Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Tenar, a gnome fighter / illusionist is transferring in after completing the BG1 thread.

He's just finished Irenicus' dungeon (good start eh CoreyPosted Image) without any problems.  Completed everything except that the vampire ran away before he could kill it.  The thief battlemage that was battling the vampire turned hostile after it had gone, but the monsters it had already summoned stayed on my side which was nice.

Tenar started the dungeon at level 7 / 7 and got to 8 / 9 just before exiting.  Here are his current stats.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Grats and good luck Grond0. Well whatever your source of failure (if there is one), it certainly won't be your stats!

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Yes - I was just thinking about those. When he was in Durlag's Tower he found a strength tome in the library guarded by greater dopplegangers and read it absent-mindedly, but I couldn't remember one being there in vanilla. Just checked a walkthrough and no mention of it there, so I think it must be added by a mod. Tenar was not supposed to be making use of any mod items in BG1 so I've used shadowkeeper to put his strength back to 19 (I won't replay Irenicus' dungeon since it was just my personal rules not to use it anyway).

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Agreed, no reason to replay it. Whether your fighter/illusionist was STR 20 or 15, a fighter/mage of any type has so many tools at his disposal (deal with the situations as a fighter, a mage or mix of both), it's difficult to see any F/M failing Irenicus Dungeon, unless I guess you picked the worst possible picks for your free spells on character creation. Or have 6 CON... : )

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Only a marginal improvement on last time I'm afraid as Tenar has just snuffed it.  He cleared the Copper Coronet + slavers and the circus and then went to see Roger in the sewers.  Seeing a party nearby he successfully drew off just one of them (Silliria - apparently a sirene) and attempted to kill it.  It was no surprise to see a charm person spell being cast at him, but it was a surprise to be affected by it.  I thought I was being careful as Tenar had a save vs spell of -1 (good enough for an automatic save against any standard charm effect spell) and also had minor spell deflection up.  The charm must therefore either have been classed as 8th or 9th level or as non-magical in nature.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Ah Grond0, guess you are learning why I ALWAYS have fighter types use helmet of charm protection, especially solo. If I were dual-wielding I would definitely be wearing that kind of helmet. Just what were you wearing for a helm anyways?

Krazy Solo

Krazy Solo
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Grond0 wrote...

Only a marginal improvement on last time I'm afraid as Tenar has just snuffed it.  He cleared the Copper Coronet + slavers and the circus and then went to see Roger in the sewers.  Seeing a party nearby he successfully drew off just one of them (Silliria - apparently a sirene) and attempted to kill it.  It was no surprise to see a charm person spell being cast at him, but it was a surprise to be affected by it.  I thought I was being careful as Tenar had a save vs spell of -1 (good enough for an automatic save against any standard charm effect spell) and also had minor spell deflection up.  The charm must therefore either have been classed as 8th or 9th level or as non-magical in nature.

Tough break...  But an advice on BG2, If it sounds tough hold off on it :D.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
I was wearing helm of Balduran (to get saves negative). 

Just loaded up the autosave repeatedly to do some testing.  The results of that were:
 - if Tenar uses no magic protection he seems to save as I would expect - tried it maybe 30 times and he never failed.
- if he casts either minor spell deflection or blur the save is an automatic failure (tried about 20 times and only ever survived when magic resistance kicked in).
- but if he equips Lilarcor before casting MSD or blur then again saves are automatic, even when Lilarcor is unequipped again.

Not sure quite what the mechanism is, but it looks like some sort of bug to me.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts
Is Sillira a succubus? You mentioned her going ethereal, which is something else succubi do.

A succubus's charm requires a save vs spell at a -8 penalty (for male pcs anyway, no penalty for females) and isn't blocked by any spell protections either. They look a lot like sirens, but are much more dangerous.

I have no idea why Blur would reduce your chance of success.

amanasleep

amanasleep
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Grond0 wrote...

I was wearing helm of Balduran (to get saves negative). 

Just loaded up the autosave repeatedly to do some testing.  The results of that were:
 - if Tenar uses no magic protection he seems to save as I would expect - tried it maybe 30 times and he never failed.
- if he casts either minor spell deflection or blur the save is an automatic failure (tried about 20 times and only ever survived when magic resistance kicked in).
- but if he equips Lilarcor before casting MSD or blur then again saves are automatic, even when Lilarcor is unequipped again.

