Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts
Serena the Monk (L28):

Having sided with the Shadow Thieves long ago, Serena did Aran's first quest. On the way to the docks, she had her first nighttime encounter with a vampire. As it turned out single vampires were not a problem. Having killed Hareishan, she went to talk to Mook and defeated whatshisname. The second task was trivial.

Before going after Bodhi, Serena went to the first level of Watcher's Keep where she cleared everything except the statues and obtained the Crimson Dart+3 (returning). She leveled to level 29. HLA pick: Dragon Fist (2 total).

Serena was finally ready to kill Bodhi. The SCS II vampires present a rather different experience from vanilla with their constant Hiding in Shadows and rather erratic movement patterns. Tanova was the first vampire to fall, a victim of Dragon Fist (Breach) and straight up melee -- but not before she'd drained Serena of two levels. The golem was not a challenge and Lunar Stance was used against the remaining vampires. Clearing the rest of the catacombs was just a question of casting Lunar Stance, killing a few vampires and retreating to the outside to rest/restore levels once in a while. This was also Serena's first experience of the Drink Blood ability of the SCS II vampires. it drains 1 CON per hit... not a huge deal, but the drain lasts for a looooong time (~ 8 hours).

Serena reached level 30 while clearing Bodhi's dungeon. HLA pick: Feet of the Wind. This HLA increases movement speed by ridiculous amounts. This can be useful, but FotW was mainly taken as a prerequisite to Faster than the Eye (aka. Teleport)... which might be useful for escaping from complete surrounds.

Serena finally killed Bodhi (no shot, sorry), did the final Helm temple quest, bought various consumables (potions and a few green scrolls) and went off to Spellhold. The only remaining major quest was the Planar Sphere.

When she went to Spellhold, Serena was at level 30 with 5.1M experience.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
Wierdo and her merry band are also about to enter Spellhold, having completed EVERYTHING (I think) in Chapter 2 and Watcher's Keep and killed Demogorgon, even Kangaxx. All with an install that includes SCSII, Ascension, Improved Vampires/undead, Improved Fiends and Smarter Mages/Priests.

The party is on about 4.3m experience each.

Wierdo Gnome Illusionist(15)/Thief(19)
Annakin Human Berserker/Mage (12/18)
Bruce Human Monk(26)
Starria Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric (14/17)
Jaheira Half-Elf Fighter(16)/Druid(17)
Mazzy Halfling Paladin(21)

Did the Dungeon Crawl adventure and Wierdo got caught in a clever lightning trap designed to bounce the lightning back and forth over the victim, thus giving her a dozen or more electrical jolts which would kill even the stoutest barbarian.

Fortunately for Wierdo, she was wearing Jaheira's Harper Pin which give 100% immunity to electricity, so it just ticked instead. I had to laugh.

Improved Kangaxx was not too difficult (given that the party can now best Demogorgon). He didn't get to imprison anyone, but did get off two time stops and an ADHW - which only did any real damage to Starria. Then Kangaxx found out how dangerous Bruce (level 26 monk) can be when immune to Time Stop!

Now the party is about to penetrate Bodhi's lair in the graveyard. It should be very dangerous with all the vampire/Bodhi improvements on my install. Wish them luck ...

Edited by Wierdo, 13 August 2011 - 04:34 AM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Hi guys. After a lengthy break, I think I'm ready to rejoin the challenge once again. My mods are as follows:

BG2 Fixpack
Item Revisions V3 (beta)
Spell Revisions
1PP
Unfinished Business
Banter Pack
Quest Pack
Item Pack
Tyris Flare NPC
NPC Kits
Rogue Rebalancing
Wizard Slayer Rebalancing
BG2 Tweaks
SCSII
aTweaks
Level 1 NPCs
Widescreen mod

My main char this time is an elven Sorcerer named Kael.

Posted Image

Irenicus dungeon is pretty much the same boring romp as always, except for mephits who are now an actual threat, courtesy of aTweaks. They have gained a couple of new abilities which can be dangerous if you are caught unprepared. Apparently, they can now gate-in some reinforcements too. The steam and salt mephits seem to be especially nasty with their stunning attacks. Thankfully, Minsc is immune to a ton of stuff while in berserk mode so he handles them without too much trouble. Another point of interest, through either Item Revisions or Item Pack Kael was able to find both the Helm and the Cloak of Balduran before leaving the dungeon.

