Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Faelicea the gnomish fighter mage, Str 19, Dex 19, Con 19, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 3, enters Amn with ** in two-handed weapons and **** in quarterstaves.

Charlestonian Knight Templar

• Members
  • 981 posts

Flena%20L12_zpsf7eatnwc.jpg

Stats:

Tony, fighter 9 / cleric 9, 102 HPs (incl. 5 from Helm), 94 kills

Flena, blade 12, 62 HPs, 29 kills, 0 deaths

Now that image SCREAMS, "Blade!"  

• ussnorway and Grond0 like this

• Members
  • 981 posts

Milan the Avenger Fighter is finally is entering Amn. I seem to have deleted quite a few of my early screenshots, but I'll try to give it as accurately as I can.

Mods: Quest pack, NPCFlirt, BG2Tweaks (Shapeshifter Rebalancing included.) Rogue Rebalancing, and SCSv30, AI and a few difficulty options. No prebuffs for casters, no improved Vampires because CON drain forces mages with Pro. Magic Weapons active to deal with them...

...I'll update further on Umar and Nalia's Keep sometime soon.

Nicely done Ep0!

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Faelicea exited the dungeon and helped out at the circus. Jaheira et al helped with portering. She is now alone in the Copper Coronet.

• ussnorway likes this

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Milan the Fighter (And Avenger!)

With 5 copies of Pro. Petrification, we stormed the Genies for control over the Trademeet market before purchasing the Belt of Inertia Barrier and the Cloak of Displacement. Rejeik Hidesman made his final show, and Milan elected to give the mantle to the mayor rather than either of the petty families. Milan finally caves in to Minsc as well, and Umar Hills is the next destination. First, back to Athkatla to pick up a replacement thief: Jan is the obvious choice.

Umber Hulks take Minsc to an inch of his life, but the last confusing monster dies just as he's at one health. The Mimic blood from, well, the Mimic (may it rest in piece, or as a chest, in pieces.) powers up a Golem for us to smack down. After negotiating trade rights, we elect to search the ranger's cabin and find the journal and we're soon on our merry way to the Shade Lord. 

The fights are fairly simply, mostly just attacking things, with healing spells tossed in to keep Minsc and Cernd healthy. Corn's summons don't hurt either.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-29%20at%208.10.5

Fire Elementals are... also kind of really powerful, considering their long durations. They're generally really good vs many weak things with immunities to +1 and lower. However, they can be easily damaged by stronger things, without any type of regeneration. They're good, but not insta-win summons like the Werebears, unless everyone has enchantments of +1 or lower, in which case I could've won the fight regardless.

Milan elects to ignore the Shadow Dragon for now until the party has some manner of level-drain protection that lasts longer than 5 rounds. We snuck by Invisibly, and took out the Shadow Altar with a single Sunstone Bullet from the southwest. The Shade Lord himself fell quickly, with only a single Level Drain attempt that Cernd managed to save against.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-29%20at%208.18.0

Mazzy is released to fulfill her unfinished business in protecting Umar herself, and to possibly forge her own group in the future.

D'Arnise keep: this place was just a mess. Nalia joins the party for directions an extra 10k gold. The bottom floor is fairly simple, though Spirit Trolls, even unupgraded, are irritating as all getout. While we're down here...

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-30%20at%2010.44.

... One of the reasons Aerie's my favorite character in the series.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-30%20at%2010.58.

Even the Mage can't do anything.

Now, the issue. I like raiding the entire keep, and I have to figure out one thing: how do I kill an Iron Golem without having the Periapt against Poison? Minsc is the only one proficient with a weapon that can damage the silly thing, so it must be him. But the poison cloud is absolutely bonkers, and no one has a good enough Save vs Death to avoid it. Answer: With a ton of Elixirs of Health, every casting of Slow Poison I had (something like 8?), two dead Fire Elementals, 3 dead Nymphs,  every mirror image from Ilbratha, and an almost dead Minsc/Aerie combination. The last golems were easy comparatively.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-30%20at%201.55.1

Now, Torgal. I pulled him out with Nalia invisibly, and started the melee... Without Resist Fear, since no caster knew it. Remove Fear apparently also grants the immunity, but I didn't know that at the beginning of the fight. Cernd, while quite powerful in his Werewolf Form, still has to rely on having only 66 HP outside of his Ironskins and is pretty quickly killed.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-30%20at%202.12.2