Not sure quite what the mechanism is, but it looks like some sort of bug to me.

This is not a vanilla encounter--what mod created this?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
@Grond0: As Amanasleep says this is not a vanilla encounter. And as Poly says if that's a succubus that's much more dangerous. I do not know if that's a bug what happened - if it is you should be able to reload. Your test results sound odd somehow (that is, not sure what to make of them). Anyone have any good ideas on whether this is a bug or not?

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Noywad level 15 fighter - FINAL Update

Well I was in the process of getting the IMOD, and had a protection from undead scroll up. I thought I better take down Tanova while its active. However she was not fazed by my protection from undead at all - uh oh. So started putting the beat down on her. She tried some paltry damage spells, I was not worried about that at all. Then she tried to do a "save or else" spell like hold - hah! with my negative saves knew that was nothing as well. But THEN she did a MAZE spell! Uh oh that isn't save or else! Needless to say the game "claimed" I was killed - the run is over. Back to the drawing board in BG 1.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Well I was in the process of getting the IMOD, and had a protection from undead scroll up. I thought I better take down Tanova while its active. However she was not fazed by my protection from undead at all - uh oh. So started putting the beat down on her. She tried some paltry damage spells, I was not worried about that at all. Then she tried to do a "save or else" spell like hold - hah! with my negative saves knew that was nothing as well. But THEN she did a MAZE spell! Uh oh that isn't save or else! Needless to say the game "claimed" I was killed - the run is over. Back to the drawing board in BG 1.

Sorry for your loss Corey. That's strange though, how was she able to bypass your protection from undead scroll? Maybe I'm confusing undead with magic scroll.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Possibly her true sight lets her see me. Either that or she has innate invis. I know for a fact True Sight is in her script and she does it early. Theoretically I could have waited her true sights, but of course that would be wasting my undead scroll. That's better than dying though.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...

@Grond0: As Amanasleep says this is not a vanilla encounter. And as Poly says if that's a succubus that's much more dangerous. I do not know if that's a bug what happened - if it is you should be able to reload. Your test results sound odd somehow (that is, not sure what to make of them). Anyone have any good ideas on whether this is a bug or not?

I'm fairly sure this party is added by Chosen of Mystra Encounters, though there's only a generic reference to a sewer encounter in their readme.  Had a look in Shadowkeeper - Silliria shares the same resistances as a succubus, but has rather different affects, so it seems to be a unique creature (though may well have used a succubus as a base). 

Just tried doing some more reloading to see if I could check what the save vs spell adjustment was.  I thought -8 was conceivable (as I said in the previous post I had Tenar attacked by charm a lot of times and he never failed, but most of the time during testing he had improved invisibility up, which would improve his saves to -4).  However, I couldn't reproduce yesterday's automatic failures after casting blur or minor spell deflection - in both cases saves now seem to proceed normally, so I can only assume it was affected by other programmes running at the time. 

By cheating in stone form potions I took Tenar's save to -9 and did indeed see one successful save at -7 (which suggests a -8 adjustment).  However, the save vs spell shown on the character record kept changing during testing (-9 to -7 to -6), although the only adjustments to his save were the items worn and stone form potions, so there still seems to be something funny going on.

I'm sure that some sort of bug was affecting things, but it does seem clear that Tenar should have had a chance of failing against the charm effect, so I accept that it's back to the drawing board!

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Feel sorry, Grond0 and Corey...

Microupdate of BlackStrider & Co.
Band arrived to the Umar Hills, done local quests and joined Valygar. Now on the way to the Temple Ruins.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Sorry if I suggested that was a good idea - you should know better than to trust anything I say about BG2Posted Image.  It might be worth carrying a potion of magic protection around with you.  There's plenty of time to quaff that before the maze activates on you and will give you a 50/50 chance of survival (probably better as you may well have an item or two giving magic resistance as well)..

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

Grond0 wrote...

corey_russell wrote...

Sorry if I suggested that was a good idea - you should know better than to trust anything I say about BG2Posted Image.  It might be worth carrying a potion of magic protection around with you.  There's plenty of time to quaff that before the maze activates on you and will give you a 50/50 chance of survival (probably better as you may well have an item or two giving magic resistance as well)..