Posted Image

Outside, Imoen and Irenicus are taken away and Kael heads for the Slums. He drops Minsc off at the Copper Coronet and picks up Anomen and Nalia. After talking to Delon and the Cowled Wizards at the Government district, the party leaves for Umar Hills where they pick up and Valygar who has been changed into a Wizard Slayer using the Level1 NPC mod. This should be a nice counter to the SCSII mages, especially with the new abilities added by the Wizard Slayer Rebalancing mod. Kael also picks up Tyris Flare, a mod NPC who was given the Blade bardic kit.

Posted Image

The party heads back to Atkhatla where they resolve the mystery of the circus tent at the promenade and rid the Copper Coronet of the slavers. While selling off some loot Kael notices that he's getting shortchanged. Apparently, Item Revisions' new store component greatly reduces the amount of money that you get for selling items. After everyone rests up, Nalia reminds Kael about the troubles at her keep so the party heads there next.

Party stats:

Kael - Sorcerer(10)
Jaheira - Fighter(8)/Druid(10)
Anomen - Fighter(7/Cleric(9)
Nalia - Swashbuckler(11)
Tyris Flare - Blade(11)
Valygar - Wizard Slayer(9)

Edited by Thailog, 13 August 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Wierdo wrote...

Wierdo and her merry band are also about to enter Spellhold, having completed EVERYTHING (I think) in Chapter 2 and Watcher's Keep and killed Demogorgon, even Kangaxx.

Nice to see you're making progress. :)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Noywad the plain fighter entering the challenge...

Noywad just recently completed a solo no-reload of BG 1. He will also do BG 2 solo, however he won't for ToB (if he makes it that and have to say I doubt it). When I imported him, his base stats apparently don't allow to kit to a berserker, so just kept him a fighter. Here is his character sheet.

Imoen helped Noywad open a trapped painting then sent her on her way Also freed Minsc and Jaheira then told them to beat it. He might let PCs join temporarily for role-playing reasons, but when their quest is done will boot them out.

EDIT: I shadowkeepered a bag of holding since I am playing solo. If anyone objects let me know and will take it out, thanks.

Edited by corey_russell, 13 August 2011 - 05:06 PM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts

corey_russell wrote...

When I imported him, his base stats apparently don't allow to kit to a berserker, so just kept him a fighter. Here is his character sheet.

Possibly because lawful aligned characters aren't allowed to be berserkers.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Ah interesting thanks, will keep that in mind for next time.

Saint of Sinners

Saint of Sinners
  • Members
  • 202 posts
Hey, good job, everyone.

I miss running solo NR through BG2. I'm still in the middle of playtesting my custom kit, which is a bit overpowered in some places and underpowered in others. Just to make a point, at lvl20, it can decimate liches with ease but at even at lvl50, it fails to take down the Ascension battle solo even with some concessions made (ie. Balthy, duplicate Gaxx rings via CLUA, etc).

Anyway, good luck to everyone. Hoping to get back into NR soon enough. I'm starting to hate the death screen already. :/

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Noywad the level 9 dwarven fighter update 1:

@Saint of Sinners: Good to hear what you were up to. More runs are always welcome... : )

Noywad made it out of Chateau Irenicus alive. Normally this wouldn't merit much comment but I was soloing a non-thief so that definitely changed some of the things that were done:
1) I did not free the genie. Mainly as Noywad currently has no defense to that stun the mephit does, and I cant sanctuary or hide in shadows past them. I don't need the sword of chaos in any case, as in most cases Noywad will be using either sword and shield style or if the situation permits it dual-wielding. Miss out on some experience, but it's not like there is a lack of experience in a solo BG 2 game.
2) I did not try to battle the cambion, primarily because the trap before you meet him can do some serious damage, and I did not want to burn my precious healing potions for a measly +1 bastard sword.
3) In Ellesime's room, I only went for the portal key, again wanting to conserve heal potions. I will miss out on the equalizer but consider that a small loss. Eating a trap for the helm of balduran, however I thought was worth it.
4) In a similar vein, I did not free the "man" trapped behind glass in the room off the wand pedestal room. Did not want to burn precious heal potions setting off traps, there wasn't anything I needed here anyways
5) I had a scary moment with the memphit portals. As far I know I have no sure-fire defense to the color spray (or at least I think that's what it is) and it knocked me unconcious - I was thinking will my run end here? But no, Noywad shook it off in time.

