Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 73 - (update 4)
Eyesore, gnome illusionist (Grond0) & Danya, elf fighter/mage (Gate70)
A fair amount of progress today, though at a cost of 1 death for Danya, one close call for Eyesore and one bizarre passage of play following an imprisonment ...
At the Planar Prison things started off well with the Bounty Hunters being dealt with quickly. Umber hulks and thralls along the way caused no real problems, but the same couldn't be said about the Master of Thralls. He paralysed the attacking Danya and finished him off before Eyesore could do anything about it. After a first use for the Rod of Resurrection Danya tried again - and got paralysed again. However, this time there were some better quality summons in play - which was fortunate when Eyesore was also paralysed shortly afterwards. The game would probably have ended at that point if Kitthix had not come up trumps with a successful web, but that provided enough breathing space for both characters to recover. That wasn't the end of the story though as Danya was paralysed for a third time and there was then a race against time to see whether Eyesore and the summons could kill the demon before it could drain him of life - they could. The Warden proved much easier after its buffs were dispelled - its attempted mislead proving ineffective as it was already dead.
Starting in on the main quest the duo saw off Lassal and the Guild Contact before invading the vampire hide-out. Tanova was well and truly crisped by a sunray and Danya made short work of the vampires downstairs before Bodhi failed to deal with summons quickly enough and had to flee a series of heavy blows from Daystar.
After sailing to Brynnlaw Perth reacted too slowly to an assault to get any buffs up. He left behind a book of true seeing. There were no real problems in Spellhold, though Danya did have to rely on summons finishing off a mind flayer quickly after being stunned. The undead were led by a greater mummy, which proved easy pickings. Eyesore got a pair of Boots of Speed there to allow him to keep up with Danya.
After emerging into the asylum the duo chose to fight Lonk - that proved to be quite difficult and both were wounded before the confrontation with Jon. He survived an initial assault and clung on long enough to do more damage before Aphril finally saw him off with a mundane magic missile.
After taking ship with Saemon the duo found some Githyanki attacking. However, the captain got stuck on the gang plank and all his followers died before he eventually got free to signal the break-up of the ship.
In the City of Caverns the Cloak of Mirroring was a prize on the way to find the Prince. He was promoted to king - but only briefly.
In the Underdark some ambushing drow were softened up by area damage on the way to deal with a balor. Vithal was then freed from prison and aided to raid the elemental planes before coming under fire. However, he had apparently spent all his time in jail scribing time stop scrolls as the battle progressed something like the following:
- 1st time stop and Danya imprisoned.
- 2nd time stop and summons Wilted.
- Vithal affected by chaos, but that didn't stop him casting a 3rd time stop.
- Eyesore releases Danya from imprisonment and Vithal reacts with a 4th time stop.
- still clinging to life Vithal creates a Gate before immediately producing a 5th time stop.
- Vithal then appeared to dimension door away, but the damage was done with the pit fiend attacking Danya and turning her hostile.
- after finishing off the other opposition I thought it would be a good idea to kill Danya to reset her status effects. Gate70 though pointed out (very patiently in the circumstances) that Danya was no longer in the party and death would be, well, death.
- Eyesore tried charming Danya, but she was bearing the Shield of Harmony, so that couldn't work. Finally he resorted to petrifying her. That still left him with a hostile statue, but saving and reloading at that point just left the normal neutral stone and a scroll later Danya was welcomed back into the party.
The final action of the session was clearing the kuo-toa tunnels. The duo were unable to do damage quick enough to cope with the prince's regeneration initially, but a spot of tadpole tainting did the trick.
Eyesore, illusionist 16, 77 HPs (incl. 7 from ioun stone), 433 kills
Danya, fighter 12 / mage 13, 110 HPs, 584 kills, 1 death