I just forgot that maze was part of her script and also didn't anticipate she would be able to see me with my protection from undead active.  I never even realized I needed a maze defense. This is after all, my first attempt at a no-reload solo of BG 2.  Live and learn...

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts

corey_russell wrote...

Possibly her true sight lets her see me. Either that or she has innate invis. I know for a fact True Sight is in her script and she does it early. Theoretically I could have waited her true sights, but of course that would be wasting my undead scroll. That's better than dying though.

Actually, vanilla game Tanova isn't flagged as being undead (for purpose of things like MoD and ProUndead scrolls). This is because she was 'copied' from some other mage with the same spellbook and script - like the halfling Kayardi in the planar sphere, the devs probably forget to change her ids.

Note that even undead that can see through invisibility - like vampiric mists - won't notice a character protected from undead.

corey_russell wrote...

I just forgot that maze was part of her script and also didn't anticipate she would be able to see me with my protection from undead active.  I never even realized I needed a maze defense. This is after all, my first attempt at a no-reload solo of BG 2.  Live and learn...

Unfortunately there is none for fighters (other than berzerkers) until you get the greenstone amulet - for a paladin Carsomyr + keeping a potion of magic protection handy might be enough, but I wouldn't trust myself to drink it in time, as Maze casts so fast.

Edited by polytope, 19 August 2011 - 12:01 PM.

Thailog

Thailog
  • Members
  • 137 posts
Kael, the elven Sorcerer, Part 3

After catching a play at the Five Flagons the party heads to the sewers beneath the Temple District in search of Haer'Dalis. After taking care of the Rakshasa and Roger's troll, the party cleans out Mekrath's lair. On their way back, they get into a fight a group of thugs after Kael refuses to pay them tribute for passing through their turf.

Posted Image

Valygar strips the defenses of the group's mage using Shatter Magic while Jaheira lets loose an Insect Plague which completely scrambles the enemies' spellcasting. With the enemy casters disabled, the rest of the fight becomes trivial. After collecting the loot, the group goes to do some shopping at the Promenade. After restocking their supplies, they get attacked by another band of thugs while resting in a nearby inn. Employing a similar strategy as before, these ruffians are taken down as well.

Having had enough of the city, Jaheira talks Kael into looking into some business in Trademeet. There, the party learns that a rogue druid sect is responsible for the recent animal attacks and goes off to investigate. In the druid grove, they dispatch a bunch of trolls and some Shadow Druids before running into a group of Rakshasas. This fight goes much harder than expected as SCSII significantly improves these creatures.

Posted Image

Their leader is able to hold her own against the entire party, constantly throwing Cloudkill and Dispel Magic at them. In the end, the group was forced to retreat outside and wait until some of the creature's protections wore off. This was mainly due to the fact that Rakshasas constantly cast Protection from Magical Weapons while being innately immune to normal weapons which makes them impervious to Valygar's standard Wizard Slaying approach. After the creature ran out of PfMWs, the group managed to take it down with relative ease. Next up, Jaheira challenges Faldorn and manages to defeat her by hitting her with Insect Plague and summoning a Fire Elemental.

Posted Image

After restoring order to Trademeet the group acquires a bunch of magical items, including the Cloak of Displacement and the Belt of Inertial Barrier. At the same time, Anomen gets recalled to his order where he receives his knight title and becomes a full-fledged Priest of Helm (courtesy of NPC Kits). Meanwhile, Nalia attends her father's funeral and receives some not so vague threats from her ex-fiancé. Jaheira pays another visit to the Harper Hold where her former allies attempt to capture the party but they are no match for her Insect Plague and Kael's Sunfire. Having enough cash on his hands, Kael decides to pay off Bodhi and heads for the Graveyard.

Party stats:

Kael - Sorcerer(12)
Jaheira - Fighter(9)/Druid(12)
Anomen - Fighter(7)/Priest of Helm(11)
Nalia - Swashbuckler(13)
Tyris Flare - Blade(13)
Valygar - Wizard Slayer(11)

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts
Serena the Monk (L30):

Having arrived in Brynnlaw, Serena made a beeline towards Perth. He couldn't do much to stop her. Serena reached level 31. HLA pick: Faster Than The Eye. This provides teleportation.

Unfortunately, the Book of Infinite Spells landed on Burning Hands with the very first turn of the page. Sigh. True Seeing would have been immensely useful, since Solar Stance doesn't actually seem to work as advertised with respect to dispelling invisibility. At least I've never seen it work.