After I was done selling my junk, I was thinking, what should a level 9 dwarven solo fighter start with? He is still using an "excellent" axe (he has ** in axes) as his primary weapon. I remembered a +2 axe in the graveyard. Of course got ambushed by Sunai and her goons. Amaazingly the entire slaver contingent was bested by a lone dwarf armed with an "excellent" axe. Guess all their magic items didn't help them. I got into the graveyard, remembered the crypt the axe was in (guarded by a trap of course), and with DUHM I couldn't open it. I tried it again and it did? Was shocked but good enough for me. I wasted no time going to Ribald's to identify it. While I was at Ribald's bought a reflection shield. I remembered how it was so useful for Alesia so didn't want to be without it, it could be quite handy in mugger ambushes as well, less heal potions to burn.

With a magical axe and shield in place, I thought I would be tough enough to solve the circus problem - I was correct I was indeed.

I didn't want to go to the Copper Coronet quite yet, because then Nalia's quest timer would start. I am not sure I am tough enough for Torgal (I have a tough time enough with full parties on him - I always win, but the frontliners take a huge beating). Even the Umber Hulks and the Yuan-ti mage guarding the bedroom key could give me issues.

So what to do, what to do...I decided the big Trademeet quest could be done with a single invisibility potion. That is I show up in the grove, talk to the druid that shows up shortly after arriving, then invis all the way to Cernd and have him challenge Faldhorn (he always wins). This worked.

As for the Dao Genies, I had purchased a protection from petrification from Ribald's earlier. I knew they were casters, so thought I had better use a haste potion as well, and DUHM. Charged, chugged a few heal potions and success!

I reported my success to the mayor and he was quite pleased. I am stll level 9. I checked the new merchant and noticed the dwarven throwing hammer. That will be quite nice, and plan to get it later. But think in this early going proctection is much higher priority. So got the cloak of displacement and the belt of inertial barrier, replacing girdle of piercing. I will still use the girdle, but only really need it when dealing with backstabbing thieves.

While thinking of what to do next, I decided I should be able to free Hendak. With the shield of harmony have protection from most of the caster's disabling spells, and then could equip the shield of reflection to be immune to the beastmaster's attacks. I have never done this before, I but also realized I could fight the creatures in the first two cells before triggering the major battle with the beastmaster. After thinking about it, also realized the two bears that would get released, no reason I couldn't back off into the larger ring area and just sling, run, sling etc. until the bears are dead. Then should be able to take out what's left.

Edited by corey_russell, 14 August 2011 - 06:47 AM.

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

corey_russell wrote...
I didn't want to go to the Copper Coronet quite yet, because then Nalia's quest timer would start.

You can agree to Nalia's quest and tell her you'll meet her at the keep. This is not timered -- it's only timered if you let Nalia join you. (Weird, I know.)

corey_russell wrote...
I am not sure I am tough enough for Torgal (I have a tough time enough with full parties on him - I always win, but the frontliners take a huge beating). Even the Umber Hulks and the Yuan-ti mage guarding the bedroom key could give me issues.

I usually just leave Torgal for later -- there's no rush to kill him. You can kill everything else in the keep. You'll want Lilarcor or Shield of Harmony to protect from confusion.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
I got into the graveyard, remembered the crypt the axe was in (guarded by a trap of course), and with DUHM I couldn't open it. I tried it again and it did? Was shocked but good enough for me.

Bashing locks works on a % chance.  If your strength is high enough this can be 100% and low enough 0%, but there is a grey area in the middle.  Hence it's worth having a few goes before giving up.  I remember in one run in the Candlekeep catacombs I had strength 24 and knew this was sufficient to bash the tomb with the strength tome in, but it took 23 attempts to succeed (I normally give up after 5-10 unless I know it's possible)..

Sounds like you've got a nice strategy going - keep it upPosted Image.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Kael, the elven Sorcerer, part 2

Nalia leads the party into the keep through a secret passage where they encounter a group of trolls. Fortunately, Kael has Melf's Minute Meteors while Jahera makes good use of her Flame Blade spell (Spell Revisions really makes this worthwhile). After releasing Nalia's aunt the party takes on the golems in the chapel. All except the Iron Golem are dispatched since the party currently has only one +3 weapon (Flail of Ages) and that's probably not enough.

