Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Arkona, Halfling Barbarian: Never Mind the Bollocks- The Shade Lich

Ok. This battle happened a few days ago. I honestly don't remember the details. I didn't take notes. All I have are the screen shots. And while I know how I play -and therefore can infer what was going on from the pictures- this battle defies any attempt to impose reason on it. It was just sort of crazy.

That said, I know how I think as a player. I know what I do when things get crazy. Have you ever seen Finding Nemo? You know Dory, Nemo's sidekick? Just Keep Swimming? Well, that's it. That's what I do: I just keep swimming.

The Shade Lich opened with a Wish Improved Alacrity Double Length Time Stop. These suck. And the worst thing about them is that you can't keep swimming when time is stopped. Fortunately, Arkona was invisible and untargettable here, sparring her some punishment.

Spoiler

Shade Lich drops a Planetar. Just keep swimming!

Spoiler

Shade Lich drops a Comet. Quaff a Potion of Fire Resistance with the Helm of Defense and Dragonshield equipped. And just keep swimming! (Btw. I love how Sassar is just chilling through all this...)

Spoiler

Shade Lich drops another Planetar. Wait: What? Never mind: Just keep swimming!

Spoiler

Enchantment stuff en route. Activate Rage. And just keep swimming! (Btw. I love how Sassar is just chilling through all this...)

Spoiler

Shade Lich starts summoning demons. Just keep swimming!

Spoiler

Punk the demons with Seeking. And just keep swimming!

Spoiler

Planetars are gone. Phew! The lich is out of ProMWs. Just stop swimming. And start killing. Arrow of Dispelling->Arrow of Dispelling->Azuredge

Spoiler

Hooray! We did it! Onto the next lich.

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Arkona, Halfling Barbarian: The Elemental Lich

The Elemental Lich wasn't difficult. Arkona is a halfling who wears the Helm of Defense, the Claw of the Kazgaroth, the Cloak of Displacement, the Belt of Inertial Barrier, and a RoP +2. She keeps the Reflex, the Shield Amulet, the Dragonshield, Arvoreen, Dragonslayer, and a fat stack of defensive potions, including Potion of Fire Resistance and Potions of Insulation at the ready. Her saves are all negative, with her weakest save being death at -2. How can a mage kill her? Comets? Dragons Breath? Potion of Fire Resistance + item resistances. Next.  Wilting? With a barbarian HP total, the BoIB and negative saves? No. Sphere of Chaos. Foiled by saves. ATweaks demons? They get one hit nixed with Death Blows. Chain Lightning Triggers? Potion of Insulation + item resistance. Not happening. Power Word: Stun. Arvoreen. Flame Arrow Triggers? The Reflex. Skull Trap Triggers? BoIB + Potion of Magic Shielding, if need be. Magic Missiles? The Shield Amulet. In the end, mages are left with Chromatic Orbs, Melf's Acid Arrows, and Melf's Minute Meteors. That's the stuff that gets through. So long as Arkona is patient, so long a she reserves her aura and monitors incoming spell effects. Those are the threats. And they're not that threatening.

But there is one way that a mage could become dangerous, aside from gross negligence. Malison->Fallen Planetar->Demon Festival. Post Malison Arkona's save v death is 2. Rage can cover the Stinking Cloud threat. Potions of Invulnerability and Rage can cover the demon disabler threats. But the Planetar weapon vorpals at death -2 and, importantly, it dispels, meaning Potions of Invulnerability aren't reliable. Planetars don't have ranged weapons though. And they're slow. They can be avoided easily. Unless the field of battle becomes crowded- unless movement becomes difficult. If you see Malison on Arkona's character portrait, and you see a Planetar, and you see a crowded battle field where movement could be difficult, then Arkona is in danger. Otherwise, you can rightly assume that she's in control no matter how dire things look.

​The Elemental Lich never got close to completing the puzzle. He brought none of those elements into play. He went quietly.

Time Stop. Removes. He wanted to make way for a Dragon's Breath.

Spoiler

But Dragon's Breaths aren't dangerous. The animation is too slow. If you've reserved your aura there is plenty of time to drink one of Adratha's home brew Potions of Fire Resistance. Arkona drank her potion, stayed calm and nixed the Simmy lich with Azuredge.

Spoiler

Soon after, it was the real lich's turn. 