Wardstone in hand, Serena went to the Asylum.

I won't bore you with the details, but here are some screenshots for the first level of the maze:

Serena reached level 32 during the first level of the maze. HLA pick: Dragon Fist (3 total).

The second level of the maze was also quickly over with. There was a somewhat oddly behaving Djinni. For some reason it started casting spells even though it couldn't see (nor even reach) Serena. Serena tried out Flip Resistances for the first time.

She leveled to 33 during the second level of the maze. HLA pick: Shadow Stance (2 total).

Serena made it through the trials, freed the asylum inmates and confronted Irenicus. Nothing fancy was required here, she just started hitting Irenicus immediately and he never really got any spells off. She leveled to L34 after the fight. HLA pick: Dragon Fist (4 total).

After the fight she used Flip Resistances for the second time. She encountered Saemon, agreed to help him, and was whisked off to Fish Central during a Gith ambush. She stayed invisible during the fight on the ship (to avoid potential death), but had to break invisibility to get the ambush-during-the-ambush to trigger.

When she'd recovered, Serena mostly just stayed invisible, but killed a priestess for her cloak, killed the Rebel Prince. She received the Gauntlets of Crushing and a magical rope for her trouble.

With the help of the magical rope, Serena started her descent into the Underdark...

Edited by AnonymousHero, 20 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts
Update of BlackStrider & Co

Band arrived to the Temple Ruins at night (or there are always so gloomy here?). BlackStrider (Invisible + Turn Undead) + Valygar (non-proficient Azuredge) cleaned outdoors. BlackStrider is lvl 10 Cleric at the moment and should destroy Shades with Turn Undead but he only *scared* them (may be this *oddity* is due to Infinity Animations installed). In the Ruins we freed and joined Mazzy so the Band is full at last.  The joy was immediately alloyed with Shadow Fiends stuned and killed Valygar. Viconia raised him from the dead and from now on there were no problems. We finished Shade Lord (skipped Shadow Dragon for now) and reported to the Mayor of Umar Hills. Next step was Trademeet. Easy tasks (Nalia even managed to steal Efreeti bottle. We summoned some skellies beforehand in case she failed and Genie went hostile but that was needless), good exp and *rep ups* so we can afford Robe of Vecna and Wand of Resurrection back in Athkatla. As there were nighttime upon arrival to Athkatla we (as *True Goths*) cleared Graveyard (visiting Nalia's father's funeral along the way) and made Aran's first job (Help Mook at the Docks).
Now we think to make some City tasks before entering Planar Sphere.

Edit #1 (Just small addition). 

Band made trip to Trademeet for Tansheron's Bow for Mazzy and Cloak of Displacement for Valygar. At the moment Nalia was abducted by Isaea Roenall. We made little rest in Druid Grove and were awakened by some bandits holding Jaheira and threatening to cut her throat! We eliminated them and Meronia has spawned taking Jaheira off the Band. One more rest and Jaheira returned saying we have to go to the Harper hold in Athkatla. Back in Docks we talked with pirate Barg who revealed some information on Isaea and also mentioned one Officer Dirth, who happens to be in the Sea's Bounty right now. There we eliminated that Dirth but Jaheira was cursed by Baron Ployer (Girl, you pulls troubles as  magnet!). Well, with some evidence about Isaea's dirty behavior (along with slavery documents from his house) we freed Nalia and joined her back to the Band. At the same time we hired Terrece to eliminate Baron Ployer. That was quite a surprise for him, heh... So, Jaheira's curse was lifted, Band is full and well again and now is on a way to Harper hold.

Edit #2 (a little bit more).

Band arrived to the Harper Hold only to be threatened again. Fight ensured and BlackStrider obtained a nice ring in the end:

Posted Image Posted Image

Then we headed to the Temple District, got Unseeing Eye quest, Gain the Services of Sir Sarles for the Temple quest, Hunt Anarg for the Order of the Radiant Heart quest and explored local Sewers:

Jaheira summoned Fire Elemental and eliminated Rakshasa (got nice Cloak of the Sewers). 
Fight with Tarnor the Hatchetman's Mercenaries began quite smooth:

Posted Image

but then (and I dont' even now understand how) this happened (full health Jaheira was instakilled...):

Posted Image
(well, may be I just miss something...).