Kael remembers seeing Flametongue for sale at the docks (Item Revisions relocated it) so the group tracks back there. Instead of buying the sword, Kael gives Tyris a Potion of Master Thievery and has her cast Luck on herself. This brings her up to 108% in pickpocketing which is enough to snatch Flametongue from the unsuspecting shopkeeper. While Tyris is still under the effects of the potion, Kael sends her pickpocket the Amnish Guards at the promenade which yields a bunch of powerful potions (courtesy of SCSII). She also steals a number of fire and acid arrows from the local fletcher. Having saved some cash, Kael decides to spend it on acquiring the Guardian shield for Jaheira before the party heads back to the keep.

The Iron Golem is dealt with as follows: Jaheira summons a Shambler (immune to blunt damage) to keep it busy while a summoned Lesser Earth Elemental, Tyris and Anomen keep running in circles around the golem, occasionally stopping to land a swipe. It works, and the huge construct eventually collapses, though not before poisoning Anomen and Tyris times. In the basement, Torgal and his cronies fall to several Sunfires from Kael who charged into the fray head on, relying on his Stoneskin and Mirror Image for protection.

Posted Image

After the keep is liberated, the party heads back to the slums to deal with the remaining slavers, resolve the Harper Hold quest and finish Maevar's tasks. Valygar finally gets to show off his wizard slaying skills against Rayic Gathras using Shatter Magic to bring down his defenses.

Posted Image

This ability works like an on-hit Breach for one round, but it only removes a single protection spell. Also, you need to actually hit the target which made things difficult with Rayic since he used Protection from Magic Weapons together with Protection from Normal Missiles and our resident Wizard Slayer normally uses a bow. However, after Valygar switched to a non-enchanted katana, the wizard went down fairly quickly.

Edwin then provides the documents which Kael shows to Renal who finally allows the party to take out Maevar's guild. After doing some shopping at the Promenade, the group finishes the skinner and illithium quests in the Bridge District and deals with the Fallen Paladins. Kael then has everyone rest up at the Five Flagons while he ponders the party's next steps.

Party stats:

Kael - Sorcerer(11)
Jaheira - Fighter(9)/Druid(12)
Anomen - Fighter(7)/Cleric(10)
Nalia - Swashbuckler(12)
Tyris Flare - Blade(12)
Valygar - Wizard Slayer(10)

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

AnonymousHero wrote...

corey_russell wrote...
I didn't want to go to the Copper Coronet quite yet, because then Nalia's quest timer would start.

You can agree to Nalia's quest and tell her you'll meet her at the keep. This is not timered -- it's only timered if you let Nalia join you. (Weird, I know.)

corey_russell wrote...
I am not sure I am tough enough for Torgal (I have a tough time enough with full parties on him - I always win, but the frontliners take a huge beating). Even the Umber Hulks and the Yuan-ti mage guarding the bedroom key could give me issues.

I usually just leave Torgal for later -- there's no rush to kill him. You can kill everything else in the keep. You'll want Lilarcor or Shield of Harmony to protect from confusion.

Ok I got a follow-up question then. If you tell Nalia you will catch up with her later, but when you finally get to D'Arnise Keep you let her join you then does she get upset if by the time you let her join you then it has been mroe than 10 days from when you talked in Copper Coronet? Or would the timer start the moment she joined you?

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

corey_russell wrote...
If you tell Nalia you will catch up with her later, but when you finally get to D'Arnise Keep you let her join you then does she get upset if by the time you let her join you then it has been mroe than 10 days from when you talked in Copper Coronet? Or would the timer start the moment she joined you?

I'm not sure since I never let her join. She will definitely offer to join you after any amout of time, though, so I'd be surprised if she were to then immediately leave again because of a lapsed timer.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Nowyad the level 10 dwarven fighter - update 2

So Noywad hears about a slaver problem in Letethian's bar. Noywad defeats the slavers and the beastlord using the strategy outlined in my previous post - it worked perfectly. We bought somethings from Bernard: stonefire for a anti-troll weapon, and also azuredge for a +3 ranged weapon and sling of seeking.

Hendak then asked us to deal with the rest of the slavers in the moored ship. We tried to enter via the front door but it was locked and we couldn't bash it open.

So then we tried to get there via the sewers. While in the sewers there was a strange quest, which we completed without much incident. Main thing was I had to be very careful to walk around the petrification trap in the center of the area. As usual, I use shield of harmony whenever casters are around, and if they are meleeing or otherwise dead, i switch to shield of reflection to negate ranged attacks.

