corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grats on beating Demogorgon, Weirdo!

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Now that I think of it, there is definitely something very buggy about the implementation of the Globe of Blades spell in my install!

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
In fact, I think that Globe of Blades has been part of killing off Minsc (gibbed) when fighting against the Storm Knights (Temple to Talos in the Temple District), and Starria at another time (an earlier death). The spell seems to hit like 4+ times, each time doing 10d10 damage ... which doesn't seem right at all. The spell should only do it once (if a saving throw is failed).

Edited by Wierdo, 08 August 2011 - 01:01 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
The spell description for GoB does say those near the person have to save vs. spell each time for like 10 rounds.

amanasleep

amanasleep
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Wierdo wrote...

In fact, I think that Globe of Blades has been part of killing off Minsc (gibbed) when fighting against the Storm Knights (Temple to Talos in the Temple District), and Starria at another time (an earlier death). The spell seems to hit like 4+ times, each time doing 10d10 damage ... which doesn't seem right at all. The spell should only do it once (if a saving throw is failed).

A couple of things about GoB and Blade Barrier:

1. Ignores Magic Resistance.
2. Hits once per round, however all forms of haste double the number of hits, and haste + boots of speed (or 2*Improved Haste) will quadruple the number of hits.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@corey: Yeah, but not all ten rounds worth of hits in a single round!

@amanasleep: Good idea. Maybe, maybe.

Still weird. There were a lot more GoB hits in the same round that I didn't cut & paste into a picture. That is, at least several more on Demogorgon and several more on the Baalor and Marilith ... and it is not the first time I have seen this happen either (e.g. to Minsc, some time ago). Probably around 12 or more GoB hits from just 2 devas, all within a few seconds.

Generally in this game, I have been seeing GoB hitting at least four times in a row when it hits. That is like around 200hp damage in a second!

There is also another weird spell-related bug on my install. Every time Bruce tries to use Lunar Stance (recently acquired) the game freezes and crashes. Googling the issue & searching the G3 forum reveals that this is likely caused by some conflict emerging between the Oversight and Ascension mods. I was wondering if there might be some other conflict causing this GoB behaviour?

amanasleep

amanasleep
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Wierdo wrote...

@corey: Yeah, but not all ten rounds worth of hits in a single round!

@amanasleep: Good idea. Maybe, maybe.

Still weird. There were a lot more GoB hits in the same round that I didn't cut & paste into a picture. That is, at least several more on Demogorgon and several more on the Baalor and Marilith ... and it is not the first time I have seen this happen either (e.g. to Minsc, some time ago). Probably around 12 or more GoB hits from just 2 devas, all within a few seconds.

Generally in this game, I have been seeing GoB hitting at least four times in a row when it hits. That is like around 200hp damage in a second!

There is also another weird spell-related bug on my install. Every time Bruce tries to use Lunar Stance (recently acquired) the game freezes and crashes. Googling the issue & searching the G3 forum reveals that this is likely caused by some conflict emerging between the Oversight and Ascension mods. I was wondering if there might be some other conflict causing this GoB behaviour?

Try casting Regeneration on a Deva and seeing how fast it works.  If it is super fast, then the issue may be that something is duplicating haste rates.  Most summons enter play hasted, but can only get the +1 attack since attacks from haste do not stack.  The "living speed" can be multiplied via scripting, however, if the haste is continually reapplied.

It's only a theory.  Best to post this over at G3 and see if somebody responds.  Since you have other bugs in your install it seems likely that you may need to reinstall clean to fix.

If it helps I am in the same boat--every time I summon a Deva it starts to take damage after 2 rounds and then turns hostile.  No idea what the cause is, as it doesn't affect other summons.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
Gabrielle 2 Final

Gabrielle has failed to rescue her bard companion from the plainer prison. Every thing was proceeding on sequel until one thrall must have ran off to get help because an extra patrol showed up and we all failed our chaos save with predictable results… back to the drawing board for me ‘sigh’. :crying:

Posted Image Posted Image

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

Wierdo wrote...

There is also another weird spell-related bug on my install. Every time Bruce tries to use Lunar Stance (recently acquired) the game freezes and crashes.