Torgal is brought to Near Death, but doesn't collapse while being immune to everything. Few seconds later, he's back at full health and we begin again. Both Fire Elementals fall, and I'm worried I don't have enough to 100% kill him. I'm wrong.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-30%20at%202.19.1

We're forced upstairs to rest, but an Umber Hulk Elder + 2 Giant Trolls phase through the doors to attack us there. One of the mages, Aerie I think, saves our hides with another Invisibility 10". Nalia's forced to drink a Potion of Invisibility as she wasn't in the radius, but whatever. Cernd is raised and healed, and we take out the remainder of Torgal's raiding party. On the way out, apparently Milan isn't the main character anymore. He's just a summon.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-01%20at%2012.05.

Nalia's offer is turned down, and she leaves with a few items, nothing too crazy, I think. Except Tuigan's Bow, but I couldn't relocate her on the map, so what's done is done. Don't plan on using Shortbows heavily this run anyways. With the major 3 outside easy quests done, it's time to head back to Athkatla to get the Amulet of Power and a couple other quests. We return a teddy bear, go grave robbing, save a man from a grave, kill said people who buried him, and finally decided to work for the Shadow Thieves. And since we're at the Shadow Thieves, might as go deal with Maevar.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-02%20at%207.57.3

With no prebuffs, Rayic's pretty easy to destroy after a Breach penetrates his defenses. True Sight from Cernd and Detect Traps from Jan while keeping Milan invisible is a pretty foolproof way of dealing with thieves; their lack of magical weapons also means that the Fire Elemental got to soak a few backstabs as well. Milan's getting close to level 12 and his Avenger spells back, so before taking out the Vampires we elect to do the Unseeing Eye. A misclick on the bridge spawns a Greater Mummy and a dead Minsc.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-02%20at%202.18.1

Which is... OK, I guess, since I need to rest anyways to carpet bomb the Beholders with Cloudkill and Fireball.

The Beholder Lair is dealt with in the same fashion, Cernd spotting them invisibly so that Aerie and Jan can murder them from afar. Cernd is level 13 now, and absolutely crazy. The Shapeshifting Rebalance part tries to bring the Greater Werewolf form into an actual Greater Werewolf stats, so his weapon is upgraded from 1d8 to 2d6, hits as +3, grants regeneration 6 HP/round (!) and ups elemental resists to 50%. His Magic Resist is still at 40%, which is great, because I think that may've just saved the run. I gave the Rift Device to Cernd, but before he could use it, the Unseeing Eye cast PW:S at him. Blocked by the 40% MR, and the Rift Device is successfully used, and Jan deals the killing shot.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-02%20at%205.24.2

Ta-da!

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-02%20at%205.45.2

So I have my Avenger spells back, and less importantly than I thought, my Avenger forms. They'll still be useful as gap-closers, but the damage from a sling over even the Spider Form is about equal, if not better. Iron Skins, Improved Invisibility, as well as a single level 6 that can be useful for Physical Mirror or something, isn't half bad though.

Keldorn is released from the party, and after a short trip to the Promenade to sell all our excess gear, it's time for round 2: Spider!Milan vs Spiders + Spider!Paina.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-02%20at%206.03.1

Milan won.

Tanova is convinced to waste all her higher level spells at a Fire Elemental and a stream of Nymphs that we continually cast behind us as we get out of dodge. When we engage, her highest is Chain Lightning, but far too little as Aerie's two Breaches took down her two recasts of protection spells. Minsc is cursed by a Clay Golem, but we ignore it for now. The rest of the dungeon is cleared without resting, and Bodhi falls absurdly quickly...

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-02%20at%206.28.0I'm not sure what a good balance is here, since with Improved Vampires she's pretty much unfightable, but without it she dies with a tiny whimper. I plan to upgrade the MoD before leaving to Brynnlaw, and I don't intend to bring Imoen into the party (well, maybe for the Underdark. No more.)

Stats: Milan: 12/11 Fighter/Avenger. 68 HP (5 from helmet). 165 kills, most powerful vanquished: Shade Lord. 2 pips in clubs, 2 pips in Spears, 5 pips in Slings, 1 pip in Single Weapon Fighting.

Minsc: 14 Ranger. 108 HP. Dunno how many deaths. 152 kills, most powerful vanquished: Deril. 2 pips in 2H sword, Mace, Longbow, and 2 weapon fighting, and one pip in Flails, and War Hammer.