I finally accessed the slaver ship. A lot of hold persons were sent Noywad's way, but his shield of harmony protected him. The battle lasted a long time, so long in fact Captain Haegan ran out of throwing axes and approached to melee. A large number of slavers were hacked to death with Noywad's axe, their bodies surrounding Noywad.

Oh I forgot to mention, Noywad is using full plate. He took that from Droth (that guy in Nalia's quest). With -8 AC, he tanked the trolls great.

For the prismatic spray trap, Noywad ran to the left to avoid its effect. Noywad used some "divide and conquer" on the remaining slavers. He reported his success to Hendak and Hendak was quite pleased. This also put Noywad to level 10.

Noywad now had the funds to purchase a rod of resurrection. I think I may need the big heals against Torgal, and even Glacias as well. D'Arnise Keep is our next target.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Noywad the level 11 dwarven fighter - update 3

Noywad arrives at D'Arnise Keep and allows Nalia to join temporarily. From a role-playing point of view, it always made sense to me to have her along. It's her keep, she would be quite interested in how we liberate it, including making sure we don't "liberate" valuable items. She would also have advice and know the "lay of the land" so to speak. From a pratical point of view there's another reason as well - she can kill the iron golem with polymorph self and her cloudkills are useful for both the umber hulks and Torgal and his buddies. Finally, the difference of reward with her is 10,000 gold - that is, if she's in the group alive when you exit the keep after killing Torgal, you get 10650 gold, but if you report your success at the palisade without her being in the group I believe it's only 650 gold.

Thanks to Noywad's high strength and -9 AC, he definitely could have soloed the keep if he had wanted to. The trash trolls could only hit Noywad on a critical. Battles of note:
1) Yuan-ti Mage - pretty anti-climatic. With shield of harmony protecting Noywad, the mage didn't have a lot of caps so to speak. And worse, Noywad interrupted the mage like 3 times with the elemental damage from the stonefire getting through.
2) Glaicus - I'm sure Noywad could have soloed him, but Nalia managed to hold him so that made things simple.
3) Umber Hulks - Noywad stood in the doorway and managed to pull them piece-meal. They got some hits in, but not enough to put Noywad in any danager. The final pull was 3 umber hulks at once. Nalia fired a cloudkill right on Noywad to speed up the kills. After the last umber hulk fell, got some good news - Noywad reaches level 11.
4) Torgal - Noywad buffs with fire giant potion and haste potion. He creeps forward slowly managing to pull Torgal only. Torgal did not do much damage to Noywad, though Noywad did have to gulp a couple of heal potions. But even if no Nalia he could have done it as he had rod of resurrection heals available. Somewhat ironically, Torgal fell FASTER than with my parties. Noywad's melee Thac0 is very good (2 with the strength potion) so that may have been part of it (my parties miss Torgal a lot)

Nalia was quite pleased with this success and made Noywad Lord of the Keep.

We sold our junk at Trademeet. With her quest complete, I bid Nalia good bye. Since I had the cash I went ahead and purchased the dwarven throwing hammer. Still using a sling, but when I get another proficiency point (next level), I will put in warhammers and then I can put away the sling for the most part..

I decided maybe now Noywad can do the Umar Hills quests. He has a protection from undead in case things get rough. But first I need it on my map so headed to the government district. I found a drow who claimed to know me. I do recall rescuing her in Pelvale. Sounded like she was being treated unjustly, so Noywad intervened. Only two melee hits with his Flail of Ages was required to kill each of the fanatics. After rescuing her sent her on her way. I did meet the boy who put Immesvale on my map for me. I also found a gnome who talks a lot. I bailed him out of his jam, but didn't let him join either.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Update of BlackStrider & Co #1

Well, after crazy celebration party BlackStrider woke up in a cell (which was quite logical) with completely empty head. *Who (or What) am I? Were am I?? And what that guy wanna from me??? Does he thought that his colorful tricks will harm me more than I've already harmed???? Ha-Ha two times, santa simplisita!* Soon his experiments were interrupted when a Golem informs him of an attack. He teleports away and I was released by my trustful Imoen. My memory slowly returned to me. *Where are an other Band members?*- I thought. Soon enough me found our bass (or boss? I still don't remember exactly) Jaheira. Khalid (drums) and others are nowhere seen tho... In nearby cell we found that guy from Nashkel, overdosed with mushrooms.  Well, in our current state we are definitely *brothers in mind*, so we decided  to pick him for a while. Together newly assembled Band Of (currently) Four managed to escape that strange dungeon, washed it up along the way. On a daylight Imoen was forced away from us by some robed freaks. We sold carried junk to nearby seller and bid farewell to Minsc. Sweet duo then solved local Circus problem and headed to the Copper Coronet where they joined Nalia (current substitute of Imoen in a Band). Than Trio liberated Hendak and on his request set free remaining slaves.
Now Band Of Three is resting in renewed Copper Coronet and planning their next move.