This isn't just Lunar Stance - any spell with the "Sparkle" effect crashes the game when used in conjunction with the version of ToBEx that the latest version of SCSII shipped with - the bug has been fixed with stand-alone ToBEx but SCSII has not been updated.

About the Globe of Blades - it uses the same effect (opcode) as Fire Shield, Blade Barrier, and Aura of Flaming Death - if the latter spells aren't bugged, it's likely a problem with the Globe which you could solve by deleting the file SPPR725 from your overide folder (this will prevent enemies from "seeing" your globe of blades, but that sounds better than the current bug). Or download Near Infinity/DLTCEP to fix it.

amanasleep wrote...

If it helps I am in the same boat--every time I summon a Deva it starts to take damage after 2 rounds and then turns hostile.  No idea what the cause is, as it doesn't affect other summons.

This is because of some mod which attempts to "fix" the damage bonus of the mace of disruption (Devas wield a more powerful copy of this mace) but applies it to the wrong target so that someone equipping it takes damage. It was removed from the recent versions of the G3 fixpack but I think it's still used by another one (don't remember which).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@USSNorway: Sorry to hear Gabrielle's demise. It's a shame to have such a pretty face cut down. I noticed you had an extra slot for your group. You could have had Keldorn in with his awesome paladin saves, he probably would have made his save and to boot could do a powerful dispel magic and get rid of the chaos for ya. I can't remember if you like Paladins though...

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@polytope

Thanks for that useful advice about ToBEX issues and the GoB. I've had no problems with the other spells you mentioned. so will try deleting that file. I haven't gotten into using the modding tools (yet). It is ironic that I am fixing it now, just when Wierdo's party is starting to benefit from the bug rather than suffering.

I'll just have to not use Lunar Stance, perhaps SK in another HLA for Bruce to keep him happy. Or perhaps give him an Iylos ring (from the NPC monk mod, prevents time-stop effects like LS should). It might mean that I'll have to CTRL-Y Balthazar in the final battle, whether he is friend or foe (as he uses LS a lot), but so be it.

@amanasleep

I have also found devas going hostile in this latest game, but usually it is because I have also summoned undead skeletons or something evil (like a sword spider). The deva then attacks it and becomes an 'enemy' of the party. Some more thoughtful summoning avoids this problem.

This must be to do with new mod behaviour scripting as I haven't seen it before in earlier runs, and have played games where my party has had both 'normal' and 'fallen' devas on the field at the same time.

Edited by Wierdo, 09 August 2011 - 10:01 AM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

corey_russell wrote...

@USSNorway: Sorry to hear Gabrielle's demise. It's a shame to have such a pretty face cut down. I noticed you had an extra slot for your group. You could have had Keldorn in with his awesome paladin saves, he probably would have made his save and to boot could do a powerful dispel magic and get rid of the chaos for ya. I can't remember if you like Paladins though...

Thanks corey_russell... She just had a run of bad luck is all; first to get a runner & then to have the group fail their save except Mazzy (her special paladin kit has the best saves in the game).

As for Keldorn… I personally find his dispel to be a bit of a crutch but I agree he could have pulled me for the fire on this occasion. :wub:

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Had a brief flirtation from Katharsis - my wizard-slayer had eventually made it through BG1, but couldn't manage Irenicus' dungeon. She worked hard to get past the mephits and duergar - this was particularly difficult as she had grand mastery in daggers, but there didn't seem to be a single dagger in the dungeon, which seems a strange omission. However, she got stunned by the clone casting a chromatic orb. I had hoped that 2 drain life and a divine wrath spell might have finished her off, but it only got her to nearly dead.

I know that encounter was not strictly required to progress, but was a bit tired of being ultra-cautious and I think the future in BG2 for a solo wizard-slayer would have been fairly bleak anyway.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0: Hmm yep looks like it about time to rename BG 2 "Grond0 Take Down Game"! The only dagger off-hand that I remember in Chateau Irenicus is the one behind the locked and trapped painting, right by the Jailer golem.

Also I don't think it would be as bleak as you think, as some people have claimed to beat BG 2 with a solo wizard slayer. They say the wizard slayer gets real powerful later.