Next was this:

Posted Image

(Valigar saved vs Disintegration! I'm afraid even think him being failed - the whole Planar Sphere is inaccessible... Brrr! So we were very, VERY lucky here!)

After the fight

Posted Image

we immediately went to the Slums and opened Planar Sphere. Just in case...

Another tasks, completed so far:
-Roger the Fence and the Troll
-Hunt Anarg for the Order of the Radiant Heart
-Eliminated Neb (got real Illithium, +rep from Inspector Bregg) and ordered Alloy from Ore Merchant
-Solved the Murders in Bridge District
-Buried Alive quest.
-Aran's job #2: Prevent more thieves from leaving.
-Mazzy vs Gorf challenge

Current Band Of Six state:
BlackStrider - lead guitar, vocals (growling) - Cleric 10 / Illusionist 11
Jaheira - bass guitar (*boss* temper) - Fighter 9 / Druid 12
Nalia - keyboards - Mage 12
Viconia - lead (clean/screaming) vocals - Cleric 11
Valygar - quitar, kantele - Stalker 10
Mazzy - drums, percussion - Fighter (should be paladin) 10

to be continued...

Edited by Serg BlackStrider, 25 August 2011 - 07:06 AM.

Wierdo

Wierdo
  • Members
  • 392 posts
@Corey, Grond0

All this talk about automatic saves ... don't saves always fail on a natural 1 (i.e. before mods)? This is how it works in normal D&D anyway. I've taken this as being the reason why my own characters occasionally might get stunned, although this is rare and hasn't happened to any of Wierdo's party members recently.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
In PnP a 1 is always a fail, but that wasn't implemented in the game. However, having negative saves does not mean you will never be affected by magic:
- there are lots of spells that have a saving throw penalty
- other spells cause a saving throw penalty (such as doom)
- some spells / effects do not use saving throws. For instance power word: stun might be what affects your characters (works on anyone that has fewer than 90 HPs at the time the spell is cast)

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts
Serena the Monk (L34):

Serena went about her business right quick. She helped the Svirfneblin get rid of a Baalor (alas, no screenshots!). It was surprisingly dangerous -- there was lots of fire damage (without a Magic Resistance check), and it used a variation on Entangle (also without an MR check). However, Serena was able to deal damage extremely quickly, so it ended up dead. Serena leveled up to L35. HLA pick: Lunar Stance (3 total).

Serena also destroyed a drow war party. They used various buffs, but as it turned out, Shadow Stance, melee and Dragon Fist won the day.

Before venturing closer to Ust Natha, Serena also went into a little side dungeon to kill a few Kuo-tuans and beholders. While there she gained a Kuo-tuan prince's blood.

It was finally time to move into Ust Natha: Somewhat predicably, Serena was ambushed again, but prevailed. The drow were all mowed down, but then Serena was at AC -17. Serena reached level 36. HLA pick: Lunar Stance (3 total).

Once inside Ust Natha, Serena immediately bought Kaligun's 10% MR amulet and replaced the current amulet with it. She also bought all the interesting potions and the Fire Tooth (+3) throwing dagger. With the new amulet, Serena was at 98% MR when using her fists.

Serena just did the Ust Natha quests as quickly and efficiently as possible. She hit level 37 while killing the priests of the slime cult. HLA pick: Solar Stance. She got Adalon's eggs and gave them back to their proper owner... who, in return, helped kill a fearsome group of drow guarding the exit from the Underdark.

Not quite satified with her exploits in the Underdark, Serena decided to try her hand at killing an Elder Orb. The important thing about Elder Orbs is their ability to cast Imprisonment, so she knew she'd have to keep her distance after the start of battle. On a whim, Serena, decided to try her Quivering Palm as an opener on the Elder Orb. Thankfully, it killed the Elder Orb outright on the very first hit! Serena also hit level 38 at this point. HLA pick: Solar Stance. Serena stealthed further into the cave to get the Greenstone amulet... only to have her Hide in Shadows fail at a critical moment. Serena chugged a Potion of Invisibility and got the heck out of there. Amusingly, the two gauths that had been "awakened" by Serena's presence followed her to the outside. They fell easily (if slowly) to Serena's 108%MR.

Next up: The Illithid lair.