Edit #1.
Band decided to tier up some loose ends and deal with Mencar Pebblecrusher & Co. We were ambushed on the way to Promenade by Suna Seni with gang:

Posted Image Posted Image

and after dispatching them continued on the main task (made some shopping along the way - Girdle of Strength for Jaheira and Reflection Shield for meself):

Posted Image Posted Image

Puffed up freaks were eliminated, supplied us with some useful stuff.

Now it is time to pick up Viconia and onto the Nalia's Keep.

Edit #2
So, Band saved Viconia from auto da fé and after conversation with Tolgerias about tracking Valygar for the Cowled Wizards and Delon about the Umar Hills joined force headed to Nalia's Keep only to be ambushed once again. After dispatching enemies we were asked to deliver poisoned man to the Harper's Compound in the Docks. There we met Xzar  who wants us to rescue his friend, Montaron  from the Harpers. This led to one more *errand* quest - get rid of a *vile* mage named Prebek. BlackStrider soloed that one casting Chaos under Improved Invisibility and Polymorphed to Flind. Finally we gained admittance to the Harper's base. There we caught a bird, that we thought was polymorphed Montaron and brought it to Xzar only to witness his death from the harper's assassin. So far so good... rest in peace...
After visiting Valygar's home here in the Docks Band Of Four finally arrived to the Nalia's Keep without further sidetracks.

Edit #3

Nalia's Keep is liberated. Not much issues but some very nervous moments... Yuan-ti mage was *Insect Plagued* and killed, Glaicas *Doomed* and *Held* (then killed). Jaheira eliminated *small* golems in Chapel, BlackStrider (Polymorphed to Flind) dealt with Iron Golem. In the Cellar Nalia drinked Potion of Mind Focus to fetch Shield Amulet. And then... BlackStrider fed Umber Hulks (under Sanctuary and Chaotic Commands) with Dog Stew and decided to cast Cloudkill on them. Was interrupted (Hulks move very fast) and hit badly (no stoneskins at the moment - nota bene #1: don't be daft, BlackStrider!). Luckily only two Hulks engage. Jaheira rushed forward and switch Hulks attention on herself, so BlackStrider managed to escape and heal. Nalia cast Cloudkill, Hulks died but not before they managed to confuse Jaheira... so she just stood in the epicentre of Cloudkill and took continuous damage (nota bene #2 - be ready with Death Spell for Hulks. Much less risky). Thanks the Gods Confusion wore off when the only 6HP left and she immideately drank potion of healing. Huff!!!
TorGal himself was not much difficult (Band buffed over the top):

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

Now it is time to pay visit to Aran Linvail (for Amulet of Power) and onto the Umar Hills (for Mazzy and Valygar).

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 16 August 2011 - 09:06 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Noywad the solo dwarven level 13 fighter - update 4

So as discussed in my previous post, Noywad headed to Umar Hills area. I talked to a cowled wizard here and he said he needed some mimic blood. I found what I thought might be the mimic, I equipped the arbane sword because I wasn't 100% certain the shield of harmony would protect him. Then switched to stonefire and whacked the mimic dead. The mimic did 30 dmg in a single acid hit. I hate to be a sqishy caster against this thing.

At the ranger's cabin found clues that whatever the problem is, it's source is Umar Temple area so headed there next. The individual shades were definitely no match for him. The huge shadow ambush boxed him in, but with his stonefire he was able to burn his way through to the mirror.

He has a single protection from undead scroll, but he isn't willing to use it quite yet. He pulled the next room with shade wolves and skeleton warriors piece meal as much as he could. Just a few heal potions needed. While getting the symbol from the statue and getting the light gem, he had to battle a few shades but no problem there.