Edited by corey_russell, 11 August 2011 - 02:56 PM.

amanasleep

amanasleep
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Had a brief flirtation from Katharsis - my wizard-slayer had eventually made it through BG1, but couldn't manage Irenicus' dungeon. She worked hard to get past the mephits and duergar - this was particularly difficult as she had grand mastery in daggers, but there didn't seem to be a single dagger in the dungeon, which seems a strange omission. However, she got stunned by the clone casting a chromatic orb. I had hoped that 2 drain life and a divine wrath spell might have finished her off, but it only got her to nearly dead.

I know that encounter was not strictly required to progress, but was a bit tired of being ultra-cautious and I think the future in BG2 for a solo wizard-slayer would have been fairly bleak anyway.

There is a dagger +1 behind the painting in the room with all the equipment right at the start of the dungeon.  It's trapped, so you can either hope you resist it or join Imoen to get it for you.

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Wizard Slayers get wickedly sick late in SoA and throughout ToB. That is when Spellcasting becomes the bane of most classes. Not the Wizard Slayer. He just becomes a walking death machine. Since later in the game Consumables become numerous that most weakness that the Slayer might have he makes up with consumable items.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Also I don't think it would be as bleak as you think, as some people have claimed to beat BG 2 with a solo wizard slayer. They say the wizard slayer gets real powerful later.

Krazy Solo wrote...
Wizard Slayers get wickedly sick late in SoA and throughout ToB. That is when Spellcasting becomes the bane of most classes. Not the Wizard Slayer. He just becomes a walking death machine. Since later in the game Consumables become numerous that most weakness that the Slayer might have he makes up with consumable items.

I've never played ToB, but the concept of the wizard slayer is that the only consumables they can use are healing & antidote potions and I was sticking to that pretty rigidly in BG1 even though there were lots of mod items that could have been used.  Unless ToB introduces consumables specifically tailored to the wizard slayer I guess you are talking about items introduced by mods. 

I don't know SoA well enough to say just what protective equipment would be useable by the wizard slayer.  I know that hold person, charm and confusion could be guarded against, but not sure about fear and I don't think there is protection against chromatic orb, emotion, petrification, various death magic, feeblemind, stun or maze to name a few.  That means, to be successful, an awful lot of meta-gaming knowledge would be required to avoid encounters or manage them from a safe distance somehow.  Admittedly this is essentially what I did in BG1, but my knowledge of BG2 is rather less (so as I said my prospects seemed bleak, though no doubt others would be better prepared).

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
Not sure why you assume I'm talking about mods... I play Vanilla unmodded BG2 SoA/ToB with Official patch and content nothing else. At least in my copy of the game Slayers are able to use all potions that warrior class can. May not sound like a lot in BG1, but the potions branch out into to offensive and defensive buff potions such as Oil of Speed and Potion of Defense.

amanasleep

amanasleep
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Grond0 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

Krazy Solo wrote...

I've never played ToB, but the concept of the wizard slayer is that the only consumables they can use are healing & antidote potions and I was sticking to that pretty rigidly in BG1 even though there were lots of mod items that could have been used.  Unless ToB introduces consumables specifically tailored to the wizard slayer I guess you are talking about items introduced by mods. 

I don't know SoA well enough to say just what protective equipment would be useable by the wizard slayer.  I know that hold person, charm and confusion could be guarded against, but not sure about fear and I don't think there is protection against chromatic orb, emotion, petrification, various death magic, feeblemind, stun or maze to name a few.  That means, to be successful, an awful lot of meta-gaming knowledge would be required to avoid encounters or manage them from a safe distance somehow.  Admittedly this is essentially what I did in BG1, but my knowledge of BG2 is rather less (so as I said my prospects seemed bleak, though no doubt others would be better prepared).

The Dragonslayer sword protects against fear.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Krazy Solo wrote...

Not sure why you assume I'm talking about mods... I play Vanilla unmodded BG2 SoA/ToB with Official patch and content nothing else. At least in my copy of the game Slayers are able to use all potions that warrior class can. May not sound like a lot in BG1, but the potions branch out into to offensive and defensive buff potions such as Oil of Speed and Potion of Defense.

Not sure why they work for you.  I don't think that was the intention of the game designers and I just checked my vanilla installation to confirm they don't work on that.  Certainly the availability of potions would make a major difference to the viability of the class.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Krazy Solo wrote...

