Lotan the Human level 9 fighter dualed to level 13 druid, his adventure continues...
As described in my last update, my party decided it was ready to take on the twisted rune compound in the Temple District. For the first floor we made a bunch of summons and hasted them. Paja stealthed and moved forward triggering the "trap " of monsters spawning and she backs off while the summons duke it out. This succeeded in winning, BUT we lost a lot of experience this way because somehow my summons would get charmed and turn red circle and then kill something not giving me experience. No biggie, the run didn't end and that was the important thing.
On the "real" battle, the twisted rune group upstairs. Paja managed to lay 2 traps downstairs (normal ones). We will only withdraw to downstairs as a "backup" plan. Next we did lots of buffs, see preparation.
. The buffs are pretty standard, EXCEPT one -- I had Lotan cast find traps - why? This way I don't have to "wait" for Paja to find them, and in fact once Lotan finds them she can disarm them. Saves me a step and I think is a bit faster.
We the move upstairs. Joshua opens with True Sight (forgot to cast downstairs), Lotan with insect plague, Hanna with holy smite and Paja tried emotion. Don't think I could have expected a better result - 1/2 the enemy is disabled
, including the enemy mage!
Next round Paja disables a trap, Joshua already set off one (though he appeared to save whatever it was), Hanna tries a holy smite again, and Lotan tried a miscast magic at the still standing enemy cleric. The AI was doing some pretty funny things with my party. For one, Paja moved a lot closer to the enemies, and Joshua kept going toward the enemy cleric rather than being close to Hanna, as the thief is trying to get her. The battle lasted a while, Paja kept spamming her fireball wand at the enemies farthest from Hanna, the enemy thief kept tryiing to backstab Hanna (but missing), and Joshua and Lotan were meleeing the enemies down. We had to chug a couple of healing potions, then the last enemy fell.
Lots of loot, most stuff wasn't an upgrade for anyone. Lotan was keeping a small shield +2 for the few times he does sword and shield style - he upgraded to a +2 large shield. Joshua was using the helm of infravision - upgraded to a helm of defense. Paja gets the Celestial Fury, though most of the time she will have the Daystar equipped.
Speaking of Daystar, something surprising (to me) in our next vampire ambush. But getting ahead of ourselves - first the party rested for days in an inn trying to identify everything then sell. Looking at the full plate +1, it's nice it weighs lot less then full plate, but I can only use +x rings with non-magical armor. Saves are pretty important, so sold them rather than use them. Next we recruited Valygar temporarily to do his quest. We have a ton of gold now, so we went ahead and got the strength belt from Ribald for Hanna (this works well with her sling of seeking). When we exited Ribald's, we got perhaps the worst ambush (4 vampires). I readjusted the placement of the party (which somehow made 2 vampires "lose track" of us) then Hanna cast False Dawn, Paja activated the Daystar, Lotan call lightning and everyone else attacked. I was absolutely schocked
at how much damage Paja did to a vampire -1050 damage! Don't remember ever hitting anything that hard before in melee or magic.
We go tthe slums and rested. Then we continued on the planar sphere. Muggers tried to hurt us, but at these levels they are just a slight distraction. Decided would let Valygar use the +3 spear we got from the Twisted Rune.
We got inside and these are the results of the important battles:
* The first two halfling groups are just weak melees, they were cut down fast. As fror the next two groups who have powerful mages, Paja demonstrated the power of a high level thief/mage. She hid in the shadows, saw them then backed up before they could get a true sight off with her in range. Then from out of range she would fire a cloudkill from her wand, stealth, cloudkill again and then come back to the party (stealthed) and wait. In each case, the halflings had no clue whatsoever who or what was killing them.
* Lavok - I think now what I did was silly (I have an inquisitor in my group!) - I should have just charged and have Joshua do dispel magic next to Lavok - he would have died fast. He might have gotten off a ADHW off, but at most would kill Paja and we just rod of resurrectio her. But instead i used a precious protection from magic scroll - oh well. Obviously doing this definitely made Lavok's defeat certain.
* Demon outside - Joshua's protection from magic scroll was still active, so put chaotic commands on Lotan and Valygar. I had Valygar temporarily borrow Paja's arbane so he couldn't be held, Hanna cast free action on Lotan, and the melees destroyed the demon simply enough.
* Tolgerias - Joshua's protectiion from magic expired the MOMENT we unlocked the lower level where the "engine" room is - of course. I wasn't too worried though. I summoned the best summons available, and sent them to "greet" Tolgerias and his mage buddy. Interestingly, Tolgerias stayed blue circle, even after the party moved up (which was a slight bummer as that meant he didn't get affected by the insect plague as that affects only enemies). He finally spoke up when he saw Valygar and then did his mojo. The enemies got a ADHW off, which killed no one. THIS time I remembered I had an inquistor in the group - I had Joshua fire a dispel magic right in between both enemy mages, which dispelled most of their protections. Our melee/ranged then quickly mowed them down.
Quite a few summons survived the altercation, so I used them to clear the ice and fire rooms. The fire room did some damage, but nothing some heal potions couldn't fix.
* Engine/Golem room - fought lots of golems here. Used ranged was possible, Joshua would use hsi Azuredge, and Lotan his +3 dart from Watcher's Keep (forget the name) on the little golems first - then the big guy and finally the clay golems. The trap detection ring that we found here would be perfect for Imoen, but useless for Paja as she's 100%. We want both of Paja's rings to be some kind of rings of wizardy in any case.
* We reported our success to Lavok. Being the only mage, Paja of course got the ring of wizardry. We traveled to the Copper Coronet, getting accosted by muggers again. The party couldn't be bothered, so Joshua soloed them all even though he was about 1/2 damaged from the golems. Needless to say that still wasn't enough help for the muggers. We identified and sold oru junk again (which means lots of resting), took anything we wanted from Valygar and sent him home.
The party is at 30000 gold again, so got the high level spells that Bernard had for Paja. The party is thinking of recruiting Jaheira next, so we can do couple of her quests and in particular get another ring of wizardry for Paja.
Edited by corey_russell, 30 July 2011 - 03:30 AM.