, the Lawful Neutral Monk
Mods: Basically SCS/SCSII (no smarter mages/priests), various tweaks. No locks & traps, but I won't exploit that gratuitously to get ahead at the beginning by, say, getting the Horn of Valhalla before Serena is able to foil the now-gone Maze trap that would be fatal without 100% MR. See the whole list of tweaks here
EDIT: Forgot to mention the most important mod: the G3 Oversight
As all my characters these days, Serena began her career in Candlekeep in BG1.
Here are a few screen shots from her travels.
- Hide in Shadows + Wand of the Heavens means that Gnarl (or is it Hairtooth?) dies before he gets to use his potion of giant strength.
- Stunning Blow at work against Mulahey.
- Dart Proficiency pays off against Tranzig.
- Amnish Soldier gets lucky. This was actually a huge help since I'd forgotten that Nimbul was there and sort of stumbled onto him while my head was elsewhere.
- Taking on Drasus and company. Buffed with lots of potions: Invulnerability, Hill Giant Strength (19) from Gnarl, Greenstone Amulet, Potion of Absorption (for +10 AC against Drasus). Was also using the Ring of Free Action (from Dushai). The melee fighters were ignored while the mages fell to bombardment with the Amulet of Missiles. Once they were gone, it was a foregone conclusion.
- I don't really have any shots from the midgame, but here's Jalantha Mistmyr being stunned and beaten to death.
- Slythe requires a lot of care because of his potions + backstabs, but Serena had prepared by chugging a Potion of Power (found only two during the entire game), a potion of Defense and a potion of giant strength (24), and a few Potions of Mind Focusing for added DEX (and thus a little better AC). Slythe fell in due course.
- Not wanting to waste potions, Serena hurried to the Ducal Palace where she used Wand of Sleep + melee combat to fight off the doppelgangers.
- In the thieves' maze, she used hit & run tactics against the Skeleton Warriors. (This was done purely to have more experience at the start of BG2.)
- Tamoko failed her save against Darts of Stunning and died shortly thereafter.
- For the final fight Serena buffed. Buffs: Purple Potion, Potion of Agility + Potion of Fortitude to negate the downsides, Potion of Power (last one), Potion of Mind Focusing (last one), multiple Potion of Perception to increase chances of successful Hide in Shadows use. The fight was pretty simple as she used her superior speed to do a little pillar-dancing, hiding in shadows at every opportunity and attacking from invisibility.
After killing Sarevok Serena did various quests for a little more EXP: Serena's character sheet
at the time of going to Athkatla.Irenicus' dungeon:
Cleared most of Irenicus' dungeon.
Stunning Blow proved effective
against the mephits
, though she couldn't take any chances with the mephits in the "air room", so she stealthed past them. The mephit portals were taken down by casting Horror at the first two mephits and by stealthing to the furthest portal and destroying it first (it spawns the dangerous Radiant Mephit).
The nameless Escaped Clone
met her doom by way of a Stunning Blow. Serena again chose to stealth past the mephit in the corridor
since it often spawns with a "stun" ability.
The gnomes guarding the Girdle of Bluntness were assassinated
and the doppelganger was killed while Serena was retrieving the Potion of Firebreath (crucial
against the Suna Seni ambush mage). Serena stealthed past the final group of shadow thieves (didn't want to risk backstabs) and left the dungeon.
She went straight to the Circus and cleared that
without ceremony. She postponed the final reward (+1 reputation) for later.
Immediate game priorities were to: Get the Ring of Air Control (even before increasing reputation to 20 to lower prices) for safety, trigger the Suna Seni and Renfield ambushes in a predictable way and to get the Ioun stone in the spider lair (for protection against criticals, +10% HP also helps). Once those were taken care of she could get to her next immediate priority: Ilbratha (for Mirror Image).
Even before leaving the promenade, Serena was able to sell of various things (Helm of Balduran and various bits and bobs from Irenicus' dungeon) to be able to afford the RoAC. She then left the promenade to go to the slums where she met Gaelan Bayle.
EDIT: Oh, yes, just a quick note: Serena was level 10 at this point.
Edited by AnonymousHero, 18 July 2011 - 10:31 AM.