Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Just wondering if the game cheats as far as Rijek Hidesman is concerned.

In the Bridge Street, he was near death, I webbed him and he afterwards received a LOT of damage yet he didn't die. :angry:

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Just wondering if the game cheats as far as Rijek Hidesman is concerned.

In the Bridge Street, he was near death, I webbed him and he afterwards received a LOT of damage yet he didn't die. :angry:

@Wise: As you are probably aware, there are certain characters in-game who have a special belt that prevents death - Imoen has one in the starting dungeon, which is why she never dies there, no matter what. Clearly, the game intends for you to not actually kill him, as he makes his escape and you meet his supporter, which you need to know for the flesh armor quest. Perhaps Reijek has one. I suppose someone with the Near Infinity program might be able to find out for certain...

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

@Wise: As you are probably aware, there are certain characters in-game who have a special belt that prevents death - Imoen has one in the starting dungeon, which is why she never dies there, no matter what. Clearly, the game intends for you to not actually kill him, as he makes his escape and you meet his supporter, which you need to know for the flesh armor quest. Perhaps Reijek has one. I suppose someone with the Near Infinity program might be able to find out for certain...

Just checked. Hidesman does indeed wear "Imoen's belt" (as the item is called). I believe there's only one way to kill him, and Arkanis Gath and whoever else wears that belt: intelligence drain through Mind Flayer shapechange as per the lvl 9 wizard spell. Personally I've never bothered with trying, but it's what I've read. 

I believe one of the bonus merchants (probably Joluv) sells a Wakizashi that drains WIS (forgot how it's called. That blade might also work.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I didn't realise that it was her belt that stopped her dying. I once tried a character who had remove curse as one of his spells in order to remove that belt. It didn't work. Now I know why. I could have worn it myself and won every game.

Thinking about it, probably the guy who loves Saerileth and kills the demon must be wearing one.

I have always taken unkillable characters as a challenge, so managed to kill  the Demonknight at the top of Durlag's Tower and Tazok in BG1.

I was trying to do the same here.

By delaying the quest until I was stronger, I did once manage to kill the Rakasha who gave the lamp to Kalah. With that you just need very heavy damage at just the right time.

On a completely different topic: I discovered that by collecting the silver pantaloons and my rep plunging to 2, I got attacked by the law twice. Before the second attack my rep was 2 and killing them didn't lower it further. I am wondering if I had not raised my reputation, would they have continued to spawn every time I went into the copper coronet to recover, and if so, is it always the same size of force or does the game make it larger if you keep killing them.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

If your reputation is very low squads of guards will keep on respawning - not just in the Copper Coronet.  The game becomes a pain to play in that situation with a party, which is a major drawback with role playing evil.

• Blackraven likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

On the other hand you get a LOT of gold for selling their armour, which in turn gives you the gold to raise your reputation.

That is what happened with me without realising what was happening.

Perhaps I should have slept and gone out to kill them a few more times just for the gold and experience.

I could then have bought some of the expensive equipment. :)

I am pleased that I role played it as I thought that my Blackguard would have. I got a few thousand gold rather than the tens of thousands that I could have received if I hadn't raised my reputation.

Their attacks could certainly be exploited.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Just checked. Hidesman does indeed wear "Imoen's belt" (as the item is called). I believe there's only one way to kill him, and Arkanis Gath and whoever else wears that belt: intelligence drain through Mind Flayer shapechange as per the lvl 9 wizard spell. Personally I've never bothered with trying, but it's what I've read. 

I believe one of the bonus merchants (probably Joluv) sells a Wakizashi that drains WIS (forgot how it's called. That blade might also work.

There's one more way to kill Gath, very similar in terms of execution. A thief with UAI (use any item) HLA (or I guess Haer'Dalis) would be able to use one of  Haer'Dalis short swords, which drains DEX on hit I believe - fast hits with that (say GWW) and Gath can die.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Blade of Kaos

Keldorn was threatening to kill Viconia so I had to finish the Beholder quest quickly. It was no problem, so I took Keldorn to speak to Sir William thorne. Problem solved.

Having most of the party drow is a definite advantage as the mages are not very effective.

Neither were the beholders. I found a 50% protection from magic item, the first time that I have come across it. Add that to 50% magic resistance and the beholders and the like were no longer powerful.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Diary of Blade of Kaos

Keldorn was threatening to kill Viconia so I had to finish the Beholder quest quickly. It was no problem, so I took Keldorn to speak to Sir William thorne. Problem solved.

Having most of the party drow is a definite advantage as the mages are not very effective.

Neither were the beholders. I found a 50% protection from magic item, the first time that I have come across it. Add that to 50% magic resistance and the beholders and the like were no longer powerful.

100% magic resistance? That does sound powerful. Keep in mind imprisonment bypasses magic resistance, so the elder orb in the Beholder's lair (not unseeing eye) and the one in the Hell Tear trial can also do it, so you still gotta keep your wits about ya.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

I found a 50% protection from magic item, the first time that I have come across it. 

What item did you find?

I agree with Corey that 50% is powerful (the only item I know that grants such copious MR is Carsomyr). 
Depending on your install, certain enemies are also likely to lower your MR (especially with SCS).

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Whilst going to try and find Illithium, we almost accidentally defeated the Shade Lord.

Now should I try and kill the dragon or wait until later?

The item is called: "Ring of etheria."

I haven't come across it before so suspect that it came from a mod. (didn't need the shield of cheese)

Looked the ring up on the web and no results.

I am seriously considering not using it with a drow party. Either that or restrict its use to non-drow party members.

However, I hadn't come across the Silver pantaloons before either. So that proves nothing.