Spoiler

No Malison; No Planetar; No Mordy Sword/Demon Festival = No Chance. Liches got's to learn.

Best,

A.

• The Potty 1, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 2 others like this

GrimJim

GrimJim
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I'm going to go back to primarily being a lurker and just chipping in with little tidbits as appropriate. Such as...

SCS v30 mages are scripted to act like the Reflection Shield stops Flame Arrows, but if you've installed the component that buffs Protection from Normal Missiles, it actually doesn't. 

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Thumbs up on the ATweaks Bhaalspawn powers, BTW: They're balanced and enjoyable.

I agree with that for the good powers - they're based on the vanilla ones, but scale upwards with levels.  The first and third evil powers are also well done, but cause affliction is a major disappointment.  That's vastly less useful than horror and effectively scales in the wrong direction - it allows a saving throw that higher level enemies will make nearly all the time.  If there were no saving throw, or a saving throw that only allowed a reduction in damage, it would be a bit better balanced.

• Alesia_BH and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I agree with that for the good powers - they're based on the vanilla ones, but scale upwards with levels.  The first and third evil powers are also well done, but cause affliction is a major disappointment.  That's vastly less useful than horror and effectively scales in the wrong direction - it allows a saving throw that higher level enemies will make nearly all the time.  If there were no saving throw, or a saving throw that only allowed a reduction in damage, it would be a bit better balanced.

Noted. I've never tried the evil ones. Thanks for the perspective!

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Everyone (But especially CKT): What happened to Sir Gawain? Is he still active? Did I miss a final post?

@Corey: Do you think you'll start a new run this weekend?

Best,

A.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Everyone (But especially CKT): What happened to Sir Gawain? Is he still active? Did I miss a final post?

@Corey: Do you think you'll start a new run this weekend?

Best,

A.

Alesia, I'm not sure what you mean. Corthief V, the group of human berserkers, who will dual to thief in BG 2 is still alive. His group is level 6 at the moment, clearing out the last of Pre-Chapter 4 areas (excluding Durlag's). I've been distracted by real life issues of late, especially my 8 year old daughter wanting to spend a lot of time with me, so there hasn't been a lot of time for the run lately. I'll get to it when I can.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Corthief V, the group of human berserkers, who will dual to thief in BG 2 is still alive.

Oops!

Sorry: Corthief V slipped my mind.

Have fun with the fam!

Best.

A.

• corey_russell and Grimwald the Wise like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Jardik the Axe is now in Irenicus' Dungeon and is going to go carefully with the help of his side-kick Imoen. Yes I know she thinks that I'm HER side-kick, but TOUGH! She's wrong. :D

• corey_russell and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

@Alesia: Concerning your question about Sir Gawain, CKT was greatly affected by his character's alignment change to evil. For a meta-gamer, this would only be a minor hiccup. But CKT was role-playing his way through BG, so perhaps he just didn't have the heart/stomach to continue playing an evil Sir Gawain, even if technically he didn't die. Guess we won't know for sure, and have to wait until CKT posts next..

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

@Alesia: Concerning your question about Sir Gawain, CKT was greatly affected by his character's alignment change to evil...perhaps he just didn't have the heart/stomach to continue playing an evil Sir Gawain

Yes. I recall the discussion. And that explanation had occurred to me. I was wondering whether we had a definitive answer though- whether I had missed a post, or if someone had received word.

I guess we'll just have to wait for CKT.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Quick Note on Arkona's Game:

Arkona has arrived in Hell.

Screen%20capture%20232_zps2raerezm.jpg

She'll face-off with Jonicus this evening.

Current character record and inventory

Screen%20capture%20235_zpsa0330sj7.jpg

Screen%20capture%20234_zpsghn7whcj.jpg

Best,

A.

• corey_russell and Serg BlackStrider like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

For the record, I'd fully support allowing CKT to ShadowKeeper Sir Gawain back to Lawful Good if it made him happy.

That might be a questionable call in the general case, but Sir Gawain -CKT -the effort he put into role playing the adventure -the arbitrariness of the vanilla hell trials: extraordinary circumstances. Sir Gawain is Lawful Good: that's how he has played, that's what he is. Let the character record show it.

Let Sir Gawain play: Let Sir Gawain be Sir Gawain.