Not sure why they work for you.  I don't think that was the intention of the game designers and I just checked my vanilla installation to confirm they don't work on that.  Certainly the availability of potions would make a major difference to the viability of the class.

Have you got the fix pack installed Grond0?

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

corey_russell wrote...

I did follow one of the threads where someone did beat vanilla (I believe) from the start of SoA to ToB. I don't think that person (can't remember who, sorry) also used Ascension, but was forced to play at much-reduced difficulty. The Ascension battles were definitely not no-reload, and I seem to recall one particular battle in particular being almost impossible. Tamah (I think) has a sleep effect which ignores MR (and probably has save penalties) which was impossible for the WS to defend against reliably.

Also, I seem to recall start of the game being heavily cheesed. The person just collected a lot of gold for reputation restoration and killed Amnish soldiers en masse (they spawn endlessly in Vanilla) until level 40. That may have been a different game, though. It's been a long time.

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Krazy Solo wrote...

Then your install is buggy -- have you installed both the SoA patch and ToB patch, perchance? Wizard Slayers are definitely not supposed to be able to use any potions at all except "healing" potions.

There was even a bug in SoA (I think) which prevented Wizard Slayers from even using healing potions.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Grond0 wrote...

My advice is to get more experience in BG2 so you gain metagame knowledge. You work so hard in BG1 only to die in the early part of BG2, that just doesn't feel right at all. Well that's just my opinion. Good luck in your next run.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
 Enter BlackStrider - CG Gnome Cleric/Illusionist:

Posted Image

He recently graduated from successful BG1-ToSC no-reload run. As I cleared all areas, he accumulated some extra exp, that allows him to immediately level up in both classes.

My install:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]~SETUP-TUTUGUIFONT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate fonts for TutuGUI~SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Everything but Potions~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #1 // New Potion Graphics~SETUP-BD-TOB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurdash Fix Pack for ToB, v1.5 WeiDU~SETUP-BD-TOB.TP2~ #0 #1 // Textupdatepack -> Baldurdash English Text Update Pack for ToB, v1.4 WeiDU~SETUP-SCSBGT.TP2~ #0 #57 // Remove blur effect from displacer cloak~1PP_QS_COLOUR/SETUP-1PP_QS_COLOUR.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Colourable Quarterstaves core~1PP_QS_COLOUR/SETUP-1PP_QS_COLOUR.TP2~ #0 #1 // 1PP: Colourable Quarterstaves core item patches~1PP_QS_COLOUR/SETUP-1PP_QS_COLOUR.TP2~ #0 #2 // 1PP: Colourable Quarterstaves mod item patches~1PP_QS_COLOUR/SETUP-1PP_QS_COLOUR.TP2~ #0 #3 // 1PP: Fix buckler items if d1.legacy is installed~1PP_FEMALE_DWARVES/SETUP-1PP_FEMALE_DWARVES.TP2~ #0 #0 // Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves -> Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Baldur's Gate II~1PP_THIEVES_GALORE/SETUP-1PP_THIEVES_GALORE.TP2~ #0 #1 // 1ppv3: Unique Thief Avatars (patch) -> BGII - Unique Thief Avatars (patch)~1PP_THIEVES_GALORE/SETUP-1PP_THIEVES_GALORE.TP2~ #0 #2 // 1ppv3: Unique Thief Avatars (content)~1PP_EXT_PAL/1PP_EXT_PAL.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1PP: Extended palette entries~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinity Animations: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #25 // Humanoid Animation Fixes: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #500 // More Base Animations: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #8030 // BG1 Animations for NPCs -> Most relevant creatures: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #9000 // Fix Areas -> Creature References: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #9520 // BG1 Animations for Exported PCs -> Patch all PCs without prompting: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #9620 // BG1 Animations for Saved Games -> Patch all characters without prompting: v5~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #9910 // Saved Game Animation Fixer -> Correct all animations IA has changed: v5

Difficulty - Core (Normal on level up and spell memorization). 
Will act in my usual manner: Total Annihilation of Foes, 100% Area exploring, Band (or rather Harem) Of Six: Jaheira, Viconia, Imoen, Nalia, Mazzy.

to be continued...