Cernd: 13 Shapeshifter. 74 HP (6 from Ioun stone). Dunno how many deaths. 76 kills, most powerful vanquished: Bone Golem. 1 pip in Scimitar, Two Weapon Style, Dagger, Quarterstaff, Sling.

Jan: 11/12 Illusionist/Thief. 55 HP. Dunno how many deaths. 28 kills, most powerful vanquished: The Unseeing Eye. 1 pip in crossbow, short bow, dagger, shortsword, quarterstaff.

Aerie: 11/11 Cleric/Mage. 67 HP (20 from the girdle of Fortitude). 1 death. (I only know this one because I actually have to go to the temple to raise her...) 56 kills. Most Powerful vanquished: Durst. 1 pip in Sling, quarterstaff, mace, flail

MVP of this session: Aerie, without a doubt. Invisibility has been clutch, and having pretty much any spell I could possibly need (Free Action? Got it. Remove Paralysis? Got it. Remove Curse for Golems? Got it. Raise Dead? Sure, lemme just rest first. Death Ward and Chaotic Commands? Why not?) Cernd is a close second, but as good as he is he's not providing nearly as much support as the Wingless Wonder.

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grond0 and 1 other like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

At Epsil0

The golems fall to Azuredge (Or any long range weapon. A mod in my set-up includes long range spears and staves which are equally effective). Positioning is all important. If the largest golem blocks the exit, you can kill the others as they try to attack. This is true in Firkraag's lair too for all three golems. :)

• ussnorway likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

At Epsil0

The golems fall to Azuredge (Or any long range weapon. A mod in my set-up includes long range spears and staves which are equally effective). Positioning is all important. If the largest golem blocks the exit, you can kill the others as they try to attack. This is true in Firkraag's lair too for all three golems. :)

I suspect Epsil0's setup allows the iron golem to target its poison cloud, so the ability to use ranged fire on it is not quite such an easy win.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Faelicea went to the gate district where she killed a lich single-handed. (OK, she was using a sword in each hand. :D ) She also killed a party who ambushed her on the way. That was a touch and go battle and she had to rest in the inn immediately upon reaching the gate district.

She persuaded some under-aged lovers tom separate as well. :)

I suspect Epsil0's setup allows the iron golem to target its poison cloud, so the ability to use ranged fire on it is not quite such an easy win.

Even with my set-up, it is not as easy a win as it is with vanilla. The stone and flesh golems keep changing their positions which can lure you into danger. However with my set-up, it is feasible to defeat them with little or no damage.

Epsil0

Epsil0
  • Members
  • 208 posts

And Milan has fallen to a single Prismatic Spray cast in the chaos of the Haer'Dalis. Not much to say about that, except that a potion of invulnerability probably would've been a save, and I was simply too slow.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Tough break Epsil0. Keep in mind Improved Invisibility offers +4 to saves, and you can get the II ability from Ribald's Ring of Air Control.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

And Milan has fallen to a single Prismatic Spray cast in the chaos of the Haer'Dalis. Not much to say about that, except that a potion of invulnerability probably would've been a save, and I was simply too slow.

:( Hope things go better next time.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Faelicea teamed up with Jan and together they have all but finished up the following quests.

The thieves' quest (Unfortunately, I accidentally burned the good guy who had been imprisoned. Rep down to 7. :( )

Xzar's quest,

The Spiders' Bane quest,

Wellyn's quest,

The Bridge street murders quest,

The quest where the victims are buried allive,

The first part of the slavers' quest.

I have sent Edwin back to the Copper Coronet.

Faelicea is now a level 10 fighter and Illusionist.

:( Hope things go better next time.

• ussnorway likes this

• Members
  • 981 posts

Ouch!

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Faelicia fell to charisma being reduced to 0. :( Will now test to see if Grond0's idea works with a new game.

Even a new game makes no difference.

Perhaps the value needs to be changed before installing ToBex.

Investigation required.

EDIT

Tried reinstalling ToBex.

Now game doesn't work. :(

Will use this problem to change my set-up.

I think that I will now buy EE.

• ussnorway and Blackraven like this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Sorry to hear you stat drained to death Wise - what I do i this kind of situation is test the issue on an OLD save for a different character who is already done (one way or another), this way it doesn't affect the current run.