The ambush at the bridge was handled with no issues as well (his -9 AC probably has something to do with it). He then used a fire resistance potion to get the items in the lava, since he doesn't have any fire resistance yet. That helped with the trap as well. Next room Noywad was SURE there would be some powerful undead, so he activated his protection from undead and walked in. The bone golem attacked but the skeletal warriors and greater mummy ignored Noywad. Bone golem sees through invisibility I guess? Any case whacked two bone golems down, did gulp quite a number of heal potions. The rest of the undead in that room, since they don't fight back were a simple matter to deal with.

NEED INPUT ON THIS MATTER:
Next room was the "good" undead. I still had protection from undead active. I was able to initiate dialog, so I thought everything was OK. However, I didn't know it yet, but a major problem happened here. Normally after giving the good undead the child's bones, you are supposed to get the shadow dragon wardstone and the dawn's light gem. BUT, I didn't get it. Even if the child couldn't see Noywad, I see no reason why she couldn't hold out her hand and say "take these". This would require no physical contact whatsoever. Later the shadow dragon went hostile, and I ran back to the temple and discovered this problem. I shadowkeepered the gem since I did give the bones, also because it was impossible to go back and get it again and also impossible to finish this quest without it. If someone reading this thinks this is unfair somehow, let me know and I will end the run. Thanks.

The protection from undead was still active for the next batch of powerful undead. Somewhat amusingly, the only undead that could see Noywad was a bone golem, but his fellow undead weren't moving and were "boxing" him in. So Noywad just used his dwarven hammer until the bone golem died, it never got a swing on him. The rest of this batch of undead were finished, and the then the protection wore off.

The shadow dragon was still hostile, so Noywad ran right past it to Shade Lord's room. It did not follow. (leader's note: I can't use amulet of power, I have no access to negative plane protection. This means the level drain breath attack is quite a problem for me. I might reconsider this after getting out of the Underdark with more levels and maybe some HLAs under my belt).

I did not remember at all what spells the shade lord casts, I put up a frost giant potion, haste potion and attacked him first. He went down very fast, even with his stoneskins. The rest of the shades were no problem either. Quest completed!

The Immesvale mayor was quite pleased. Umar quests got me 2 levels. I fought some rangers to get to the mayor. I used ranged the entire battle.

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

corey_russell wrote...
Bone golem sees through invisibility I guess?

Nope. They're just not classified as undead. (Which I think technically is right. It's really just a golem that happens to be made up of bones.)

corey_russell wrote...
Any case whacked two bone golems down, did gulp quite a number of heal potions. The rest of the undead in that room, since they don't fight back were a simple matter to deal with.

Are you using Mirror Image from Ilbratha?

corey_russell wrote...
(The thing about not getting the gem.)

Personally, I think it's a bug. (And it is indeed fixed by the G3 fixpack.)

Btw, it's eminently possible to complete the whole Temple Ruins dungeon (including Shade Lord) with a single Protection From Undead scroll if you have decent melee output (which you have) and are willing the use a couple of Potions of Speed. (The first potion will probably run out.)

corey_russell wrote...

The shadow dragon was still hostile, so Noywad ran right past it to Shade Lord's room. It did not follow. (leader's note: I can't use amulet of power, I have no access to negative plane protection. This means the level drain breath attack is quite a problem for me. I might reconsider this after getting out of the Underdark with more levels and maybe some HLAs under my belt).

The IMoD has level drain protection and is available pretty easily?!?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
[quote]AnonymousHero wrote...

[quote]corey_russell wrote...
Bone golem sees through invisibility I guess?
[/quote]
Nope. They're just not classified as undead. (Which I think technically is right. It's really just a golem that happens to be made up of bones.)
[/quote]

Ah interesting, thanks. Never knew that before...of course skeletons are just bones too, guess they are not undead? (that's a rhetorical question)

Any case whacked two bone golems down, did gulp quite a number of heal potions. The rest of the undead in that room, since they don't fight back were a simple matter to deal with.
[/quote]
[quote]AH wrote...
Are you using Mirror Image from Ilbratha?
[/quote]
Yes. Used it on a bone golem.

(The thing about not getting the gem.)
[/quote]
[quote] AH wrote...
Personally, I think it's a bug. (And it is indeed fixed by the G3 fixpack.)
[/quote]
Awesome. If you and me and the G3 people all think it's a bug, that's a good enough consensus for me.

