need work but as she is a pure fighter that’s not a huge stress.
Puk and I each gained a level and can both cast level 7 spells which makes us the strongest party members.
Jan and Imoen both have a ways to go and if she wasn’t my sister… well she is, so that doesn’t matter.

2s-baldr072.jpg2s-baldr073.jpg2s-baldr074.jpg2s-baldr075.jpg

The elves want me to sort their problems for them but I’ve had enough of chasing after people for now and will probably take a ten-day or two to rest up and resupply first.

• Blackraven likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (update 5)

Toxic hasn't had much opportunity to show his paces lately, but has finished off his remaining chapter 2 & 3 work this morning without any alarms.  I should be able to crack on with him in the coming days.

He started the session by tracking down the illthid enclave.  He used deathblows with his hammer to clear the illithid without allowing them into contact - Alhoon was immune to greater deathblow, but that didn't help him much against a GWW.

While in the vicinity Toxic moved on to the Unseeing Eye quest.  Reinstating the bridge there got him to level 27 and he celebrated by using a greater deathblow GWW on the beholders there.  I'd intended to fry the undead in a sunray, but hadn't rested for a while, so they were just pummeled in a running fight (with one stop to regenerate while invisible).  After resting, more beholders evaporated in a greater deathblow GWW (level 28), while some blind priests proved surprisingly poor at fighting in a stinking cloud.  The Eye itself wondered briefly what animated a dancing sword before being disabled and diced by Toxic.  He waited briefly to pick up Ras before heading straight for the temple to return the Rift Device.  After a rest another greater deathblow GWW ensured none of Gaal's guards could escape (level 29), while Gaal himself was cut down by Stonefire.

The last of the major areas left was the Planar Sphere and Toxi whipped through that.  He used summons and his throwing hammer against spellcasters with maze capability (though Tolgerias was GWW'd while trying to cast True Sight) and his hammer against golems, but otherwise was normally in melee mode.  Activating the golem got him to level 30 and he soon picked up a demon heart.  After working through cold and fire rooms and engine room golems, making use of that heart to take a final trip in the Sphere got him to level 31 before he took Lavok out into the fresh air for the last time.  He carried out with him the Staff of Fire, which should be useful for taking on Melissan.

His penultimate target was the Guarded Compound.  After clearing the bottom floor he briefly showed himself upstairs to drag opponents down in 3 batches and they didn't last long.  Moving on to the Twisted Rune, he stopped off to grab the berserker horn with the help of a scroll of protection from magic.  After running back to his storage chest to get a rogue stone he entered the Rune area and used protection from undead immediately after talking with Shangalar - that made finishing off the others with GWWs even simpler.

Toxic upgraded the horn and checked equipment before setting sail.  He's just arrived in Brynnlaw and taught some ambushing vampires a lesson (level 32).

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Bg2 run update 2S1.13,

Hear text as mp3,

Trolling Trolling Trolling; by Sarah,

We say goodbye to the elves and had a good look at our gear, Sarah wanted a better bow and remembered a legend about rangers entombing one in the Tethir forest. We walked flat footed into a Giff ambush which could have got nasty but we popped the ‘cannon fodder’ summons and retreated up a tree branch for distance then punished anything trying to follow us… I’m not sure what they really wanted… said something about a silver sword?

2s-baldr076.jpg2s-baldr077.jpg

Not long after the ambush, Sarah found her bow and we said hi to another Ranger party also looking for a weapon… “What’s that, a pink hammer? No sorry but we know where there is a vamp if you want to help us smite it?

2s-baldr078.jpg

2s-baldr079.jpg2s-baldr080.jpg

Puk likes his mace but remembered that kid saying something about a frail at her besieged keep so we trekked that way to find Trolls had taken up squatting… tuff critters, if you let them get into melee, they can be a problem but they aren’t real bright and any kind of acid | mental magic buggers them up. The spirit types can be a little problematic but ‘Cloudkill’ or ‘Deathfog’ takes them out of action fast… only the main boss made it out of the room alive and he didn’t stand long against our combined firepower.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (update 6)

An early-morning session saw Toxic into and almost out of the Underdark pretty much without incident.

The session started at Brynnlaw where Toxic attacked Perth with a GWW, but a single hit was enough anyway.  After a few rejections Toxic accepted Wyvern Call from his book.