Hope your new install is to your liking.

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

I have been unhappy with my set-up for some time now Corey, so this enforced change might be for the best in the long run.  The only reason why this came about was due to me running a vanilla ToSC game. With my Tutu set-up I have a ToB-ex version for creating the characters from which I export my characters into a non-ToBex version. That system works well as it gives the best of both worlds.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Omt2- 8,

I HATE snakes:

Hear text as mp3,

We started out well Viconia collected the bag of holding as I summoned up a new rabbit and everyone else looked for ways of making magic weapons.

A fireball here and cloud there to get rid of peons then we bashed the portal guards… was that a cow?... Hexxat back stabbed a pit fiend with the magic short sword Imoen made for her… didn't think you COULD back stab them but I'm not complaining.

o2e-mtl74.jpg

Spoiler
o2e-mtl84.jpg

I really should have just moved on at this point but my dam completest nature kicked in so we lured the clay golem onto our traps (immune to physical but the secondary poison damage will kill) and attacked the snakes with traps + two skelly warriors. The mage turned Dorn to stone and as I moved up with a 'stone to flesh' he 'fireball' killed me.

• Blackraven likes this

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

(Moved to Q&A thread).

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

So I'm thinking about another run but had a few questions (in no particular order). I don't think there are necessarily right or wrong answers to any of these, just some points I've been thinking about based on prior runs and am curious what people's opinions are. For context on #2, new run would likely be imported from BG1 (unless of course I wipe in the last chapter).

Snip...

Any comments appreciated.

There is already a post for this q&e stuff mate, it's better there because stuff in the no-reload post tends to be hard for people to track back and find... http://forum.bioware...ran/?p=19552372

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

There is already a post for this q&e stuff mate, it's better there because stuff in the no-reload post tends to be hard for people to track back and find... http://forum.bioware...ran/?p=19552372

Sure, will move there.

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Party now entering BG2, having bested Sarevok in BG1 by a slim margin. Charname is a level 7 Berserker with 19s in combat stats and Intelligence. Planning on a party run, including Yoshimo. I had avoided him earlier, thinking that his use forced the party to be a man down during the first fight with Jon, and further reasoning that Jan is stronger. While I still believe the second is probably true, the first it turns out is not and so we are looking forward to mixing it up a bit with a new party member. Otherws will be Viccy, Ed, Haerdalis, and Jaheira.

• Blackraven likes this

Jabberwock

Jabberwock
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Well that was a short run. I had no idea Arkanis could attack you in Maevar's stronghold and he killsworded me after a failed steal from the shopkeeper.

I guess that's a wipe but...

• Blackraven likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Corthief VIII the level 27 solo halfling thief - Update 10

Corthief VIII's Journal:

"I decided to write in my journal today. My goal of rescuing Imoen and defeating Irenicus is getting closer. I'm getting so good at laying traps, dragons are dying instantly. More on that later.

(Corthief VIII"s equipment at start of session)

Spoiler

I decided to aid the Order of Radiant Heart, and investigate some Fallen Paladins. I had laid snares before the 1st encounter, so the snares helped dealing with the muggers fighting the paladins. They wanted me to get a cup for them. It sounded like a trap, so I laid down some traps of my mine.  I got the cup from Sir Ryan, and returned, with summons as backup. It ended up being a pretty nice scrap, but the paladins couldn't hurt my Staff of Air lesser air elemental, so final result was not in doubt.

I then finally starting working on getting Sir Sarles for the Temple of Helm. There was a lot of errand-running, but it was pretty straight-forward all the same. I had to get some illithium for Neb (which was later given to Sir Sarles) - some summons assisted, plus my detect illusions skill plus quite a few arrows into Neb - I was shooting at him from across the table, and Neb for some reason, didn't try to move around, so he became a pin cushion instead.

Also in the area, I defeated some lich in a sarcophagus - I guessed where to place some snares before disturbing it, and guessed right as the lich died instantly. Saved a green undead scroll by doing that. Also nearby, I avenged the poor man buried alive - my staff of air summon blocked their escape, and some snares, the murderers had zero chance.

Spoiler

On my way to report to Sir Sarles my success, I rescued a drow named Viconia from some fanatics. My staff of air summon once again running interference, while I turned the enemies into pin-cushions - easy victory.