[quote]AH wrote...
Btw, it's eminently possible to complete the whole Temple Ruins dungeon (including Shade Lord) with a single Protection From Undead scroll if you have decent melee output (which you have) and are willing the use a couple of Potions of Speed. (The first potion will probably run out.)
[/quote]

I hear you. I don't have any dual-wield pips yet, so my melee isn't that awesome yet. (I messed up my proficiencies when I imported him in BG 2. I gave him proficiencies as if he were a berserker, and then after I did it, remembered belatedly that he couldn't choose that so is just a plain fighter. Being as this is a no-reload I had to live with it). Using sword and shield at the moment (less heal potion consumption). Also haste potions pretty important to me and in limited supply. And I didn't really need the protection from undead except for those two large groups of powerful undead (which the scroll lasted for that).

[/quote]
The IMoD has level drain protection and is available pretty easily?!?
[/quote]

I assume you mean improved mace of disruption. I never have been able to make that, is that a vanilla item? I notice it's listed in a fixpack does it even work vanilla? Also, in order to even get the basic one you need to get to the blood pool and at the moment the vamps would own my posterior. (the level drains would kill me)

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...
I assume you mean improved mace of disruption. I never have been able to make that, is that a vanilla item? I notice it's listed in a fixpack does it even work vanilla? Also, in order to even get the basic one you need to get to the blood pool and at the moment the vamps would own my posterior. (the level drains would kill me)

Could you use undead protection scroll just to nip in and get it (though I don't know if you can improve the mace in vanilla, I'm afraid)?

silenceall

silenceall
  • Members
  • 111 posts
You can improve the mace in vanilla (by having Cromwell use Sarle's illithium) though I have no idea if there any bugs to the MoD or IMoD in vanilla (i.e. without G3).

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts
There is no bug related to MoD that i know of, not sure about IMoD as I've never upgraded it before. Far as I know there is no bug with weapons except a few low lvl ones.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts
It's Azuredge that's buggy in vanilla, not the mace - the former uses for anti-undead effect the "slay" opcode (like FoD) which most undead (except vampires) are immune to.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Noywad the level 15 dwarven fighter - update 5

Noywad continues to make progress. He did a lot of LITTLE things past few days.

Noywad Character Sheet
Noywad equipment and  configuration
Proficiencies:
** Axe
** Flail
* Mace
* dagger (with the idea of getting two pips, it's a way a berserker can get extra attacks with ranged weapons. But when I did this initially, forgot that despite the plan of being a berserker that didn't pan out...)
* warhammer (when using sword and shield, ranged weapon is dwarven throwing warhammer)
* sling (needed this in the early going, to have a ranged weapon with my shield. Much less important now)
* two weapon style (I JUST got this last level)

Saves:
Everything is negative except petrify I need a 1 to save...this is part of the reason I switched to two weapon style, if a spell has a save I should be able to do so, unless I get doomed and malisoned or something like that...I still have a charm protection helmet, however, since some spells say save at -4 etc. or be charmed.

Here are all the things Noywad got done:
* Purchased helm of charm protection and boots of grounding from the Dawn Temple
* purchased Shield of Balduran
* purchased some undead scrolls and a storm giant potion. I used the last two items to bust in the door at the gate district inn, and beat down the lich to sell his wands and get the daystar (yay, ambushes should be much less a problem). Got an invisibility ring, which I am sure will use occassionally. The other undead scroll used to beat down the lich in the bridge district.
* purchased fire resistance potion and 3 fiery burning potions. I used these to defeat Panai in the graveyard crypts so that I would have at least one summon, Kithix, weak as he is.
* Couldn't save Mook, but beat her killer Lassal without any preparation.
* Defeated two shadow thief traitors and their contact easily
* Fought a hostile party in an abandoned warehouse in the bridge district. I had to heal a lot including a RoR heal, but victory was achieved (I used the ring of invisibility to creep next to mage to target him first. He never was able to summon his Glaberezu like he is fond of doing)
* Solved the bridge district murder case. It was the Tanner. His 2nd floor had lots of traps, however, due to some skillful walking, Noywad only had to eat one trap, and that wasn't bad at all since it was a lightning bolt trap and his boots of grounding minimized its damage. The battle below went well against the rune assassins, two ghasts and a bone golem. Lots of heals, but Noywad was in no danger of being defeated. I had switched to girdle of piercing to try to minimize the chance of a backstab. Pretty sure it could only happen on a critical as AC to piercing at that moment -16. Reporting my findings to the sergeant got Noywad level 15.
* Killed Roger's troll for him - that was child's play. Though with all those potions Roger has, you'd think he could do this himself...