Moving on to Spellhold Toxic talked twice to the demon to avoid giving up any attribute points then went to find a long-desired bag of holding.  He worked through the first level of Spellhold with no problems - getting to level 33 by reading the enchanted book (the lich that killed a recent character of mine died in a GWW featuring a first use of the FoA before being destroyed).  On the second level, GWWing some golems guarding a bow string got him to level 34 before he was outfitted with a couple of pairs of elemental protection boots. 

Lonk didn't survive a GWW and Toxic moved on to confront Irenicus.  He was also given a few quick blows during a GWW before Toxic retreated to wait for him to realise he was mortally injured (level 35).

After taking ship, Toxic arrived in Fish City.  He successfully avoided the maze traps near the spectator before convincing it to allow him to open the chest.  After acquiring a new cloak he killed the king for the prince and then evened things up by granting the prince the distinction of the shortest reign in history (level 36).

In the Underdark Toxic used some summons to distract a group of drow, though greater deathblow didn't leave many enemies anyway.  Clearing some passageways of kuo-toa took Toxic to level 37.  The prince's bracers are not useable by him, but he picked up a useful belt by using his hammer to GWW some death knights.  A hammer GWW also accounted for a balor in the deep gnome village while Ras was providing a distraction.

A couple of GWWs dealt with the elder orb at the entrance to the beholder hive and Toxic worked his way through there just far enough to pick up the Greenstone Amulet (level 38).  He was more thorough with the illithids, cleaning everything out (ensuring he was never attacked by more than one illithid at once) on the way to the Master Brain (which, surprisingly, appeared to be susceptible to greater deathblow).  Releasing all the slaves was enough to maximise his XP, so he'll be a bit more sparing in his encounters from now on.

Toxic offered Simyaz the Silver Sword; he wanted more, but ended up with less.  After talking to Adalon Toxic entered the Drow city (only just resisting the temptation to boast about his visit to the dragon) and did a quick bit of shopping.

On the way to rescue Phaere he came across an ambush and ducked into Adalon's cave while waiting for Nashtar's mislead to expire - then GWW'd him before he had a chance to cast maze.  Deathblow then made saving Phaere easy and Toxic quickly completed her required tasks before watching her crisped by a demon.

Given that Toxic is evil I decided he should kill Adalon - a couple of GWWs did the job there before the dragon could get around to breathing. 

• ussnorway likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Toxic{2} - dwarf kensai (7th and final update)

I made the mistake of trying another session today and a lack of concentration from me combined with some AI cheese resulted in Toxic paying the price.

He left the Underdark invisibly and fobbed off the elves and Drizzt before returning to Athkatla.  He handed over the Silver Sword to Kruin before checking his stored equipment and forging Crom Faeyr and the Equalizer.  He'd also intended to forge the Wave, but found he was missing the blade for that - I obviously missed picking that up from Fish City.  He did though get the flesh armour made just to double-check that he couldn't use that (he couldn't).

Back in Athkatla he went to sort out Bodhi and the vampires using the iMoD.  On the way to Suldanesselar he returned to Watcher's Keep and ventured down on to the second level in order to pick up the poison flail head.

At the elven city he quickly moved through that, avoiding combat where possible.  He took the precaution of using a protection from acid scroll before engaging Nizi, but the dragon died on only his second hammer GWW anyway after being distracted by summons.  He raised the Avatar to help cleanse the city of enemies before resting and moving on to the Tree.

Jon just managed to beat off the succession of Kitthix, the efreeti and the wyvern while Toxic remained at a safe distance.  That resulted in a very rare appearance for the berserk warrior to help finish him off.

Arriving in hell I made an immediate mistake when mis-clicking on the conversation with the first demon - resulting in Toxic fighting the dragon without having prepared.  Summoning Ras or using hardiness would probably have been his best option, but he tried overwhelming the dragon with GWWs.  That looked like it was going to work easily enough when Toxic quickly went through its stoneskin and started doing damage.  Unfortunately the game then slowed down drastically, but particularly for Toxic himself - that seems to be a common problem with dragon fights.  As a result, despite using GWWs, the dragon was attacking rather more often than he was and it looked like it would be touch and go who would die first.  I should have just kept attacking and hoped to win the race, but instead opted to feed Toxic a potion of speed and try and run round.  However, even with boots and potion of speed he was still no match for the dragon's speed and 3 more hits in less than a round saw his challenge fail.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Moving on to Spellhold Toxic talked twice to the demon to avoid giving up any attribute points

How does that work?