Best,

A.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

For the record, I'd fully support allowing CKT to ShadowKeeper Sir Gawain back to Lawful Good if it made him happy.

That might be a questionable call in the general case, but Sir Gawain -CKT -the effort he put into role playing the adventure -the arbitrariness of the vanilla hell trials: extraordinary circumstances. Sir Gawain is Lawful Good: that's how he has played, that's what he is. Let the character record show it.

Let Sir Gawain play: Let Sir Gawain be Sir Gawain.

Best,

A.

The rules do allow mods - we can call it the "Restore Sir Gawain to Lawful Good" mod. Since the change does not entail significant tactical changes (alignment is not relevant for a no-reload success), I also support Alesia's suggestion.

• Alesia_BH, AnonymousHero and Blackraven like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Hey Alesia, you've caught up with Arkona, nice!

Have fun in hell! (Nice to able to say such a thing and to mean well when doing so.)

As to Lord Gawain, CKT hasn't been online for a couple of weeks, but for someone whose About Me says Army officer working in the Pentagon.  Married, six children, I think that's understandable. I trust and I hope that we'll hear more from CKT's hero soon.

If however CKT, you're seriously considering abandoning your run, please let us know, that we might convince you to push on :)

Edit: I already suggested to CKT that he Shadowkeeper his character's alignment. I wouldn't even object if it gave him a certain tactical benefit (such as the ability to use a certain item or recruit a certain NPC) because the credibility of Gawain story is imo more important. So, I'm with Alesia and Corey.

• Alesia_BH likes this

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Those are some options that have worked for me. Would anyone else like to share beholder tactics for those on a low cheese diet?

There are very few (regardless of install) -- after all Beholders are basically the DM's "I win" enemy for use in cases where the DM gets pissed off at the players. As such, Bioware realized that Beholders needed nerfing to serve game design (which is true) and "nerfed" them by giving players the Shield of Balduran (which was a bad and/or unimaginative "solution").

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and (without having any insight into the game script code), I think that the Spell Shield thing would almost have to be intentional just to give characters without a shield slot a fighting chance.

• Alesia_BH likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and (without having any insight into the game script code), I think that the Spell Shield thing would almost have to be intentional just to give characters without a shield slot a fighting chance.

Many people suspect it was intentional.  We can't know, though.

I alway found it interesting that the first guaranteed Spell Shield scroll is in Carlig's inventory, and that he hides it from drow.

Whether the original game behavior was intentional or not, I found that it had a desirable effect on game balance.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Quick Note on Arkona's Game:

Despite one scary moment -in which all four of Jonicus's demonic allies simultaneously Teleported Without Error to Arkona immediately following a Jonicus Time Stop...

Screen%20capture%20246_zpsjm1j7j2w.jpg

Arkona and her sling have prevailed.

Screen%20capture%20260_zpsuhvmrcwj.jpg

Screen%20capture%20272_zpsi7oc8lkf.jpg

While I'm eager to move Arkona along into ToB, I'll make a point of getting her updates caught up with her progress first. I need to cover Kangaxx, Spellhold, the Underdark, Bodhi, Suldanessellar, and Hell. It'll take some time. But hopefully she'll be fought up by tomorrow afternoon.

Good hunting everyone!

Best,

A. 

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Now that I think about it, Alesia, Barbarian is kind of the perfect warrior for you. They are natively fast, and you love movement rate advantages over your opponents - with most opponents you wouldn't even need boots of speed. The only other class that is fast are monks, but they can't use reflection shield so they aren't really your style. The Barbarian's limit to splint mail is only a minor problem, since your usual policy is to not get hit, or if you do expect to get hit, be fully buffed first - for those few occasions, potions of defense or invulnerability potions are quite service-able. In BG 2, the Shadow Dragon armor is excellent AC (which I see you are using), so it's not much a problem there.

• Alesia_BH and Grimwald the Wise like this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Now that I think about it, Alesia, Barbarian is kind of the perfect warrior for you. They are natively fast, and you love movement rate advantages over your opponents - with most opponents you wouldn't even need boots of speed. The only other class that is fast are monks, but they can't use reflection shield so they aren't really your style.

You've got it.

Rage is an important part of the equation too: It amps up damage from Seeking, while buttressing disabler defenses. The resistances are relevant as well.