Spoiler

I forgot to mention, that lich I killed earlier, I got a body part from him. I found yet another lich in a sarcophagus, and defeated it the exactly same way. I soon discovered a room with some Minotaurs - some summons assisted me clearing them. I then laid some traps and instantly killed another lich named Kangaxx - but he then turned into a demi-lich! Luckily, I was protected by undead scroll. No so lucky, I was founding out my 18 STR, haste potion and Staff of Rhynn were NOT sufficient to kill him! I could only get Kangaxx to badly injured, I couldn't finish him. I even had to refresh my undead protection and haste potion twice! Eventually I decided to try those powerful sun bullets - maybe they could kill this evil thing - yes they did! I had pick-pocketed the ring of gaxx on the lich's left finger, and so I got the one on the right - am wearing these rings almost all the time now.

Spoiler

The Temples had yet another task for me - had to recover a Dawn Ring. I used a lot of my summons to succeed.

Spoiler

Oops, Journal, forgot to mention I had solved all the Umar Hills issues. As much as possible, I avoided undead, or let the sun gems kill them - other groups I used protection from undead, which was also used again the cause of all these problems, the shadow lord. Shadow Dragon was skipped then.

But then I had an ephiphany after doing the temple tasks - I can use any item now, spell or weapon or armor/shield/helmet! Time to go after dragons - shadow dragon first. I still had the Wardstone, so laid down what spike traps/snares I had, and triggered the fight - the dragon was slain instantly! A bit anti-climatic...

Baldr495_zps32onlifo.png

Time to pay a visit to Windspear Hills. I killed some monsters but then the turned into knights! A resident of the area offered to talk to the Radiant Heart for me, so I let him do so and he succeeded in staying their wrath. While he was gone had to fight some ambushers in Garren's home - they came out of nowhere! But they didn't live long. I then had to defeat a large group of enemies in Firkraag's Lair. Most enemies defeated by snares, summons or run/hide/backstab technique. A bunch of genies defeated by protection from fire spell (arcane) basically. Director killed by cloudkills. Golems were defeated either with Rhynn Staff or Crimson Dart - took forever, but got it done. Conster died to my traps - my guess where he would appear was spot on.

As for Firkraag, I had laid 4 spike traps and 3 snares and fired an arrow to see what would happen - Firkraag died pretty much instantly. I know he saw me lay down the traps, he was so confident they wouldn't help me - he made a mistake under-estimating an experienced thief like me.

Baldr496_zpstzafeifa.png

I was feeling pretty confident, so decided to pay the Twisted Rune Guarded Compound a visit. I ignored the summons on the ground level and hid in the shadows and went upstairs. I then went to the far side of upstairs, and approached hidden. The enemies were bunched together - let's try a few cloudkills from the shadows (I was wearing cloak of non-detection, so they couldn't find me) - it managed to kill all but one!

Spoiler

All that remained to backstab the survivor - looting the upstairs was pretty easy, being a thief and all.

Spoiler

Time to clear up some loose ends. Forged the Red Dragon Armor, as well as the Shadow Dragon Armor. Bought Tasheron's bow, Reflection Shield and Hill Giant belt. I could have used this belt ages ago, but just didn't have the funds.

Ha! Forgot to mention I had cleared out the Vampire Coven - mostly summons and also a green undead scroll was used. Traps took out Bodhi. I had used necklace of missiles a few time too. Not too bad, but carelessly got level drained when my protection expired, and even had the AoP available but didn't have it equipped when it happened. Just wasn't paying attention - I got to be more careful.

Investigating a beholder cult as a thief seems insane - venturing into some unknown planar sphere, which is probably controlled by a powerful necromancer, all on behalf of a ranger I don't even know, seems terribly risky. I need to be focused on Imoen, so will report to Linvail my success tomorrow. Hang in there Imoen, won't be long now."

• ussnorway and Grond0 like this

Blackraven

Blackraven
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Condolences USSNorway (I hate snakes too) and Jabberwock (sorry you decided to mess with Arkanis). 
Fine progress Corey, your Thief is looking good!

• corey_russell likes this

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Condolences USSNorway (I hate snakes too) and Jabberwock (sorry you decided to mess with Arkanis). 
Fine progress Corey, your Thief is looking good!

Thanks! He's well equipped and with his many snares/traps, as well as haste and great hiding skill, he's able to deal with most situations now.

• Grimwald the Wise and Blackraven like this