EDIT

I didn't try the dragon, but went to the Umar Hills. Before getting to the village I was asked to rescue a boy who had gone adventuring in nearby Trollford.

Now where have I heard that plot before?

There are orcs, ogres, ankheg and cyclops galore and I am still on the surface.

It might have been wiser to collect the experience in the Umar Hills before setting off into the unknown.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

I am seriously considering not using it with a drow party. Either that or restrict its use to non-drow party members.

I understand, but in a vanilla party with Viconia, I would be inclined to equip it on her if I found that ring... It's nice to have one character with hihg MR and good saves to soak up spells. (Though you could of course use potions and summons for that as well.)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

I understand, but in a vanilla party with Viconia, I would be inclined to equip it on her if I found that ring... It's nice to have one character with hihg MR and good saves to soak up spells. (Though you could of course use potions and summons for that as well.)

I'm of like mind Blackraven. Using vanilla BG 2 (and install) it is possible to get Viconia to 100% - ring of Gaxx (2) - 20%, Ust Natha amulet of MR - 10%, Flesh Armor - 20%. I once had Viconia like this and had big plans for her, but I clicked to move and instead Viconia talked to me that instant, and it was the BIG convo and she left me, so I didn't get to use her MR after all...that was Guttax my Cleric/Ranger...he had too many characters get chunked so he couldn't survive Melissan.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

it was the BIG convo and she left me, so I didn't get to use her MR after all...that was Guttax my Cleric/Ranger...he had too many characters get chunked so he couldn't survive Melissan.

I remember. That was not so long ago I think. Surely a devastating blow: no-reloading your way not just through the game but also the romance (at least almost), and then losing the loved one who was also a crucial member of the party (equipped with extremely valuable gear)... and later the final battle.

• corey_russell likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

As a drow, Blade of Kaos has 100% magical resistance with the ring. Surely much safer than having Viconia with 100% MR. The same goes for Yasraena. She currently has 73% MR even without the ring.

Of course there may be reasons why it is available as I haven't yet met the big bosses of the mods.

i have had to fight my way past Frost Giants, but they aren't the big bosses in Trollford!

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Ay Grimwald, I hope all will go well with all those mods of yours.
I messed up with my BGT install when I uninstalled Hard Times and installed Amber NPC (only because it allows for an upgrade of the Blade of Roses). This morning started a new install and got error notifications in the process. Will have to start anew tonight or tomorrow. :(
I interpret it as the game telling me to reduce my number of mods to an absolute minimum...

• Grimwald the Wise and Aasim like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corarcher Update:

Corarcher has solved the druid grove problems - Paja dualed Faldorn and won the fight. There was a momentary lapse of concentration though - in real life, my wife was laughing hysterically by her computer - I looked over there, forgetting that I was in a battle with trolls, and soon to be shadow druids. The shadow druid cast horror - and everyone but Hanna failed their save!

Baldr284_zps2578efb0.png

Hanna got busy unloading her single target direct damage spells on the mage - the mage did eventually go down, but not before inflicting damage - perhaps skull trap.

Baldr285_zpsb379c674.png

We got a GREAT piece of news when we reported to the Mayor of Trademeet - Hanna got to level 11 and unlocked her Swashbuckler abilities! We can now do some of the things in the bridge district now that she can de-trap and unlock things. Since I made a big mistake, will call it a night and try again when I can concentrate better.

• Blackraven likes this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Happy Baldur Year Corey, and congrats on Corarcher's progress

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Happy Baldur Year Corey, and congrats on Corarcher's progress

Thanks - same to you as well.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Ay Grimwald, I hope all will go well with all those mods of yours.
I messed up with my BGT install when I uninstalled Hard Times and installed Amber NPC (only because it allows for an upgrade of the Blade of Roses). This morning started a new install and got error notifications in the process. Will have to start anew tonight or tomorrow. :(
I interpret it as the game telling me to reduce my number of mods to an absolute minimum...

All the best with your new installation Blackraven.

So far in BG2 no problems with my installation despite being heavily modded.

The big boss in Trollford did not turn out to be big at all.

It was Marilith who was nowhere near the same problem as the Marilith in the Drizzt Saga.

Happy New Year everyone.

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corarcher's Team has cleared out the 1st level of Watcher's Keep without any trouble - Hanna's excellent thief skills were invaluable here. There are some things we have been delaying like the Bridge District and also D'Arnise Keep - now that Hanna has her thief abilities we can deal with them, so will do so soon.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Couldn't believe where this run came to an end! It is the first time in years that I have been beaten picking up the dragon shield and sword.

I realised that I had the wrong spells memorised. No problem. Went to sleep. A skeleton knight awoke us.

Again no problem. Went to pick up his gear and accidentally triggered the spawn of the bad guys before any buffing done.

I didn't think it would be a problem but it was.

Somehow Blade of Kaos was affected by a spell that put him out of action, stun or something similar.

The others were unable to protect him.

Looking back, Nalia should just have cast web so that Blade couldn't be attacked whilst the spell on him wore off.

End of run and my own fault. :( :blush:

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Wise: Sorry to hear about your character demise.

Corarcher, on the other hand, is still going. He's cleared up the issues in the bridge district, except the lich and the Twisted Rune Hide-out. He's also cleared out the graveyard district, using a pro undead scroll to conserve on heal potions. The team has just arrived at D'Arnise Keep and will be investigating this place next.

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Thanks Grimwald, all the best for you in 2015 as well. And sorry about BoK :(
Hopefully your next character and my new Bounty Hunter will make it into Amn to succeed where there predecessors failed.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Just doing a new installation and have actually got SCS to work.

The answer to the problem is found here, just in case anybody else has problems installing SCS in Tutu:

http://gibberlings3....ic=25893&page=5