The Barbarian's limit to splint mail is only a minor problem, since your usual policy is to not get hit, or if you do expect to get hit, be fully buffed first

Right. While Arkona's AC isn't great, barbarian resistances + the Defender + Hardiness will grant her 80% resistance to physical damage.

When those resistances are combined with the Ring of Gaxx and an upgraded Foebane, Arkona will become very tough in melee.

Niz, for example, did about 5 damage per hit in melee against Arkona. Foebane heals 4 damage per hit, and Arkona's APR will typically be higher or equivalent to that of her opponents. Factor in the Ring of Gaxx -and Arkona's formidable barbarian HP total- and you have one tough warrior. 

The Barbarian's limit to splint mail is only a minor problem, since your usual policy is to not get hit, or if you do expect to get hit, be fully buffed first - for those few occasions, potions of defense or invulnerability potions are quite service-able. In BG 2, the Shadow Dragon armor is excellent AC (which I see you are using), so it's not much a problem there.

Arkona wears Shadow Dragon Armor for the acid resistance more than the AC. Unenchanted studded leather + Bracers of AC 3 + Cloak of Protection will grant the same AC benefits as the Shadow Dragon Armor, but the Shadow Dragon Armor rounds out Arkona's resistances. Wearing the Helm of Defense, the Shadow Dragon Armor, and the BoIB, with good path immunities, Arkona enjoys 40% resistance to fire, cold and electricity along with 50% resistance to acid and magic damage. Gaxx provides 100% resistance to poison damage. 

Putting it all together, she's a formidable warrior. She's super fast and she can deal devastating damage at range with strength 25 Seeking Whirlwinds. Enemies have to close to damage her, because of the Reflex, but if they do close, they encounter 80% physical resistance, Ring of Gaxx regeneration, and -soon- constant Foebane Laroch's Minor Drains. Mages face rock bottom saves, substantial base resistances, a huge potion collection, and dispelling arrows. Arkona will be hard to stop.

Best,

A.

PS: Just a further note on the Shadow Dragon Armor. Arkona has multiple item configurations. Let's focus on the bracer slot, the cloak slot, and the armor slot since those are interrelated. Her preferred configurations are:

Studded Leather, Bracers of AC 3, Cloak of Protection +2

Splint Mail, Bracers of AC 3, Cloak of Protection + 2

Shadow Dragon Armor, Gauntlets of Weapons Expertise, Cloak of Displacement

All three configurations have the same base AC.

The splint and studded leather setups are similar. Splint is preferred against crushers, otherwise studded leather. In comparison to the Shadow Dragon Armor setup, both offer a save v spells bonus of 2, via the CoP.

What the Shadow Dragon Armor configuration offers is 50% acid resistance, +1 THACO, +2 Damage and a save v spell penalty of -2 (since the Cloak of Displacement must be used instead of the Cloak of Protection +2.).

The Shadow Dragon Armor also has the merit of matching Arkona's portrait. That's important to me.

• corey_russell likes this

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

You've got it.

Rage is an important part of the equation too: It amps up damage from Seeking, while buttressing disabler defenses. The resistances are relevant as well.

(Sorry, quoting in these forums sucks. I hope I didn't misquote anyone.)

I think one of the more interesting aspects of SCS is that it explicitly tries to avoid imprisoning the PC[1]. I do wonder how that would influence me towards installing "smarter X" vs. not installing -- when I know that "X" in the vanilla game would throw out Imprisonment like candy. (No, not Kangaxx... I'm thinking of Elder Orbs and such.)

[1] It doesn't have the same compunction about charm (which also ends the game), but you can actually defend against that without being a mage-type.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

I think one of the more interesting aspects of SCS is that it explicitly tries to avoid imprisoning the PC[1]. I do wonder how that would influence me towards installing "smarter X" vs. not installing -- when I know that "X" in the vanilla game would throw out Imprisonment like candy. (No, not Kangaxx... I'm thinking of Elder Orbs and such.)

There is a customization option which permits you to enable the AI to use Imprisonment on the PC, if you prefer.

I always assume elder orbs are capable of casting imprisonment and don't fight them unless I'm protected. 

The same goes for high level mages: I assume they are capable of casting Imprisonment and stay out of touch range.

If SCS mages were to aggressively use Imprisonment via Time Stop->Dimension Door->Imprisonment that would be a problem.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Akona, Halfling Barbarian: Never Mind the Bollocks- Kangaxx

I need to quickly cover Kangaxx, Spellhold, the Underdark, Bodhi, Suldanessellar, and Hell before Arkona can proceed into ToB. It pains me to rush through so much content- especially given that I really like Arkona as a character, but I'm comforted by the knowledge that Arkona's upcoming EE v30 run will be covered in suitable detail.

Anyhoo: Kangaxx. But first, a question: thumbs down or thumbs up on the bold faced type? I started using bold because it's easier to read and, consequently, makes it easier for me to catch typos. But it could come across as too "look-at-me" or too "shouty." I wouldn't want either of those things at all. I like the way bold looks. I find it easier to read. But if is irks others, I'll happily ditch it.

Let's try this again: Kangaxx.

Arkona's confrontation with Kangaxx was a showdown of epic wizards. Not really, but Arkona kind of looks like an epic wizard with her Fireshield: Red, Shield Amulet, and Claw of the Kazgaroth blur.

Spoiler

And now that I think of it, Arkona is, in a sense, an epic wizard. I've always viewed thieves as spell casters whose spells come in bottles. The same could be said of warriors. And if you factor in the variety of item charge based spell effects, warriors can have an arcane touch. Arkona certainly does.

What's with me and tangents today? Back to the fight...

This was a little anti-climactic- especially in comparison to the Shade Lich battle. To prevail against Arkona, to even give Arkona grief, mages need to summon. Kangaxx didn't. Kangaxx tried to remove Arkona's fire resistance to clear the way for HLA spells. That's a fine move. But it has no chance of working in isolation. With a planetar on the field. And with ATweaks demons everywhere. And having been tagged with Malison. Arkona could face tradeoffs. She could have tough decisions to make, and she could get one wrong. But when there is only one call to make, life gets easy.

I lost my Fire Shield: Red to Wish-Breach? Fire it back up.  

Spoiler

Wilting? Counter with a Potion of Extra Healing. Chain Lightning? Potion of Insulation. Malison? Potion of Invulnerability. You get the idea. Arkona has an answer for everything. But she only has one spell equivalent action per round. For mages, to have any hope of victory, they need to create environments where there are conflicting constraints on aura use, while also forcing decisions on a complicated battle field. Kangaxx never did.

Kangaxx the Lich lobbed spells that were easily countered. Kangaxx the Lich ran out of ProMWs.

Spoiler

Kangaxx the Lich was dispelled. And Kangaxx the Lich died. The total bill was two Fire Shield: Red charges, two Shield Amulet charges, two Potions of Fire Resistance, and four Potions of Extra Healing. That's not free. But it's like a lunch special. 

Spoiler

Demi-Lich time!

Spoiler

We saw Malison out of Demi-Kan: that was good. But Demi-Kan, like Lichy-Kan, made life simple for Arkona: the decisions were easy. One spell effect: one counter. We need multiple spell effects, requiring multiple counters for things to get interesting. In this shot, Arkona has the Reflex up for Flame Arrows and the Shield Amulet for Magic Missiles. She's running Shadow Dragon Armor for MAAs and COrbs. She has Helm of Defense + Potion of Fire Resistance + Potion of Insulation for electricity. She has the BoIB for Wilting, and she has extra healers at the ready. Malison has been countered with a Potion of Invulnerability. Kangaxx has already spent his removes by now so he's basically done.

Spoiler

Finish with the iMoD. A Potion of Heroism helped offset the non-proficient THAC0 penalty.

Spoiler

Victory!

Spoiler

It still felt good to win. Kangaxx has a randomized script. Sometimes it's challenging, sometimes less so. Arkona got a little lucky here. She ain't complainin'.

Spellhold will be next.

Best,

A.

• Serg BlackStrider likes this

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Arkona, Halfling Barbarian: Never Mind the Bollocks- Spellhold

Spellhold was cool. Uneventful, save the Jonicus fight, but cool, nonetheless. The coolness was attributable to ATweaks creature improvements.

I've already covered Perth. And we don't need to cover Galvena. So let's just go to the Asylum.

ATweaks mods Fey creatures. It also adds Feys into places where they wouldn't normally appear. I've noticed them in two places so far: Spellhold and the Sahuagin City. Both are a little forced, truth be told. Sure, there's water nearby in both places, but the Feys don't merge as seamlessly into their environment as they did in BG1. I dislike it when mods add creatures in environments where they don't belong. It's a mood breaker. As for the Spellhold Feys, here they are: you can judge for yourself whether they're a mood breaker. I'm undecided.

Spoiler

I kind of liked the sirenes here, but, at the same time, I love to chunk me some lizard men, so there's that.

Amongst other abilities, the ATweaks sirenes have a nice little AoE blindness effect. It doesn't offer a save. With True Seeing Blocks Magical Blindness installed, I expected True Seeing from the book of infinite spells to stop this, but it didn't. Was this intentional, or did something slip by Team Patch n' Match? I don't know. I'll check to see if this is an issue in v30. 

Spoiler

We got a cool looking fight over by the crystal thanks to a wayward yuan-ti mage and his demons. The ATweaks fiends look awesome, but they're a little weird and nerfy from a BG pespective. This is a nabassu. His Death Gaze can turn you into a ghast: weird. He has 76HP and he can be insta-killed with Death Blow: nerfy. They're fun though. And, as a reminder, ATweaks offers multiple options to balance its fiends, with some of those combinations capable of yielding challenging: notably SCS fiends with ATweaks scripts and ATweaks Fiendish Gating. The ATweaks fiends are fun to play with, even if they probably won't find a permanent place in my install. I intend to try SCS Fiends with ATweaks scripts next time. I'm hoping I'll get the cool ATweaks looks paired with SCS beefiness. 

Spoiler

More yuan-ti, more demons to Death Blow. We know the drill.

Spoiler

Onto the lich battle. The lich here is pretty basic. The interesting thing about this fight was that it gave Arkona a chance to see some ATweaks greater mummies. The greater mummies are divine casters in ATweaks. I've heard them described as divine liches, although that's not really accurate. They're divine casters, but they're not bad-ass. They're more interesting than their vanilla equivalents though: I'll give them that. I'll say more about the ATweaks critters, including the greater mummies, in the v30 run. For now, I'll just note that their disease is dangerous and they have an Aura of Fear, but they're slow and they can be punked with Azuredge.

Spoiler

Got Gessen? Arkona does.

Spoiler

Jonicus time!

I always play with the Improved Battle with Spellhold Irenicus component, but I don't always get to fight the fight as it was intended, reason being that my pre-buffs foil the spawning of clones. In Arkona's case, however, there were no pre-buffs and, consequently, there were clones. That was good.

​Here we see Arkona's clone. It's green circled now, but it will turn red in a split second. It's a full fledged, fully equipped, fully leveled copy of Arkona. We have Ages GWWs coming our war. Hardiness!

Spoiler

Hardiness + Rage beats GWW. And it helps when you have mages on your side dropping Wiltings and MMMs.

Spoiler

ATweaks Demon. Death Blow. Next.

Spoiler

A Time Stop expire uneventfully. Another ATweaks demon, another Death Blow. But Arkona is potentially imperiled here, does anyone see it?

Spoiler

Under Malison, with Rage, down, and with a clouded aura, that incoming confusion is a potential threat. Post Malison, Arkona's save v spells is -1. Confusion is a -2. That should be fine -assuming no wonky-ness, but we equipped Harmony, nonetheless before the spell effect landed.

Spoiler

Back to the Reflex. And time for a showdown: mano-a-mano. Note that Irenicus killed all the clones this time. Sometimes it's the other way around: sometimes the clones obliterate Irenicus. That's the thing that I love about this fight: it's so unpredictable.

Spoiler

By the time we reached this stage, Jonicus was already petered out. We peeled some skins with unenchanted darts while he was under ProMW.

Spoiler

But ultimately it was Tugian that won the day. To the Underdark.

Spoiler

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

SCS v30 mages are scripted to act like the Reflection Shield stops Flame Arrows, but if you've installed the component that buffs Protection from Normal Missiles, it actually doesn't. 

Noted.

If the script hasn't been changed, then presumably the new Flame Arrow/Reflection Shield behavior is unintended. Is there a patch?

Thanks, Grim Jim!

Best,

A.

• Grimwald the Wise likes this